Private Tales Something Amiss

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Kaska swooned into her horse, lying against his neck. "Oh yes. What I would do to have those arms around me," she breathed. She sighed blithely then slid off her horse like flowing liquid, holding the saddle and leaning against him to stop her from slipping straight to her knees.

She wasn't trashed, but the alcohol had fully set in her on the ride and she had hit the sweet spot. She smiled a little at it, alcohol always a drug to her.

"Oo, or what about Fredrick? That jaw line. Don't tell me you don't want your lips on his." She took the reigns, leading her horse into the stables.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Yay
Reactions: Lia
"Not my type." The man was a bit of an idiot. Not to mention a sore loser.

Lia had faced most of the Rangers in the citadel during sparing this week. A few of them had managed to best her once or twice, but by and large she'd managed to take each and every one of them down at least once. Most had taken it well enough, but a few had been more than a little wrankled about losing to a girl.

Frederick had been one of them.

"Pick someone better." She told Kaska. "Or be smart and wait until youre back in Alliria."

She glanced at her friend. "There's plenty men there who will gladly take you under the sheets."

Lia hiccupped again.

• Yay
Reactions: Kaska
Kaska went to slink her arm back through Lia's, pursing her lips at the suggestion. "I don't know. I think I'm- I think I'm done with them for a bit. M-Men. Th-the fucking. Not the looking. Oooh, I'll still look. But." She bit her lip, leaving it at that.

"What is your type then?" She asked, changing it. "Name a face! Maybe we can find you a doople next time we go back!" She got excited at the thought, content to set Lia up at least.

• Yay
"There was a boy." Lia began with a slight smile touching her face. She didn't know if she really had a 'type' per say.

She had never really gone for any 'sort' of man, not specifically anyway.

"He was an Anirian." From the city of war. "A kind man, but sharp, and better than me with a sword."

Lia smiled for a second, then continued. "But more than that...he was kind, something not really expected from someone like him."

Kaska blinked, looking over to Lia. She didn't noticed she had stopped walking, she just did it, studying Lia for a long moment.

"Wow." She commented, resuming her steps. "A man better than you at a sword, that's a rare one. An Anirian though." She crinkled her nose.

She paused for a moment before asking carefully. "What happened to him?"

• Yay
"He went back home." Lia frowned for just a brief second. "Then he was killed."

That was the standard in Vel Anir of course. Nobles who did not play the game of houses, Nobles who were kind and good did not last long. That was the way of things there, as depressing as it was. She let out a sigh and then shook her head, not wanting to ruin the mood.

"The point is, I like men who go beyond the expectation." She tapped her nose.

"A musclehead who likes books, a skinny guy who knows how to fight." Lia shrugged. "Someone that goes beyond himself."

And isn't an asshole.

"Oh." Kaska murmured, her voice growing quiet at that reveal.

She fell silent for a moment, walking in silence and leaning into the woman. "I bet there was more to Philp. You know, besides the thievery," she grumbled, rubbing at her face as she referenced the man she felt Lia was lightly chastizing her on.

"There's just never really time to get to know them, yanno? Always on the move, never in the same place. Sometimes a cock just has to be a cock. Or you have to go for the rangers. S'why my mom was a ranger too,I bet. Work's never done," she mocked in her father's voice.

• Yay
Lia of course knew that Kaska was right. There was never really a great opportunity for them to actually get to know anyone while they worked as Rangers. They were always on the move, always doing things, and never around the same people save for the Rangers they worked with.

"Well." The Sergeant said quietly. "There's always my offer."

Lia said quietly. "You'd stay in the same place, and Allira does have some nice...people."

She wasn't entirely sure if Kaska was only interested in men, but she would not judge either way. Her lips thinned for a second though, deciding not to add on further.

She still did not want Kaska to think she was just trying to get rid of her.

"Yeah," Kaska murmured softly. "It does..."

She fell silent, struggling with the choice she had been putting off all night. "My father would disown me," she informed Lia. It was neither a negative or a positive. It was just another factor to the hard choice she had before her. She didn't even know where to begin with it.

• Yay
"I see." Lia said with a frown, nodding in understanding. That was something she could truthfully not even imagine. Her father would always support her, no matter what she chose to do.

As long as she was not slaughtering villages anyway.

"The decision is yours anyway." She told Kaska. The words were not as great of an encouragement as she would have liked to give, but Lia didn't quite know what else to say. The Sergeant had never really ever faced such a problem, her family was supportive, always had been. "Either way, I'll stand by you."

Lia offered a smile.

"Besides...probably best not to make that decision right now." Not when drunk.

• Yay
Kaska crinkled her nose, hurriedly gropping at her pack to make sure she hadn't misplaced her arrows throughout her buzz.

That would be just like her, honestly.

She relaxed, finding them there.

"Probably not," she agreed her arm loosening on Lia as they approached her door first.

Kaska looked onwards hesitantly, for some reason... not wanting to depart. She swallowed this back, confused by it.

"Anyrate. ... thanks. For ... the help."

• Yay
She frowned for some reason, though just shook her head. "Get some sleep, Kaska."

Lia said, her voice a bit less soft than it had been before.

"Drink some water before bed." She sounded almost like her mother now, though whether she liked that or not she wasn't entire sure. There was a part of her that thought it was a tad much, but she thought Kaska probably needed it at the moment.

At least a bit.

"Tomorrow we'll head out." She smiled. "When we get back things will be different."

• Yay
Kaska straightened a little, her face hardening. "Ma'am," she agreed.

After a pause, she simply turned on her heels and left, following orders.

The next morning was a buzz of activity, the selected crew gathered in the courtyard, preparing silently. Kaska would be found there, on time and saddled up. It would be a ride to the ship, the mornings misty air clinging to their ankles.

• Yay
Lia wore her full armor once more, the platemail covered in patches of green and a shawl of blue. The sword that she and Kaska had recovered from the Vault was strapped to her back, her sword-breaker on her hip and in her hand was the blade she had carried for the last few years.

Her lips were thin as she stepped into the courtyard, her gaze wandering slowly over the twelve other Rangers assembled there. She spotted Kaska first, smiling, and then gazing at the others. Both of the men that they had talked about last night were also there, dressed in leather armor and cloaks of green.

"Alright." She'd seen the list before hand of course, but this was the first time it really felt real.

Without another word the Sergeant crossed the courtyard, finding one of the stable boys had already prepared her horse. She took her spare sword and slipped it into a hold on the saddle, clambering up into her saddle and seating herself before she turned the Horse and regarded the others.

"We head to Alireth." Her voice was firm, commanding. "Kaska is my second."

The declaration was met with a slight grumble from some of the men, though others said nothing. "We have no time to waste, so lets go."

She was a woman of few words.

• Yay
For the first time, Kaska blended in well with the others, Now that she had lost her sword and she had found no replacement, her armor was being left behind. She wore the same leathers as the others, her bow at her back and her cloak clipped at her neck. Her hair, for once, was tied up in a bun, as most woman were driven to do when they used a bow as their weapon.

Never wanted the arrow to go flying and take a stray hair with it. That shit hurt.

Kaska nodded to Lia at the woman's arrival, petting her mare's snout affectionately. Lia's words of greetings were short and left her stunned, her attention snapping back up to Lia as she spoke them.

Just as quickly, everyone was dismissed. Kaska took a moment more to saddle up, glancing around at the other rangers as she did so. She kicked her horse into a trott, pulling up besides the woman.

"You never cease to surprise me," she commented, still glancing around to catch whiff of the other's reactions to her.

• Yay
As Kaska pulled up alongside her Lia pulled the sword from its place in her saddle. She held the woman by the scabbard, the sword well wrapped in a heavy leather belt that had once been strapped across her chest.

She offered it to Kaska. "It's only logical. "

The woman said with a smile, not saying anything else on the subject. As far as she was concerned Kaska was the best person for the job. Though she of course had her troubles, no one else besides her knew anything at all about the Lich or where they were going. Nor did they know what the two of them had been through.

The fact of the matter was Kaska would do a better job than ant of the men in the party.

Whether they accepted that or not she had no idea, but it didn't really matter they would have a days ride to the sleepy little village on the river, and from there they would hire a boat and continue on their mission. Inside of a week they would be able to see the first of the fortresses, and from there...

From there things would take off.

Kaska double took at the offer of the woman's sword, struck a little breathless by it. She glanced up at Lia, looking at her inquisitively for a moment before accepting it without a word.

She spent a minute getting it around her, pinching her knees tight to her horse to keep her up and him moving. After one last adjustment she had it strapped across her chest, crisscross with the quiver and bow against her back. She felt surprisingly secure with both straps hugging her chest in an x. Almost as if she was in armor again.

Still, she felt it was best she had left that armor behind. She planned on taking on a more distant fighting tactic this time, leaving Lia to the sword work and covering her back with arrows. She needed mobility for that that her armor did not allow. Not to mention ...While she had never tested this theory... she was mildly certain she'd look like a flailing bimbo if she ever was forced to do sword work next to Lia.

And that was with a life of practice.

She settled back into her saddle, looked once more at Lia, and then said nothing, riding silently by her side to the ship.

• Yay
Most of the day was spent in silence, at least from Lia.

The other eleven Rangers and even Kaska chatted among one another, keeping their tone relatively quiet as the day went on. A few times someone asked about their mission or where they were going, and each time Lia simply told them to wait or that they would be doing their duty as Rangers. A few of the older men always chuckled when she said it, shaking their heads at the more brash younglings.

Eventually the small port town came into view as they reached the crest of a hilltop. Lia stopped, pulling the reins of her horse and turning slightly to face the other men and women who had come along. "Now that were here, I'll tell you what we're doing."

Some of the men leaned forward in their saddles, clearly excited. A band of twelve Rangers didn't often just pop up out of nowhere.

"There's a Lich in Reach." She said simply. "We're going to kill it."

• Yay
Slowly, Kaska found herself relaxing amongst the other rangers. Maybe she had just been around Lia for too long, but took some effort to not be stiff and respond to their banter.

In truth, she was braced for a bad reaction to her. It didn't come though, not in the way she expected. Lia had everyone's general respect and while some begrudged Kaska being placed a step above them, everyone knew the two had just come back from a mission together. They knew they were missing details and unlike what kaska of old would have done, they handled this situation with professionalism.

It helped that she wasn't being rude to them. Funny, that. People will respond kindly to you if you're at first kind to them.

By nightfall Kaska was easily chatting and laughing with the others, a sight that Lia would have never caught before on their old missions.

Kaska sobered up when Lia briefed them, her hands tightening on her reigns as she watched the others respond. Some were shocked. Others looked worried. One or two looked eager and few held no emotion on their faces at all. She spoke up then, feeling some reassurance was needed and that maybe that was best left to her.

"We've already discovered a way to defeat it. On our own. As long as we keep our strength in numbers, Lia or I should be able to take it down. The only threat is... It's source. And if there is more than one." She left it unsaid-- if these factors came to be, well, the others had very solid reasons to be worried. But they weren't without hope.

• Yay
These men were Rangers.

That was what truly struck her when none of them reacted in fear. A few looked concerned, some even worried, but none of them protested. They were Rangers of the Reach, men and women who had sworn to protect the people and who would do so even if it was dangerous.

She felt a hint of pride strike her chest. She could understand hesitation, she knew why many of them would feel it, Though as Kaska spoke she could see some of the men ease themselves in their saddles.

There was trust there. "We can do this."

She said simply, adding a final word to what Kaska had said.

"If I thought we couldn't I wouldn't have brought all of you." It was a simple fact, and all of them knew that. They knew her, or at least her reputation.

• Yay
Kaska decided to keep all her skepticism thoroughly to herself. She had already vocalized it to Lia. Her thoughts were known, and they had already agreed on a plan if her fears proved true. She wouldn't destabilize Lia's position with the men by expressing them.

She had her part, she made sure all the men knew the full spectrum of what they were facing, as Lia has requested of the majors. Now it was just a matter of being proved wrong and getting out of this whole.

It struck a small bit of awe in her to see the men nod and relax under Lia's reassurance. That woman. She never stopped surprising Kaska.

Kaska snorted, dismounting. "Well then, let's not waste time. Dib's on the stern cabin." She led her horse to the stables they'd all be kept in, a ship no place for a fleet of horses.

• Yay
Moving without horses would be more quiet, plus it would also mean that they would need to carry less supplies.

She had sent a servant from the Keep down to this village two days ago to charter a ship. The river boat was large enough for all of them to fit comfortably, and the Captain was a man who had retired from the Rangers some twelve years ago. He was still loyal, and most importantly he could keep quiet.

The Lich had learned of the Bracelet somehow, and Lia was still not sure how, so she had kept the details of her plan as close to her chest as possible. As they headed towards the dock, each shouldering a pack laden with supplies some of the villagers watched them curiously.

This many Rangers in one place meant trouble.

"Captain Tollavar." Lia called out to the man, dressed in an odd green coat who was standing on the side of the deck. "Is she ready?"

The Captain nodded enthusiastically.

"Aye, she's ready."​

• Yay
After one last goodbye to her mare, Kaska grabbed her pack and half dragged it to the ship. It was no longer full of outfits and small objects, her pack full of all the same gear the others carried. She pushed on past the others, a little eager pep to her step as she started at the plank without invitation.

She had never been on a ship before.

Did a stern cabin even exist? Hell if she knew. But if it did, she hoped it had windows. "How are we taking off at night?" She asked the captain.

He chuckled and pointed out around them. "It's a river, lass, there's no tides. We can take off when we damn well please."

"All the better for cover," Thiereth added in behind her.

Kaska turned around, perking noticeably at the sight of him. Lia was right, so muscular... Kaska blinked and cleared her throat. "Dibs on the stern cabin."

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Yay
"There's no cabins, lass."

The Captain said with a small shake of his head, looking at Lia with a perked eyebrow as if in question of who it was she'd actually brought along with her. "She's used to the woods."

Lia explained with a smile.

A sloop was a small low ship. There was no underside to the vessel, save for the bilge of course. The vessel was designed as a river boat, and only a river boat. It carried cargo and passengers on it's deck and had a single mass with a sail. There were some tents set up, but aside from that?

Nothing but the open air.

It also meant the ship was fast, exactly what Lia wanted.

Hefting her things, Lia climbed the gangplank onto the ship.

• Yay
Understanding hit Kaska in a woosh. She looked around the deck, seeing it clearly for the first time. Her bags slid to the ground, clunking there.

"But what do we do when we have to piss?" She asked, turning to avoid being jostled as the rest loaded on.

That got her a chuckle and a wink from a few of the others. She gaped.

"Ah, hell. You've got to be kidding me."

The captian chuckled, patting her on the back before slipping past her. "You'll get use it, lass. 'Sides we'll take nightly stops for water and pissing, just gotta hold it in."

Kaska gave Lia a very indecent look, picking up her pack and huffing further onto the deck.

• Yay