Private Tales Sliver of Time

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Baise

Occult Investigator
Character Biography
Link
Valthar groaned as he woke. He caught himself halfway through making the involuntary sound. His injuries were not serious, but the kind that left the body aching for days. It was what you got for charging at an undead giant.

He wasn't under the covers. That he did expect. At some point in the night he had escaped the heat of the covers to a murmur of protest from Miriel. He laid an arm across the blankets and nothing solid stopped his arm falling. The door to the bedroom was open, which meant she was already downstairs.

Valthar padded across the room to find his clothes. They had been scrubbed in the hot springs but that hadn't removed the stains. The payment for the job was larger than he had expected. Coins were an oddity, but he understood that he had more than enough for a new set of clothes. He dressed in what he had and made his way downstairs.

Míriel Fëanorna

• Yay
Reactions: Míriel Fëanorna
Miriel had wanted nothing more than to keep sleeping. She had tried hard to ignore the rising sun but it had pulled at her until she could take it no longer and groggily slid out of the bed on silent feet. Valthar would need the rest more than her, it was he who was going to suffer more bruises today. She threw on some clean loose clothing she found in the bathroom, splashed icy water on her face and then headed out to the horses to deal with them. Thorlion was the first to greet her though he snorted his distaste for the man's smell that clung to her skin, rubbing his own head against her in an effort to replace it.

"You're an idiot," she laughed, shoving him away before she began to section a bit of the field off for their training session later. She set up a few pieces here and there that would be helpful before making her way back in. Her back was a particular problem so whilst she put the sausages on to fry she dropped to the floor to do a few stretches.

It was with her legs spread to either side, her fingers touching her toes and her head against her thigh that Valthar found her. She glanced up then carried on with her stretch on the other side.

"Good morning - breakfast should be ready soon."

• Yay
Reactions: Baise
Valthar turned to Miriel, to the food and back again. A Nordenfiir was rarely without hunger for long and the scent of meat being cooked evoked a deep pang of hunger.

"Is the stretching because of the fighting yesterday or because this training is going to be intense?" he asked with one eyebrow raised. His long hair hadn't been braided yet and fell loose about his shoulders.

• Yay
"My back is still sore from yesterday," the elf admitted with a grimace. Once she was content she had done all she could to help with the muscles she stood up and went back to the food. "But the training will be intense too, though I am fairly confident it will not be me ending the day with more bruises," she glanced over her shoulder and gave him a dark smile. Once the food was done she plated it up with some thick slices of bread and passed it to him.

"How are you feeling? The bruises looked nasty when I woke up," her eyes drifted to his sides.

• Yay
"Yes they will get more colorful too I think," Valthar replied. He lifted up his tunic and showed bruises starting to blossom across his ribs.

"Just, please don't hit me in the ribs too much today," he chuckled. Valthar regretted chucking, bringing a hand to his ribs and wincing.

His kind were hardy creatures, he was still going to take her up on her offer. Valthar had suffered worse before and he would get worse again before he made his way home.

• Yay
Miri winced when he lifted his tunic to show the black, purple and blue painting across his ribs. It looked incredibly painful yet he only seemed to wince every now and then. She was impressed he hadn't broken something in all honesty.

"It's what you get for being so cute and fluffy - everyone wants you," she left her food half finished as she moved to a cabinet in the kitchen and retrieved a small clay pot. Motioning for him to lift his tunic again she applied a little bit of the salve gently to the bruising. He should hopefully feel a cool sensation spread across his ribs as she rubbed it in circles across the affected areas. Once she was done she screwed the lid back on and washed her hands thoroughly.

"You can put more on this evening. Try not to get it on your hands - if you do wash them straight away. It's made from a plant from the jungles, it helps ease inflammations in the skin," once she was certain it was off of her she returned to her food and finished it.

"So how much training have you had in the art of fighting?" She had seen what he could do and it was clear he had had to learn whilst doing for most of his techniques.

• Yay
"I am fluffy this morning," he admitted. His hair had been free since the hot springs and each hair had chosen its own path. "If you think the necromancer found me cute, remember the flesh golem she was upset at losing..."

Valthar's lips twitched in just the hint of a smile. He was not his father, a man who drank and roared and laughed all evening. He didn't define himself by entertaining and telling jokes.

Even replacing his tunic the smell of the balm clung to his nose as he finished eating, but it was a small price to pay.

"Some training when I was younger. Everyone in my village has to know how to form a shield wall. Everyone is expected to do some practise a year," he explained.

• Yay
The joking disappeared when they began to talk about training. There was a subtle shift to her as she grew more serious and thoughtful, cupping her tea between her hands. Basics were fine, they could be change of built upon. It also explained his fighting techniques more in the cave. She took a sip and nodded to herself.

"Ok, well let's start there while you're healing - it's easy to build up from the basics and I can see what areas we need to focus on this afternoon," she set down her mug and slid off the side. "Do you have a preference to sword and shield or axe? Bit of both?"

"Never really learned the sword much," he replied. "Normally used a smaller axe with a shield."

He was fairly certain he could use his new axe in one hand with a shield. Perhaps not for the hours than a norden might be expected to hold a shield wall in a time of war, but certainly long enough for the kind of small fights he had found himself caught up in recently.

"I am willing to learn, but we are bound by time...I suppose..."

Valthar was still trying to work out how long he should ask to stay for. He had months ahead so it was a balance between what he would gain for the delay. In another manner, it was a case of his heart being pulled in two directions.

• Love
"No that's fine, I can work with whatever time you want to give this - I don't want to delay you. My door is open for as long as you want to stay. It's going to be tough work though," her face softened a smidgen to give him a half apologetic smile before she listed her head to the door.

"I'm going to go sort out a few more things for the training. When you're ready just come to the horses field I've set up an area in there," and with that she disappeared out to the fields.

Outside in the arena Miriel had fenced off a large square. Some of the horses watched curiously every now and then but otherwise seemed more content with the grass. Inside the arena she had an array of different shields and axes and a few swords stuck into the ground along with a few make shift mannequins made of straw which looked as though they had already taken quite a beating. When she saw him approach she picked up none of the weapons however - nothing but a stick.

"Ok. I need to assess where exactly you are so I want you to try and hit me," she stood perfectly still in an open spaced part of the arena with her hands and the stick behind her back. "When you're ready."

• Yay
That clarified things. She was happy for him to stay longer. It clarified things and also made the decision about how long to stay more difficult. There was his injury, the additional training and the sex. There was the tundra and his boat.

Valthar slowly stepped through the fence that marked the training area. Miriel had been busy preparing. He cast his eyes across the ground, choosing a weapon.

He picked up and axe and held it up towards Miriel.

"I know this is going to be a very painful lesson, but are these all blunted?" he asked, looking down at the axe head. He had seen her fight, seen her flow around wraiths as if she was water. He was more worried about falling on his own weapon that striking her.

• Devil
"Weapons aren't blunt on the field, they're not blunt in here," her tone was relatively flat and she watched him as he got the feel for his axe in the his hands. "Don't look so scared you faced a Necromancer yesterday, I'm a tiny titchy elf. Much less terrifying," she ran her eyes down his form as he readied himself then clicked her tongue and walked forward, tapping one leg lightly with her stick. "Let's start with your stance. Where you are right now look how easy it is for me to knock you over," she shoved him to demonstrate - hard. "Put your feet back like this then your arms here. There now look at the difference," she shoved him with the same force.

If he seemed to understand she would go back to her original position with her hands shoulder width apart and her hands behind her back.

"Come on Valthar - hit me."

• Yay
Valthar realised that the time for idle conversation was over. Inside the training area was different from the outside.

He took a slow breath. Being shoved off balance triggered that response which sent the heart racing.

He knew that he wasn't going to hit her. He knew it was going to hurt him instead. The best chance he had was to try and keep her on the defensive at least.

Instead even for him the first swing was telegraphed and slow. There was a mental block between his swinging arm and Miriel being in front of him.

• Yay
Miriel simply side stepped the swipe - it was indeed slow and textbook and she pressed her lips into a thin line. She hadn't even had to move her hands from behind her back. She could see the struggle he was having though, and could appreciated it, but it was something he needed to get over.

"Valthar, you need to focus. I cannot help you improve if you hold back. This is a training ring and it is a safe environment," a soft sigh. "I know you have doubts over some of my magic but please believe me when I say these are my weapons and they won't lay a scratch on me even if you manage to land a hit. Look." She stepped forward to the axe head and ran her hand sharply down the head. It should have left a nasty cut but before she had touched it it had glowed faintly. She showed him her uninjured hand before moving back to her position.

"Come on. I'm not the woman you're having sex with in here. If you give me such a shit swing again I'm going to be the one hurting you and you'll be sleeping on the floor on your own this time," she quirked an eyebrow. Maybe the challenge to earn her bed would get him going.

• Yay
"Oh," he went, watching her thumb slide across the axe. He held up a hand in apology. "I'm not trying to be difficult, it's just not easy to swing properly."

Sparring was different back at home. They used shield and axe and went through more relaxed routines together. They only went full on with blurted weapons or staves.

Valthar raised the axe. His forward step was over extending, but he added some subtlety in the swing. It started from above her left shoulder, but his tug at the base of the haft arced it around to come down towards her right.

• Devil
Miriel hummed at his words but said nothing in response - it was quite clear she was waiting for him to prove it with action. She watched the move calmly as if it weren't coming at her at all and she were assessing afar. As it seemed he might actually get a hit as it curved towards her right she merely ducked, stepped right so the swing breezed past her on the left side.

"Not bad - you seem to have realised your problem with your feet that's fine. When you swing your axe you want to engage your hip more, swing with the force coming from there not your shoulder," she picked up a shield from the side and threw it at him then picked up her own.

"Again."

• Yay
Valthar picked up the shield. It was a familiar setting. Shield and axe, facing off against someone else. It was not being alone.

He grinned at the challenge. Valthar wasn't quite sure how he engaged his hips and used that power, but he tried not to throw everything from his shoulder.

Valthar came back in, a more testing strike followed by a chop on at her shield. He was trying to look for that angle where he could hook the head of the axe over the shield and yank it down but she was quick.

• Yay
On seeing the grin her own smile began to form but it quickly vanished when she watched his next movement, again assessing. She held the shield in a typical stance so it would not be too unfamiliar to him. It wasn't a bad strike, he was getting more confident now which was good. She wouldn't feel so bad when she gave him some new bruises.

Miri let him get a purchase on her shield to pull it down but once it came down the stick was there and it smacked down against his tender wrist. Using the moment of pain it would cause she then brought the stick back around and brought the stick against the back of his knee to take his leg out from under him, then stepped back.

"The head of your axe isn't the only weapon. Use all of it. Your swing was better. Here," she picked up her own axe, the stick sliding into her boot. "See how when I swing I turn my hip?" she glanced to him after she did the move. "Try and come onto the balls of your feet a bit more, keep the weight there so you can move quicker. Now with your axe when you do a move like that you leave this entire side of your body open," she motioned to the axe arm. "To avoid that, when you hook a shield slide your other hand further down the shaft so it will give you the momentum to swing the shaft up and block an attack," as she spoke she demonstrated on the dummy.

"Try it again."

• Yay
Valthar saw the world in quite simple terms. That determined focus was always useful to him. He had a form of tunnel vision on his current task, rarely distracted from it. He could mend nets for hours at a time without distracting thoughts.

When Miriel spoke, he listen and practised. He mirrored her movements slowly, repeated towards the dummy and then stood before her again.

He came on again, snapping a quick blow down that struck her shield and rang out across the field. He kept advancing, looking for the hook on the shield, weary that she would find a new way to sting him with that stick. She probably had a few hundred ways stored up for disarming up.

• Devil
There we go.

Miri actually had to put a bit of effort into blocking the blow with her shield on that occasion and the smile that spread across her face was one that might strike terror into a novice. As he hooked the shield she pulled back with a strength her size said she shouldn't possess, bringing them tight together and trapping his weapon against their torsos.

She lightly tapped him on the backside with the stick.

"Good strength and hold, when you hook a shield turn the head slightly so stop me doing this again. When you hook a shield you want to be quick, fling it aside to expose their torso. Again."

She released him and stepped back.

• Yay
Valthar was trying to shake off confusion for how easily she moved past everything he had. He had never been particularly skilled in one on one fighting. His father had always relished the challenge and rarely lost.

It was fortunately that he had found his svalen in the summer lands or else he would not have even made it this far. Where swordplay failed, turning into a bear that could tear a man in half with a casual swipe.

Valthar came forwards again. He tested her defences as she drew him in. This time he tried deception, as mild as he could conjure. He pulled the strike that seemed to be for her shield and drove his shoulder into her shield, looking to swipe at her calf.

• Popcorn
Miriel was strong but she wasn't quite Nordenfiir strong and the ram of his shoulder into her shield sent her feet skidding backwards slightly. She had expected a hit to the shield though so it didn't jar her shoulder as much. What she hadn't been expecting was for him to change tactics and swipe for her calf. It was a good move and when it hit her skin the axe hummed and glowed. It left no mark but a tear in her leggings.

"Very good. Let''s see how your defences are now," there wasn't much more warning than that before she twisted her shield and used its rim to smashed aside his shield and then brought it down lightning fast against the inside of his wrist in the hopes to render it useless for the next few minutes, or at least weak. Her feet shifted as she twisted her hips in much the same movement she had just taught him but with a shield rather than a weapon to block any strike he might make with his axe. If she were successful her hand which held the stick would snake underneath her shield arm to gently tap it against his waist. Unless of course he did manage to use some of what she had shown him already to stop her.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Yay
He growled in pain. The rim of her shield sent a jolt all the way up to his shoulder and back down again. Valthar wasn't paying attention to her feet. He should have been.

He felt the sting of her strike before he realised she had gone low. It wasn't even a powerful swipe, but the surprise had him half-leaping back away.

He grimaced, keeping his shield arm up despite the pain. He reset his stance, waiting for her to come on again. He lacked a great deal of the training he needed and had little muscle memory for a one on one fight. He did, however, have enough determination for three men.

• Popcorn
"If you want to know what a person is planning watch their eyes not their feet," Miriel waved her stick like a teacher might as he leapt back and reset his position. No matter how hard a person trained there was always a flicker in the eye that a movement was about to come and more often than that an indication of where it was going to go. No two fighters ever just stared one another in the face and stoically moved.

She began a slow meander around him as if she had all the time in the world. Her whole body looked equally relaxed as she twirled her choice of weapon.

"Both shield and weapon are a part of you, extensions of your limbs. Do not think of them as separate just that they give you more reach and a sharper sting when your attack hits," she was looking for errors in his stance but he had taken on her advice.

But just how quick was he on those feet?

Miriel's next strike was similar to his earlier one. Her shield smashed into his with force.

Valthar's axe would likely scrape the grass and mud of the field as Miriel demonstrated the speed that had got them through the caves the precious day. For instead of locking the shield into combat like he had attempted she sprung back and twisted behind him in the moment he was distracted by the possibility to hit her. Instead now she had his exposed back at her whim and he was already slightly off kilter with the weight of the strike he had started. So she merely helped him on his way in that momentum and planted a boot firmly on the square of his back and pushed, sending him stumbling and perhaps even to the ground.

Her shield would be flung to the side but the small smile she flashed him would make it obvious she had counted on being opened up across the torso. As the axe came down she moved her stick up and connected it under the head of the axe then pivoted it with some force. The action would twist the axe awkwardly in his grip causing him to either let go of the weapon or find his arm twisting round awkwardly to. If he left it to late his entire arm would be pinned up behind her back which is when she dropped her own stick, caught it in her shield hand and held it to his side. If he had dropped the weapon sooner when the pain only started to become uncomfortable then it would simply be a matter of stepping on the weapon and letting the stick slide down the seam of his arm to jab it into the weak spot under his arm.

Miriel blew a bit of hair from her face.

"Not bad."

• Yay
Turns to page 20

When her shield hit the ground, bouncing into a roll, he thought it a good time to pause the lesson. After all, he had followed her advice on the shield rip and carried it out successfully.

The look had been a warning. The axe was yanked from his grip, coming to land on the head in the grass, handle pointing upwards.

Valthar reacted quickly. He wasn't experienced, but he was fairly balanced and powerful. He snatched her right hand, which was why he was thoroughly surprised by the stick slapping into his side again.

A flare of frustration shifted quickly into surprise.

"How..." he said before his mind caught up with his eyes. "Oh."

• Popcorn