Open Chronicles Share The Strangest Magic You Know (open to any magicians)

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Harrier

The Necromancer
Character Biography
Link
An abandoned temple, The Shallows, Alliria

The premise of the meeting was simple enough: come meet other magicians, and show them something strange or unique you've learned about using magic. The far-flung world of magic encompassed more diversity than anyone knew for sure. Many schools, wildly divergent traditions and priorities and allegiances and life experiences - and abilities too.

"Alright," she said to the circle of gathered magicians. "All I know is I'm not going first. Who's got something unusual to share? Anyone learn to shapeshift with magic yet? Always wanted to see that."

There were, of course, comfortable chairs and hot drinks and a fireplace. She was a necromancer, not a barbarian.

A quick slam of the door to the temple followed the light conversation of the many mages inside it. A quick straightening of his coat and a tap of his hat to remove the water from it before Jeremiah even realized he'd intruded on something. "Oh! Pardon me fellows. Just avoiding the rain a bit. Didn't expect a congregation inside a place such as this. Dreadful swamp, isn't it? Can hardly move in the thick soft ground. Just here to wait out the downpour, carry on."

His glowing eyes panned the room to see naught but casters and arcanists in his view. This was curious, perhaps he'd accidentally walked into a sort of ritual gathering? Not the safest place for him to be, though he'd made his bed for the time being. Perhaps conversation would keep him from losing his head.

"Might I ask what the occasion may be? You all look like quite the talented bunch." He walked his cane a bit closer as he brushed some swamp muck from his gear laden legs.

• Yay
Reactions: Harrier
Jeremiah got every scrap of attention. The conversation died faster than a tasty elf in Molthal.

"Be it armor?" croaked a decrepit hedge-witch.

Harrier, for her part, was flashing back to certain city of automata in the Spine, a place she'd barely escaped. But she'd done so while assimilating the contents of hundreds of books, each thousands of years old. Some touched on beings like this.

"No. No, he's alive in his way. A steel golem of sorts. Welcome, traveler. I'm Harrier Wren, and we're having a social of sorts, trading magic tricks and eating finger foods. Would you care to join us?"

• Popcorn
Reactions: Jeremiah
"Why, of course!" What luck! Friendly strangers. He hadn't expected something so welcoming in a decrepit place like this. He stamped his cane, unaware of what an echo it would cause. It even gave him quite the jolt. "My, this place certainly is vast." He said, a bit embarrassed. He then picked his pace back up to come and join the group.

He peered quickly around at everyone, offering a nod to each, then turning to Harrier who came across as the ringleader. "I must be a bit rude and state that I cannot partake of your meals, but am happy to share some magic! Though I would require an assistant, if I may be so bold!" He moved back again about thirty feet.

"Is this? This should be okay. I don't think any of you would miss me, right?" He spoke as if planning something, his eyes looking around the temple as he held his chin with his free hand. "Alright!" He said, stamping his cane again. Making yet another loud echo. "Lord, I may never remember this place does that... Now! Someone take a shot at me. Whatever magic you desire!" He sounded very confident.

Traditional College magic was notoriously low on true battle spells, but had plenty of 'hit the thing' options. While others chuckled or hesitated, Harrier went to conjure a small hex.

She stopped. A decrepit wizard was mumbling a phrase over and over. His fingers twisted painfully. A spell took form between his hands, a glowing lamprey with a gaping mouth.

A magic eater.

The spell flew toward Jeremiah

• Wow
Reactions: Jeremiah
Jeremiah raised his hands at the impending attack, excited to use his magic. As his situation was so peculiar, he rarely had the opportunity to use it. While his entire being was due to magic it wasn't entirely simple to just show himself off without the display of conceit. That would be preferably avoided but if they were looking for a magic show then show em'!

As the lamprey reached about an inch in front of Jeremiah, his extended hand immediately displayed a circle of pure white with runes decorating the spell. The lamprey looked to have gone through his magic circle but very visibly did not come out the other side. When the last of the lamprey was no longer seen the spell dispersed into dust and vanished; Jeremiah completely unscathed.

"I must be honest, I'm not sure if defense is even anything worth showing! It is but all I have."

• Yay
The wizard grumbled under his breath. Other reactions ranged from surprise to enjoyment to apprehension.

"That's a nice ward," Harrier said. "If you don't mind me asking, what did it feel like when the magic-eater curse hit it? Any different than when a generic spell comes its way?"

She made a fist and threw a small vanilla fireball at Jeremiah, for science.

"Truth be told." He rose his hand once more to deflect the fireball. The circle reappearing and devouring the spell once more, and vanishing right on cue. "I can't feel anything when I do this." He adjusted his coat a bit. "The only things I know about it is this is the only true spell I can manage. I know that it devours magic, as to how, that is lost to me. It can ward off curses, projectiles, and even mind controlling abilities. Those are all that I've been able to test it on." He scratched his metallic head a bit.

"My master imbued me with the spell so he would know. Though I can't so much as ask him anymore."

• Yay