Fable - Ask Shallow Tidings

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first

Mortimer Greenweaver

Might Warrior of Epicness
Character Biography
Link
"I think I may have gotten myself lost again."

Even though Mort had been living in Alliria for a few years now, the place still felt fairly foreign to the man, nor did it help that he was never the best at mental directions. He swore he had bought a general map of the city when he had came, yet here he was, having taken a seat on what he assumed was a low wall. It didn't help either that the shallows were not his forte, having gotten a few looks coming at him that he assumed were curious glances. He had heard plenty of things in regards to the place by those in the keep, mainly that the place wasn't exactly the friendly sort of place, but there was also the stories he heard where as long as you weren't a pompous thickwig you'd likely be fine. As such he had decided to stick with his usual travel getup, having wrapped his scarf slightly tighter as not to get it dirty. Not that the place was dirty, more...naturally aligned.

At the very least, he knew that this expedition into the slums wouldn't be a complete waste. There was always work to be done for his line of work, and while he wasn't exactly looking for it, if someone just so happened to cry 'Oh someone please help! Think of the children!', or 'Oh no! That cutthroat just stole my live's savings!', well that was up his alley. If someone did scream those sorts of things out here though, it was likely to be some sort of trick. Didn't matter though, Knights helped those in need, and while he wasn't a knight in any which way legally, officially, or whatever legal jargon he didn't know, a bounty hunter was close enough to that so long as he stuck to the law.

But first, food. Unpacking his lunch he'd pull out some jerky and began munching on it as he tried to think of what he was going to do next.

Urchin

• Cheer
Reactions: Urchin
Urchin, on the other hand, was far from lost. Unlike the stranger who'd recently arrived, he was right at home here among the buggers, whores, thieves and other high society gents and ladies that The Shallows had to offer. More than that, he felt safe here. Safe because he was such a pitiful little beggar in his baggy shirt, torn, dusty old trousers and shoeless feet that he had absolutely nothing worth stealing on him. (Except of course for the organ harvesters, but they only came out at night, so he was safe for now.)

Rather than earning his living in his usual method of stealing for his supper, Urchin had decided to take it easy for the afternoon, and was sitting on some empty crates on the docks where the travelers came and went. On the floor was his oversized newsboy cap with a couple of coppers inside and in his hands was a lute that he played a few basic chords on. Right now, he was singing a lovely little folk song that he'd picked up at some grubby tavern somewhere.

"There once was a farmer who sat on a rock. Grumblin' an' groanin' an' shakin' his... Fist at some boys who were down by the crick. Their feet in the river, their hands on their... Mables an' playthings from the old days of yore. Along came a lady who looked like a.... Stunning young creature, the boys were awestruck. She said she was learning a new way to... Teach all 'er daughters to sew an' to knit. While the boys in the stables were shovelin' up... The content of the stables from after the hunt. The butler was feelin' a nice piece of... Linen from the tables in the big dinin' halls. Along came the young maid to play with his... Dog in the kennels where it did belong. If ya think this song's dirty, yer fuckin' well wrong."

Mmm, jerked beef, one could never could go wrong with it. Except with herbivores, but they were the exception, and he couldn't really fault them for getting shafted in terms of the dietary department. Still, taking his time to eat the beef let Mort take a moment, breathe, and get a better awareness of his surroundings. It wasn't like the hustle and bustle of the market, yet it still held familiar sounds, people going to and fro, doing their best to get through life's daily challenges. The sounds of chitter chatter from the port in the tow- right, how could he have forgotten about the docks! there was likely someone there who could help him get around this malcontentious maze of a district. Sub-District? Didn't matter, semantics were for those who had to deal with it on the regular, and he wasn't doing that anytime soon again. Slipping the remaining jerky inside a pocket within his clothes, he'd hop up from the wall and briskly jogged his way down to the piers.

As he made his way down, doing his best to take care not to knock into anyone and cheating a little by slimming his body as he moved he'd pick up the sounds of music getting louder the closer he got, the few years of bounty hunting forcing him to pick out separate sounds paying off now. A minstrel? Doubtful unless they were here looking for new folk songs for the upper class which was as likely as him being able to eat a Leshy Leg. Perhaps a Bard? While he couldn't recall if any Elbion school were of the Bardish kind, that was more likely. God he hoped it wasn't a bard, to spoony even for him. Maybe they were just a friendly local? Probably the third as he was hearing simpler chords, but simple music worked for simple folk. And then he began to make out the words, almost confirming it was the latter. He wasn't sure whether to be in pain from the deliberate avoidance of basic rhyming in the song, or if he should be impressed that he kept falling for the slip-ups.

Arriving at the source, his emotional decision was made up. Not pain, not impressed, not even joy, just...neutral. His guess at the source was indeed correct, but not in the way he would have liked. He was in the slums, no shit it was likely some poor folk trying to get some coin. The newsboy cap was pretty cool though. He could mentally berate himself later about his mental faux pas, he was pretty sure he was beginning to stare. At a child. Like a-nonono. He could play this off, yes, that he could. Shaking his head a little and then tapping his temples, he'd give a smile, begin casually walking forward like was was totally meant to be there and put his hands together, .

"Well, I hate to say it but I am indeed 'fuckin' well wrong'. I'm a little ashamed I fell for it, but it was good nonetheless."

Right right good yes smart introduction Mortimer very well done genius of the year pull out the coin purse wheredidyouputthecoinpurse. Oh there it was. Digging into his coin purse, Mort would obliviously pull out three silver and toss it into the hat.

• Haha
"Well, I hate to say it but I am indeed 'fuckin' well wrong'. I'm a little ashamed I fell for it, but it was good nonetheless."

Urchin laughed at the man's comment, happy to see that his little song had gone down well. He looked up at the man hopefully and, whether it was his angelic singing voice or the big green puppy eyes, he managed to earn himself some actual silver! Three silvers infact. Usually he was lucky to get a handful of coppers. Right now, the lad felt downright rich! "Hey, thanks Mister!" the lad said, quickly scooping up the coins in his hat and slipping them into his pocket. He was planning on singing a few more songs, but he didn't want to risk an opportunistic sneak thief like him swooping in and stealing his hat, now that it actually had enough coin in it to be worth stealing. "Yer a right stand up guy, an' that's rare ta find 'round these parts." He said as he donned his cap (which hang at an angle sue to being too large for him) and swung his lute over his back.

"Say, ya ain't from 'round these parts, are ya?" he asked conversationally. There was nothing in particular about the man that would give him away as a foreigner, but the fact that he was happy to walk around the Shallows with silver in his pocket, and he was happy to show off that silver by throwing it in a lowly street urchin's hat indicated that he knew little of the Shallows reputation. "Where ya from? Ya lookin' fer somethin'? Maybe I can 'elp." He offered, picking himself up off the ground. Rich men's sons often came to this neck off the woods, usually looking for cheap drugs, cheap liquor and cheap women. If this was the case, the boy could easily direct him to any. And perhaps the man would give him an extra little tip for pointing him in the right direction.

It took a few seconds for the factotum to realize that he had, in fact, tossed silver coins instead of the copper coins he intended to toss into the hat. Not the worst thing to ever happen as giving to the poor was a virtue which would probably earn him brief favor from a god, but having to dip into his really cool sword fund was going to suck for a week or so. Thankfully he hadn't reached into the place where he kept his gold coins, no they'd have to gut him to get those, quite literally in fact. He could make this work out though, the child before him had seemingly taking a liking to him and was being cordial. The cynical & cautious side of him was almost certain the kid was going to help just for more money, and it was likely true given the kid's state of clothing. Still, if the boy was willing...well he wouldn't say no to some help.

"I'm grateful you think of me in that way, and you're right, I'm not exactly from here, not that I mind admitting that. I've been living in the Outer City of Alliria for a few years now thanks to...reasons, but I'm Elbion; born & raised." His eyes took on a slightly more somber tone as he gave a smile while pointing his thumb at his chest. He had heard of what happened to the city and how it was thrust into the air by a calamitous magical event, and he was grateful when he had gotten the letter stating his parents were alive and slowly recovering. But a tragedy was still a tragedy, the thoughts of returning to home he once knew, now foreign were...well he didn't want to think about it.

Lowering the thumb, he'd continue on, pushing his troubles aside, it wasn't the kid's problem after all. "As for why I'm here, well it's a mixed bag of things, but I'm mainly just trying to get a feel for this place and the people who live here, both casually & professionally. I'd rather see a friendly face then a hostile one whether it's me getting some unique foods or if I get a contract because someone didn't pay up." He doubted that the title of 'bounty hunter' was taboo, but until he knew it wouldn't get him hunted down in his sleep, well he'd play it safe. Then the rumors surrounding 'district loyalty' or whatever they called it came back. Thank the gods he hadn't said Inner City, no need for people to get the wrong idea about him. "I get if me living in the City proper is enough to turn ya away, but I wouldn't blame you if you did if the rumors are true. Gotta' look out for yourself first otherwise you ain't going to be able to look out for others, or something sagely like that." He'd shrug, not really caring if he got the saying correct. It was close enough and the kid was probably smart enough to get his positive intent.

"I'm grateful you think of me in that way, and you're right, I'm not exactly from here, not that I mind admitting that. I've been living in the Outer City of Alliria for a few years now thanks to...reasons, but I'm Elbion; born & raised."

"Oh, yer from Elbion?" the lad said excitedly. "What's it like? Friend o' mine went ta Elbion once. She said ya got all kinds of magic stuff there. Ya know, like music boxes what can play any tune ya like, an' dream catchers what can give ya special dreams, an' candles what always smell like ya favorite smell, whether it's lavender or fresh baked bed... That would've been awhile ago mind. Ya know, before it went flyin' an' all." Not exactly the most tactful boy was Urchin.

"As for why I'm here, well it's a mixed bag of things, but I'm mainly just trying to get a feel for this place and the people who live here, both casually & professionally. I'd rather see a friendly face then a hostile one whether it's me getting some unique foods or if I get a contract because someone didn't pay up."

Urchin nodded at that. Coming into the Shallows, wearing those strange clothes and casually flaunting his money about, the boy couldn't quite tell if this man was extremely confident and capable, or if his was just naive and green as summer grass. Though there was one way he could maybe find out. "So, what kind o; contract would ya be gettin' 'round these parts then? What kind o' work ya do?" If the man said mercenary, then perhaps his confidence was warranted. If he said merchant trader... Well, Urchin would feel sorry for the poor fellow, knowing he'd probably be robbed and dead in a gutter somewhere by morning.

"I get if me living in the City proper is enough to turn ya away, but I wouldn't blame you if you did if the rumors are true. Gotta' look out for yourself first otherwise you ain't going to be able to look out for others, or something sagely like that."

Urchin just gave a casual shrug of his shoulders at his concerns. "Ah, nuthin' ta worry about. Folks come out 'ere from the big city all the time. Us Shallow dwellers wouldn't get no money if they didn't. Not ta mention 'alf the folks down 'ere is workin' fer the folks up there." Besides, if any trouble did start on account of this new comer, Urchin was clearly a local and could probably ditch the man to his fate with no trouble.

"So, ya just explorin' then? Not goin' nowhere in particular? Could give ya a tour if ya like. Let ya know where ya can find all the best wine an' women... An' where ta stay the hell away from if ya value yer internal organs."

Mort nodded, holding his demeanor steady as he really didn't want to think about the calamity, but there was a time and a place to mope about his hometown, and this wasn't it. The question was just about the stuff, not family, he could easily answer that. "Well, I'd say that at the time Elbion was kind of like how Alliria is now, just with a more magical focus. I myself didn't leave the residential district much back then, so I can't tell you anything much about the fancy things that we didn't own, but I can confirm that those fancy dream catchers do exist." He'd hold his hand to his chin, temporarily lowering his voice slightly as he thought aloud. "Probably can still make a simple one if I get the reagents."

Removing the hand and saving the thought for later, he'd move on to the next question. "My work? Well, it really depends on what sort of things I can pick up. Sometimes people need a guard, sometimes a seamster, and sometimes a performer. Generally, unless it falls outside my moral code no job is truly out of the question. Technically I'm a qualified bounty hunter, but unless the person skips town or the contract holder isn't as worried about collateral, I'm usually passed over by a knight or guard by the richer folk." It was one of the painful truths of his line of work, the inconsistency of the work, though that might've been just a him problem. He didn't mind it, the pay was good and it gave him time to do things he preferred, but he just wished half of the people were people he could reasonable punch in the face for being worse then scum instead of a weasel trying to get out of a legal obligation. "Still, even with the hit & miss work I've seemed to make it this far, so I ain't complaining."

He was also relieved to hear that his social class wouldn't be held against him, at least not by the kid. "Right, looks like I need to remind myself how basic economic flow works again, and a tour would be much appreciated, please and thank you." He'd dig into his purse properly this time and pulled out a few coppers, handing them to...wow they never exchanged names, he'd need to fix that soon. "Here's a few for showing me around as collateral in case something does pull me away before you finish showing me around. I know it isn't as much, but I doubt the bars or fine ladies would want me to start a tab I can't keep now, would they?" He'd give the kid a cheeky grin, trying to be a little funny even if he doubted he'd be buying anything today now that he used up his silvers. He could lose some coppers though, a bear or two was usually enough to fix that amount of capital loss.

"Well, I'd say that at the time Elbion was kind of like how Alliria is now, just with a more magical focus. I myself didn't leave the residential district much back then, so I can't tell you anything much about the fancy things that we didn't own, but I can confirm that those fancy dream catchers do exist." He'd hold his hand to his chin, temporarily lowering his voice slightly as he thought aloud. "Probably can still make a simple one if I get the reagents."

"Really?" the boy asked, eyes going wide with interest. "Ya know 'ow ta make magic stuff? 'Ow does it work? Do ya need ta put spells on it an' stuff, or do ya just 'ave ta use stuff what's already magic?" Urchin himself had no aptitude for magic whatsoever, and so everything about it completely fascinated him.

"My work? Well, it really depends on what sort of things I can pick up. Sometimes people need a guard, sometimes a seamster, and sometimes a performer.

"Performer?" he asked curiously. "What kinda performer? Like, in a circus or summin'." Urchin loved to watch the performers at the circus. Of course, he could never afford the entry fee, but he always found a weak spot where the tent wasn't pegged down so tightly so he could sneak in underneath. Running away with the circus was the boy's dream... If he could ever develop the skills to work there. "I can walk on my 'ands fer awhile. 'Ope that if I keep practicin' I might be able ta do it on a rope one day. Watch," he said proudly as he unlooped the lute from across his back, took a couple of steps backwards and then throwing himself forward to land on his hands, wobbling for a moment and using his hands to walk back and forth until he caught he balance.

Technically I'm a qualified bounty hunter, but unless the person skips town or the contract holder isn't as worried about collateral, I'm usually passed over by a knight or guard by the richer folk."

"Oh, a bounty 'unter. Well, that's swell," he complimented the man as he looked at him upside down. His baggy shirt falling down about his stomach, exposing that his scrawny upper body was wrapped in bandages, indicating that the lad had a penchant for getting himself into fights he couldn't win. "You'll be popular with the ladies 'round 'ere, that's fer sure. We get loads o' nasties 'round these parts. All kinds of 'em. Nice ta see someone 'round town what actually does summin' 'bout 'em. Not that folks 'round 'ere 'ave enough coin o 'em ta 'ire a bounty 'unter."

"Here's a few for showing me around as collateral in case something does pull me away before you finish showing me around. I know it isn't as much, but I doubt the bars or fine ladies would want me to start a tab I can't keep now, would they?"

Money! Urchin quickly dropped his trick of standing on his hands and gracefully flipped himself back to his feet. He was getting quite good at this! Maybe one day he could join the circus after all. "Thanks Mister," he said, holding out his hands to receive the coins, admittedly a bit disappointed to see that they were coppers instead of silver. It was at this point that the boy clued on that maybe the stranger hadn't intended to give him silver in the first place... Well, tough shit, they were his now! And Urchin certainly wasn't going to turn his nose up at a few coppers just to wonder around town pointing out the brothels, bars and sordid underground gambling dens. "Sure thing, Mister," he said with a wide smile, leaning down to grab his lute and strap it around his back. "Follow me!"

As he led the stranger across the docks, rather than simply walking across the planks, Urchin instead opted to climb onto one of the wooden posts, pegged into the muck to hold the docks in place, and jump from one to the other as if they were stepping stones. "Now the docks 'ere are always busy. I'd say it's probably the least dangerous place in the Shallows fer someone ta get their asses beaten, an' the most dangerous place fer gettin' yer pockets picked, so keep them purse strings tight. Usually they're unloadin' wine an' spices an' all the nice foreign stuff in the day, but at night, that's when the smugglers come in ta unload all the powder an' opium an' stuff. Usually best ta stay away then. Captain's get real jumpy that someone might be an undercover guard, so if yer passin' by at night, walk quick an' dun make eye contact with o one unloadin' any suspicious lookin' cargo."

The boy then gestured to a large inn that stood right on the edge of the docks, looking like it could collapse and fall into the river at any second. "That there is the Siren's Song. Mostly caters ta sailors. Lots o' cheap rooms fer a sailor ta spend the night an' cheap women fer 'im ta spend the night with... But I wouldn't visit that place if I was ya. Sailors can be a real rowdy bunch when they're pissed. Always lookin' ta pick fights with someone what ain't one of their own."

Arriving at what looked like an old, rundown warehouse with boarded up windows, no longer in use, Urchin lowered his voice to a near whisper and gestured to the building behind him. "Now this place might interest ya. Dun look like much, but every Friday an' Saturday night, they got this big, underground fightin' ring going down in there. No limit on bets an' no rules in the ring. I like ta watch the fights sometimes an' they get real messy. Get too close ta the front an' you'll get splattered with some poor saps blood. Lucky the city guard dun know 'bout this place, or they'd shut the whole thing down in a second. 'Eard some folk even die in the ring, but I ain't never seen it 'appen."

As he came to the last of the wooden posts holding the docks up, Urchin jumped down in front of the newcomer with a grin. "Ain't nuthin' left of the docks what I can think would interest ya. Wanna go somewhere else?"

Mort would put his gloved hands up and shrug. "It really depends on what sort of magic a person uses, like how five blacksmi-no, better example; like how five bakers can make the same sweet roll with different methods. They'll fill you up all the same, but each one has differences you can taste if you pay attention." It didn't help that most pneuma artifacts didn't last long without a secondary discipline to hold them together, and with his lack of skill in creating Rune & Script at the moment, what little magical items he could make were closer to trinkets then proper magic items. Still nice to have, but outside of an oddity store or personal use they weren't that useful or cost efficient.

He was surprised to see the boy flip himself over once he had mentioned he could be a performer, and he had to stifle a laugh down to a modest chuckle out of respect for those around. "Heh heh, not bad kid. Keep that up and you might give me a run for my money." Mort just couldn't help but be entertained from the boy's earnestness. While Mort could walk on his hands as he could alter how his hands were built to a degree, the kid was doing it by raw skill & dedication. It was the sort of dedication that could get this kid far in life, were it not for the life situation. He'd need to think on that. "And yeah, that's one kind of performance I can do. Not enough to become a main act sure, but enough to get paid while also being given a smile. Who knows, I may even put on a small little show later."

Hearing the kid's thoughts on his main profession were flattering, if a little saddening. Knowing the guards weren't doing a good job in the slums wasn't surprising, but it still wasn't pleasant to hear. "I figured that might be the case; the pay, not the ladies. Not that them liking me is a bad thing, though I'd feel a little bad for those poor bachelors. Doubt I'll be able to clean up all the crime, but a Warrior's got to do what he can to make the world just a little nicer, even if the world's just a district for the day." He'd give a thumbs up and a smile, not caring about how much of a cheesy goody-two shoes he must have sounded like. Sure he wasn't perfect, but it was part of his beliefs. He probably looked even more foolish given the kid was looking at him upside-down.

While seeing the kid stand on his hands was impressive, seeing the kid recover made him wonder what the kid did in his free time. There was the stereotype of circus workers being a front for thieves- no, he couldn't think that way. It was possible, sure, but that was the sort of thinking that caused places like the slums to form. Shaking the thought he'd give a quick "Following!" to the boy as he watched him jump upon the posts, reminding him of his own youth. He'd stay quiet as the boy gave gave him the works of the area, giving small nods to show he was listening, making small notes in a journal he pulled out so he could find these places later, as well as the tips the boy gave him. While he likely wouldn't be going to the Siren's Song, the fighting pit was a little tempting. When the boy had asked if there was anywhere else he wanted to go, he'd think for a moment before responding. "I've heard that the markets here have some uncommon items that can be of value, you have an idea as to where I could find those? Depending on what they have I could probably get the materials I'd need for the Dream Catcher."

• Cheer
"And yeah, that's one kind of performance I can do. Not enough to become a main act sure, but enough to get paid while also being given a smile. Who knows, I may even put on a small little show later."

"A show?" the boy asked enthusiastically. "That'd be swell, Mister. What kinda tricks ya got up yer sleeve? Can I watch?"

"I figured that might be the case; the pay, not the ladies. Not that them liking me is a bad thing, though I'd feel a little bad for those poor bachelors. Doubt I'll be able to clean up all the crime, but a Warrior's got to do what he can to make the world just a little nicer, even if the world's just a district for the day."

"Ah, dun ya worry none 'bout 'em bachelors, they're all down the brothels anyway. You'd be doin' them ladies a favor takin' 'em off their 'ands." Urchin joked as he continued to walk down the street. Something caught the boy's attention though, when the stranger mentioned about making the streets a little safer. "Well, there's a notice board a bit further up on the outskirts. Ya sometimes get bounty jobs posted there. Usually it's just some rich bastard puttin' out a hit on some poor bugger what cheated 'im in a card game, but ya get some legit stuff too. Want me ta show ya?"

"I've heard that the markets here have some uncommon items that can be of value, you have an idea as to where I could find those? Depending on what they have I could probably get the materials I'd need for the Dream Catcher."

"Oh yeah, I know a few places like that! Old Mama Tashi sells all kind a bits fer potions an' rituals an' stuff. She's an old blind lady from Cerak At'Thul. Dun even think 'bout sneakin' nuthin' though. I 'eard she got all kinda nasty curses on the place so that anyone what robs from 'er gets all kinda rotten luck fer seven years." Luckily, Urchin had not been on the receiving end of this curse himself. Not because the woman didn't sell anything he'd like to get his hands on, but because robbing that little shop would go against his one and only moral principal... Never steal from a blind person. That would be too low, even for him.

"Come on, it's right down 'ere," he said as he led the man down worn cobbled streets and alley ways before coming to a makeshift little shanty town, filled with buildings pieced together from scrap metal and driftwood. Approaching one of these buildings that had a strong smell of incense coming from inside, he pulled aside a bright red rug that was being used as a curtain to reveal an extremely elderly, dark skinned lady, dressed from head to toe in layers bright colors and smoking a pipe that, from the smell of it, contained something a bit stronger than tobacco. "Jambo Mama Tashi," Urchin greeted the old woman. "I bought a new friend ta see ya. 'Es lookin' fer stuff ta make magic dream catcher."

"What's that?" the old lady asked in a shaky voice. "A dream weaver you say? Oh come in dear, come in. You know, my old bones have been bothering me for so long, I haven't had a good sleep in years. Maybe we could work out a deal, my friend. Come closer child, let me hear your voice."

There was barely enough room in the little shop for two people to stand between the shop keeper and all her assorted wares. But if the man wanted magical items to purchase, he certainly wouldn't find himself at a loss in here. There were voodoo dolls, tarot cards, ritualistic masks and talismans, all sorts of assorted charms, beads and inks and an eerily large range of preserved dead animals parts. Anything a spell weaver could ask for, especially if he was well versed in the arts of dark magic.

He'd give a small chuckle when asked about his tricks. "Now that would be telling, and if you're around when I preform I wouldn't be adverse to another audience member." He could tell, yes, but what fun would that have been? It was the sort of spoiler he was averse to, one that would dilute the experience in the future.

Hearing that the bachelorettes would be happy was, well it was likely an exaggeration, but that didn't mean there wasn't truth to it. He might actually be forced to bring home a gal to his parents once life became more stable for them. Not that he wasn't against it, no it was more that getting a significant other would require settling down or risking disappointment. Problems for later though. The board was a lot more interesting though, and something to distract him. "Sure, you can show me once we've taken a look at the market."

Following the boy once again as he took in that the shop owner they were going to meet was blind, he'd wonder if the loss of their eyesight was natural, magical, or mortal in nature. Likely magical, eyes were a good source of arcane power and trading basic eyesight for a more magical variant wasn't out of the question, even for him. He'd also continue to take in the area, both to just enjoy it and to try and understand what it could bring to him if he were to work here. It was amazing what a person could do with imperfect materials, and while it wouldn't be a place he'd like to stay, this little shanty of a sub-district had done well with what they had on hand. For all he knew it could have some sort of underlying magic holding bits of it up; it probably wasn't though except on the seams.

Before he had even entered he smelled the incense, he had to bring up his scarf to dull the smell. While pneuma didn't bother with the magic of smells, it did increase his ability to recognize foreign particles in the air as breathed in from enhancing his senses, just in case one were to take in 'impure air' like poison gases. Even if the Incense wasn't magical, he didn't want to spend time repairing his lungs. Again. So he'd activate the filtering rune on his scarf with an exhale as he entered. Closing the rug-curtain behind him he'd give a small and careful bow, not trusting that she didn't have some sort of way to 'see' them, but knowing well enough that if she didn't it was better to show some respect and look foolish then insult her if she could. "This child appreciates your hospitality Madam Tashi. While I'm no proper artificer, I'd gladly help ease your bones."

Glancing around, he'd note that the place was something that wouldn't have existed in Elbion, somewhat recognizing the reagents one could use in outlawed magic. But he did see some of the components he could use in a very basic catcher and maybe a complex one, though he's need to inspect their quality to know for sure. "You have quite a collection ma'am, I think I see a few items here that I'd be willing to make a trade for; in addition to the dream catchers of course."

• Cheer
"Oh, I do not expect any miracles," Mama Tashi replied, "But if you have any dreams you can weave that can distract the mind from the pains of the physical realm and focus them solely in the realm of dreams, well, I'm sure a good night's rest would do this old woman a world of good. Now, which of my little treasures have caught your eye?" The old lady spoke with the calm wisdom of one who has many troubles and has learned from many years of experience that there is little mere mortals could do against the hands of fate, save lay back and let the tide carry them where it would.

"You have a kind soul young man," Mama Tashi commented thoughtfully to herself. "I could hear it the moment you opened your mouth. So polite and respectful. Your mother did well by you. Unlike this little rapscallion here, you have to keep your eye on this one., she said, commenting on Urchin. "Now don't you be giving this nice man any trouble young lady, keep your hands in your pockets where they belong."

"I'm a boy, Mama Tashi," Urchin reminded her for about the fiftieth time, but he didn't expect her to remember. Her mind was starting to wonder in her old age. Still, she was like a grandma to everyone in the shallows and the boy couldn't help being fond of her. "So, what do all this stuff do?" he asked aloud as he pawed through an assortment of pierced healing crystals that looked like they'd be perfect for weaving into a dream catcher. "Do different kinds o' beads an' feathers make folks 'ave different dreams? Like dreams o' the sea, an' dreams o' flyin' an' stuff?"

He'd give an affirming nod. Dreams, or rather illusions, were within the realm of pneuma. Enchanted illusion pneuma was...trickier, but still possible thanks to his studies. As for her question, he'd gesture to the deck that he assumed were more of a material component then actually enchanted, it was hard to tell from a glance. "The Tarot cards were what caught my eye. My mother had a set when I was young, and while she didn't use them often...well I think after Elbion it wouldn't hurt to try and glimpse the future every so often, if not for guidance then more for comfort." He had a gut feeling Mama Tashi would understand some of the plight that weighed on his heart & mind. Age begets wisdom, and wisdom was something he found comforting. And unlike most 'wise people' she wasn't talking down to the both of them, so that helped.

Mort would let out a small chuckle when she poked fun at the child. He really did need to ask their name later, the fact neither of them had introduced themselves to each other was itching at the back of his mind. Not here though, the kid likely didn't have magical talent from his curiosity, or just never had the time to pick it up, but Mama Tashi would likely understand the power of names. "I'm grateful for the compliment and the concern, and I'll be sure to send the gratitude her way as well." Yilm would probably get a kick out of it, not that she wouldn't be glad she would be told she did well, but that it was from a semi-shady blind woman who might be peaking at his soul. Good for his family's moral at least.

He'd take a moment to think about Urchin's question. The healing crystals might've be a good conduit to dull the pain by enchaining the mind's pain tolerance, but combining the enhancement and the illusion would cost more then he figured Tashi would be able to pay, let alone himself. "Beads and feathers can have an effect, but for me it's less of a direct magical effect and more of a sympathetic & symbolic effect. I could go into detail, but I don't want to waste Miss Tashi's time so I'll sum it up. If more people believe in a correlation, generally the easier the cast & stronger the effects." There was more to it, some disciplines benefited from this psuedo-rule/kinda-observation more then others, Rune & Script having the opposite effect at times, pneuma sitting around the middle. But if his encounter with the faithful was anything, well belief clearly had an effect. "And with my skill in enchanting, small advantages like that are welcome, provided the client is willing to supply the materials for it. Amethyst is preferable, but Red jasper and Green jade are good substitutes off the top of my head."

"The Tarot cards were what caught my eye. My mother had a set when I was young, and while she didn't use them often...well I think after Elbion it wouldn't hurt to try and glimpse the future every so often, if not for guidance then more for comfort."

"Elbion?" Mama Tashi asked, "Oh, you poor boy. Yes, I understand completely. Who would ever have thought that such an event could happen in our life time? I'd certainly be willing to trade you a little peace of mind for a few hours of undisturbed rest. Though, I should ask first if your dear mother taught you how to read the cards. Even the finest deck cannot predict so much as rainfall in The Spine in untrained hands."

"Beads and feathers can have an effect, but for me it's less of a direct magical effect and more of a sympathetic & symbolic effect. I could go into detail, but I don't want to waste Miss Tashi's time so I'll sum it up. If more people believe in a correlation, generally the easier the cast & stronger the effects."

"Oh, okay, I get it..." Urchin lied. He did not get it. He did not get it at all. "So... Ya gotta believe in the magic, or the magic wun work? Summin' like that?"

"And with my skill in enchanting, small advantages like that are welcome, provided the client is willing to supply the materials for it. Amethyst is preferable, but Red jasper and Green jade are good substitutes off the top of my head."

"Oh, I keep plenty of amethyst in the shop, young man," Mama Tashi advised him. "Everything from little polished beads to great, curved geodes in the back. Though it'd take something very, very special in trade to convince me to part with one of them. That or half a dozen gold pieces," she said with a gap toothed cackle. "The beads on the other hand, I would be more than happy to offer in trade. Red Jasper beads also, if you think they would assist, along with any kind of feather you could put your mind to. I have everything from peacock to eagle. Green Jade I have also, though mostly in the form of carved dragons and pixiu to bring luck and protection. Perhaps your dear mother in Elbion could rest a little easier with one of those guarding her night stand, hmm?"

Mama Tashi considered carefully for a moment before finally making her offer. "Let's come to an arrangement, shall we? To create a dream catcher that can bring me some much needed rest, you can use any item my store has to offer. The hoops and lace, I'm afraid my humble shop does not provide, as weaving dreams is not my specialty. Though I am sure you could find such simple items for mere coppers in any market square. In return, I would be happy to offer you a simple tarot deck, along with five silvers worth of goods to assist in your travels. And of course, any other trades you have in mind, I would be more than happy to consider. I take it my offer is more than fair?"

"Oh wow," Urchin said in surprise. "Five 'ole silvers? Bet ya could buy all sorts o' good luck talismans an' protection charms with that. Could come in real 'andy when yer out 'unting bounties. Look, this rabbit's foot pendant is only 60 coppers. You could buy like..." Urchin's words trailed off as he struggled to do the math in his head. "Well, more 'n five of 'em." Though whether or not the bounty hunter would want to have part of a little dead creature hanging around his neck all day was uncertain. Still, there were far more appealing forms of pendants, rings and bracelet charms to be found in Mama Tashi's little voodoo shop.

"She showed me the basics, though I'll likely need a refresher." God, how long had it been since his mother showed him? He couldn't even recall what the reading was about, but one of the cards stuck on his head, the six of swords. Transition if he recalled right, yeah that about summed up that time for all of them.

"Close. What's a better metaphor..." He'd close his eyes as he tried to think of something local he could use as an example. And then he remembered; the boats! Ah, that should work. "For some, belief is like one of the pullies on the docks. You could lift a box by hand, but a pulley makes it easier to move." Yeah, it probably wasn't much better, but it was something at least.

He took a few seconds to think over miss tashi's words before replying. "...I can work with red jasper beads." Yeah, no. He was not paying five gold to improve a commission without appropriate compensation. He was paid well for his other forms of work, but not that good for a dream catcher. "As much as I'd like to get one for her, even my wallet has limits, though...hm." Luck charms were always a little strange to him. Sure there was ways to manipulate the strings of fate with magic, luck was very fickle for the soulful weaver. Mort was very aware that his luck was not the greatest, or rather he had bouts of massive luck that occurred in the minutiae of his day to day life, while the big events it was almost always down to his raw skill; life was ridiculous like that.

"That deal sounds fair enough, guess I'll be getting a luck charm or two then." Yeah, he was likely going to give a charm or two to the kid. "In that case we better go and get the materials we need. Show me the way...huh. I don't think you've given me a name to call you by, now that I think about it."

• Cheer
"For some, belief is like one of the pullies on the docks. You could lift a box by hand, but a pulley makes it easier to move." Yeah, it probably wasn't much better, but it was something at least.

Mama Tashi cackled at Mortimer's expression. "Yes, yes, I suppose that's true. I'll have to use that one in future," and she continued to chuckle at his words as if there were a further level of humor to them that the others didn't understand.

"In that case we better go and get the materials we need. Show me the way...huh. I don't think you've given me a name to call you by, now that I think about it."

"Huh?" the lad mumbled, only just now realizing that despite all the time he'd spent with this young man, the pair had yet to exchange names. "Oh yeah, I forgot. Well, most folks 'round 'ere just call me Urchin. Picked up a few other names 'ere an' there, but Urchin'll do just fine. 'Ow 'bout you?" he asked as led his new friend out of the shop.

"See ya later Mama Tashi. We'll be back soon with all the bits an' pieces!" he said happily before heading back into the street. "Shallows market ain't far. Ya can get stuff pretty cheap there too. All smuggled goods, so no tax on 'em, ya know?"

Once the pair reached the edge of the market, the lad suddenly stopped in his tracks. "Ah, look. 'Ere's that notice board I were tellin' ya 'bout. Not sure if any of 'em are bounties though, I can't read none. You should take a look though. Bet there'll be summin' on there about that Wendigo. Nasty business that. Rips folks ta shreds an' then eats 'em... An' worst part is, even after they caught the guy, 'e still got away. Arrested that old maker when they caught 'im eatin' that poor girl. Lock 'im up an' the guy starts screamin' 'bout "Where am I? What'm I doin' 'ere?" An' that. 'Course they 'ang the guy, an' a couple days later some other poor kid gets eaten. Wendigos can posses folks, ya know? So I guess if one guy can't kill no one no more, they can just switch to some other poor sap. Don't nobody know who it could be, 'cos could be anyone. Even someone ya known fer years an' years. Ya never know."

Indeed, there was a posting about the Wendigo on the notice board, with a reward of 100 gold pieces for anyone who could capture the beast alive or dead... Of course, that was easier said than done, as it wasn't simply the host that needed to be destroyed, but the beast who possessed it too.