Fate - First Reply Sex, Death, and Love

A 1x1 Roleplay where the first writer to respond can join

Love

Love is Blind
Character Biography
Link
"Will you walk into my parlor?" said a spider to a fly;
" 'Tis the prettiest little parlor that ever you did spy.
The way into my parlor is up a winding stair,
And I have many pretty things to show when you are there."
"Oh no, no!" said the little fly, "to ask me is in vain,

For who goes up your winding stair can ne'er come down again."

The Palace of Velvet was not always a bastion of sin, where one with enough depravity and coin could pay for any morally bankrupt fantasy to be fulfilled. There had been a time when worship had happened within those walls, calls to a higher power by men and women of faith and unyielding belief. Then wealth and lust had gripped the hearts and souls of those devout few with its all-encompassing snare, and the once holy place was baked in a constant soak of evils and vices until it had risen like yeast into a palace of the immoral, a fortress of the carnal.

It didn't help that the surrounding town had fallen into trying times. The settlement of Yuhl to the north of Vel Anir, on the fringes of the Savannah. At one point, Yuhl had been a vital trading mid-point between Anir and Elbion. As time passed, however, Maraan emerged as the most popular trading hub in Arethil, and most people completely forgot about the once-popular space.

The town still stood, but its most popular export now was sin. With no in-demand material goods to their name, the people of Yuhl turned to the black market to sustain their economy; Sex, drugs, and crime now ruled their streets. The black heart of it all was the old church that stood in the center of town, gutted and turned into a brothel. For the right price, you could rut, drink, and indulge to your heart's content.

Oh, but their latest patron... He had a different vice he wanted to fulfill.

“I’m sure you must be weary, dear, with soaring up so high;
Will you rest upon my little bed?” said the spider to the fly.
“There are pretty curtains drawn around, the sheets are fine and thin,
And if you like to rest awhile, I’ll snugly tuck you in.”
“O no, no,” said the little fly, “for I’ve often heard it said,
They never, never wake again, who sleep upon your bed.”

The tall, slim figure clad in a coat as black as obsidian glided across the ground in soft, undetectable steps. The brightly painted doors of the palace seemed to slide open to greet the masked man like a lover's arms, otherworldly smoke flowing from the opening like water, curling into beckoning fingers as Love vanished within. In a single step through the doorway, the Palace of Velvet became a living breathing spider's web, and all within were ensnared in an instant.

What did they think of the man in the smiling mask, those unholy and unwashed, engaged in the pleasurable and exhilerating? A figure clad in all black with skin as pale as death stood out among the dimly colored lights that hung above beds both hidden and exposed, tables covered in spirits and poisons. Would they turn their heads back to their flesh and fuel? Would they dare to tempt the stranger? To beckon him into their temptation? Or would they see him for what he truly was? As a reaper, come to collect?

Serryn entered the church. Except it wasn't a church anymore, and any of the earlier worshipers likely would have had a stroke if they had seen the activities taking place in not just the church, but the whole town.

The air was thick and dark in the Palace of Velvet, and already a droplet of sweat ran down Serryn's back. Under her hood, she did not bat an eye at the bodies moving in the shadows and across the floor in front of her. None of them noticed her in her dark cloak that seemed to shift colors as she moved between the dim but colorful lights. She blended in, which was exactly what she intended.

She pulled her hood down, revealing her pointed ears. Now she began to earn some attention, but a look from her didn't let anyone linger too long. As she was walking, a thick arm slid around her waist and then she found herself pulled down onto a man's lap. Without blinking, Serryn had a curved dagger unsheathed and pressed against the man's favorite part. "Rather small," she whispered, and the man released his grip on her, deciding she wasn't worth it. She stood and walked away as he reached for some other poor girl.

A contact of hers who hadn't lived very long had led her to this hell hole, infamous for its sex, drugs, and crime. Not a place for children, Serryn thought, as she saw a human girl of no more than 13 scurry past her.

She scanned the people in the room. It was hard to fight the urge to kill everyone in this room, but she needed answers, and she knew she could get them here.

Her attention was taken when an unusual patron walked in the doors. His hair was as black as skin was white, and he stood out like a sore thumb. Was he just plain stupid, or looking to make an entrance as dramatic as possible? Either could be possible.

Love

Removing the mask from his face, Love donned a thin smile and paid his fee for entry. A place among the entangled bodies, he claimed to seek. The Madame did not refuse, and Love was whisked away to a world of earthly desire in a private room at the end of a long hallway. It was on his path that his sunken eyes met those of another, one whom he felt not the taint of this place caked upon.

It was only seconds, in brief passing that he looked back into her eyes. In that singular moment, she would see the ice behind the facade of lust in his gaze. People were going to die here tonight, whether by her hand or his.

A set of lips immediately pressed to his, a bare skinned woman sliding from beside Serryn to claim his mouth as he was pulled into the private room, roaming hands sliding under the folds of his clothes, exploring flesh previously untouched as he fell upon the soft mattress, so giving it threatened to swallow him in its downy embrace. In each pale hand a breast, at his hips a bared and desperate woman, lost in the haze of need, following his movements as if he were the lighthouse in the deepest reaches of the fog

Said the cunning spider to the fly, “Dear friend, what shall I do,
To prove the warm affection I’ve always felt for you?
I have within my pantry good store of all that’s nice;
I’m sure you’re very welcome; will you please to take a slice?”
“O no, no,” said the little fly, “kind sir, that cannot be;
I’ve heard what’s in your pantry, and I do not wish to see.”

Love's hands wandered, releasing their grip. His nails raked up their chests, and he felt them gasp as the swells in his hands were replaced by throats. "So lost..." He thought. "Adrift in this intoxicating prison. They know not their own hell, but I will show them. I will set them free."

And so Love released them from their subjugation to sin, the warmth pouring from their necks down his arms in searing scarlet rivers as they fell limp at his sides. No longer were they beholden to this endless cycle. Now they were safe, in Mother's arms. The woman straddling his waist was too distracted by the rapture wracking her body to notice what the man she rode astride had done, not until she felt the cold steel of a knife embedded in her stomach. She stared down at him, shock and betrayal overtaking the now dwindling pleasure in her core.

The hand that did not hold the knife in her gut slowly came to rest against her cheek, twirling locks of her long, brunette hair that fell so alluringly over her shoulders and chest. Then, a smile. Not happy or murderous, but sad. So quickly their time together had come to an end, but Love would remember her, and in time they would reunite.

"I'm sorry." He whispered through his sorrowful smile. "The Mother has chosen me alone, but she will look after you for me when your journey is complete."

“Sweet creature!” said the spider, “You’re witty and you’re wise!
How handsome are your gauzy wings, how brilliant are your eyes!
I have a little looking glass upon my parlor shelf,
If you’ll step in one moment, dear, you shall behold yourself.”
“I thank you, gentle sir,” she said, “for what you’re pleased to say,
And bidding you good morning now, I’ll call another day.”

Outside of their chamber, screams began to rise. That lustful woman who'd placed her lips upon Love's suddenly stiffened and fell prone on the floor beside Serryn, succumbing to the poison that coated his tongue. Each panicked shout led another of the sinners from their clouds so high, and soon all had left their beds and tables to investigate the calamity that invaded their black haven.

Serryn

• Popcorn
Reactions: Serryn
So he was making a dramatic entrance. He was led to a private room, turning heads as he went. He met her eyes and she held his gaze. She could tell he was not here for pleasure. Not entirely, at least. There was a cold behind his lustful guide and she knew there would be blood spilled this night.

A woman rose from beside Serryn, her bare skin shimmering with oil and sparkling powder. She pressed her mouth to the pale man's, slipping her tongue between his before he moved into the private room with other women, all just as eager and lustful as the first.

It was sad, really, considering how desperate they all were. Serryn was sure that they weren't paid well, even if the Madame charged exorbitant amounts of money for the patrons to take pleasure.

Her senses picked up something from the room nearby and she stood up, but before she could move towards the room, the woman who had first kissed the strange man stiffened and fell to the floor, twitching before falling still.

Immediately the people nearby came over to see what the commotion was. Some of the younger girls and boys cried, never having been taught how to be brave, only desirable. Some of the older ones looked at Serryn, automatically assuming she did it. She did not dispute it, just stared back at them.

The Madame was drawn over to where the girl lay stiff and dead on the ground. She barely got to finish her accusation of Serryn for murdering the girl before a dagger slid into her gut, blooding pumping out onto Serryn's hand holding the blade. The human woman groaned, her face slick with makeup and sweat as she died.

The chaos and panic increased.

So it was going to be a bloodbath.

Love

• Smug
Reactions: Love
Love stood amongst the death he'd wrought on those sorry few who'd sought only to indulge with him, bodies and blood strewn about his feet at the edge of the bed. Eyelids heavy and a soft, content smile upon his lips he dutifully dressed himself, paying nary a thought to the act he'd just committed. Why would he? It is what the Mother had asked of him, and in the end, this lowly place would bloom and bear fruit from the seeds he now planted.

The lonely door in the very back of the hallway swung open once more, and the slender, pale shape of death glided out from the gruesome depths within to bask in the chaos he'd wrought. In his smile there was comfort, the expression of one who knew not strife and turmoil. In his actions he was resolute, greeting those men and women now fleeing from the other rooms in the narrow hall with knife and fist. Piercing screams were silenced in an instant, and two more rose in their place.

The spider turned him roundabout, and went into his den,
For well he knew the silly fly would soon be back again:
So he wove a subtle web, in a little corner sly,
And set his table ready to dine upon the fly.
Then he came out to his door again, and merrily did sing
“Come hither, hither, pretty fly, with the pearl and silver wing:
Your robes are green and purple; there’s a crest upon your head;
Your eyes are like the diamond bright, but mine are dull as lead.”

She stood there and the end of his path, as though Meness had placed her there personally to greet him. Love did not allow his eyes to waver from her long-- She was unlike the others in this rotting place; She was from elsewhere, just like him. A sharp trill of excitement ran along his spine as he felt another rush of crimson paint his hand. That he would cross paths with an outsider on such a momentous occasion! Was she a believer? A prophet? Or was her destiny one she still sought?

It mattered little, soon Love stood before her, tossing the cradled body of a frail old man who'd attempted to slip by him to the ground, his neck having been swiftly broken. The old and withered were allowed a less painful death, out of courtesy. Looking down at the sharp-eared girl, with smooth elven features and a light stench of death upon her from her slaying of the Madame, he gave a small bow of his head and spoke simply.

"I welcome your assistance in purifying this place, but I ask that you do not harm the youth. They are meant for more."

Serryn

• Sip
How quickly blood flowed. There were puddles on the floor and the piles of the bodies grew, adding to the stink of the place. Serryn did not just stand there uselessly as the man from before rentered the hall. She was just pulling one of her knives from the rotund man's stomach when he approached her.

"I don't kill children," she replied, her voice calm and firm despite the blood splattered on the walls. "And I don't know about purifying this place, but I am putting them out of their misery."

Two elvish girls of about nine or ten dashed out past Serryn, tears streaking paths in their grimy faces. She watched them go with an almost sad expression. Who was so cruel as to trap children in this sort of hell.

"You religious?" she asked. There was something about him, a pride almost that he took in doing this, as if there was a right reason to any murder.

Before she could get an answer, a girl dropped to her knees in front of Serryn, a plea in her eyes. Serryn knelt before her, placing a hand on her damp, sticky cheek. She gave the girl a reassuring look as she plunged the knife into her chest. There was something like relief in her face as she died and it made Serryn very sad. No one should ever be relieved to be dead.

Considering the calamity around them, there was an eerie calm that lingered within Love's eyes as he stared into those of the stranger. In that momentary meeting of gazes, that brief exchange of words, this woman too earned some small measure of fascination from him.

She reeked not of evil, not of deception or contempt. That she slayed these lost souls was not of devotion or love. This carnage, the blood and bone and sinew that fell around them at their beck and call, did not affect her. In that way, they were kin. To have such skill and be unbound, such artistry without a vision...

How curious.

"You religious?"

The question brought a joyous smile to his face, eyes sliding shut and body trembling as if the very thought brought him bliss. His faith was a powerful one, devotion to Mother Meness, whose whim dealt both life and death to any within her purview. He was her Love, and he spread his namesake far and wide.

How he would have loved to share this with her, to expound upon every detail of his undying devotion. Alas, The Mother's flock was one that must remain unseen. Her word held secrets that her children were not to speak.

A despondent and hopeless husk spared him the use of a lie as it was, kneeling before Serryn with a silent plea to join those leaving the plane of existence on this day. Love himself initially stepped forward to answer her call, but his new acquaintance was quicker, dropping to her own knee and reassuring the faithless before releasing her from her hell.

The Assassin pursed his lips. No, he'd been wrong. This was affecting the stranger. There was a brief pang of sadness in his own psyche, and the gentle tugging of Innocence upon his sleeve led him to turn his head towards the shadowy image of a child that lived in his mind.

"She gets sad. Like you do."

"Hush now..."
He quietly admonished his twin, though his words rang true. For an assassin to feel grief over his actions was truly a shameful thing, and yet he'd always been burdened with such conflicting emotions. The death he wrought today brought him no outright pleasure, only solace in that the Mother would see them to the other side. Love knelt beside the corpse left by Serryn, reaching out to lay his palm across her forehead.

"My beliefs matter not, stranger... But I promise you that I will ensure this town never falls into such vice, should you help me liberate it."

Serryn

• Sip
Serryn turned to meet Love's gaze once more. There was a peculiar curiosity in his gaze and she wondered if her contact had known that this strange man would be here this night and if he was who she was looking for.

She said nothing and neither did her expression as he knelt beside her. He placed a cool, long-fingered hand on her forehead, which startled the Fae. She blinked at him. He had to be religious- no one else talked like that or touched strangers as if blessing them. Even if he had said his beliefs didn't matter, she thought they mattered very much.

After he finished speaking, she stood suddenly, his hand falling from her head. "Call me Serryn," was her only response before she moved towards the entrance of the fallen church, cutting down men and women on her way out.

"Serryn."

He tested the name on his tongue, watching her as she carved her way back out of the nest of sin as a hunter slices through the foliage in search of new prey. She left him there, amidst the mess they'd both had a hand in creating. Any stragglers were quickly dealt with by Love's hand, stricken by blade, tongue, and bite. A dark, shadowy silhouette of a spider roamed the halls of the Palace, sinking its noxious fangs into those hiding in the darkened corners and wrapping them in webs of darkness for its Master to attend to.

The process was arduous, but it was a labor he performed for his Mother dearest, one that he would subject himself to a thousand times over would it please Meness and bring joy to her heavenly heart. Even so, The Calignous Priest found himself oddly devoid of his usual joy as he dutifully sent the remaining lost on their way into her arms, laying the bodies in the field of graves behind the once-church.

"This journey ends short, but the next is long and devoid of strife." He spoke to them each in turn as he laid them side by side, sweat forming on his brow only to be wiped by the black cuff of his sleeve. "I will meet you all there and repent when my work here has been completed, I promise you."

"You're still thinking about her..."

Love wiped his hands and turned to face the visage of his twin brother. The child stood with his hands behind his back, looking up at Love with concern drawn on his cherubic face. "They talked to you about this, big brother... She's not like us, you'll just hurt her. Please control yourself..."

Love could only smile at his twin's concern for him. A hand descended to ruffle the transparent boy's hair, and he spoke warmly, assuring him. "I know, little Innocence. My love extends further though. Beyond the reach of our Church." Slowly, his hand fell to his side. "She's still close. I feel her. I must go speak to her."

Walking through Innocence, Love walked around the side of the now empty Palace, striding briskly back towards town in search of that stranger once more.

Serryn

• Popcorn
There were bells ringing, somewhere, as Serryn walked the dirty streets of the town. Anyone who had escaped the brothel she killed, watching the children flee down dark alleyways with a strange look on her face. The town was rancid, dirty people doing dirty things. Most people ran, but one man stepped out into Serryn's path, a curved dagger in his hand and a brave expression on his face. Or stupidity. The two were easily confused.

Serryn could smell the alcohol and drugs on him and wondered if he knew how to weild a dagger when he was sober as she ducked his slow-swinging arm, bringing her own knife around to stab him in the side.

A girl scurried out from the building the man had exited, holding a heavy iron bar, her thin arms shaking with the effort. She paused when she saw Serryn standing over the man as he fell to his knees. Serryn did not move, just watched as the girl brought the bar up and then back down over his head, caving his skull in.

"Take your revenge," she said to the girl over the man's dead body and the girl nodded, running off down the street. She could do some damage, but she likely would not live for very long amidst the bloody chaos. Serryn sent up a prayer to any god who was listening that the girl used the blood to grow and survive, like she had hundreds of years ago, like she was still doing today.

The young girl, fresh from her first taste of blood and now set upon a deadly hunt for more, did not get far on her mission. The same slender figure that Serryn had met in the church stepped out into the road, holding up a hand to stop the girl, a gentle shake of his head meeting the fire in her eyes.

The girl slowed, but did not stop her momentum completely. Instead, she once more raised the iron bar high over her head as if to strike Love with it as well. The man couldn't blame her; Why wouldn't she see all men as an evil stain upon the world, after the hell they'd put her through? The assassin made no attempt to defend himself, instead speaking to her as she neared.

"If you set out upon this path as you are, you will die, and you will have accomplished nothing. I do not wish that for you, child."

The girl gripped the bar tighter, finally stopping as her expression seemed to falter for a moment. As determined as she was to seek her vengeance, she had no desire to meet an end now, when she was finally set loose upon the world. Love flicked a hand, gesturing to what had once been the Palace.

"The Palace of Velvet is no more. Today, it was disemboweled of the evil within it. The shell it leaves behind will be something new, something different under my purview. I offer you a choice now, child."

Like a shadow tethered to the earth beneath him, Love slides out of the girl's way, allowing her to continue forth on the path she'd been set on, should she choose to do so.

"Go forward, and seek the blood to repay the pain you've felt. Or, help me to rebuild this city from the ground up. Brick by brick, bone by bone. I will require help at the Palace, to cleanse it, to return it to a place of glory, not of sin."

Love was keenly aware of Serryn, standing not far behind the girl, still standing over her first victim. He'd not meant to tell her of his plans, but after the help she'd provided, he supposed it was a small indiscretion...

"In return, I will prepare you, teach you how to truly take your vengeance, without the fear of death."

Serryn

• Popcorn
Serryn turned to watch the girl as she ran, stopped short by Love. Serryn didn't say anything, but she was very curious to see what the girl would do. She could not see her face but she could see her grip on the bar was firm, her stance wary. There was yet another man standing before her, giving her a choice. Serryn cocked her head, listening as Love explained his plans.

Vengeance with the fear of death? Without a sense of her own mortality, the girl would not last long. But Serryn said nothing. It appeared the girl's spine was flexible because she lowered the bar in her hands, looking up at the man before her. "Show me how," she said, and for a minute Serryn wondered if she had been mistaken. There was a bit of steel in the girl's voice. She did not drop the bar, and her stance was still wary.

Serryn met Love's gaze over the girl's head. So he wanted to rebuild this town. Cleanse and 'return it to a place of glory'. Rather pretentious and self-righteous but at least he wasn't just on a murder spree.

"Show me how"

No sooner had the words left the girl's lips did Love's raised hand flick back at the wrist suddenly. In the dim light of the cursed town, the briefest glimmer of reflection would shine off of the surface of thin web-like wires wrapped around each of his fingers, running through the air and snaring the pipe in the girl's grip. The quick movement of his wrist would tug the implement from her hand, and Love's web pulled it through the air and into his own grasp.

"With time, and with patience. If you had charged at me with this bar, you would have been dead on the ground long before you reached me." Love raised the bar into the air and let it drop, clattering against the cobbled path beneath his feat with a ring that felt deafening in the eerily silent air. "Mindless bloodlust will only lead you to an early grave. If you wish to end those who have wronged you, you must treat each life you take with the utmost importance." The thin, pale man seemed locked in a hazy memory as he made a show of unwrapping the wires from his fingers, his eyes fixated on every rotation as he spun the fiber around and around.

"Killing..." He began, looking past the girl once more, his gaze locked on Serryn. "Is not merely a violent act. It is so much more than we realize. To kill is to care, to show mercy and compassion, and sometimes to kill is to love." With the strings unbound from his hands, his shoes begin clicking against the stone as he walks forwards, towards the two of them. Initially, it seems that his aim is the young girl, but he walks past her and instead stops in between her and Serryn, gesturing with a hand toward her. "She understands this. It is why she's still here. If you take lives without thought, without feeling or emotion, then you are no better than the monsters you seek to slay."

His head tilts towards the pointy-eared woman, and a small smile tugs at his lips.

"Would you agree, dear Serryn?"

Serryn

• Sip
Serryn watched as the dark-haired man replied to the girl between them. He spoke with experience and she knew he was similar to her in a way.

She met his gaze as he continued to speak; he was becoming rather preachy but he had a point. But it did not change the fact that killing was wrong- even with the purest of intentions. She guessed the biggest difference between her and Love was that she was not pretending to be some saint or beneficiary, as if killing was a good thing to be excused. Serryn did not believe herself to be any sort of hero, and even her own jutifications for killing would never be enough to make it ok, it would just make it easier to live with.

He walks forward, but passes the girl and stops in front of Serryn. She was silent for a moment after his question, her eyes searching his.

"Everyone is some sort of killer. It is just what sort of killer you'd like to be." She replied eventually, keeping her gaze on Love. The girl had turned to watch her two saviors, her bar momentarily forgotten on the cobblestone streets.

As Love looked down upon Serryn, her words so anxiously awaited and eyes so laden with unspoken thoughts, Love's own mind ran rampant. How deluded and self-righteous must she believe him to be? How foolish and grand were his plans, in those lovely eyes that looked up at him? Oh, how he wished to know, for one can never be sure the perception of others.

The assassin clad in black did not think himself some saintly savior out of madness or ego, he believed these things about himself because it was what he'd been told, and how he'd been taught. From the very beginning of his life he'd had a knife thrust into his hands, and the order to kill whispered in his ear by adults who should very much have known better.

"Some of us aren't so lucky that we get a choice..." Love pulled his gaze from the beautiful creature before him to look back at the girl, a hint of sadness in his voice. as he watched her through a black curtain of hair. "I was born into sin as well. From the moment I was born, I was told my purpose was to kill, to sacrifice to those above me. I was plucked from innocence, and placed into a bloody world where I did not belong."

Love could feel the tugging of Innocence on his sleeve, worried he was saying too much. He silently chastised his brother, shaking his head with a soft tut.
"It's far too late for me to escape the twisted life I lead, but such a threshold has not passed for you." He lifted a finger to the young girl, turning his head back to Serryn once more with a soft, albeit somewhat pained smile. "She's far from the only one who will need guidance. I will offer my hand, I will give them a chance to become strong enough that they are never taken advantage of again. That is what I offer. That is what I desire."

A pause, and a slight tilt of his head.

"That, and perhaps more conversation with you."

Serryn

• Sip
Serryn watched the tall, mysterious man before her carefully. There was something like regret or sadness in his voice and gaze as he turned to talk to the girl now standing off to the side.

The shadowy form of her left arm flickered when he talked about being plucked from innocence and a strange feeling came over her that she could pin down.

He returned his gaze back to Serryn, and continued his preachy speech from before. It was better, she supposed, than slaughtering them all for the fun of it or because he was a religious zealot or had a twisted savior complex.

But what did she have to offer? She could kill everyone in this town and tell herself she was freeing them but then she would trap herself in a sleepless world surrounded by their pain. Free them from their cell only to lock herself in it instead. It was not nearly as black and white as everyone seemed to think.

Serryn paused a minute after Love finished speaking, wondering what she should say. The girl stepped closer and raised her own voice. "How will you do that?" There was much more behind her question and Serryn found she was wondering the same things. Was he going to kill everyone in this town? When was he going to be satisfied that he had cleansed it enough? How was he going to help anyone who survived?

"Perhaps in that conversation, you could enlighten me," Serryn replied to Love finally, her voice soft but steely.

Love

Both of the women were skeptical of his words, and this he understood. No, he would have been concerned had they blindly accepted his words as truth. Even Love knew that spoken desires went against the teachings and guidelines of the Church that had raised him.

Even so, the invisible hand that guided him, the ghost of his twin brother that still lived on in his blood, and the shadow that bent to his well all felt that this was the path needed most. That the time to build his own legacy, to spread his namesake, was now.

"How." Love repeated quietly, shifting his weight to one side and turning his body to gaze down the long road, lined with quiet buildings he knew to be full of sin and discontent. A small frown found his lips as he guessed at what they may think his methods to be. Mass murder? Indoctrination? No, nothing so crass... "Every man, woman, and child in this town has a choice. I cannot tell them how to act or control their behavior. Even were that within my power, to deprive free will is a sin beyond what was committed here tonight."

Love gently brushes past Serryn, taking several steps back towards the Palace. The 'how' of bringing this town back to the light was not an answer he had outright. There was prayer, meditation, and thought to be done before he knew certainly what his actions would be.

"Those who seek the vices that palace provided will find no more solace here, however. Those who wish to bring about pain like that inflicted on this day will be expelled, and those who seek safety will find it in my name."

Love stops and turns, offering a smile genuine enough that it seems out of place upon his pallor face.

"Forgive me, the both of you. I've neglected to even introduce myself. You may call me Love. I am an assassin."

At the subdued concern on the little one's face, he waves a hand. "Though I don't intend to kill any more than I already have tonight. Come, this is hardly the place for such discussion. I brought some lovely tea with me."

Serryn

• Popcorn
What he was saying was all well and good, but did he plan to watch over this town, until it was pure to his liking? She knew as soon as he left, if there was no one left to enforce order, the village would descend back into sin.

But she certainly was not about to stop him from trying. He was so certain he could do it, after all, so this town's purity would be his problem. Serryn was just about to leave when he introduced himself, and said offhandedly how he wouldn't kill any more tonight. Serryn stilled and stared at him as he moved closer to the palace she had helped eviscerate. The blood on her face and hands had dried quickly, and it felt stiff on her skin.

Tea. Oh yes of course, why didn't they all just go inside for a spot of tea? It really was quite good with a bit of blood mixed in.

Serryn wanted to talk to this Love fellow without the girl in between, so she followed Love into the old church, ignoring the bodies that littered the floor. She heard steps behind her and knew the girl was following them.

Love

Already the interior of the chapel held less carnage than it had when they'd left; Love had removed the corpses and placed them behind the chapel for burial before setting out to find Serryn, and he'd set his shadowkin upon the task of cleaning up any blood or debris while he was out handling her and the girl. All things considered, it didn't look as though a massacre had occurred within

Just inside the doors, the entryway he'd been whisked to by the Madame lay ominously empty, the small table that the old woman had been seated at now lay unoccupied and clear. Love strode to the table, brushing it off with the palm of his gloved hand and placing the small black satchel he'd brought with him ontop, before pulling out several cups and a small kettle.

The last thing he placed on the table was a small circular device with a stone at its center sporting a red engraving. Placing the kettle upon the device, Love flicked a finger beside it and a flame formed on the stone, small and fickle, yet enough to heat the tea.

"Such a handy little thing. It's powered by an enchanted stone, you see, so it only lasts so long, but..." Love stops in midsentence, looking up towards Serryn as if he'd been caught in the act. "Forgive me. It's not often I have conversation, I struggle not to ramble." A small smile forms on his pale features, his cheeks stretching from the effort, obviously unused to the action. Sliding into his seat, Love crosses a leg over his knee.

"Have you ever been nervous? Serryn?" He asks, seemingly out of nowhere. "To the point where you struggle to speak clearly? That's how I feel, at this moment. Nervous. Moreso than I've ever been."

Should the girl enter behind them, he would only offer her a small nod. Should Serryn wish to speak with Love privately, it seemed she would need to redirect her.

Serryn

• Popcorn
Serryn walked into the church. It was still dark and reeked of sweat and blood but there were no longer bodies strewn across the floor like broken dolls. She heard the girl pause on the threshold, and Serryn could sense the girl's nervousness and disgust. Serryn kept walking towards were Love made an impromptu pot of tea, leaving the girl standing in the doorway. She knew the girl would not come in. The old chuch still held memories and whispers of sin in its walls.

Serryn did not say anything as Love spoke. He seemed a bit unused to social interactions, which Serryn found vaguely amusing. Another thing she found strange but amusing was the fact that he had brought cups and a teakettle with him to kill everyone in this awful town. Had he known he would run into her, or at least someone like her? Impossible.

"Nervous?" she replied to his question. "I suppose I have been, when I was younger," she replied, sitting across from the strange pale man. The smile on his face looked forced.

"Why are you nervous?" she asked, genuinely curious. He had seemed so confident and sure in himself and his abilities only moments before. Perhaps it was because he was not good in social situations.

Love

Love's eyes focused only on the tea, his lips pursing as it began to steam rather quickly. Picking the pot up off of the heat and tapping the side of the device to kill the heat, he brought one hand underneath the kettle to steady it as he poured them both a warm cup. "I am nervous... because I am now breaking many rules that I have unquestionably followed for my entire life." He hummed, gently pushing one of the cups to her side of the table before sitting back with his own.

"To so casually speak of my work with another, to tell you of who and what I am... Such behavior would have me branded a heretic by the Church." Serryn had made the assumption before that he was a religious type, and while he'd denied it at the time, it now seemed he no longer saw fit to hide that from her. Sitting back in the old chair, Love brought the rim of his cup to his thin lips and sipped carefully at the steaming drink. "You've listened to me without protest since we've met. Yet I have been hesitant to answer many of your questions..."

Placing his drink down on the table once more, Love raises his right arm and pulls down the sleeve of his coat to expose his risk, a strange symbol branded upon his flesh. "You were right. I am a member of the Caliginous Church. We are a group of assassins, killing in the name of Menessis. Love is the name I was given by this church when my twin brother and I were taken in by them. He was given the name Innocence."

Was.
Of course, Innocence was dead. Killed by Love's own hands and his blood was consumed in a ritual of the Church to deem the superior twin.

"My apologies for hiding this information earlier. I was unsure if you could be trusted at the time. I suppose I still am, but..." His gaze slides back to the tea. "I think perhaps my nerves are getting to me. So strange... such a foreign feeling."

Serryn

• Popcorn
Serryn listened, as Love talked and poured the tea. She left her cup untouched, her focus on the strange, pale man across from her.

So she had been right, he was indeed religious. And quite extremely so. She had heard stories about the Caliginous Church, stories about crazed fanatics who took pleasure in murder.

Next she wondered why he was telling her this. It didn't exactly improve her view of him, and she was surprised he thought he could trust her, even a little bit. She was just about the most untrustworthy person alive, more likely to slit your throat in your sleep then fight by your side.

"You don't have to apologize, you have every right to hide information from a stranger," she replied eventually, still wondering at his strange nature.

"Have you never been nervous before?"

Love

"Have you never been nervous before?"

Serryn's question was one that Love would not normally have given much thought to. Nervousness was such a basic emotion, of course he'd experienced it before, hadn't he? The assassin quietly raked his memories for a time when he felt the way that he did now, from yesterday to the very first memory he could recall, foggy and hidden in the depths of his mind.

He found nothing. Love's expression was so still, it appeared as though his lips were the only thing that moved at all, as they parted gently in reply. "I'm not sure I have." The man finally admitted it, as though it were shameful to be devoid of such unease until now. "It's exhilarating, this unsureness. Not knowing what to expect... I see now why such a freedom is held from me. It's intoxicating, isn't it?"

Love was always in control. He performed every task set before him to the absolute letter, and while minor hiccups were always prevalent in his line of work, he'd never lost all of his control over a situation, never found himself totally unprepared.

His gaze at last meets Serryn again.

"Earlier. You killed with such grace, such gentleness... It was like watching an agent of the Mother work, but you are no believer of Menessis. I must know what drives you, Serryn. I admit, my current truthfulness is in attempt to sate my captivation with you."

Serryn

• Popcorn
Serryn was continuously surprised by this strange, strange man. He had never been nervous? At first she found it hard to believe but the more he spoke the more it made sense. He carried himself like a man used to being in control. And she knew all about control.

Then he spoke of how she killed. Her teal eyes drifted about the room. Blood was still splattered across the floors and walls, but the bodies had been disposed of.

"You want to know what drives me? Revenge," she paused a moment. "Many have said how futile it is, and how it poisons my existence, but it has brought me where I am today." Her voice was cool, her bright eyes meeting Love's over her teacup as she raised it to her lips to take a sip.

Captivation. An interesting choice of words. Was he going to try to recruit her, convert her? Where he had never been nervous, she had never been the object of captivation for anyone, not even her family.

Love

Revenge.

All of the nervousness in Love's eerie gaze seemed to melt away at the word, his coming alive at a word he recognized, a word he'd experienced. The Assassin's lips parted quietly, repeating what she said silently, forming the letters without speaking them. Revenge was a powerful motivator, one he'd considered already regarding Serryn.

But it didn't match up with what he'd seen. What had that young woman, pleading and begging for mercy on her knees before Serryn, done to warrant a vengeful death? No, that slaying was not of revenge. There was something more. There must have been.

"It is not for the lips of one to say what poisons another." Love eventually mused lowly, perhaps ironically considering the poisoned kiss he'd delivered to one of the patrons of this sinful den hours earlier. "Revenge is only as corrupt and unattainable as you make it. When you finally have the vengeance you seek, the next challenge becomes stopping yourself from wanting more."

Love had seen men and women fall into a deep and inescapable madness for revenge. One kill turned to two, two to ten, and ten to twenty.

"Tell me, Serryn. Will you know when to stop?"

Love's head lowered, a darkness settling over his face as he dropped the pretenses between them.

"Or do you yearn for it now? Was that girl killed for mercy? Or to satisfy a need?"

Serryn

• Popcorn