Open Chronicles Running to Nowhere

A roleplay open for anyone to join

beanman

Character Biography
Link
The hot desert air became increasingly harder to breath as Kony trudged through the warm brown sand. The metal shackles were loose around his thin wrists and ankles, but were too small to slip off his hands. He has been running for 4 days straight without food or water, but he cannot stop to rest as he is being hunted by an entire nation for killing his master. Even though Kony had no memories of his prior life, he quickly learned that capital punishment is especially harsh to slaves such as himself through experience. His throat was dry and his body felt cold. He felt his hands and feet numb. He was confused, as the desert was unbearably hot. He remembered a time when he felt this way before; his master, Yohan, forgot to feed him in the morning. The scars that covered his body since before he arrived on the shores of the merchant city Bazaa could easily be seen through the large holes in his tattered rags. Kony struggled to find foot holds on a large sand dune, hoping that he might find salvation on the other side. Everything is so very new to him, and he wanted to experience more that this unknown land holds. Kony extended his arm to grasp the top of the dune, slowly pulling himself up. He took a moment to catch his breath. He looked up to see that the desert seemed to stretch out for miles, not a single sign of life to be seen. Yesterday, his thirst and hunger created fake oasis's that seemed to move farther away from him whenever he tried to reach it. But he never stopped trying. Although he didn't know that these beautiful oasis's were just a mirage, believing that it was real gave him hope to keep moving forward. But today he saw no salvation, false or not, waiting for him. He felt his legs tremble beneath the unstable sand dune and tumbled down onto his back. He stared up at the sun, leaving an uncomfortable feeling in his eyes. He closed his eyes and tried to stand. He needed to keep moving, even if nothing was there for him at the end. Kony drew in a deep breath, took a step forwards, and collapsed in the sand.

• Yay
Reactions: Tera Lynx
A hand reached out and caught him by the arm, four hands actually. Havilah had sensed the human through the worm she rode, detecting his seismic presence on the surface of the dunes, so she commanded the Burrower Drone to bring her to the surface.

She was intrigued more than anything, humans rarely traveled alone, and when they did travel alone they were always well equipped and prepared. This human had nothing but light cloth covering him and metal arm and ankle bracelets that rattled against each other.
The creature was malnourished and would die soon without aid. Some part of his plight awoke the human part of her mind. She would have left a weak creature like this to its fate on a normal occasion, such a weak creature surely had nothing to offer the swarm, no genetic advantage to make the hive strong... But she felt sorry for the abused creature.

As she held the frail human in her four hands more worms came up around them, their great mouths opening to allow several hundred worker drones to pour out. Under the telepathic command of their queen they began spreading their slime around the sand, using it to break down the loose particles and turn the sand itself into useful material.
She didn't care what her Warlords or Advisors would say, She had pity for this creature.
"We will set up a hive here and provide shelter for the human. Bring some sustenance, he must rely on others for strength... For now."

The swarm went to work, steadily forming the walls of a hive around them.
beanman

Last edited:
Kony awoke on a warm bed made of unknown substance in a dark chamber to the sounds of chitin scurrying on dried mud. He sat up, surprised that the pain in his stomach and throat due to his hunger and thirst respectively had virtually vanished.
"Am...I...Dead...?" he croaked to himself, wondering how he ended up in this mysterious cavern. He shifted off the bed, cautiously lowering his feet to the ground preparing the soles of his feet for the cold feel of a unfamiliar ground. His feet touched the surface to find odd comfort in the soft warm texture, and with this confirmation he felt comfortable to stand up and explore his surroundings. He rested his hands against the methodically built walls to support his body as he walked down the dark path away from the dark chamber. Even though Kony only knew of the desert architecture in Bazaa, he still never imagined that walls and rooms like this could exist. Kony noticed something shift down the dark hallway in front of him.
"Who...is...there?" he said, slightly trembling.
Suddenly, he heard something walking towards him. Startled, he fell onto his back and tried to scurry away, to find that the mysterious figure matched his pace. He closed his eyes and readied his body in anticipation.

• Yay
The builders had worked quickly to build the hive around them, and it was a good thing too, for the human's sake. Since he passed out and they began building a sandstorm appeared on the horizon. The swarm creatures had already adapted to the harshness of the desert, but a sand storm like this would have flayed the flesh from the humans body.
The human was stirring now, the creatures tending him scurried out of the way as he got up in the dark, telepathically letting their queen know he was awake.

The chambers and hallways were domes and circular tunnels, organic shapes and uneven footing. She made her way down to the chamber where he was stumbling about in the dark. Her eyes glowed in the dark, as did the other creatures all about them. She clapped her hands and a bioluminescent substance lit up along the walls and ceiling, giving him light.
No doubt the human will be shocked by his surroundings and the creatures before him, but that couldn't be helped.
proxy.php

She approached him as he stumbled back from her.
When she spoke her voice came from her mouth, but also spoke in his mind.
"Be at ease, human. The Swarm will not harm you. You are safe from the elements in here."

beanman

Last edited:
  • Yay
Reactions: beanman
Two voices came from the pair of glowing eyes, one speaking words he couldn't understand in front of him and one that he could understand perfectly in his mind. The hall lit up a sickly green glow emanating from large green orbs protruding the ground and walls. Kony could make out the figure's silhouette now, a tall woman who had long black hair and...multiple limbs? This discovery seemed to pull him out of his calm state, as he fell back onto the ground at the sight of the woman's extra limbs. But..that was impossible, humans can't have 4 arms? The woman seemed to find light amusement in his stumbling, which calmed Kony down a little.
"Where...am I?" he said, struggling to remember the words that his master taught him. His master only taught him simple phrases to find his way around the vast marketplace of Bazaa, but never enough to make conversation like a real person. He rubbed his eyes as they struggled to adjust to the dim lighting. The woman walked towards him next to a bright orb. She had a greyish pigment in her chitinous skin, her golden eyes contrasting her face greatly. Her hair looked like black segmented vines instead of hair, and pitch-black lips. She indeed had 4 arms, the longer set near her shoulders resembling that of an insect's ending in large curved claws. The other set was more human-like, but still had long straight claws at the tips instead of nails like a human. Her purple chest and torso looked as if she was flayed, but still looked incredibly sturdy yet flexible.

• Yay
Even though his words were halting, she could understand his intention and meanings clearly by reading the emotions present on his surface thoughts.
She smiled, revealing not monstrous fangs but perfect straight white teeth.
"You are exactly where you fell unconscious. You are in a temporary hive we've erected to preserve you from the elements in your vulnerable state."

She walked among the glowing pods where larvae grew in the entropic fluid. "We gave you sustenance, though I'm sure it's nothing close to the sort of sustenance your used to. I ordered some flesh to be scorched over fire to make it palatable for your weaker body."
She turned her eyes back to him as she circled the room.
"What do you normally do to become stronger, human?"

• Yay
"The food...was good, I...think," Kony said, "more than...the burnt rats...that I...get from master. Thank...you. For...the food...and...the shelter."

He had never been treated with such kindness before, as he only remembers being treated like a delivery animal. He remembered that he was told not to speak to anyone as his mannerisms could reflect back to his master. He concentrated, trying to talk like the voice that presented itself in his mind.
"The people in my city ate food...that I was not allowed to see. But I was given...raw meat some days to give me more muscle to lift...bigger things." He felt enormous guilt, as he didn't want to burden the lady who saved him any further than he already has.
"I don't...want to trouble you any more...you have given me more kindness than I have received in my life." He wanted to know more about this lady, but he didn't know what to say. He remembered the way his master asked for his name at the slave trade.
"What are you...called?"

• Yay
"I am called the Queen of Venom. This is my Swarm bound to my will. It was a sense of duty that drove me to rescue you, out of the faint memories of my own humanity."
She approached him again, she stood much taller than most men and she looked down on him, her golden eyes searching his own.
"But now that I've saved you, my advisors urge me to induct you into my Swarm. But to address that I must ask, how strong is your will to survive? I will not force you to join us, but you must realize your in a precarious position."

Letting him go would be a risk. If he were to tell others of their existence, and if someone were to believe him, it could bring trouble on the Swarm, trouble that they weren't strong enough to face.

She circled him, watching his every move. He did well to survive for as long as he did in the desert and as weak as he was. He was quite a ways away from the nearest town, which he probably fled in the wake of its destruction at her command.

• Yay
Kony looked at the ground, thinking about her proposal. Leave the lady who has shown him so much consideration, or stay with her to repay her kindness. If he left the hive, the people of Bazaa would still hunt him, but at least the queen and her people would not be associated with him. If he left, he could make it out of the desert, as he could run for a long time without rest. He could see the world for what it was. But the idea of leaving without repaying his debt didn't sit well with him. He matched the queen's golden, snake-like eyes and stood up.
"My name...is Kony. Before I was framed for the murder of my master, Yohan I was...just a boy who had nothing, not even...a name. I was raised to carry and run. All I know is to carry and run. I was granted... freedom...by fate, words of importance...that a child who ran on all fours in my earliest memories did not know. Before the day that I was freed, I...did not know that a slave could want things. I want...to see the world. This is my only desire...and it has been given the chance to be satisfied by you. So...if you want...if you need...I will carry and run...for you...and...I will carry and run...for your people."

Last edited:
  • Yay
She smiled, as he described his life the word "Slave" was brought to the front of her memory. The only equivalent the swarm had to such a word was "Drone", but the meaning was different since a drone had no freewill to be dominated, subverted, or taken advantage of. They were not slaves because they were designed to serve, without any function for independence unless so desired by the Queen.

But this human... He had a mind, simple as it was, uneducated and underdeveloped, he would not be a drone, his intelligence exceeded them.
This creature was a slave, but he's already tasted independence. She would nurture him. So far she had been the only human to be absorbed by the swarm, but ever since they've only had opportunity to experiment with animals and monsters. The closest they've gotten to using intelligent creatures was when they found goblins, creating the creature Scabbers and his pack.

But a human, a creature like she was... There was potential... nearly limitless potential.
"I am pleased by your decision, Kony. As the Queen of Venom I welcome you to the Sovereign Swarm. But you will not "Carry and run" for the swarm, you will be made powerful... If you want, you can be completely remade into a perfect being, a creature with purity of body."

She touched her claws together and green glowing thread stretched between her fingers. Her agile claws began weaving the thread into complex patterns till there was a glowing orb at the center.
"You will not be a drone, but I will give you drones to do your bidding. You will not be a slave, and you will answer to no one but your queen.
I can change you, make you powerful in three different ways.
You can be a warlord, with the power to destroy all your enemies before you.
You can be an advisor, using your mind to bring glory to the swarm.
Or you can be an elite, with the potential to grow and become whatever you desire."

She continued to weave the glowing threads around the orb, causing it to grow, filled with the entropic fluid that could change his life forever.
"Whatever you choose you will no longer be a victim, but a dangerous predator that non would be able to shackle again."

• Yay
Once again, Kony was presented with choices, though this time whatever he chose would only serve to benefit him.
"I want to be...like those oasis's I saw in the desert. But I won't...be fake like they were. I want to be strong enough...to give people real hope. Hope that they can live free...and experience what life has to offer. No matter...how many I have to hurt. Hope...is what keeps people, yours or theirs, happy."
He looked into the queen's hands, holding the orb that glowed green so bright that it seemed like it exuded power.
"There aren't...a lot of words that I understand the meaning of, but there is...one word that I truly had no understanding of it's meaning. Future. But I think I know now. It doesn't matter what I choose...to become, as I will be able to have a future, where I can...live and see the world through my own eyes."
He reached both of his arms out, his shackles rattled along his forearms as he took the orb out of her hands and looked at it closely. So this is the future, he thought staring intently at the viscous fluid inside the silk case. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. He imagined walking through lush green fields, letting the long blades of grass tickle his inhuman fingertips. Finally, I see my destination. Now all I have to worry about is how I get there. He exhaled, and as if by primal instinct, tore the sack open above his head and let the contents flow into his mouth and flow on his bare skin.

• Yay
She was surprised by his willingness, his eagerness. It was almost like he never wanted anything more in his life, like he had thought about it long and hard already.
The entropic fluid seeped into his body through his skin and his ingestion of the substance. It began working immediately, latching onto his systems and using his body to reproduce and multiply.

Soon he began to sweat a thick sticky substance, it began to slowly cover his body, slowly creating the cocoon around him, engulfing him in the chrysalis that would change him forever.
Now it was Havilah's turn.
She slid her lower arm set seamlessly into the chrysalis without breaking it or rupturing it and took hold of the threads as the fluid began to unravel his genetic sequences, making them pliable for her to manipulate them.

Unfortunately they didn't remove his shackles before he jumped ahead and began the process. They will become a part of his body, a constant reminder of his past bondage, but no doubt will serve as deadly weapons for him if tooth, claw, or venom were ever to fail him.
That's generally what the entropic fluid did, it took the hardest substance found in the chrysalis and gave it to the creature as a weapon or armor.
His armor would indeed be hard to break.

She began weaving his sequences, tying the desired traits into the coding of his very being. A great and powerful Warlord to destroy her enemies.
Strength.
Power.
Intelligence.
Leadership.
Though his shackles will be his forever, he will never again be prey to anyone.
When her work was done she removed her claws from the pod. Now they just had to wait for the evolution to run its course. By the time the storm is over he will awaken... No longer a person, but a creature of the swarm.

She looked over the other chrysalis pods around the room. These have yet to be activated, but once he awakens, she will make these creatures his swarm.

proxy.php

• Yay
As Kony floated unconscious in the cold, thick liquid he felt as if he were lucid dreaming about what he were to become. The queen's words "dangerous predator" kept repeating itself in his mind, and it made him wonder what he would become. He never thought about his outward appearance before, but despite that he still wanted to keep a fairly human shape. But physical appearance matters little compared to the monster he is willing to become in order to survive. He had barely given a second thought about committing to this life-altering process, mostly because Kony was a boy of few regrets and little regard for himself. He was completely engrossed by feelings of fear yet excitement. It wasn't about what he would become, but what he would have to do in order to become it. He saw a bright silhouette in front of him, then a bright flash of light as he felt himself reform within the cocoon.

• Yay
Her job done all she had to do was wait for his body to absorb the rest of the fluid to solidify his transformation. What he requested was essentially to become more than he was. Even being fed he wasn't strong enough to survive longer than he already had, so he was essentially being remade.
Added muscle and bone density, increased mental capacity to command a swarm. And granting him the ability to change, to consume the strength of other creatures and take their strength, to adapt and evolve.

She turned her attention to the other pods. He would need a swarm that will compliment his strength, but diverse enough to follow wherever he leads.
How will he lead? what will his style of leadership be like? Perhaps she can make his a raider swarm to begin with and see what he will do with it, how he will command them. His swarm will adapt to whatever style he chooses.
This was a new experiment, Kony would be a new Organism, so she had no template to follow. These creatures simply had to be able to adapt and change.

As the chrysalis finished its work she approached his pod. She spoke into his mind, her voice clear in his head, now a full member of the swarm.
"Awaken, Warlord Kony of the Swarm. Awaken and be a part of the swarm, join your mind with ours and let our power be joined with yours."

• Yay
Kony awoke to the familiar voice of the queen beckoning him to emerge from his chrysalis. He the dark, moist walls plied to every slight move he made, but the integrity of the cocoon did not relent. He thrust his arm out with unexpected strength, ripping through the sac and causing air to rush inside. He burst forth from his new womb, standing 6 feet tall and paler in color. His body steamed from the rapid transformation in his appearance. The scars that riddled him seemed to become mere decoration as the preserved gashes from long ago no longer kept their depth. His long hair was covered in the green fluid, covering his face. The shackles seemed to have completely engrossed his forearms and forelegs as extremely sturdy gray chitin, the only seemingly unexposed parts on his body. Kony opened his eyes, revealing two dim hazel eyes that bordered on the thin line between man and beast. He was still slim due to his undernourishment, yet his arms yielded more muscle than the average man. He stepped out to his queen and stared around the room at the many pods that contained his war band.
"I am...allowed to do what I choose with these?" The queen replied with a nod.
Kony looked at a pod for a moment, then ripped it open and began to consume the contents within. He wiped his mouth after eating the remnants of his soldier before moving on to the next pod.
"Are you not content with your soldiers?" The queen asked, confused to why he would kill one of his own.
He thrust his arm into the next pod and pulled out a chunk of dripping ichor, examining it before putting it into his mouth.
"I must...consume to gain strength. I don't want to lead."
As he went on to the last of the pods the queen stopped him.
"Are you absolutely sure that you have put enough consideration with this decision? These soldiers have the strength to raze entire cities and the loyalty to run with you to their deaths."
Kony didn't even hesitate to move past the queen to the remaining pods. He then crouched down and proceeded to consume the rest of the pods.
"I wish to travel...alone. If I must, I will raze cities and run to my death alone."
He stood up to wipe the green slime off of his mouth and stretched his muscles, getting familiar with the strength that filled his body. He looked at his queen.
"I will be careful...not to draw any attention to the Swarm through my actions. My association...to you and your people will be known by none. But please know that what I do...will be done...for the good of the Swarm."

Last edited:
  • Yay
Hmmmm... This was different. A lone Warlord without an army to lead... Perhaps this could be a new template, an agent of the Swarm when a Warlord chooses to consume their own Swarm and fight alone.
A black operations organism possessing the strength of an entire Swarm.

The other Warlords will despise him for killing his own Swarm and likely wouldn't trust him, but Havilah saw the value of such a creature, and they will respect her will.

She approached him again after he was finished consuming his brethren.
"You have chosen your path. You will fight, you will consume, you will survive, you will bring change on yourself. Go and let the desert change you further, the swarm will call you when we have need of you. But walk with me first... I wish to speak with you."
As she led him through the tunnels of the hive she spoke to him.
"The rest of the Swarm cannot hear us now, I am blocking them.
Tell me, what do you remember of your life?"

• Yay
He tried to remember about the parts of his life that he hasn't told her yet.
"My earliest memory...is of me waking up washing up on the shores of Bazaa, a city...ran by merchants. I was 9 years of age, and my mind was void of memory, of how I arrived there, of how I received so many scars. I was branded and named after the scars on my right arm. Yohan...the man who bought me, was very ambitious. He wanted to rise the ranks and have power...within the city. He was already wealthy, but like he told me, the more you have, the more you will want. That was why slaves were not allowed to have things like food or friends. That was...how the people of Bazaa thought. And it was what we accepted as truth. I only knew about things from merchants who I bring and receive merchandise from. I was good at learning things. This lifestyle of bringing produce back and forth...learning little bits of information about the world...filled the 7 or so years of my known memories. A few days...before you rescued me, I saw...Yohan speaking with people donned in foreign clothes about murdering his political competitor. They murdered Yohan, and then came to murder me when suddenly...guards came and the hooded figures vanished. The people of Bazaa believe that me, a slave, killed their master, which is a crime of highest treason. I only escaped...because the cell that held me was torn apart by a great beast."

• Yay
So he was indeed a survivor of the destroyed city. One of her Warlord raiders had orchestrated the attack, since the city didn't rest on natural foundation it was vulnerable to attack from below, so the Warlord used his burrowers to lay waste to the city before bringing his Swarm out to loot the remains. Such a tactic was effective, but allowed for some to escape in the opening moments.

This wasn't an issue in the case of Kony. But in the future they couldn't allow anyone to escape and potentially tell others of their existence. They still weren't ready yet. Setting up a perimeter to catch escaping victims will have to be essential if they used such a tactic again.
But back to Kony... He was similar to her in a way. He couldn't remember how he came to be washed up on that shore, or his life before that point... She couldn't remember anything but scraps and broken pictures of her life before becoming the Queen of Venom... The fact that he didn't lose his memories upon his transformation told her that something else must have happened to her to make her lose her memories. She envied him.

"I see. Thank you for telling me, Kony. I'm glad you've retained your memories, and I hope you find the memories you've lost in your youth."
When they reached the end of the tunnel the swarm had just finished clearing the sand that covered the entrance. The sandstorm had passed and the sun glared down once again.

• Yay
Kony stared out at the vast desert landscape. The storm that the queen had mentioned had long passed, as the sky was clear and the sun was blinding. He took a few moments for his eyes to become accustomed to the brightness before he turned to face the queen.
"Thank...you. For giving me purpose...and a chance to live. I hope...that the Swarm continues to prosper with you at it's reins." He slowly started to walk, but he felt he needed to say something else to the queen. He turned back to the entrance of the tunnel, the queen hasn't moved a bit from the shade.
"I hope...that we may meet again in the future, my queen."
With that, he began his journey through the desert.

• Yay