Private Tales Quest for Knowledge

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Gavin Blackfyre

Captain Blackfyre
Character Biography
Link
Alliria was a city filled with many wonders.The Allir Keep for instance, which served as the merchants strong hold. Sturdy strong walls fortified the position where the governing body of Alliria gathered daily. It was both beautiful and terrifying, for this was the place the strong gathered. The Inner City had it's fair share of slender and wonder as well. The docks stretched on, bringing forth wave after wave of seafarer who looked to unload wares, spend coin on drink, and share in the culture that made the city such a desirable travel point.

Most people associated Alliria with wealth, Gavin sure did when he appeared here some odd years ago, bloody and battered with matching ship and crew. He soon realized that it's wealth extended beyond copper, silver, and even gold coins. With it's diverse culture, a hoshposh of different races blending together in a intricate but delicate weave, there was something far valuable then rare minerals. Knowledge! Each person had something to share, be it religious beliefs or different way to make medical salves. Each was important. Each should have been documented. And most importantly, the wise merchant could find ways to make more coin off of this knowledge.

In his youth, Gavin had not been keen on reading. He learned by hand how to sail. He learned by watching how to use his magical abilities. He learned by each cut and slash how to use a sword. But as he aged, he began to realize the wealth of going into a situation prepared. Thus began the marriage of applying practical knowledge of items he read upon with prior experience. He made it a habit to visit the libraries of the lands he visited. It was thanks to this, he learned of the seasonal storms that plagued Elbion and as such, when his first voyage from Alliria to the aforementioned land was concluded, he had not lost a single sailor nor damaged any of the wares he had been hired to transport. He had known about the storms, studied them, and used that knowledge to his advantage. This was also how he excelled in ship to ship combat. He had read papers on different methods and tactics and applied them in actual combat. He quickly realized what worked, and what captain had been talking out of their ass.

So, with this love for reading it was obvious that having returned back to Alliria only a few days prior, one of his first stops would have been the library he currently stood in. It wasn't the biggest the city had to offer, and best could be described as cramp. It's high walls were filled from top to bottom with dusty tomes that had not been touched in ages. The halls were lined with shelves and above held hung lanterns that provided light. Now one would think lanterns were a bad idea, and they were, which is why these were not powered by oil and fire or candle and wick, but sun stones. Rocks infused with light that poured out. These of course where the cheaper sort and the light was weak. It did the trick though, providing enough light to read. Such titles like "The process of Making Cheese" or "Migration Routes of the Sea Bass" were some of the titles the library held. More instructional books then good reads. Gavin needn't know how to make cheese, and he already knew the migration routes of the sea bass in this area. What he wanted to know was about a particular sea kelp that grew along the coast. He had often heard that a potent medical salve could be made from it, but everyone he asked had no knowledge on what was needed to make it. He suspected it was just a wives tale and nothing more. However, if he could indeed make a salve from it and it worked, well that was a different story.

Wandering the shelves, Gavin hummed to himself, a sea shanty of some sort. He was a tall man of a lean swimmers build, evidence of a life at sea. His hair was long and his face unshaven and though perhaps handsome by some standard, not the face of a noblemen. His eyes were dark and a scar ran along the right side of his face, over lapping his eye. That itself was a story. Though normally not one for finery, his overcoat was a rich blue and did stand out, especially since it seemed military in nature. Another story from the privateer that often worked for the benefit of Alliria.

"Where are you...." He mumbled to himself as he continued his search, unaware that perhaps, there were others in the lonely library aside from it's care taker.

Kay

• Yay
Reactions: Kay
An odd feeling crept into Kaeda’s stomach, a harsh reminder that her that this was her first time in Alliria without her family. She had come years prior, but this was before the death of her loved ones. A memory then flooded her mind: of her mother excitingly entering every library she could find on their travels. She used to tell Kaeda that libraries are the cornerstones of communities, that they hold infinite amounts of knowledge. Her mother loved books and everything that they represented; something passed onto Kaeda herself. Now, she sought out these cornerstones on her lone travels; dually in remembrance of her mother and curiosity of her own.

Returning to reality, she sighed and decided to take comfort the only way she knew how, with books. Around the corner was a small library that she knew of and she made her way towards this town's cornerstone. The dimly lit building was charming and she felt instantly replenished as she grazed the backs of the books and journals. Her sword clung to her hip and rattled against the halter, causing a small echo to fill the hushed space. Kaeda adjusted the weapon and continued on towards nothing in particular. This library was quite lonesome and she hoped the knowledge wasn't too neglected. There was so much to learn inside these walls.

Gavin Blackfyre

• Yay
Reactions: Gavin Blackfyre
There was indeed so much to learn and presently, so much to pass, being that Gavin unwittedly to the corner of one shelf into the main walk way and nearly crashed into Kaeda. One would imagine that at least the sound of her foot steps would have caught his attention and at most, the sound of her sword rattling against the halter. Yet Gavin appeared in his own little world as his search continued to the point where he had nearly mowed her down.

"Ack." He let out, stopping suddenly before forcing himself back, the momentum of some a move throwing his forward and back with a jolt. "My apologies... I did not notice someone else was h..."

Gavin failed to finish himself as his finally took noticed on who he nearly crashed into. His dark gaze worked his way over Kaeda, soaking in every minute detail displayed before him. Though he was not shy about his lingering gaze, one would imagine what he said next to be provocative at least, being that he looked her up and down. Nay, what he said next was not at all charming or suggestive.

"Who comes to a library armed with a sword?" He questioned out loud as he came to rest a hand against the hilt of his own saber which rested on his left. Contradiction much?

• Yay
In the middle of admiring an older journal that she stumbled across, a man nearly stumbled into her. As he began to apologize and collect himself, she noticed him stop and scan her being. At this, she raised an eyebrow. 'Confident fellow,' she thought to herself.

"Those who fail to pay attention to where they're going, which seems to befall us both," she said, slightly chuckling.
Her sword was constantly attached to her hip, it was part of her entity. Whether this meant she was prepared or paranoid, she could never tell, but she could make a pitch for both.
"My apologies, I always seem to lose my awareness in a place like this," Kaeda smirked and began to return-examine the contradictory male. She was quicker and less obvious than he, but she did linger in curiosity at his facial scar. Looking around his face, she noticed his deep eyes. They were dark, darker than most, the kind of eyes that held too much experience. And although his face alone piqued her interest, filling her head with questions, she knew the importance of privacy. Although scars can broadcast someone's past, she always found it intrusive to ask. Kaeda had a few scars of her own.
"You seem to be on quite the pursuit. Not on a search for poetry, I presume?"

• Yay
"One could argue there is a certain poetic charm to every written word... Even if it deals with boiling toads to turn into paste for medical reasons..." He replied in haste, pausing afterwards to review his own words. "I suppose arguing is not my strongest skill however. Do you mind?"

Gavin motioned to have his fellow book worm move aside so he could squeeze past her into the next aisle. He was a man on a mission and as such chose to plow through each section in search of what he needed. Her question would not go unnotice however, as he did pertain a certain level of manners in the least bit

"I am looking for information relating to a particular sea kelp and it's healing properties. Supposedly, when mixed with other ingredients, it can produce a powerful salve.. Old tales speak of loss limbs growing back and mortal wounds being completely healed... I doubt this to be true as these are just stories, spun out control to entertain the masses no doubt... But if I can find a... More conveniently priced method to ensure my crew heals faster when wounded, then that is something looking into. Sadly all I have been doing is looking for it, and not actually looking at it." Gavin managed to get his long drawn out answer out before vanishing into the aisle.

He quickly poked his head back around the corner and squinted right at the elven beaut who carried a sword.

"Unless you have what I'm looking for...." Gavin said, eyes still narrowed. If you cared to notice, she might have taken account that there was something... Off about his right eye. "Nah... You don't look like someone interested in sea kelp..."

• Yay
She laughed at his passing joke, noting that he had a poetic charm to his demeanor. Kaeda slid out of his way, picking up a book for herself and scanning it while she replied.
"Limb restorative sea kelp?" she thought about it and grinned, "interesting."
She watched in her peripheral as Gavin determinedly searched for the book, "although, in our world of magic and mystery," she raised both eyebrows and shrugged her shoulders, "anything is possible."

When he peeked around to see her, she noticed something different about the man. His right eye hadn't dilated in the low light, which it should have, the lighting in this library was less than desirable. Kaeda pushed aside her curiosity and once again spoke up to the ruggedly handsome man.

"Unless you're interested in the species of The Spine, I'm of no use," she said, gesturing to the book in her palm, "but I'll share a secret with you. Libraries have these classified resources called bookkeepers," she said sarcastically, returning to her regular voice. "Would you like me to seek one out for you?"

• Yay
His expression fell flat as she suggested he search out a bookkeeper, as if he had not thought of that himself... Despite the fact he had asked for help and opt to simply search himself. It had become a bit of a game, searching the random libraries for this near mythical, at least in his mind, forgotten text each time he returned to port. The keeper very well might have pointed him in the right direction but in going to the keeper, he would not have found the many other random titles he ended up reading.

"No no no.. My pride calls that I dare not ask for help.. It's a man thing." His tone was smug but comical and he knew full well the show he was putting on for her. "But! Dare I say if you are lacking in manly pride, I could certainly help you.... Two rows down, third shelf up..." He returned to his search vanishing from view only to yet again pop back into view.

"And just so we are in understanding... I want you to know that I know full well how silly a limb growing kelp based medical salve sounds, magic and mystery aside. I just need something to help staunch blood flow and help wounds heal faster... I may have been called a mad man from time to time.. But I'm not crazy." Smile flashed and wink offered up and he finally committed to returning to his search.

Attention back on the shelves, he gently ran the digits of his right hand over each book in the row before him, his voice no more then a murmur as he spoke to himself.

• Yay
"Well I would never want to put your manhood in question, mysterious stranger," she once again remarked sarcastically while picking up another random read and listening to him.

"And I don't think you're mad nor crazy in the slightest. I live vicariously through my books and I've read some incredible things. Whether stories like these are fallacies or miracles, it is up for personal interpretation. But a part of all of us wants to believe in miracles; at least a part of me does," she ended, smiling with a hopeful, childish glow. She listened to him subconsciously read the titles of the books his finger passed and appreciated his voice. It was rough, not unlike his scruffy appearance, but attractive nonetheless. She wondered about him; about his past.

"So," she continued, "you mentioned a crew and the yearn for quick healing. Are you a captain of some sort, Professor Pride?"

Gavin Blackfyre

• Yay
Hearing her continue their conversation brought a smile to his face. Even though he practiced catch and release, the little fish still nimble at the bait! The was implying that all this talk about sea kelp and what not was a lie, and well it was not. But perhaps the little show he had given her was over the top to grab his attention. There was nothing wrong with seeking the company of a beautiful maiden, and this rather scruffy seafarer was no stranger to wanting in such company.

"My dearest elven maiden.. it is's Captain Pride.. if you are to give me a cute alias, I demand it is befitting a man of my stature." He droned on correcting her with a grin. "Captain Gavin Blackfyre of the warship Rocinante, pleasure to meet you."

He was able to introduce himself politely with a curt bow of his head and no further theatrics it seemed. Though he needn't act silly in any further way. The fact he stated he was a captain of a warship yet acted in such a way seemed to speak volumes with most folk.

"Oh, my sincerest apologies, Captain." She over-emphasized her words and rolled her eyes playfully at his correction. As much as she didn't desire to be, she was slightly impressed at his title. Also, it fit him: his appearance and overall disposition was the true embodiment of a captain.
"Although I may be a maiden, I'm not fond of the bleedingly feminine title. I prefer Kaeda," she said nodding her head in introduction with her smile still spread across her face. She pushed away her book and continued browsing the titles, entering more distance between them.

"I know little of the sea," she continued, "but I have heard of the Rocinante. How does it feel to oversee an entire ship?" Kaeda spoke without looking at him, as she was focused on the knowledge in front of her. It was almost like she was interrogating him with her tone. She expected a generic response similar to 'powerful,' or something that spoke of his masculine conduct.

• Yay
"My Lady Kaeda, it is the greatest honor I could have ever hoped for." He replied with a sincerity that betrayed the comical character his first portrayed to her.

A genuine smile was given to his fellow book rat and Gavin found himself turning his attention back to her. Bracing himself against the shelf to insure it could support his weight, he leaned casually against it, though he was careful not to disturb the books there, at least as best as he could. "She is an emotional mistress, the sea... She can be calm, an unmatched tranquility like none other.... There is an overwhelming sense of how deep and vast she can be... A rich beauty that can rival a sunrise over a mountain peak...And in her presence you are insignificant... You are at her mercy truly, because when her waves roll, you began to understand the measure of her rage.. Her power... She is the untamed... The wild... The unforgiving... And much like you my dear Lady Kaeda, she is not fond of the bleedingly feminine titles."

He offered his thoughts about the open sea, ending with a curt nod.

His formal reply caught her off guard, it contradicted his light-hearted nature and made her wonder which version was the true Gavin Blackfyre. She noted that his 'proper' attitude probably served him for his position.

"Well, one thing is certain. You have a true and undying love for the sea, it is clear through your speech. Enough to write your own novel. And I find my comparison to her to be most flattering, Captain." She began to browse books in his direction, walking towards her original position.

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard men of the sea enjoy the occasional stout. After you find your book, maybe you would join me for a drink at a nearby tavern?" She asked politely, making eye contact with the shelf-leaning man.

• Yay
Gavin could be a flatterer but he often fancied himself a poet from time to time, though he did appreciate that she said he could write a novel. Of course, it was her invitation that garnished the biggest response from him.

Selecting a random title, he didn't bother to even check the title. "How about that... I found what I was looking for." His tone was content as the book was tucked under his arm. What ever he chose would sure to be a topic discussion later on.

"Shall we?" Eye brow raised and lopsided grin worn as he waited for her to lead. The promise of a drink with a beautiful woman? Hard to refuse, especially since their current interactions were so interesting. Of course there was something as far to interesting. He recalled the issues he had upon one of the taverns he encountered along the docks. "Just one condition.. Nothing by the docks" he made sure to add that in.

"Look at that. How convenient." Kaeda began towards the door, stopping to allow for him to pay. After a minute, she continued outside and halted for a second to allow him to catch up.

"No worries, I have a specific place in mind. And it's nowhere near the docks." She glided down the street like a memorized path. After a few minutes of walking, she paused at the entrance of a medium-sized building. Taking a deep breath, she turned to Gavin. "This is it," she declared. The tavern was semi-full, mostly by sloshed day drinkers. Kaeda smiled at the place, it was the same as she had remembered. As soon as she entered, she was recognized.

"Kaeda, my favorite girl!" Erupted a large, bald bartender quickly shuffling out from behind the thick wooden divider.

"Brutus, my favorite barkeep. Did you somehow get taller?" She smiled genuinely as he wrapped her in a bear hug. Kaeda's 6'2 frame looked puny in comparison to the 7'5 giant male.

"Oh, stop it. You're more beautiful than ever, sweetheart. I've missed you. How long has it been?" His loud tone boomed and filled the building. His rough appearance hadn't changed except for the addition of another large scar on his cheek.

"Five-no. Six years? I've missed you too, Brut." She shifted to introduce Gavin, but she was interrupted by the same boisterous voice.

"And who is this?" The large man turned, crossed his arms, and raised an eyebrow to Gavin. His overprotective nature was evident, but she figured her new acquaintance could hold his own.

proxy.php

• Yay
Book paid for, he was happy to follow along, letting her take the lead with her quick strides. Stopping in front of the tavern with her simple declaration of "That's it!" he was charmed by it's interior. Gavin had spent a great deal of time in Alliria, but that didn't mean he had explored it's every nook and cranny. Quite the opposite in fact, he was still finding new treasures each time he wandered it's streets. This tavern would be one such. Of course, each new haunt carried the possibility of finding new souls who lurked with in, and this place was no different.

Upon entering, it was made clear that Kaeda was indeed known here and Gavin would stay politely aside while she shared the moment he came to known as Brut. Of course he was not shy about staring at the man, as he was clearly a giant. Gavin stood at 6'3 himself so he was no stranger to being tall. Every so often however a Brut would come around and he would find himself looking up. It always humbled and humored him when this happened, as he was reminded of what other people experienced with himself.

"This is someone clearly not as tall as you good man... Goodness you are like a tree.. Kaeda you see this.. Obviously you do... Sir Brut the walking mountain, I am Gavin Blackfyre. Pleasure." Body language and tone was enough to know this man had his guard about him. Gavin didn't wanted to have this mountain come down on him.

"Brutus to you," he grunted.

Kaeda laughed at Gavin's comment, then looking to her old friend and shifting into a semi-stern voice.
"He's a friend, Brut. Be nice.
And we could use a couple of ales."

The bartender cracked a smile and returned to his post, pouring them two drinks. Sliding each full glass to them, he smirked before tending to other customers. "On the house." As he began towards the opposite end of the bar, he stopped and looked at her once again.
"And kiddo? Sorry for your loss."

She looked at Brut with a sincere but broken smile, then turning to Gavin apologetically.
"I'm sorry, he can be a little...intense. I should have warned you."

Last edited:
  • Yay
To Brut's comment, he replied with an understanding now. Brutus it would be. Leaning against the bar itself, Gavin accepted his glass and raised it in thanks to the tender.

"You needn't apologize... I keep company as well that can very well be protective. Speaks volumes to the type of person you are truth be told..." He brought his glass up to his lips, thinking on what the man Brutus had said before turning away. "Should I be offering condolences as well?"

If she didn't wish to explain, he would not pursue it. Was her right, and there were many a topic Gavin steered away from himself.

"Oh, I lost my parents a couple of years ago. Short life for elves, was rather unexpected." Kaeda said emotionlessly before taking a prolonged sip of her drink and delivering him a nod. She wasn't one to talk about her feelings and was a better listener than she was a speaker.

"So," she returned to an upbeat tone, eager to learn more about her newfound company. "Tell me about the great Gavin Blackfyre. I'm sure you're quite the interesting fellow."

• Yay
He respected her swift truthful answer and her need to move the conversation along. He too knew the pain of being orphaned and much like her, it was something he didn't speak of much.

"I'm a man of the sea.... I drink.. I curse.. I live day by day." He went ahead and really down played himself. "I hire myself and crew out to the Alliria merchants to run their goods or protect their ships..." Or to be their killer when need be, words unspoken. "I've hunted pirates." And been a pirate to Vel Anir naval ships as well, he thought.

"If you really want to learn something interest... Stare in my right eye..." He dared her with a grin as he casually took a sip of his ale.

"Quite the eventful life you've had. I respect your carpe-diem attitude." Kaeda finished by taking another solid look at the man. For every word that passed his lips, there was a thousand unspoken. Gavin's mystery drew her in, and she took note of his skilled charm. Kaeda knew that she was not the first to be charmed by the alluring captain. Still, she was unsure whether to be cautious or trusting of his personality: he seemed to be at a bridge between deceit and sincerity.

As he prompted her, she leaned forward and sat her head in her hand. She held a bit of distance between them, still giving him her undivided attention. She once again looked into his light brown eyes.
"I did notice something... peculiar about your right eye. Care to educate this curious elf?"

• Yay
He thought the stance she adopted was cute, but otuside of holding his smirk, he didn't move. He just stared straight ahead. His right eye was unflinching as he refrained from blinking. The light reflected oddly from it however, and unlike his left eye, it did not dialate.

"In all my travels never have I've seen such a elven beaut..." He found himself saying. Aside from getting her to look into his eye, it also allowed him a chance to appriciate the full scope of her beauty. Yes he walked a fine line between deceit and sincerity... Hopefully she could tell where he stood at that moment.

"It's fake." He soon said next. "Not my observation... The eye." He covered his left eye with his free hand and continued. "And now the beaut has been lost to me." His smirk remained as stared out with his glass eye.

Moving his hand away, he then trace the scar which ran down the right side of his face. "Healing poultice and luck saw that only a a smoothness of skin and discoloration remain.... But nothing could save the mess that was my eye... Lost it during a particular bad scrape out at sea."

His grin shifted into a frown, but there was more to it then just that. I'd gladly lose both if it meant he were to live. "Looks real though doesn't it... I have a few... But sometimes I wear a eye patch for comfort... Plus if you thought a captain of a ship was hard to resist, well then I should introduce you to pirate Gavin."

He switched beats, ending with a sip of his ale.

• Yay
Brutus moved to the other side of the bar, growling and swearing under his breath at Gavin's flattering comment while he passed.

Kaeda giggled and continued listening to him. "Short travels, you must've experienced," she said rolling her eyes.
"I'm teasing...thank you, I appreciate your compliment. You are very handsome yourself."

Tilting her head to the side, she looked deeply into his right eye one last time. Gavin's life equally impressed and interested Kaeda. Instead of disgust or fear, she leaned in a smidge closer to him...her chin still resting upon her palm.
"How fascinating. I would find you to be the most dashing pirate of the seas."

With her other hand, she picked up her drink and finished what was inside, then sliding it towards the bartender for another. She could hold her alcohol fairly well, but next to a captain she was a beginner in comparison.

• Yay
"Here I thought I was trying to make you blush." He chuckled leaning equally close so he could whisper. "I assure you... I am well traveled... I know how I come off... But I promise my words are as true as the sky is blue... But I should quit while I'm ahead however... I'm show Brutus over there isn't muttering a song to himself... Though I'm tempted to continue with my obvious flirting, I'd sadly rather walk out of here with my head attached... I hear I can't be much of a captain without it you see." A wink was offered as he leaned back to into his seat.

He could appreciate that she kept up with his witty quips and responded in kind. It had been a long while since he enjoyed the company of someone that had no relation to his work. Little did he know however, things had a way of changing.

"So... The Spine you said.... Prepared for the cold?" He questioned, deciding the conversation should move to a more friendly topic. his head was at risk after all.

• Yay
She listened to his low-toned speech and smirked as he pulled away. Brut was obviously watching his every movement and becoming more tense by the second.

“The capless captain. It has a ring to it.”
She leaned back in her seat also, returning a wink to him.

“Absolutely not but I am ready to brave it. After all, research is at stake. And I’d swim the depths of the ocean if it was for knowledge.” She finished with a smile.

• Yay
"... As much as you may like it I like my head where it is." He strengthen his stance on that before moving on though he did pause to rub at his neck. "So.. Research.. Interesting... I believe you mentioned species of the Spine? Looking to catalog the creatures there?" He seemed genuinely interested in her and what drove her actions in a friendly, getting to know you way.

"Before you answer, I have a cloak to offer if you want it... Many a night upon a cold sea, a sailor need proper clothing." He even went as far as offer aid.

In the meantime, he patiently waited for the brooding Brutus to look his way so he could wave him over. He tried his best not to annoy the man at this point and tried his best to appear apologetic. He just wanted a refill as he quickly drained his ale and perhaps a meal to be shared between them.

• Yay