Private Tales Quest for Knowledge

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
"Something like that, yes. They've been my latest topic of research and I thought I could take a look for myself. I am a little apprehensive, though. The weather can be unpredictable near the area. But I need to travel more of Epressa. Are you familiar with The Spine?" Kaeda was caught off guard by his offering.
"How very kind of you to offer, but I cannot accept. That is your garment. I will manage." She finished with a smile. As he finished his drink, she noticed his empty glass.

"Hey, Brut?" she said to catch his attention. The large man made his way over to them and stood with his hands on the bar, attentive.

"Could he grab another? And could we have some of your famous grub?" Kaeda said in a sweet tone, obviously buttering him up.

He raised an eyebrow and another smile broke through his tough facade. "How could I say no to that face?" Brutus refilled the mug and disappeared into another room.

• Yay
Reactions: Gavin Blackfyre
Gift rebuked, he took no offense. They had just made, and perhaps she found it strange to accept a gift he so casually offered. He offered an understand nod in way of answer. What really dragged a surprised expressions from him however was when she not only ordered another round but food as well. He be a fool to think she didn't have a gift for picking up even the most subtle of details.

"Thank you." He said to Brutus before leaning forward and whispering. "My face or yours.. He didn't specify."

It was hard for him to pass up an joke it seemed.

"Yes I have." He said as he pulled back before Brutus could notice how close he had been. "Been to the Spine I mean. Belgrath is beautiful, but even more so is the craftsmanship of their dwarven wares.... I've had my eye on a beautiful ballista for sometime now.. Have yet to negotiate a sensible price though... How to you intend to get there?"

Kaeda chuckled at his statement and replied in a hushed tone.
"Definitely yours. He obviously likes you."

Brutus returned with meals for the two and winked to her. The man had always been like an uncle to her, always taking care of his little elf.

"Ah, I'm sure that costs a fortune. You can most likely charm anyone into a suitable deal." She picked at her food for a moment before replying. "Mixture of methods. Horseback for a portion, for which I am excited. The length of the journey, however, I am not."
She paused before bowing her head and speaking the whole truth.
"Honestly, I'm still figuring out the details."

• Yay
The food arrived and Gavin gave a nod of thanks in response. Getting this gentleman to acknowledge him was going to be a challenge. Thankfully, Gavin liked those.

"It does cost a fortune... And despite my charm I have yet to get the seller to budge... He's a bit of a stubborn mule but he's good company... I bother him every so often with gifts of brandy or fire wine." Gavin chuckled and shook his head before looking to his meal.

He was surprised to see it was a hearty cut of meat, steak, with mixed vegetables and bread. It seemed knowing Kay had it's benefits. Listening to her speak about her route, Gavin was hard at work moving the food on his plate around. In a matter of moments, using the carrots and peas along with the steak and bread, he ended up shaping it into a small map of sorts.

"The roads aren't to treacherous if you were to travel from Allira... The bottle neck here keeps traffic high but once you make it to the Reach, it really opens up... The merchants pay a pretty penny to keep the roads well groomed and protected so the going isn't to hard up until you reach here..." He pointed to a section beyond his version of the Allir Reach. "If you stray to far north, you risk encountering Orcish tribes... Bhathairk is up this way.... " He pointed with his fork once more. "Travel along the coast line and the trip isn't to rough... Alot of nice coastal towns... Then you can get to Belgrath from here...." He pointed.

Advice offered, though it wasn't asked for, he then went to show her his route.. Which was off the table and perhaps was suppose to be the ocean. "I usually take this route... Land here... And then it's a straight shot." He ended by pointed at the Spine, or rather his steak, cut a section off, and began to eat.

• Yay
Reactions: Kay
Kaeda watched as Gavin transformed his meal into a makeshift map. His position as captain then became very apparent to her as he explained different routes. She had her wits about her but was nowhere near his incredible sense of direction. Years on the sea would provide such a skill, she figured.

When he strayed from the map and signified the ocean, she leaned in with interest and then returned to her former position as the diagram returned to dinner. "Sounds direct. But the seas can be rather...unpredictable as I understand."

Kaeda returned to her meal, focusing more on the vegetables. She ate meat on some occasions and was rather selective about the process. Sipping on her ale, she tilted her head to the side in curiosity. "So, Captain Blackfyre, what exactly is your next destination?"

• Yay
Unpredictable, yes, but for Gavin he loved the challenge. The winter storms along the coast could be rather harsh, and many a ship fell victim to the troubling weather. He and his crew had braved them many a time but he knew full well such things were no laughing matter. All it took was one rogue wave to fell the Roci, heaven's knew he had seen many a great sailor swept off deck because of the fury of the sea.

"Would you believe me if I said the Spine?" He teased as he looked up from his plate, devilish grin worn. "Not sure honestly..."

He sipped from his ale, quiet and in thought it would seem. Due to current events, sometime away from Allira may be good for him. That was something he would have to discuss with his newest friend, the komodo Salogan. A discussion for another day not doubt. "My crew is laid out for the Winter season and our ship docked. Our last trip to Elbion was a good enough pay day so that there bellies will be fat for sometime... For now maybe another library or pub but no where romantic at all..." Another gulp of his ale was taken. "I imagine however, a trip to the Spear may be in order.. You can get rich dealing with spices... Perhaps the Eye of Kiva even.... Mysterious place it is."

In short, his immediate plans were up in the air.

• Yay
Reactions: Kay
Eye of Kiva?” Kaeda inquired with surprise and intrigue, “mysterious, indeed. A place I’ve read much about in my day. I hope to see the Eye one day.” She trailed off with a sip, further lowering her barriers to the charming stranger. Her posture remained fixed, but overall demeanor shifted ever so slightly. The elf was weary of placing trust, but not of intrigue.

“You must be quite brave to brace the wrath of Kiva. With the fog conditions and the whirlpool herself, the area is deadly to captains such as you.” Kaeda finished speaking and then uttered a final statement to ensure he received her message properly. “Not to say you’re unworthy, I just speak of the danger.”

"Danger can be.. Exciting once one realizes he's come out with his head intact..." He playfully spoke, the role of charming stranger adopted perfectly for in truth, he was often charming and in these circumstances a stranger to her, though he found himself wanting to rid himself of the latter title. Perhaps in time he would not be just a stranger to the elf he sat beside.

"I saw her... Honest words.... The Eye I mean... And your words are true... Fog and whirlpools... Raging storms... Even when you aren't close to it, you're assailed by violent winds and waves.... But words cannot do it justice..." He took a long deep gulp as if to quail the memories that came to mind. He then leaned in close and spoke in a low hushed tone. "We were chasing down privateers under the employ of Vel Anir merchants. It's calmer these days, but a few years back such practice was common. The merchants would wage their private wars, driving the price of silks and spices up... Vel Anir keeps a standing navy... Strongest in the realms I dare say... However the merchants would use privateers to ease off political tension... If it's not a ship bearing the crest of the Vel Anir navy, it made it harder for Alliria to dispute loses and payment owed..." He rattled on loosing the point he was trying to make before shaking his head to get himself back to the story. "She was wounded and we had hunted her for days... The damn pirates could sail and they used the surrounding storms of the Eye to their advantage... Good as they were, we were on top of them each time they poked their head out though... I suppose the captain had enough at some point however... Figured his chances heading into the Eye was better then braving a fight..." He paused for dramatic effect. "I've seen the damage a rogue wave could inflict upon a ship... Seen men snatched away by waterspouts, plucked up like a grape off a vine... The Eye... That's a different storm... A angry storm... We found her wreckage three days later... Scattered to all hell... No bodies though... At the time we figured sharks got to them already... There was pieces of wood and cargo afloat everywhere... Even found a section of the main mast... Sheared off as if something sliced cleaning through it... Dispute that oddity, there was one thing stranger still... The howl... Long and piercing... The Eye was still in sight some ways off... But that howl... Sounded as if it was right on top of our ship... That was not the sound of a raging storm... That was the sound of something still hungry...."

The entire time time he spoke, he held eye contact, hopefully drawing her into his tale before ending on such a creepy note, alluding to the existing of some grand sea monster. He looked away, eyes searching his lap as if he were haunted by the images he recalled and the sounds that perhaps still called to him. The moment was tense and stretched on and as the silence crept on he suddenly howled. "Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!"

It was now clear, his aim here was to startle her. Whether it had been a tall tale or truth he would leave her to decide, but by the way wore a grin as he looked to her, he was one for theatrics.