Private Tales Problems to Solve

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Ana's frown turned towards Leane, sensing what bothered her and bristling towards it. "We're fine with just three. We do not need more to complete this mission."

• Yay
Reactions: Djana Mahin
She frowned for half a moment, but didn't answer with what she was thinking.

Leane understood Ana's reaction, she knew that she wanted to get this done with what they had, but if they went up against an army... They wouldn't be winning with just the three of them.

Still, it hadn't come to that yet and hopefully it wouldn't.

There was a chance they really could take care of all of this on their own. They would have to be careful, but it could be done nonetheless. Of course it all hinged on whether or not this Count had sway over the local Militia. Or rather, if he would dare try to use them on three Templar. Her finger tightened for a moment in thought and then she simply nodded.

"We'll see what tomorrow brings." They were still working on little fact.

• Yay
Reactions: Anastasia
Ana sat up straighter, her fist unconsciously clenching as she persisted. "We're not here to brute force this, Leane. That's how we get whole cities hating us. We can do this through tact. I can do this through tact. We don't need to go spilling any blood that isn't a real threat to this realm, I don't want anyone being careless this mission."

Careless. That was the wrong word, almost an insult, in fact. But it fell from her impassioned lips regardless, more emotion to her tone than was normal for her.

Saul hadn't thought her capable of handling this without reinforcements. She'd be damned if she let Leane take that tone with the mission too.

• Yay
She nodded.

It wasn't that Leane wanted this to lead to the violence, just that she feared what would happen if it did.

Truth be told though her own skills lay far more within the Marshall than that of diplomacy. Briefly she wondered Why Ana had decided to take her instead of Violet or one of the others. She wasn't particularly diplomatic and in fact was instead one of the better warriors of their little group.

She had a level head, but wasn't the best at talking. "I will follow your lead."

Leane assured her, sounding as though she meant every word.

• Yay
Ana relaxed backwards, nodding in slight acknowledgement. “... Thank you.”

She didn’t question Leane’s sincerity, the woman meant her words and therefor wouldn’t act without her knowledge. She could breathe easier at that, for a moment worried that Leane would write to Saul and land her with a whole shipment of men at their feet in a weeks time. Gods know Saul had tried to ship her off like that from the start.

She didn’t want to be a soilder. She just wanted to make something right again.

She let out a shaky breath, relaxing back and releasing the anti magic from the air around them.

She looked around, her hands wringing on her tunic as her next words caught in her throat.

“You... mind if stay the night? My room is drafty.”

• Yay
Leane seemed startled for a moment, but then simply nodded. "Sure."

In truth she didn't quite feel right sleeping here herself. Perhaps it would help to have someone else. The woman in the parlor had given her an...off sense. She couldn't quite have said what it was, but there was just something she didn't like about the grand Lady. As if there was something hidden.

A frown touched her lips, head shaking.

Leane had no way of knowing Djana's true face of course, no way of knowing that beneath a veneer of lies and manipulation lay a cold hearted killer.

Perhaps she would learn soon enough though.

• Yay
Ana gave her a tight, appreciative smile, stripping off her daggers from the straps under her tunic and sliding them under the other pillow besides Leane's.

This was why she had chosen Leane over the others. No questions. No probing. Just silent company she could lean on.

She slipped under the covers without a word and turned onto her side, giving Leane her back to spend the night as she wished, while she herself mulled over events until an unsteady peace of mind was achieved and she finally found sleep.

The morning dew felt cool on Ana's face, her eyes closing to calm of it until her horse bucked impatiently under her. She rubbed down it's neck, soothing it's cries into silence as she looked across the courtyard to the main door.

"Did someone check to make sure her ladyship made it out of bed this morning?" Owin asked. Ana fought to bite back a smile, a small air of laughter coming from her regardless.

• Yay
"Of course I did." Djana said as she approached not form the door of the Manor, but rather the gate within the wall that surrounded the building.

Her expression was a dry one, though there was no hint of insult upon her features.

She knew that if she was to play this right then there could be no problems with the Templars. The soldiers would do as soldiers did, and she just had to steer them in the right direction. There was difficulty in that of course, but...well, nothing that she hadn't encountered before.

"I was arranging our travel." She spoke softly. "And ensuring the girl had not gone anywhere."

Plus, she'd needed to make sure that the Count had not heard of the Templar's arrival. His spies were everywhere, including in this village.

• Yay
Owin straightened in his saddle, earning a hidden a hidden smirk from Leane as Ana nodded her head in a greeting.

"Is it all settled then?" Ana asked, no small amount of skepticism in her thoughts. Why would the woman need to prepare for their travel? They had horses, surely she would too. You get on and and leave, how complicated was that. While she hated to accuse an innocent person of bad intentions, something just continues to sit wrong about this whole assignment-- a taste in her mouth that hadn't been there when she read the missive.

Still, Ana was firm on not making assumptions. She was as quick to protect the innocent as she was to prosecute the guilty.

• Yay
"It is." Djana said, her face smoothing for a second before a frown touched her lips for a moment.

"Though there is a slight complication." This wasn't a lie, thankfully. She could lie all day and light about circumstances, but if things actually came to be it was much easier to sell it to these Templar. Thankfully the Count was exceptionally aggressive. "The Count has sent guards from the Keep out into the countryside."

A report she'd received this morning.

It was a curious move, aggressive, and told of some other underlying plot. "I do not know if he knows about the girl, but his men are moving into the surrounding villages in droves."

• Yay
Ana quirked a brow, looking right to the others in an unspoken agreement.

"It is time to go. Now. Are you coming, where is your horse?" Ana asked with unusual abruptness. But if it was as it sounded, then trouble was afoot and an innocent life was about to lost. The three were all dressed in unidentifiable streetwear, but the thick bundle at Leane's front assured her that they all could be ready for a fight at a moment's noticed if it came to it.

Which she was abruptly worried it would.

• Yay
Djana motioned beyond the walls of the compound, heading that way without another word.

The cultist wasn't particularly concerned about steering the Templar in the right direction, not now anyway. The Count had been foolish in sending men into the countryside, not the least because of the sentiment it would create among the villagers.

Much of the local militia was under the man's direct control, yes, but if things went awry there were not enough men to overpower every single village under control of the Keep. It was another angle to play, another way that Djana could potentially make this right for the Great Lord.

She just had to be careful. "This way."

Djana told the Templar as she swooped herself up into the saddle of her horse.

• Yay
Ana followed her, riding the lady even harder if she did not keep a brisk pace herself. She did not know where they were being led, or even what they were walking into, but the seriousness of the moment drove her forward with no hesitation.

It was refreshing, in a way. To have a drive, a focus, something to do ... she enjoyed the sensation more than was right. Someone's life was on the line and she recognized now that she got a kick from it.

All the more reason to save them.

• Yay
They rode for several hours at the least, keeping to forest trails and countryside.

Along the way they passed a few farms, some carts, but people were few and far in between. It was by design of course, Djana intending to keep the Templar out of sight of anyone that might ask too many questions. She wanted to avoid the Count knowing they were here...if he didn’t already anyway.

”The Village is at the other end of this path.” The cultist spoke softly as they turned at a fork in the road, her expression keeping even. The signpost at the fork had long ago rotted away, the names upon the wooden plagues broken and indistinguishable.

The locals hardly cared about upkeep.

”I would keep quiet about who you are in the village.” She said softly. ”People may not take too kindly.”

Djana didn’t say why, hoping for them to infer it.

• Yay
Ana frowned, her chest twinging at that.

"Not a word," she swore. She slowed her pace, figuring it best to not arrive in a fury. They rode at a trot for several minutes, until they crested a hill and a village opened up before them. Ana tried to keep her gaze cool as she looked around for signs of something amiss, but she was never the best actress.

"You're sure the girl is here?" She murmured to Djana.

• Yay
"I am." Djana said patiently as the village crested into view.

The place seemed calm enough, the sign of smoke rising from several chimney's showing that the people were up and awake. She frowned though at the lack of activity in the town square, a sign that perhaps things were not as at ease as one would have hoped at the moment.

Her lips thinned, and then she urged her horse onward.

"This way." She told them as her horse turned down a fork in the road that did not head towards the village, but instead just slightly away from it. "The girl lives on a farm."

Within just a few moment they passed another small hill just outside the village, and beyond that lay a farmhouse. A barn stood just nearby it, an old and grizzled man passing out of the double doors as they rode onto the grounds.

• Yay
Ana looked behind her to the others, nodding in a wordless exchange. Leane dismounted with her, while Owin remained astride. They secured their horses, leaving their Templar gear bundled with them.

Ana tugged on her light leather armor around her middle, it's appearance harmless and unidentifiable. That was part of the reason she favored it, despite the fact that could not prevent a knife to the gut. She's just have to do that part herself. She took a deep breath and pressed forward, nodding to Djana. "Who is this man?" She asked, her voice low and they approached.

• Yay
Djana brought her horse to a stop, not wanting to trample any more of the man's lawn than she had to. True, to her these people were nothing, but the Great Lord hated wasting resources.

What were the people if not resources? "The girl's Uncle."

Her voice was brisk, quick, and terse. The man himself was now stalking towards them, apparently more than willing to confront a group of three women and one man. He held a large staff, likely used for driving sheep. She could see the tension in him, as if he already knew why they were here.

How interesting.

"Greetings." Djana said warmly. "I am Lady Amelia Mahin. These are...investigators."

She gestured towards the Templar. "Sent from Alliria. They have come to look into the allegations against the Count."

• Yay
Ana stepped forward, wary of giving Djana anymore space to talk and perhaps manipulate the situation. She half wondered if that was an unfair response to take with an innocent civilian but dismissed the thought. This girl first, strange gut sensations later.

"Hello," she told him, her expression softening. "We heard your niece went though something and, we'll, we'd like to help her. Can I speak with her?" She left no room for the obviously tense man to claim she wasn't here.

• Yay
Djana only looked at Ana, saying nothing. She was happy to remain quiet far now, already knowing that the situation would be bent to her will.

Whether anyone knew it or not. The Farmer however was less sure, his eyes wandered between the 'investigators', and Lady Mahin. His expression was a stern one, his fingers tightened on the staff. For a moment she was sure the man was about to attack, but then instead he spoke in a gruff voice.

"She's been through a lot. The Guards already came to talk to her I...I turned them away. Why shouldn't I do the same to you?"

Guards?

Djana's mouth tightened at that. In truth it was a shock to hear the guards would be turned away, particularly given the Count had an interest in all this himself.

• Yay
Ana did not hide her alarm, looking backs to Owin. He nodded, kicking off his horse to scan the area.

"Because," Ana told him, her voice alighting with weighty passion. "She'll remain in danger until the people that hurt her are dealt with. I intend to do that, but I need to speak with her first. I need to know what happened, anything she says could be of use to us. Please, for her sake. Let me speak to her."

Last edited by a moderator:
A moment past as the man watched them all carefully, his fingers tight on the staff as if he were about to attack them. Djana said nothing, keeping her face impassive.

She could have broken the man of course, used the weavings to bind his thought and bring the girl forth...but that wouldn't do here. It was best to let things progress naturally, best to allow the man to reach his own conclusions. After a moment more the Farmer slowly nodded.

"Alright, but I ain't leavin her side."

Djana nodded as though that were only expected, and without another word the Farmer began to stalk off towards the house. They followed him of course, Djana having to keep from pinching her nose as they stepped inside the quaint little home.

"Bethany?"

The Farmer called out softly.

"Bethany, these people want to speak to you...about...about what happened."

The man was answered by the sound of faint rustling, the group turning a corner to find a young woman sitting by a window. Her face was pale, her eyes blank.

• Yay
Ana scanned the girl's features. It only took a glance to see what she had gone through. Ana recognized the hollow look in her eyes.

She turned to Leane and Djana both. "Let me speak to her alone. Too many faces will only overwhelm her." And by that she meant leave her to do her investigations in peace. Away from outside influences.

Leane nodded in understanding, placing a hand on Djana's back to guide her back out of the space.

Once alone, Ana looked to the man, her composure softening. "How long has she been like this?" She pulled up a seat near the girl, studying her.

• Yay
"Since she came to us."

The Farmer answered briskly.

"A week."

There was pain in the man's voice, the kind that could not be hidden no matter how much one tried. The old Farmer wanted to speak more, but it was clear there were few words for him to actually say. These troubles were beyond him, far beyond him or anything he could understand.

• Yay
She nodded softly.

"Bethany?" She coaxed. "Bethany, my name is Anastasia. I know you've been through someone horrible, but I want you to know-- it's done. It's over. And I'm not going to let it happen to you again. I will stop whoever did this to you. But I need your help in order to do that. I need you to fight what your feeling and look at me. Can you try to do that for me, Bethany? Can you be brave?"

She gave the woman a choice, one she knew she could achieve. Small steps, she hoped.

• Yay