Fable - Ask Pelts to Profit

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first

Lowell DuBois

Character Biography
Link
Lowell had spent much of the day traveling. Having taken up camp outside of Alliria in the thinning trees where Falwood met the Aberresai Savannah, he had accumulated quite a few pelts to sell to the tanners and leatherworkers, but also quite a bit of meat. Rabbits and squirrels typically did not go for much, but he had supplemented them with a few deer and elk. A new fox pelt adorned his shoulders, and a few raccoon pelts were also in the buggy he pulled. Inside the wagon, aside from the pelts, were massive baskets ripe with salted and smoked meats. The wagon itself was manageable, but Lowell was no ox. He had taken several breaks on his way to the city.

After managing to get past the guard and inside, he set immediately to his routine. The tanners were his first stop, quick to buy what they could. After refusing to sell his newly acquired fox pelt multiple times, he parted with the majority of pelts and hides, making his way towards the inns and taverns. He peddled with the ones that would pay the most to begin with, then gradually worked his way down. With just a bit remaining, he took a wistful glance in the direction of the Inner City.

One day… He thought to himself before entering an inn that he hadn’t approached before. From what he could tell, it was fairly new. Perhaps under new ownership, or freshly built. The outside wasn’t much to look at, and it was a bit smaller than the others he had just been to. Still, a sale was a sale. Pulling the wagon up to the door, he knocked on the door. No answer. They must not have been used to people peddling out of wagons.

Parking his wagon, he shot a look around, then back at his wagon. It was old and well traveled. He doubted anyone would steal it; if anything, they’d be after what was inside it. With a shrug, he grabbed his wares and entered, casting a look around.

Despite being middle sized, he was surprised at how high the ceilings were, what with it looking much smaller from outside. His eyes darted around for the innkeeper, finally locking onto a portly dwarvish woman with jet black hair and eyes that matched.

“Excuse me, ma’am? Would you be interested in buying up the last of this? I try going to inns and taverns before the meat market; I do all the butchering myself, you see.”

Giving him a stern look, she simply outstretched her hands, gesturing at the bar she stood behind. Quirking a brow at her, Lowell placed the basket on the counter. Standing on her tiptoes, she tilted the basket down towards her, inhaled a deep breath, and pulled out a piece of jerky and started munching.

Before opening his mouth in protest, Lowell took a slow breath and just waited. A moment later, the woman produced a coin purse from her belt and emptied a good bit of coins. More than he thought the scraps were worth, but a deal he’d take.

“How’s this, and a two nights stay?”

A bit taken aback, Lowell did his best to respond. “Two nights, I couldn’t possibly-”

“Hopefully, we can both be repeat customers.” She smiled at him, making Lowell think her attitude had been a facade to throw him off. Tilting his head to one side, Lowell relented, offering her a grin.

“Well, thank you much ma’am.”

“I’ll get you a room ready. You want a drink?”

“I’ll take a mead, please.”

Elodie Rahlyn

Elodie did not enjoy coming back to Alliria even after all these years. Unfortunately, she went where the jobs sent her and this time she found herself in the city of her birth and childhood. The city that she had never seen until she was an adult due to being the hidden child of her family. It had been a rude awakening when she had first left and gone out into the crazy world by herself. Now, though, she thrived in it.

She walked through the crowded streets until she found The Rahinn. She sighed at the name and pushed through the doors. She paused when she said Maggie talking to a young man and Elodie raised a brow at her offer. Clearly more than what the man expected or what the items were worth. She shook her head and smiled at the dwarf innkeeper.

The young brown hair man ordered a mead and he still wore an expression of shock. "Don't worry, she adopts all the creatures who need help," she dropped a bag of coins on the counter and Maggie scooped them up quickly. "Also, Maggie, really on the new inn name?"

"Hush, now, I would not have this place if it wasn't for you! I will name it what I wish! Let me get you a mead too, dear."

Elodie took a seat at the counter and studied the man while they waited for their drinks. He was not from here and his tanned skin told her that he spent lots of time outside. "I am Elodie, that is Maggie," she pointed to the back of the innkeeper, "and this will be your home when you visit Alliria whether you like it or not."

A scoff came from Maggie before she set two meads on the table.

Lowell DuBois

A woman’s voice interrupted Lowell’s befuddlement as she appeared beside him, and he sensed a tinge of sarcasm in her voice. Before he could speak, she turned her attention to the bartender, inquiring about the inn’s name and simultaneously providing the dwarven innkeeper’s appellation. Lowell hadn’t given much thought about what the inn was called – an inside joke or pun he did not know about, perhaps. Still, it was quite clear that the two women knew one another, and as the conversation unfolded, it became evident that the redheaded woman had some part in the development of the dwarf’s trade.

The redhead’s decisive, practically domineering attitude when it came to his choice of residence caught him off guard. Still, she had introduced herself, so Lowell decided to play nicely, for now.

“A pleasure to meet you both,” He responded. “My name is Lowell.” He reached for the flagon of mead that was placed on the table, taking a sip before sliding a few coins in Maggie’s direction as payment. With a slight smile, he turned his gaze towards Elodie.

“I imagine it must be. One can’t take such hospitality and generosity for granted; it’s common courtesy to repay an act of kindness.” He took another swig from the flagon. “It sounds like you two have quite the story when it comes to this place. Care to humor a weary hunter and share your tale?” Sarcasm dripped from his mouth as he called himself a ‘weary hunter' before proceeding to exacerbate his verbal irony with a gesture, holding his free hand up to his forehead like a damsel one would see in a painting that was about to faint before he returned his hand to his side, the other gripping onto the flagon once more as he offered Elodie a coy grin.

Elodie Rahlyn

Elodie huffed at his sarcasm and took a drink of mead. She followed the huff with a chuckle as Lowell feigned being a damsel in distress. Weary hunter, her ass, she thought. "Maggie helped me out when I was just starting on my own. She gave me a place to stay, she fed me, she kept me alive sometimes too. I repay the her kindness whenever I come into town." She smiled sweetly at Elodie and disappeared upstairs to get Lowell's room ready.

"My last name is Rahlynn so, of course, when she built this new inn she named it The Rahinn. She thinks she is funnier than she actually is." Elodie took another drink and studied the man. She was curious what brought him here. Alliria was the biggest city and it thrived on merchants. It made sense if he was actually a hunter that he would be selling his wares here. What were his wares though.

"What brings you to Alliria, Lowell?" he golden eyes continued to study him as she brought the glass to ther lips again.

Lowell DuBois

“Ah, so you were once a fellow, what did you call it?” He paused for emphasis. “Oh yes, ‘a creature in need of help,’ Lowell appeared quite amused with his comment, given how he had to stifle his own laugh. Regardless, when she explained the naming of the inn, he couldn’t help but to guffaw at the fun. When he finally settled down, he wiped away a tear forming in the corner of his left eye and took another swig from the flagon.

“Personally, I think she’s hilarious. Seems tough around the edges, but seeing you made her soften up. Maybe you should call her MaMaggie and see how she likes it.”

He could feel Elodie's eyes linger upon him. It wasn’t necessarily unsettling, but it was clear to him that she was studying him. As she pried for more information, he felt less keen on sharing any intimate, personal details with her, if only out of precaution. He had no issue conversing with her, but their conversation had been superficial so far. Until he knew he could trust her, he intended to keep it that way.

“I jest be sellin’ me wears, mum,” He responded to her inquiry, this time in a high pitched, childish voice before taking another drink of his mead and becoming less farcical, what with his voice returning to normal and expression reverting to a neutral one.

“But seriously. I hunt between here and Vel Anir. If I have a really successful trip, I peddle what I’ve caught here or there. If my trip isn’t as grand as it was this past time, I usually just hock it at the nearest village and look for a more populated area.” Another swig. “What brings you into town? And don’t tell me just to visit MaMaggie.”

Elodie Rahlyn

"She does not need an even bigger head than she older has," Elodie chucked and took a deep drink of the mead. Maggie was still out of the room, but she had a sneaky suspicion that the woman could hear all and see all.

She listened intently to his story and nodded. She could tell he was not telling her everything and she could not blame him. She did not know him and he did not know her. There was no reason to trust each other.

"It is to visit MaMaggie, of course," she chuckled and took another drink. "No, I am here for work." She was unsure if she wanted to divulge more than that. She did not really like the job, but the pay was too good to pass up. She just was not sure if she had murder in her. Well, she did, but she was unsure if she could murder a merchant who was stealing and torturing people even if he deserved it.

"Do you only hunt animals?"

Lowell DuBois

Elodie’s inquiry caught Lowell off guard. A thousand bells and red flags fired off in his mind. Was this woman after him? He took a look at his mead. He hadn’t been poisoned, or at least succumbed to the effects of the poison yet. If he had been poisoned, he was probably as good as dead. Might as well take another swig, so he did just that.

“Work, is it?” He asked. “I take it you might be someone who hunts quarry of the two-legged variety.” Maybe he could turn the tables and make her a bit uncomfortable. “I hunt a variety of things. Animals being my main trade. Valuables, stolen heirlooms.” He paused and shifted his gaze back to her. “Men. Women. Not as frequently as animals, but it pays well. An arrow through the heart kills all the same, though I’m more picky when it comes to prey of the sentient variety.”

He took another swig.

“Morality and all of that. I’ll save you the platitudes though. Given your question, I take it that you have a mark?”

Elodie Rahlyn

Elodie studied her drink for a few moments before nodding slowly. "There is a merchant in town who has been stealing and torturing people. I have been contracted to take care of him," she paused and took another drink before continuing. "I just have not killed anyone for money before and it feels dirty."

Maggie reentered the bar area and clucked at Elodie, "I already told you that you do not need jobs like that. That is no job for a young lady!"

Elodie rolled her eyes. It would not be the first time that she did something unpleasant for money and it would not be the last. "I really hope you do not think I am weak, because I am not. I just need pointers, I guess?"

Lowell DuBois

“I don’t know if theft warrants murder, but torture certainly does if we’re going by my moral playbook.” He looked curiously at the woman, studying her. “Killing is dirty, no matter how you do it. There will be blood, unless you’re a fan of poison, in which case the deaths can be infinitely more gruesome, depending on your employer’s preference. Sometimes, they want a head brought back as proof. In that case, make your decapitating strike swift and hard, lest you fail to disconnect their head in a singular cleave, in which case, the result won’t be pretty.”

Maggie chided Lowell’s fellow hunter, to which he chuckled. “Times are changing. Women shouldn’t be looked at as any less capable than men. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned; I learned that when I watched a woman almost beat her husband to death.” He shrugged, leaving the thought in the air.

“I wouldn’t call you weak just for having a few misgivings. Killing a man is a lot like killing an animal. There’s no honor in bounty hunting. Stalk your prey, catch him off guard, make it swift if possible. There’s not much else to say, other than pay attention to your surroundings. If he has guards or armed friends, you might have to kill them too.”