Fable - Ask Peace of the Grave

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first
A blood pact was quite a different thing in the eyes of a necromancer than to the uninitiated. In some respects it was more sacred, for they held the power of blood in higher esteem than those who spilled it futilely upon a battlefield. Khasmina had long lost her reflex to flinch at the knife's bite, and executed the bloody task with a surgeon's efficiency. Though it grated her to put so much trust in her newfound 'ally', she allowed Sir Nathaniel to make his own cut.

"Spirits above and devils below bear witness! By the fire in our veins, a promise made. A contract by blood bound. May my bones turn to ash if I betray it."

The nearby flicker of spirit, Khasmina noted, was laughing. And why wouldn't she be? Such a somber oath - a geas woven of lifeblood - for such a frivolous thing; a mere sliver of time in exchange for a book of tremendous power. And if he decided to change his mind... well, then she'd be rid of another obstacle without having to lift a finger.

Once the ritual was finished, she turned to beckon towards the lone manmade structure in the graveyard, though it was not visible beyond the leviathan bones arcing across and through one another. It was not a far walk to the crypt, but she sincerely doubted they would get there uncontested. Most of the risen dead were not controllable by a necromancer of any ability, merely bound to the violent wont of the energies of this place. Khasmina could avoid most of them with an old necromancer's trick that made them perceive her as if she was one of them.. but she could do nothing to camouflage the beacon of light standing near her.

"This way, I believe. Do watch your step."

"No, you can't go play with the angry bone man! Wait, what angry bone man?" she hissed under her breath once they had started walking.

Sir Nathaniel Vardan

• Devil
Reactions: Vardan
~At the crypt~

"Little lich." The figure murmured. "I need no one's partnership. Least of all, a weak, sorry fool like you. Rest assured, I could quite easily destroy you for your insolence, but you are not worth dirtying my hands. Warriors, KILL HIM!"

A snap and the grave guard suddenly turned and filed out of the mausoleum. At his command, they drew their weapons; wickedly sharp swords and spears and began to attempt to surround Vardan, their green eyes alight with murderous intent.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

~Nathan~

A brief moment of pain and Nathan's wrist was cut and the deal was sealed. With that, Nathan returned his gauntlet to its rightful place. Once the straps were fixed, he turned and followed closely behind Khasmina, making sure to snatch his blade back from its resting place. He noted his newfound ally was behaving somewhat oddly as they walked. He had heard her speak, but did not dwell on it, as a more pressing concern began to form quite quickly in front of them.

Directly ahead, in front of the crypt at the end of the path, Nathan could make out an unusual scene; warrior undead, at least a dozen of them, surrounding a lich with their weapons drawn. Before he could contemplate what that meant, three more of them suddenly began to appear from behind gravestones, swords drawn.

"For your own good, stay back my lady." Nathan murmured, raising his sword in a two-handed grip. "I will take care of them." With that, the edge of his blade was limned in golden light.

"Blessing of Holy."

The glow, the unbearable radiance from Nathan's sword spread from his blade onto the rest of his body and soon enveloped him entirely. The creatures shrieked as they beheld him; their forms steaming and decaying even before the brilliantly glowing Paladin reached them.

As the three approached, Nathan struck. The first of them parried his blade clumsily while the other two cleaved at the golden mist. With a turn of his foot, Nathan avoided their counterattacks, sidestepping each swing with one step apiece before he turned aside another from his first opponent. Steel sang as the four fighters went about their deadly exchanges.

Throughout it all, Nathan was grinning despite himself. Though his true enemy was directly ahead, a part of him was reveling in the challenge. These undead were far stronger, faster and more graceful with their weapons than any of the wights he had faced before. Stonnard must have been the first of their kind, he mused, a prototype meant to act as the front line defense. This whole strategy reeked of his handiwork. Far be it from him to waste any of his "material" in creating an army of the walking dead.

In the time it took for a man to blink, Nathan was already behind another, burying his sword in the first grave-guard's spine. In short order, it was sliced nearly in two as he ripped the blade free. The halves of its broken body fell, burning to ash even before it hit the ground.

((Final fight time is fast approaching))

She glared defiantly at him as he instructed her to stand back, as if she was a glass ornament that would shatter if abused by anything rougher than pillows and silk. Surely there was some sort of blessing of better sense he should be calling on.

But he was off again, traipsing through the raised servants like a boy at play. Khasmina's mother had been right about the hearts of men, it seemed: if you offered a lumberjack a sword for his axe, he'd soon find himself preferring chopping bones to wood. Give a man a taste of power, and he will try to make himself a god.

She found herself less interested in the paladin's battle than in the skeletal figure near the mausoleum door. Was that the lich of allir reach? No, it couldn't be. Struck her as strange, in any case, to see some of her former ally's more powerful servants moving around him with clear antagonism.

"Ah, that angry bone man," she said to apparently no-one, considering her next move as a severed piece of walking cadaver caught in her robe before turning to ash. She absently brushed the grey dust off of herself.

During the time Khasmina had worked with the one in the crypt, she had taken a few liberties to protect herself in case of a confrontation. It had taken quite some time to tease out the intricacies of the spell used to direct these servants, but she secretly managed to modify the magic in a few of his less favored minions - dormant and unnoticeable until she activated it.

Happily, another group of risen warriors wandered in from the west, and a couple of them carried her spell.

"Em etediv," she commanded in a steady voice, plying the threads of the original command spell apart in her mind's eye until she found the treasonous one she'd planted there. She gave it a mental tug, and two of the wights turned from their advance to strike at their erstwhile comrades. Elsewhere, her command would cascade through all of the minions she'd managed to previously alter - creating chaos if nothing else.

For her own good, indeed.

Sir Nathaniel Vardan

• Sip
Sir Nathaniel | Khasmina Zvonimir
"Ill-mannered clod," Vardan continued to fume, stalking around the mausoleum, occasionally kicking small rocks or pieces of rubble as he happened upon them, "Had I my retinue..."​
Arriving back at the front of the mausoleum, he was surprised to find the graveguard closing in on him. Vardan spied the paladin making ash piles of lesser thralls beyond them - accompanied by the sorceress from earlier. She seemed to only be giving the skirmish a wide berth.​
No, that wasn't right. The lesser thralls were turning on one another. It must have been her. No one else around had the means or motivation to do so.​
Vardan held out an empty palm as if to make an offering. A small, black fire - no bigger than a candle - sprung up there. He issued a wheezing, rattling laugh, "Is this thy wish? To be made kindling? Then be quick!"​
One of the graveguard stepped forward, poised to neatly decapitate the lich... Only to collapse abruptly into a neat pile of bones and armor. Like its strings had been cut, bindings disintegrated. In a way, that was precisely what happened.​
"Nhhheheheheh," Vardan cackled, and the black flame grew slightly in size. It snapped back and forth, still ravenous for more.​
Would they continue to oblige it?​

Nathan's grin widened as Khasmina's spell worked its way into the grave-guard. Soon another two turned on their own allies and cut each other apart, and then another and another until the living dead were embroiled into skirmishes all over. The animation that gave them a hint of personality had become their undoing. Unexpectedly, another one near the crypt fell to ashes, though not to Nathan's blade or to one of its own. Rather, the lich that he had detected earlier was acting against his enemy.

Perhaps they were not allies after all. Nevertheless, Nathan turned his attention to the nearest opponent not under Khasmina's spell or fighting against its own and parried an incoming sword stroke. Immediately he riposted and struck low, under its ribcage and turned on his left foot, redirecting his own blade into an underhand slash that severed it at the spinal column.

The flesh burned and almost instantly as he completed the swing, the creature lunged for his throat, dropping its sword in the process. The blade clanged dully on the ground as its wielder seized him about the jugular with rotten hands. Now only a torso, still, it held on tight with incredible strength despite that and how its hands burned upon touching him.

"Get off me!" He growled in between choked breaths.

With that, Nathan's free hand curled around the solar plexus and shoved, hard at the creature's chest. It fell a short distance away and landed on the wet ground. Almost immediately, it tried to force its way back up and crawled, on its hands towards him. The paladin put a stop to it as he advanced; shearing the head clean off its shoulders with his radiantly glowing sword.

He turned to make sure his ally was behind and his eyes widened in alarm.

"Khasmina, behind you!" He exclaimed.

With that, Nathan reared back and hurled his sword as one would a javelin. The blade soared straight and true, right past the sorceress and buried itself, blade first into her attacker's throat and reduced the creature to burning sludge before it could raise its spear.

Two more appeared from the east, working their way around rotten trees. They bore axes and had their baleful gaze upon Khasmina.

"Stay away from her!" Nathan roared as he turned to face them and put his frame in between her and her attackers. The glow around him intensified and he felt his blood turn red hot with anger and vindication. His previous delight in the thrill of combat had submerged beneath the fury of seeing his newfound ally under attack. Godsend turned aside an axe head as it came at him in a two-handed swing. Steel clanged and sparked as blades slammed against each other.

Snarling, Nathan delivered another blow - taking the first one's off with a single swing. He ducked under the other's counterattack as it came and lunged, driving his blade into a stab right through the creature's chest, driving it to the hilt into its un-beating heart. Still, he advanced and knocked its rapidly decaying body off its feet with a shoulder check. The paladin held the blade in both hands, allowing it to remain a second longer before he wrenched it free and watched in satisfaction as the corpse was reduced to cinders.

"This ends now." He muttered. He turned to the crypt.

"Hear me!" His voice boomed, long and loud throughout the wasteland, making every one of the grave-guard clutch their heads and screech. At the far end of the trail, a black, forbidding presence stirred and a cry of rage and pain sounded. Through his enhanced senses, Nathan could feel that through the connection with their master, they conveyed his agony.

Within, he was gripped with terrible pain from the purifying light and the necromancer desperately tried to keep up the spell sustaining his minions, but every second was sheer agony for them.

"I am a servant of the God of War and the instrument of His retribution. Too long have you held sway over this place. Understand that there are forces at work in this world, besides the will of evil. Come out and face me, Zasz!"

At the last word, slowly, very slowly, the doors of the great crypt were reopened. From within its black depths, the necromancer himself emerged. Nathan's eyes narrowed as he took in the sight of his old enemy.

Even before his descent into the dark arts, Zasz had been gigantic; unsurprising given he was himself a half-giant, but now he was a colossus wrapped in black steel, sleek and hard-edged. The armor's surface was a reflective sheen, as if the alloy was alive and coated with oily sweat, but no light, either from the moon or from Nathan escaped from it. In fact, the longer Nathan stared, the more it seemed to suck in and devour all radiance.

What flesh was visible beneath Zasz's plate was pale and necrotic; bleached of all color and life and any trace of humanity. He wore on the top of his head a thorny crown made of iron that stretched over his bald scalp. Green eyes glowed with bitter, ice-cold hatred above a face that was fixed into a permanent, hideous rictus grin. In his right hand he carried a mace with a shaft of ebony and a head of dark steel.

In his left hand, he carried a spellbook, bound in chains around its spine. For all the power it had granted and for all the secrets of the dark arts it contained, it was all things considered rather plain; a single white, ghostly figure was depicted on the cover over a dark brown field, but to one with magic sensitive eyes, one could see and 'hear' the wailing of the damned souls writhing within its depths.

For a long moment, no one spoke. No one dared breath. Then finally, the blackguard broke the stalemate by clenching his mace tightly and holding it aloft in a mock salute.

"It is good to see you again after all these years, brother." He hissed the last word in a voice as cold and sharp as an icicle.

"You lost the right to call me 'brother' long ago." Nathan snarled. It was impossible to tell which was filled with more hate; his voice or his eyes. "When you betrayed our comrades and turned to the dark arts."

"What other choice might I have had?" Zasz asked, sounding almost wistful. "When I lost my beloved Andrea, where were the gods? When I fell into despair, did the Order ever give me comfort or solace?"

"If I recall correctly, you rebuked us and turned away from the code. You earned my trust once, and we fought that bloody war together. Why? Why do this?"

"Because the dark arts promise a path. One that could bring her back to me. She will be returned to life."

"A life worse than death." Nathan said angrily. "She would not be as she was, Zasz. You know as well as I do, there is no resurrection, even if you had all the grimoires in your possession, there is only the living death you have embraced."

Zasz's eye twitched. "You're wrong, Nathan."

"Am I?" Nathan growled. "What is dead should stay dead."

"Still uttering the same nonsense." Zasz sighed. "No matter. Come midnight, I will cast a spell that will recall her from the land of the dead and be with her again, forevermore. And as for you, my former brother-in-arms, it is time for you and your new friends to DIE!"

In an instant, true combat was unleashed as both fighters charged, ignoring all else in their way as sword and mace met with thunderous impact. Stray dust and debris was scattered every which way upon the first strike and soon, both sets of arms were ground to a trembling halt. Muscles quivered with effort as Nathan struggled to push his opponent back, but he had met a foe whose strength easily rivaled his own.

• Popcorn
So Zasz had finally dragged himself out of the tomb to demonstrate what an insufferable windbag he was. And the paladin countered with... paladin things.

Khasmina groaned at the exchange between him and Nathan. "Oh, for the love of... would you two just get on with it?!" she shouted at them from the sidelines.

You should help the shiny knight, Khazzie. Big Zazz is mean and smelly!

"Be quiet!" Khasmina whispered harshly and glared at the empty space to her side. She made a subtle shooing motion. "Go find something to play with!"

Khazzie... don't be mean!

"Please
be quiet?"

The wispy voice in her head settled into an annoying humming noise, allowing her to concentrate more effectively on the fight. The paladin and the blackguard were now locked in a contest of strength. Normally she would have been quite content to sit back and let the brotherly reunion play out, but she had made a pact with this paladin to help him win this battle.

More importantly, Zasz had something she wanted.

She retrieved her own grimoire from its satchel and opened it. The half-giant's blood might have been mostly dead, but blood was blood, and the tome cared not what kind it was. It simply hungered.

Her own blood was the catalyst for the spell - one similar to the one she'd previously cast against Nathan to steal his strength. With her dagger in one hand she narrowed her eyes, and her will, at the blackguard who was so perfectly distracted by his foe.

A globule of blood grew from the book, bleeding into the air to form a crimson cloud that hovered over the two fighters briefly. Not a cloud, but a swarm of tiny red mosquitoes that descended upon Zasz, seeking the gaps in his armor where flesh and blood were vulnerable to their questing stabs.

"Just a slight tipping of the scales," Khasmina said with a malicious grin.

Red is pretty!

"Be quiet!"

Vardan Sir Nathaniel

• Gasp
Khasmina Zvonimir | Sir Nathaniel

Two more of the Graveguard tried to advance, and they likewise had the magic shriven from their reanimated forms. They collapsed into inanimate bones, weapons and armor clattering noisily into the stone beside them. Time permitting, perhaps Vardan would return to reanimate them for his own ends.​
The black flame smoldered in his hand now, as large as a campfire. Vardan took a few steps forward and the remainder of the Graveguard fled like dogs through the graveyard. Even a shred of sentience begat a sense of self-preservation. Perhaps they sensed their master's impending end and would rather take their chances elsewhere.​
No matter for Vardan. He closed his hand and quashed the flame. Faint wisps of smoke began to peel off of his figure as he absently trudged forward - stopping momentarily to retrieve a femur from one of the deconstructed Graveguard.​
He eventually arrived back at the entrance to the mausoleum, where the blackguard was fighting off the paladin and being assailed by familiar-looking blood bats. "Nnnh..."​
Vardan took a moment to limber up, rotating each shoulder, before gripping the femur with both hands and lobbing it like a throwing axe at the back of Zasz's head.​
"Bastard fool!" he jeered, for good measure.​

The mosquitoes ripped into the blackguard as he went for another attack. Zasz's blood, though long coagulated had begun to boil and drain within his pale skin, wreaking havoc on his body, yet somehow, he held on and fought through the pain. In fact, the longer the spell took hold, the more it seemed to feed into his rage. His struggle with Nathan, though evenly matched at first had begun to turn against his foe as the Paladin took shorter breaths; his fatigue finally beginning to set in, despite his own determination and will.

Suddenly, a femur bone struck Zasz just above the nape, momentarily distracting him as he turned to glare at the lich. If looks could kill, the lich would have truly died on the spot.
Nathan took this moment and riposted, trying to aim a stab at his foe's midsection before he could counter. The mace's shaft came back around and deflected it in an angle, just as Zasz returned his attention to him.

Another swing came back around and the mace impacted the ground with the force of a meteor, just as Nathan turned aside and leapt back, giving himself some much needed breathing room. Zasz continued his advance, withdrawing his weapon from the crater that his strike had formed.

He knew he was at a disadvantage; both in reach and with his weapon. There was no way to properly counter a mace with a blade. Strong blows against Zasz's defense would only create a chance for him to counterattack, while weak blows would not create the opening Nathan needed. Fighting with a mace was effective because it allowed Zasz to use his greater strength and his greater reach let him control the pace and the intensity of the fight. Furthermore, a direct hit would dent Nathan's armor. A blow to the head would in all likelihood be fatal.

Nathan considered his options as Zasz lumbered towards him, raising his weapon for a second strike.

A sword would do little against Zasz's own armor. Although Nathan's sword was magical, there was little it could do if he couldn't get in close; his opponent stood easily head and shoulders above him and Nathan could not advance without risking his exposed neck and face. There was just one move that would end this.

Before Zasz could close the distance, Nathan upturned his sword and grabbed it by the blade in a position known as "Half-Swording" and brought it around. Wielding his sword with the pommel and grip like a hammer, he caught the edge of the mace and forced it down with considerable effort. Releasing his grip, he dropped the sword entirely and rushed forward and stepped over the shaft, grasping and wrapping his arms around his foe's midsection and leg in an improvised takedown. To his surprise, Zasz stumbled and flailed about as he tried to keep grip on his mace and his momentary surprise allowed Nathan to topple him.

All previous dignity was lost as the two collapsed into the dirt. For a moment, they ceased to be a Paladin and Death Knight, but instead were reduced to former brothers-in-arms, struggling and wrestling and grappling with each other on the ground. With his smaller, lighter frame, Nathan was able to push himself off and got into a full mount, his hands snaking out either to grab at Zasz's throat or delivered the occasional punch to his face. In turn, Zasz frantically grabbed and delivered a few of his own. The energy behind each blow was lessened because of his prone position, but his reach and supernatural strength still was enough to daze Nathan.

With a jerk, Nathan lifted his right arm free and punched, hard, straight to his foe's exposed face - once, twice, three times, each blow to the side of his jaw.

"I shall not be denied!" Zasz snarled as his hand snaked out and grabbed the Paladin's fist in mid swing. With that, he forced himself up, his other hand grabbing at Nathan's neck. Icy fingers dug into his flesh. Before he could choke the life out of him, the Paladin reared back and lurched forward - smashing his face against his foe's in a brutal headbutt.

"You have...been fooled, Zasz!" Nathan growled. He brought his head down once again and this time, Zasz's nose shattered in a sickening crunch. "She is gone, forever!"

"Liar!" Zasz cried in between gasps of pain. "Liar! I will make you suffer for your falsehood!"

With a sudden effort, the blackguard shoved his opponent off and he rose to his feet. There was no composure left in him now. Only black rage and hate and a desire to return every bit of agony his three challengers had caused him, so palpable and intense he seemed to positively radiate a sense of malice. With surprising speed despite his frame, Zasz reached down and retrieved his lost weapon, just as Nathan clambered to his feet and snatched up his own sword. For a minute there was another pause. Both combatants simply glared at each other.

"Death cannot be bested." Nathan said in between breaths. He swallowed hard and regained some of his equanimity. "Even if you kill me, she is dead and she cannot return. That goes for anyone who has passed on."

"SHUT UP!" Zasz bellowed as he shouldered his mace and brought it down, harder on the ground. A wave of earth and loose soil suddenly erupted outwards in all directions. Nathan was the first to leap aside, behind a nearby gravestone for cover.

Last edited:
  • Wonder
Khasmina ducked behind a large shard of bone sticking out of the landscape, holding onto it for stability as the force of Zasz's attack rippled out towards her. The earth rocked beneath her feet despite her distance from the source, but the bleached old monstrous rib stood firm, shielding her from the clods of dead soil that rained down in its wake.

The mosquitoes continued to hover, awaiting the order to bestow Zasz's stolen strength somewhere. The necromancer's glance wavered on the paladin for a moment in consideration. No, he was too invested in trying to dissuade an enemy from a road that he'd been treading for a long time.

She returned to the cover of the osseous projection to hurriedly flip though the grimoire until she found the spell she was looking for. It would take more power than she was comfortable sacrificing, but for the tome it was worth the cost.

The swarm descended to the ground in a crimson mist that appeared to thicken in distinct places as the blood congealed and took form. Bones of various shapes and sizes flew from the plentiful store on and beneath the shattered earth, drawn into Khasmina's creation by the tome's magic. The wind picked up just enough to join in a chorus of disembodied howls and snarls.

Three constructs bounded into the fray, bodies woven of blood-made tendon and muscle and armored in clean bones. Like nightmarish wolves, they circled hungrily around Zasz, fanged maws snapping and snarling.

With its work done, the dagger clattered to the ground at Khasmina's feet. She took a gasp of stale air as she leaned against her bone shelter for support, letting the tome likewise drop from her trembling hand. It had taken enough. She grinned through clenched teeth at the symbol she'd carved into her arm, though her vision blurred into red-tinted visions of what her animated pack was seeing.

Sir Nathaniel Vardan

Nathan paused as he felt the workings of the spell. Necromancer or not, Khasmina's efforts were welcome. Zasz was stronger than he remembered. But then, he remembered his mission wasn't exactly to kill his old foe. He just needed to keep his attention. And then, it came. A new thought and a feeling, brief and bright and sharp. A feeling tugged at his heart, drowning out the feelings of anger and hatred and bitterness; a feeling he could not ignore.

Compassion.

Zasz was his brother-in-arms once. They had fought side-by-side a decade ago, and had saved ach other's lives countless times in past battles. Then he considered, his words were starting to rattle the blackguard, which showed that at least some part of his words were getting through - a fact which greatly pleased the Paladin.

Zasz's body could not be saved. The corruption that had taken root in him was dug far too deep to be reversed. Yet, there existed a tiny fragment of his old friend still in there somewhere. If he could just reach that part of him...

Still, there was the matter of Zasz's continued efforts to kill him. Throughout, Nathan had been holding back, either subconsciously or otherwise, trying to reason with his opponent. If he went for the killing blow now, he might quash that one little chance he had to save his haunted soul. No doubt his newfound allies would not show such mercy.

While his inner debate raged, Zasz's face twisted and his eyes burned with anger.

"Come out, Nathan!" He called. "Come out and fight me!"

As Khasmina's puppets began to appear, Zasz mentally cursed himself. Only a fool would have thought she wouldn't use her power against him, but he was not aware his stolen blood could be used to transfer strength, much less to create such constructs. Even so, they would prove to be little hindrance to him. His being half-giant meant his strength was unmatched by any of his foes, save Nathan for when he used his blessings, but all three had been used by now and would not be able to again until....

Midnight.

At that thought, Zasz's mind was immediately beset by panic. In his obsession with finally ridding himself of Nathan and his troublesome allies, he had completely forgotten about Andrea. With that, he turned and immediately tried to bolt for the crypt, chiding himself for his own idiocy. The battle was a distraction. Nathan's plan wasn't to defeat him; it was to stall him and to prevent him from achieving his goal of recalling Andrea's spirit. The ancient spells and lore written in the spellbook he had obtained detailed the exact specifications to make use of not only Andrea's body, but also the convergence of the leylines beneath their feet to fully reach out and call her spirit back to the mortal plane.

However, in order to do so, it had to be at the exact first stroke of midnight. If it passed without him invoking the spell, it would become impossible to do so for whoever knew how long. Zasz had spent the greater part of a decade preparing for this. All the hard work and effort and agony of missing her presence was finally about to pay off. He could not, would not let this happen.

Almost immediately, Khasmina's puppets barred his way and stopped him right in his tracks using their own bodies as meat shields. Zasz tried to raise his weapon and strike them down for their interference when suddenly, he heard it.

"Khasmina!" Nathan called from somewhere nearby. "The crypt! Do not let him return!"

Nathan suddenly reappeared from behind the gravestone at a sprint, running faster than the half-giant could have ever thought possible.

"GET OUT OF MY WAY!!!" Zasz bellowed at the top of his lungs and raising his mace. He brought it down into the first blood-creature's skull with such force that it was split messily in twain. The other two wrenched his arms to the side, each holding on with incredible strength despite the fact they were made from blood. As he frantically turned his body from side to side, Zasz looked out to where he could feel the connection with Khasmina.

"I can help you!" He called in desperation. "You want to resurrect someone you love! So do I! Set me free and I will help you to bring her back!"

"He lies!" Nathan said, halting right in his tracks. "Don't listen to him, Khasmina!"

"You are the liar!" Zasz roared. "You say resurrection is impossible, but with my knowledge it is not!"

"Khasmina, he is the liar." Nathan replied, his eyes full of pleading. "I speak nothing but the truth."

"No!!" Zasz snarled. "Just let me go!"

• Popcorn
Khasmina Zvonimir | Sir Nathaniel

Vardan made no move as the wave of earth rolled towards him - not even a peep. It bowled him over, and by the time the earth settled, he had been utterly buried. There was no sign of him for quite some time, but even a couple feet of dirt couldn't spare him the witless exchange between the paladin and the blackguard. Otherwise he might have just stayed in his little mound.​
He slowly emerged out of the earth like a particularly stubborn weed, brushing bits of plant matter and debris out of the crevices of his armor. By now the blackguard had been restrained by the duo's conjured bloodfiends, and the paladin was shouting nonsense, as those of their ilk were so prone of doing.​
"Zasz," Vardan drawled, pulling one foot out of the dirt, then another, "Thou'rt but a fool, still clinging piteously to the fetters of life. One who wears such shackles cannot truly conquer death. Nnnngh..."​
The old lich trudged around and found an overturned gravestone to sit on. He put two fingers into an eye socket and pinched, drew out a worm that had settled within, and absently discarded it over his shoulder.​
"Fret not. Beg for my pardon, pledge thyself to my service... And I may yet deliver thee from this bumbling, misbegotten mess."​