Private Tales One Fine Day

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Mab

Queen of the Winter Court
Character Biography
Link
It was a day of celebration. The palace had been decorated in all things green – green rugs, green silk shades undulating gently in the breeze, and jade vases and bowls bearing sprays of forsythia in bloom.

The serenity was broken by the thudding of feet and the tinkling of laughter. A young woman wearing jade green robes ran briskly through the halls, her black hair billowing behind her like a banner as she dashed past servants bearing trays of cakes and tea. They looked up with smiles or amused shakes of the head, but continued on with their duties as if it were a normal occurrence.

It was a normal occurrence, but today was a special day. No one called after her. No reprimands were voiced. Today was her day – and her guests had arrived.

Ruosin ran into the grand foyer where the door was just closing behind the arrivals, her slippers sliding on dark wood floors polished by ages of traffic. When she had nearly slowed, she took up a run once more and threw herself into the joyous embrace of the two young duanann who rushed forward to hug her.

"Ephi! Thiri!" She laughed. The three girls were a wriggling mass of giggles and embraces until Ruosin finally extracted herself. She waved to the adults who had brought her friends. "Mama is waiting in my apartment. Let's go!"

Mab took in the decorations – the table and place settings, the gifts waiting to be opened – and wondered where the time had gone.

Twenty-two years. It passed so quickly. Ruosin's childhood was there and gone, and now her little girl was somehow grown up. Somewhat. As duanann, she would be a child for centuries more. Yet as a young person grown, there was an undeniable maturity to her little dove.

She sighed heavily from the cushions of the sitting room adjacent to the dining room. Ruosin had chosen to have her celebration in her apartment this year. Her sitting room was not a foreign place, rather somewhere she ventured often, so Mab had little trouble making herself at home.

She sighed again, feeling restless as she waited. Normally, Mab would have been greeting this particular group of guests with her daughter. Much to her ire, however, she was incapable of it. Today of all days. She sipped her tea and glared at the bandaged ankle that offended her. It was a constant reminder of yesterday and would continue to remind her until it was healed. That, as much as having to wait, was enough to make her temper sharp.

Not today. Mab inhaled the aroma of her tea in a deep, calming breath. She wasn't going to be pissy and ruin Ruosin's day. She wasn't going to be catty in front of him.

Mab heard Ruosin's laughter first and a smile curled the corners of her mouth. Ruosin's, as well as Thiri and Epheria's. The three girls appeared, arms linked together, and she felt a familiar tug at her chest. Her happiness was a balm to any irritation.

Mab stood with a wince and Ruosin gasped.

"Mama, sit back down!" she chided. Her mother scoffed and smirked.

"You're not old enough to boss me around yet." That would be a while yet.

She didn't want to greet their party guests sitting. How uncouth! She straightened the front of her gown to make herself more presentable, splinted and bandaged foot be damned. As usual, Mab dressed finely. Her gown was fitted, with a hemmed slit on both sides to the thigh and a high collar that accentuated the curves of her chest and hips. The slim pants beneath covered most of her injury, but the bandages wrapped around her ankle were still visible.

It was amazing how two decades could pass in what felt the blink of an eye. After so many millennia, a decade hardly felt like a sigh - and a short one at that when the reminder of Ruosin's 22nd birthday arrived in the form of one very excited, flame-haired Ephi. How could he have forgotten? She'd been gushing about the party for nearly a week... but it all tumbled together within his mind and became one with the mental detritus of all the hundreds of other things of import.

Ru's birthday was, of course, quite important and very much a priority. He'd missed the first six birthdays and so it had been settled by the young Princess herself that he should not miss a single other one. How strange it felt, to be chastised by a little girl, and yet terribly endearing. Not just because of whose daughter she was, but it helped her case.

Their arrival to the court might've been more prompt, but cross words from Aethiriin had kept them. There was always something with the little dark one and knowing her parents as he did, Asemir could not help but think Baenon might've passed his own troubles on to his chyld. Presently she was at war with her Godfather for his persistent neglect to allow her to join the Sluagh. More than at least a hundred times she had enfeebled herself to him, begging for him to convince Veithir, much to her dismay. Ase would not step in where his feet had no hold. He was but her Guardian and though he considered her like true family, it was Veithir's place to make those sorts of decisions, not his. Her temper had become wild as of late and much as he tried to stay on her good side, he was finding a lot of broken things about his home every time she visited.

Thiri would never break something on purpose, but her Affinity Powers saw that those suffering her ire also suffered damaged property. He'd brought fresh flowers from Kor Aren with him for the Princess, and curiously they had not only wilted but molded on the trip here. Luckily nothing happened to the remaining presents - so fond was Thiri of her dear friend. Asemir breathed a sigh of relief as her foul mood shifted in an instant upon spying Ruosin running towards them and all at once there was glee again.

Frightening how quickly and strongly those emotions changed course, even Cee remarked upon it to him. He hoped for the sake of everyone in the Winter Palace that the girl remained in high spirits for the duration of her visit. Ase passed a large chest containing the presents off to the attendants and took up Ceilidh's arm as they watched the girls run off. Wasn't hard to follow the sound of their squealing giggles and soon enough the pair of white-haired duannan arrived to the apartment. Ceilidh immediately greeted her best friend with delight and grace. Asemir hung back, his eyes instantly finding the bandages peeking out at the bottom of her pants hem. She might've had more success hiding it with a long and billowy dress - the fact remained she'd chosen pants, and they had never been her first choice for wardrobe even for her casual days.

His brow furrowed as he waited his turn, giving the adult girls their bonding moment while he wondered if it was too early to ask after a fresh glass of whisky. Ceilidh stepped aside, granting him full view of Mab from where he stood and he did not hide the fact that he'd found her ailing ankle. When Mab looked at him he felt her eyes on him and she quite readily caught him staring, brow tight, before glancing up to meet her gaze.

"Mmm," he greeted her with a quiet, questioning look as he took up her proffered hand for his customary kiss to her knuckles, "new fashion of yours..?" Ceilidh hadn't noticed yet so he spoke low and made no show of looking again.

Last edited:
  • Cthuloo
Reactions: Mab
She laid eyes on Cee first and let them stay there. No better than their children, the two women embraced in a stir of murmurs and giggles. Mab whispered something in her ear and the two chattered like birds on a spring morning. Only when Ceilidh moved aside in an obvious opening did she look past her.

Asemir was staring at her ankle. Mab didn't move, only offered him her hand. She averted her eyes when his lips touched her knuckles.

"I'm testing a more matronly wardrobe. What do you think?" Mab gestured down her long figure in a motion that beckoned, demanded appraisal. "I shall drive them wild at the retirement homes." Ceilidh giggled. That, at least, amused someone.

She didn't hate the look. If she'd chosen it freely, she might have delighted in the freedom of movement the ensemble offered. As she was more or less forced, however, she could not have despised it more.

"I'm fine. I merely sprained my ankle yesterday while riding with Ruosin." There was no need to be coy about it; she'd be hobbling about the room momentarily. She waved a dismissive hand at Ceilidh, who finally noticed and gasped. She gave Asenir a look. "I've been seen by my personal physician and it is already on the mend. There is absolutely nothing to fuss about."

Hopefully that would be all she had to say on the matter right now. In that vein of thought, Mab smiled and reached to give Ceilidh's hand a squeeze.

"I'm so glad you're here." She smiled at Asemir, too, and gestured to the cushions. "Let's sit. We will have lunch after the girls have had a moment to settle down."

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Asemir
Nothing to fuss about indeed. Asemir did not need a cue to take in any ensemble she wore, but his mind was far from clothing where the more important notion of why wasn't her ankle healed already by one of the court's healers was there to distract him. He shared a glance with Ceilidh who seemed to be thinking the same thing, but neither of them said another word on it, as was the Winter Queen's wishes.

"I'm so glad you're here."

He was certain she felt that way about Cee, though it was never so easy to say for himself. Ase caught her smile and offered a fleeting one of his own in return, "As am I," he replied and gladly took the offer to be off his feet while it was there. He sank into the cushion arrangement with a deep sigh.

Cee whispered something to Mab about the Dowager Queen's continued stay at the Dusk Court while Asemir made himself as comfortable as he could. He'd have taken a nap there if he thought he could get away with it. When refreshments were offered he gladly asked after whiskey. The strongest they had.

"Let's not open the floor of discussion on that subject," Ase side-eyed Cece as he accepted his drink, "what has the Princess planned for her party this year? Nothing too competitive, I hope, or Thiri may just snap..."

• Cthuloo
As am I. She never got tired of hearing that.

Thankful they didn't push. She felt a little guilty when the pair exchanged a look… but not guilty enough to spill the beans then and there. She settled back into the cushions and sipped her tea, then nearly spit it out when Cee whispered in her ear.

"Still?" Mab slid an amused look toward Asemir, who used her same tactics to avoid talking about it. Turnabout was fair play. She'd just corner him about it another time.

"After last year's croquet match, I'm sure you'll be relieved to know that this year she has opted for arts and crafts. Silk painting, fan making, and friendship bracelets." They still weren't talking about the bills incurred by the damages from that shitshow. Poor Thiri was having the hardest time with her burgeoning magicks, not to mention the tumultuous ride that was adolescence.

Mab remembered being that age. Briefly, before she locked those memories back in their box. She watched the trio in silence for several beats. She didn't want to talk about how worried she was for Baenon and Aster's daughter. She recalled her father struggling at a similar age, as all black shucks did, to control his shadowform, and he had been cool and level-headed. She didn't want to talk about Baenon. There was a lot she didn't want to talk about today.

A deep weariness hung about her eyes as she watched the girls before she lowered her gaze and plastered on a lovely smile for Asemir and Ceilidh. They were all going through a lot. They were all owed a good time.

"I think I'll also take something to drink," she said suddenly to a servant delivering little tarts. "Bring me that wine Lord Malkin sent me for my birthday a few winters back. Bomenn will know which one. Ceilidh, would you like a glass?"

• Yay
Friendship bracelets.

The Gods were generous this birthday. That took a considerable weight off his shoulders and Asemir loosed a sigh of deep relief. Maybe he would have that nap after all. The man sank back into the cushions, utterly spent by the wear of it. He didn't care if attendants were present. To hell with appearances, he was tired.

"Ase..." Cee smiled after him with no small amount of amusement of her own and glanced to the teacup in her hands, "well I'll not be left out if you're both partaking. Please."

Lirienn's presence effected everyone, whether they wanted it to or not. Of course there was more to it than simply her, even if the Dowager Queen still liked to think the world revolved around she morning, noon, and night.

Aethiriin was, of course, completely enamored with this years activities. Deeply artistic at heart, it pleased her so not to be in competition with the Princess or Ephi - both of whom got whatever and everything their hearts desired. Or so she believed. She skipped over from the other two, her large eyes presently the bright color of ripe peaches, "Uncle," and promptly plopped onto the divan cushions next to him, all dark skirts and hair, with no curiosity as to why the Dusk Court King was flat out so early in the day. Usually he saved this state of himself for past afternoon tea and they hadn't even had lunch yet!

She leaned over him, dark hair draping about her shoulders, "Isn't it a little early for this?"

Asemir cradled the crystal tumbler in his hands while it rested on his chest and fixed her with a look of pointed, practiced patience, "What do you need, Thiri?"

She leaned down, cupped her hand over his ear, and whispered loud enough that Mab and Cee could hear from where they sat, "I want to give Ru her present now."

"Why can't it wait until she opens them all?"

Thiri grabbed at his shoulder and shook it insistently, "Because it's better now." She sloshed his drink and he lifted is head in alarm to bring the glass away from threat of mess, "Alright. Alright - don't waste the gold. Ask the Queen where the presents are being kept."

Her face split into a broad smile and she hopped up to grant Mab a curtsey, "Where are her presents? I want to give her mine right away."

• Cthuloo
Seeing Asemir be bullied by his child made her feel a lot better about all the times she had been bullied by hers. Mab mouthed a silent thank you to the woman who brought her and Cee wine, but was otherwise fixed on the harassment Thiri was laying on her uncle. As if Mab wasn't sitting two cushions away.

As if Ruosin wasn't an adult who could have made this decision herself.

"I see no reason why not. Go get the birthday girl and we will do them all right here." Screw walking anywhere else. Asemir looked half asleep already. What a mood.

It took the staff only a few minutes to rearrange the sitting room to accommodate the modest pile of gifts and the partygoers. The adults didn't even have to move. Ruosin sat on her cushion, as bright and lovely as the first crocus leaves peeking emerging from snow.

Mab sighed happily.

"Thiri's first!" Ruosin laughed. She was poised and ready, but still exuded an air of patience and calm. Thank the gods. Thiri might have destroyed the room if she had to wait.

Well, so much for his nap. Asemir righted himself, asked for a topping-off of his tumbler to replace what had been spilt, and managed to scrounge up some enthusiasm stashed away to look pleased at the state of Ru's party. He was glad, of course, to see her so bright and cheered, but he would be lying if he said he wasn't a bit more glad to see Aethiriin looking happy, too.

Thiri brought her gift over, a basket whose top had been wrapped up with a pretty, dark blue fabric. Her skipping brought her with a rare and bright smile to her friend's side opposite Ephi and she placed the basket on the floor in front of her.

Much in line with this year's activities, the basket contained a trio of matching supplies for painting.

"I had meant for you to bring it next time you visited us in Kor Aren," Thiri explained, "Granny Cece's going to do a paint-and-sip for us! Oh but, maybe if there's time we can do it here instead?"

Asemir smiled while he watched. It was a warm, doleful sort of thing that he affected whenever the girls were good to each other. Which, truthfully, was quite often. None of them were cruel at heart and though Thiri had her troubles, she did really try hard for them. She loved them so.

"Not to take away from what you have planned, of course," she added carefully to Ru.

• Cthuloo
Ruosin gasped and took the basket. Her eyes lit up as she began pulling out art supplies, and she turned to Thiri with another gasp.

"Oh, I love it! Of course, we can do it!" Her brain caught up to her excitement and she turned to Cee, suddenly. "If Aunty is okay with it," she added carefully to Ceilidh.

Mab chuckled into her glass. The three might cause an unending string of troubles for their parents, but they minded their manners and were never assholes for long.

Of course, it was okay with Aunty Cee. And, of course, there was excited squealing. Ruosin pulled out the supplies to pass out to the other two and they looked through them together. It was such a simple gift, but nothing else was going to shine as brightly in their minds. Mab entertained herself with some idle chatter with Ceilidh about recent affairs and gossip, occasionally pulling Asemir in to keep him from drifting off. Only after she was sure Thiri’s excitement had been sated as well as Ruosin’s, Mab steered the group back to the task at hand.

The birthday girl surveyed the modest pile of pale green and ivory gifts stacked around her. Some were sent in from dignitaries wishing to garner favor from Mab. Others were from loose acquaintances at Court. A few had been sent from their cousins among the Duanann Houses. The bulk of Ruosin’s birthday gifts were cards and letters, coming from all corners of the continent to wish the Winter Princess another year of happiness.

All of them had been rewrapped, as both a precaution and a game. Everything that came into the palace was checked for nasty tricks or spells. Mab loved her daughter dearly and protected her fiercely, but she never wanted the burden of her safety to weigh on the girl’s shoulders. So Mab's little amusement was born: all the presents (except those brought by their beloved guests) were wrapped in the same paper. Ruosin would have to open all of them to find the three things her mother had given her.

“I’d like to open the rest Thiri and Ephi brought first,” she declared. A smart choice, given how the teens were vibrating with anticipation.

• Cthuulove
Well that was a relief. Asemir breathed a bit easier watching Aethiriin's expression warm and brighten. Perhaps today would be a good day. One that Thiri could look back on without regrets or guilt - something that was becoming more and more difficult for her as she struggled with herself.

He watched the girls as they fluttered about in their excitement, recalling prior years of birthdays and sleepovers. What a wonderful childhood they all lead, all things considered. That they did not grow under the weight of Summer's terrible social constructs or the fear and threat of full scale war ever-looming on the horizon. They knew little more care than what they might wear to a party or when they might see one another next.

And now, present after present. From Thiri, Ephi, himself, and Ceilidh. Treasures and treats of all sizes and types. Clothing, jewelry, accessories, candies and sweets, decorations for her room, and much to Mab's chagrin three small Puffling pets.

proxy.php

Then it was on to the countless other gift boxes in the pile. Every year it seemed to grow in scale and every year it seemed to take longer and longer to go through. Ase was grateful for the fact that Ephi and Thiri never seemed jealous of the Princess' grand assortment of gifts. No complaint had ever been uttered at their own birthdays.

"Is it just me," Asemir leaned over to Mab, muttering quietly, "or are we going to need a second day for gift opening by next year..." he was smirking to himself of course and went to take another sip from his tumbler only to find it empty.

"Hmm," the man sighed and set it aside. He probably shouldn't get too many glasses in this early in the day.

"Another, Lord Kor Aren?" asked one of the attendants.

"No, thank you, coffee will do. Make it strong..."

Last edited:
  • Cthuloo
Ruosin’s wardrobe and jewelry collection grew with each gift. She was such a sweet girl and would adorn herself in these gifts throughout the year, penning thoughtful notes of thanks to their senders. She opened several trinkets that would soon be at home in the bedroom cabinet where she hoarded her shinies like a little raven.

None of them, however, elicited the magnitude of excitement as the pufflings. Ruosin drew in a shrill gasp before slapping her hands over her mouth when she opened up the collection of floral critters. Her eyes instantly flew to Mab, who was already sighing. She wasn’t keen on pets, dodging years of begging eyes and thoughtful presentations on the benefits of pets for children, but those years were defeated in one fell swoop.

“Just keep those things out of my garden,” she chuckled. She had already resigned herself to the presence of the disgustingly cute things.

Ruosin hit the piles outside of their company’s gifts and Asemir leaned over. She inclined her ear to him but kept her gaze fixed on the girls. She loosed a short laugh.

“And encourage them to send more?” She shook her head but kept smiling. When the attendant flitted away to fetch coffee for Lord Kor Aren, it was Mab’s turn to lean in. She spoke low.

“Can we talk? After the presents are open and the girls start their crafts? Alone, preferably.” Mab spared him a glance but quickly looked away. She rarely asked him aside. Mab maintained a constant buffer of other people so she didn’t have to be by herself with Asemir. A decade of playing at being friends hadn’t soothed the millennia of hurt she still harbored.

But for the first time in a very long time, she needed Asemir. The thought made her sit up straighter, pride lifting her chin and cloaking the reluctance swirling in her silvery gaze.

The presents had been opened and Mab’s small tokens were found: a simple gold bracelet with charms of the moons and stars, a new fan embroidered by Mab herself, and a new calligraphy brush and ink set. They weren’t the most exciting gifts her daughter opened, but the love and appreciation she sent Mab’s way when each was found melted her heart.

As usual, Mab insisted that they eat before the activity could commence, and the trio practically inhaled their lunch in the rush to play. Ru, Thiri, and Ephi cornered Cee as soon as she set her utensils down after her last bite, and the four of them set up for crafting in the garden.

Then Mab couldn’t avoid Asemir any longer. She’d requested a private chat, but she was still… Anxious? Sick to her stomach? Dreading everything she had to say to him? All were feelings she had been experiencing all too much lately, necessitating this chat.

Withdrawing to the sitting area once more, she propped up her foot, took a long, steadying breath, and turned her body toward Asemir. She met his eyes as if the gravity in her expression might prepare him for her next words.

“I read the book.”

Mab abhorred the book of futures sent by the Dusk Court. They were unnatural, fickle thoughts that could drive a ruler mad and a kingdom to ruin trying to avoid or fulfill things that might never come to pass. She was distrustful of clairvoyance and prophecy and relied on her experience, wisdom, and intuition to guide her.

At least, she had up until last week. Mab wasn’t a fool; something bad was stirring in the Courts. She couldn’t ignore the rising tensions between Winter and Summer, couldn’t pretend she didn’t see the signs she’d seen twice before. They were small – grains of sand that marked the first subtle mounds of the ant hill. But someday soon they’d pile higher until they were a tower that housed a colony of trouble. She’d wanted to ignore them, to pretend like she wasn’t going to have to go to war again, but even Mab couldn’t look away from this.

It wasn’t going away and all too soon, she’d have to make a decision. Again.

The dread that bled through into her gaze was the same that had made her open the book. She clasped her hands tightly in her lap and lowered her voice further.

“I need your advice. Not as my friend, but as the King of the Dusk Court.”

“Can we talk? After the presents are open and the girls start their crafts? Alone, preferably.”

What just a few short words could do to him still after so many years. Asemir had never once fretted an audience with anyone, not even Mab, but it did not stop his mind from churning through just what on Arethil she could possibly need him alone for. Ten short years had softened their relations and repaired the foundations of that bridge, but it was still a delicate and malleable connection. A spider's web holding together two roving mountains.

It gave and it flexed and it returned to shape mostly intact despite rumblings of minor discourse between them, but he was all too aware that it could so easily snap given the right impetus. Asemir knew, beyond a doubt, it would never be fixed again should that come to pass. So he'd been careful. He'd not pushed for anything that did not come naturally. He'd been patient in her silences. He'd been grateful for the presence of the girls that kept that tether strong. He'd let hope feed his gestures and decisions where Mab was concerned, but he'd long since given up on dreaming of anything to come from it.

Resigned to his life as the Dusk Court King. No longer as quiet as he'd had preferred given the tumult over the last decade, he found purpose in tending to his people and ensuring their continued prosperity and safety. His Omnia were, of course, aware of the burgeoning strife between the major Courts, but he'd elected to remain as distanced from the knowledge as he needed to. Even still, he wondered if Mab would ever come to him on the matter or if, as she had made such a show of over the last several thousand years that the Dusk Court had offered the Futures tomes, remain in due and prideful ignorance.

The silence of him was all-encompassing after he'd nodded in consent at her initial ask and much later beyond their lunch, followed her into the sitting room. Her words pushed him not so much into surprise, but into aggravation. The man's lips thinned and his eyes narrowed, cutting a glacial stare at her the likes of which she had not seen since the day he'd left her so many millennia ago.

Mab was used to orchestrating her life just-so. If she had her way, she'd conduct her own funeral ceremony because she would not trust another to do the job right. He knew her well enough to know that she operated for efficiencies, and that this lovely conversation was not offered to him out of convenience of a break in the birthday festivities, but that she had pre-planned to have it on this specific day long before it landed in his lap.

Therein lay the rub.

Windchimes near by began to sing as the gentle breezes of the day picked up in a churn of a sudden gusts.

"You would deign, after how many thousands of years, to give the continued efforts of my Court a singular grain of consideration and pull me into a problem of your own making on the celebration of your daughter's birthday of all days?" He was livid. No, he was beyond livid. Suddenly all the anger, resentment, and grief came rushing back in on the tides of memory, flooding his mind with the countless years of being used by her for her whim, fancy, and pleasure with nothing to show for it but a broken heart.

Asemir stared at her, felt his muscles coil and his fingers dig into the palms of his hands. His younger self would have lashed out, would have yelled and berated her, uncaring of the joyous event it would have disrupted. He would not do that. Would not let Mab's poor planning and lack of care towards him, his court, his people, and what they stood for ruin this day.

"How dare you."

What an auspicious day to argue with her ex.

The cutting look came a moment before his cool, equally cutting reply. He didn’t yell, but Asemir didn’t need to yell to take her out at the knees and make her feel small. The open vulnerability in her expression snapped shut and her cool, blank court facade took its place, but color flashed across her silvery skin. She couldn’t remember the last time she had blushed for anyone or anything, but damn it if Asemir didn’t draw the heat from its slumber.

A younger Mab would have already sniped back, wielding her hurt to wound him in equal measure – more, if only to feel like she’d won. Instead, Mab looked away and took several thoughtful breaths before answering. She would remain calm. She reminded herself that Asemir had every right to be mad at her, to resent and hate her. He had several rights, now that he was a King and not just her ex-lover, and she had clearly struck too close to something.

A problem of her own making. Gods, did he still think so little of her? She was trying to take his advice and read the fucking books because she was scared of a war she couldnt stop from coming despite her best efforts. She had been too casual; they hadn’t reconciled as much as she’d thought. That, more than his reprimand, stung. She fought back the burn in her chest that crept up her throat.

Her demeanor shifted, the practiced air of a queen replacing the repose of an old friend. Mab kept her eyes lowered in deference and clung to the proper Court protocol to come away as peacefully as she could manage at this point. What a fucking mess she’d made of it, too. Another footnote in their bad history.

“I’m sorry I was too proud to read them before. Whatever penance Dusk requires as an apology, I will meet it.” Apologies did not come easily or lightly from her mouth, especially to him. It might have been the first time she'd ever apologized to Asemir for anything. That didn't feel great, either.

“I’ll defer my request for another time, Lord Kor Aren.” Or not. It would take some time for her pride to recover enough to ask him again. She held her excuses, feeling they weren’t going to fare well no matter how well-intended.

Mab glanced in the direction of the girls, blissfully unaware and having a great time – as she hoped they could stay forever and knew they wouldn’t. She wanted to be done with the conversation, to leave it there and never breach the subject with him again, but she had to try. They could resent each other and still work towards the common goal of making a world where their children could be happy and safe.

"But please allow me the time for council," she added. "If not with you, then another."

His ire was far too worked up with the fuel of his past grievances. The notes of Mab's apology were poignant, yes, but fell upon the ears of a man who was not willing to hear them in the moment. There was so much that needed to be said and more that needed to be yelled. For him. For Dusk. For the Omnia and their Futures tomes. For every year they had granted the leaders of each major Court their time, their gifts, their advice and aid. Mab had played her role in being a proper hostess, but she had sneered at the Futures tomes and cast them aside like a rotten fruit.

The man's grimace remained in place, jaw drawn taught to withold the words that so desperately wanted to roar through his teeth. Her humbled poise struck him at his core, but all he could do was bite at the emotional wound to relieve the pain. Staying here, engaging in this conversation any longer, would not lead to good things.

Asemir took a step back, frown deepening, then turned and withdrew himself from it entirely in silence to rejoin the girls.

A silent retreat was at the very least better than one heated by words of anger. He would calm down. He would think. He would come back to it when he was ready.

"Whisky," he snarled at a servant that had come to offer him more coffee.

"Uncle Ase!" Ephi exclaimed as he arrived to the little crafting area, forcing the shadow from his expression for one of tired, thin warmth as Epheria gushed about the lovely things they were making together.

He didn't say anything. Asemir made no promises, but he made no further scathing remarks. He simply left, and Mab held her breath until he was in the courtyard. When it was safe she let it out. She tipped her head back to stare at the ceiling.

She never cried; it was one of her many toxic traits. The burn of them gave rise to a growing sense of anxiety along with the choking feeling, a bubbling race to find out which one overpowered the other. She'd shrugged off much of what she had endured in her brother's home, but not this. Finding a flaw in the ceiling, she focused on that until she could breathe more evenly.

A servant shuffled quietly forward and she sat up once more. "Another glass of wine, please, Oona."

Oona nodded and busied herself with the task and Mab watched the garden activities. The girls were showing off their artwork to Asemir and he was back in the mode of the nonchalant, grumpy uncle. She didn't dare let her gaze linger, except the moment she looked away her eyes met Ceilidh's.

Cee raised her brows in silent question and Mab answered with a shake of her head and a half-assed smile. Cee narrowed her eyes but went back to painting with the girls.

"My Lady." Oona set down a mew glass of wine beside her. Mab smiled and inclined her head in thanks and she was left alone with her wine and the gently swaying pufflings. The wind blew and the chimes stirred. The girls' hair and dresses and artwork fluttered in the light breeze. It was peaceful.

Enjoying the view of the festivities from afar only lasted so long. Eventually she yearned to be part of the excitement again, and not even the urge to avoid Asemir could keep her away for long.

Shifting into an owl – something she only did in close company and chose to do today because she desperately wanted to see the girls' artworks while also respecting the limitations set by her healer – she flew out of the sitting room and perched atop Ephi's easel. She tucked her injured foot against her belly and swiveled her head around to peer at the painting.

Granny Cee had chosen a lovely scene for their paint-and-sip. Trained in all the arts as a proper noble of her time was expected to be, Mab flitted to each and offered compliments on the form and constructive critiques on their artistic progress. She was proud of their work, but was happier to see them having fun.

Finally, she settled on Cee's easel last. She gave it the same appraisal, tilting her head this way and that.

"Almost as good as the girls'," she teased. Ceilidh was, of course, a master at her craft. Mab had a portrait of herself in her private apartments, as well as many other artworks she had collected as gifts and purchases over the years. She was Cee's greatest fan and would be until she finally keeled over.

"You flatter me," Ceilidh laughed.

"You must promise not to laugh at my painting later." She ruffled her black feathers. Mab was studied in all arts fine and proper, but that didn't make her art good.

Ceilidh smiled her brilliant sunshine smile. "I promise I will not laugh at your painting."

Mab gave a single succinct nod of satisfaction and returned to the sitting room on silent wings. Asemir could enjoy the garden with Cee and the girls. Mab made herself comfortable again and Oona refilled her wine. She focused on the progrrss of the paintings instead of her churning thoughts.

• Dab