Open Chronicles On The Run

A roleplay open for anyone to join
Amalia was reeling at the grime that covered her outfit when Kyla came from nowhere to pin her to the wall nearby. She let out a light gasp and her eyes lit up. She was entranced while her old friend threatened her. Even if Kyla was shaking while trying to display some of her killer instinct from the past, it excited Amalia like no other. As the red headed warrior let her go she took a second to catch her breath, a wide smile stained across her face. She looked at Kyla a long time before she caught up to the two of them, knowing she'd be able to revert the warrior back to her old ways in no time.

"The gardens are on the ground floor, aren't they?" She said walking up to the both of them, adjusting her clothing a bit. "I'm guessing the person you kil- were framed for killing... Was a VIP of some sort. How much farther passed the garden? It would be a good idea to plan for anyone waiting for us." She crossed her arms and tapped her foot a little. Maecey knew more than her and Kyla what awaited them, so she had to rely on the knowledge she had as a maid, or whatever she was to this place. Her story still didn't sit quite right but she couldn't prove the halfling was lying. She just really, really wanted her to be.

"Well yes...he was the Duke of the city." Had she not mentioned that before? She could have sworn she had.

Oops.

Well she figured they were already in this for the long run, not need to worry about anyone getting short in their pants now. A smile crossed her face briefly, but she did not let it show for long and instead drew attention forward.

"There will likely be some servants." Maecey offered. "No Guards though. At least not in the gardens. Beyond that we'll need to head towards the manor."

Where there would be guards. "There's a balcony, once we climb that. That will be the Dukes study."

“Makes since.” Kyla said with a nod. “I guess we can just follow your lead then, and maybe cloud can make her self useful and ice us up a ladder eh?” She would say glancing back at the cloud burst with a small smirk before turning her attention

“What happened anyway? Must’ve been PRETTY insane if the whole city’s been locked down over a little sewer rat like you..” She paused before seeming to realize exactly what she said.

“Um..no offense..and I know cloud kind already alluded to what happened but I’d sooner trust what I’m standing in right now over her word.” She continued smiling apologetically. “I just mean I’d like what happened from you. Not exactly every detail. Just enough for me to understand.” She finished.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Maecey
Oh wow, the duke. What a ride this was going to be. She had figured it needed to be someone of important stature but that was, much larger than she had anticipated. Marvelous! She was even more into the idea than previous. It also made more sense as to why there was such an enormous crowd gathered. "Well then, we can follow your lead just fine then since you'll know the path best. I'll make it a point to be the one to deal with interlopers should they come."

She looked back at Kyla; "Can't wait to see you kill again. It's been far too long."

• Popcorn
proxy.php

"Mr... Saldeenous?"

Aratus turned his head to the servant, narrowing his eyes. He told him with a look alone that in fact, he had gotten his name entirely wrong.

"I'm afraid the Duke cannot meet with you today regarding the trade matters, or the investment your wonderful-" Aratus rose to a stand. Sure enough, he was simply a messanger. A soldier on one hand, and an envoy in the other. Trade agreements were not his forte, but they were important for his city, for it's survival. And their immediate neighbors were among the most profitable and productive members of that agreement.

So the Duke suddenly deciding, that he would not meet for a mutually beneficial and extremely lucrative trade deal, set off the alarms in his otherwise relaxed mind.

The servant approached him cautiously, extending a handful of documents. "Papers for your travel and stay in the city, sir. As the Duke cannot meet with you-" Aratus stopped, his eyes flicking up to meet the Servant. He spoke in such a way that gave most men pause. Aratus spoke not with violence, but the threat of it carried behind it, and more importantly- the capability to do it.

"Why."

It was not an argumentative statement- it was a demand. The servant looked taken aback, and knew more than he let on.

"The Duke was unfortunately-" Aratus took a measured step forward after standing up, adjusting his blue cloak, traditional among his people.

"Killed."

Aratus sneered and collected the papers. He had a city to protect, and a friend of the city to avenge. He began to make his way, much to the chagrin of the guards, to where the Duke was supposed to meet him-

The Study.

"Well just like I said, I was walking into the study and then...bam Dead Duke." She of course left out the detail where she had only been walking into the study due to her intent of killing the Duke...but that wasn't really what was being asked anyway.

Who needed that pesky detail?

The Halfling crept forward as she spoke, her crouch keeping her so low that the bushes just to the side was enough to cover her. Within a few moments they were standing by the side of the balcony. "I was just working here temporarily, a small gig."

She shrugged.

"He was sitting in his chair, knife in his chest, blood everywhere." Maecey motioned to the Balcony. "You'll see when we get up there. Place is a mess."

She followed and kept her head down moving as silently as she could trying to stay low and out of any direct light. Cloud had always been better at than herself..

“You’ll be disappointed. Don’t think we’re looking to kill anyone, just taking a look and saving the killing for later, and by then I’ll be gone. Not that I’m one to feel bad about robbing you of your fun.

Kyla said with sneer that turned to a slight smile and blush as she met eyes with Cloud before seeming to remember to look indignant. Cloud had always had her wrapped around her finger.

A fact that bugged Kyla to no end, but in all honest..Cloud had been very kind in a time she had needed it. She had gotten close to her and stolen something she had never thought someone could steal. Her heart. Amalia had had it for a long time.

The way she walked, talked...Kissed..” Kyla had always been the puppet to be posed by her. But that was then, and while she seemed to have been able to put a lot of her awful past behind her and move on...Cloud still had her heart by the strings and they both knew it didn’t matter how angry at Amalia she was for taking it

Last edited:
Amalia pretended to care about the details of this scenario. She was growing tired of conversation and now that the possibility of slaughter hanged in the air she wanted to deliver it. Her nails tapping rhythmically against her thigh as she followed slowly behind the two. The bloodlust was here and making no stops any time soon.

The Cloudburst offered Kyla a warm smile back from behind her mask, but her mind was filled with untethered anger. While they had memories of rescue and romance Amalia could unfortunately not see Kyla as anything but a tool in her schemes. The cryomancer's mind was far too gone to feel any genuine connection with another. Kyla's adoring of Amalia did in fact make her easier to manipulate though. Even if she needed to switch personalities on the fly. This was a good reminder of that.

Amalia hid in the shadows of whatever she could, her dark attire keeping her mostly from the sight of wandering servants. Her eyes would shift to check corners but were mainly focused on Maecey in order to ensure their path did not skew too much. Danger was going to find that Halfling, and she was going to be there when it occurred.

She could hear voices flooding from every direction. Some were frantic and some were trying to quiet the others. The place would be searched head to toe and they would be found if they were not careful.

• Popcorn
Much to the chagrin to the guards, Aratus made his way to the study. The soldier from Thelios had caused quite a stir already, with his appearance and demeanor alone, but now- barging past a scene of a murder, and into it- even.

Priests and Holy men, those who made a living out of being particularly useless to the greater society, and generally everyone Aratus did not like found themselves in one room, lamenting the deceased. Aratus was lamenting that his trip back home would now become infinitely more complicated. Some guards chastised him, asking him politely to leave, in that awful, guttural tone of theirs.

Aratus did not heed any of them, and began to examine the body. The knife, sure enough, was in his chest- buried halfway. Not a straight shot. Knife marks all over his body. Blood splatter from one location. He recreated the scene in his mind. Must have been standing prior to him slumping into the chair. Person was probably a bit shorter, or at least- equal in height. Stabbed him from one location.

Blood splatter was a tell-tale sign of a lot. The fact that there was none in front of the dead Duke meant that whoever did it, stabbed him in the front, and from the looks, slashed him several times. Anger, hate. Not a clean kill. Not a professional.

The Athallian turned his head. Rolling feet. Clinking metal. Someone was coming. Not a guard. Not plates banging against each other. The attempt was made to be stealthy.

He rose to a stand, muscular frame flexing out of anger and frustration.

He wasn't the only one looking for the Duke. Maybe a child coming to check on the goings-on, a curious onlooker, or a gossiping chambermaid. He stormed out of the room, shoving past the gathering onlookers and guards, scanning.

Nothing.

Nothing yet.

Maecey decided that talking was no longer a good idea. These folks seemed to have a prior relationship with one another, and as far as she was concerned that meant they could tend for themselves.

As one kept lookout, the Halfling glanced up the balcony and then towards the gardens. She could hear people there, but without the light of the sun it would be hard to see anyone move. With a quick turn she grasped onto one of the columns of the Balcony itself.

She motioned for the other two to follow, and within just a few moments the Halfling was crawling her way up.

Maecey moved with surprising speed, using small handholds and steps to crawl her way up the column. Before anyone could spot her she grabbed onto the end of the balcony and flipped herself onto the landing.

Of course, that was exactly where she found Aratus Seldomus standing. "Oh fuck."

She swore.

• Wonder
Reactions: Amalia Rosethorn
Kyla pulled herself up as well.

“If we were meant to climb the gods would’ve made me a lemur I hate heights..” Kyla muttered on her way up.

“So halfling this the place or..” she stopped dead and now saw the reason the halfling had as well. A man was standing there.

Her bow was out a ready.

“Just keep calm there and take it easy no shouting.” She said placing the finger drawing the bow to her lips.

“Just passing through looking for some of our own clues.” She said good naturedly. Kyla could be charming and friendly when she needed to. There just never really a time when cutting them down wouldn’t be faster.

In all honesty she had almost drawn the bow and shot the man in the head, but something stopped her.

A feeling that had made most of her ventures now a days a struggle. Guilt. She couldn’t just kill this man because of what he might do. At the very least he had to give her a reason.

“Well. Hurry up. Find whatever your needing.” She snapped at the halfling hoping cloud burst would be up on the balcony by now as well.

Finally, something interesting found its way to them. She heard Maecey swore as she trailed behind her. Kyla had already begun some diffusing, which made Amalia a bit sad as she'd rather have just killed the man and been done with it but she would make sure that he did nothing wrong.

Coming from behind the two she ran a hand across Kyla's shoulder as she walked passed to greet Aratus Seldomus with an extension of her hand and a devil's grin.

"The Cloudburst. Charmed, I'm sure." She tilted her head as she awaited his response. Her eyes locked on his as a warning to not make any sudden movement lest he wanted to be impaled. She called out from behind her in response to Kyla's words;

"Yes, darling, if you could pick the pace up that'd be marvelous. I'm sure we all have things we'd rather be attending to." Her words were soft yet ominous. Her eyes unblinking as they remained fixated on Aratus.

• Yay
Reactions: Aratus Seldomus
Twelve paces.

Three assailants. Armed.

One of them cursed. They weren't supposed to be here.

He examined them physically. Small, lean. But there was a stark contrast to them and himself. He was toned, tanned. He spent his life hardening his body, training relentlessly. He was an apex killer, there were few men like him. But the range of the bow? Could he beat that in the twelve paces he was away from them?

His eyes flicked between them, hands not moving to the sword on his side.

He called it like he saw it.

Assassins, thieves. Come to finish the job, or to complete a different objective. But Aratus was a different beast altogether. He was a man of action, a hardened killer. "The Cloudburst" got the first glare from the Athallian.

"I don't give a shit who you are."

The others got an equally unhappy glare. The one with the bow was next.

"The first shot better kill me if you decide to pull that."

Lastly, the halfling. Even in the tense situation, Aratus was a fulcrum of violence in the room, like a tiger crouching, or a coiled snake. The tension in the air was something to be measured on an alchemist's scale of some kind, but Aratus decided to break the silence again.

"You won't survive the guards, so I suggest you speak quickly."

He spoke so matter-of-factly. It was true, any and all further noise would upset the guards, and Aratus, a diplomat, would be safe from their wrath. But the three gathered, probably were not equipped to handle armor-plated hooligans, angry at their failure to protect their charge. The three would probably not fare well, even if they were captured. So Aratus crossed the room, and sat down in a chair, and leaned forward. He wore shin guards and forearm wraps, marked with the typical markings of an Athallian soldier.

He patiently stared at them, expecting a response, an explanation, and a reason not to give the alarm. Most people that weren't from where he was from operated on a basis of subterfuge and underhanded in their actions and speech. He was used to bluntness, and he would have, for the first time since he journeyed here, an honest answer.

That, and the very light, very very light death threat he held over them, he hoped to get to the bottom of it all.

"Well, I'm a servant you see." Maecey decided she would continue with the lie, mainly because she didn't really want to fight an entire Palace worth of Guards. Plus, there was absolutely no indication that she wasn't telling the truth.

Even her companions weren't aware of her true nature.

"I walked in on the Duke's body." An utter truth. She hadn't killed him. "I was bringing him some food, and...well he was there. Unfortunately, so was someone else and..."

She shrugged. "Everyone thinks I killed him, but I didn't!"

The halfling quickly added, adding some true meekness to her tone.

"I'm just here to try and clear my name." She then looked back at the others. "They offered to help."

Kyla glanced at her.

“Right..” She said putting away her arrows and strapping her bow next to her claymore.

“When she went white seeing you we weren’t sure if you were the one she saw in there with duke. My apologies. But when Lianna here came to us asking for help we couldn’t help but try and see for ourselves if she’s as innocent as she claims.” She gave her a stern look.

“ If she isn’t we can turn her in ourselves, but she’s been a close friend for a long time and I think she may be telling the truth. That being the case I won’t let my little Lianna get strung up by an angry mob with a sham trail if even that.” She said pulling Macey close by the shoulder and rubbing the top of her head in an almost sisterly manner.

The words spit from Aratus' mouth made her want to cut the man down where he stood. She knew she would be better off not getting the whole of the town on the trio's back but she couldn't help her nature. The other two were on top of explanation already meaning she would probably make them sound desperate if she tried to add to it. All she did was change her facial expression. One that repeated his own warning back to him through her eyes.

"Hmph."
She scoffed angrily and turned around to stand behind the other two. She crossed her arms and kept her eyes on him. Snowflakes appearing and disappearing at her finger tips as she tapped at her arm impatiently.

Aratus didn't move from his chair while the three of them spoke, or at the least, made some form of ice magic with their hands. Crossing the room to cut down the one with the bow would be easy, but the halfling and the mage could probably get him in the rush.

Not withstanding if the mage didn't have any other tricks up her sleeve. He pressed his fingertips together, even sitting, emanating the lethality that his people were known for.

"You must think me simple."

He looked between all of them. And a quick glance at the Halfling- his eyes told her that he figured her for a fighter. There were callouses, muscles he could see. Eyes that moved a certain way, the way she stood. The weapons they all had.

"You're either finishing a job- or if I were anyone around here..."

He rose to a stand, lighting another candle in the room. Now that the room was more lit, they could all plainly see the physique of the man before them. Muscled in the way of a refined martial artist, built like the soldier he was. The markings from Thelios were more visible, along with the distinct Athallian sword at his hip. He ran a hand over his neatly, short-cropped hair, turning to the trio.

"You were one of many sent to complete the task."

He returned to his seat, showing no hostile-intent, but carrying that air of lethality with him wherever he went.

"Look, I have no idea what you're talking about." Maecey said the words flatly, deciding that the man couldn't possibly know the truth, or if he did that it didn't really matter.

She was innocent.

The Halfling hadn't killed the Duke, hadn't even been able to try. Whatever accusation someone wanted to throw at her simply wasn't true. Sticking to that story was what mattered, nothing else would really help her now anyway.

"I'm here to find out what happened to the Duke." She stated plainly. "Clear my name and get out of this city."

Mostly because she couldn't get paid anymore. "Do you want to turn us in, or do you want to figure out what the hell happened?"

“Or we could always be bluntly honest that works too..” Kyla said with a shrug.

Glancing at cloud questioningly.

In the end the cloud bursts decisions and actions concerned her more greatly than this halfling. She raised an eye brow clearly looking to her and waiting to see how she proceeded. As subterfuge was out the window perhaps it would be better to abandon this now before it got out of hand. They owed the halfling nothing after all and she hadn’t sparked Kyla as particularly “chummy.” To begin with.

Why exactly had cloud cashed in a favor for this girl?

Aratus was beginning to frustrate the cryomancer. His attitude was not unexpected but that of a personality she couldn't stand. Bummer, considering he was quite the looker. Regardless she grew tired of the games. Maecey didn't give Amalia the entire rundown so she couldn't be sure about what the actual truth was. She knew the halfling was hiding something but it was irrelevant.

She was getting antsy to kill something. Kyla pitched the idea of the truth, which wasn't bad. But if Maecey told her truth it may get messier. They'd have a better opportunity relying on the little that Amalia and Kyla knew.

"Listen." She said coldly. "Neither of us killed the man in here, and we came along to investigate. Our reasons are of absolutely none of your damn concern. The way I see it is you have two options: You can either hear us out and take our word as truth, leading you to the answer like we are all seeking."

She uncrossed her arms. "Or, you could call for the guards and then the mystery will be lost in a bloodbath. So go ahead and pick, muscles."

• Popcorn
Aratus rose to a stand, narrowing his eyes at Cloudburst.

"My people despise most people in these lands. You say 80 words when ten will do."

He crossed his arms as well, his biceps filling out the thin cotton shirt he had over his torso.

"I have no vested interest in the who. The why, is better."

It was apparently true- the people from Thelios really didn't give a shit about much. No wonder the stubborn people have yet to be conquered, or even successfully attacked. If all of them were as callous and arrogant as him, it was easy to see why.

He seemed to be saying 'yes I will help you', in his own special way. But he turned his head to the Cryomancer, after having thought for a moment.

"You're not the brains of this, are you?"

Maecey used the opportunity of the tall folk talking above her head to start to look around.

That was the lucky thing about being a Halfling. Most humans didn't really think of you as and equal. In fact, in nearly every interaction she had with the tall folk they were nearly condescending, as though she were little more than a child.

Originally she'd found the whole thing rather insulting, but by now she'd just gotten used to it and made the best of what she could.

Slowly the Halfling poked around the study, first moving towards the spot of blood on the floor where the Duke had been killed and then studying the marks behind. Her lips thinned, head tilting as she considered the marks.

Knife. She thought to herself, and probably not a very big one.

A quick assassin maybe?

It was hard to tell.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Amalia Rosethorn