Private Tales Never trust the shadows

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
When Fingal had first arrived at their camp he had been a fascinating with unheard stories. He wouldn't have walked through the camp without garnering some attention.

Now he was a ghost, meandering through a group of grieving travellers who would not spare him a second glance. He was on the outside of their mourning. Fingal was forced to consider if he had revealed so much just go get some attention for himself. He probably had.

Someone wordlessly passed him a blanket and offered him a space in the back of a wagon.

"They gone looking for him then?"

"Nah. Why bother anyway? He's not one of us."

Anais would hear the sound of Pollina and Agatha talking as they walked past her.

"Was going to say...he got us into that town in the first place. Might've been best to ask him to go on his way."

"Cannista said he didn't leave a thing. Blanket folded up all neat where he had been."

• Cry
Reactions: Anais
He had been the first thing on her mind when her eyes had forced themselves to open that morning. She had dreamt of wolves, and not of murder or malicious intentions. Emerald eyes matching the wool of the blanket she wore around her shoulders sought him out as she stood on the steps of her wagon, but the voices of her elders caught her attention and cast a shadow across her face.

She felt her heart sink into the pit of her stomach, disappointment pushing down on her shoulders until they slumped and the blanket slipped from them to pool at her feet.

"He was nothing but kind to us." she interjected. "A stranger who owed us nothing and who helped us when all we offered was a seat at our fire and story or two." she frowned with a shake of her head. "Perhaps if he saw fit to leave, he didn't feel as welcomed as he should have." she suggested, snatching up her blanket to storm off toward the trees, though a firm but gentle hand caught her arm.

"We're about to leave, Ana." she looked up at Zachary, and sensing that she was about to protest he cut in again before she could. "We can't stay any longer." he frowned, carefully letting her go.

"We have more important things to worry about than some stranger." he added with a bitter bite to his tone, and guilt stopped her from whatever retort she'd been about to offer.

"Lets go!"

• Yay
Reactions: Fingal
Fingal, in his canine form, enjoyed running at an easy canter down the road. It was unusual for a cwn to enjoy time away from the pack, but he had been a solitary creature for a very long time. It had still been dark when he had slipped from the camp to enjoy the sunset and stretch his legs.

There had been more important work too. He had found the highest point on the road ahead to get a view of the distance. From there he could see nothing ahead, or behind of them, that looked suspicious. Just some single wagons that must had set out particularly early.

As the caravan turned back onto the road, Fingal emerged from the trees and joined them without a word. He must have been watching them, because he joined them exactly where Anais was sitting on the back of a wagon.

He increased his pace to keep up and pulled a small pouch from his belt.

"Good morning!" he said cheerily. He tilted the bag towards her so that she could see the freshly picked blackberries.

• Cheer
Ana's mood was palpable, and so no other attempted to speak to her as they set off. She saw their glances and heard the quiet murmurs of gossip however. She wasn't just angry that Radagan had left without a word, she was angry at them. They had no idea what the 'stranger' had done for them, for her. She was angry at having no choice but to leave without awaiting his return and she was angry at herself for trusting that he would, and for feeling so upset that he might not. Mostly she was angry at herself for feeling so vulnerable without the protection she'd been so grateful for. She hadn't felt unsafe before, and now the paranoia had sparked like a flint in her mind, and there was no dowsing the fear. Until he returned.

Her furrowed brows rose, and her mind raced through a complicated course of emotions, rendering her expression blank for a brief moment of hesitance before the bright smile broke across her features. She reached out to pluck a berry with a shake of her head.

"Good morning.." she answered, ignoring those who rode behind, though she was aware of their exchanging glances. "We thought you'd left us.." she commented, the berry a little sour, but she liked them that way. "I'm glad you managed to catch up."

Ana's lips twisted in amusement, knowing well enough now that he'd have had no trouble at all in 'catching up' to a trundling caravan.

• Yay
Fingal could feel the small ripple running through the caravan. He had no qualms about being the center of attention again. None whatsoever.

"Catch up? I'd say I was waiting. And I would say it would have been quite rude if you'd set off with my still sleeping by the embers of a fire."

Fingal grinned and picked another Berry for himself.

"I would never turn down such hospitality and..."

He lowered his voice before continuing: "...The road ahead looks quite clear. But I do apologise for leaving so early that I caused a fuss."

He wasn't sorry at all. He could send that ripple become a wave and heard a raised voice behind them. Someone was coming to find out what had happened.

• Yay
Ana's cheek dimpled with the smirk she wore. "Hm. I thought as much.." And she had, before she'd doubted herself, and him. Now the relief she felt was unmistakable, as was the way she seemed quite enamoured by him. Such a thing was certainly not lost on Zachary as he caught up, his brow already furrowed.

"We thought you'd gone your own way.." he commented rather dryly.

"He was kindly checking the path ahead." Ana curtly interjected.

"You should probably remain at the next town, we've already had enough trouble and its not safe for--"

"I think he can decide for himself what is--"

"He can probably talk for himself too."

"If Oliver has a problem with him being here then let Oliver say so - but I'm willing to bet all the coin I have that he doesn't." her brow arched and the young man sneered at her.

• Yay
If the young man seemed irked as his unheralded return, her reaction seemed to make things worse.

This amused Fingal a great deal.

He could hardly round on him for his attitude when Anais came to his defence so well.

"Of course I wouldn't want to overstay my welcome," Fingal replied. He aimed a pointed glance at Anais before smiling at the man.

"How about I promise not to leave the group without letting someone know again?" Fingal offered with exaggerated cordiality. "I didn't catch you name?"

Tension made the air a little too thick to breathe and Ana felt her chest tighten. She hated confrontation, especially amongst her own people. It was a rare thing, but Zachary's jealousy and false sense of superiority had been an issue before, and his pride was a fickle thing.

"Zachary - And there's no need for goodbyes, you can just be on your way."

"Oh piss off Zac."

"What did you s--"

"Hard of hearing as well as obnoxious? He is welcome to travel with us for as long as he pleases as you well know." she frowned and looked to those watching on as well, "As you all damned well know. Now wind your bloody necks in and quiet your gossiping!"

Ana's arms folded across her chest as she stared Zachary down, the bitter rage burning in the glare he fixed on her.

"There's room to sit if you'd like to rest your legs, Radagan." she offered. "It's the least we can do for the effort you went to in ensuring the road ahead is safe for us." her brow arched.

• Yay
The joy on Fingal's expression was the first dawn line to cut through the clouds. He made absolutely no attempt to hide the pleasure he derived from seeing Anais unleash her anger.

Fingal almost certainly made more of an effort to conceal it now that others were looking, but his consideration for the feelings of mortals only went so far.

"Zachary," he repeated and the young man stood a little straighter. It wasn't a true name. Even these travellers who felt more of a connection than they realised to the flow of ley lines did not uncover such things. Even a common name held a little power.

"On your way then," he said. There was a little weight behind each word, despite how polite he was. It was the tap of a hammer that drove home the nails of Anais' words. He kicked a tuft of grass and turned his back on them.

Fingal increased his stride, holding up a hand for Anais to help him into the wagon. He sat close beside her to enjoy the view of Zachary slinking away.

She really was far more fascinating that he would have expected. He decided to risk more of her ire himself.

"Well that was impressive. Seems as if you rolled out of the wrong side of your bed to discover that the most interesting person in the camp had left without saying goodbye..."

She might have thought his joy to be quite beautiful were it the time to admire such things, but it wasn't lost on her how much he seemed to be enjoying this. Her expression remained stoic, though in truth her stomach knotted and tightened as Zac was dismissed, and her brows rose in surprise as he offered no further argument.

Her hand felt small and rather redundant in his, but it was requested and she obliged nonetheless. Her mood was blackberry sour as she watched Zachary retreat, her head shaking at his behaviour. No others dared look directly at her for fear of being put to shame for their inhospitable attitudes in the throes of grief.

There was an oh-so-brief spark of something akin to pride at Radagan's praise, but that was quickly followed by a dowsing wave of her own shame and irritation at what he said next. She shot him a glowering look and let out a sharp huff. "You are pushing it." And he was, but he wasn't wrong. Ana couldn't have made that more obvious to him, herself and everyone else if she'd tried. She'd taken a liking to him, and now her people were wary. If anything their standoffishness was her fault for appearing somewhat besotted.

"I don't enjoy this.. Tension. We should make peace when we stop. My people have enough to be upset about right now.." she huffed quietly... "And yes it was rather rude of you." she added with a slight smirk.

• Yay
Their people suffered great loss and you were unable to help, he reminded himself. He had to keep reminding himself because his mind would wander from such hard truths and back to his own wants and needs.

"Then my apologies," he said, in the most conciliatory tone he would manage

She was right about the group. She had a much better sense for the dynamics of the group. He didn't want to be turned away from them.

"I will apologise to Zachary too, though I will mean it far less."

Fingal watched the man take up position at the front of one of the wagons further back in the group. He kept his eyes on the road behind them. Just because it had been clear earlier, did not mean it would be all day.

"Did you manage to sleep well, given everything you were put through?" he asked quietly.

She allowed herself a little smug satisfaction when he apologised and told her it meant something. Perhaps she'd earned a little of his respect, and she'd have been lying to herself if she claimed that hadn't been worth a few terse words amongst her family.

"I did, actually.." she answered, her lips tugging at the brief flash of memory of the dream she'd had. "Dreams of wolves should bring fear to a sleeping mind. Seems it brings comfort to mine." she smiled and dropped her gaze to the ground.

"And you? Did you sleep at all, or were you off saving more damsels in distress?" she grinned.

• Yay
"I did sleep, thank you," he replied. His tone was light and his mannerisms were easy-going. There was a heavy weight still settled across the community, but he was removed from it.

He drew himself back down, trying to think in practical terms. There was a risk of sounded callous and turning Anais away from him. And he was enjoying her company.

"Without making much money in Kattrick are you all going to be able to make do until we reach the city?" he asked. He assumed they were going to follow the road to somewhere larger where they could earn more coin and gather supplies before moving on.

"Oh we always make do. We don't need much, and there are some skilled hunters among us who see to it that we don't go hungry on the road.." she smiled to him with a gentle nudge at his arm. "We're resilient people.. We'll be alright."

"Will you tell me before you decide to leave us?" she asked, picking at a thread in her skirts, her brow quirking. "Or are you likely to disappear without a word?" Her tone was as casually curious as she could make it, but there was the slightest hint of whatever she'd felt when she thought he'd gone.

• Yay
"Of course I would," he said.

Fingal managed to appear to be watching the caravan trailing out behind them, but was instead watching her out of the corner of his eye.

He actually felt a slight pang of remorse. The note of concern wasn't lost on him. He had lived a long life and most of that had been spent manipulating mortals.

"And I truly mean that. I promise that I will tell you before I leave.

"And you seem strong, your people seem strong..." Fingal trailed off.

It was not a commotion coming towards them, but Zachary was heading back towards them with a few older members of the caravan.

"At least they don't look as annoyed as Zachary," Fingal replied. He smirked for a moment before remembering himself and wearing a solemn mask.

She was a little surprised by his sincerity and it showed. She wasn't entirely sure why it mattered so much to her, but it did, and he knew that. She gave a quiet nod in appreciation, but his next comment caused a breathy laugh to tumble from her chest as her head shook and her gaze fell to the ground passing below her feet.

"I feel anything but strong.. Less so, when you leave." she commented. As for the rest of them, they'd been wounded and their anxieties were running high. "I think resilient is a better word.. We'll be alrigh--" she cut herself off and straightened as a few others caught up along with Zachary.

Ana huffed a quiet plea for Radagan to behave, before offering a small smile. "Victor, Agatha.." she nodded.. "Polli... How is Oliver this morning?" she asked, hoping to draw the attention away from her current company.

"He will heal, thank the Gods.." the woman smiled kindly to her and then to Radagan, though she seemed to study him for a moment before her attention returned to Anais.. "He worries for you, though. You know you are like a daughter to him.." she added with another brief glance to the man..

Ana's lips pressed into a thin smile as she had a feeling she knew what they were getting at.

"We all worry for you, Anais. You haven't spoken with us about what happened.. In fact you've barely spoken two words to us since and yet.." she trailed off and glanced to Victor, Zachary's uncle for support.

"What she means to ask, is why you seem to have favoured the company of a stranger over that of your family during one of the most difficult times we have faced in ages." the older man grumbled out. "And we seek to know what exactly his intentions are." his brow lifted, his gaze set on Radagan.

"Oh for goodness sake." Ana rubbed at her face.

• Yay
Fingal took her warning to heart. He smiled politely at the group, though inwardly he enjoyed that they had to increase their pace to follow the wagon. He and Anais, meanwhile, simply sat and looked down at them.

"Right now I merely want to know that Anais is safe and well. She was quite shaken last night and you're all right to check in on here," Fingal replied.

Right now placed a clear bound on the truth he put forwards. They wanted to know if his intentions were honourable. They were not. He had not watched her from the shadows the night before with honourable thoughts. She was more interesting than the other dancing girls in the caravan and she had his attention.

"I have picked up more than a few tips on healing along my travels," he continued before they could provide an argument. "Perhaps at the city I could help procure some tinctures and help avoid the snake oil salesmen and charlatans that plague those places?"

She was glad that he hadn't risen to Victor's tone, and there was little they could say when he was being so polite and generous. Ana simply smiled, a soft thing that asked them not to worry.

"I know you're concerned, but it's needless. I'd rather not talk about yesterday, not yet. I was afraid you'd press the matter, I'm sorry. But I'll heal, we all will. Radagan has been nothing but kind, so I would appreciate if the conspiracies and dubiety could stop." she asked calmly, her gaze shifting to Zachary who stared back at her with a jealous scowl.

"I'll see Oliver when we stop for the night if it'll ease his worries."

• Yay
Fingal was being thoughtful. He was being thoughtful about the feelings of humans, without an immediate goal motivating him to manipulate them.

It was quite a rare occasion for the cwn, one that he would ruminate on later.

They had suffered and some would even look to his door to lay the blame. If it hadn't been for him, they might not have been allowed into the town to try and make some coin in the first place.

Normally his response was to be carefree and charming to keep people on side. That had worked for the first night by the fire. It wouldn't now.

Fingal gave a slow, solemn nod.

"I would not want to overstay my welcome," he said, "but I would help out wherever I can."

• Cthuloo
Victor dipped his chin in a brief nod, sharing a look with the two women and then casting another to his son, but the look he drew over Zachary now was one that made even Anais gnaw on the inside of her cheek. Whatever Zachary's reasons for drawing the three elders to Anais and Radagan were, they seemed to see his jealousy for what it was. It was no secret that he had harboured feelings for her in the past, and perhaps did still, and that Anais had been uninterested. Now, she was paying some stranger far more attention than she ever had him, of course he was pissed off..

"That's generous of you once again, friend." Victor answered gruffly as he turned his gaze back to the man sitting beside Ana with a nod that seemed apologetic. "You're welcome to travel with us for as long as you wish to." he added, his dark gaze shifting to Anais with a gentle warning but she smiled with a nod, their protectiveness bothering her far less than Zachary's jealousy.

"I'm quite alright.." she promised, and they fell back, satisfied that the answers provided were not grounds to have Radagan leave just yet. Zachary's gaze was venomous as he turned away from the pair, muttering about how 'fucking blind' everyone was as he spit on the ground and disappeared from their sight.

"That went well. Obviously they think you some monster here to steal me away..." she smirked.

• Yay
"They won't get to know my secret," he said quietly to her. "And they must have realised I had plenty of opportunity to steal you away last night."

Did Zachary think that she had turned to him in her moment of grief and already given herself over to him? Fingal tried not to make eye contact with the young man as he looked back. He tried to keep his imagination reigned in as well.

"That young man isn't the type to try and do anything drastic now is he?" Fingal asked.

He turned at the back of the wagon, hitching one knee into his chest so he could face her more directly.

• Thoughtful
"I suppose you did.." she answered.. "And yet you did not." she laughed under her breath and she turned to face him, mirroring his position and shrugging her shoulders.

"Honestly, I'm not sure. He was a little... Insistent, with me some months ago. I wounded his pride and his anger got the better of him then so, I'm afraid he's a little unpredictable." she frowned, hugging her knees. "I'm sure Victor will keep an eye on him."

"Thank you.. For being diplomatic.." she said with a nod.

• Yay
"And what a shame that would have been had I arrived to find you warming the bed of such a simpleton," he said.

"Sorry", he added, though he did not look it.

"My culture has some strict views about lying directly. I managed some diplomacy for as long as I could."

Fingal laughed quietly. Sometimes he said things that landed him in trouble, but quite often what he said was carefully considered.

"I think I will keep an eye on him too."

• Smug
Ana let out a quiet laugh under her breath and found herself quite unable to meet his gaze as she felt her skin heat a little. "Ah.. And what business would it be of yours which bed I warm?" she asked, her voice lowered and her eyes glancing across his face before she returned her attention to those behind them with a smirk at his apology.

Her lashes narrowed as she considered his words about culture, and she tucked away that somewhat comforting piece of information, but the laugh threw her off of thinking too much into it and she smiled.

"Hm.. It's always wise to be cautious, I suppose, but I'm not afraid of him. I'm sure some other girl offer him some attention along the way and he'll back off.." she shrugged, leaned forward, and plucked another raspberry with a quick smile.

It was only a short moment later when the caravan was halted and there were voices calling up ahead. Victor and Zac were making their way up front. Ana frowned and stood to lean around the side of her wagon. On one side of them was the valley that cradled the river they followed, on the other was a steep embankment of trees, one of which had apparently fallen onto their path.

Ana swore quietly, her gaze skirting the fauna and foliage that flanked their right side. There had been no quakes or high winds lately, and it wouldn't have been the first time they'd had their path cut off on purpose. The men were on their guard as Victor rallied as many as they could to bring planks and ropes to shift the fallen tree.

"Can you.. Sense anyone?" she asked as she turned back to Radagan.

• Yay
Fingal enjoyed the sound of his own voice as much as he liked keeping secrets. The two aspects of his personality were not complementary.

"Ah what business indeed..." he aired. It didn't quite seem as if he was apologising. It was closer to a question floated. Not rhetorically, but not expecting an answer.

The caravan came to a halt and Fingal stepped down onto the road. He watched the others, but didn't immediately move to help.

"There was no storm last night. I saw at least one wagon coming this way at dawn and yet the tree is still here?"

Given their suspicion, Fingal wasn't keen to take any course of action to make matters any worse. If he rushed off into the woods to look, the others would be certain he was betraying them.

At least, one of them would be.

There was a soft hissing sound. Fingal moved quickly. Very quickly.

Thud

Fingal looked at the crude arrow embedded in the side of the wagon.

"I sensed something," he said to Anais. He took a moment to appraise the arrow.

"Goblins!" he cried out.

Fingal hopped back up into the wagon, seemingly hiding from trouble. He found the small pile of spare wheel spokes he had seen. It was better than nothing and he couldn't carry around iron.

"Keep out of sight unless you have a weapon," he warned.

• Scared