Private Tales Never trust the shadows

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
The gypsy's heart leaped at the sight of Fingal, even in the form of the large white dog she had only glimpsed the night he saved her in the woods. Her tension broke, and tears welled in her eyes as she smiled at him, closing the door behind her before going to kneel before him with a soft laugh in relief.

“I’ve missed you so terribly,” she breathed, shaking her head. A trembling hand reached out to touch his face, fingers gently brushing through the soft, white fur. She felt an overwhelming surge of emotions, not all of them her own. The bond that had been stretched so tightly now felt as though it had been wrapped securely around her, bringing an immediate sense of peace and wholeness.

'You’ll be alright now'..

Anais nodded, his reassurance a soothing balm to her frayed nerves. “I know.."

She knew she couldn’t be without him, not again. The last few days had taken their toll, leaving her visibly drained and weakened. It'd been unbearable, and she quietly wondered if he had felt as terrible as she had. She closed her eyes, leaning her forehead against his, savoring the moment of reunion.

“I can’t do that again." she murmured, her fingers still tangled in his fur.

• Yay
Reactions: Fingal
"You were never meant to in the first place," Fingal replied. "I am sorry for that."

He leaned into Anais. For a few seconds he simply breathed in her scent. It was so familiar, so intrinsically tied to her when he was a hound. He took a degree of satisfaction in how readily she recognised him even in this form.

They were pack animals, but he ran alone. That was rather odd among their kind, except for the black shuck.

His fingers worked through her hair. Fingal risking his human form for just a few moments. There was no warning of the transformation, one moment he just was like this. Both were him. A thumb brushed a tear from her eye.

"Now...there is an abandoned house not far from the road past the city when you move on. If you wait that long you could claim you found me tied to a stake and the owner dead."

"I couldn't come up with a particularly convincing plan for how you might find me in the city. I am, of course, rather more magnificent than the common mutts I've seen around the town."

• Cthuulove
Reactions: Anais
Her senses seemed to attune themselves to him, sharpening, almost. He had a particular scent too, she realised. She could hear his heartbeat, could feel it pulse through her, as though her heart synced with his own, could feel the thrum of energy, of fae magick that seemed to have tied itself around one of her ribs like an invisible thread, and tethered her to him. She could feel him beside her in more ways than simple touch.

Mossy eyes fluttered open as she felt his fingers in her hair, her weary smile spreading into something bright and warm at the sight of his face, as though it hadn't been etched into her mind every second since he'd been forced to part ways with her.

Beautiful. He was beautiful, and her fingers couldn't help but explore the contours of his face as her gaze studied it anew. She listened, nodded, and laughed another tear free as he denied his likeness to common mutts. "Far more magnificent." she agreed, grazing her nose against his and drawing him toward her, taking the kiss she'd been starving for.

• Yay
Reactions: Fingal and Talorgan
Fingal tilted his head into the kiss. It wasn't a fierce thing, not a gesture of fiery passion. Something between a moan and a sigh rose from the back of his throat as she kissed him. It was a reunion.

It might have been foolish to bind her to him. It wasn't something he did lightly. She fascinated him. He lived a slow life, delighting in finding lost things for his master. Anais, he had found for himself.

He broke the kiss and the small room was filled with the sound of the pair breathing.

Fingal kept his nose to hers and met her verdent green gaze. He could feel her exploring the bond.

"We should have been close and I should have been there to guide you through the quickening of this. It will all be alright now."

He laughed quietly.

"We cannot stay here long. You will need to choose another name for me."

A deep sigh dislodged from her chest, tumbling free and taking the last of her tension with it. Her head shook, her eyes diving ever-so-deeply into his. "It's alright.. It doesn't frighten me, I knew you would be here, I just.." hadn't realised that she had been speaking such an oath in saying she was his. But she was his, and regardless of what this bond meant, she wanted him so terribly that she could find not a single speck of regret in her mind. "I want to understand it."

Anais laughed softly, the sound light and filled with affection. She leaned back slightly, her fingers still resting gently on his jaw "Another name, hmm? Let me think..." She gazed into his eyes, her own green ones sparkling with mischief and tenderness.. "I suppose it'd be salt in a few wounds to call you Radagan." she mused. "What about Finn..?" her head tilted, her fingers combing into his hair. "It's either that or biscuit."

• Yay
Fingal leaned back. He brought his hand to his chin and rubbed at his white beard.

"Finn will be better than biscuit," he agreed with a smile. "But do not say my true name by accident in front of your people."

Old travelling troupes like hers tended to believe in old tales. Some of those were old laws that the fey wished the mortals would forget.

Before her gaze he faded into himself as a hound. It was hard to understand the transformation. Her gaze would almost slide off of him and when it returned he was on four legs.

"You have lots of time to understand it. How to draw strength from me. It will never hurt like that again. I promise."

• Cthuulove
'Finn will be better than biscuit'

Ana grinned, though it faltered at his warning and her head shook quickly. "I never have, never will." she promised, her voice steady and filled with conviction. The fact that he trusted her with his true name meant so much to her, it was as precious to her as it was to him.

Her eyes and mind both struggled with the seamless transition as he shifted back, once again the large, white dog with familiar, intelligent eyes.

She nodded at his reassurance and stroked Finn's fur one last time before standing up, her determination clear in her eyes. "Let's go. They'll be looking for me," she said, her voice resolute and her movements significantly stronger than they had been upon her arrival.

• Cthuulove
Fingal gave a sharp nod of his head.

"Oh and don't let anyone put an iron chain on me," he added quickly. He trusted her not to reveal his name. He didn't trust her people not to tie a stray dog.

Then it was the time for silence. In time she would come to learn to communicate using their connection. When it had been the source of such agony it would be wise to let her settle before teaching her to understand and use it.

She was bound to him now. In return she would be able to borrow from his power, would live a longer life.

With his head bowed, he followed her out into the street.

"I'll protect you, just as you protect me." she assured him as they stepped outside.

Her steps felt easier now, her heart and mind settled by the comfort of his presence beside her, though she had to remind herself that she had been, in her elders' eyes, sick and vehemently angry before she had strode into town, and appearances had to be kept up, at least for now.

"Alright. Where is this abandoned home you told me about.." she said quietly, peeking around a corner before crossing the street. Her people would be visiting the market for supplies, perhaps to earn a coin or two, she'd steer clear.

• Yay
Fingal could feel the change in her. They had been bound tightly together. Over time they would have learned to stretch that connection. To make it strong, but flexible.

Instead it had been pulled at far too soon. Now it was frayed, but being together soothed that ache.

He glanced from side to side. The world was less rich in colour through these eyes. He had a hunter's focus. Instead his awareness stretched through scent and sound.

"East, a mile up the road."

When they could communicate complex concepts to one another it would be much easier to tolerate silence as a hound.

Fingal's plan had gone smoothly, and by the time he followed her back to their camp site, most were gathered around the fire, cooking a fat goose, the smell of which made Ana's stomach tighten with hunger. At least, it seemed, she'd be able to stomach food tonight.

She heard her name spoken, Polina having noticed her and alerted the others to her arrival. "Need to stop wandering off like that, Ana." Oliver chided as he stood, looking to one of the younger boys. "Ren, off you go and find Zach and Brendan, let them know she's back safe."

"Sorry, I wandered a little too far." she apologised as she pressed a kiss to her father-figure's cheek, and then to Polina's, who took her face in her hands and looked over her.

"Fever broke then.. You must be hungry." she said, before her gaze fell to the hound.

"Shoo now." the woman waved a hand, but Ana's head shook.

"No, he's staying with me, I found him tied up, his owner dead in his home. He's hungry too."

Victor grunted. "Another mouth to feed."

"Yes, well, we just got rid of one, didn't we?.." Anais cut in sharply and met Victor with a glare. The man sighed and waved a hand at her. "Cut the mutt some meat."

Ana cut a look at Fingal and frowned. "His name is Finn, not the mutt." she corrected, the tension still palpable. Oliver cleared his throat and nodded, wandering to crouch before the dog and extended a hand.

"He's a handsome thing, certainly.." he commented. "Welcome to the family, Finn."

• Devil
Fingal closed his mouth as Oliver approached. He didn't look mangy, nor badly fed. He had to play the part.

He idly wondered if he could still find a way to give Zach a bite while maintaining the visage.

He played up to a nervous disposition, sniffing towards Oliver's hand. He kept his tail between his legs.

They were a community. Despite their hatred of Radagan, he had to remind himself that they meant well. The stern demeaours they had worn to cast him out had been replaced now they were concerned for Anais.

Fingal stood up, letting his tail flick back as he sniffered at the offered hand. It wasn't difficult to stay in this form. It was as much a version of himself as his humanoid shape. Pretending to be a common dog, however, would be a slight challenge.

• Frog Cute