Private Tales Moss & Granite (Caelistis no Elani)

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Mrina smiled, “1,000 years and we haven’t died yet. If the Gods say it is our time, so be it.” Mrina and Marcius would never let young people, like Gihada and Caelistis, die. They both had made peace with their lives – and really, were simply preparing to pass on anyway.

“Tuulu, I’ll remember.” She gave a small nod as she patted the girl’s arms with a small frown at her words. Mrina – nor Marcius, were saviors.

Mrina sat down as the girls sat down at the table to eat.

Caelistis, who had a slight outbreak, looked to the ground in shame as Gihada forbade her from ever speaking such again. Caelistis didn’t want to speak it, she just… Wanted her friend to have a good life, not one on the run with… Caelistis, that couldn’t even find friends with other servants. She sniffed back tears but gave a small nod. “I-I won’t…” She whispered as she carefully began to eat her soup.

Mrina had finished her soup before the others – she had always been in fast eater. She saw it coming – but Marcius commented first, “Mrina! She’s passing out!” Caelistis, who had wrapped an arm around her friend already, panicked as she held onto her. Mrina rushed over to examine Gihada – it didn’t see to be infection. Too much blood, perhaps? “She’ll be fine, Marcius, quit being a bum and help me getter into bed.” Marcius grunted as he stood up and went over, and the three of them carefully carried her to the bed.

Gently placed, they tucked the young, sick woman into the covers. Mrina nibbled a nail as she watched the young girl. “Ye tell me if anything changes, dear. Watch her carefully.”

Caelistis crawled onto the bed beside Gihada and carefully caressed her cheek. She whispered a lullaby that Sir Llyes had sung to them – during that time Ada was gone for a Council meeting. “Just a bump in the road. We’ll be okay,” she whispered repeatedly as her own body began to give in to the overwhelming need for sleep.

Gihada Kierkegarde

• Yay
Reactions: Gihada Kierkegarde
Her body was light, when she fell to unconsciousness. Pity that lightness was not party to her physical frame. Gihada’s body was as limp as her prospects, pale as the moon above.

Gihada slept motionless, breathing without a quiver. Only once did she quake. Her body turned to its’ side, to avoid pressure on her wounds. The morning shone, and it was not till the sun was near at its’ peak that Gihada gave any sign of entering the blissful state of wakefulness.

Muscles stretched and a body lengthened. Gihada groaned as her hair fell across her pale face. She gurgled and stretched her hand out, mumbling servants names from Kierkeborg.
~~
Tuulu spat gristle from his meal into the fire and drank from the creek water where he filled his wineskin. The pyre burned long since to char in the field, his unfortunate brothers’ corpses dealt with in the traditional fashion for soldiers.

Gihada killed. The thought struck him in the heart and twisted. Each kill clumsy, jagged. The ground showed a battle of two desperate women nearly overcome. They were scared.

The hoof prints showed him the amount of speed the girls rushed off and the unfamiliarity of the horses’ rider. He gnawed meat from the bone, tossing his vitriol into the fire.

His bones were cold. The sun would warm him, enough to chase after Lady Gihada & the servant girl. Still… why would she do it? What would cause Gihada to kill for Caelistis? And what, in the end, could cause Tuulu to kill in her name?

Rucksack packed, he shouldered his gear and ran into the plains, after the hoof tracks.

@Caelistis no Elani

• Yay
Reactions: Caelestis no Elani
Caelistis awake right as the sun broke. Yes, she was tired, immensely sore, and in general felt terrible. After 42 years of awaking at the same time, her body had grown into a perpetual habit. Perhaps one day it would break, but with her adrenaline nearly constantly on, she had little choice.

She helped Mrina and Marcius fix breakfast, despite their protests. And when they were finally full Caelistis took, out of the ordinary nap. Marcius fed and made sure the horses were ready to go at a moments time – Caelistis didn’t know it, but Marcius knew that if they were found they would need to leave as soon as possible, not only for their safety but for him and Mrinas.

Mrina had fixed several glass containers of ointment and put it in a satchel so Caelistis could help heal Gihada’s wounds. They were nestled safely in the pack horse.

Finally, with little else to do and the sun reaching it’s peak, Caelistis decided to check in on Gihada. A mumble of servants names, a hand outstretched. Caelistis went and sat on the bed and squeezed her hand, “Gihada? Are you ready to wake? I talked some about trade but… I didn’t want to confirm anything without your approval.”

Gihada Kierkegarde

• Yay
The sunlight broke upon a groaning face. Gihada attempted to rise before her eyes were open.

“Papa... Papa don’t cry out. No... no... TUULU!!” She roared awake, sitting up and immediately the searing pain of her wounds. She gasped, hand clutching her side. “Tuulu? T-Caeli? Where...”

Slumping back against the head of the bed, Gihada wiped her face with her hands and grunted.

“I am awake.” Her mouth was dry as sand. She looked to her friend and held Caelistis’ hand, squeezing tight. “Yes, we will do right by Mrina and Marcius, you were good to wait. Help me up, please. What part of the day is it? Did I sleep too long? How are you? Did you rest?”

Gihada tried to swallow. She pressed one hand on the mattress, the other around Caelistis’ shoulders. “I slept too long... I slept too... sorry my friend.”

@Caelistis no Elani

“It’s me, Caeli, Gihada it’s me,” she said as she tried to stop her friend from sitting up so rapidly – the wounds in her back could rip apart easily, despite the stitching. “Shhh, it’s okay, it’s me.” With her other hand, she grabbed a glass of water that had been left.

“Here, drink, it’ll help,” she whispered. “I think Mrina has some tea. Oh, and there is some morning porridge, but it may be a bit cold.”

Once Gihada had rested again, she shook her head at her next questions. “It’s a bit past noon. No, you slept just enough. Yes, I did, “ she answered in repetition. She put her arms to help Gihada out of bed.

“You’re fine, you needed the rest.”

Mrina peered into the at that moment with a smile, “I have a bowl of porridge for ye on the table, along with some tea. Come, come. Marcius would like to discuss the trade after lunch, er, breakfast.”

Gihada Kierkegarde

• Yay
The water went down her sore throat harder than she’s expected but easier than it could have, if she’d stayed out in the cold. Wounds cleaned, ointment applied and flesh sewn, Gihada was in a much better place than if she’d stayed on the road with Caelistis. And as she leaned against her friend, Gihada knew it. All that mattered was time. Now, she breathed.

Water in her stomach, Gihada went from leaning against Caelistis to embracing her. She hiccuped a sob as her forehead leaned on Caeli’s hair. Just one.

“Never ever be down on yourself again. You mean too much Caeli. We will get to Elbion. We will figure this out.” All she needed was one to pull herself together and become the mask of Kierkegarde’s scion. By the time Mrina came in the room, Gihada was much more herself.

“Thank you, Mrina. I look forward to your oatmeal, cold is fine.” After ablutions, Gihada set down for the meal at the kitchen table. She dove into her food, polite of body but one elbow leaning for pain’s sake. Sipping the tea, Gihada sat comfortably on the rigid wood chair.

“Sir Marcius, I hope you have had a fine morning. My pardons for sleeping so long. What night we trade for your kindness and aid? How far is the port? What sort of cost for passage?”

@Caelistis no Elani

Caelistis fed her poor friend the water, and while she seemed to struggle, she managed to drink it fully. A whole cup of water. She put the cup down once she was done.

Caelistis held her friend carefully, but tightly. "I'm sorry, I won't again. I just... I don't want you to waste your life because of me. You are right, we'll figure this all out... Not now, but in Elbion. Out of Mystmarch." She gave her friend a kiss on her cheek. "Let us go discuss payment and get you a belly full of food."

Caelistis followed behind Gihada, sitting on the chair next to her. Mrina was busy knitting while Marcius was looking at an old looking medallion. He peered at Gihada, with a nod. "Ye fine. I would like some of those pelts, 4 should be fine, the compass, and some of them spices. That's all we ask. Me own compass is broken, you see. I can give you this medallion, too, if ye feel it's an unfair trade." A necklace with the Goddess of Storms, a sort of silver amulet that supposedly brought good luck and favor.

Marcius paused as he thought about the time it would take. "Half a days ride, give or take a couple hours. The cost varies, but ye're looking for... Oh, I'unno, Mrina? 4-8 gold, depending on the storms. Ye likely could trade one of them horses, maybe the pack horse if it's cheap enough."

• Yay
Shaking legs made their way to the table, and Gihada was ginger as she took hold of the spoon and ate her fill in a fast, but tempered fashion. The old couple were sweet, and kind. If only Caeli would be safe in a place like this.

“The Compass? How did you see it?” Compasses were rare things, the magic for their creation an art known only by a few Yamata elves and dwarves with the strange rock used inside. Gihada’s hand went to the leather around her neck. “Sir, if I give you this compass, and take Caelistis to a foreign land I shall have no reckoning of our direction, nor ability to guide toward safe passage. I would sooner give you one of the horses.”

They could ride on one, the other for pack. Gihada calculated how much it would cost her to find another compass, if any would trade by chance at the port. Rare items indeed.

“I can give you gold. Or more furs. We have salt. My armour could fetch a price. Can you take that instead?”

@Caelistis no Elani

• Yay
Marcius watched the girl's reaction to his demands. Mrina, who was behind the girls, was scowling at him for being a mean old man. Marcius sighed as he chugged a mug of ale.

Caelistis shook her head - "I didn't tell him, Gihada, I promise. I only talked about..." She whimpered out, worried that Gihada might think that she had said something to him about something as valuable as the compass. Perhaps she would know she didn't, but Caelistis mind immediately went to the worst. The poor girl was used to the worst, after all.

Marcius immediately spoke, cutting Caeli off. "Shush girl, I saw it." He sighed as he leaned back in his chair. "You're educated, I see. Fine, fine... You can keep the compass." Mrina in the background, "Gods, I told him not to even ask. Crazy old man, I swears one day he's gunna get stabbed."

Marcius leaned forward on the table, "I don't want ye horses, they're branded except for the pack mule. And ye hunters would likely know 'em. "I fixed ye armor, actually," he said as he pointed outside. He sighed as he stroked his beard. "Tell ye what, you give me salt. ALL of ye furs. 1 gold coin. And... If ye ever come back to Mystmarch, bring me some of that Elbion cake? Lasts for days, should be fine. I'm just too old to get there these days, with all me pains."

He extended his hand to her, ready to make the deal.

Gihada Kierkegarde

“You fixed my armour? My thanks.” Gihada watched the man with care, suspicious of his games. She finished her food, taking his hand in a firm shake.

Trying to keep her eyes from narrowing too much, Gihada nodded to the agreement.

“All the furs. The salt. And the coin. And when we return, Elbion cake. It’s a good deal I keep the compass. How would I find my way back to give you the cake if I had no guide?”

The wind smelled of salt as Gihada set saddle blanket and panniers to both sides of the saddles. Her armour fit. It settled on her shoulder, sore from the injuries and stress.

It was welcome. “I always feel better around the horses. They’re honest in everything. Run themselves to death for someone they love, or buck a body off if they don’t.”

She didn’t know who she was talking to, beyond Marcius and the sound of Caelistis in the house. Her wounds burned, but Gihada made ready the horses, until her eyes drifted to the horizon, and her body felt massive as stone.

The day drifted as Gihada’s consciousness fled and returned. Her wounds burned, hot and uncomfortable enough to rouse her from rest.

“Caeli... Caeli, can you smell the water? The sea?” Rousing once more, Gihada flumped back down and rolled on her bed, incapable of seeing the figure of Tuulu approach past the horizon. The horses brayed, a storm rolling in from the bay. “My beautiful Caeli. My best and only friend...”

@Caelistis no Elani

• Yay
Marcius gave a nod. he chuckled at Gihada's joke. Fair point, although he somewhat expected the girl to know a little about telling direction even without a compass. Nonetheless, he could deal without. It wasnt' like he was going far, anyway.

Gihada went off to the horses, only returning to rest more. Caelistis was sitting next to Gihada, carefully wiping her forehead from any sweat with a damp rag. Gihada would heal but time was running out. They didn't have forever - Tuulu was likely a day, at most, away. Caelistis bit her lip hard as she debated on taking advantage of her medical powers to help the wound. It may make it harder for her to run but Gihada was the muscles.

Caelistis wasn't sure what to do - how was she supposed to decide anyway? The soft sound of Gihada's voice, calling out for her. Caeli grabbed her dearest friends hand and softly squeezed, "I'm here, I'm here..."

Marcius blasted through the doors. "Get yer baggings and get the fuck out. Ye Tuulu is almost here. Get up! Go! Go!"

Marcius yelled at the two girls as he slung a bag at the girls. Caelistis naturally helped Gihada up before running to grab any items they would need and then headed towards the horses - assuming Gihada was in tow behind her. They had only minutes to get out - and minutes for Marcius and Mrina to cover up their existence.

Gihada Kierkegarde

Tuulu. She shook her head to clear the webs and wrested herself out of the bed. Get up, her mind called. Hurry or die.
‘I cannot. Tuulu, I am done.’ Gihada sloped on the ground, sword out of reach.
‘Giha. Continue or die. I take no battle easy.’ His sword came down. Gihada rolled and picked up her sword. Her muscles burned. She fought the rest of the battle on her knees.
Tuulu took no battle easy. Slamming into the wall, Gihada grunted and slid to the stable.
“Th… thank you. Say nothing at all. Not a word or die.” The stables, thank the goddess the horses were already saddled.
Gihada lifted Caelistis onto her horse, stumbling to her own. Her back burned. Heat scraped at the stitches and clammed the skin to her fresh bindings. Pulling up to her own saddle, Gihada slung the pack horse’s reins to her saddle horn and walked the horse out of the stable.
“Follow the house’s shadow. Come.” Gihada urged the horses on, pointing them in the direction of the bay. “Ride. We can make it!”
The road was longer than Gihada desired. She ran the horses as fast as she could without falling off, turning back to check on Caelistis. The sun passed in the sky, and the bay port came into sight.
“I see it! Only a little longer!” Make for the docks!”
@Caelistis no Elani

• Yay
Panic gripped Caelistis throat as she was put onto the horse. Not only panic that Tuulu was there, but the fact that she knew that was terrible for the wounds Gihada had. When they were on the ship, she'd use her magic. She had eaten enough to gain some energy now. Perhaps, on the ship when they were safe, she could help more.

The horses ran. They ran faster than they ahd ran before. She glanced back only once to see the old shack still standing before disappearing over the slightest bit of a hill. CAelistis could only pray the old couple that lived there would be okay. One day they would come back, Caelistis promised, to find them and help them if they were in trouble for assisting them.

Caeli thought they'd never reach the docks. Once they made it, she clambered off the horse and nearly fell to her face as she ran over to help Gihada off her horse. "What's the plan, mi'lady? Do we sell the horses? Try to take them? I... We probably don't got long before he's here," she whispered to Gihada. "How are you wounds? I need to work on them when we can rest..."

Gihada Kierkegarde

Pain kept her in the saddle, legs shaking but knees clung to the horse’s rib cage. Gihada rode hard as she could. Her vision shook. She kept only Caelistis in her ear and the bay in sight. Her belly and back were warm, sticky. The horse ran as desired, a tempestuous steed.

Behind them, a form on the horizon. Tuulu gaining ground.

“The horses come with us. If we sold them now we would have nothing in Elbion. We have enough gold. Find... a ship with...” The town spread around them. Gihada took the horses down to a trot and searched the skyline for a tall ship with men in the rigging. Her eyes dimmed, she slumped against the horse’s neck and patted at it.

“Sailors in the rigging. Preparing to sail.” The town slowed them down to a crawl. Gihada stiffened and put her hand against her side.

“I... they’re pulling. I’ll be... I might need you to redress them later. Don’t... tell anyone of my wounds. We won’t be safe.”

On the horizon, a ship held men in the rigging. Gihada turned for it, shaking the dizziness out of her head. As Caelistis helped her off the steed, Gihada kept hold of the reins.

“Thank you, Caeli... help... you can do this. Hope... hope this works.” They ventured through the town, pushing through with the horses, until coming to the ship.

“Captain! I will speak with your Captain. We require passage, ourselves and the horses.” Gihada barked, watching the crew pause. She held her head high.

“Ten gold pieces. Us and three horses.” Gihada held up a bag of coin. The Captain came to the edge of the ship, grimacing at the display and looking to his crew.

“Ten gold pieces for you and the girl, not the horses.”

“Twelve.” Gihada looked to Caelistis for help. “We keep the horses.”

“Yeah, and what about him?” The captain nodded, to the armed man pushing his way behind them.

@Caelistis no Elani

• Yay
Caelistis nodded at Gihada’s wisdom. They had to come, and we may need them in Elbion. That was fair. They did have some gold. Not a lot, but some. Was it enough to get them through? Caelistis had no idea. She had never really even handled a gold coin before the past few weeks.

The port town was busy – much too busy for Caelistis taste, but it wasn’t like she had much of a choice in truth. Elbion would be far busier, tremendous, and… Terrifying, in truth. “I will, I will Gihada. I’ll stay quiet,” she said as she made sure the medical supplies were covered.

Caelistis heart was sinking as the bartering began. It was only moments later that she looked back and saw Rothgar pushing through the crowds. She was going to get killed right in front of all these people. Stabbed, gutted, like an animal. For something she never did. This was not fair…

Panic built up as she looked back to the captain, “Please, sir, please,” she begged as her eyes began to fill with water. This was her last chance at living. If they didn’t let them on… Gihada would be a prisoner on the estate and Caelistis body would likely be dumped into the ocean.

Gihada Kierkegarde

• Yay
Reactions: Michiko Nishanti
“That’s a lot less cargo I carry… and more food than I stocked.” The sea Captain glared at the girls, milling over the idea of three horses on board.

“Which is what the gold is for. I am offering a fair price. Twelve gold coins. I will tend the horses.” Caterwauling noise stole her concentration. People tossed, others shoving. A commotion behind them. “Twelve pieces!! And she can cook!”

@Caelistis no Elani sold it. Her plea struck the Captain’s heart, or the contents of his stomach.

“Well hurry up, then ladies! We leave at three bells, get those horses up here and tarp them before the storms.” The crew went about their work, and Gihada’s face shifted. She eyed Caelistis and out of the corner of her eye, saw the mess of a man pushing through toward the ship. She pulled the reins and walked the horses up the gangplank of the ship, settling them as the war horse reared, when a shipmate got too close. Counting out the coin, Gihada passed it to the captain and shook his hand.

“You look haunted, should have charged you double.” The Captain grimaced, seething between his teeth. Gihada set her jaw and walked back to the horses.

“We made it. We’re going to make it.” Shushing the spooked horse, Gihada set her forehead on the beast’s neck to catch her breath. She reached over and took Caelistis’ hand in hers, her other clinging to the mane of the horse. “We made it to the ship. We are going to Elbion… we keep watching each other. Sleep in shifts… there’s something about that Captain.”

“Capt’n!”

“Feck!” The sounds died out in the mill of the sailors. Finally the lines were tossed and it was time to set sail. The stormcaller stood in wait to part the way. Gihada felt like she could finally breathe.

“The spires, the city. Think of Elbion, Caeli.”

“Elbion, is it?” Two massive masculine hands reached over Caelistis and Gihada’s shoulders. Rothgar heaved, his fur and clothing dripping on the deck. “Not round the cape back to Kierkeborg? Perchance I talk to the Captain, eh? Or we take that coin of yours at Elbion and turn round, eh? EH?”

He shook their shoulders roughly. Gihada bit her lip, face contorting.

“Rothgar… no.”

• Yay
Caelistis held her breath as the captain debated. She nodded her head vigorously at the mention that she could cook. “Yes! I can cook a great meal, even with the simplest of recipes,” she said as she held back the sniffles.

They couldn’t have made it this far and then lose. They just… Couldn’t.

Wait… Did he say hurry up? She glanced to Caelistis with wide eyes. “Thank you, thank you so much,” she whispered as she helped Gihada move the horses up the gangplank and onto the horse. While Gihada counted the coin, Caelistis tried her best to keep the war horses and the pack mule calm. She squeezed Gihada’s hand as she grabbed it. "We may have rest at last," she said almost as if it was a daydream.

Sleep in shifts. She gave a nod. “I need to work on your wounds as soon as possible,” she whispered, “I’ll take the first shift, then?”

Caelistis exhaled as the ship began to set sail. A moment of peace. Finally, she could relax. She wasn’t meant to die, not yet.

But then, a large masculine hand went down over her shoulder. She glanced to Gihada with eyes so wide at the sudden realization. The stress, tension, and now her impending fate broke the dam that held her tears back. Tears streamed down her cheeks as she shook her head, “Please, Rothgar... I didn’t do it,” she said in-between gasps for air.

“Please… Believe me.”

Gihada Kierkegarde

“Four square meals. And the men like their rum. Keep them from too much of it, so it lasts the journey. You can be cook’s mate.” The captain hid the coin in his pouch, nodded Caelistis off to head to the wheel. Gihada undid the latch on one of the saddles and hissed. Her side burned, but she didn’t allow the pain to swim over her.

“Rest at last.” Her smile returned, soft and exhausted. Caelistis’ hand in hers was a bastion of comfort. A soothing cloth against the sweat clamming her features. “You are safe now... I might require your aide my friend... my fr-fr.. if you do not mind the first shift.”

The men wandered about amongst their duties. Smaller ones in the rigging, larger at the lines. Women and men, the crew busied for the storm front ahead, the only way through the Mystmarch tempest.

And Rothgar’s hands clutched at two ladies’ shoulders.

“It is not the nature of a soldier to believe their target.” Rothgar shook them again. Gihada winced and Rothgar got close to Caelistis and Gihada’s ears. “Don’t show pain, Giha, there are plenty of weasels on board this ship. Could be easier enough to toss the maid over... look at your hands. They’re clenched and shaking. Can’t even unlatch a saddle. Goddess and her minions, girl! I taught you better... God feck wipe your tears, you whippet.”

“Kill her and I die, too.” Gihada grit her teeth and clenched her fist in the horse’s mane. Her hand slid to her garments and returned with crimson on her glove. “Caeli is innocent. We have to run. Get her to Elbion, why does Grandmama want him, ask that Rothgar, why does she want the maid? You know Caelistis, she’s fed you enough.”

Rothgar groaned and grabbed Caelistis’ hand, tugging the blonde half-elf close and putting a small cloth bound bundle in her hand. “You might need this, whippet.”

He turned Gihada and Caelistis to face him, muscles in his jaw working to clench and unclench in turn.

“Kierkegarde-Sama didn’t send me... your Papa did. Didn’t have to kill the dodgers, look at you. Bleeding mess the both of you. Throttle you both... but not till Gihada’s healed.”

In the cloth, a Crystal meant to focus healing. @Caelistis no Elani

• Yay
Caelistis nodded eagerly at the captain. “Yes, Captain, no problem at all.” To be fair, could she really keep a much larger man/woman who had eaten enough to be at full strength from getting to the rum? Well, she could try she supposed.

Her soft hand squeezed Gihada’s hand. “I’m going to use my magic on your back. We’re not in a place we have to run anymore, so the cost won’t hurt us,” she said quietly. Magical costs… Small wounds weren’t much, but it could potentially slow Caelistis down. “We’re going to make it…”

Tears streamed from her cheeks as she begged for her life though her body was frozen in fear as he told essentially said he wouldn’t believe her. They shook and Caelistis took a deep breath as Rothgar went into a tirade about Gihada showing weakness. Caelistis obeyed on command as she wiped her cheeks with the inside of her clothed arm.

Crimson on her glove. Caeli saw it despite the commotion. “I’ve healed enough of you, even you Rothgar, why would I do anything?”

Caelistis winced, closing her eyes as she expected to be thrown overboard. Instead, a cloth was placed into her hand and he mentioned she may need it. Her face contorted in shock, concern as she looked to her hand and peeked inside the cloth. A crystal to help focus healing.

And… Papa sent him? Sir Llyr? “He… Does he know I’m innocent?” There was little worse than believing her entire reputation, that he might think of her as less and a monster. He was one of the few who was nice to her. Maybe Rothgar wasn’t here to kill her… No, he was. Sir Llyr wouldn't betray Kierkegarde-Sama. At least, he would let her heal Gihada first. “We just need somewhere where we won’t be seen.”

Gihada Kierkegarde

Rain began to batter the ship. The characteristic storms of the isles making themselves present and known.

Rothgar stopped as a commotion behind them caught his attention. Members of the crew pausing in their work to stare. He grabbed the saddle bags off the horses, slung them over his shoulder and tugged the girls between the horses and under the overhang. The overhang, war steed and wooden wall made an alcove far more private than anything else they were likely to find on board.

“I can care for myself and Caelistis.” Gihada fought against his grasp, boots sliding on the unfamiliarly moist surface of a ship in the rain. She tried to put herself in front of Caelistis, to little avail.

“You can barely stand. What were you thinking, running the horses wounded?” The tracker’s eternal grimace flashed at Caelistis no Elani, and he sighed. “I do not know why Kierkegarde-Sama wants you dead. None of us do, who see the truth of it. All I know is the moment a stranger from the northern shores of the island saw you, he recognized your face. Don’t you see, child? All Sir Llyr would tell me was you were growing every day more like your father and it was enough to terrify Kierkegarde-Sama into a rage. Sir Llyr sent me quietly. I wasn’t in time to intercept you before Dono and his misfit goons.”

His hand let go of her arm roughly. He pushed Gihada back into the alcove, tugging her fur cloak off to spread on the ground beneath her. Flailing his hand toward Gihada, Rothgar turned an about-face to guard their little alcove. He went about unlatching the saddles, leaving the saddle blankets on the horses for comfort in the trip.

“My orders are to follow Gihada’s lead. Since you’re not using your magic to coerce her, it means we venture to Elbion. But you, Caelistis… focus on healing Giha. You and I both know a warrior’s wounds are most lethal in the days after the cut. Sir Llyr gave me the crystal for your use. He said you might be skittish as a hare in springtime. Don’t leave the alcove unless for that brigand Captain’s table. Only takes a few opportunistic crew to change our situation.” Hands stretched above his head and touching the overhang, Rothgar seemed to struggle with his words. Enough conflict coursing through his veins.

“There’s a bounty on your head, girl. 200 gold pieces. A commoner could live their whole lives and leave a sum for their children with that. Enough coin to make even decent folk look at their chances.”

The war horse Gihada rode sniffed down with his mighty head at Caelistis and Gihada. He rustled his mane, stamped at the ground then settled to sit on the planking beside them, warm and protective. A barrier against the rising wind.

“I’ll keep watch.” Rothgar went to the other horses, getting the pack pony situated beside the reclining war horse, while the other steed champed and reared at the sight of the oncoming storm. He shushed it, patting down the horse’s neck and covering the stallion’s eyes with a cloth.

“Caeli… see? Papa knows who you are. My Caelistis. Not some murderous wench.” Gihada’s voice weakened. She gulped in a dry mouth and coughed hoarsely.

• Yay
Rain. Great, rain, rain, rain… She knew the storms were bad and part of the reason the trip was so expensive. Nonetheless, she already was annoyed with it as her hair soaked and stuck to her face. It took Rothgar mere seconds to create a private space for them, and in a surprise twist Caelistis was actually grateful he was with them.

So long as he didn’t, like, throw her overboard in a few minutes, at least.

That gratefulness dropped at his grimace. He was always frightening, scary. Intimidating. It was what made him a great warrior, she supposed. Her face contorted into confusion with some relief. Sir Llyr knew she didn’t do it. And if Rothgar was to be believed, several people didn’t believe she did it. Most of the people called her sweet, kind, even if they avoided her most of the time.

“L-like my father? How does Kierkegarde-Sama know about my father? Someone saw him in me?” Caelistis was left with more questions than answers but it didn’t matter now, anyways, “It matters not, Gihada is our first priority,” she said quietly, clearly confused at the turn of events. Caelistis slipped to her knees beside Gihada as she carefully took her armor and shirt off and turned her onto her stomach.

The stitches had broken out, several pieces of the stitching material sticking out. Caeli grimaced. She would have to remove them before she could heal her. She put her hand in Gihada’s so she could squeeze as Caelistis used her other hand to pull the strings out. Blood was coming out, but at a slow rate at least. They likely just made it in time…

“200 gold pieces?” Caelistis eyes widened at the idea that she was worth that much. “It makes no sense…” Her attention focused on Gihada again as she continued to get the strings out. “Shhh, we’ll talk later.”

It didn’t take long to get the strings out and Caelistis placed the healing crystal above Gihada’s back, where it began to float, slowly rotating. With a small prayer to the Gods, Caelistis took a breath and began to mend what was torn, broken, and damaged.

Gihada Kierkegarde

• Yay
The ruthless tracker and warrior of House Kierkegarde watched the deck of the ship, as preparations were drifting from completion to implementation.

200 gold pieces, for a half-elf, who healed and made fine bread. In the price was Rothgar’s answer. There was more not one person knew but Kierkegarde-sama and Sir Llyr, but Sir Llyr dared not speak.

“Sir Llyr… when we found you and Gihada missing, Kierkegarde-Sama went into a blinding rage. I do not know which of them broke more, Kierkegarde-Sama in her anger, or Sir Llyr’s shout that she stop. None of Kierkeborg had heard Lord Llyr’s voice in decades. Shook the windows in the great hall loose of their moorings. The Castle is all but empty of soldiers, every mercenary on the isles is alerted to your capture. 200 gold pieces for a half-elfling, who bakes bread. It was a hasty number of a desperate creature. No doubt those in the Isle, who have mind to, would be more suspicious for the coins than of you. Kierkegarde-Sama has played her hand… and I fear Giha too young to stand against her. Sir Llyr sent me to buy Giha time, Caeli.” Arms shrugging down from their stretch, the warrior turned round and gazed at Gihada’s writhing injuries with a quirk of his eyebrow, a stone-sad glare at raven black hair and pale skin.

Gihada bit down on her fur, knees pulling to her chest as Caelistis worked on the threads. The warrior unlatched his belt from its’ loops, maneuvering over to kneel and put Gihada’s head on his knee, sliding the doubled-over leather into her mouth.

“If you scream now, you’ll kill the horses. Hush, Giha…” A gnarled warrior’s hand brushing lightly on a young elf’s hair. Gihada writhed and hissed out a gasp, which made the rain tremble. “… Hush now.”

Rothgar descended into throaty tongue clicks usually meant to calm horses. He brushed at her hair, pulling it up away from her neck so Caelistis could work. The magic began to flood her wounds, Gihada shut her eyes and sobbed. Tensions of the past weeks, of their escape and the control of her grandmother washed out of her, the crystal’s healing and Caelistis no Elani ’s propitiation for magic cleansing more than physical scars. The ship bobbed around them, a mill of sailors and cargo braving the god of storms and goddess of the waters.

The many waters.

The rain fell harder, pelting all not under cover as the three and their horses were under cover. Healing took energy from the healer and patient. It was no simple exchange, but a melding and touching of energies, which faded back to their bastions once the task was done.

The water round them was stained with red. Yet, as the healing continued, the tears halted their flow and even the rain seemed to dim. The storm caller did his work, and the ship began to pass through the prohibitive storms. When Gihada’s breathing regulated and her eyes closed under a calm brow, Rothgar let out a tensely held breath. He brushed her hair back, let his thumb drift on her cheek.

“When we get to Elbion, you will ride the pack pony. It is a more fitting horse for a woman of your height and experience… the old couple. They refused to give you up. You are engendering folk to help you, Caelistis, without attempting the feat. The gods do not put help in one’s path unless they deserve it. Hold to that. There are harder days ahead.” He slipped her a handkerchief folded over another small bundle. A honey confection made in the Kierkeborg kitchens.

“Sir Llyr said you would know what this means.” Caelistis’ childhood favourite candy. A present the man would slip her, when he could. An offering to prove to Caelistis where the true Lord of Kierkegarde’s heart laid. "Eat some. Regain your strength."

• Yay
Caelistis’s eyes widened. Sir llyr… He shouted? She had never seen, heard, or otherwise known he could shout. She knew what power the Kierkegarde’s shouts had though. They were powerful, scary things. And Kierkegarde-Sama in a rage was nearly just as frightening. She barely could believe it…

But with how wild the past weeks had been, it wasn’t that surprising was it? Caelistis knew Kierkegarde-Sama hated her with a deep passion. It had been apparent her entire life. It still made no sense to do this, though. Put a bounty on her, frame her, and have the whole island after her for 200 gold coins? She didn’t understand.

Buy Giha time. She gave a small nod as she squeezed her friends hand gently one more time. Then, time is what they shall give. Caelistis stayed quiet as Rothgar stroked Gihada’s hair. Rain continued to pour as the healing crystal began to shine a white-blue light over her back, continuing its rotations.

Caelistis closed her eyes in an attempt to not break down as she worked her hands slowly over Gihada’s wounds. Each wave of her hand, the light slowly stitching the skin back together. It was faster and less painful than if they hadn’t had the crystal, though. Smaller cuts only took seconds. And the larger ones only took minutes. Nonetheless, Caelistis still felt the cost forming along her own back. Not a problem.

Scars, though, Caelistis could not heal and some of these would scar. The ointment provided by Mrina may help the scarring disappear, but only time would tell. The worst wound was closed, healed, a soft pink flesh where the slash occurred. And soon after, the rest were. Healing not only mended the body but also the spirit, which could be felt by both the girls. The crystal continued to hover, rotating. It was rejuvenating her, still.

Caelistis looked over her work on Gihada’s back, tracing the newly formed flesh with her fingers. Ointment would come later, when it wasn’t raining.

Her fur cloak would need to be washed or perhaps thrown away as it was soaked in water and blood.

Caelistis put a hand on Gihada’s cheek. “All done,” she whispered to her friend. She looked to Rothgar and gave a nod. Really, she probably should have been on that one to begin with. The mention of the old couple brought a small smile to Caeli’s lips. But, helping her was dangerous… Rothgar was right, though. The Gods would do not help those who do not deserve it. She gave a small nod as she reached out and took the handkerchief.

The first genuine smile in weeks. For once, a real moment of peace. She held the handkerchief close to her heart.

Her favorite candy. Papa always helped her, even now. “Thank you, Rothgar,” she whispered as she nibbled on the candy as she leaned back against the walling of the ship.

Gihada Kierkegarde

• Yay
Holy and fulfilling, the light of the healing crystal focussed on the two women. A sweet fragrance blessed the air, as if that which was lost was progressing back to the origin point of its’ quest. Back to the moment of wrong, from whence true healing could take place. A similitude of spirit between the two girls was as unmistakeable to the elven warrior who held Gihada on his lap, as the dawn to a sailor on the highest yardarm. He didn’t dare breathe too heavily or shift with the exhausted near-bliss drawing out the poison and vitriol of the two girls’ recent endeavour. Rothgar continued brushing Gihada’s hair through his unclad fingers, gloves doffed to his pack.

The worst of the injury was over. Now the trio had nothing but time. Heaving a heavy rumbling sigh, Rothgar leaned back against the alcove wall, one arm on the war horse, other around Gihada’s shoulders.

“You must be sore. An inexperienced rider pushing the horses as fast as you did... how did you not fall off?” He took a piece of dried meat from his pack and ripped off a chunk, chewing it like a bull his cud. “No one’s made me chase so fast in decades.”

It was meant as a compliment, or at least less of a wound. Truth be, Rothgar felt as many did: Caelistis was a mystery to be wary of, but a quiet joy to encounter. Had a grace to her. A spirit that reminded him of someone long ago, of whom he could not remember clearly.

“Not my gift, thank my Master.” Rothgar grunted, taking Gihada’s bloody fur and replacing it with his own. Tucking it under her body, to create a barrier between the ship deck and the elven Lady. “Here. Give me the bloody garments. Do you have anything clean and dry for yourselves? For now I can rinse them in the salt water, later we can find appropriate washing. Are you cold? If you need to rest, I and the horses can keep a weather eye.”

Gihada quaked and groaned. Her hand patted at the fur around her, reaching until she found Caelistis no Elani and taking hold.

“... brave girls... little whippets.”

Caelistis was tired. Rothgar was not chasing them to kill her. Gihada was healed, at least as much as she could be healed. Papa didn’t believe Kierkegarde-Sama, and many others didn’t, either. She hadn’t expected Rothgar to be a blessing but he did turn out to be such. Caelistis blue eyes kept an eye on Gihada, though.

With a sigh she took the crystal back and wrapped it back in a cloth as she clutched it close to her. They may need this again. In fact, they likely would need it again if Rothgar’s warnings are to be true.

She was healed but Caelistis still worried, weary eyes watching her friends face. Strong, beautiful, and powerful. Gihada was a Princess Warrior. Someone that everyone could look up and say, ‘I wish I was her’. And Rothgar, who was beside them, a true hunter-warrior. Someone who could hunt someone and find them. He was scary, but… She had seen a side of him she hadn’t expected in this moment.

Caelistis gave a small nod. Her entire body hurt. She was hungry, her legs ached, and her back hurt. “The Gods were watching over me,” she whispered. Really, she had no better explanation. She wasn’t sure, either. She finished the honey treat – and savored each taste.

Rothgar replaced the cloak. She nodded and handed all blood-stained garments to him. She shook her head, “I have my dirty dress,” she admitted as she looked towards the pack pony. It was dirty, filled with scratches and dirt. She shook her head, “I’m not cold but… May you? I just… Need a moment to rest,” she said quietly with her eyes nearly pleading.

She frowned as Caelistis reached around the fur for her. Caelistis laid down beside her, careful to not touch the fur cloak that had been placed under Gihada but placed her head next to Gihada's own head. She reached out and grabbed her hand, “I’m here,” and she squeezed – but she did not let the pressure up.

Gihada Kierkegarde