Private Tales More than you know...

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Alexander Vistain

Masked Hermit
Character Biography
Link
It seemed to be a rather average day around the Elbion gates, a stream of merchants and civilians alike were coming in and out of the roads that led into the large city that is Elbion, a reasonable number of guards were posted around the gates as expected, checking and validating those who were entering the city. Alex wasn't quite so sure why so many people were interested in the city, at least from his perspective.

Ever since day one, the city felt like a maze for him and he had trouble trying to find the College even with directions given to him by people who were nice enough to do so, it didn't seem to ease his simple mind at all and while he did eventually find and try to apply for the College, figuring it out despite his problems, he was denied because he wasn't capable of being able to pay for the fees that came along with being a student of the College. He practically had nothing and with his issues, would have no idea on how to even start making money.

Funny thing about that though, Alex is just sitting on the side of the road, mainly on the grass to "sightsee" the amount of people going across the road, to him it wasn't that far off from watching a river flow in one direction. It seems due to his rather questionable appearance, many people have mistaken him for a beggar, a homeless person and some have generously dropped coin to him as they walked by.

Of course, he didn't quite understand why they were giving him money and didn't see anything wrong with his appearance, but he wasn't complaining about free coin, especially since he discovered the hard way that's how he has to pay for food after all. He wasn't exposed to civilisation ever since he was a kid so such simple concepts like that were quite unknown to him.

He planned to wait on the side for a few more minutes before standing up and entering the city himself, hoping to come across something to start making money, or for something fun to happen at least.

An older man walked amid the stream of beings that were bustling along the roads to the city before him, his long cape covering most of his broad frame. His stony face was set in what someone might call boredom, but his steely eyes were keenly surveying the crowds. He enjoyed doing this. It also helped with picking out his next weaknesses and strengths in case anything happened out of the blue. Surprises were always lurking in the future, and Count Sortinous Bael knew that far better than most.

As he neared the city his eyes hopped from person to person across the road until a very peculiar sound of a coin dropping caught his attention, and his eyes turned to find the source. A passerby had just tipped some money to a rather odd character on the side of the road with a sort of bag over his head. Bael furrowed his brow, almost stopping in the traffic to examine this creature. The good Samaritan continued on their way and the elder man approached to take her place. His leather boots flattened out the grass in front of the strange fellow, blue eyes gazing down at him.

"I've seen beggars from just about everywhere," his full but soft voice said. "And in every one I see a different posture than yours..." A slightly wrinkled hand rose from under the cape to stroke his grey beard. "So if you're no beggar, then what are you?"

The pale eyes of Alex had dawned on the old man that walked up to him. He expected him to drop a coin like the others have so far, but instead he came to have a conversation with him. He certainly wasn't wrong about his posture however, Alex wasn't hiding his odd way of watching the people on the road go along as if it entertained him in some way. When he asked who he was and the fact that he's not a beggar, a light chuckle came out of him, almost to a light hearted laugh.

"That explains why people have been giving me coins, huh..." he clearly hadn't realised it on his own before the man pointed it out. He quickly moved on from that though and properly answered him. "I'm a mage! the name's Alexander but I've been told that's too fancy, so people call me Alex just to make it easier. I'm also not in the College, if you were wondering, they denied me." considering the way Alexander is dressed, it would be an easy wager to why he isn't able to join. He also didn't seem that broken up about it either, hinting at a carefree attitude of sorts.

He started to pick up and round all the coins together that were given to him, and placed it in his pockets. He then stood up from the ground and patted himself off to get the dirt off his pants. "Right! should we head into the city? I was just about done watching the road." and with that, Alex started to join along the stream of people walking towards the road into the city, expecting the newcomer to walk along and continue the chat with him.

Bael raised an eyebrow at his new acquaintance, watching him gather his coins and pat off dirt with growing intrigue. A mage who hasn't been accepted into the college, he thought to himself as Alex began walking. Perhaps he's just what I'm looking for. The Count began walking after the boy, easily catching up to him in stride and falling into step beside him. He waited to see if Alex was going to say anything, curious as to what he may inquire or muse, but after a few moments of silence he decided to break it with a question.

"So, Alex, you're a mage who can't get into Elbion's notable school for magic? How disheartening." His voice was laced with a mild but sincere sympathy. He wasn't exactly sure about the situation or this curiosity's personal life, but he decided he would take a guess. "Surely it's not simply due to financial status, is it? I wouldn't think them the sort of administration to turn away someone with talent simply based on a lack of funds."

In truth, whether it was just money or in tandem with a less than desirable skill level was only curiosity. Bael knew he wouldn't be admitted to the areas within the college he desired on his own, not with his family's name in the ditch from the scandalous accusations three decades ago. Even if truth rang within them, it was no right of anyone to annihilate his entire family and ransack his home. He was able to learn of some valuable family artifacts and heirlooms' locations over the course of the last thirty years and some of them were certainly within the vaults of the libraries and keeps inside Elbion College. He needed some way to get inside, and he had just found a possible candidate for his goals. All that remained to be seen was whether his catch today was going to provide enough gain for him to keep around, or if he simply stumbled upon his blade's next feast.

Alex had thought about that too, though he wasn't sure about his own skill compared to others since he's met very few mages in his entire lifetime, much less have any actual reason to fight them on to judge his own skill above their own. He remembered back to his interview and despite his trouble of filling out the application, they seemed to tolerate it when they saw what he looked like under the mask. Alex knew that he wasn't fully human and did learn of his Kavosh blood from a while back, but he never placed any actual value on it and is quite oblivious to the fact it's what gives him the magical prowess he has.

"I think they wanted me as soon as they saw what I looked like under this mask, maybe they liked my pale eyes? I don't know... but they rejected me when I said I couldn't pay for it." He also seemed oblivious to the fact of what being a Kavosh meant, as he always wore that mask most of the time so nobody ever inquired about his origin on it, or much less targeted for it.

They finally reached the gates in a line of sorts that was halted by the guards, each person were individually being dealt with on their business and why they were going in. As the line got cleared up, the voice of the guard would be heard more clearly. "You're good, move on." "This looks to be in order, move on." and eventually both Alex and Bael would be at the front. One of the guards seemed to instantly recognise Alex. "Oh... it's you, you can move on." Alex then moved on forward, but he wouldn't move too far ahead so Bael could catch up once his business with the guard is done.

Pale eyes? Bael stared at his companion, peering into his eyes. A realization came over him, then: he was a Kavosh. He'd read and heard about them, their innate magical power, and how they rarely survived past a really young age. That couldn't be it, though. Such power residing in a common figure like Alex... Surely if it were true he wouldn't be so simple. But maybe that was a ruse, a cover for what he truly was. That would make him the most ideal choice for an inside spy. However, if it wasn't a ruse and he was simply that simple minded then -

"Sir, papers!"

Bael snapped his head up from where his hand cradled it in thought to look at a burly, armored guard with a spear regarding him impatiently with hand held out. "Papers, sir, and statement of purpose."

"Ah, of course," he responded, regaining composure. Reaching into his cape, he produced a scroll of parchment and handed it to the man, who opened it up and began scanning it. "I'm here for a visit to the school. My family donated items and I am simply performing a follow up on the condition and use of these items."

The guard looked over the edge of the scroll at him with scrutiny, and back at the parchment. After a few more long moments, during which Bael's proud posture refused to waver, the guard rolled the scroll and handed it back to him. "Of course. Sorry to have held you up, Count. Please, be on your way."

Count Sortinous Bael took the scroll in his hand and gave a small, proud smirk to the guard. If there was any grunt or glare he didn't bother to notice as he walked to join Alex again. "My apologies," he said. "I don't think I formally introduced myself. I am Count Bael, of house Bael in Praetus, south of the Spine. So, Alex, do you mind if I ask more about you?"

He waited as the man gave his paper towards the guard, a light doubt came into his mind that his papers wouldn't be accepted for some reason but instead, he was wrong and he walked towards Alex afterwards, just to finally hear his name and introduction. He honestly didn't understand a lick of what he mostly said, only that his name is Bael and he's a noble with the mention of a "house" and wouldn't really say much else on the matter, Alex pretending to understand that he knew what the "Spine" is, from the sounds of it which is a place.

Their walk into the city continued, and soon came the question of Alex's story. He seemed a bit hesitant at first, as if he was thinking as to whether or not he should really share much about himself like that... but when he thought back on it, there's not really much to note about his story and how he got up to this point. He didn't seem to have a problem with it.

"I suppose that's okay... I was born in Vel Anir and they trained me when I was a kid on how to use my magic. They trained me more harshly than the other kids because apparently I was special to them, at one point my mother brought me outside of the city in a rush and just told me to run, I did and I lived in the forests and wilderness for the majority of my life, from the people I talked with that I met in the forest, I'm apparently known to some as the "Masked Hermit" because sometimes, I save people from danger, animals and men who are evil. I don't know what the nickname really means, but it is what it is." that was pretty much the sum of his story. He felt like he might've missed a thing or two in his explanation, but that's what he had recollected from the top of his head.

Bael regarded him with attentive detail, studying his posture and the inflection of his words to discern truth from lies. Low and behold, the boy was indeed honest. That certainly put a new perspective on things and all but confirmed that he was a Kavosh in Bael's mind. He wouldn't bring it up, though. Most saw the species as a bad omen, but the Count rarely thought such of any race. If anyone was unlucky it was certainly himself. But the rest of Alex's story rung with suggestions of how strong he truly was, and that was an exciting prospect.

Bael smiled and nodded. "I see. So you're rather experienced with the natural world, and kind at heart. What do you say we get some tea and lunch? My treat." He veered off the road toward one of the restaurants and spoke with a waitress, gaining them a seat outside to enjoy the weather. Gesturing across the small, two-seated table he waited for Alex to sit before he did. Just because he had his dark secrets didn't mean he wasn't a gentleman.

But he always had a reason for everything, and this was so he could call up a little power within to reach into Alex's mind, searching for more answers. It was difficult to discern much from him; his thoughts were calm and straightforward, even his memories barely hung to him as if they were of little to no consequence. How very interesting...

"Order whatever you like," Bael offered as he took his seat. He moved his cape off to the side, revealing his fine but simple tunic and pants as well as the long rapier at his side. He knew he was playing a dangerous game, revealing so much to the boy, but if fifty three years had taught him anything it was that for any sort of agreement or alliance one always had to give up some personal information. And the more detailed and closely guarded it was, the stronger the trust between the two parties. This young man, however, didn't seem the type to go tattling off about him, and he was banking a risk on that like putting a black knight chess piece deep within the opposing white territory. "I'd like to discuss a proposition with you about getting into Elbion College."

It might've been odd that Alex continued to wear his mask most of the time, which is a habit he picked up during his time in the wilderness, there are a few who he saved that ran away at the sight of him when he wasn't wearing the mask, which is why he made a makeshift one of his own. It wasn't exactly the best design but it worked for him pretty well, and he's pretty adapted to the perception that it granted him even though it reduced it overall. He didn't know much about his lineage, only the fact that some people seem to be afraid of his appearance, not knowing that it's because of the bad reputation around a Kavosh's appearance.

He did indeed sit down and the idea of a free meal wasn't one that he would pass up, though he did look around to see if there was anyone else around, it seemed a bit scarce of people but even then, he didn't seem to be with the idea of putting off his mask. The waitress gave an odd look towards Alex but waited patiently as he would give his order, awkwardly standing there for a few seconds until Alex finally got the idea. "Oh... oh! I would like uh... meat and water!" the waitress then gave a crossed brow towards him, "Anything... more specific?" Alex simply shook his head and the waitress didn't know how to go about that, and would walk away once she got both of their orders.

He didn't seem aware of the fact that his mind is being infiltrated, giving the idea he's only trained for more physical magic compared to anything mental, in addition to his simple-mind he clearly didn't offer much resistance to such mental magic. He seemed to light up a bit about that sudden offer towards Bael's end, his eyes suddenly locked onto his. "Really?! I was trying to find some way of getting money, you have an idea?" he did learn about some ways of making money, but they didn't really appeal to him in the sense that putting in hours of work for such small pay didn't appeal to him, even his simple-mindedness was enough for him to see there was no point going for that. He didn't have a solid grasp at currency, but he got the idea at least that the College require huge amounts of money, and he would waste his life away at such a job just barely funding himself for it if he went that route.

Bael turned to the confused waitress after he made his proposition and gave her a soft smile. "How about a steak and assorted vegetables on the side for my friend, here. As for myself, I'd prefer something a bit lighter... Perhaps a poultry based platter? Whatever your chef's finest artwork may be with that in mind is what I'll have, and don't worry over the price." He gently handed the menus to her, but his eyes darted into her as their gazes met. "Though I do know how to spot an unfair bargain when I see one." She quickly gulped and nodded, shuffling her way back inside to put their orders to the kitchen. The food would take long enough to cook for the two at the table to converse for a while without interruptions, just the way he wanted it.

"Yes, I do have an idea," he continued, leaning his elbows on the table and resting his bearded chin upon his folded hands. "Though it will still involve some work. You see, I have need to look into the depths of the library within the halls of Elbion College." His voice was low but articulate, easy with intensity. "There are a number of items that belong to me that I wish to repossess. They were... donated, upon my parent's deaths without my consent. They are my property, and I plan to have them." His posture rose and fell back into his chair, crossing one foot over the other below the table. His voice relaxed as well, into a more casual tone. "But, of course, that's no easy feat to perform, and my family's name isn't the most honorable as it's been in years past. They won't let me into the archives where the valuable pieces are held. And that, my hooded friend, is where you come in." He had reached for his cup of tea during the last sentence and sipped it once he was done, steely eyes locked directly the pale ones across the table from him.

Alex had his curiosity about the old man, but he certainly had his full attention now at the possible idea of him actually signing up with the College, just for what seemed to be going off-track in Alex's eyes, he did indeed listen and seemed to get the idea of what Bael wanted, but he didn't seem to quite catch on that easily. "But... I'm not apart of the College, how would I get them?" oh, how simple-minded. But he continued the conversation anyway, mostly to inquire about the old man. "They won't let you in because of your family? what did you guys do?" he also didn't seem to pick up on the hint that it might be a sensitive topic for Bael.

The Count sighed and lowered his head a bit. This wasn't going to be easy. It seemed as though he would have to guide every step of this plan word by word with Alex, but the sheer fact that he was so simple minded was what made him such an ideal choice. He would suffer through it, for the sake of his family and his revenge.

"You're not part of the college yet, no," he replied patiently. "But all you lack are the funds, yes? I would be willing to supply the entrance fees and any other expenses necessary, in return for your unquestioning cooperation and a vow to never say a word of this to anyone other than myself, including telling the school who is funding your education." He sipped his tea, letting the offer sit Alex's mind for a moment. "As for my family's reputation... I'm not quite ready to talk with you about such delicate matters. You'll have to prove I can trust you first."