Private Tales Money of Clandestine Means

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Inara looked at him with an incredulous look and reached down to grasp his chin and make him look at her.

“Max, I can guarantee you that is not what he meant,” she started. “He meant that he would accept your lies if it meant you were protecting me. He meant that he trusts you so fucking much that your insubordination is allowed. He meant that you are the second most important person in his organization and the third in his life.”
It was Max’s turn to look incredulous. What was the extent of her truth curse? Was she never able to speak any objective falsehood? Or could she be tricked into believing a lie to be true and speak it?

Max found it hard to believe that Marcus had changed so much that Max couldn’t read the man accurately.
But Inara couldn’t lie…

Inara leaned in and kissed him softly. Marcus was a man who left much unsaid. You could read between the lines based on the look on his face and his tone when he spoke. His tone had been one of pride in Max.

She was, of course, right…for the record.

“He gave you permission to kill a Lord in spite of any possible blow back for fucks sake!”
He received the kiss woodenly. He didn’t want to hope or admit that she could be right.
“You really think so?”
A smile tugged at the corner of his lips, if that were true then this was good news indeed.
“Should we kill Clydus? Or leave him in ruin if he doesn’t fall in line?”
He stood from his chair and moved towards her, maneuvering her so she was backed against the desk and he slowly started leaning in with a hand planted on the desk on each side of her.

Since he couldn’t kill something right away, he’d be content with fucking his bosses daughter right after he was just there.

“You really think so?”

“Yes, because he has told me as much,” she said softly. She knew that Marcus thought of Max like a son but she wouldn’t tell him that. That might inflate his ego too much.

“Should we kill Clydus? Or leave him in ruin if he doesn’t fall in line?”

“I think we should see how we are feeling at the time,” Inara said as Max leaned close to her.

“What’s your mind, my dear?” She asked and pulled him by the collar so their lips met.

“Yes, because he has told me as much,” she said softly. She knew that Marcus thought of Max like a son but she wouldn’t tell him that. That might inflate his ego too much.
What did Marcus say about Max behind his back?
A man like Max could only wonder.
“I think we should see how we are feeling at the time,” Inara said as Max leaned close to her.

“What’s your mind, my dear?” She asked and pulled him by the collar so their lips met.
She pulled him into a kiss and he pressed in enthusiastically, devouring her mouth like it was delicious fruit and he was a starving man.

His hands went to her hips, then her skirt as he started pulling it up.
Their lips parted a moment and he replied.
"I've got business on my mind, Inara."
He claimed her lips again and reached behind her, knocking a stack of unfinished paperwork to the floor as he picked her up and sat her on the desk. He once again started hiking up her skirt.

"I've got business on my mind, Inara."

Inara was going to protest him knocking the papers on the floor but she couldn't manage it with his lips on hers and his hands on her now bare thighs.

"Oh? You just knocked out business onto the floor, Max. We should probably clean that up," she said after she pulled away from his kiss.

"Also...my door is not locked..." She said it but she doubted Max gave a fuck right now. He had that look in his eye. He was going to devour her and she was going to love it.

• Devil
Reactions: Max Kouser
The door locked.
Anyone passing by would have only heard muffled voices, perhaps raised at times... More than a few times. But everyone working there was used to the two of them yelling at each other.
None who passed by even suspected what was really happening behind those closed doors...

When the door unlocked again the paperwork was practically all finished and Max was leaving, putting on his overcoat and looking non-the-worse for wear.
"I'll see you tomorrow, Inara."
In reality, he'd be seeing her tonight to collect the weapons he left at her place.
In spite of everything, he felt good, better than he'd felt in a long time. Things were looking up for him and he was confident that it'd keep getting better.

He left the office building and made his way back to his place.
He cleaned himself up again and sat in his chair in front of a cold fireplace to relax a moment while he enjoyed another one of his cigars.

Yes... Things were certainly looking up.

He crushed out his cigar in the ashtray and made his way back to Inara's townhouse.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Inara."

Inara nodded at Max's goodbye knowing full well that she would see him later that evening.

It was only an hour or so before she made her way back to her house. Her first stop was her tub where she took a ridiculously hot and relaxing bath. Her body was sore from their activities the previous night and at the office.

Once she was done bathing and getting dressed, she headed into the kitchen to fix dinner. She had no doubt that Max would be hungry when he arrived there.

Max knocked on the back door he used before, as it seemed more appropriate given the circumstances.
He was still brainstorming possibilities as he waited patiently for the door to open, confirming with a practiced eye that he was not followed.

He had no intention of staying long, he simply needed to collect his equipment and be on his way.
But the smell that came out of the house when the door finally opened was enough to make him reconsider.

"Hey," Inara said after she pulled open the door and moved aside to let Max in.

She did not say anything else to him after he had entered. She simply shut (and locked) the door before returning to the kitchen to finish cooking.

Inara had some fresh bread sitting on the counter and a stew over the fire. She had picked the bread up at the market on the way home since she did not have time to make some herself.

• Popcorn
"Hey."
He repeated in response as he entered.
He went to the table while she went to the kitchen, but the click of the lock in the door instantly put him on guard.

He scanned the room as he collected his weapons and took note of her preparations.
He couldn't help but smile a little.
"What's all this? I didn't know you could cook."

Inara had finished stirring the stew while Max collected his weapons.

"There is a lot you do not know about me, Max," she said with a small smile.

It was true (obviously). There was so much in her past that he didn't know. Marcus didn't even know everything. She was no innocent creature who waltzed into her fathers life. She had lived a life of crime on the street, she had done terrible things to survive...she just was not sure if it would ever be something she shared with her judgey bodyguard and lover.

"Are you staying? I made venison stew."

• Popcorn
Inara had finished stirring the stew while Max collected his weapons.

"There is a lot you do not know about me, Max," she said with a small smile.

It was true (obviously). There was so much in her past that he didn't know. Marcus didn't even know everything. She was no innocent creature who waltzed into her fathers life. She had lived a life of crime on the street, she had done terrible things to survive...she just was not sure if it would ever be something she shared with her judgey bodyguard and lover.

"Are you staying? I made venison stew."
He considered a moment... He wondered how wise it would be after their close call earlier for him to stay and tempt fate again.
Then again, he had more self control than that, if there was any one person in all of Arethil he could trust, it was himself.
"Sure, let's see if it tastes as good as it smells."

He took off his newly armed overcoat and jacket and hung them up by the door.
He walked back to the dining room and joined her in the kitchen.
"Do you need any help in here?"
He offered, rolling up his sleeves.

"Sure, let's see if it tastes as good as it smells."

Inara threw him the look after his little snark.

"Of course it tastes as good as it smells," she said with a huff.

She would end this whole thing right now if he dared to insult her delicious stew.

"Do you need any help in here?"

"You can cut the bread," Inara produced a serrated knife to make cutting the loaf easier. There was just something perfect and delicious about dipping bread in stew.

• Bless
Inara threw him the look after his little snark.

"Of course it tastes as good as it smells," she said with a huff.

She would end this whole thing right now if he dared to insult her delicious stew.
It wasn't snark, he was simply saying, "why not? It smells good, let's taste it and see if they compare."
But apparently she misinterpreted.
"You can cut the bread," Inara produced a serrated knife to make cutting the loaf easier. There was just something perfect and delicious about dipping bread in stew.
He took the knife and immediately went to work, cutting the warm bread into slices.
Cutting into bread was different than cutting into a body, the knife met far less resistance in the terms of muscle and bone.
Bread was much lighter and this bread far fluffier.

In the slums of Elbion he never bothered slicing bread, anything he was able to steal he tore at in chunks, and if he was in the mood he would share it with his band of urchins in the same way.
He wondered how they were doing... If any of them were still alive after he left to join the Syndicate... Maybe some of them survived, he could think of a few that had the drive to pull themselves up out of poverty, but the rest? Maybe they got arrested, or taken in by a temple charity or something...

Max realized he had stopped cutting and started up again, cutting up half of the loaf and setting the rest aside for later, or for him to slice if they wanted more.
It was relatively quick work for someone confident around sharp tools. So he turned back when he was done and asked, "Need anything else?"

Inara leaned against her counter and just watched Max slice the bread. She couldn't help but enjoy watching him doing this especially when his back was to her. She enjoyed the view quite a bit.

She noticed that he stopped slicing at one point and she was about to say something when he started again. There was clearly something on his mind.

"Need anything else?"

"Will you teach me how to fight? Kill? Defend?" Inara asked. She clearly needed it since she was useless. She knew some basics but nothing against actual trained people.

• Popcorn
Inara leaned against her counter and just watched Max slice the bread. She couldn't help but enjoy watching him doing this especially when his back was to her. She enjoyed the view quite a bit.

She noticed that he stopped slicing at one point and she was about to say something when he started again. There was clearly something on his mind.
"Will you teach me how to fight? Kill? Defend?" Inara asked. She clearly needed it since she was useless. She knew some basics but nothing against actual trained people.
He stared at her for a moment, measuring her. He learned from necessity at a young age, and he's seen her fight. She's not good at fighting, but she's not bad either... She could stab a man, but could she actually kill?
He nodded and flipped the knife around and offered her the handle.

"Stab me in the stomach."

"Stab me in the stomach."

Inara stared from Max's face to the knife that he was holding out for her. She had to do it. It was the first step that she needed to do. She needed to try to stab her lover. She knew full well that he would block her easily. She had seen him fight, she knew he was a killer. She was nothing against him but an irritating gnat in the fighting department.

She reached out and gripped the handle of the knife. She looked down at the knife once more then quickly (she thought at least) lunged at Max with the knife aimed at his stomach.

• Smug
Inara stared from Max's face to the knife that he was holding out for her. She had to do it. It was the first step that she needed to do. She needed to try to stab her lover. She knew full well that he would block her easily. She had seen him fight, she knew he was a killer. She was nothing against him but an irritating gnat in the fighting department.

She reached out and gripped the handle of the knife. She looked down at the knife once more then quickly (she thought at least) lunged at Max with the knife aimed at his stomach.
He sidestepped and caught her wrist as it went by.
It was a test, he didn't know if she could do it, but she did. She didn't waver in her aim to allow for her blade to miss if he didn't get out of the way, and she stabbed with enough speed and force to drive it deep... And enough speed that if he wasn't faster, he wouldn't have been able to get out of the way.

She could kill if it came down to it.
She passed the test and he smiled genuinely.

He held her wrist in place for a moment so that she could see what she did. The blade aimed exactly where his stomach was a moment before.
"Good, I don't need to teach you how to kill. Let's eat and we'll talk about teaching you how to fight and how to defend yourself."
He let go of her wrist, still smiling at her with a look of pride like she just pulled off her first successful pickpocket!

It didn't bother him that she was willing to stab him, a quick trip to the temple and he'd be fine. More importantly, she was going to be an excellent student.

"Good, I don't need to teach you how to kill. Let's eat and we'll talk about teaching you how to fight and how to defend yourself."

Inara smiled at Max's smile. She knew it had been a test but she would have done it even if it was not one. It was not that she did not like him or that she wanted to stab him (which she did a lot of the time) but that she needed this. She needed to learn how to fight. She was no longer a simple con woman, she was an Underboss in the Syndicate.

She planted a gentle kiss on his lips and then went to grab two bowls. She ladled the stew into each and then walked over to the table and set them both down.

"Bring the bread,"
she ordered Max before taking a seat in front of one of the bowls.

Inara smiled at Max's smile. She knew it had been a test but she would have done it even if it was not one. It was not that she did not like him or that she wanted to stab him (which she did a lot of the time) but that she needed this. She needed to learn how to fight. She was no longer a simple con woman, she was an Underboss in the Syndicate.

She planted a gentle kiss on his lips and then went to grab two bowls. She ladled the stew into each and then walked over to the table and set them both down.

"Bring the bread," she ordered Max before taking a seat in front of one of the bowls.
Max brought the bread to the table as ordered, the memory of her kiss lingering on his lips as he pulled out the seat for her and scooted it back in before going to take the seat opposite of her at the other bowl.
"It was a good stab. It would do some damage, but it's not the most efficient attack. If you leave the knife in I would have good chances of surviving, if you pull out it leaves a smaller wound and I'll probably survive unless you hit something vital.
You have a better chance with slashing. It opens a wider area and shocks the system, exposing more raw flesh to open air."

He took a piece of bread and dipped it in the savory stew, letting it soak up the juices before taking a bite.
It definitely did taste as good as it smelled, if not a bit better.
"Mm, it doesn't disappoint. You actually are a good cook, Inara."
He took another bite of the bread before picking up the spoon and sipping directly from the bowl.

Who would have guessed that Inara excelled at such a mundane housewife skill.

"It was a good stab. It would do some damage, but it's not the most efficient attack. If you leave the knife in I would have good chances of surviving, if you pull out it leaves a smaller wound and I'll probably survive unless you hit something vital.
You have a better chance with slashing. It opens a wider area and shocks the system, exposing more raw flesh to open air."

Inara listened to Max like he was a famous professor at one of those fancy colleges. Stabbing was less effective than slashing. Noted. Slash good, stab meh but better than nothing.

"But couldn't you get deeper with a stab? What if I tried to slash but couldn't get it and then there is just a tiny scratch?"

She, honestly, had no idea if she made any sense at all.

Inara did not eat until after Max had taken a bite of his. She needed to make sure he liked it.

"Mm, it doesn't disappoint. You actually are a good cook, Inara."

"I told you," she said as she stuck her tongue out at him like a petulant child.

Actually. He was so rude. Next time Max did something cool she would remember to put actually in front of it. Oh you are actually a good murderer, Max. No...that didn't have the same ring.

• Haha
Inara listened to Max like he was a famous professor at one of those fancy colleges. Stabbing was less effective than slashing. Noted. Slash good, stab meh but better than nothing.

"But couldn't you get deeper with a stab? What if I tried to slash but couldn't get it and then there is just a tiny scratch?"
He nodded.
"A stab is situational. You need to be really close to your opponent, and sometimes it even depends on what weapon you're using.
But in general, a stab has to go for internal organs and if you don't know where those are, any hardened fighter could power through it."

He took another bite of soup, ignoring her little jab about her cooking.

"If someone has there adrenaline up, they might not even know that they've been stabbed. Of course, that goes for slashing too. Most people defending themselves against a knife don't notice they've been cut until they calm down. You can use that to your advantage if you know how. It's part of the slow bleeding tactic I used in that guy who kidnapped you, I guarantee you that he didn't notice half of the cuts I gave him till he lost a lot of blood and was forced to calm down."

He dipped his bread again and finished it off before reaching for another slice.
"Stabbing is good for when you're close enough and you want to end a fight before it starts. A stab through the back or through the throat to stop his screaming, or right in the heart from the front. The stomach is generally a good place to stab, it holds a lot of organs that aren't necessarily vital, but you could hardly miss one and it's very painful. Spilling guts is survivable though, so I wouldn't recommend it to kill a determined warrior unless you want to traumatize multiple opponents with your brutality.

"Slashing is better when you can't get close enough to stab. Like I said, it exposes a lot of area to the open air. On a weak opponent the shock itself might kill them, if not it could paralyze the muscle. If you slash across the pectoralis major and minor you could put those muscles into shock and make it difficult for them to breathe.
And of course you want to keep all of these on the torso, a slash or stab on the arm isn't as effective as a slash or stab to the chest unless you know how to target major arteries."

"A stab is situational. You need to be really close to your opponent, and sometimes it even depends on what weapon you're using.
But in general, a stab has to go for internal organs and if you don't know where those are, any hardened fighter could power through it."

Like Max, Inara dipped her bread into her stew too. Soaking bread in any type of stew was the greatest thing and, in her opinion, the best way to eat bread (and stew).

As she ate, she took in what Max was saying and nodded along to demonstrate her understanding of his words. Putting them into practice would be another thing but at least she had the theory.

"If someone has there adrenaline up, they might not even know that they've been stabbed. Of course, that goes for slashing too. Most people defending themselves against a knife don't notice they've been cut until they calm down. You can use that to your advantage if you know how. It's part of the slow bleeding tactic I used in that guy who kidnapped you, I guarantee you that he didn't notice half of the cuts I gave him till he lost a lot of blood and was forced to calm down."

She had noticed the technique but at the time she did not realize what he was doing. It made sense though.

"Stabbing is good for when you're close enough and you want to end a fight before it starts. A stab through the back or through the throat to stop his screaming, or right in the heart from the front. The stomach is generally a good place to stab, it holds a lot of organs that aren't necessarily vital, but you could hardly miss one and it's very painful. Spilling guts is survivable though, so I wouldn't recommend it to kill a determined warrior unless you want to traumatize multiple opponents with your brutality.

"Slashing is better when you can't get close enough to stab. Like I said, it exposes a lot of area to the open air. On a weak opponent the shock itself might kill them, if not it could paralyze the muscle. If you slash across the pectoralis major and minor you could put those muscles into shock and make it difficult for them to breathe.
And of course you want to keep all of these on the torso, a slash or stab on the arm isn't as effective as a slash or stab to the chest unless you know how to target major arteries."

Inara continued to nod at his explanations as she reached for another piece of bread.

"Can I just have you in my pocket at all times to defend my honor?"

She was joking, of course...kinda.

Like Max, Inara dipped her bread into her stew too. Soaking bread in any type of stew was the greatest thing and, in her opinion, the best way to eat bread (and stew).

As she ate, she took in what Max was saying and nodded along to demonstrate her understanding of his words. Putting them into practice would be another thing but at least she had the theory.

She had noticed the technique but at the time she did not realize what he was doing. It made sense though.

Inara continued to nod at his explanations as she reached for another piece of bread.

"Can I just have you in my pocket at all times to defend my honor?"

She was joking, of course...kinda.
He laughed at her joke, taking another bite of soup and bread.
"I can't be around you all the time. You want to know how to fight so that you don't die when you do something stupid and I'm not there. You're lucky that they decided to torture you first, they could have just as easily slit your throat right there on the street."
He snapped his fingers.
"Boom, dead. Just like that. And I'd be lying and making excuses to Marcus as to why it wasn't my fault just to save my own skin."

"I can't be around you all the time. You want to know how to fight so that you don't die when you do something stupid and I'm not there. You're lucky that they decided to torture you first, they could have just as easily slit your throat right there on the street."
He snapped his fingers.
"Boom, dead. Just like that. And I'd be lying and making excuses to Marcus as to why it wasn't my fault just to save my own skin."

Inara flinched at his snap. He was right. She had been stupid and reckless. She was lucky and she was more lucky that he had come to find her. She hated that she owed him though. She never liked having a debt like that.

“You wouldn’t have had a chance to lie or make excuses. He would’ve killed your and asked questions never.”

There was no lie or hint of joking in her tone. They both knew how her father would have dealt with the issue of her dying on his watch.

“I’m sorry I ran away like a child,” she said quietly as she bit into another bite of bread.

Max Kouser

Inara flinched at his snap. He was right. She had been stupid and reckless. She was lucky and she was more lucky that he had come to find her. She hated that she owed him though. She never liked having a debt like that.

“You wouldn’t have had a chance to lie or make excuses. He would’ve killed you and asked questions never.”

There was no lie or hint of joking in her tone. They both knew how her father would have dealt with the issue of her dying on his watch.

“I’m sorry I ran away like a child,” she said quietly as she bit into another bite of bread.
He waved off her apology.
"It's behind us now, I'm over it. I've fucked my frustrations out on you. I'm simply educating you on the frail thread that is mortality. There's nothing else you could have done with the level of skill you have, you were lucky. Don't rely on luck next time."

He slurped up the last dregs of soup in his bowl.
"Are you ready for seconds?"
He picked up his bowl and stood up, but waited to see if she wanted more.