Private Tales Money of Clandestine Means

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
"I'll go find someone we can trust to heal us up."
He turned to the door and stopped, "You already owe me, Inara. This is twice in one day that I've saved your life."

"I love owing people..." Inara grumbled.

She owed Tal and she owed Max. Perhaps jumping off a cliff would be a good idea after all.

Max reappeared after a few minutes and she had already started to remove the bandaging from her thigh to check on the wound.

"There is a bath through that door," she pointed to a door behind her, "if you want to get cleaned up. I promise not to come look at you while you are naked..."

Her voice was deadpan. She had already seen him mostly naked much to her chagrin.

• Sip
Reactions: Max Kouser
"I've sent for a priest from the temple of the Celestials. They are non-biased healers and masters of their craft, I am certain that they won't ask too many questions."

"There is a bath through that door," she pointed to a door behind her, "if you want to get cleaned up. I promise not to come look at you while you are naked..."
He nodded and looked at the door, then back at her for her last comment.
"Why did that bother you so much, Inara?"
He removed his bloody coat and jacket, hanging them by the door. He took off his belt and started laying his knives along the table.

"Why did that bother you so much, Inara?"

Inara froze at his question. Honestly, it had been something she had asked herself at least a hundred times since she had slammed that door shut.

"I..." She trailed off and followed his moments as he laid the knives on her table.

She really hated the inability to lie right now and that was all she wanted to do. Inara did not want to tell him the truth and she could not just say I don't know because she did know.

He just had to ask that question.

"I was bothered because..." She paused again and tried to make her mouth say something else but she just winced in pain. "Because I wanted it to be me..."

She closed her eyes like a child trying to hide like if she couldn't see him, he couldn't see her.

• Bless
"I was bothered because..." She paused again and tried to make her mouth say something else but she just winced in pain. "Because I wanted it to be me..."
He would have laughed it off at the obvious joke... But he saw the wince of pain, she really tried to lie... She couldn't lie.

"You can't be serious."
He didn't address that to her but he said it aloud, almost accusingly at the fates that seemed to decide their lives paths at a whim.

He strode over to the couch and slammed a fist on each side of her, leaning over her to look her dead in the eyes.
"You mean to tell me that you nearly got yourself killed, and me by extension, because you were fucking jealous?!"
His expression was one of anger... How could he express anything else?
This woman, manipulated by Tal, stole his job right from under him because she's related to Marcus and Tal had a clever blackmail scheme. Sure he couldn't exactly hate her for that anymore, but she was a bitch regardless... But... Hate? At this point he just hated her as a default... It was their chemistry.

"So, what? You come into the room and see me balls deep in another woman and just decided, "Welp, my life is over now. Time to get us both killed."?!
What the actual fuck Inara!? You are an incompetent fucking idiot and by this point I don't see how you could fucking deny it!!"

He shouted at her, leaning into his anger because the alternative scared him... And he couldn't entirely hide it either as a tear rolled down his cheek...

He stopped suddenly and straightened, an expression of shock on his face as he touched his cheek and his fingers came back wet.
He looked at her as his anger started to crumble...
"What in the thirteen hells, Inara... I hate you, I've hated you since we met... You've hated me just as long..."

• Stressed
Reactions: Inara Irren
"You mean to tell me that you nearly got yourself killed, and me by extension, because you were fucking jealous?!"

Inara flinched as he slammed his fists down onto the couch. She was frozen in fear as he leaned over her and their eyes met. She saw pure anger in them and she couldn't help but hold her breath.

She didn't answer him. She didn't move. She didn't have to...he knew the answer.

"So, what? You come into the room and see me balls deep in another woman and just decided, "Welp, my life is over now. Time to get us both killed."?!
What the actual fuck Inara!? You are an incompetent fucking idiot and by this point I don't see how you could fucking deny it!!"

A tear ran down her own cheek. She had not cried at all today but Max yelling at her made that happen.

Inara still didn't say anything. She couldn't. Her throat was dry. She couldn't say anything.

"What in the thirteen hells, Inara... I hate you, I've hated you since we met... You've hated me just as long..."

Inara finally nodded. The words of agreement didn't come though because she couldn't lie.

She had more tears falling from her eyes now and she was as shocked at Max's tears as he was.

• Cry
He saw her floundering, he couldn't tell if she were trying to speak or trying to lie because those expressions looked pretty similar.
He couldn't stop the tears but he could keep being angry for a little longer.

He paced the room for a moment before slamming his fist bare knuckled into the table, the pain helped and one couldn't tell his blood from the rest on his hands.
"gods damn it, Inara! What the hell happened?! I've done nothing to make you like me, I damn well know I've made it clear I don't give a damn about you!"
Then why did he actually give a damn about her?

He paced the room once more before he again put his hands on either side of her and came close again.
"Say something, Inara... Anything, tell me the truth... Tell me why you cared so much when I fucked another woman?"

"gods damn it, Inara! What the hell happened?! I've done nothing to make you like me, I damn well know I've made it clear I don't give a damn about you!"

Inara looked down at her lap as he continued to yell at her. She could not tell if he was more upset or more confused but it didn't matter. He was right. He had always treated her like shit.

Except when he hadn't. Except when he had cared. Sure it was so her father wouldn't kill him but still.

"Say something, Inara... Anything, tell me the truth... Tell me why you cared so much when I fucked another woman?"

She rose one hand to wipe the tears from her eyes before looking up at him again. The space between them was so small and he was demanding answers. Answers that she did not want to give.

"Please..." She spoke so quietly. She didn't want to say it. "Please don't make me say it..."

Another tear spilled from her eye but he hadn't moved away. He wanted her to say it.

"I cared because I was jealous. I care about you."

Inara looked away from him and down at her lap. She couldn't look at him. She would do something stupid.

"I cared because I was jealous. I care about you."
"Fuck..."
His voice was a whisper.
He bowed his head as she did.
Her words and the fact that he knew they were true... He felt something shift in his chest... Like his heart just leapt in his chest.

"Damn it all..."
He whispered.
"I am about to fuck the bosses daughter... Aren't I?"
Half to himself, half to her.
He looked up at her and tilted her chin up with one hand so she could look at him.
He kissed her full on the lips for a whole twenty seconds, then moved away to judge her reaction.

"Fuck..."

Inara echoed that sentiment in her head. Fuck fuck fuck fuck.

"Damn it all..."

She looked up at those words. Confusion etched on her face. She did not have time to think on it before his next words came out.

"I am about to fuck the bosses daughter... Aren't I?"

Inara barked out a laugh. Absolutely not. He had been balls deep in a prostitute not two hours earlier. She needed that mental image to leave her head first.

Again, she had zero time to voice her answer or give it much more thought.

Max's lips were on hers and she leaned into the kiss even though it hurt. She made a small sound of protest as he pulled away.

"Does this mean you don't really hate me?" Inara asked shyly.

"Does this mean you don't really hate me?" Inara asked shyly.
His voice was breathy, heavy as he spoke.
"I don't know."
He said simply.
He couldn't think about that right now.
She hadn't pushed him away.

The next moment he was crushing his lips against hers, leaning against her and bringing her down to lay on the couch with him on top of her, heedless of her injuries in the heat of the moment.
His hands found her wrists and he pinned them both above her head as he kissed her roughly.

Her body protested him being on top of her but she didn’t say anything. She was too caught up in the moment, in his kiss, to care that much.

She smiled when her moved her hands above her head and fully gave herself to his rough kiss.

Inara didn’t want him to stop even as the wise part of her brain reminded her that she needed to be healed and they were both covered in blood.

“Max…” She said as she pulled away from the kiss. “The healer will be here soon…”

She was surprisingly pliable, giving in easily to his advances and he only felt the need to take it further.

“Max…” She said as she pulled away from the kiss. “The healer will be here soon…”
He looked at her uncomprehending at first, then realization dawned on him.
"Oh shit, Inara. Are you alright? Did I hurt you?"
He hurriedly released her and climbed off of her, mindful now of her leg and ribs.
He knelt beside her, checking her wound to make sure he hadn't made it worse.

Almost as if on que, there came three knocks and a thump on the door.

It was getting late, the sun was setting and Sarah had begun her evening prayers and devotional.
She was on her way to a room of prayer, bearing incense to burn when she noticed a young man speaking with a brother in the reception hall.

She paused a moment and she overheard the brother telling the boy that there were no healers making house calls at this hour.
Naturally her heart went out to the boy and she approached the pair.
"What seems to be the matter, brother Caden?"

The brother turned to her, "No need to concern yourself, sister Sarah. Just some minor healing, someone else will deal with it..."
The boy turned to the lady and she recognized him... She had once treated him for a broken leg.
"Milady, my boss an... An his boss got hurt bad in the slums. They need healing quick!"

The brother pulled the boy back, "Go on, sister. It's not worthy of your gifts. It will be handled."
Sarah placed a gentle hand on brother Caden's shoulder.
"All are worthy of the love of Astra. It is as you said, no other healers are available at this hour, I shall go and see what healing I can give to his employers."
She looked at the boy and smiled at him.
"I will grab my shawl and we shall go."

Before long they were in the back alley and the boy was knocking on the door.

"Oh shit, Inara. Are you alright? Did I hurt you?"

Max seemed to come back to his senses and he kneeled beside her to look her over.

“I’m fine, Max, really. Am I stuck with overprotective bodyguard now?” Inara laughed and leaned over with a wince to kiss him softly on the lips.

She just smiled and closed her eyes at the pleasant touch but the moment was soon interrupted by a knock.

“Get the door.”

“I’m fine, Max, really. Am I stuck with overprotective bodyguard now?”
He met her kiss, but his concern didn't abate. She was stabbed in the thigh, it could have nicked an artery, her ribs were broken, it could puncture a lung.
He checked her over thoroughly to make sure he didn't make things worse.

“Get the door.”
Max rose and went to the door opening it to allow the priest... No, priestess, into Inara's townhouse.
He looked at the boy.
"Got lucky, boss. The miracle priestess was on hand!"
He hid his shock behind a swiftly constructed mask and tipped the boy a gold piece before shutting the door.

"Thank you so much for coming out on such short notice. We were assaulted in the slums, and unfortunately the lady received the worst of it."
He stood back while the priestess came in and got set up.
He watched Inara closely. He wasn't sure how long she'd been in Alliria, but he hoped she was at least familiar with the reputation of the woman under her roof.

In a city were it was practically expected to find corruption on every level, this priestess alone stood out like a beacon of light even amongst the greatest high priests of any other religion.

Sarah nodded kindly to the man as he welcomed her.
She removed her shawl and looked over them both.
The man had more blood on him but seemed in far better shape than the woman on the couch.
"I see. I will examine each of your wounds and proceed accordingly."
She went to Inara first.
"I am sister Sarah, priestess of Astra. By her grace I am sure you will be healed."
She knelt down and began examining Inara's wounds.

When Max had said priestess, she was not expecting this priestess. Inara was not really sure how to react so she threw a look at Max that said do you know everyone in this gods damned city.

"I am sister Sarah, priestess of Astra. By her grace I am sure you will be healed."

Inara nodded as her body became subjected to prodding once again. She really needed to stop making a habit of getting hurt.

“Thank you,” she said softly to the priestess even as her eyes wandered to Max

At least she knew he wouldn’t fuck this one.

Sarah examined her wounds. They were bad, but not the worst she's ever seen.
"Plenty of bruising, a leg wound and some fractured ribs."
She gave Inara a reassuring smile.
"The light of Astra will cure these wounds with ease, my lady. You won't find even a scar from your recent ordeal."
She didn't comment on the fact that these injuries seemed to have been afflicted by torture, not by an expert as she could determine, but someone in a hurry.
The stab to her leg was not typical of a master of inflicting pain. More like a brutal interrogation.

She has seen the results of the dark heart of this city, the evils committed on others. That's why she has made it her mission to bring the true light of Astra to these people.
"I am going to heal you now. You will feel warmth that will grow to an uncomfortable heat in the cut, it is merely your flesh knitting together and infection being eradicated. You will feel your bruises ease and your bones set themselves. Your bones will be the most painful but stay firm, Astra will bring you relief."
She placed both of her hands on Inara's chest over her heart.

She closed her eyes and began to pray.
"Oh Astra, our great and powerful creator. You have crafted us for your purpose, you know all of our hidden workings. By your light and grace, through this humble vessel, let your healing light take these maladies and bless your child anew."
White light formed under Sarah's hands and grew in intensity.
The light then went from her hands and into Inara's body, traveling to each injury point and brining healing and warmth to her body.

As soon as Inara's wounds were healed Sarah went to where Max stood.
She examined his arm, the only injury Max received from the kidnapper.
She repeated the prayer and healed him as well.
"There. Astra has seen fit to bring healing to you both. It is my prayer that you will use this gift of good health as a valuable thing not to be wasted."
She curtsied to them both and collected her shawl.
"If there is nothing else, I wish you both good night, and may Astra guide and protect you both."
Before she went out the door she stopped and turned back.
"I do have a question... Astra has revealed to me that you have been healed recently. May I ask who performed that service?"

After Sarah healed them Max thanked her and opened the door for her.
Then her question came out of the blue.
"Yes... We were healed by a woman named Eilerias, a priestess at a temple of Sol'Nityr."
It was an odd question but he didn't see the harm in telling her.

She thanked him for the information and left, the boy guiding her back to the temple.

Max turned back to Inara after the door shut and went to her side again, checking over her wounds.
"She did a good job."
He looked up at her, his face told her that he was still very conflicted about her.
"You can bathe first... If you'd like."

The healing of her ribs wasn’t pleasant but she endured it. It obviously felt better than weeks of pain while they healed on their own.

Inara thanked Sarah and then closed her eyes to relax while she healed Max.

"She did a good job."
He looked up at her, his face told her that he was still very conflicted about her.
"You can bathe first... If you'd like."

She was half asleep out of pure exhaustion when Max started to examine her. She opened her eyes and smiled tiredly at him.

“Sure,” she said and sat up from her lounging position. “I may fall asleep in there though,” she added as she stood and started to peel off her bloody clothes as she walked to get the bath ready for herself.

• Popcorn
The smile caught him off guard and he didn't know how he felt about it... Damn this woman and her surprises!

“Sure,” she said and sat up from her lounging position. “I may fall asleep in there though,”
He smirked, "I said I wouldn't leave you alone even to bathe, I suppose I shall make good on that promise"
He stood and followed her into the room to help prepare the bath.
"Can't have you drowning after being healed for the second time in one day."

He stood behind her as she stripped out of her bloody clothes, he appreciated the view very much, without the decency to look away. He collected the articles of clothing from the floor.
Their clothes will have to be burned so that the maids didn't discover them in the hamper.
So he tossed them immediately into the fire used to heat the water for the bath.
He took off his own clothes down to his trousers and did the same, before his trousers too joined his clothes in the flames.

He then turned and drew the water for her once it was hot.
"Your bath, miss Inara."
He smirked, even naked he looked like a bloody mess... Only, most of the blood on him came from their enemies and served as a reminder of such.

"I said I wouldn't leave you alone even to bathe, I suppose I shall make good on that promise"
He stood and followed her into the room to help prepare the bath.
"Can't have you drowning after being healed for the second time in one day."

"Mmmmm," she responded with a skeptical tone.

Max took her clothes and then his to the fire. Inara did not protest the destruction of her already destroyed outfit and she also did not protest that strong naked body that she was now taking in.

Fuuuuccckkkk was all she could think as she watched him draw her the bath. Her attention was torn away from his very nice ass when he spoke again.

"Your bath, miss Inara."

Her eyes traveled up to his face once more before she stepped past him and stepped into her tub.

Inara lowered herself down into the hot water with a pleasurable sigh as she felt herself already relaxing.

"Thank you for saving me, Max..."

She climbed into the bath and he watched like a wolf watching his prey.
He was not flaccid at the sight either, but he made no move or comment on it.
"Thank you for saving me, Max..."
"Which time?"
The words came out before he could stop them, the snide remark a habit at this point.
He turned his back on her and went to a wash basin to at least clean the blood off of his hands.

He killed several men today, several. And he's killed many more over the course of his life.
But looking at his hands they didn't tremble in the slightest for taking so many lives in one day.
Such a thing indicated to him that he probably stopped being human quite some time ago... What kind of man truly enjoyed the act of killing and felt nothing afterwards?

He'd killed and fucked in one day and there wasn't a hint of regret in his mind. Those were in the past, he was ready to fuck again without a care in the world for what happened earlier.

"Which time?"

Inara threw him a glare. She would not give him the satisfaction of more clarification. He knew. He was just being an ass.

Mmmmm ass, she bit her bottom lip as she watched Max wash his hands.

She tore her gaze away in order to scrub her body clean of the dried blood because she wanted to leave him with some at least warm water. She was not that cruel to make him take a cold bath.

Once she was done, Inara stood from the tub and reached for one of her towels. She wrapped it around herself and turned to watch Max as he took his turn.

She rose from the bath and he could finally see everything he was dealing with unmarred by filth.
His member stood a little more erect as she stepped out of the water and wrapped herself in a towel.

His eyes lingered on her face as he walked past her and stepped into the bath.
Thankfully it was still hot and he sank into the water up to his chest, the tub was short though so his knees came up out of the water every time he sank down to wash his head and shoulders.

Except when he ducked under the water, he didn't take his eyes off of her.

The water was cloudy with gore when he finally stepped out and grabbed a towel for himself, drying his hair and then wrapping it around his waist to poorly conceal his package.

He smiled at Inara, not unkindly but not in a way that suggested pure intentions.
"I hope you're not too tired, Inara. I've killed so much today and that kind of work builds up and appetite."