Quest Mirrors in The Ice[Open To Northmen/Nordenfiir]

Organization specific roleplay for governments, guilds, adventure groups, or anything similar
Talus did indeed move closer to the fire.

His hands unfurled, open palms facing the flame as he slowly turned his head to look all around the inside of the house.

He had never quite seen something like this before. The structure itself was solidly built, but the decorations were all together knew to him. More than that, it was far more...open, than any of the homes he'd ventured into back in Vel Anir.

It reminded him almost of a feasting hall. "Your home is...uhh...very nice."

Was that insulting to say?

Culturually Talus was so out of his depth that he might as well have been standing in the middle of Fal'Addas trying to talk to Elves.

As he sat there is stomach started to growl, audibly so.

• Dab
Reactions: Mikaela Ryurik
They were handed dried elk meat, warm broth from fish and bones, and some chunks of bread. Mika was quite grateful for the food, but her eyes were still curiously eyeing the part of the house were the noise was coming from. Cubs playing reminded her of her own time before the travels. It also had her wonder how many cubs there were in the village. Usually a couple of adults took care of the bunch, taught them the necessary things to survive, and perhaps added some knowledge on top of it, depending on who was your teacher. Or how curious the cubs were.

“Yes, it is,” she supported Talus, smiling. “thank you for having us. We crossed the forest, it took a while. I heard there were silver foxes around that area, but no such luck.” For now.

When she mentioned the silver foxes the man grinned. Either he knew it to be a rumor and only that or her knew more about it than he let on. There were no comments about it, however. Nordenfiir could be very quiet whenever around strangers and faced with difficult situations. Feasting, well, they could do that quite easily as well. The last bit remembered her of the Queen’s return to the city and the conversation they’ve had back then. Figuring she might make use of her time here, Mika bit into the meat and after chewing on it thoughtfully addressed Fjorn.

“Have you had any trouble with the mist here? Any creatures spreading or passing through that might form a danger? Anything suspicious you or your folks might have noticed lately?” after a long sip from the warm broth, she bit into the bread. Then carefully tore another piece of the salted meat. They should probably go fishing after the meal, just to make sure to repay Fjorn and perhaps stack up on some food for their travel back.

* * *​

• Popcorn
Reactions: Talus
Talus ate quickly, though tried not to appear ravenous.

The truth was though his stomach had not felt food for some time, and before entering the small home he'd felt as though he could eat his own army.

Quickly the young Apprentice filled his own belly, scarfing down nearly a whole loaf of bread and bringing himself to a sense of satisfaction so deep that he might as well have been on the verge of a nap. His head entered a sort of lulled state, filtering away when he heard Mikaela ask about 'creatures'.

His head half turned, cocking with interest. "Creatures?"

Talus asked in obvious ignorance.

Was she talking about Crocus and her ilk? From what he had understood of the Faerie no danger was offered from them, at lest not until they were incroached upon. Was there something else lurking out here in the Tundra?

Was that why Fen had sent him?

• Popcorn
Fjorn shook his head as they ate. Talus appeared to be the most faminished of them, but Mika could imagine why. She enjoyed her own meal, taking fairly small bites for a Nordenfiir. She even thought to see some appreciation in Fjorn’s for the way Talus put away food in chunks. Nordenfiir ate and drank a lot, and could go on for a while once filled. Perhaps Fjorn saw a worthy warrior with a healthy appetite in this travel. Whatever the reason, Mika was glad that there was no conflict.

“Not too long ago, there was an incident.. we still try to put things together. I’m not entirely sure what magic of demons came crawling from rips in space, but one of our cities ended up in a bad shape.” she didn’t go further, didn’t actually know a lot more about it. Aside from that he was still someone she had ‘just’ met.

From Fjorn’s reaction she knew what she spoke of. Word travelled fast, even in these parts of the world. Luckily, nothing had hit this settlement. She prayed nothing of that caliber ever would.

Well fed and warmed up entirely, she stood up to stretch. “I’ll go get some fish,” looking down at Talus she wondered if he should simply take a nap, but figured it was his choice to make. “you can come with me or stay and talk a bit with Fjorn here, I think he won’t mind.”

Offering a grin to her host, she then pulled on her jacket and the furs coming with them. From the package on her sled a hook appeared, thin wire, and an odd handle with a pointy end meant to drill through the ice. She meant to take the sled with her, that way she could sit on it while waiting for a catch.

* * *​

• Wonder
"I'll come with." He told Mikaela as he quickly stood and thanked Fjorn.

Talus was still not entirely sure about the customs of this place, and although he was positive their host would do him no harm he preferred to stay with the Nord he knew.

Besides, he was pretty sure that half the reason Fen had sent him here in the first place had been to make sure that he learned some new tricks. Fishing wasn't exactly knew, but surviving in this place was. Doing that first hand would work out for the best.

Pulling gon his own furs, he quickly stepped behind Mikaela.

"Is that city far from here?" He asked. "My own is rather close to our Portal Stone."

Just a days ride in fact. He wondered if it was the same here in the Tundra and he'd made some sort of collosal wrong turn on his initial journey.

• Popcorn
“Hmm” she thoughtfully hummed while walking toward the frozen sea. They would have to walk for a while before the deeper bits where they could drill a hole. As they walked she considered. She didn’t want to lie to him about the distance, but at the same time, traveling to Nordengaard would be safer than travelling to the Portal. He had come walking from it looking like a dead man. Sure, they would stack up on some food here. Perhaps prepare themselves a bit better, but the settlement was too small to get any read goods for a long travel.

“It’s going to be a long walk, a couple of days along the coast. That’s until we reach Sittekar, a port city where we could get a ride North, on a ship that is. Depending on the wind, I would say if we bring them an elk and some fish they’ll give us passage to the capital.” As she spoke Mika put the sharp side of the equipment she held into the side, after having put aside most of the snow with her boot, and started to turn it. Slowly but surely the auger of sorts started to disappear into the ice. After a while, they had a round hole where they could drop their line.

“If I’m honest, I would rather go to the capital first. I need to meet the Queen, if she’s there, there is something I need to discuss with her. Aside from that, it’s going to be easier to stack up on goods for travel there, because Nordengaard isn’t like this settlement.” Explaining it, she put some dried fish on the hook and let it go into the water. Handing him the line, she carefully made her way a dozen of yards away from him to repeat the process. Her sled was next to him, she gestured for him to sit.

“Use that as a seat, it’s comfortable, we can switch once we get something on the lines.” After a couple of moments of thinking, she got an idea. “Hey Talus, perhaps.. Crocus would want to go with us. Or at least, perhaps they know a shorter way to the port city instead of following the cost. With the rocks and snow here, it might be easier to follow a path inside of the forest.”

* * *​

Mikaela quickly divulged quite a bit of information for him.

With food in his stomach and warmth in his heart Talus could actually follow, and he nodded slowly in understanding as she explained.

He quickly came to realize that he was a tag-along in this whole situation. Fen had sent him here to the Tundra, but the reason for that was still entirely unclear to him. What was he supposed to do? Just go back or follow a Nord around the Tundra?

For a brief moment his lips thinned, and then he made a decision. "The Capital sounds...fun."

He agreed quietly.

What had he come here for if not to live the life? There was an opportunity in front of him that not many people in their lives would have. Dipping the line into the water he twitched it once or twice, moving the bait.

"Crocus?" He considered for a moment. "We could try...but from what she said it might anger her father."

The Faerie had been kind, more kind than any story of her people Talus had ever heard. Yet he couldn't help but be weary of what she'd spoken of.

• Cheer
“That’s true.. but I think that it might.. well, do her some good to travel, if she would agree, of course. I would never force one to leave their home if they wouldn’t want to.” Mika nodded, jerking the line as it started to slide from her hands. Ah! They had something. At least one, and from the pull of it, it might be dinner for two. Not that she would keep this one. The first one was for their host - she didn’t plan on going without bringing something back to the Fjorn.

“If we gather enough fish, we can take some with us, give to Fjorn for his hospitality, and maybe even trade some for bread.” Smiling widely she dropped the fish onto the snow next to the hole that’s been made, far enough so the struggling creature wouldn’t slip back into the water across the wet ice. And with a dry piece of meat her line went back in.

These waters were filled with fish. As they would go up higher later, further North, with or without Crocus, they would find even more of it.

“If you fill it struggle, pull hard, but not too abrupt so the hook doesn’t get loose. They might break free.” Injured the fish would be, but free. That would leave the two of them with less to eat and trade. Not that she truly minded. They had some time. Worst case they might ask Fjorn for a spot by the fire.

“Do you guys.. use gold, to get things, I mean.”

* * *​

• Popcorn
Talus gently tugged on the small end of the fishing pole in order to entice some of the fish to bite. For a second he flicked it around, then felt a gentle pull.

Just as MIklaela had instructed Talus did not pull too hard, but instead gently and firmly dragged the fish from the water. The Creature flopped around for a few moments, and with deft hands Talus grabbed it and put it onto the ice.

Fishing wasn't new, just the ice part of it. "Yeah."

He confirmed with a nod.

"Silver and copper too." Talus told her. "Easier to carry than a bundle of fish."

He offered her a smirk. "But some of the smaller villages just trade regular goods too."

• Wonder
“True, but you can’t eat it.. if there is nothing around.” Mika sincerely spoke, eyes still on the fish. Coins were different, but she could see the benefit of it if all the cities were like Nordengaard - and if they were surrounded by big cities around. However, she wasn’t sure if it was ‘safe’ to be unable to provide for oneself should the occasion arise. Not that she thought for everyone who used coins to be incapable of hunting and creating things necessary for survival. Talus seemed to be doing quite well with the fishing.

“At times I wonder if we should have both, but I think that it’s somewhat impossible. For all have to be able to survive the winter when it hits. If only a few can do the necessary then coins won’t save the others.” Pulling out another fish, she stayed silent for a moment while waiting for another bite. It might take a while. She hoped to give two fish back to Fjorn, and then decide with Talus what they would trade or keep.

“Say.. two fish for Fjorn’s hospitality, perhaps one to trade for a bread and we keep one? Or..? Any suggestions?” Grinning lightly, Mika turned to see what Talus had in mind.

* * *​

• Popcorn
A shrug ran over his shoulders. "You would know better than I."

He realized that the trek to the capital would likely not be a short one, but he figured she was fairely competent in their ability to feed themselves on the way. Talus did not know these lands, and that made him weary of saying one way or another.

"Back home We'd probably keep it." He told her, offering a bit more insight into Vel Anir. "But how far is the capital?"

Lips thinned slightly. "I don't imagine that the entire country is ice..."

For a second Talus paused, then added.

"Right?" In that moment he realized that he had absolutely no idea just what was underneath all the ice of the Tundra.

“Sharing is necessary here, well, trade it, in its primal form.” Another fish landed in the snow while she tried to estimate how far the capital would be. It honestly depended on whether they would get some help from Crocus and find a ship quickly enough to sail them there. Aside from that, there was always the matter of wind, and ice.

“If we’re lucky and Crocus helps out, I would say a day of walking toward the port. Maybe she knows a secret way to get us there even faster. From there on it’s getting a boat going to the capital. They’re specially made to go through the ice should there be any on the way. Though, I think this time of the year there won’t be much of it, and if some, it’ll be quite thin.”

Nodding, she did realize that they would need something bigger than fish to trade in order to get on board. “Well, we’re.. quite south right now. On the other side of the country, there is Indeholm, more green, quite warm for us Northerners. Faarin is further up north, but has quite some green grass as well. The capital is about the same height as Faarin, but further to the east.” Wondering if she should draw him a little map next time they’d have time for dinner, she decided to ask about whether he would want to or wouldn’t have any interest in the geography of Eretejva Tundra.

“I would say we’ll need to hunt an elk. If we want to get a trip from Sittekar to Nordengaard. Perhaps some fox skins too. Most likely they’ll be cautious about you, but seeing as you do look like a warrior they would probably respect that.” Grabbing the fish she had, Mika put it in one of the bags she had produced from the confinements of the “sled”.

“Let’s go show some gratitude and we’ll be on our way?”