Private Tales Mind the Swells

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
“His knee -- he’d hurt it before,” Kes volunteered to Faleru’s mate, before Gavin could wave it off as nothing major. She wasn't going to let him get away with dodging potential help...

Kes felt a little sliver of relief when Gavin told her that her breastplate was there -- if it’d fallen into the water, lost forever, she didn’t know what she would have done. It would have solved one problem, but potentially opened a whole host of others. She reached for it, intent on taking it from the pirate, when instead Faleru’s hand went to her leg, interrupting what she was saying and drawing the thief’s amethyst eyes to the other suddenly-human-looking woman.

That look... There was no arguing with it, and Kes felt a wiggle of nervousness at the base of her stomach. Did Faleru… know? There was no way she could have, right? Unless she’d taken it out… maybe it’d infected her, too. Kes didn’t know how it worked, or how fast it could work. All she knew were the whispers that wiggled at the back of her mind whenever she even looked at it, and she wasn’t anything, certainly not as important or potentially tempting as a dragon...

“... yes,” she said, finally, slowly. The smart thing would be not to push it, that look was pretty stern, not having lost any of its power despite Faleru’s much more normal looking face. But Kes, however, was not smart, as she’d been reminded many a time. So she held her working hand out for the breastplate, returning the dragon’s look evenly. “But I think it’d be best if I held it. Really… understand what happened. I've always been the touchy-feely type..."

He offered Kes a faux look of betrayal though she should have known by the hint of the grin that teased the corners of his mouth, he was not to upset. "I'll be fine." He attempted to argue, believing the attention should be solely on the wouldn't person in their party.

Of course that look shifted a bit as he took notice on her need to be close to the breastplate. Her behavior seemed oddly suspicious but then she had nearly died moments before so perhaps this was indeed normal behavior. Perhaps the piece of leather armor was important in some fashion and this was her were of grounded herself. Still he couldn't shake that nagging feeling but ultimately he decided against pushing further. Instead he focused on the newest addition to the crew and looked to the white hair man.

"Um... Welcome aboard... Apologies on my lack of manners, suppose you could understand given the circumstances... I'm Gavin, this one here is Kes... I... Don't know how to thank you for what you did... What you both did... I... if there is anything you may need...."

"Your knee? Allow me to look." Haratsu cut in after Gavin attempted to argue. The silver haired man did not allow him to escape, gaze fixed on the leg that had caught his attention earlier. When he began to expound on their situation, the man gave a small wave of his hand, dismissing the concern.

"No need for apologies, I am a stranger and suddenly appeared. Honestly you already have repaid me with your kindness by helping her. Just keep an eye on her for me, last I saw her she was well and fine, then ran off and got herself hurt. Haratsu is what you may call me." The man offered as he felt the other man's knee, the touch almost intimate as his hands roamed the area.

"Nothing damaged, but the muscles are inflamed, and you should rest here for a day to aid in its recovery. Put it in the cool water and it should help also." Haratsu spoke, his attention on Gavin almost completely as Faleru dealt with Kes, her eyes darting between the woman and her mate.

"I gathered you were, would have to be in order to have that many knives beneath the armor. Everything should be in order though, I left it all just as it was when I took it off of you." Faleru informed the woman with a harder stare. She was trying to hint at not revealing the pouch, desperate for her mate to not smell it. He hadn't yet but, pointing attention to it would likely draw him to it.

Kes glanced over as the man -- dragon, she reminded herself -- knelt to address Gavin’s knee, only peripherally paying attention to what was going on between them. Mostly because Faleru was looking at her with a steady, stern look, not having relinquished the breastplate to the thief’s hand, and Kes was torn as to what to do.

If she pressed for it, she’d have to explain herself and the contents of the pouch, something she wasn’t willing to risk right now’. But if she didn’t, was she taking the chance that Faleru would fall under its spell? The dragon seemed to be hinting that she hadn’t removed it from its pouch, and from the way she was glancing towards her mate, it seemed there was reason that Faleru had to want to keep it away from him. The half-elf’s lips pressed together in a thin, tight line. She herself was sitting up… but only barely, and she certainly didn’t think she could get to her feet, much less take the amulet back if it came down to it.

Plus, Faleru had just saved her life. If there was influence… hopefully it wasn’t much. Kes would have to trust in the other woman’s actions, for the time being, and hope she wasn’t wrong.

“I’d appreciate it if it was stowed somewhere.. Safe. Away from… more damage,” she finally said. “Just somewhere out of the way… out of sight.” She watched Faleru for a moment more, but the dragon was looking back at her evenly, the same way she’d looked -- though more human -- the entire time Kes had known her. No trace of what Kes remembered seeing, last time…

Shivering, the thief tugged the fur a bit tighter around herself, finding a lull in the conversation between Gavin and Haratsu. Cracking a lopsided grin, she looked up at the captain.

“What’s a girl gotta do to get some grub around here? I’m hoping it doesn’t involve arrows, I’m not exactly partial to them right now…” She shrugged her injured shoulder, an action that made her wince slightly. Right. Not moving it. That’s what she was supposed to be doing.

Gavin was blissfully unaware of the secondary conversation going on in front of him and perhaps later he would chastise himself for being none the wiser. For not he was attempting to fend off the curious white hair dragon man who took a interest in his knee. "I would love to do that mate, and perhaps I will soon, but as you see I've a lady to tend to."

It was clear that Gavin was not at all use to being looked over. It was something that came with his position of being the captain of a ship. He had to always appear strong and at the ready. Only two people these days were privy to his moments of weakness. Jaenessa and the ships doctor. But as he thought about it, he realize there was now a third person included in that small circle. Looking over to Kes, he recalled their first meeting. He had been battered and bruised from a rough night out and she saw he in a rather vulnerable state. Not many were lucky enough to see that side.

"I promise, to look at that... M'lady needs food though sooo..." he smiled to Haratsu hoping he would be able to sneak off now. Hopefully, it was that is... Life hardly ever was though.

Haratsu gave the man a nod of acknowledgment, realizing how stubborn this one was going to be about tending to the wound with others hurt around him.

"I understand, and respect your actions. The healers quandary of help others and put the self aside is a dangerous thing though. Be mindful that tending to oneself at times is more helpful to those around you." he politely reminded the man, allowing their conversation to end as he focused once more on the other two. The shrug drawing a hiss out of the man. "Both of you are truly too stubborn for your own good."

Faleru chuckled from where she was as she pulled the breastplate to her and set it aside, careful to keep the pouch facing down. "It will be kept safe. You have my assurance."

Haratsu looked to Faleru when the mention of food came up, his brow rising in an unspoken question as she nodded to him. He stood and stretched, looking to Gavin for a moment before striding to the end of the boat.

"I will return shortly. My mate requires a hearty meal, and while I am sure you have some supplies, she had quite an immeasurable appetite that I will help you supplement." he winked to the man as Faleru growled at him. A healthy laugh escaped him as he walked off the edge and floated for a moment, rocketing out of the cavern with a glee that resounded off the walls.

"I am going to eat him one of these days." Faleru mumbled as she curled up with Kes and waited, taking just enough to barely cover herself without uncovering the other woman. Whatever propriety she had was now gone with her mate, finding the warmth of the furs to be more welcoming than the call of the water.

Kes, at least, had the good sense to look appropriately chided when Haratsu hissed at her abuse of her shoulder. In her defense, she’d sort of forgotten. Other than how utterly painful it’d been when she initially woke up, she’d missed pretty much all of the seriousness of her injury, and even the initial pain of her failed-throw was fogged by the sleep that she’d still been shaking off.

More pressing than anything else, right now, was just how tired she was. The spike of adrenaline that had woken her up when she thought they were under attack had mostly ebbed, and she watched Haratsu take to the air with a soft chuckle. A week ago, that would have completely flabbergasted her. Now, it hardly seemed that shocking, considering he was a dragon. Yup, a dragon. And so was the mostly-naked woman cuddling up next to to Kes. No, not woman. Dragon, too.

“Warranted. Pretty sure he just insinuated you eat too much,” Kes replied, helpfully, as she shifted the fur so Faleru could have more than a corner. It wasn’t really meant to be shared by two people, but it was warm enough that it’d work.

Kes tried to find it in herself to be more concerned about what was going on around them, but between how tired she was and the cold that she couldn’t quite shake, like body was paperthin and couldn’t hold onto warmth, the nicest thing at the moment seemed to be to just close her eyes and listen to the sounds of Gavin moving around the ship. He’d called her lady. Hah, that was a good one. She’d have to make note to tease him about that later, when she had the energy. For now, she just sort of hugged it to herself and closed her eyes.

She might have even dozed off, propped up against the mast behind her and Faleru at her side, roused only when Gavin returned. It was a restless dozing, because she couldn’t really relax when she was borderline shivering.

“‘M cold. Warm me up,” she protested to Gavin, her sleepy demand sort of slipping out unbidden. He was always warm, part of that fire he carried, so it was a natural line of thought. Of course, a second later she spotted what he was carrying and her stomach gave a loud rumble. “... maybe food first,” she amended, with a tight smile.

• Yay
Reactions: Gavin Blackfyre
As Haratsu took off, Gavin just stood there hands coming to rest on his hips as he soaked in his advice. The man.. Dragon, made sense. Neglecting himself could prove to be a mistake in the long run. Sighing heavily he shook his head in defeat. "I like and hate him at the same time..." He mumbled to himself as he turned about, gaze drifting to the pair to spy Faleru getting cozy besides Kes.

"I'm going to get some.. Things... Yea just... Relax you two." He felt as if he issued out some helpful orders to the pair. Ah that was is it. It seemed Gavin was not use to having another alpha male around. Especially not one that could turn into a dragon at least.

As the pair drifted off to sleep, Gavin set off to keep himself busy. Eels were fished up and set to grill, seasoned with the waning spices in their stock. Kes had been hurt and needed tending to so any notion of rationing had been tossed out. When it came to it they would have to abandon the luxuries of their supplies but until then he was going to see she was taken care of. Afterwards Gavin set upon heeding the advice given to him and begrudgingly rolled his pants leg up to inspected his bruised knee. Swollen and purple but he'd seen worse. Slathered with a minty healing salve, he was thankful Jaenessa had been thoughtful enough not to pack away one of the more pungent herbal remedies they brewed. Sitting with his leg elevated, he made sure he was close enough to the pair to hand over their dinner with out requiring them to get up, all while keeping the small grill away from their reach. It was rather simple, just sitting himself in the middle, still he felt oddly proud. Leg tended to, food available and most importantly, comfort.

Such a simple feat brought a smile to his face which only widen when Kes stirred and immediately protested she was cold and wanted him to warm her up. He felt his cheeks flushing over thanks to her request and began to laugh as she then asked for food. "Here.... Fresh off the grill you little trouble maker." He handed her a skewer, the fatty cubes of seasoned eel meat enticing and begging to be eaten. At least he thought so. "And this.. Mint tea." He said as he fixed her a cup of the herbal tea and carefully placed the wooden cup beside her, steam rising from it's brim.

If she wanted as well, Gavin had a cup ready to go for Fal and Hara though he wasn't entirely sure if dragons drank tea... The whole notion seemed... Funny to him.

"You see what I endure." Faleru mumbled as she cuddled with Kes. Whether it was directed at Gavin or Kes, it was hard to tell.

The woman was warm, and so where the furs as she adjusted to share them with the dragon. She disliked this form, but it required less frequent visits to the water. On the other hand, the natural warmth of her half form or even dragon form was missing with her truly human looking form. With it came a severe hampering of her bodies natural abilities. Eyes half lidded sprang open as Kes asked to be warmed up.

It was followed up with food, and while she was loathe to remove herself from Kes's side, the smell of the mint tea grabbed her. Gently pushing off the mast, her eyes stared at the cup, a tad greedy even as she looked up to Gavin.

"If there is enough, may I request a cup as well?" Faleru asked politely. There were no sounds of Haratsu at the moment, and while the food was cooking, she wasn't about to do more than patiently wait.

Last edited:
  • Yay
Reactions: Kestrel
Kes wasn’t sure exactly what was on the skewer that Gavin handed her, but it didn’t really matter. She’d never a day in her life turned her nose up at food, especially not when her stomach was rumbling so loud that she was sure Haratsu off on his adventures could still hear it. She took it gratefully, and eagerly downed the chunks of meat -- the only thing slowing her down was that they were steaming hot and she had to blow on them before just swallowing them.

Licking her fingers clean, she sighed happily at the feeling of warm food in her stomach, carefully picking up the cup that Gavin had set down next to her. She wasn’t normally one for ‘tea’, but it was hot and right now that sounded nice.

Her amethyst eyes flicked to Faleru as the dragon asked for a cup of tea as well, smiling over the rim of her cup. “Wouldn’t have pegged a dragon for being a big tea drinker. Don’t you guys drink the blood of your enemies or something like that?” The tone of her voice was light and playful; for as much of a ridiculous thing as ‘hey they’re dragons’ had been initially, it seemed the thief was treating it the way she treated everything else -- with a smartass remark or two, though good-naturedly.

Though, a bit of that light-heartedness sort of faded at her next comment. “Sorry about the… trouble. Kind of shit to rescue you and then almost get you skewered a couple of days later.”

She cast a quick glance at Gavin, her lips pressed tightly together. It still felt like it had just happened, and she wasn’t ready to deal with the image burned in her mind of that arrow glinting in the water behind him and the stomach-sinking realization of what that meant. So, instead of dealing with it, she did what she did best -- pushed it away. Clearing her throat, she sort of glanced around the deck.

“Do we have any pieces of the fletchings left? I might be able to tell which gang sent them. Give us a head’s up as to who all is on our tail.”

She was deliberately being a bit obtuse, which Gavin might have picked up on. She didn’t know if he was familiar with the politics of fletching colors when it came to the gangs. The arrows had been colored red and white -- the colors of the Crimson Dawn, Kes’s own gang. But in a world where misdirection and deception were the name of the game, it wasn’t uncommon for one gang to attempt to shift blame for murderous attempts by copying other gangs’ colors. Kes had spent more than a few days building arrows under the supervision of the archers of her Family, she was pretty confident she could tell which gang it was that had sent them. Because it certainly wasn’t the Crimson Dawn. No way her own Family tried to kill her over a stolen bauble. No way.

• Yay
Reactions: Falerumasa
"Of course... Mistress Faleru." Gavin teased as he looked to her for the first time. It was amazing, her ability to shift as she now resembled a human. Gone where the claws and such which marked her as something else. If he were to see her in the streets of Alliria, he'd pay no mind to her. Which he suppose was the reason for this appearance. Which set his mind off wondering just how many dragons he could have walked passed in his time.

Cup poured, he slowly and carefully handed off to her. "It's warm." He cautioned, though he wasn't sure if it would bother her any if she spilled it. Still better safe then sorry though.

"I can look... I don't recall seeing the shaft after... After everything happened." He paused as he spoke on her near death experience. "It may have had red however... I recall as much."

Sadly, Fal had destroyed the first salvo which assaulted then and sent the remains to land and Gavin had made short work of the second by incinerating them, which left little to look back on, especially being they sailed far from the site of the attack.

"We should be safe here for now however... Only a few know of this hide away and thanks to the sharp turns you have to make to clear the outcrop of rocks, I doubt one of those seekers could find their way here... Still.. The use of those arrows is alarming..." Gavin went on to say as he took hold of his own steaming mug.

Her twitching smile to Gavin was the only sign that she had bit back her own words. The title he had tacked onto her name was likely meant in jest, but she would have to make sure to address a certain title shortly to avoid a summons by any of the courts.

Kes's words drew her attention as she took the offered cup. A smile appearing as she waited a moment to take a sip.

"I don't usually have tea unless I visit my son. And it usually is a ceremony given he has taken to the customs of eastern elves. Kazu and Haratsu both have insatiable appetites when it comes to learning about mortals and their customs." She informed Kes quietly. They both tended to dive headlong into the mortal world with abandon, pleased with immersing themselves with the latest cultures and studying them tirelessly.

"And their exists a type of being that, I have only seen and not known personally, do dine on blood. But they tend to stick to their own agendas and places. I usually take after whales, as eating people would be too much effort considering it would have to be a large boat and have a number of-" Faleru explained before cutting herself off. A frown appeared as she did, the question had been lighthearted, and she had taken it almost too seriously.

In regards to her next words, Faleru have her a bit of a chuckle.

"Everyone has their own troubles. I stumbled into yours as you stumbled into mine. A fair exchange if I say so." She laughed a little before the fletching question came up.

"I could have Ithyk see about finding them if any remain. If we are to remain here for some time, it is likely she can find something." Faleru offered.

• Yay
Kes watched as Faleru took the tea and began to drink, nodding in understanding when she described Haratsu and her son -- Kazu, it seemed -- and their interest in mortals. Though, truly, it was a bit insane to think of such awesome beings as dragons even bothering with the customs of mere mortals… but she supposed it made sense in the grander scheme of things. The way some of the kids she knew would collect and watch ant farms.

Of course, then Faleru was speaking of eating whales and entire ships of people, and the thief just sort of… stared at her for a moment, slack-jawed.

What in kriffing hell was she supposed to even do with something like that?!

“Right,” she said, as they moved to the issue of the fletching of the arrows. She shook her head, not wanting to waste the siren’s time searching for something small in such a vast area of the water. Besides, it was unlikely that the siren would be able to find a complete piece, which would be necessary to try and figure out who it was that had sent the arrows.

That and… well, she knew how to find out for sure. She just couldn’t tell either of them about it.

“Heartseekers won’t be a problem after tomorrow night,” she said, confidently, then paused. “Or… tonight? How much time was I out?” She wasn’t even sure, but she brushed it off in order to continue her explanation. “I … know of the spell and its requirements. It needs something of the person it’s been enspelled to, something of their body. Blood is best, and will always work no matter when it was collected. Hair is what’s most commonly used, though, because it’s easy to procure. Send a good looking girl to flirt with your target and you can get it no problem. But hair only works for a few days before it’s too dead, the arrows will lose their way.”

She looked down at the cup of tea in her hand, thoughtfully, her mind a million miles away for a moment. Back to a worn stone floor illuminated only by flickering firelight, Liev hunched over the big dusty tome in front of him as he practiced on small, padded-tip arrows. Over and over again, he drew the runes and spoke the words while she tossed her daggers, watching him as the shafts twitched and rolled -- until finally one took flight, zinging across the room and pegging her in the chest.

She’d punched him in the arm hard enough to leave a bruise, for that. But, in her defense, he’d told her they were going to go hit Bo, not her.

“I’m guessing that you didn’t exactly leave a vial of blood around your apartment for one of the gangs to find,” she said, to Gavin, “and I know I didn’t, so that means they must have been using hair. Which means the spell should be done either tomorrow or the day after...” Shrugging her good shoulder, she leaned back against the mast again, tilting her head up to look at the ceiling of the cavern. Could barely see it in the gloom of the torches lit along the wall. It meant that she didn’t even have a good idea of if it even was day or night or what. It was a bit disconcerting.

“How well used is this place? Should be we concerned that Dumont or one of the other gangs might know to look for us here?” Kes asked Gavin. She had a good framework for what her Family would know inside of Alliria, but she’d never been privy to their workings outside of the city. She had no frame of reference for that… she just knew that when she was on the run, staying in one place was never the optimal place. Keeping moving, keeping ahead of her pursuers -- that was what she'd always choose.

Oh, Fal had a son as well. The news was met with a curious smile as he learned more and more about their travel mate and he was beginning to see that his ideas on dragons were not at all true. Gavin was about to comment when Kes went on about the arrows and now she had his full attention. In his line of work, even before becoming the captain of a ship, he had never come across such magical devices, however he heard heard of them. Learning about their inner workings would prove to be invaluable.

When Kes asked the questions about blood, he thought for a moment about the night before hand. He had shown up to his apartment, battered and bloody but he was sure he had cleaned up after himself. From encounters with blood mages, he knew full well how deadly leaving ones blood behind could be. He was sure everything had been cleaned and the bloodied clothes disposed of. Besides, it wasn't like they could ring the coat up and just fill a vile. He had bathed however, and that meant leaving hair behind. That also meant they had been in his apartment and that was enough to cause him a frown. It wasn't as if that had been the first time his personal space had been invaded but it also didn't mean he would turn a blind eye, pun not intended, to it. This just added to a quickly growing list for reasons to confront Drendor.

"Would make sense why they used them... They were running out of time and perhaps thought they would be able to catch up to us... When they realized they couldn't, they used the arrows." Gavin painted out what most likely happened. "Only four other Captains and their crew know of this hide away... And though I wouldn't go as far to say I trust them with my life, I trust they wouldn't give up it's location else damn themselves for doing so... Hiding spots at sea aren't plentiful and when you have fools like Dumont stalking the water, places like this are important."

The talking she had done had seemed to make Kes stare at her with what appeared to be horror on her face. The dragon decided to make a more concerted effort to avoid going into details about her eating habits. She had been blissfully unaware of just how the woman would react, but it didn't seem as though she was going to attack her, so much as be increasingly wary of her.

A fair thing for a mortal she supposed.

The talk of this place being safe was assured by Gavin. Dumont and his ilk being the reason that most would never speak of it without ensuring their own demise if the pirates ever felt like hiding here to lie in wait for prey.

"Doubtful anyone would willingly give a snake it's nest." Faleru added to Gavin's words. Her gaze drifted to the opening, listening for Haratsu to return, but she still heard nothing.

Kes’s brow furrowed slightly as Gavin assessed the situation that had led to the arrows being released… It made sense, and was the most logical conclusion. But the biggest fallacy still remained… that the gang, her Family, had tried to kill her. Gavin wasn’t Family, so in the cold logical part of her brain she knew it made sense in that situation -- but it was almost more unforgivable, for her Family to have attacked him, nearly cost her him.

But the conversation wasn’t about that, and she took a deep breath. They needed to move, needed to keep putting distance between them and Alliria… but if they did, there could be another flight of arrows on their way. Unbidden, her mind presented her with the image of the arrow glinting in the water behind Gavin, and her chest clenched so hard it nearly took her breath away. She didn’t think she could deal with that again… and there was one thing that she could do to stop any other attempts.

“Okay,” she said, finally. “But after tomorrow, we should move. As scenic as this all is, I’d prefer sunshine and actually reaching our destination one day.”

She grinned good naturedly, shifting so she was more comfortably against the mast of the ship. Her belly was full of food and her shoulder didn’t hurt nearly as bad… and knowing that they were in a safe place, the fatigue of her wound and her body’s work to heal it were all catching up to her and she found her eyelids heavy. Maybe she’d just close her eyes for a few minutes, definitely not sleep, but just… rest. A little.

She stifled a yawn, tugging the fur a little bit more firmly around herself. Just a few minutes….

He watched as sleep claimed her, and not for the first time since meeting her, his gaze lingered upon her face. Beautiful and equally mischievous giving him the sense the moment she awaken, she would be up to no good once more... And it pained him to think he nearly lost that. It was amazing how only spending a few weeks in someones company could totally change your perception of them.

"Should let her rest... And you should catch up with your husband... I mean... Spend sometime with him... I'm going to keep myself busy, I have some things I need to think about." He told Faleru as he stood up, gaze never leaving Kes. A decision needed to be made and he was in the cusp of doing so.

Kes spoke and shortly after began to drift off to sleep. Gavin spoke shortly after Kes drifted off, the peaceful look about her as he noted keeping himself busy with thoughts. She gave him a brief nod, listening once more for Haratsu as the sounds of he and Ithyk outside caught her attention.

She stood slowly and stretched, making an effort to refrain from disturbing Kes.

"I will return." She spoke quietly to Gavin, an assurance as much as a notice of her intentions. She left the boat, undressing before slipping into the water once more and swimming out to meet the pair of other fae.

Haratsu had brought in a haul of fish, Ithyk happily dining already as her mate looked over her once more as she shifted to get half form to dine. A gentle pat on her back was his final touch as he told her she could shift within the next day or so without doing any more damage. The three ate their fill, sharing a little of what had happened as they could remember it before Haratsu and Faleru said their goodbyes.

He was off to see their son, a little miffed that she would not be joining him but understanding of her reasoning. She wanted to finish what she had started, and aid the people that had helped her in her time of need.

Ithyk was set to watch the entrance while they remained here, and Faleru rejoined Gavin and Kes shortly before she figured Gavin would need to sleep. She found a spot to make herself comfortable and slowly slipped into sleep herself.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The cavern wasn’t exactly spacious, but it certainly seemed large enough to hold four or five ships easily… which meant that there was space enough for Kes to find herself a corner away from their ship at the dock. She needed a modicum of privacy for what she had to do.

She picked her way across the uneven rocks carefully, glancing over her shoulder at the ship. It was quiet, Gavin and Faleru sleeping soundly aboard. At least, they had been when she’d left, demonstrating that soundless, incredible grace of a practiced thief as she slipped from the ship without a sound. She was good at what she did, after all, even if her skills didn’t exactly translate to being out on a ship in the middle of a vast body of water.

She wasn’t entirely sure where Haratsu had gone, but after a few minutes of surveying the cavern decided he was likely outside standing watch or otherwise entertaining himself. The half-elf wasn’t sure when Faleru had returned. The dragon had been gone long enough that the thief had woken up again, and at least shifted to get more comfortable than propped up against the mast, as evidenced by the fact that the dragon had returned to find Gavin and Kes stretched out on one of the furs, Kes’s head on Gavin’s chest.

Now, however, Kes found herself a flat area on the shore, away from the ship and obscured from view. Carefully, still favoring her right arm and her tender upper chest, she fidgeted with her belt buckle, sliding from underneath the metal bit a small, round disc. A red gem, scratched and worn, sat in the middle of it, with runes encircling the edge. She withdrew one of her throwing knives, carefully pricking her thumb until a single crimson drop welled up, then pressed the droplet into the gem, repeating the trigger words softly under her breath.

Not everyone in the Family could use the speaking discs -- usually only the mages and some of the more dedicated fighters who learned to trade their energy for the ability to communicate long distances. Kes was lucky; her own natural abilities meant that it’d taken very little effort to learn how to use it .As she finished speaking, there was a shiver in the air, and a ghostly, pale blue form flickered into existence just in front of her.

He was dark-haired, clean cut, and handsome, in a dignified way, wearing a tailored, velvet jacket and a ring of jewels across the neck of his silken shirt. His hands were clasped behind his back, a stance that she could recognize as perhaps one where he was contemplating the massive fire in his study. She could see it as clearly as if it was displayed before her, its opulent carpet and shelves upon shelves of books. He turned more fully towards her, his expression brightening into one of surprise.

“Ma--” He began, but she didn’t give him the chance.

“Did you send heartseeker arrows after us?” The tone of her voice was sharper, angrier, than any tone she’d ever used with him, and it took him back visibly. His eyebrows arched, then settled down into a pensive frown as he considered her. When he responded, it was in slow, measured tones.

“I’m glad to see you, my little magpie. Your Family misses you.”

Kes wasn’t prepared for how much those words hit her in the gut, especially considering what she had to say to him, but her anger wasn’t so easily forgotten. Not with the dull, low ache in her upper chest, still.. His response was answer enough to confirm what she’d been afraid of, her stomach dropping inside of her. “Don’t call me that. You did -- you sent those sodding arrows after us! You tried to kill Gavin. You nearly killed me, if not for Fal!”

The barrage of anger caused the man to hold his hands up, as if fending off her ire. “You’re my daughter, why would I wish to hurt you? Yes, we sent the arrows, but we thought it the most efficient way to free you from your captor so you could come home to us. I’m sorry to hear we were unsuccessful....”

Captor?” Kes repeated, incredulously. “Gavin didn’t kidnap me. He’s -- He’s helping me. Protecting me. And don’t tell me I wasn’t a target, heartseekers aren’t exactly subtle about who they’re heading for.”

“Captain Blackfyre hasn’t helped a person without it lining his pockets a day in his life. You are no different. If he is helping you, it is because he intends to make a sizeable profit off of you… one way or another.” His voice dropped, low and ominous, deepening into a frown when Kestrel scoffed visibly at his words. “You don’t believe me? Oh, my little magpie… You’ve always been one of the more difficult of my children, but I never took you for a *fool*.”

Kes flinched, her eyes dropping to the ground at the scolding, and Drendor sighed, raising one hand to press it to his forehead.

“... I’m sorry, magpie. I’m just… concerned. You are in dangerous company, far out of the reach of my protection. You shouldn’t be out there. You should be home, here in the Shallows, with us, where we can protect you -- from pirates with ill intentions.” He stepped towards her, extending a pale blue hand, as if she could take it and he’d whisk her right back home where she belonged. “Come home, magpie.”

Kes’s gaze flicked to his hand, then shifted to look at the ship beyond, still moored at the dock, resting quiet and still. Drendor looked over his shoulder, as if he might glean what she was looking at, though she knew the spell didn’t allow that. Just as she couldn’t see what was around him. Still, it bolstered her resolve just enough that she squared her shoulders and turned back to him.

“I’m not coming back. I’ll send word when I’m safe, but call everyone off. If you don’t, I’ll -- I’ll smash the amulet. Destroy it completely -- or throw it in the ocean so you’ll never find it again.”

Alarm coursed over his face, followed by the briefest flash of something -- something dark and angry, the same something that she’d seen on his face that night that she’d taken the amulet to begin with. Murder. “Magpie --” he began, in a low growl, but she sliced one hand through the air to cut him off.

“No. I’m serious. I’m out. I’m not coming back. When we get to -- to safety, I’ll send the amulet back to you. But if you send anyone else after us, if so much of a hair on Gavin’s head is touched, I’ll --”

“Oh,” Drendor said, solemnly, and the knowledge in his voice was enough to cut her off, flustered at the weight of that word. “I see. You… care about Blackfyre. Maybe even… love him?” He sighed, and she sort of shrank down on herself at the sound. His displeasure had always been the worst, because he didn’t yell. He just… was disappointed, the weight of which settled around her until it threatened to drown her. “My little magpie… he is using you. Of course he is, you silly little girl. You are on your way to Elbion, are you not?”

She didn’t answer, but he’d always been able to read her, and the press of her lips was answer enough.

“What’s in Elbion?” he prompted, with that tone he’d always used with her. The one that always told her how slow and obtuse she was, how patient he had to be with her…

“A… mage college, thing,” she responded, low and reluctant.

“The College of Magic. Full of wizards, mages, and all sorts learning… experimenting. Take a good look around when you land, because there’s one thing you won’t see: street urchins with magical abilities.” He pressed his hands in front of him, regarding her with a quiet exasperation to his mannerisms. “There is a large market for traffickable young magic-users in and around Elbion. Perhaps they will deny it, but there are more than a few less savory academics who take advantage of those who won’t be missed and experiment on them. Someone like you… Someone with your gift? Why… The price for you would set him up for life. Of course he wants to keep you smitten and dumb. The easiest lamb to lead to butcher is the pet.”

He reached out a pale hand, with just one finger touching her chin. It didn’t actually affect her, being nothing but an illusion, but obediently she looked up at him. “You’ll see, my little magpie. He’s not Family. He can’t be trusted, not like me. Now…” His voice softened, becoming loving and gentle once again, though still carrying that stern tone. “This is what you’re going to do. At the next port town, you’re going to activate the locator spell. Your Family will come for you, and you’ll come home. Do you understand?”

Her lips parted, the good daughter response of ‘yes Father’ on her lips… but just before it came, he added, hastily, “and the amulet. Make sure the amulet is on you.”

Her brow furrowed deeply again, and he saw the change on her face even as it happened. The amulet. It still had its hold on him… She couldn’t bring it back, he’d just keep doing exactly what it was that had made her run in the first place. “Magpie --” he began, stepping forward as if he was intent on willing himself to where he was, but she’d already spoken the release words, and the spectre of him disappeared into a puff of blue smoke that curled into nothing, leaving her standing alone in the dark, with only the sound of the waves to break the silence.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the pale blue form of the half-elf faded into nothing in the midst of the study, Drendor ran his fingers along his chin pensively. Damn. One small misstep, and she’d bolted again. Kestrel had always been headstrong, but there was … interference, now, that he hadn’t expected.

Though, perhaps, given her current company, he shouldn’t have been that surprised.

“Tosk,” he said, to the armored man standing on the other side of the study, at silent attention. He hadn’t spoken at all during his lord’s conversation with the errant half-elf, but now he snapped to attention. He said nothing as Drendor strode forward towards his bookshelf, running his fingers along the very topmost shelf until he located what he was looking for -- a small wooden chest, with a thick layer of dust upon it.

He opened the small wooden chest, removing something from it and tucking it into his fine silken handkerchief. Once it was wrapped, he turned and held it out to his enforcer. “The amulet is still on her person. Send this to Tavash along with orders. He can use it to track them without losing the trail.”

Tosk took it from him with a slight incline of his head. “Yes sir. What orders should I relay to him?”

Drendor considered, a furrow creasing his brow. There was another with his stray daughter, a healer of some sort if her words were to be believed. One of great strength if one of his arrows had found its target but all had survived. They could be useful, if only to recharge the amulet which would surely be drained after being away from him and starved for such a period of time…

“She has at least one additional companion besides the pirate, perhaps more. Tell them to be prepared. Take them alive, if at all possible. Dead, if there is no other option. Above all… bring me my amulet.”

“And Kestrel, sir. Should I issue a Writ?”

Drendor paused at the man’s question, looping his hands behind his back. “No,” he answered, finally. “Not yet. I still intend to bring your sister home. Dismissed.”

Tosk nodded briskly, then saluted. Turning, he left the study, the door thudding shut behind him. As he walked, towards the ravenmaster’s tower, he let the piece of cloth in his hand fall open. A small vial of red liquid, still as bright and fresh as the day it had been taken, sat within, an enchanted ribbon wrapped around the seal to ensure its continued viability. Tosk grunted in approval, placing the blood vial back in the chest. With the blood, Tavash and his assassins would have little problem finding those they sought….

It was early by the time Kes returned to the boat… or at least, with no light coming from the entrance, that’s what she was guessing, from the position of the tide pushing the boat up until it strained at its moorings to the dock. Even being an inexperienced sailor, she was well familiar with the push and the pull of the tides; they’d been a ever-present part of living in the Shallows, even with the canals designed to circumvent most of the problems caused by the rising and falling water levels.

Regardless, it was with a bit of effort that she hoisted herself back up onto the ship, mostly because with one bum arm she had to awkwardly swing herself up. She looked freshly bathed, clothes a bit damp, her black hair slicked back and still wet. It’d been the first time on this trip she’d been able to actually wash up decently, since previously she’d had to just splash water on herself from the side of the boat, not being willing to lower herself into the deathly deep water.

That, and she just really needed some time to freeze her brain with the cold water and think.

Not that it’d done any good, and now her shoulder was tight from the chill and when she rolled it, she winced slightly. Annoying… Hopefully it would ease with some food and some wine, which was the first thing she intended to see to, now that she was washed up. And… had pissed her Father off. Sigh.

Once on the deck of the ship, she glanced around, seeing who else was up… and would set about preparing breakfast of oatmeal and salted meat from the supplies in the hold -- not exactly a gourmet spread, but she was used to working with the most basic of ingredients. She wasn’t sure if Faleru ate oatmeal… but she made enough anyway. For the dragon. To share food with them. Yeah, it still sounded insane no matter how many times she said it in her head.

The ocean spray upon his skin was something Gavin knew in his heart he would never tire of. The small sloop cut through the water, paying little heed to swells that cause it to raise upward and then dip down just as suddenly. Normal for him, but he imagined Kes might have other thoughts. Unlike the calm waters she had navigated, the storm that trailed behind blessed them with strong winds and choppy water. He was determined to put as much distance between them and the storm as possible before laying anchor. And then sleep... And then... Kes.

He blushed at the thought of laying beside her... Or her laying on top of him once more. Though they had yet to tell their dragon companion of the moment they shared, given the fact she caught them sleeping on top of each other it wouldn't take much to imagine that their feelings for each other weren't exactly hidden any longer.

"Watch for rogue waves!" Gavin called out, touching a rather serious matter with a odd smile upon his face.

He chanced a glance over his shoulder to stare at the angry dark clouds behind them that stretched on for miles. At least they could take comfort in knowing anyone attempting to give chase would be hindered by the storm. "We've a hour at best before it's upon us." Gavin shouted next, judging by the speed in which the clouds moved and knowing they would have to make way for land soon or risk getting lost in the storm. Perhaps in his own ship.. But not with the ship Kes would soon own. He wasn't about to go and break her toy after all.

Faleru had said nothing when the pair had been caught by her eyes. A waning smile and an affirmation of what she had already believed to be true, even at their denials. It was perhaps young what they felt, unexplored, or something they wanted to deny but could not. It was not her place to hold an opinion on such things.

The water that sprayed them was welcome, her long hair in this form sticking to her as she delighted in it's playful tossing. Gavin called for them to watch for waves, to which Faleru made sure to keep close to Kes in case she needed help staying upright.

Haratsu had left them shortly after they had vacated the cave, waving after making sure to press both mortals on their need to take it easy on themselves.

It had been nice to see him, and be told she could shift without worry now. She was curious to see their reactions to her true form, and hoped it would be their inquisitive nature that brought it out rather than a need to.

As much as Gavin and Faleru seemed to be enjoying the choppy and rolling ride, Kes did not seem to be nearly as delighted or excited. She wasn’t sick, thankfully, even being on rough seas as an inexperienced sailor… but every time their bow dipped down and the wave ahead of them towered over ahead, it made her just a titch uncomfortable. Which was probably why she was sitting by the mast, as close to the middle of the ship as possible. She had been helping Gavin with adjusting the sails as needed, but staying upright on the rapidly teetering ship was proving work even for her natural balance and grace, so she’d given up unless he really needed something.

Instead, she was crosslegged as she went through some basic stretches for her arm, testing its flexibility and trying to work out the remaining tension that was hindering her being able to use it fully. It was significantly better, and she even entertained the idea of tossing her daggers… at least, until the ship dipped again and the half-elf rather re-thought that plan. Probably a bad idea. Didn’t need to end up stabbing anyone, which seemed a distinct possibility with the ship rolling the way it was…

“Rogue waves?” she repeatedly incredulously, looking up at Faleru as another round of spray hit the bow and fanned overtop of them. Her own dark hair, wet and short as it was, was slicked back, behind her tipped ears. “They go rogue? Why the hell did we leave that cave again? I’m not getting washed over the side to drown...” She grimaced.

Then came mention of the storm being upon them, and Kes sort of scrunched up her nose. She knew that when storms rolled into the Shallows most of the big ships left to ride the storm out in the open waters and not near the docks… but those were substantially larger ships than this one. Hardly seemed safe, especially with the waves as big as they were and only growing larger.

“So, what’s the plan then, captain? We heading for another of your little hiding spots?” She had to raise her voice over the wind so he could hear her, but it didn’t ruin the playful tone to her voice or the bright grin on her face. Surely the plan wasn’t to camp out and get absolutely soaked by the storm… though honestly she was most of the way there, just from the spray that was being kicked up. Doubly unfortunate because the only spare shirt Gavin had that had remotely fit her was one of those loose flowy ones... which when wet, turned into one of those inappropriately clingy ones... She sort of shifted it awkwardly, heaving a sigh.

• Yay
Reactions: Gavin Blackfyre
"No hidey holes this time.... We make for land." And from there they would figure out if it was safe to remain on board or attempting to find better lodging for the night. Knowing there was a storm fast approaching, Gavin knew he should have made for shore sooner but he wanted to get as far as possible. "And aye, rogue waves... Dangerous buggers come from seemingly no where..."

And they were terrifying. He left that part out. Large waves that broke in the water, he saw many a ship go down because of such waves. "You see one let me know.... I have to turn into it otherwise you're going to have to learn how to swim, and fast." He warned with a faint chuckle though there there was no real humor at all in his voice. In the distance, the clouds that appeared to give chase darken and soon flashes of lighting could be soon. Ominous was a good word to describe what was potential in for them.

• Yay
Faleru listened silently, still enjoying the water until the flashes of lightning happened. She tensed and jerked away from the clouds briefly as she eyed the storm behind them. She scooted a bit closer to the elf now, eyes still on the storm behind them.

"Land would be welcome." She quietly informed the elf. Her hands fidgeted on the edge of her tabard, her whole body showing anxiety now.

All right, well, land sounded good. Especially as the first low rumble of thunder reached her ears, followed by a crack of lightning. The wind was more biting now, too, not as warm. She considered the on-coming gale smudged across the horizon, distracted from her scrutiny of it as Faleru shifted closer to her. It was the first time that Kes had seen anything even approaching discomfort or even fear on the dragon’s face, and it was a bit surprising. Not the water, that hadn’t bothered Faleru, but the storm itself. The lightning? Kes was sure she didn’t know nearly enough about dragons to make an educated guess.

“Hey, don’t worry,” she told Faleru, reaching up and putting a hand on the other woman -- dragon’s -- shoulder. “Gavin’ll get us to safety.”

Even though land was very far away and that storm was getting closer and closer…

The half-elf considered it again, making a face as she was splattered by another spray off of a wave breaking over the bow, before pushing herself to her feet. As much as Gavin had soured her mood with all his talk about rogue waves and getting swept to a murky inescapable death, the truth of the matter was they’d get to shore a hell of a lot faster if she adjusted the sails as he needed. It’d be more efficient and less risk of him not being at the wheel if one of these rogue waves did decide to pop up and threaten to sweep them all into murky graves.

Not that Kes was at all uncomfortable with the idea of being in the water. Nope.

“All right, then, captain,” she pushed herself to her feet, rolling her shoulder experimentally. Still stiff, but it’d serve well enough to adjust the sails. “At your service, though don’t you dare threaten me with swimming again or I’m tying myself to the mast.”

The deck rolled underneath her again but she kept her balancing, moving quickly to adjust the sails as he directed. It was increasingly more difficult the closer the storm got to them, but thankfully the half-elf was quick on her feet, and the few times she was thrown off balance she had a hand free to grab for one of the ropes to keep herself upright. Man, suddenly sailing was a lot more work...