Private Tales MentOREship

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Once they'd finished the last of them Gustav finally stopped glaring at the two girls from across the street. As soon as Noel had cleared him he'd walked there and stood, arms crossed, with hatred in his eyes. She couldn't blame him. They'd lied to his face and then insulted his workers by suspecting them all of theft.

But it was the only way to eliminate the miners. The only way for this assignment to progress.

And now that it was over? Well, even Mieri was able to point out the obvious. "This is fucking bullshit!" Noel said with rage seething between her lips. Her voice just low enough so that it wouldn't carry beyond the pair of would-be investigators.

They were supposed to be warriors not detectives. Is this what working with the Black Guard would entail? More than just soldierly work? Or was Commander Ephraim simply having a laugh at her misery? Trying to get the point across that she would always be a Dreadlord and Dreadlords weren't welcomed within his regiment.

"We go back to speak with Caius," she said in a calm voice, "we get a lead from him or we use force."

He was the overseer. He either knew more than he had let on or he was incompetent at his job. Noel was determined to figure out which it was. "If you don't feel comfortable then let me know now. We're solving this case."

• Yay
Reactions: Mieri
Shock flickered over her features for a brief moment as Noel expressed her anger.

The Dreadlord had been so composed and put together so far that her expletive was entirely unexpected. Yet in that same moment Noel endeared herself a thousand times over to he young Initiate. Despite herself, Mieri couldn't help the small smile flicker at the edge of her lips.

"Fuck no." She declared. "I don't feel uncomfortable."

An energy suddenly flooded into the young woman as she unfolded her arms and stepped towards Noel. "We push Caius into a corner and get him to tell us every last detail about this fucking place!"

Her voice turned up a level and she practically beamed. As if she'd been waiting for this moment.

"I'm not made for puzzles." Mieri contended. "I'm made for punching."

Fingers furled into a fist. "So let's make that clear to our friend the overseer!"

Mieri said with a delightful chirp.

• Bless
Reactions: Noel
A smile formed on Noel's face. "Good," this girl was growing on her. Dreadlords needed to be intelligent, they needed to be strategic thinkers, but most importantly of all was that they could make short work of any enemy.

They'd given detective work a go and now they were hitting a wall. You didn't send a hammer in to figure out why the wall is there. You sent in a hammer to knock that thing down! "Let's go make a compelling case as to why it's in the overseer's best interest to assist us."

Caius poured another highball glass with a shot or so of whisky. He'd been drinking since mornings and he knew it wasn't healthy for him. It was why Miranda had left. It was why he was struggling to focus on the contracts and paperwork that flowed in. But he'd worked his whole damn life in this town. His father overseer before him, his granddad the overseer before that.

And everything had been going well until ore started going missing. Now there were new questions every day. People he'd considered friends his entire life were clamming up in front of him. The Republic, or perhaps just the Black Guard, had considered it such a problem that they'd sent two Dreadlords to make him feel the heat.

If he didn't turn in the...

He jumped in his skin as a loud crash sounded out behind him, twirling on his foot he saw his door fling open, both of the Dreadlord girl's from this morning stood in the frame. "You two scared the bejesus out of," he began until his words were halted.

"We've got questions."

It was the raven-haired girl who'd cut him off as the two warriors, hell was it even right to call 'em that... the girl's looked like children, either way they stepped into his home and shut the door behind themselves. The raven-haired girl was smirking something sinister as she locked the bolt to his home whilst the redhead cracked her knuckles.

"I've already told you everything that I know so," his tone was nervous. He typically didn't get mixed up with brawls in his elderly years but he knew these gal's demeanors from his youth. They were here for a fight. "You're wasting your time. If you need me to write you a statement or something I can and you can be on your way back towards-"

Everything went dizzy as a punch landed on his nose. It happened so fast he wasn't sure if it was the leader of the pair or the other one. His glass crashed to the floor and shattered, sending orange-brown liquor in every direction.

"Start talking or this is going to get very, very, painful for you."

• Gasp
Mieri had never liked killing people.

She wasn't entirely sure why, but even early on in her training she'd come to realize that murder of any sort was...disagreeable. Perhaps it was some semblance of morality, perhaps the truth was closer to an issue with her own personal traumas, but it was true nonetheless.

Ironically though, she had little to no issue with beating someone to a pulp.

Mieri wasn't the smallest Initiate in her class, but she was close enough.

In a world where strength and power mattered most, height and stature were often the first thing an opponent considered. Mieri has learned long ago that her size made most people underestimate her, and a best way to blow that estimation out of the water? A very short, and very quick burst of violence. So when Noel launched herself at the overseerer, Mieri didn't even blink.

"There's more to all of this." Mieri said, stepping out from behind her mentor and pointing an accusatory finger at Caius.

"Something you're holding back." As she spoke her fingers furled into a fist. "Stop holding back."

Her first came down, smashing through part of the desk and breaking off the corner of wood as though it had been made of paper. "Get it?"

• Aww
Noel

It didn't sit well with her that she'd just punched the overseer but the thought of failing at her first task as a Dreadlord was too horrific for her mind to process. Especially since she had a pupil with her. Noel was a fully fledged Dreadlord now and she had an obligation to Vel Anir, the Academy, and herself.

Though many of her classmates didn't seem to take it as seriously as she did she intended to let Mieri learn by example one simple truth. Dreadlords got whatever job they were handed done.

"I've already given you a bloodied nose, don't make me blacken your eye," she said with gritted teeth while grappling at the elderly man's collar and lifting him upwards.

"I think you broke my damn nose," Caius complained whilst dabbing a finger against the rose-colored liquid that flowed down his face. He cast a glance towards towards Mieri before adding, "I'm not holding anything back. I'm a proud patriot, I've served this town and the state of Vel Anir for my entire life, if I knew anything I'd-"

Whack! Noel landed another fist to deliver the black eye she'd threatened earlier.

Caius

How'd it all come to this?

He'd had a private tutor teach him how to read and write, explain to him the intricacies of Anirian law, and almost every night his father taught him some lesson on what being the overseer entailed. Sure, he'd faced hardships... like when he turned sixteen and his dear old dad informed him that his tutor was sent back to the capital. That he'd begin working in the mines the next day.

For years he hated his father for that. A life of plush luxury and learning replaced by mindless work. He'd gotten himself into trouble a few times, drank too much at the tavern, gotten hitched to Miranda and sired a child too young. It was only later when he was awarded the title of overseer as his dad wasted away on his deathbed that Caius realized exactly why he'd been sent to the mines.

Rounding out his education. Making sure the men and women who worked down there respected him. It was a good lesson, one he was glad he got to thank his father for before he passed.

And now his face was getting punched in within his own home. He was too old for this. He couldn't give them everything, he'd never be able to live with the guilt. Miranda would never forgive him for it. But maybe if he pointed them in the right direction, cut a deal with the two Dreadlords, maybe then they'd spare him and he'd have enough deniability to keep Miranda from hating him.

"Alright," he finally uttered, "but if I just have a name, that's it. Surely you made friends in the mine today? You can go to the tavern and ask one of 'em for more." He wiped the blood accumulating underneath his nose before continuing, "and you gotta promise me that you aren't going to hurt her."

Noel

"Fine," Noel lied, "give us the name and we'll be out of your hair." Though she wasn't sure they really made any friends down at the mine they could probably ask Gustav.

He seemed reasonable enough to know that once the pair got what they came for they'd be out of his hair and out of his town for good.

• Gasp
Mieri didn't add any more threats as Noel struck the man in the face a second time. The blow apparently being enough to bring the message home. Caius swore a few more times, clutching his nose as he swiveled his head and did his best to clean up the blood flowing down his chin.

"Charlotte." He said, his head shaking. "Her names Charlotte, alright?"

A frown pulled at the Initiate's lips. "Why didn't you mention her before?"

The question came without much forethought. I seemed natural to want to know why Caius had been protecting this woman. "She's a widow, nice enough lass. Didn't want her to get into any trouble after what she's been through this year."

Mieri frowned for a moment, glancing at Noel briefly before she asked another question.

"Why would you think she's involved?" This had to be something, right? No way Caius would be protecting someone else and pointing the finger at a Widow. That just seemed to complex to work right.

• Bless
Mieri was asking all of the right questions and Caius was being as evasive as someone trying to hide something. "Charlotte? You want us to go to the local tavern and ask about a widow named Charlotte? Do you think we're dumb?"

Noel brought the man up to her face, glaring at him before tossing him into his own chair.

"Answer my partner's question," she said coldly while continuing to stare daggers.

"Look, I've already said too much, I don't know specifics it's just a hunch," Caius rubbed at his sore face and looked towards the redhead for a modicum of support. "She works with the team in the village that starts the refinement process. Her husband passed this year. If anyone has been having trouble making ends meet it's her." Caius regained Noel's gaze and added, "now please, I don't know more than that, I don't keep up with the town gossip."

Noel gave Mieri a side-eye wondering if that was it or if the man was still hiding more. Her nerves were getting to her slightly as she contemplating whether or not she had it in her to continue beating an old man who clearly didn't want to turn in a poor widow.

• Stressed
Mieri glanced back at Noel for a moment.

Interrogation was a careful thing. She had had this talk with Caeso before. Beating someone up, torturing them, didn't really tend to tell you much. Most people would just say whatever they could to make the pain stop.

It was natural, human.

When it came to this sort of thing it wasn't about the answers.

It was all about body language, and right now Caius was screaming that he had nothing else to say. The desperation, the humiliation, the entire way that he now stood shouted that he was done. There was nothing else to push for. "You won't have any more trouble with us if that's it."

Mieri said, her voice sounding oddly cold.

"We're here to do a job." She glanced at Noel. "Long as this helps that, you're all good."

• Bless
Noel stood there for a moment after Mieri had finished speaking. A heavy silence hung in the room as Caius thought of what the best thing to say would be.

As for Noel? She'd learned awhile ago that sometimes saying nothing was the best play. All of the pressure was on the man they were interrogating and he'd at least given them something even if it wasn't as in-depth as she would've liked.

After what felt like an eternity he chimed up. "I don't know more than that, I'm sure someone can tell you more about Charlotte," he forced a smile and a nod.

The Dreadlord clad in platinum looked down at him with the same crow-like stare she'd given so many of her adversaries over the years. Eventually she turned towards Mieri with a more stoic look. "That's enough for me."

With that she simply turned and exited the man's home, undoing the deadbolt she'd locked when they're arrived and exited out into the setting sun of the mining town of Urstholm. With her gaze towards the cresting sun she spoke only after Mieri had exited.

"Do you believe he was hiding anything else?"

Caius collapsed as low as his body would allow him into his chair. He'd likely go see a doctor in the morning to address the swelling his face no doubt would encounter this evening.

But for now, well for now he would self-medicate and hope those two girls didn't get any closer to the truth than Charlotte. That widow was smart, she'd figure out a way to protect... his thoughts trailed off as he had stood and opened a small drawer. Retrieving a new glass for his liquor as he poured a fresh cup.

He'd have a doctor prescribe him medicine in the morning. For tonight he knew exactly the fix he needed for the throbbing pain in his face.

• Devil
Mieri felt a slight turn of her stomach as she stepped outside. Not because of the falling sun, but because of the question Noel asked her.

There was a brief moment of hesitation, an internal struggle between two sides of herself. The one half wanting to be good the other half always wanting to prove. For a brief moment she hesitated, stepping forward and almost taking the lead as she and Noel moved away from Caius' home.

"Yes." She said. "No."

Her lips thinned as she quietly cursed in her own head. "I don't think he would have said anything else."

Mieri finally admitted, though she was loathe to do so in front of someone like Noel. It was one thing to argue with Caeso, but someone who was supposed to be her Mentor? She hadn't survived the Academy by being foolish, despite her big mouth.

"Violence and pain can only push someone so far." She explained hesitantly. "Even if he was holding back, I don't think he'd have told us anything more. No matter how much we hurt him."

• Bless
Noel didn't react as Mieri spoke. Her body language stated quite plainly that the girl was unsure of herself. Eager to please, contemplating what the right words would be.

A weird part of Noel saw herself in that girl. Granted, by the time Noel was her age she'd already figured out all of this. There was no chance that Noel was insecure or unsure of herself a year ago.

No chance at all.

"I agree," she said after a time, allowing a small smile to tug at her cheeks. "We got a lead. That's all we wanted from him anyway."

There wasn't much to gain, aside from a loss of their humanity, by beating the man to a pulp. At least now they had something else to go on even if it was just a name. "We'll hit up the tavern."

Her lips scrunched as she contemplated the day's events. They'd managed to piss off virtually every miner. In a worst case scenario she could try to reason with Gustav but there was a lingering doubt in her mind about whether or not even he would be interested in speaking with them about a widow who was down on her luck.

"Did you make any friends in the mines today?" They'd had a few hours where they'd simply walked around, pretended to gather information, perhaps Mieri had made a connection. "If not we can just mingle at the tavern but if there's anyone who was exceptionally kind to you or that you built rapport with now would be the time to tell me."

If she had someone they'd hit them up first. If not, no harm, they'd just walk around and hope that one of the miners had grown more sympathetic as he'd begun drinking after a long day's work.

• Thoughtful
She considered for a moment. "Well I wouldn't say friend."

Mieri had always been more hospitable than Dreadlords. She was actually willing to talk with people and didn't look down on them when they gave an answer that wasn't a match for what was already in her head. Attitude like that was a skill itself she had found, though not popular with her peers.

"One of the old timers." Mieri said. "He chatted with me for a few minutes."

His name had been Taius, or something close to that. They had spoken about the mining process and he'd mentioned how long he'd been there. Mieri wasn't entirely sure that he would talk to her again, especially after the stunt they pulled, but it was worth a try.

A shrug rolled over her shoulder. "Maybe a drink might serve as an apology. He seemed nice enough."

He'd said she reminded him of his own daughter before she'd left Urstolhm.

• Sip
Noel mused on the information for a second. Either the older man was a pervert or Mieri reminded him of someone (or merely reminded him of the concept of youth). Regardless of what it was they should use this bond to their advantage.

"Alright," she said, "we buy him a drink. If it comes to it, blame the search on me. You wanted no part of it." She tossed a tiny bag of coins towards Mieri as she finished speaking.

If all they needed for this random stranger to give them information about Charlotte, so be it. Noel would hover close enough to over heard the conversation while Mieri gather the clues they needed. "Let's go."

She turned and walked towards the tavern. It was a bustling place with several waitresses walking from table-to-table, large pint glasses clanking against one another, and roughly twenty taps ready to fill the empty pint glasses as they came up.

• Devil
Mieri's hand snapped up in an instant, catching the coin purse with a wide grin. "Oh I can buy someone a drink."

About that part at least, there wasn't any lying.

With a new skip in her step Mieri entered the tavern right alongside Noel. She half expected the music to stop and everyone to stare at them, but the reception they received was one of calm disinterest. Most patrons turned their heads, but immediately looked away and returned to whatever conversation they were holding.

Most did not want to expend energy on some petty grudge, but would simply rather enjoy their evenings.

Not that such a thing extended to everyone.

As Mieri looked around the room and searched for Old Man Taius a few mutters echoed out. One person or another whispering about those fucking Dreadlords, another saying something about little girls thinking they run the show.

She ignored them, instead nudging Noel's side. "There he is."

The Initiate said, embarking across the tavern and heading towards Taius who was sitting at a table alone in the back.

"Hey there little lass, didn't think I'd be seeing you again aft-" His head turned to see Noel. "Well."

Mieri flashed a smile. "Yeah, I'm sorry about that."

The old man waved a hand. "Don't worry too much, the younger ones likes to forget, but was a time before the Republic that Urstholm had more than just searches outside the mine."

A frown touched her face for a brief moment, and she glanced over at Noel. Wondering if her Mentor knew anything about that.

• Thoughtful
All of the hubbub of the patrons in the bar didn't bother Noel and they seemingly didn't bother Mieri either.

When you grew up at the academy the disdain and dislike of a bunch of miners in a backwater town couldn't really shake you. Noel doubted that anyone here would do more than just complain or occasionally glare at the pair of girls.

Urstholm was a mining town and it was so minor that Noel had originally assumed this job had been a prank or some simple errand to show her the Black Guard didn't need her kind. So when the man before them made his claim she returned the same puzzled look to her pupil.

"More than just searches?" Perhaps it was simply something unknown outside of the mining town.

Or, equally likely, the academy just didn't bother to ever teach them about whatever the older man was alluding to. They'd learned a lot of things the academy had failed to instruct the initiates on after the Republic took over so it wasn't completely outside the realm of possibility.

Taius shook his head at both girl's bewilderment. "Not even two educated Dreadlords know? Everyone just forgot." He continued shaking his head in confusion while taking a long sip of his ale. "Everyone just forgot..."

• Thoughtful
Mieri frowned for a brief moment, looking at the old man. It was as though they had somehow managed to disappoint them. As though they were supposed to have figured out some mystery or secret that nobody else could see.

"Kress." The old man said with a shake of his head.

"The BlackGuard haven't been a secret." Mieri nodded her head, though didn't really understand what the man was getting at. "But, the armor has always been."

She glanced at Noel, wondering if her mentor was getting it before she was. "Where do you think it comes from, Lasses? Why do you think you been sent here?"

The old man continued.

"Can't get the ore nowhere else. Before the revolution this place was locked down." He looked at the both of them. "Guess they still are in a way."

It was as though the old man had expected the two Dreadlords to know yet. After all, why else would they be sent here. "Was only a year or two ago, but wasn't long ago you couldn't even leave the village!"

He let out a scoff. "Charlotte's son was the first. Boy was smart as whip, so no one was surprised."

• Sip
Noel listened intently as the man spoke, not really sure exactly what he was alluding to until he mentioned that the entire town was locked down before. Likely to keep the ore protected as much as it was to keep it a secret.

Would explain why she’d never heard of Urstholm until so very recently.

Then he spoke her name, the exact woman they were looking for. Charlotte. It was impossible for her to resist the grin that now tugged against her cheeks. The man had volunteered the name of the exact person they were meant to pursue.

”Charlotte?” It was a single name, spoken as a question in a tone that could’ve fooled an experienced gambler. ”That poor woman.”

The mentor pulled out a chair and took her seat, raising a finger at a passing server who deposited three large pints of ale on the table whilst Noel handed him a bit of coin. ”Whatever happened to her?”

She slid the glass of ale over towards Taius who nodded agreeably. “She’s running the refinement team, don’t know exactly how they operate but,” he plucked the mug upwards and took a hearty miner’s chug of the beer, “she’s been through a lot since they took her boy.”

”Sounds like she could have some incentive to pilfer Vel Anir’s ore.” Her grin returned as she gingerly took a sip of the glass that had been placed before her.

“What? No, not at all!” Taius’ face darkened and his cheeks took on a rosy tone, “you’ll not make a scapegoat out of some poor woman who lost her-”

”Shhh,” the allomancer raised a finger as the man’s voice started to increase in volume, as his emotions began to get away from himself, ”we just need to know where to find her after we finish our drinks. It’s our duty to follow any possible lead. I’m sure she’s an honest woman.”

Taius clanked his pint against the table, obviously still irate.

• Stressed
"You listen here!" Taius voice was a bit louder than Mieri would have liked, and she inwardly cringed as the old man leaned forward. One of his hands slapped against the table, and out of the corner of her eyes she noticed a few people looking over towards their way.

"That woman is a saint, alright?" He peered between Mieri and Noel. "Even after...even after Husbands accident."

A frown touched her lips for a brief moment, but she didn't interrupt Taius as he spoke. Though there was clearly something more than just a simple accident.

It would only lead to more trouble. "She took care of a lot of us! She feeds us, makes sure the boys got a place to go at the end of the day. The poor woman's had nothin but shit her whole life. Those damned Drea-"

Taius looked at the two girls, bit his tongue and then continued.

"She's alright, she's good. Understand?" He stared at Noel. "No need to bother her with this nonsense."

Mieri frowned for a moment, her lips opening as she began to speak, and then suddenly she turned tact. Her head shot over towards Noel and she silently tried to communicate something."Yeah...of course Taius..."

She said slowly, hoping not to sound like she was lying.

"You're right..." Mieri nearly winked at her mentor. "There's no reason to talk to Charlotte. Sounds like she's a good person."

Her voice was flat. "Right, Noel?"

Mieri asked, staring at the Dreadlord.

• Bless
Almost instantly Noel’s demeanor shifted. Her face went from a confident, snarky, visage to one of acceptance. Understanding.

She nodded along as Taius’ rage grew. An understanding setting in as her emotions went into a false sympathy. A facade that she kept going the longer Taius spoke all the way until Mieri questioned her.

With a start she pretended to be broken from concentration, wiping her brow at the thought of this poor mother.

Noel lifted her chin to meet Taius’ gaze. ”I don’t think we need to speak with her, she sounds like a very generous woman.” The mentor raised her mug and glugged upon the amber-colored liquid within the glass. It flowed down her throat longer than would’ve been socially permissible, even amongst miners.

”Kress!”

She pounded on the wooden table with a clenched fist. ”Our superiors are going to ask about her. Demand a report..” A fake rage growing. ”We must speak with her. Just so we can clear her name.” The raven-haired mentor glanced towards Mieri with a look of regret, ”it pains me that we have to put that poor woman through this.”

”But, you understand. Dreadlords.”

Taius sighed and took in both of the girls reluctantly.

“From the tavern, head east. Look for Resvenus Street. Her house is the one with the yellow door.” He shook his head once more. “What will you say to her? Be kind at the very least, she’s a good woman. She’s not the one you’re looking for.”

• Gasp
"Of course she isn't." Mieri said, not able to handle the guilt which was quickly growing in her chest.

She had never been a good liar, but that was mostly because she didn't like lying.

At least that was what she told herself. "We'll just go quick, one or two questions to appease protocol. That's all."

The words sounded a bit forced, something even Taius managed to pick up on. He looked at her for a brief moment, the suspicion that he held more than a little clear as his eyes narrowed. Mieri felt panic rising in her chest, and then suddenly stood up.

"Excuse me..." She said, planting a hand over her face. "This is...just...too...much..."

The young girl continued, her voice now inflicted with that of a wailing sob. "That poor woman!"

Mieri declared, turning on her heel and suddenly running towards the door as she pretended to cry.

Taius stared after her for a moment in bewilderment, turning towards Noel. "Is...is she okay?"

• Cry
Mieri’s acting wasn’t all too convincing but for a brief second Noel allowed herself to appear entranced. It made the job of going along with the charade all the easier for her as eyelids blinked and a sullen shake of her head followed.

”She’ll be alright…”

Her voice was sorrowful. Filled with a tense quiver that was a bit too real to just be an act. ”All Dreadlords are given up as children, yes?”

Taius shook his head, understanding coloring his gaze, the doubt he initially had suddenly passing. An arm involuntarily raised his glass for another sip of alcohol. “She misses her own ma,” the old miner looked as if he had tears forming.

Noel’s face seemed to grow in size as she took the miner in. ”Yes. Most of us do. If you’ll excuse me, I need to make sure she’s alright.”

The Dreadlord exited the bar while the old miner reminisced about his own daughter.

Once outside Noel found Mieri waiting for her. She wasn’t sure exactly why Mieri had done what she had just now. If the girl’s poker face was just so bad that she didn’t want to risk blowing the job or if Noel’s lie was a bit closer to the truth.

The allomancer flung an arm around her pupil’s shoulder and squeezed lightly. ”You did good.”

They’d gotten the information they came for so it wasn’t like Noel was having to weave a fabrication.

”The house with the yellow door on Resveneus Street.” A repetition of the instructions the miner gave her. She let her grip lighten a bit but didn’t bother releasing the younger girl. Even if Mieri wasn’t truly upset, the tale of Dreadlords missing their own parents wasn’t entirely off the mark.

And she had a suspicion that talking to Charlotte might be even more difficult than back when they searched every miner the town had to offer.

• Aww
Mieri, had in fact been acting.

Many would claim it was another form of lying, but the difference in her head at least allowed her to put on the small performance for Taius and the rest of the tavern's guest. It was a silly thing, she knew, and half of her feared reproach from Noel when she stepped outside.

A flinch very nearly ran through her as Noel through an arm around her, expecting a thwap to the head or maybe some sort of punch. Instead however she received a trickle of praise, and a small grin spread over the younger girls face.

"Well" She said with her growing smirk. "I may have not entirely been honest about being a good liar..."

Mieri confessed. "I thought better a scene than...ya know."

A shrug rolled over her shoulders, but the two of them quickly made their way through the small mining town.

Lanterns began to light up within the village, though most people were already in their homes or at the tavern. By the time they reached Resveneus street the sun was touching the horizon, casting a pale red and orange light over everything.

• Popcorn
"You did well."

Noel finally released the younger mentee from her grasp. Content that the younger girl apparently didn't have the same parental blocks that Noel did. Perhaps she simply never knew her parents. Or didn't remember them as Noel did.

Perhaps her acting really was just average, or maybe it was great, but the nature of it resonated something within her. Something he wanted to cast as far down as possible.

Finally, her demeanor went serious. She lowered her shoulders, looked towards Mieri, then moved her vision eastward towards Resveneus street. "Let's go."

The two departed easily enough until they reached their destination. Fires crackled, lanterns turned bright, and the smells of various home's dinners resonated throughout the streets. Eventually they approached the yellow doored-home of Charlotte. The woman they had to rely on for information.

The woman who, if she were a dead-end, meant failure.

"We need," Noel hesitated as a fist rose towards the front door, preparing to knock but stopping for just a second, "anything." If they didn't glean any new information from this woman then they'd be left empty handed. Without a path forward. The mentor knocked firmly on the door, fist pounded against the chipped yellow wood.

In an instant the door turned inwards and a woman with curled locks and a plump figure stood before them. Her gaze immediately darting back-and-forth between Mieri and Noel. "Can I help you twos?"

• Aww
Mieri nodded her head, hearing the slight hint of desperation in her mentors tone.

It was obvious that Noel did not like failure, whether with this task or any other that she might be given. A perfectionist, Mieri thought, something that she herself had never been. Yet Noel had been kind, brusk at times, but that was the nature of what they were.

Something about the elder girl made Mieri want to succeed at all of this.

If only so Noel could get her win.

As her mentor knocked on the door, Mieri shifted her stance. Squaring her shoulders and doing her best not to look like a five foot nothing whelp. They needed this woman to spill something, to give them a lead or even just be the damned culprit of all this already.

"Hello, Ma'am." Her voice contained the trademark chirp of cheerfulness.

"We're the Dreadlords who recently came to town." She wouldn't pretend the woman hadn't heard. This village was so tiny the neighbors knew when you had to go to the bathroom. "We were wondering if you would have a quick work with us."

Charlote's lips pressed together in consternation, gaze flickering between the two girl.

Then she started to close the door.

• Bless
A heavy boot moved forwards, catching itself between the woman's front door and its frame. Charlotte looked down at Noel's shoe which now prevented her from closing the door in the two girl's faces. For a long time the three of them stood like that in silence, Charlotte just staring at the boot.

Then she let out a sigh and re-opened the door. Whisking cigarettes and a matchbook from her overcoat and lighting one of the smokes. "Ok. What do you want?"

Noel wasted no time at all. "Why did the overseer send us to you?"

She'd already deduced that Charlotte was either a patsy or perhaps had an inkling of who the real culprit was. There was simply no chance that the overseer would just give someone up that easily. Of course, the other alternative was that Charlotte was just a lot more clever than the overseer. Maybe he thought she could send the investigative Dreadlords on a longer goose chase than he had.

"Because he's an ass." A plume of tobacco smoke emerged from her mouth as she spoke. "And he can't bring himself to," the woman looked out into the night as the lit sconces flickered against her front door. "Look, he thinks that because I lost my son that I should protect his kid."

"Excuse me?"

"His daughter. He didn't tell you about her did he?" A sly smile tugged at the woman's lips. "He also probably didn't think I'd sing like a canary. But see," the woman leaned in close, the stench of her cigarette intensifying, "I knew this day was coming from the start."

The mentor held a puzzled expression on her face as she glanced towards Mieri and blinked in confusion. "I'm sorry, from the start? I'm confused."

"The overseer's daughter had magic. She was a Dreadlord." It was a quick snap, as if it was information that should've been obvious.

"Was?" This Charlotte woman now had Noel's full attention.

The smug look on her face grew slightly, clearly she blamed the overseer for the loss of her son, or maybe she just didn't like the Dreadlord daughter she hinted at. "Yeah, was. Until she walked off the job, took on a new name, and had her daddy set her up with a nice gig here in Urstholm."

• Stressed