A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
It didn’t seem like Jaenessa intended to eat with them and Gavin had slowed down, so Kes felt absolutely no qualms about helping herself to another big plate of food. One of the most important lessons she’d learned growing up was to eat as much as she could whenever she could get her hands on it -- she never knew how long it’d be until her next meal, after all. There was no indication, still, how Gavin and Jaenessa planned to profit off of helping her, but Kes was content to take advantage of the situation for the time being.

The First Mate stared at Kes thoughtfully and the half-elf sort of glanced at Gavin questioningly, sort of hesitating with a piece of bacon in her mouth. OK, maybe she had misinterpreted the situation, and she started to put one of the wedges of cheese back in the basket…

… when instead Jaenessa made her declaration and in her surprise, Kes just about choked on her piece of bacon.

Coughing to clear her throat as the dark-haired woman continued, Kes busied herself with sloshing water into her glass, taking a long drink to help clear her throat. Well. That wasn’t exactly what Kes was expecting to hear out of the mouth from the woman who had literally just revealed herself to be the fiancee. Former fiancee, too, so that was a whole other level. The dark-haired thief could just feel her ear-tips burning at the insinuation, her normal wit momentarily having failed her.

Of course, Gavin ‘took care’ of the situation, as it were, and the half-elf just shook her head, sitting back in her seat. She was more than happy to focus on the plan of escape, as it were, instead of potential romantic entanglements with a man she’d barely met.

“Right. Well. Not nearly as good of a story if we survive, but I guess it’ll work,” Kes said, eager to get the topic of conversation back onto something that she could actually talk about without her ear-tips going red as the apple in front of her. She picked up said fruit, slipping it into one of her many pouches, before standing up and brushing her hands off on her thighs. “Right then. I’m going to go wash up. Do me a favor and don’t plan any weddings while I do so.”

She wasn’t some princess slathered with perfumes and fancy stuff ,but she did like to keep clean, and that basin had reminded her of that fact. So she’d waste no time in heading to the small bathroom to remove the filth of the past day...

• Yay
Reactions: Gavin Blackfyre
"I make no promises deary." Jaenessa said in a sing song voice, watching Kes vanish into the bathroom while she ate the apple Gavin was so kind to provide her with.

"Jae... Why do you do this." Gavin said as he turned to look down at his First Mate.

"Because it's to fun... And you've been brooding for far to long despite your attempts to prove otherwise." She countered.

"And are you any better?" He was fast to say back.

"No.. No I am not... And maybe one day, I will move on... But until then, I'll just tease you." She lifted the parchment and began to blow upon it in a attempt to help the ink dry.

"Will it work?" He motioned to the paper.

"It's a rushed job.. But it should get you past the duty officer at the docks... You know Warren is going to ask questions." Jae grew serious at the mention of this person.

"Warren can drown in the river for all I care... If he asks though, I'm checking on his shipment... And if he pushes... No matter how much he pushes... You do not help him.. He is a weasel... And if things in Alliria go bad..."

"I know the captains to go to for help... I know the correct officials to speak to... I know not to trust what Warren says... He trained me good Gavin... You trained me good... Here." She rolled the parchment up and tied it closed with a string before she handed it over. "The long eared beaut will be safe and away and you will be back before you know it."

"Now, wash up yourself and get ready to go... Your distraction is going to start her performance soon." Jae urged him on, returning to her apple as Gavin started on his own.

• Yay
Reactions: Kestrel
It was, in many ways, one of the nicest washrooms she’d ever been in. Which was saying something, since it was, like the rest of the apartment, functional and austere. But the water was clean and there was even a nice cloth towel that she used to dry herself off. Running her fingers through her tousled, ebony hair, her eyes drifted to the breastplate she’d set to the side, the hidden pouch visible.

She could just go back. The damage wasn’t done, not yet, not entirely… not until Drendor was forced to make an appearance without the pendant and the spies of the other gangs realized the opportunity. Ten years she’d been part of the Family and it’d never bothered her before, in fact had done much to protect and behoove her… It would be simpler than this cockamaney plan that involved a man she didn’t quite know what to make of and a world that she wasn’t interested in exploring.

A sigh slid from her throat as she set the towel to the side, then stepped to pick up her armor and strap it back into place.

Dammit, it’d be so much easier if she could just… forget.

A moment later she emerged from the washroom, adjusting one gauntlet so it sat more comfortably on her forearm. It was slightly bulky for its size, but, like the rest of her armor, was of pretty high quality, if well-worn. Straying into the bedroom, she retrieved her cloak before returning to the main room. Jaenessa was done writing, so Kes glanced at the page curiously.

“Your distraction. She’s not gonna get herself killed, is she? It’s no small thing to fool around with the Crimson Moon.”

Her voice was nonchalant, but .. there was a slight tone of concern there. At the end of the day, she didn’t know the woman and had no control over what she did with her life… but Kes didn’t exactly want to be the reason someone else died. Not exactly a nice feeling, there.

"Just a half elf with dark hair screaming through out the merchant stalls as she runs by with a stolen apple... She will get apprehended by the city guard and I will be there to pay her fines." Jae assured her.

Gavin slipped into the washroom in the meantime to fresh up himself leaving he two ladies alone. Jae never the one miss a moment stepped up to Kes and spoke.

"Advice... You may think him a buffoon, he often is, but listen to him. He is more clever then he seems and luckier then any cat I know... And I know it's odd... For a stranger to want to help... But I assure you he is genuine.... Also no matter how annoying he may seem, you must stop yourself from wanting to stab him.... No matter how entertaining the thought." Jae smiled and stepped away as Gavin emerged from the wash room, binding his hair back into a ponytail as he made way for his room.

He would head for the large trunk in the room and with out delay, open it to reveal the clothing he stored inside. He couldn't very well travel in his sleeping linen after all. Pausing to run his hand over the Anirian Naval Officer coat that was folded and bound in twine, he patted the coat and offered a small sad smile. He then retrieved a dark blue over coat of similar design, alone with a white linen shirt and tan trousers. Most importantly, he pulled the leather harness that would act a a small measure of armor under his coat. Fully clothed, he'd emerge from the room and march to his desk to pluck his eye from the glass of whiskey. Cleaning it with the towel he left there the night before, he removed his eye patch and placed the glass eye into his socket. Of course his back was to them as no one wanted to see such a spectacle. Retrieving his sword belt, he pulled it tight against his frame, securing the two short scimitars in place and smiled. "Shall we?"

• Yay
“All right…” Kes replied once she was reassured as to the safety of the other woman who would serve as their distraction. They certainly seemed to function like a long-standing pirate captain and his first mate. Guess she had to actually believe him when he said he had a ship and all that; not that he’d shown any penchant for lying to her, but, well, she came from a world where everyone always talked bigger than reality.

The half-elf was adjusting her cloak into place, tucking it along her breastplate so it wouldn’t strangle her or get in the way, when Jaenessa stepped up to her. Amethyst eyes fell on the beauty in front of her, sharp and scrutinous as the first mate made her case. For what, Kestrel wasn’t entirely sure. Well, other than the whole ‘don’t stab Gavin’ part, which Kes was pretty sure she could do. After all, it wasn’t her style to stab those who annoyed her. Now, steal every penny they had and leave them tied up in their underoos to a pole -- that was much more likely.

Before Kes could respond, however, Gavin had made his reappearance. So, the half-elf turned back to Jaenessa.

“Oh. Before we go,” she said, with a slightly guilty air… and then began to pull out of a surprising number of hidden pockets on herself a fork, both butter knives that had been out, the wax seal press from the desk, several small coins that weren’t Allirian currency, and a pair of dice likely pilfered from one of the other residents. Patting her pockets, she made sure they were empty, before offering a lopsided smile. “Sorry. It just kind of…. Happens.”

“Right. Well then. Uh. Thanks,” she said, once more to Jaenessa, then turned and headed for the door. OK, time to get out of there before she stole something they’d honestly be mad at her for.

• Yay
The third floor of the building housed only one apartment, Gavin's, though curiously enough the hall was short and unlike the floors below it. On the first and second floor, the stair way sat in the middle with the hall stretching on either sides. though on the third floor, it only stretched to the left. Immediately to the right was a wall, unremarkable in appearance and much like the other walls in the building in terms of paint and molding. In truth, it was just a wall.

Until it wasn't.

Gavin strode to the wall and looked back to Kes. "Hands in your pockets... And don't breath a word of this to anyone." He ordered before looking back to the wall and pressing a small notch that had been part of the top molding. A audible click sounded as something on the other side of the wall was unlocked and a seam appeared on the wall itself that had been cleverly hidden away.. With a gentle push, the wall swung open to reveal it was actually a door. The rest of the hall was reveal as well as two other apartments. Janessa, taking up the rear, already had a candle lit and ready to illuminate their passage through the dark interior. As they moved forward, she paused to close the door behind them and secure the lock once more and then continued to move along.

The building sat along side another and thankfully was windowless meaning it had been easy for Gavin to conceal this section of brothel. No one outside of himself and Janessa ventured up to his floor to really take notice on the short hall so he had worked that to his advantage as well. What was on the other side of those two other apartments were anyone guess as he didn't pause to give Kes a tour. Riches beyond belief? A vile dungeon? Who knew. He continued moving to the end of the hall where they would reach another wall. However, it wasn't the wall that he opened this time however. Taking a knee, he would lift the floor board up to reveal a perfect cut square that swung open upon hinges. He loved the dwarves of Belgrath and their talent for crafting, and such was seen in the money he spent on these little secrete entrances.

Not soon after opening the passage, they were assaulted with the dank scent associated with the canals below. Neither pleasant or unpleasant, just heavy like an enclosed basement. "Careful on the way down... It can be slippery at times." He moved to start his decent but paused and looked up to Janessa. "Make sure everyone stays out of trouble... You know where to contact me in Elbion if you must."

"You're the one who needs to stay out of trouble... I'll see you soon. Kestrel... it's been nice.. Hopefully we can meet under better circumstances.... I suspect having a drink with you would be fun." Janessa said as she bid the pair farewell.

• Yay
Kestrel wasn’t entirely sure what she expected but being led further along the third floor certainly wasn’t the first thing that sprang to mind. Normally, she would have been angry with herself for missing an entire hidden wing of the building -- but she hadn’t exactly cased the place in her approach the previous evening. Her goals hadn’t been to rob it, after all, merely to get in and get hidden and, hopefully, get help. She’d, so far, managed to succeed in all three goals.

Well, here was hoping she’d hidden. She still wasn’t convinced that the rest of the Family didn’t know exactly where she was and would be waiting.

“Mm, gotta love that familiar stench,” she mentioned at the smell that emanated after Gavin lifted the hidden trap door (very clever, she wasn’t even sure she would have spotted that, not without some serious time to be looking). So this was one of his secret entrances. She herself wasn’t sure if it was one that would already be known to the Crimson Moon; she was a thief, not a smuggler. Occasionally she ran jobs for those who specialized in the movement of goods, but not nearly frequently enough to be able to reliably case this part of the city.

As she prepared to follow Gavin down the dark hole, Jaenessa made her farewells, and the dark-haired half-elf smiled in response -- perhaps the most genuine expression they’d seen on the young woman’s face.

“Consider it a future promise -- drinks with *extra* fun.” She ducked her head in a final farewell to the first mate.

Turning back towards Gavin, she cast a quick glance as if that would show her the entirety of the path in front of them. Despite the situation, despite the fact that an ambush could be waiting at any moment, despite all that rode on them making it to the ship without dying, she looked calm and slightly amused by the whole situation.

“Right, then. You have your orders: stay out of trouble. I’m not a betting woman but I’d put extra money on you ruining that before we even get to the ship.” She grinned to show that the ribbing was good-natured.

• Yay
They would climb down the length of the three story plus more in total darkness.The passage had been cleverly hidden in the following floors by shortening the halls themselves and no one was none the wiser. Gavin counter each rung as he climbed down, knowing the exact number before his booted heels touched down on the cobbled stone passage below. The moment he did, he backed away from the ladder and searched the wall beside him, it's surface damp and bumpy. With in moments his fingers brushed along the familiar curves of the torch which had been left to hang on a iron bracket. Safe from her eyes, he ignited the torch, not with flint or a match but with a snap of his fingers. A little magic trick he seemed to keep up his sleeves.

With the warm golden light filling in the space of the tight corridor they found themselves in, it provided enough life to grant her safe passage so Kes was no longer descending into total darkness. The half elf seemed in good enough spirits despite her current predicament to tease and Gavin welcomed this with a small grin.

Before pressing forward, Gavin would kneel to inspect the floor itself. He didn't say what he was looking for but it was clear he was rather serious. "Doesn't look like anyone has been here... Let's move." He said in a low voice. Thanks to the long halls and stone work, voices had a tendency to carry. Taking the lead, he would begin to move down the sewer passage.

• Yay
The darkness and the close quarters of their descent would certainly have bothered most people, but to Kes it was just another day on the job. She’d been gifted, thanks to her heritage, much keener sight even in the near or absolute darkness that she often worked in, but even then most of their trip was spent in almost blindness. His feet scuffed on the ground beneath him and she heard him move off into the side, so was prepared when there were no more rungs underneath her feet, just solid ground.

A minute later a flickering glow filled the stone passage, doing much to lighten the oppressive gloom of the depths. As Gavin knelt, the thief tilted her head one way, then the other, listening intently for any sign that they weren’t the only ones here in the depths. She heard nothing, which agreed with his conclusion that they were alone. Despite that, however, she eased one of her smaller throwing daggers into her palm, wanting the reassurance of the cool metal against her grasp.

She nodded in agreement to his words, keeping her normal smart-ass remarks for another, less dangerous time. No use in her dumb tongue getting them ambushed because she couldn’t shut up in a situation where voices carried badly.

So she fell into step behind him, her feet making not a sound -- a true thief’s ability to move silently, especially when there was a need for it. She was responsive and attentive to his cues, too, not needing much prompting to follow suit or gestured instructions as they headed towards their destination. It certainly seemed as if he was right about the gang not knowing about these tunnels… but they weren’t out of the proverbial woods yet.

• Yay
As they moved forward, the cobblestone walk way would lead to a narrow passage to small to allow them to walk straight and thus forcing them to squeeze in and walk sideways. Before entering he motioned to another opening in the wall. It was clear that both passageways had been excavated and was not apart of the original engineering of the sewers. These had been Gavin's own editions.

"That way is larger... takes us close to the mouth of the canals but we will be open and exposed... This one is a little more well hidden... But it is a tight fit..." Warning issued, he didn't leave her a moment to decide and instead squeezed into the the dark passage, pausing to unbuckle his swords he held them to the side with else risk having them scrap along the wall to announce their presence. With torch in hand to lead the way, he cleared their passing by burning the webs that riddled the tight passing, preying that the spiders had since moved on. It seemed to cruel a joke to have to pass through such a narrow way and deal with spiders as well.

• Yay
Kes glanced down the larger then smaller passageways as he described the two options. “Well --” she began, but he’d already pulled his swords off and headed towards the tiny squeeze passage. The half-elf sort of rolled her eyes; it’s not like she really had a choice, he had the only source of light, so she followed suit and pulled her daggers off her back before shimmying in behind him.

It was easier for her, being smaller and more slight of stature than him, but it still was an uncomfortably close fit with rough-hewn walls that weren’t nearly as reassuringly solid as the other walls of the sewers had been. This must be what he’d meant -- these weren’t city-based constructions, to be sure. Much more, ahem, independently created, it seemed.

And, unfortunately, filled with spiderwebs.

Kes grimaced as she caught yet another web to the face, picking at the offending silk before flicking it to one side. “A rather concerning amount of webbing,” she noted, in a low voice so as not to reverb down the passage and alert anyone who might be waiting at the ending of us. “Please tell me these are normal, friendly, tiny sized spiders and not large, angry, potentially people-eating spiders.”

• Yay
Her comment gave him pause and he turned to back to look at her. "Why would you put that image in my head?" He chastised her before visibly shuttering. It took all he had to push his way through and in that moment, he revealed that he himself was not to fond of the eight legged creatures.

"Common spiders... Not venomous to us... Actually their undisturbed webs is a good sign that all is clear so it looks like my little passages aren't known after all." He seemed proud of this judging by the smug look he offered her. As proud as one could be of a tightly constructed passage that was damp, filled with spiderwebs, and stunk of sewage at least.

Turning back to lead once more, they would eventually come upon the end of the passage which was nothing more then another wall. To their left, was an indentation in the wall and Gavin took great care to ensure that it was clear of any debris. As he held the torch there, clear scratch marks was shone on the stone floor and it seemed that wall was another trap door.

"Once we are out, we will no longer be hidden... Jae's distraction should be in place now so hopefully if there was someone down here, they are gone now.... Kes... If someone is here.. You need to tell me what we are doing... " He spoke in soft measured tones. His last part implied that they needed to fight, he needed to know if he was to kill or not.

• Yay
Kes nearly bumped into him when he stopped, apparently appalled at the idea of giant spiders. Her eyebrows arched as he revealed himself pretty firmly in the ‘arachnophobic’ category of people. Then he turned back and resumed his movement, accompanied by a low chuckle of amusement from the half-elf. Still, she was happy enough at his reassurance that there were, hopefully, only normal-sized spiders in their future.

His question, however, wiped the amusement right off of her face.

“I’d prefer no one dies,” she said, her voice tightly controlled. “But it’s vital we get away.”

She was hoping beyond all hope that Jae’s distraction had worked; the gang certainly had the ability to communicate and coordinate to a single point of interest, hopefully meaning the half-elf stand-in would have pulled everyone from their posts here… But that was only if they were very lucky. And in Kestrel’s experience, ‘luck’ was something she could only count on when it wasn’t actually necessary.

“Watch for thrown knives and darts,” she added. “They’re usually laced with a poison that causes your muscles to go rigid.” It was, to the gang, a closely guarded secret. Or at least one they tried their best to keep … but in this situation, she was going to have to sacrifice that to make sure they got out…

• Yay
"No one dies." he repeated as he placed the torch in a empty bracket that hung over head. It was good to know what he was allowed to do and what he wasn't.

A deep breath drawn, he moved his hand along the wet stone surface of the wall they moved against and felt for a small notch. Even with the light provided, it took him a moment to find it before he stuck his finger and after a moment of struggling, pushed the hidden button. A click sounded and the passage before them swung open slowly, fitting perfectly into the depression before them. The fit was seamless and it would seem to anyone passing that this was just a small passage way that lead to nothing, giving how as this door open, one closed behind them.

Yes, he really did love the dwarves and their designs.

Stepping out into the sewer, he looked about quickly to ensure all was well before he waved her out. Now they were truly in the Allirian sewers, and greeted with the fine perfume of waste. Small catwalks connected opposites that lead to equally small walk ways, the center canals reserved for the steady floor of pungent water that carried the cities waste into the water that surrounded Alliria.

Gavin moved to refasten his sword belt to his hips but found himself pointing forward with the bundle of sword and leather to the direction they should walk in. "Looks like we're cle-"

He didn't hear it as much as feel the faint ping as the pin hit his sheathed sword, the poison needle sinking into the leather that housed his scimitars. With not so much as a thought given, Gavin sprang into action racing forward while unsheathing his blade in a swift motion that batted away a follow up dagger that had been thrown. The distance between their assailant was closed with four long strides and before the attacker could react, Gavin was upon him. If his knee or wounded arm bothered him any, he showed no signs of it as he ducked under a panicked swing of the mans fist and repaid him with a quick blow to the side of his head, using the butt of his sword. She said no killing and he planned just that, even though he was now staring down two other men daggers in their hands who were just around the bend.

Why couldn't this be easy?

• Yay
Kes was familiar with the sewers and knew exactly what to expect when she stepped out from the passageway. The door closed behind them and she ran her fingers along the seam, looking impressed. Even with knowing it was there, looking for it, she could hardly even tell where exactly it was. She wasn’t even completely sure she’d be able to find it again, and her ability to retrace her steps was impeccable.

She slid her daggers back into place, rolling her shoulders to settle the scabbards back comfortably in place, then shrugged her cloak hood up.

She heard the ping of the needle dinging off the metal of his blades, and even as he charged forward she was moving as well -- fluidly a pair of daggers, small throwing ones, slid into her palms. Even as he knocked the one man down and came up face to face with the others, two daggers streaked past either side of him, one digging deeply into the man’s upper shoulder and making him stagger backwards in surprise. It wouldn’t disable him, but it would ensure Gavin only had to face one at a time, since he’d need a moment to recover from pain.

It was, unfortunately, the only aid she was going to be able to give him, because there was the scuff of feet from around the other corner, the one Gavin’s back was to. Another trio of gang members appeared, drawn by the alert of their cohorts, the one in front taking a swing at the captain in front of him.

Kes was there, though, her daggers ringing out as she caught the blow and then batted it away, kicking hard at at his knee with a sickening crunch. He went down, but the next gang member was already behind him, swinging hard at the half-elf. He was a massive man, bald and tattooed and towering, and way too strong for Kes to block, so she rolled to the side, barely dodging the massive blade that sliced through the air.

“Rude, is that any way to treat a lady?” she taunted, even as he took another swing at her and she ducked that one as well.

• Yay
Later, Gavin would learn that the distraction in fact worked, drawing out most of the people who had been searching for Kestrel. Unfortunately for the pair however, many still lingered in the sewers and now they were forced to fight, and worse yet, the half elf asked that none of their attackers be killed. It wasn't that Gavin couldn't restrain himself he just happened to prefer a more permanent solution, especially at a time like this. Still the lady made a request and he would honor it.

For having just met, the pair worked rather well in unison, Gavin responding to her attack by sweeping the legs under the man with the dagger in his arm before pouncing upon the other. A quick blow to the side of the head put the third man out, leaving Gavin a moment to fasten his sword belt and sheath his blade. The moment of respite ended quickly however as the echo of hurried steps announced that more gang members were rushing to them.

With out skipping a beat, the ruffian rounded the corner and swung at Gavin who brought his arm up to guard. With practiced grace born from years of brawling, Gavin took the blow and immediately wrapped his arm around his attackers and pulled back, dragging the man forward. This exposed his face, leaving him open to receive a quick left hook from the captain who followed up with a front kick to his midsection that sent the gang member flying back to the pair behind him. Gavin watched the trio long enough to witness them crumble into each other before moving on.

Turning to Kes, he saw the large man she faced and ran the short distance to her aid, plucking the needle that was still embedded in his sword belt and skidding to a stop upon the slippery stone floor. The bald brute turned to face him and was rewarded with a quick prick to his meaty arm. Gavin hoped their was enough poison left on the needle for the desired effect and was rewarded a moment later when the attackers face twisted in pain. Taking hold of the scruff of her cloak, Gavin helped her up and squeezed by the brute who gripped his arm in pain. He lead her over the small catwalk hurrying along to take the lead as he stopped to face the gang members who were attempted to regroup.

"Why can't things ever go right..." Gavin grumbled as he stepped down on a suspiciously perfectly cut square tile. At first nothing happened but Gavin stood his ground, grunting as his foot strained against the stone tile until it began to sink into the ground. A loud click sounded out followed by a low rumbling as the stone catwalk crumbled just before the men crossed.

It didn't stop there though. A low rumbling that echoed through out the sewers continued to grow until water began to burst out form drains, and it seemed the one eyed captain made to flush out the sewers. Running back to Kes, he took the lead as he raced down the walk way. "Hurry hurry hurry." He ushered her as it seemed they were barely ahead of the drains that began to sprout water from over head. If they delayed, they would run the risk of getting swept away.

• Yay
The murky light glinted off of Kes’s daggers as she shifted her hold on them, preparing for her next dodge-and-attack -- when suddenly Gavin was there, pricking the man with the poisoned dart and grabbing her cloak. She let out a sound of half-annoyance half-protest at the interference, batting at his hand even as he released the back of her cloak to hurry further into the sewers.

“I had it --” she stated as she followed, grabbing a pair of throwing daggers off one of the men who were already down and turning to kindly return them to two of the other gang members. Both daggers coursed through the air and found their marks in the mens’ thighs, stopping their movement forward almost instantly and buying Gavin and Kes plenty of room. The half-elf turned on her heel again -- only to nearly bump right into the captain as he … stomped on a stone?

“Hey, uh. Maybe running?” she suggested helpfully as he stood there with this expression of concentration… then the sudden sound of grinding and distant rumbling drew her attention and she hopped back from the catwalk as it simply dropped away. Water began to pour even faster from the drains and the half-elf’s amethyst eyes got huge.

Okay, that was her new worst nightmare.

“Don’t need to tell me twice!” she responded as he urged her to hurry; she had no real trouble keeping up with him, her own heritage making her naturally fairly quick. Not to mention, Kes did not enjoy the idea of being swept away down into the sewage filled canals, so adrenaline was giving her plenty of kick to agree wholeheartedly with his urging.

“Please tell me you have an exit plan that doesn’t include that!” She flicked her dagger at the encroaching water behind them.

• Yay
"Exit plan... Yes... Of course... Of course I have one." He said in the most confident voice ever as they passed by another catwalk that would have connected them to the other side of the sewer canal if it not had been in disrepair and collapsed on itself. He cursed himself for not keeping up with venturing down here to make sure everything was in order.

"This way!" He cried as the water began to rise, threatening to spill until the walk way at any moment. A old rotted ladder was their salvation, rickety and held together by rope, animal glue, and sheer determination. It acceded up into a grate over head, left leaning haphazardly against the wall and Gavin could only assume it was some sort of quick get away used by a thief or perhaps the gangs.

The ladder groaned against his weight as Gavin scrambled up, pausing only to steady himself after one of the rungs buckled under him. He continued however, frantically moving up to the grate to beat against it. It budged but barely and for a moment Gavin wondered if they would get swept along by a wave of waste. Perhaps it was the smell below that drove him but Gavin braced his forearm against the grate and pushed with all he had until he felt the iron grate give and it swung open, toppling over a chest that had been placed half over it. Lifting himself out and coming to rest on a stone floor, Gavin turned about and would thrust his hand into the darkness just as the ladder had been swept away.

Gavin’s overly-confident response to her query had probably the opposite effect most people would have expected -- Kes’s eyes widened in alarm instead. Hey, she was the master of bullshitting through over-confident bluster. She could see that a thousand leagues away. They passed another catwalk, this one their potential exit ruined by the fact that it was missing its entire middle portion.

Water splashed around their feet as he spotted a ladder -- or, at least, a pair of sticks that some desperate soul had shaped into a facsimile of a ladder.

“Oh no no no that’s a terrible plan,” she protested, but he was already up the ladder and a quick assessment of the area around them revealed that there weren’t really any other options. The water was rapidly approaching as she stringed several curses underneath her ladder with an expertise that would have made the most hardened of Gavin’s sailors nod in approval. The half-elf held onto the ladder as Gavin scaled it, not confident that it would hold her weight as well. She gripped the slime-covered wood, staring down the sewers towards the rapidly encroaching wall of water.

“Gavin! --” she prompted, her voice reaching a concerned pitch. The water was coming, so fast, lapping around her ankles already as the wall of sewage rumbled faster and closer --

Then, suddenly, she was plunged into darkness as he and the torch went up and out. She was glad she had her hands already on the ladder, because she nimbly scrambled up the rungs, feeling the ladder shifting as the water swelled around its base. The wooden frame began to drift, then, as it lost its last hold on the ground, she pushed up with all of her might, reaching out blindly in the darkness --

With a smack, her hand found his, gripping his wrist with strength born of sheer adrenaline and desperation.

With another huge haul, her other hand scrabbling to find the edge of the door to help drag herself up, the two of them managed to get her up and through. Flopping onto the ground, the distant rumbling of the water far underneath the ground, the half-elf just closed her eyes for a moment, her chest heaving.

Abruptly, however, she sat up just enough to cuff him on the shoulder. “That was the worst plan ever!” she burst out, propping herself up on her elbows as she squinted around them. “The hell are we anyway?”

"S... See..." Gavin let out as he gasped for air beside her. "I had a plan."

He never stated it was a good plan but still, they made it out of the sewers that had not been flooded over. Looking around their surroundings, he could see they were in a store how of some kind and judging by the new odor that assaulted them, some place that houses animals. Almost on cue, a chicken clucked beside them from a cage causing Gavin to jump in surprise.

"Not sure but let's not dwaddle." Gavin said as he climbed up, groaning as his knee responded in protest. Looks like it was back to hurting.

Looking about the dimly lit room, he saw crates and cages stacked up around each other and realized they were in the store house of a inn or tavern. Spices and produces on one side and cages of poultry on the other. He thought it odd that the chickens would be kept in such a way but realized they weren't for eating, spotting the clutch of eggs it had recently laid. He was about to comment on where they were at when a door open and a beefy man with a cleaver in hand stepped in.

"Thieves!" The man cried in alarm.

"Not thieves! Merely passing through." Gavin responded as he made for the door.

"Like hell you are! Thieves thieves!" The man cried as he moved to run off.

"Damn it not so loud!" Gavin protested as he grabbed at a small coin belt that thankfully still hung upon his belt. "Look, would a thief pay you to be quiet!?"

The man looked confused at this new development but was smart enough to stay put.

"Look, we are just passing through, honest. This is yours if you can keep your mouth shut." Gavin tossed the purse to the man who clumsily caught it before opening the small bag to inspect the coins inside.

"Bad thieves you lot are... Who pays when they get caught." The man said as he stepped aside.

"Someone who doesn't want a scene." Gavin said and led the way out. It turns out they weren't in a inn or tavern, but simply a small storehouse where the man would sale wares from. Even better, despite him crying out, it seemed there was no one about to listen. Looking back to Kes Gavin pointed in the direction they should head off to. "This way."

• Yay
Kes rolled her eyes at Gavin’s assertion that he’d had a plan, but didn’t push it any further. They hadn’t died, at least, so that was already better than she’d anticipated things would go. She hadn’t recognized any of the meatheads in the sewer -- which meant that somehow information had leaked to one of the other gangs to be on the look for her (and possibly Gavin). Staying in Alliria was now certainly not an option, if it’d ever truly been.

She pushed herself to her feet, shifting her cloak and other armor back into comfortable positions as she glanced around them as well. A chicken coop, not exactly somewhere that she’d normally be.

She heard the man a second before the door opened, and reflexively her daggers were instantly in hand, stepping back towards the wall. It seemed a silly movement, except that Gavin had been treated to her … special talent when it came to hiding. She hesitated, however, because Gavin was there, out of reach, and so the man caught sight of both of them. The half-elf kept quiet, letting Gavin work his persuasive magic and get them out without much more fuss. Thankfully her cloak had fallen over her daggers, hiding the fact that she was armed so as not to alarm him anymore.

Stepping past the man, she smiled at him sweetly, murmuring an “oh, excuse me…” with those big, pretty amethyst eyes of her so bright and fetching….

They stepped into the street and Kes pulled the cloak of her hood back up, hiding her tousled black hair and pointed ears. They were, considering the situation, two of her most distinguishing characteristics, after all. Best to keep as low a profile as possible. Gavin directed them and she nodded, moving to head in said direction; though, before she did, she tossed something small and clinking to Gavin. It was a coin purse -- not the one he’d just given the man, but most likely the man’s own coin purse. A little diversion, the smile had been, just enough of one for Kes to use to her benefit. Well, in this case, Gavin’s benefit.

“Here you go,” she said cheerfully, then moved to head in the direction he’d motioned.

“Do me a favor -- no more sewers for like… the next century, okay? That was horrendous. I don’t know how I die but I’m pretty sure I’d really rather it not be via a sewage flood…”

• Yay
"Those hands never stop do they." He said in jest as she tossed the coin purse over to him. Wasn't as heavy as the one he offered up but at least he wouldn't be losing much now.

Gavin would tuck the purse away and take the lead down the near empty street, walking at a quick pace. He seemed to know exactly where to go, pausing for but a moment as a pair of guards rushed by and judging by the direction they were headed to, raced off to the markets. Jaenessa's distraction must have been in full swing at this point. Moving along the canal, Gavin began to move at a light run, the sloop left behind by his first mate coming into view. She wasn't a warship like his Roci, but the smaller vessel would be their ticket out of Alliria and serve them well.

Leaping from the street to the deck of the ship, the moment Gavin's boots hit the deck he was moving, checking the lines and then pausing to look up to a small ribbon set upon the top of the mast. Luck was on their side as the wind was blowing northward meaning he would not have to position the boat from where the bow already sat. Moving next to hoist the sails, his arms pulled at the rope, hand over hand before securing it in place with a knot. In moments the ship had been ready to sail and the pair would be ready to leave Alliria behind.

• Yay
Kes followed Gavin through the crowds, her cloak still fully over one side -- hiding the fact that she hadn’t quite let go of one of her daggers. It was mostly comfort, at this point, as she didn’t honestly think that they’d run into more gang members this far out. But she was nervous, and it was reassuring to her, an old friend who had never let her down and gotten her out of worse scrapes. She couldn’t think of any right now, but she was sure there was at least one. There was no way this was the worst situation she’d ever found herself in… hopefully.

They reached the small ship -- a lot smaller than she’d anticipated them taking, but she supposed it made sense -- and Gavin leaped aboard, busying himself with preparing the ship to sail. Kes, however, paused on the edge of the worn wooden deck, just the toes of her boots off the edge of it as she glanced over her shoulder back towards the city.

She’d never left the City before. She’d rarely been out of the Shallows, never really had any desire to. She knew these smooth stone streets, the patchwork wooden buildings, the way the sun dappled down and cast everything into sharp relief. She knew every path, every rooftop, every quiet nook to avoid a guard or eat a stolen treat in peace, and up until last night that’d been enough for her. She knew how to survive here; that wasn’t true once she got on that ship with him. Everything changed, then… If she didn't get on the boat, if she stayed here, maybe things could go back to the way they'd been, and she wouldn't have to leave.

The sails snapped as he found the wind, the ship creaking with excitement to go… and with one last sigh, Kes hopped nimbly from the deck into the ship. She couldn't forget what had happened and she doubted Drendor would, either. This was her only path, now.

“Off we run, then.”

--------------

The pennant attached to the spire overhead curled and coiled in the breeze, its shadow flicking rapidly over the wooden floor in front of the man’s fine leather boots. Squinting through the spyglass, he ignored the wind as it tugged on his perfectly groomed hair and fine pressed coat, the sunlight glinting off its golden buttons and trim. Lowering the long tube, he slid it shut with a swift movement, not looking at the heavily armored man standing to his right and behind him.

“Were my orders unclear?”

The armored man flinched. “No, sir,” he replied steadily.

The dark-haired man pulled neatly at his sleeves, settling his coat back comfortably around his wrist, not glancing at his companion. “Then, why, praytell, is our little thief currently sailing out of the city instead of being returned home, where she belongs?”

“There was a sighting, we thought it was her but it was a trick --” the man began, cut off when the gentleman flicked his fingers dismissively.

“Send word to your brothers upriver. They’ll have to stop at one of the ports along the way -- apprehend your sister and bring her home.”

The armored man inclined his head in understanding. “Yes, Drendor. And the man with her?”

Drendor turned back towards his view of the city, hands lightly resting on the balcony’s railing. Ahead of him was a tumble of roofs and peaks, interrupted by the silver twists of the rivers and canals that cut through it. He couldn’t see it anymore, but stared out in the direction of the strait, and the bay beyond, considering the tiny ship that he knew was making its way away from the city. A slow smile spread across his lips. It was funny, how this was all coming together… Very funny, indeed.

Perhaps he’d finally resolve some unfinished business after all...

“Bring him alive. We should thank him for taking care of my precious daughter, should we not? Yes. He should be… well rewarded.”

There was no escaping the cold shiver that ran through the air at the tone of Drendor’s voice, the man in the heavy armor keeping his face carefully neutral before nodding once more. “Yes, sir,” he replied, and then turned on his head to go.

Before he did, however, Drendor’s voice broke through once more -- “Tosk. Send Liev, too. He’s wanted to prove his worth and earn a rank among my mages. He can retrieve her, or die trying.”

Tosk hesitated, his hand tightening on the sword at his side, displeased with that directive. He knew better than to object, however, despite his reservations at tasking the young, naive magic-user with such a daunting task. It wasn’t a fair ask, and both Tosk and Drendor knew it… but orders were orders. Tosk hadn’t served Drendor for as long as he had without knowing there was more to Drendor’s train of thought than just wasting an otherwise useful body. He cleared his throat. “Yes, sir.” With a short bow to the elegantly dressed man, he turned and disappeared into the darkness of the building behind them.

Drendor raised one hand, laying it along his chest where there was nothing, a frown crossing his face as he did so. Of all of his children, he hadn’t expected this from Kestrel… She’d always been so obedient, so loyal… he had no idea what had gotten into her. And then, of all people, to find the pirate captain himself and employ him.

Well. Drendor hooked his hands behind his back, pivoting away from the balcony. This could end up being quite … useful, all things considered. Quite useful, indeed…

• Yay