Fate - First Reply Mastery of The Art

A 1x1 Roleplay where the first writer to respond can join
Character Biography
Link
Eberwolf stood clad in his arming doublet, his leggings and knee high boots. He had with him a wide variety of swords, swords he intended to master over the next few months. He, after the end of the Vampire War, and before he would take the seat of duke from his father, he had to train. The seat of duke only obtainable through a duel with his father, or a feat of skill in service to the duchy. His father had taken someone very precious to his brother in law from him, and now the only way to return said something was to take the seat of duke.

So he stood amid the Ring of Elder Stones, an old, very old, sacred place, where the dukes, and old tribal chieftains and their families trained themselves to perfection in the art of the sword. He was on a pilgrimage too, a pilgrimage trod by all dukes before him, a pilgrimage of self-perfection, in body and in mind. To know everything, without knowing it in mind, to abandon thought, and simply know. It was this that had allowed his ancestors to fend off the Vampires for so long, and what had allowed him and his father to finally vanquish them after four millennia of ceaseless conflict. Now, he was beholden to the ancient traditions of his people and his family. He would achieve perfection in the Art, he had to.

One meal a day, four hours of sleep, twenty hours of training. He did not expect the one who approached the Ring of Elder Stones, he expected to train in solitude for a year at least, not to hear another voice until one winter or more had passed. But there they were, observing or approaching him.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Lionel Armon
Observing... Yes, observing, as his kind was meant to do for some unknown reason... Watchers of the world but untouched by it...
He observed from outside the stone circle as the sun began its slow decline of late afternoon. A man who's every aspect was pure white, from his clothes and skin pigment even down to the silver of his eyes. He watched the training warrior that Lionel as of yet knew only rumors and hearsay about.

He was dressed as a noble, if the craft and care of his clothing wasn't indication enough of his station. A long coat was worn over a buttoned shirt and trousers, he wore fine linen gloves and gear for travel, all white. A silver rapier dangled from his belt to complete the look.
Pretentious? One might think so if only just meeting him.

He stood in the shade of one of the standing stones and observed, the albino lord making no move to interrupt the warriors training.
His purpose for coming here at all was to discern the type of man he was. Very few vampires of any standing didn't know of this man or his deeds, and fewer still spoke any higher of him than a begrudging respect. Hero of humanity, monster of monsters, murderer, widow maker, child slayer... Many more titles the vampires used as accusations against him...

Looking at him Lionel saw a person and all that entailed. Tenacious, cunning, devoted...

A Duke? A noble?... a "Man"? All this remained to be seen.

The standing Duke-in-waiting began his day as he always did, with prayer. He drew a mark over his chest with his thumb as his prayer to the seven gods of virtue ended. And he then moved to the stone table off to his left, which was adorned with many books, most being manuals of the man, many techniques for the sword, others were books of prayer, and more on philosophical nature.

He was called many things by the vampires, the one that his now eradicated enemies had called him was The Butcher. A fitting title. But he was not without morality, his chivalric code required him to be morally right. He had killed very few children, and only if there was no other option. And he did not hate vampires as individuals, only as a whole.

So he opened his first manual, and studied the scripts and illustrations therein, and picking up his longsword began to review the basic guards. Aware of but ignoring the stranger observing him, his pilgrimage must not be interrupted.

Devoted to gods, noted. Bound by duty, noted. He was intent to not allow himself to be distracted and normally Lionel would have happily obliged, as interesting as he knew humans to be he found that he often had little patience for further investigation beyond what he could discern by looking.
But Eberwolf Kinniger warranted further investigation and he wasn't learning anything from the sidelines.

As Eberwolf began training again Lionel finally stepped into the circle of standing stones and casually approached. His eyes followed the knight's movements and his form. Well performed, for a human. This knight would do wonders with an eternity to perfect his art.
As he drew close he timed his approach with the swing of his sword. He drew his rapier and intercepted his next swing at just the right moment. The ring of metal on metal reverberated off of the stones. "Pardon the intrusion, sir knight. But I couldn't help but notice your sword work, quite remarkable!"

He lowered his blade and smiled warmly at the young man.
"Again, I apologize for interrupting your practice. But I was curious if you would appreciate some live practice? It's been a while since I've met a true challenge, and you just might be the person to give me one."

As he drew close he timed his approach with the swing of his sword. He drew his rapier and intercepted his next swing at just the right moment. The ring of metal on metal reverberated off of the stones.

Not just the ring of metal striking, but the scraping sound of steel sliding against steel as the knight wasted no time in using the crossguard to keep the rapier blade away whilst he stepped in for a thrust, the tip of his blade mere centimetres away from the vampire's throat.

"Pardon the intrusion, sir knight. But I couldn't help but notice your sword work, quite remarkable!"

He did not lower his sword, but didn't move to threaten him further. "Many thanks sir. Might I inquire your name?"

He lowered his blade and smiled warmly at the young man.
"Again, I apologize for interrupting your practice. But I was curious if you would appreciate some live practice? It's been a while since I've met a true challenge, and you just might be the person to give me one."

With his blade now lowered, so too did Eberwolf lower his own. He thought a moment. Then answered, "I see no harm in it. I'm here to train after all. So do you know only the rapier? Or are you acquainted with other blades?"

• Smug
Lionel's reaction to the quick response of the knight of merely stopping the blade was to be impassive. By simply turning his wrist he could have diverted the tip of the sword away, but from one swordsman to another he knew there was no intent behind the thrust and therefore allowed the point of steel to deliver its empty threat.

"Many thanks sir. Might I inquire your name?"
"You might. My name is Lionel Armon, of House Armon, though I doubt you've heard of it. And unless I made a mistake, I believe you are Eberwolf Kinniger. I've heard much about you."
Even with their blades crossed Lionel seemed relaxed, so even as they lowered their blades there was hardly any change in him from the moment he approached.

"I see no harm in it. I'm here to train after all. So do you know only the rapier? Or are you acquainted with other blades?"
His smile reached his eyes and turned mischievous.
"The rapier is my weapon of choice as a noble for its elegance and grace as befitting my station, but if you have a preference I will wield anything you like just as well. It's no inconvenience to me."
Lionel has been "alive" for a very long time. His time on this world was filled with war and strife for far longer than this one or many of his ancestors have been alive. He's faced overwhelming odds and overcome them all.
To say he was "confident" in his skills with any sword, or any weapon for that matter, would be an understatement... But for merely being a foil for this young human he could dumb himself down a bit, even if doing so would be an insult.

In spite of his true age Lionel didn't appear much over ten years this knight's elder, a feature he could modify about himself if he so desired. But he decided to balance his sword skill in comparison to his projected age, which would be around his mid thirties.

"You might. My name is Lionel Armon, of House Armon, though I doubt you've heard of it.

"You are correct, I have not. Though I hope to remedy such ignorance." He said apologetically. "A pleasure to meet you sir."

And unless I made a mistake, I believe you are Eberwolf Kinniger. I've heard much about you."

This came as a surprise to the knight, who responded with, "I am he, yes. Though I was unaware that I had any reputation. From who and where have you heard of me, and what exactly have you heard? If you don't mind my asking. After all, rumours and gossip tend to exaggerate and disproportionate actual fact."

His smile reached his eyes and turned mischievous.
"The rapier is my weapon of choice as a noble for its elegance and grace as befitting my station, but if you have a preference I will wield anything you like just as well. It's no inconvenience to me."

He nodded, "it is no issue. I'm here to perfect my art and that includes against things as well as with. I have no preference, in fact variety is what I'm after."

Lionel has been "alive" for a very long time. His time on this world was filled with war and strife for far longer than this one or many of his ancestors have been alive. He's faced overwhelming odds and overcome them all.
To say he was "confident" in his skills with any sword, or any weapon for that matter, would be an understatement... But for merely being a foil for this young human he could dumb himself down a bit, even if doing so would be an insult.

Yes he may have existed since before his great grandfather, but he should not be so quick to underestimate the thorough training and vast skill of Kinniger Knights, who train for the sole purpose of slaying vampires in open combat. Mortals they may be, and his superior Lionel may be, but if he were to underestimate him on account of him being human, then he was in for quite the surprise.

• Smug
"I am he, yes. Though I was unaware that I had any reputation. From who and where have you heard of me, and what exactly have you heard? If you don't mind my asking. After all, rumours and gossip tend to exaggerate and disproportionate actual fact."
In some situations, such as speaking with vampire hunters, these questions would be traps. Vampire hunters are rarely famous or widely known except among the desperate, their own kind, or vampires. So for someone to know of the existence of a single individual hunter their knowledge would have to come from one of those three sources in most if not all situations. But this young man was a knight, not specifically a hunter with an organization but more like a devoted follower of an anti-vampire government, or something similar.

Lionel has dealt with hunters and people such as this about as often as he's been in war.
"News about the great vampire war has spread far and wide. And I understood that a man with your name played a significant role in that conflict. I have a professional interest in the creatures, a bit of a hobby of mine when I'm not dealing with statecraft, so I cannot reveal all of my sources. But I sincerely hope that what I've heard are no exaggerations."

"it is no issue. I'm here to perfect my art and that includes against things as well as with. I have no preference, in fact variety is what I'm after."
He took a few steps back and raised the straight elegant blade. "It appears we are of one mind. Try me then."
He stood with his back straight and his left arm tucked behind his back, his knees only slightly bent but hardly in a usual fighting stance, the tip of his sword permanently aimed at the heart of his opponent.
He didn't look like it, but he was prepared to attack, party, or dodge at a seconds notice depending on how Eberwolf approached.

The last time he judged a human based solely on their race was when he was only a hundred years old. That mistake nearly cost him his life right then and there. Now he knew the upper limits of what most people could achieve but some creatures, especially humans, seemed to always exceed expectations. If this man truly fought a war against vampires then Lionel was prepared for something extraordinary.

Lionel has dealt with hunters and people such as this about as often as he's been in war.
"News about the great vampire war has spread far and wide. And I understood that a man with your name played a significant role in that conflict. I have a professional interest in the creatures, a bit of a hobby of mine when I'm not dealing with statecraft, so I cannot reveal all of my sources. But I sincerely hope that what I've heard are no exaggerations."

Eberwolf was not fooled. He knew a vampire when he saw one, and while this one wasn't quite the same, he was close enough. So Eberwolf answered. "What you've heard probably are exaggerations. I always had an army with me during that war, so not all credit goes to me. But I am humbled to hear that I've been heard of."

He took a few steps back and raised the straight elegant blade. "It appears we are of one mind. Try me then."
He stood with his back straight and his left arm tucked behind his back, his knees only slightly bent but hardly in a usual fighting stance, the tip of his sword permanently aimed at the heart of his opponent.
He didn't look like it, but he was prepared to attack, party, or dodge at a seconds notice depending on how Eberwolf approached.

Eberwolf grinned. The rapier was a good weapon. One handed and yet very long. It's biggest weakness was that it's cutting power was severely limited, and there was a high chance of it breaking if it was attempted. His Principe sword on the other hand, was a two handed sword, a longsword with a triangular blade that while designed more for slipping between the plates in a suit of armour, it was a very good cutter too. So as far as weapons went, Eberwolf had the design advantage due to the variety of things he could do with his weapon.

But this was a vampire, undoubtedly stronger and faster than he, and that was definitely an issue, especially when coupled with so nimble a weapon as the rapier. He'd have to force him on the defensive and preferably disarm him very quickly. So Eberwolf took an aggressive stance, Wrath guard it was called, the blade resting on his right shoulder, ready to be flung forward with strength and hilt leverage to knock aside the opponent's weapon and/or hit them before he himself was hit.

Aggressive defense, and very aggressive offence could be done from this stance.

And so he waited a few seconds reading his opponent, before striking first, letting his blade swing in broad, lightning-fast arcs towards the opponent, aiming for the head, shoulders and arms.

Lionel let the knight attack first. Powerful attacks delivered with great speed, still at human levels but Lionel played the part he committed to.
He kept up with the attacks, taking the defensive as the slashes came at him one after the other.
He knew just how to block to redirect the attacks while also not breaking his blade. Blades were more like sticks in his hands, twigs, but they were useful and valuable in many cases.

He expertly parried the attacks, backing up and giving ground to keep an effective range for him to utilize his piercing weapon. Their blades clashed and Lionel absorbed the blows with the flat of his thinner blade while he caught their hilts together and forced a blade lock.
"Well done. I shall retaliate now."
He pushed Eberwolf back and immediately began his own assault, the tip of the rapier flashed in the light as it seemed to snake forward seeking blood, striking over and over like a cobra. He didn't aim for the head or torso but kept his targets to less damaging areas such as arms and legs, perhaps even his hands or wrists to disarm him quickly.
But even if he broke past the knights defenses the tip of the blade would not touch his skin, stopping mere inches before cutting him. Even if Lionel had an opening to cut is hand he would merely rap the flat of his blade numbingly against the knuckles.

The reason for not cutting him was a conscious one. Blood wasn't a distraction he needed right now. Besides doing so was hardly fitting for a friendly duel.

Their blades clashed and Lionel absorbed the blows with the flat of his thinner blade while he caught their hilts together and forced a blade lock.

His response to this was immediate, something that had often annoyed him about many, if not most, fighting foreigners, is that they stopped in the middle of a fight to say something, which was just really dumb. So he caught the blade of his opponent between his own blade and crossguard, and twisted with the intent to disarm. Even if he wasn't disarmed, it presented his blade tip to his opponent and he thrusted, very similar to what he had done when they had first met a few minutes before.

He pushed Eberwolf back and immediately began his own assault, the tip of the rapier flashed in the light as it seemed to snake forward seeking blood, striking over and over like a cobra. He didn't aim for the head or torso but kept his targets to less damaging areas such as arms and legs, perhaps even his hands or wrists to disarm him quickly.
But even if he broke past the knights defenses the tip of the blade would not touch his skin, stopping mere inches before cutting him. Even if Lionel had an opening to cut is hand he would merely rap the flat of his blade numbingly against the knuckles.

Eberwolf was not in any way slow, nor inexperienced, and he had faced vampires countless times. This man was much faster than most, not impossible to overcome, but it would be a herculean task to do so, unless he kept fighting with him over several months, in which case he would improve dramatically, maybe even pushing his human limits.

As far as human limits went, his limits were much looser than those of most, thanks to two millennia of evolution making his people simply better suited for war, and combat. So he could definitely improve more, but seeing the sudden speed of his opponents attacks made him doubt victory, the best he could hope for was a draw, which was considered a victory when against a vampire.

So his own defence would be adequate, though only barely, and that was clear. He narrowly avoided being touched by the blade each time, until at last he reversed his motion and stepped into a downward slash. Aiming for his opponent's head, he'd likely be hit, and the best he could hope for was a draw, but at the moment, it was his best option.

No anger at loosing arose though, it was a fair fight and honorable. So he felt no shame at loosing to such a skilled opponent.

• Bless
He was merely being cordial, but the knight tried to take advantage of the moment he took to politely speak. Their blades were locked but the knightling attempted a thrust anyways, a feint just as easily diverted as it is executed, by simply applying a little pressure to the base of the blade that his rapier did control he diverted the tip away from his face.

His retaliation went as stated. The human was certainly exceptional, even more so on his defense than he was on his offense. His reflexes were incredible, Lionel could even see how Eberwolf's senses kept track of his rapier while the humans arm struggled to keep up.

He allowed himself to be lulled into a pattern so that the human could reverse that pattern and counterattack, and he did so. Its execution could use some work but in theory it was well played, against a lesser vampire as Lionel pretended to be this would most assuredly be the fatal blow.
And so, since this was for the education of this human knight and also for himself he decided to grant the human the outcome his slightly desperate attack seemed to indicate he wanted.

He thrust forward with the rapier just as the sword came down at his head, trusting the human to be able to control his sword and hopefully avoid a messy situation, while the singing tip of his rapier lightly tickled the skin at the humans throat.
A stalemate, as he wanted.

The tip of the rapier had a keen edge, and at this close Eberwolf could tell it wasn't made of iron or steel, but closer to silvered weapons that he was most likely familiar with in regards to his profession.
Lionel grinned, a currently fangless grin as his silver eyes danced with amusement, "Well played. Well played indeed, Ser Kinniger. I can see why you were able to have so many vampires added to your headcount. And as an ennobled example of my race, how do I rate compared to those you've faced?"
We shall see...

Lionel grinned, a currently fangless grin as his silver eyes danced with amusement, "Well played. Well played indeed, Ser Kinniger. I can see why you were able to have so many vampires added to your headcount. And as an ennobled example of my race, how do I rate compared to those you've faced?"

“Those I’ve faced alone, you are far superior.” He said, his sword having been stopped only a few inches from the man’s head, “I might have faced someone of similar skill once or twice, with help of course.”

He moved his sword away. “So I would assume that the charade is to be dropped?”

He moved off to the side and replaced his longsword with a kriegsmesser, or grosmesser if you were from the southern half of his homeland, which was essentially a slightly curved, single edged longsword with a three pronged crossguard.

proxy.php

He stood there anencephaly asked, “shall we go again? If so, would you like to change weapons? There’s an estoc over there if you’d like to use a designated stabber.”

• Smug
Hmmmm, so powerful vampires exist in Arethil, though not so powerful that a human stood a chance of killing them provided the human has aid. During his time in Arethil he met only one vampire that might have come close to this level of strength, that vampire king with the blood stone.
Given time and training with a pure blooded K'i'ik'el a human such as this could certainly overcome such a powerful vampire.

He suppressed his grin which threatened to grow wider.
"So you could tell that I'm holding back? You are indeed exceptional for a human, I'll give you that. You have so much potential that it seems almost a waste to spend your short life towards a single relatively trifling goal... Of course that's an assumption on my part. Surely a man like you has other goals besides eradicating vampires?"

He lowered the tip of his sword and gave his opponent a salute with the blade.
He sheathed his sword and unbelted it, placing the white scabbard on the table.
"I do prefer my own blade... But would you allow me to wield your sword? My rapier is purified silver, a vampire killing weapon. To face you I wonder if you will allow me to fight you with the weapon of a warrior."

He suppressed his grin which threatened to grow wider.
"So you could tell that I'm holding back? You are indeed exceptional for a human, I'll give you that. You have so much potential that it seems almost a waste to spend your short life towards a single relatively trifling goal... Of course that's an assumption on my part. Surely a man like you has other goals besides eradicating vampires?"

He looked away and smiled, “yes, I do. There’s someone I intend to marry, now that the two millennia war is over, and mhm people secure. Once I’ve take notes the seat of Duke from my father, I intend to ask her. My days of eradicating vampires are, as far as I can tell, over. Unless more come to threaten my home, I have no intention of pursuing any vampires any further. But still, I’d rather be prepared for it, since a friend of mine is hunting for a very specific vampire, a vampire by the name of Jürgen Kaiser. And if word reaches me of his whereabouts, I intend to march all of my armies his way. But enough about that.”

He lowered the tip of his sword and gave his opponent a salute with the blade.
He sheathed his sword and unbelted it, placing the white scabbard on the table.
"I do prefer my own blade... But would you allow me to wield your sword? My rapier is purified silver, a vampire killing weapon. To face you I wonder if you will allow me to fight you with the weapon of a warrior."

He gestured to the sword, “feel free to utilize any of the weapons here.”

• Bless
“yes, I do. There’s someone I intend to marry, now that the two millennia war is over, and mhm people secure. Once I’ve take notes the seat of Duke from my father, I intend to ask her. My days of eradicating vampires are, as far as I can tell, over. Unless more come to threaten my home, I have no intention of pursuing any vampires any further. But still, I’d rather be prepared for it, since a friend of mine is hunting for a very specific vampire, a vampire by the name of Jürgen Kaiser. And if word reaches me of his whereabouts, I intend to march all of my armies his way. But enough about that.”
His smile softened. He was touched, even a man who kills monsters has a heart for a woman. And being the heir to a Duchy meant him and his spouse would be well off.
Jürgen Kaiser, that was his name. A self proclaimed king of vampires. A final head to add to his list as his crowning glory, wouldn't it be nice to tell that tale to a son? How his father destroyed a powerful evil... Lionel chuckled at his thoughts.
But as he said, enough of that.

Lionel picked up the longsword and buckled it on. He drew the weapon and tested its weight, gave it some experimental swings, tested its sharpness and the strength of the steel before sheathing it again.
"A fine weapon and a fine goal. I pray that you will live to watch your children grow into fine men and women."
Once more he stepped back a few paces and took his passive stance with sword drawn. Already he held the weapon with intimate familiarity. House Armon's general skill in martial prowess coupled with an eternity to train made them a powerful force in his homeland. Lionel and his brother were both masters of the sword, with Lionel having the edge, but for some reason neither of them could ever get their sister to become proficient with the sword, her preference lay in magic and she was one of the most powerful magic users ever to exist back home.
But ever since their arrival to Arethil it's as though the rules of magic had changed, they were now magical infants which affected his sister immensely.

But this wasn't important, he came to learn of this young man.
He stood at ready with the sword pointed at the ground. Once more he deferred to Eberwolf to begin.
"Since I assume you're here to train allow me to offer some advice. Work on your counterattack and try not to use it as a last resort. You did well to break my pattern last time but a skilled fighter wouldn't offer his head on a spike so easily."

Lionel picked up the longsword and buckled it on. He drew the weapon and tested its weight, gave it some experimental swings, tested its sharpness and the strength of the steel before sheathing it again.
"A fine weapon and a fine goal. I pray that you will live to watch your children grow into fine men and women."

The lonsword, he’d see, was not made of steel, at least, not the usual kind. It had some kind of magical property, not quite enchantment, more like it was simply more in touch with magic, a very specific kind. He’d be able to guess that a vampire’s swift healing would not be so useful in surviving a blow from such a weapon.

The way it was made, was that the bones of vampires were set to burn, and they melted iron ore and silver ore together, more iron than silver. And the alloy that resulted was something they called silversteel, a metal that was ancient in origin, unique to the Kinniger Duchy, and highly lethal against the supernatural, especially vampires, their most hated enemies.

Eberwolf chuckled, “well, I haven’t asked her yet, and she already has some children, adopted. So I imagine that good men and women they will be. And I thank you for your wishing me well.”

"Since I assume you're here to train allow me to offer some advice. Work on your counterattack and try not to use it as a last resort. You did well to break my pattern last time but a skilled fighter wouldn't offer his head on a spike so easily."

“So you were letting me off easy. I imagine I couldn’t learn a great deal from you, if perchance you’d be willing to tutor me.” He said with a chuckle. “Thank you for the advice, and I’ll take it to heart.”

So Eberwolf stood there, his kriegsmesser held in front of him, his approach a little more cautious than before. The thing about the kriegsmesser was that it was a heavy hitting weapon while remaining nimble, and it’s three guarded crossguard was designed for grappling. So there would be a bigger emphasis on disarming his opponent, not so much as hitting him first.

And again, he went for a strong, downward cut towards his left shoulder, when blocked he’d use the crossguard to catch the blade and twist it from his opponent’s grip, he didn’t really expect it to work, but he wasn’t exactly going to not try.

• Smug
It was an interesting blade, while he couldn't guess its exact construction he could sense the silver and enchantments in it, this was a vampire slaying sword, different from his true silver blade that he uses against vampires but similar.

“So you were letting me off easy. I imagine I could learn a great deal from you, if perchance you’d be willing to tutor me.” He said with a chuckle. “Thank you for the advice, and I’ll take it to heart.”
He nodded, "I'd be honored to teach you a few things."

This time Eberwolf came at him with a downward swing, but instead of blocking the heavier weapon head on he smoothly sidestepped and slapped the kriegsmesser downward in a single motion with the flat of his blade and immediately followed up with a counter attack to the knights now unguarded shoulder, but remembered to move only as fast as his role would allow, and so Eberwolf would have time to dodge or recover his blade to block.

He had to be wary of these weapons... But this was nothing new. Even his own rapier had the potential to kill him and he was used to wielding such dangerous materials on a daily basis. But still, silver had a property that instantly paralyzed himself and his kind, even diluted by iron, and this human had the potential to spring something unexpected on him. Caution was the name of the game, as always.

He nodded, "I'd be honored to teach you a few things."

Eberwolf nodded appreciatively. "Many thanks."

The deflection was no issue. He simply brought his blade around with a simple wrist motion and knocked his opponent's blade off course in a similar way to how he had, and he brought his weapon across to catch the longsword as he had before, on the crossguard. And he twisted to push his opponents weapon away while at the same time bringing his blade up to cut at the vampire's head.

• Popcorn
The ringing of blades echoed around the clearing and bounced off the standing stones. Lionel managed to keep hold of his sword but he was still left open to the blade of his opponent as it aimed for his head. While he was pleased that this human had confidence in the skill of his opponent, to dare such fatal blows in a non-lethal sparring match, in the name of practice it was poor form all at once said that he didn't care if he killed his opponent even in so innocent a situation.

As the blade streaked towards his face his ire was raised a little. He ducked under the upward slash which brought them back to where they were a few seconds ago, with Eberwolf's shoulder vulnerable to attack once more.
But Lionel didn't attack the shoulder again, instead he reached out and caught the wrist of the swinging arm just before it reached the apex of the swing.
The grip was harder than iron but he remembered to scale back his strength to fit his role.

"I can see why you practice alone, Ser Kinniger. Not many comrades survive your training sessions it would seem."
He smirked and released his grip on his wrist and stepped back. The tip of the longsword came up, once more at the ready.
"You are skilled at killing, this much is obvious and understandable given your occupation, if you don't kill first you will be killed. But it takes an even greater amount of skill to fight and win without hurting or killing your opponent."
He settled down a bit and shook his head.
"Forgive me for laying down some ground rules. For your sake it would be better if you don't strike me down accidentally or otherwise... My family and my household will most certainly seek retribution should such a thing occur. And please understand that is not a threat, I'm sure your own people would do the same."

But Lionel didn't attack the shoulder again, instead he reached out and caught the wrist of the swinging arm just before it reached the apex of the swing.
The grip was harder than iron but he remembered to scale back his strength to fit his role.

He had more than one hand, the hand that was gripped released his sword hilt while his other brought the sword up to threaten his gut. He had enough strength to stop it, and it did stop before it struck.

"I can see why you practice alone, Ser Kinniger. Not many comrades survive your training sessions it would seem."
He smirked and released his grip on his wrist and stepped back. The tip of the longsword came up, once more at the ready.

He chuckled, "no, most people do survive in sparring matches, the swords I practice with aren't as sharp as they should be for that very reason. It would have hurt sure but I doubt you'd have died."

You are skilled at killing, this much is obvious and understandable given your occupation, if you don't kill first you will be killed. But it takes an even greater amount of skill to fight and win without hurting or killing your opponent."
He settled down a bit and shook his head.
"Forgive me for laying down some ground rules. For your sake it would be better if you don't strike me down accidentally or otherwise... My family and my household will most certainly seek retribution should such a thing occur. And please understand that is not a threat, I'm sure your own people would do the same."

He nodded, "understandable. Very well, I shall endeavour to avoid hitting you."