Private Tales Malison Breaker

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
“Lesson number one. Do not apologize to fae. It implies you owe them an apology debt. There’s nothing to be apologetic for; they died and I have new parents. Well...” He stopped talking suddenly, his back to her. Ehlark lifted the rag, the sound of water dripping into the bowl strangely mixing with the sound of her clothing sliding off her shoulder in the silence. “I would hope you can bathe yourself,” he added abruptly, changing pace quickly. “You look like you’re grown and that bite looks worse than it actually is.”

He grimaced and leaned in to inspect her shoulder. Touching the rag gently to the wound, he squeezed a soft sluice of water that began to wash away the blood. It couldn’t feel good and her shirt was going to be soaked. It was ruined and ill-fitting anyhow.

“Because my father says you are a guest and it wouldn’t be proper to let a guest in our home suffer untreated.”
Even if that guest killed a member of their family, Ehlark added silently to himself. He reminded himself it wouldn’t be the first time they had shared wine with people they hated.

He dampened the rag again before reapplying it to dab away the blood. His long, narrow hands were caring, soft and free of calluses as he pulled her shirt aside. There was a soft whirring sound as the aperture of his gold prosthetic eye constricted.

“Why did Fengli bring you here?”
he asked, his tone casual. Ehlark turned back to the basin to rinse the rag and kept his gaze carefully averted.

• Yay
Reactions: Skyler
She shuffled that information silently away.

Do no apologize.

She gulped and clenched her teeth as he worked. Fingers curled into her thighs as she remained quietly seated in front of the elf. She decided not to point out that he'd threatened to bathe her earlier if only because he smartly agreed that she could do it herself.

She was no child.

"A guest," head shook, her tone clear she thought that a joke and didn't believe for one second she wasn't anything other than a prisoner. "You tell me. She...she demanded my younger brother's life for the one she lost," the one Skyler had killed, "and I took his place. I only asked that she kill me outside, so he wouldn't see. Instead, she brought me here. So forgive me if I find it hard to believe I'm something more than a prisoner walking to the gallows."

• Devil
Reactions: Ehlark Haoqi
Ehlark listened in silence, his eyes set on his task. But he paused and looked over his shoulder at her. A confused crease set between his brows. Or was it alarm?

"Fengli was going to take your brother and you volunteered yourself instead," he clarified. It was a statement and not a question. Dropping the rag in the basin, Ehlark turned and looked her over with a deepening frown, one hand braced on the vanity, the other propping up on his hip.

"Fengli wasn't going to kill your brother." He shook his head with a bout of cynical laughter and picked up the rag once again. He muttered a string in Faerie while the water dripped and carried it back to wipe away the last of the blood. "Noble of you to take his place, but you just volunteered to be our new brother. Or sister, rather."

• Scared
"What?" She whirled and hissed as she turned too quickly. Eyes snapped up to Ehlark's. "I didn't..." she assumed Fengli was going to kill him in revenge. Going to kill her. Well, there was still plenty of time for that to happen.

Even if she'd known, though. If she'd let her brother be taken instead, it would've killed her mother. Well, or her mother would've killed her.

And she couldn't have known.

The stories her people told about the fae. About them. And this opulence that she was faced with now. She didn't trust one ounce of it. And if she did trust it, then she'd have to look more closely at what she'd done. That small voice, that whisper was quickly muzzled and pushed deep, deep down.

She pulled away from him suddenly and stood, tugging her shirt up over her damp and cleaned skin.

"I can't stay here. My mother, my brother. They'll die without me." Fengli had known as much. Taunted with her as much. "We don't live like this," hand waved around at the opulence. "That food," she whirled and pointed to the platter of fruit beneath the window on the desk. "That's more than we see in a week. If we're lucky."

She didn't know why she told him. Perhaps because she was tired and angry it slipped her tongue. Perhaps because it could've been her brother here instead of her. Cleaned. Watched after. Well fed. Then again, this place certainly wasn't safe.

• Yay
Regardless of how he felt about her at the moment, Ehlark was patient. He stood back, plopped the rag back into the basin, and propped a hand on his hip. She continued and he looked around the room when she gestured. He was quiet for several moments, then sighed.

"Look, I get it," he began gently. "Really. I do. I remember being afraid and confused and missing my old home. But they are halfway across the world now. You were prepared to die, and they probably think you did. This world and that one must always remain separate, even when a crime is committed. Just…" Ehlark sighed. "Just try not to dwell on it too much today."

Bad advice and he knew it. As if sent by the gods to rescue him from issuing bad advice, there was a gentle rap on the door. Opening, two identical faces peered in. They wore gentle smiles on their pale features, matching green eyes the color of lily pads sweeping in unison to the human girl. They were wearing matching robes -- white skirts embroidered with violets, sage green sashes, and short cyan jackets. They folded their hands and bowed deeply. At the backs of their heads, half of their long white hair was pulled up to form matching styles shaped like butterflies.

"Honored guest," they said together. They picked up two large pots behind them and brought them across the room to fill the wooden tub with steaming hot water. As she emptied her basin, then first turned to Ehlark. She said something to him in Faerie, and he responded in kind.

"I'll be back to finish tending to your wound after you've bathed." And with a polite bow of his own, Ehlark left her to be his aunts' problem.

The aunts bowed as soon as the door closed.

"Please, come and wash. The Lord is expecting you for tea."

"You will want to look your best. We will help you dress."

They both busied themselves setting down bottles of soaps they conjured out of air before they stepped back and adjusted the privacy screen. Though they turned their backs to offer her some privacy, they didn't leave.

• Scared
Her jaw tightened. He didn't understand. Not really. But she wasn't putting him off as not being an ally. Perhaps eventually. A wary gaze to the two fae as they entered.

Of course she didn't trust any of them.

It didn't make sense. If she was on the other side of the world, why had that other one been hunting there as well? Why had he been that far? And why had he tried for food so far when he had all this? As she saw more and more of this place it only brought up more and more questions. Ones Skyler would have to bottle deeply inside.

Skyler bit back any objections to the bath or her wonder at their...magic. She quietly tugged her dirty clothes off. The boots too and slipped beneath the deliciously warm waters. More appalled at herself for finding some pleasure in it.

When was the last time she'd had a warm bath?

When she was finished and smelling like lavender and something else her nose couldn't place, she quickly stepped into an awaiting towel, hunkering behind that privacy screen that seemed way too thin. A frown drew along her face as she noticed her pile of clothes gone.

"Will they be returned to me? And lord?" She swallowed. Were they dressing her up only to execute her in front of him later? The warm breeze from the window blew gently across her wet skin.

• Yay
The twins waited patiently for her, standing side by side and only bending to whisper softly to one another in their foreign tongue. They only turned around when Skyler stepped out of the bath and addressed them.

"Your items will be mended and set aside for you here in your room."

"New clothes will be made for you."

"Our niece must look her best, even at home!"

They giggled to one another, but it was a sound of joy rather than condescension. Bright green eyes turned back in unison.

"Lord Ialels. Our brother," the one on the right explained.

"You father," the one on the left added. "Now, allow us to assist you."

Each of them held out a hand to guide her back to the vanity where now there was a neatly folded pile of clothing. Unabashed, the pair thoroughly dried her before taking away her towels and urging her to sit.

"Ehlark said he would return, but we will take care of you."

"Our nephew is kind, but he need not worry himself."

Together they bandaged her wounds and cleaned her nails. They dressed her in their strange clothing, layers of soft linen and silks that billowed away from her form like mist. Though they had changed places enough to confuse which of the identical women was which, they softly explained each layer for her so that she could (hopefully) dress herself independently in the future. Laughter was never far away, and they often exchanged a shared look of excitement.

The garments they dressed her in were long and flowy -- perfect, they ensured her, for a young unmarried woman like herself. The skirts began over her bust, a soft blush pink and embroidered with birds and flowers across her chest. The long-sleeved blouse was a gentle seafoam, the flower motif continuing across its back and over her shoulders. It was all ethereal and flowy, just like the twins', but much, much fuller and more finely made.

They set Skyler down at the vanity seat once more to style her hair and look over her face. While one brushed, twisted, pinned her hair half up and away from her face, the other meticulously trimmed her brows between twisted threads until they were shaped fashionably.

At long last, the pair deemed her fit and motioned for her to take a look in the vanity mirror. They tipped their heads in unison to have a look her over themselves as well. She was a very pretty creature, even if the fashion showcased her rounded ears.

After a moment of silence, however, their happy smiles wilted. For the first time in her presence, the pair looked somber.

"it has been an eventful day of much change for our niece," the first said gently.

"Would you like a moment of privacy before going to meet with the Lord?"

• Nervous
Skyler felt color stain her cheeks as they dried her. She didn't think it was worth fighting it. She didn't really have the energy to. And a part of her bitterly thought, good, let them see the skin and ribs. The easily bruising of her skin from malnutrition. Even though she was proud of the little bit of muscle she managed to keep just from her providing for her family.

She could see her stubborn wet hair already begin to curl upwards, never wanting to ever be straight. Her pale brown eyes, pale like liquid honey with tiny flecks of gold lifted in the mirror as they tugged and pulled on that rebellious hair of hers. Dressed her.

She winced as they threaded her brows and grumbled like a grumpy, wet meadow cat.

"Is that really necessary?"

Now she felt like a freshly plucked chicken perhaps ready to be served up for dinner.

But Skyler recognized their kindness. Even as her heart raced beneath the new clothing that felt like a silky-soft embrace. Lord, father?

She found her head shaking in the negative as she tore her eyes away from the stranger staring back at her from the mirror. The clothes still couldn't quite hide the sharp lines of her bones and cheeks, her thinness. Even as she swallowed the lump that was threatening to rise in her throat as she thought of her father. The one who died when she was little, leaving her to fend for her mother and younger brother. The man she'd respected and loved out of all of them. The one that had understood her the most. The one whose death she never quite got over.

The pain just dulled over time although there were still sharp days.

But wait?

No.

She'd go mad if she did.

"No, I'm ready," Skyler managed and stood, teetering in those clothes as she tried to get used to their feel. The swish around her legs. These two were nothing like the stories. The fae that preyed on humans and were nothing but cruel. They'd been...eccentric. But kind and gentle. Mostly gentle. And they'd been the first ones that hadn't quite shown a cast of judgement across their faces. At least, for now.

She'd follow them out, trying to keep herself from gawking on the way. Those bloodstains she'd left were already wiped away and she had to wonder if that's what would happen to her. Would she be erased?

• Bless
The aunts bowed in unison to her decision. They opened the door and ushered her out into the hall. Taking the spiraling staircase again, they led her much the same way out as she had come in.

Returning to the garden, the same regal cwn was seated once more by the pond. His tea and writing utensils were untouched at the moment, however. In front of him Ehlark sat on his heels with his hands curled into fists on his knees. His father was signing to him, but when he saw the girl and his aunts, his eyes slid over and a look of surprise replaced the hard lines of a stern expression. His father took note and turned to look as well before making a small gesture.

Ehlark rose and met Skyler and the aunts before they reached the pond. He immediately took stock of her.

"You've dressed her shoulder." His tone was annoyed, but soft. He gave his aunts an exasperated look.

"You were talking to your father." "Your sister is modest." They both answered together, the words jumbling together. Ehlark drew a long breath and released it with a shake of his head.

"Just as well. Come. Father is ready to speak with you." He held out his hand before realizing she probably wasn't keen on the idea of his etiquette. His hand dropped awkwardly and he turned to walk beside her. The aunts bowed and began back toward the house, leaning in to giggle and whisper to each other the entire way.

"Be polite. Do not raise your voice and do not fidget," Ehlark instructed quietly as they walked. He had set a slow pace and stood close, his voice hardly more than a breath. Their family had incredible hearing.

Lord Ialels sat still and silent. He was writing on a silk screen, his hand guiding the brush to make exact, smooth strokes of deep black ink in columns beside a depiction of a white dog loping between magnolias. He did not look up from his work and Ehlark knelt on a cushion across from him, touching the one beside him for Skyler. The elf waited in silence as Ialels finished the line of text he was working on and gently laid the brush on a stand beside the ink.

When he looked up, he surveyed Skyler for a moment before he raised his hands to sign. Ehlark bit back a grin.

"He says you look very pretty but our fashion does not suit you." He watched his father's hands and translated as he continued. "My sisters think of style first and comfort second. If it would make you happy, I will make sure that your wardrobe includes more articles similar to those that you wore here."

Ialels paused for only a moment to let his changeling finish translating. Ehlark glanced to Skyler before he began again. "My name is Ialels Gheye. This is my son, Ehlark Haoqi. What is your name?"

As if that comment might be received with alarm, Ialels preemptively held up a hand of pause. His smile was soft. Ehlark smiled also.

"It is safe to give your full name. You are with family and nobody will use it for ill here."

• Cthuulove
Skyler was grateful for the slow pace. She was still learning how to wear...this. She pushed down her nerves even as she approached this new fae. From her experience with the cwn already and the stories she'd been told growing up, she'd expected claws and sharp teeth. Menacing eyes.

Instead, she was in front of a peaceful lord. One who observed sharply. He'd noticed her gait. How she moved in those new clothes. And it slightly unnerved her.

Don't fidget.

She wanted to turn her head and glare at Ehlark. It was like telling a leaf not to blow in the wind.

"Skyler," she quietly admitted. Not like she could protect her family by lying about her name. They already knew where she lived. "Skyler Pantheon."

An uncertain gaze between Ehlark and Ialels.

"Why are you being so kind to me? Aren't I a prisoner here?"

She didn't mean to be so blunt but she was. She was never good at finessing things. It made for a great trader in the markets but a poor diplomat with her mother.

• Bless
It was somewhere in the moment between translating for his father and her answer that Ehlark realized he hadn’t asked her before. Neither had he offered his own name to her. Shame and embarrassment, a warm scarlet, washed across his golden features. His father’s steady look was telling enough, but he made no remark. Instead, he nodded approvingly at the name she offered.

Her question, however, was met with a contemplative pause before Ialels raised his hands once more. Ehlark watched his father unerringly, but there was a lapse between his signs and his son’s translation.

“Fengli intended to bring your brother as penance for the loss of my son, but you have taken your brother's place. In doing so, you are now my daughter, repaying our family for the life you took from us. Though you cannot return to your mortal family again, you are not a prisoner here. You need not fear us or anyone else in this place. This is your new home.”

Ialels paused while Ehlark caught up, but his eyes never left Skyler. There was a slight crease between his brows and he finally looked out across the pond, the first clouds of grief casting a shadow across his pale features. He sighed deeply and sat up straighter. The look was gone.

“I expect you are very confused,” Ehlark continued as Ialels did also. “If you have any questions, I will gladly answer them. But you will be afforded time to adjust.”

• Love
His son.

That dog she'd killed was this one's son. But he'd been trespassing. About to go after the only deer her family had seen in months. But she still felt...felt something as she saw that flash of grief on his face. Even if she was hesitant to trust his words, about not needing to fear them or anyone else in...wherever this was.

Her family thought she was dead anyway. Skyler had expected she'd be killed. So never seeing them again?

Could she live with that?

And she had to wonder if there was another way of contacting them. He hadn't said anything about not being able to send letters. She'd ask that later. Maybe later.

"Adjust?" Ashy-golden brows scrunched together. "Adjust for what? What will I...will I be doing here and where is here exactly?" She'd go mad if she was just expected to be dressed and walk around like a doll all day. And maybe she should've just bowed her head and thanked him and walked away. Not push the questions. Get out of his sight before he changed his mind about what she'd done.

But once again, Skyler couldn't help it. And for the first time, her honeyed eyes flickered to Ehlark uncertainly before settling back on Ialels.

• Bless
Ialels nodded. Adjust. She would have to, and there was a lot to be adjusting to. This was, perhaps, one of the most difficult realities of her new life, however. After this boulder dropped on her, the rest was going to be easy to shrug off.

Well. Most of it.

Ehlark let his eyes shift from his father to his new sister. She looked afraid. Frail. Confused. He looked away first, his gaze dropping before drifting back up to his father. This wasn’t the same as how he had come into the fold. He doubted there would be many members of the household having this same conflict between pity and anger; their family was very stubborn, even among cwn, and she had hurt them all greatly. It was a vicious cycle that had been going around for millennia between mortals and fae... but it had never touched their family before.

There was no more time to dwell on that just yet, however. His father signed and he faithfully continued his translations for Skyler.

Everyone in this family has their role -- no, their purpose,” he relayed as his father corrected him. “If you do not enjoy being idle, then we will find you an occupation that suits you. You’ll be taught etiquette, the basics of our culture, and correct any misinformation you may have learned about the fae. You are fae now -- a Haoqi. Our family name is respected in both Courts, and you will be held to the same standard as the rest of your siblings.”

A higher one, Ehlark added to himself. He, more than anyone else, knew how hard changelings had to work to stand equal to their fae siblings.

The elf stole a glance at Skyler and signed to his father. The two exchanged a few words, blatantly exploiting her ignorance to converse privately for the moment. Finally, Ialels sighed and nodded. Ehlark bowed forward on his cushion before turning to Skyler. He spoke gently.

“Do you have questions, or do you want… do you want to go for a walk?” Ehlark was trying. He waved his hand as if the gesture would help him reel in the words he was searching for. “Or you can return to your rooms if you would like privacy before dinner? Is there something else that would help you clear your mind?"

• Thoughtful
Eyes of pale gold widened. He said she wasn’t a prisoner and she was part of this new...family. A family that certainly had members wanting to kill her. And she wasn’t allowed to return to her old life. To a mother that had never cared about her. And a little brother she loved dearly.

And learning etiquette? Things about the fae...her jaw clenched. But she didn’t say anything.

“No more questions,” her eyes settled on her new ‘father.’ She’d have to learn to sign. Sooner than later. And she was tired but...she doubted she could rest.

Her back stiffened at the look on Ehkark’s face. He was struggling to be around her. Did she blame him? Anger was easier to take than pity.

“A tour of the grounds,” she stood suddenly, managing to tip her head to Ialels. Albeit awkwardly. Even his gentle demeanor didnt erase the mistrust in her eyes. The wariness that she’d learned in her village.

And she managed not to trip and fall in the long, fabric she was wearing. When they were out of hearing distance, she’d turn suddenly to the changeling.

“Am I safe here?” A blunt question.

• Cthuulove