Making art with a old paperback style

jthorenzart

Hi all,

I am a fantasy/scifi illustrator, wanted to share my current style with you guys, Its going for a 1980's paperback look. Being lovers of fantasy I feel like you might get a kick out of it. Also if you want to discuss your favorite classic book covers I think it would be cool to share.

two examples of my Vintage work can be found on my website- https://www.jthorenzart.com/vintage-1#/nurble/

As for sharing I Just found out about Frank Kelly Freas and I have fallen in love with his work.
proxy.php

• Yay
Reactions: Maude
Oh, nice! I definitely have a love for the old art styles of the 70s and 80s paperbacks. There's something incredibly powerful about them that I don't see in a lot of more realistic art styles for covers that have become something of a trend lately, or more abstract covers. They all sort of lack the same sort of punch of the vintage style. Sadly, the bulk of my favorites are all sci-fi, so this perhaps is not the board.

However, I do really like the older covers of Elizabeth Moon's Paksworld books:
1610903307777.jpeg
proxy.php
proxy.php

• Yay
Reactions: jthorenzart
Totally agree with you, definitely more of a graphic design esthetic going around. Oh please feel free to share your SCi-FI covers, I am always looking for new artists to be inspired by. These covers are very cool, I have a thing for forest snow scenes. Thank you for sharing =)

Recently discovered J Allen ST John and I love his use of fading the background out in this one.
1610927335474.png