Fate - First Reply Let the Good Times Roll

A 1x1 Roleplay where the first writer to respond can join
No, they never did, but that did not mean that they could not be afraid. No matter how powerful, smart, or mysterious a single person was, they would always succumb to the might of many. To the might of the Dreadlords.

It really did not matter, as it seemed that the being would stay out of this business, leaving Alistair to complete this matter.

As he moved forward several runes lit up across his clothing with arcane light. When Alistair reached out and grabbed Gerard by the scruff of his shirt, he displayed a level of strength that did not match his lean frame.

Gerard pathetically slashed out with his own blade, but Alistair was too quick. With no need to prolong this showing any longer, Alistair rammed the dagger into the back of the man's neck severing the spinal column and instantly killing the man.

The large lifeless body plopped to the floor before Alistair turned back to the only other living people in this room. Only a slight splattering of blood was flecked across his cheek.

"Well, I am glad we could get through that with ease. Sorry I had to bring you along Aeyliea, but I really was in a hurry. I was on a tight schedule...and I figured you might enjoy that."

Aeyliea

She stood unruffled by the brutality and the lethal efficiency on display. She looked at the body on the floor for a moment, then looked back to Alistair.

She shook her head in response. "Two years ago, it would have been a start."

A start. The circumstances would have been different, though; the two of them would have been on different sides of the fight, and the number of bodies would have been much, much higher. For both sides. She looked to Traveler, who was standing now. They did not cut an imposing figure at all, shorter than everyone else in the room. Whatever the source of their confidence remained hidden; the leather-clad sorcerer carried not even the threat of a first-year initiate about them.

They bowed to Alistair, and then the dead man on the floor. "Such delightful hospitality," they murmured to themselves. "Pity they knew nothing of the Elders that were."

With that Traveler turned around and walked out of the room in a pall of silence. It was only after they had gone that Aeyliea noticed the pall of dread their presence evoked. By its sudden absence.

"Vexing," she said of the now absent sorcerer.

Alistair watched the enigma go his magical eyes watching the strange signature leave. It was clear that being practiced magic, and a decently strong version of it, but he was not aware of exactly what. He certainly had enough confidence that it would be shocking if he weren't strong.

He sheathed his blade before turning back to Aeyliea, happy to see that she seemed less tense with the Traveler gone.

"Yes, very strange...He won't be finding anything about your Elders if he is asking Anirians, no matter how close they are to the Savannah."

Vel Anir's magical understanding was extremely modern and basic. Even if they found something on the Elders, they would find out how to use it for military purposes and then no longer look into it.

A real shame.

"These Elders, they are the dragons you referred to, correct?"

Aeyliea

"The Seven," she said. She was looking the way that Traveler had gone with something inscrutable in her eyes. "The Seven are dragons. They are not elders, they are what your people would call gods and goddesses."

Why now? Why would Traveler let slip some fragment of what it was they were looking for now? She had been employed by them for a year and scarcely knew more now than she did back then. Why let it slip in front of her after being here at this place and this time?

Just another mystery without any ready solution.

"What was it that the mayor," she started, then looked at the body on the floor. "...former mayor have been doing, talking with the others in the Sea of Grass?"

Alistair did not want to bring up their earlier conversation and his belief that gods just did not go and die. However, dragons in their own right were impressive and sometimes garnered worship from some communities.

But, they could be killed just like any man. In fact, he had a friend that made it a hobby of hers to kill dragons that thought themselves unkillable.

"Gerard was guilty of illegal smuggling in supplies through the city and keeping all of the profits for himself, also letting in things that are highly regulated in Vel Anir. Not to mention using a few of the tribes to get rid of his political opponents by letting slip when they would be passing through certain areas. Along with a whole list of other crimes, but...nothing inherently magical that I can think of."

Aeyliea

She cocked her head to one side. Magical things were important to her employer, but she had a feeling that it was not artifacts or arcane knowledge that they sought. The ever-present shadow in her head had quieted since the initial display of magic from Alistair.

"I do not know. We have been circling the edge of the desert and the savannah for months." She shook her head. "Well, whatever he did means nothing to me. He would not have been dealing with my kin, regardless. Not more than once, anyway."

She turned and started toward the door from the room. "Can we get drunk now? It smells of dead man in here."

Almost like a switch being flipped, the serious and professional Alistair reverted back to the smiley and kind merchant that he had been when they first met.

"Of course, I could use a drink. However, drinks will have to be on me tonight as I believe the city will still be pretty chaotic. Tomorrow things may be under control."

He stepped into rhythm next to her as they began their journey out of the mansion. Many people were still running around with no idea of the two dead bodies that would surely be found at some point, but by then it would not matter.

"Maybe I will find what your master is looking for, first, just to spite him," Alistair responded jokingly.

Aeyliea