Private Tales Lessons in Life

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
"It is known that this noble has a small standing army, and given his position relative to his neighbors, he holds a choke point between natural barriers...perfect defensible to any invading army..." Otto began, slowly pacing about the garden like a lecturing school teacher. "But he holds no hostilities to either you or his other neighbors...in fact, I dare say he may find it appealing if you made known to station troops upon his land...it may be seen as an occupying force...a notion that may be useful for an opportunists...particularly, an excuse to invade...that is, if the intention were made to be known..."

Otto glanced briefly over to Myrcella to ensure her attention, before continuing his pacing.

"You have done well to question the security of his land...such questions can reveal motives from him and potential aspects to exploit....but here in lies one of your first lesson's when engaging in negotiations, never forget that you are negotiating for yourself and your people..." Otto abruptly stopped, now making eye contact with the young Bochanan. "... you try to take home as much of the pie as possible...because it will benefit not just yourself, but your subjects...always wonder and question relative to your own realm...humanitarian care for your neighbors is all well and good, but never lose sight of what your realm needs; for if you cannot take care of your people, there is no helping others..."

When Otto was sure he got the point across, he continued to pace, looking back to the ground. "Again!...Focus on the trade agreement and again I will ask: what is it you should be asking when he brings you a set of terms for trade?"

• Sip
Reactions: Myrcella Bochanan
Myrcella thought that she was answering the questions wisely and well. But after a moment she had realized that she was wrong. Her intentions were to have a quick message whenever an invasion force was coming to her lands. At least this way her own armies would have a first response near their lands instead of after their walls were breached.

Now she was made to see the other side of the coin; that instead that small presence could spark a conflict. Myrcella didn't want that.

She looked to Otto von Stehlen as he held her gaze. Even in the gardens he was still tall and imposing. It would probably take her years to gain that kind of composure. Yet she didn't really have that long.

And now it was her turn to speak again. Myrcella cleared her throat a little before starting. "I would want to ensure that our food stocks were always full, especially in the winter. And given that it is fine artwork that they want, than the food quality will have to be high." Was it enough? She wasn't certain. But more than likely Otto would let her know.

• Wonder
Reactions: Otto von Stehlen
"Nice touch on the painting..." Otto was referring to the artwork piece of her conclusion. Better make things more interesting, it'll make remembering this later easier. The real test was how she would do under pressure...but that part came later...

"Good questions overall, you are now moving towards the core of this particular discussion; the benefits of mutual trade." Otto's pacing continued, meeting eye contact with Myrcella every once in a while to ensure for her continual attention. "Trade does simply mean the bargaining of goods, but of information, of favors, of actions...giving and taking to sustain one another...with an overall profit expected of both...yet at the end of the day, you must be willing to push the conversation towards what will benefit you and your the most, what the limit your opposition is willing to relinquish in return for what you have. Make every coin count in a negotiation...further questions to ask is what the average market value is of your stock...and what your oppositions is asking...if they cannot pay in gold, what else can they offer...which leads us to another lesson; opportunities."

Another abrupt stop, it was starting to develop into a bit of a pattern, as Otto's eyes narrowed. "Within our previous scenario, what opportunities can you list off? I'll give you a minute to compile your thoughts."

• Popcorn
Myrcella never lost her focus or concentration. This was all very important to her and her future. It'd be no good to allow her mind to wander.

Her brows rose as Otto von Stehlen asked her to compile a list of opportunities. More than likely he was asking in regards to the benefits of her own house. So of course she spent a moment in silence as she thought it through.

"Well...they border an enemy, so I could gain knowledge of my enemies' movements. And if my enemy also has less fertile land to use, I can ensure that my house has the bigger share of what is available. We also breed fine horses and can offer a couple of stallions for stud. I'm sure those would be tempting. And we could possibly rent part of their lands to reep our own crops." Myrcella felt herself starting to ramble. So she stopped.

• Popcorn
Apprenticeship was not necessarily an out of place concept for the Count. There was always the possibility of assassination, be it from some upstart organization or a nation larger then the realm. A target on his back, certainly never made for a dull moment. Otto knew that those protecting him were among the most capable, and he had been capable enough to root out the infection before it became crippling. But even that was no guarantee, lady luck was always a cruel mistress. It was always as such, even at the beginning of his career, that Otto had planned for that eventuality.

His siblings were masters of their own crafts, but that meant less time devoted to rule. After all, it was why he took to the head of the household...a sacrifice that few in this world knew about, or even cared. Thus it was the system itself that had to be made resilient, not it's rulers. Many so-called commoners were integrated to the chain of command, all with an understanding of their jobs and directives in the case of his unfortunate demise, people that Otto had to bring up from nothing. And as such, were the Count to fall, his realm would keep ticking. Stability and sovereignty, concepts championed since the formation of the realm.

It was such things ran through his mind, as the Count watched the young Bochanan rattle off. It reminded him much of the first day of any one of his staff members, fumbling about trying to find a specific answer to any one of Otto's question, despite the fact that there was no "specific" answer...

"Is that all?" Sounded rougher then it actually was, but it was necessary pressure, as Otto's gaze focused on Myrcella. "...And do you feel confident in any of these opportunities...or rather, do you feel confident in exploiting any of these opportunities, even at the detriment of your neighbor...and his people?"

• Yay
Myrcella sat up straighter as Otto von Stehlen questioned her further. Was that all? She bit her lower lip in thought. Surely she wouldn't marry off her sister to them. Although that could potentially combine the two lands, her Mother surely had other plans for her. "From what I can think of at the moment; yes."

Otto pressed even further with more questions, ones that seem to make her look towards the ethical side of things. But what else could she think of besides her own house prospering? "Yes...I am confident in doing so."

A thought arrived in her mind then, pertaining to her betrothal. What if this was what her late Father had meant in his decision? She was to be his connection to a neighbouring country; one that they could easily be at war with. And here she was trying to find some way out of it so that she could marry someone else. So was she being selfish? Probably yes.

Myrcella swallowed a lump in her throat. Well this was depressing. She looked up to Otto. "Would you marry off one of your siblings if it would benefit your house?"

• Popcorn
It was somthing that Otto could with ease, at least this early into her political career. You could tell, weather that be in her facial expression or her words; she was unsure...hesitant in her responses...perhaps a good thing, if they were qualifying her as human.

When the young Bochanan suddenly became bold and asked him a question...a question that caused the Count to abruptly stop what he had been doing to simply look at her. The man knew the question well...contemplated it too...and it was quite obvious to him the answer...

They say monsters are created on the battlefield...but one would seldom thinks about the realm of politics and bureaucracy. Apathy and cutthroats existed were twice the deadly weapon...both morally and physically.

The Count, uncharacteristically maybe, sauntered over to the young Bochanan...before leaning in to say his next piece. His eyes so serious it could easily drill a hole through her...he would tell her the truth...

"Never...so long as I live and breath..."

Those who managed to come out on top with their values stood out among men...even if they must stand alone at times against the status quo, even if they had every knife and pointy objects aimed at his back.

He knew that feeling well, he could see it on her face; it was no different then he first took up the mantle of "Count"; he had been ripped away from a life he had known and enjoyed...worse yet it was the people he had to leave for the sake of it...a sacrifice that he and he alone had to make for his family...so that his siblings would have the freedom from the freedom he had been allowed to neglect when he was younger...

It may have not been down to the letter, but the two had more in-common then Myrcella could every know...that much was clear from his eyes...his eyes which at first glanced appeared deadly serious, had given way to empathy.

This would be one of her final lesson...when she was ready.

"It is true..." Otto said in a quiet but stern voice, as he stood up stright. "...there will be times will you will be dealt out the worst of hands...you may never be able to change those cards...but you can change the way you play...you can change what you play for..."

The Count slowly turned around, hands behind his back, and took a few steps forward...particularly near the exit...before turning his head, but looking to the ground.

"It is best that you figure out where you will draw your line for yourself...or else you will become open to exploration...from opportunists...or from your own guilt..."

• Love
Myrcella stared back at Otto von Stehlen as he neared her. His gaze was serious and stern, but not deadly. She was still quite intimidated by him, yet at the same time she felt as though he held some respect for her.

As he gave his answer to her question, she nodded in appreciation. Otto wouldn't marry his family away. Myrcella wished that her late Father was of the same thinking. No doubt he knew that her Mother Gwendolyn Bochanan could potentially disagree with her arranged marriage, which could explain the secrecy behind it. Yet all the reasonings for it died with him. Myrcella had only one other avenue open to her; she had to ask Richard's Father about it herself.

She listened to Otto's parting words. If anything, it gave her a lot to think about. "I will...Thank you..." But what line could she draw? How could she play the game differently? It was just so difficult to try to figure out at this moment.

Time was running out though. If only she could run away with it. But that was just a childish dream. Myrcella had to face this head on. No matter what.

• Yay
Reactions: Gwendolyn Bochanan
There was a brief moment of silence between the two...as Otto allowed the moment for her words to ring true...no doubt she had a lot to reflect upon, but that was part of the learning process....

"Be careful of who you trust...be careful of who you doubt...that goes doubly for yourself...." The Count said, his gaze still away from Myrcella. "...you will make mistakes...but if you learn...if you continue to fight...in time, you will surpass everything you initally believed of yourself..."

Eyes now stright forward, standing to attention with his hands behind his back, Otto's expression had hardly changed since he had spoken to Myrcella....and it still hadn't change. Yet perhaps it was the way he gazed up to the sky...contemplating...or was it reminiscing? There was certainly more to the Count that he let on...why else would he have bothered with the young Bochanan?

But that was a story for another time.

"Come...the others are no doubt wondering where the two of us are..." The Count said abruptly, before moving back the way they had came. "...I've been away from my work for too long..."

Despite what might have seen to be a brief conversation, it had lasted a little over an hour. The sun was now climbing further into the sky...and the commotions of the after party were beginning....

Life had decided to beat Gwen down with one blow after the other. First, her late husband. Second, her son disappearing. And if only Celty would get her act together and quit being a rotten brat. Truly, she would've expected Myrcella to be more upset than Celty - poor girl was forced into an arranged marriage by her late father, after all. An arrangement that Gwen had not been informed of.

Gwendolyn stared at her reflection as she carefully applied a light touch of makeup. Perhaps she wasn't the mother she always thought herself to be?

The Lady of Bochanan stood and used her gentle hands to clear the wrinkles in her dress. The click of the heel of her shoe nearly echoing in her empty bedchamber. She was healing and knew she would recover. The extr work she had taken on to ensure the Estate and its holdings were being kept up to the highest standard. But, she missed the ball, but from the sounds of the night, it seemed like Myrcella Bochanan had succeeded in hosting the ball. She was her prodigy, her only hope now.

Speaking of her daughter - where in the Gods was she? "Myrcella," Gwen called in the halls as she walked about, occasionally stopping only to discuss the clean up plans, the horses, and something about taxes. Truly, Gwen wasn't in the mood for all the questions so early.

"Oh, there you are, Myrcella, I was looking for y--" she said with glee as she finally caught her and Otto von Stehlen coming back into the halls from the garden. A quick motion of her hand informed the maid to leave her. "Oh, Count Von Stehlen," Gwendolyn curtsied politely as a show of respect. "A pleasure. I hope my Myrcella has not been a bother," she said with a smile - not that she could ever bother anyone, to begin with. Oh, at least 1 of 3...

Myrcella nodded as Otto von Stehlen gave her more advice. She was sure to take it to heart and perhaps one day she'd be just as bold a leader and intimidating as him, as well as her Mother.

As he beckoned her to follow, Myrcella did just that. She hurried to her feet and made her way to his side, clasping her hands in front of her and matching his pace. She held her head a little higher than before. Gaining knowledge had a way of instilling pride in one's self.

It was then that she came across Gwendolyn Bochanan . Myrcella smiled brightly at seeing her out and about. "Hello Mother. The Count was just giving me a lesson in politics." And life too. She'll need it when she is sent to live in Elbion. "You look lovely." Anything to make her Mother smile. She gave her a hug and then stood at her side.

"Lady Bochanan..." The Count said, almost gruntly, when Lady Bochanan had made her abrupt appearance. However, the Count did give a respectful bow at her presence. She was the current acting head of the household, as far as Otto could see.

Lady Bochanan seemed to be a lady in many aspects, perhaps one may even call her an ideal lady...if one were to bid by traditions of the old. Stronjlanders tended in favor of progress...in whatever form it came, be it technological or social. Now that he thought about it, his sister had shown a considerable level of restraint for this particular event...

"This one has been persistent, to say the least..." The Count turned and glanced over to Myrcella, his signature indifference on his face was still intact. It might have taken more getting used to, but one might get used to Otto's hard gaze after a while...as he looked back to Lady Bochanan, adjusting his posture. "...but I suppose it will work in her favor one day...she learns fast, if nothing else..."

It was the hope, anyways...you could never to be sure with these things...if Otto had learned anything, it's that lifelong plans generally don't work itself as smoothly as anticipated...too many external factors involve.

"Regardless...I take it your feeling a bit better...Lady Bochanan." His attention, now on Lady Bochanan...again, there was that level of indifference in his look...it might have been described as icy by strangers...they don't call him the "Grim" for nothing.

Gwendolyn smiled as her daughter her daughter hugged her. Naturally, she hugged her favorite child back. As she stood at her side, Gwen reached one arm around her shoulder while one hand gently held onto her other arm. "I am glad you have a tutor. Elbion is... A place of full of intrigue." Her own eyes showed thanks to Otto von Stehlen. Gwen had lived in Elbion for most of her youth and teen years. It had most definitely changed, but she remembered seeing the political schemes that occurred.

What would she do when her daughter moved and married? The same ole' same ole', she assumed.

Gwen's attention turned back to the Count - her smile still wide. "That is my girl," she commented sweetly as she squeezed her gently. "She is extraordinarily talented. I hope you find her to be an utmost attentive mentee." She couldn't help but beam with pride. A compliment from the expressionless Count was always something to take a win for.

"I am, yes. Thank you and I do apologize for missing the ball last night. It sounded like it went tremendously well." She let her daughter go with one final squeeze. "I hope I did not interrupt, but I have some tea being made in the parlor - would you both like to join me? I would love to hear about what all Myrcella Bochanan is learning and hear more about your triumphs, Count von Stehlen."

At least her Mother was in a good mood. Everyone was worried about her, though such worries were often unspoken. There was just so much going on in recent weeks that everyone was still trying to grasp it all.

Myrcella listened as Otto von Stehlen spoke about her. She fished through his words, searching for any hidden meanings unspoken. Maybe later when she was alone she'd revisit the conversation in her mind and find it.

The hug from Gwendolyn Bochanan caused her to smile. And as always her mother peddled her out to the guests. And in this case it was the Count.

"I'd love for some tea. And perhaps I can start on a painting thereafter. It's a great payment for my lessons." Otto liked her paintings well enough. It might even interest him to watch her work.

Again, the Count's expression barely shifted whilst gazing at the two. He really did rather get back to his paperwork...but still, if it made a good impression, it might have been worth some value to accept the invitation. Both of them also were rather insisted....

"I suppose I could spare a bit of time..." The Otto bowed his head, looking first to Myrcella before to Lady Bochanan. He'd have to catch up on his paperwork on the ride back home then. "...alright...there is merit in discussing the performance of your daughter...then if you will, please lead on."

Whatever happened, the Count would follow not far behind...walking in somthing of a casual and commanding manner...though walking at an arms distance away. The Arch-Count had been looking at the walls again, his gaze passing by a few paintings...before they landed once more on the mother-daughter pair.

"Lady Bochanan...I don't suppose you have seen my younger brother this morning? Baron Von Stehlen? He should be clad in black armor..."

Karl had only recently accepted the title of Baron...although admit, it changed very little about his status, even among his own people. The big man was a knight, first and foremost...him being a Baron was only a matter of formalities...but apparently, titles were important for some...

Gwendolyn smiled at her daughter once more. She accepted her offer for tea and then mentioned painting. She chuckled quietly. "I will ensure you some form of compensation, although my Myrcella is quite the artist." Oh, if she had talent like that. Her life may have been entirely different than what it was.

Even Gwen couldn't read the Count. His eyes showed no emotion and his expression rarely changed. Nonetheless, she did what she always did with guests - assume the best! There was no point in worrying about him. He'd accept her offer or not, and while she hoped he would, she wouldn't have taken it wrong.

She clapped her hands once with a smile. "Excellent. Let us go," she replied as she began to lead the two to the parlor. "Yes, I do agree, Count von Stehlen." She replied as she led them through the halls of the estate. Right before entering the parlor, where two servants opened a rather wide door, the Count asked about his brother.

A man dressed in black armor? She paused for a moment as she thought. "I do not believe so? I will ask a servant to find him, however," and she gave a nod to one of the door holders. "Come," she replied as she held her dress up slightly as she settled on a chair, her hand waving the Count and her daughter to the chairs beside her.

Otto von Stehlen Myrcella Bochanan

Myrcella smiled as Otto von Stehlen wanted to discuss her lessons to her mother. However did he guess her full intentions? That of trying to find some way out of her arranged marriage? No doubt Gwendolyn Bochanan wouldn't like such a contract btoken, especially as they were unaware of what deal was reached between the Henry's and the Bochanan's.

She followed along anyways, curious at the mention of Karl von Stehlen . Myrcella hadn't seen him either, at least not since the ball. But there was no doubt that she'd be seeing him again before he left to go home.

She settled down next to her mother, keeping her back straight and lacing her fingers on her lap. "It'll be pretty quiet here once everyone goes home. I think that I prefer the distraction of having others around."

"There is no need for compensation; I have more then enough to be content with..." The Arch-Count didn't see much point in the compensation, he was one sovereign teaching another...not that he cared, but it might have sent the wrong message in some circles. And the truth of the matter would have been he wouldn't have known what to have done with any compensation. There wasn't much he brought out of luxury...the family manor was testament to that. "...it is also rather a...joy...to inform upon your daughter...so I suppose that in itself is it's own reword."

What made the last sentence all the more jarring was the way he said it. The words were sincere, yet it was said in the classical monotone of our dear o'l Count. His expression was not contributing towards evening the tone he had just set forth.

Regardless, the Count took his seat, adjusting himself slightly before gazing back at the two. Specifically at the young Bochanan, whom had just spoken her mind. Now the Otto would speak his.

"Take that opportunity to reflect on yourself...young one...opportunities like those do not come often...and you'll miss it when your life becomes hectic..." Otto said it like he knew about the arrange marriage, yet if he was to be asked, it would have been the first time he heard of such a thing. His face was once again misleading his intent, looking at both with such indifference that either was no doubt accustomed to by now.

Smooth hands brushed the sudden crinkles in her dress out. With a small sigh, she gave Myrcella Bochanan and Otto von Stehlen a smile. One hand raised as she motioned slightly before lowering her arm. A servant from across the room began to walk over.

"It will be quite," she said quietly as she gave her daughter a weak smile. Once she is married and in Elbion, she wondered if Myrcella would still prefer the life of balls and social events and the like. Her life was about to become much more fast paced than her life here. In some ways, Gwendolyn wasn't sure what she would do when Myrcella left. Celty was a brat, and barely talked to Gwen. Gunnr was missing.

Ah, there was no point in feeling sorry for herself. Gwen gave a nod to Arch-Count's decisive 'no' for compensation. And it brought him joy. Gwendolyn gave a small smile. "Then let me profess my appreciation for teaching my daughter the ropes of the life... She is about to lead."

The servant arrived, bowing slightly as he poured three cups of tea. "Excuse me, sir, how would you like your tea, Arch-Count?" He asked Otto. He already knew Myrcella and Gwendolyn's tea and so Gwen reached to grab her tea - but politely waited for Otto's tea to be ready before sipping.

Myrcella was quite certain that she'd paint Otto von Stehlen a little something before he was to leave. However it would need to dry on his way home. Oils always took a while to dry.

She maintained her poise while Gwendolyn Bochanan and Otto spoke, but inside her mind was going over every word and imagining a bunch of scenarios. Not only on what her new life could be like, but also on what things were going to be like here when she was gone. Hopefully her Mother would remarry some day. That was what usually happened, wasn't it?

Myrcella took her tea and held it on her lap to cool, her fingers wrapped carefully around it. No doubt her own wedding would take place in Elbion. Her family would be there, but then they'd have to return here. Richard had already told her that she wouldn't be able to visit the Bochanan Estate much and that had made her want to escape the betrothal all the more. "You'll come to visit, won't you?..." Myrcella looked to them both, her question being directed to the two of them.

"Plain is just fine..." Otto said, not even looking up at the servant, instead moving his hand up to, resting his face between his thumb and index finger. It was only when the servant had given him the tea, did he glance up for a moment, speaking a quiet yet somehow stern "...thank you."

The Count took the tea into his hand, sitting much like how he did earlier in the morning. But even with the beverage, Otto's attention had been focused on the two in front. They did not speak much, but he already had a rough idea of what they were both thinking.

It was in moments like these that made Otto feel like the choices he had made some two centuries ago all the more valid. To be able to think about his own family and be able to see that they had a chance to craft out lives on their own. Karl and Llyn were both doing fine work on their own. Not only engaging in being productive citizens of the Confederation, but finding somthing worth while outside of it all. Even as the Arch-Count took his first step out of his tea, his mind wandered back to when Karl had first asked him for advice on a rather intimate matter...

"I am rather busy most of the year..." The Arch-Count began, his eyes glancing first at Lady Bochanan, before focusing on her daughter. "...but Elbion is one of our major trading partners...I wouldn't think it be too uncommon for me to have to personally pay Elbion a visit...and while I am in town, I could...check on how well you have been progressing in your new...position."

One could already see the dates being moved around and singled out in the Arch-Count's brain. Indeed, though some liberties would have to be made, it was certainly a possibility...as Otto took another sip of his tea in contemplation...

The servant nodded as he handed the tea off to Otto von Stehlen. "You are most welcome, Arch-Count," the servant bowed deeply. After that, he returned back to his initial station. Mostly waiting for the group to finish tea so he could clean up or if they wanted refills as well.

Myrcella Bochanan immediately tugged at Gwen's heartstrings. Come to visit? Why, of course she would. But the weak smile on Gwendolyn's face betrayed her own pain of her daughter being married off and no longer at home. "As much as you will have me," she whispered. Her free hand reached out to gently squeeze Myrcella's.

She cleared her throat - and successfully held back the urge of tears.

She imagined the Arch-Count would be busy. He was successful, powerful, and an amazing member of the Confederation. Gwendolyn smiled as the Arch-Count agreed to visit Myrcella.

"See, my dear? You will never be alone."

• Love
Myrcella finally sipped her tea, straightening her shoulders more as Otto von Stehlen said he'd visit her. She could use his expertise of course. Not to mention a somewhat 'friendly and familiar face'. It was just too bad that her mother couldn't move away with her. "Thank you. I'd appreciate any moments that you could spare for me."

She turned to Gwendolyn Bochanan as her Mother squeezed her hand, giving her a grateful smile. "I'll be sure that you'll have the most glorious rooms to stay in. Especially if I eventually get my own house." But she couldn't imagine what everything looked like in Elbion, especially with being among a bunch of different races. What was the culture like there?

"I will create some beautiful paintings of where I will be sent to and have them brought here. And I think that I shall paint a few of our home here to take with me, so that I can look upon it whenever I'm homesick." Myrcella sipped her tea, knowing that she'd be homesick. But how busy the courts in Elbion would keep her, she had no idea. Nor did she know how quickly they would want her to produce heirs. That would surely take up some of her time too.