Private Tales Into The Shadows

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

alphabunny

Rou Stonewall
Character Biography
Link
Rou had ran for her life, her last job gone terribly wrong she needed to flee. Bleeding and tired eventually she found herself in the dense forest outside of Alliria. The sun had set and finally, she felt safe...well as safe as one could feel after escaping near death. All she had on her was her bow, arrows and the small amount of coin she managed to grab on her way out.
With the little amount of energy she had left, Rou built a small fire to keep herself warm during the long night ahead. Resting her back against a body of an oak tree Rou removed her weapon and cloak. Pulling out a dagger from the strap on her boot she cut her pant leg open on the thigh, exposing her wound - trying to her best to conceal an agonizing scream from leaving her lips as the blade passed her cut.
"Fuck," Rou groaned as she lifted her leg to elevate it onto a stone. Treating it would have to wait, the cut was deep and now that she finally sat down she did not have the strength to stand once again.
So there she would stay and rest, looking into a crackling fire until dawn came.
Kaige Severos

Gods, but he was exhausted.

Though the demon had put up an admirable fight, Kaige had won in the end. His black body armor was slick with blood, including his own, but he had won. After sealing the Infirm, the demon hunter left the labyrinthine maze underground, emerging into a dark sky littered with stars and moonlight. His horse waited for him tethered loosely to a tree, nickering worriedly as he unhitched it and climbed atop its back. All he wanted then was food, a drink, and sleep in a soft bed. Fortunately, according to his map, Alliria was not far.

The forest seemed silent at first, but as he rode on the music of the night came to. Crickets and frogs and the occasional owl sang back and forth, and the trees swayed gently to a soft breeze. It was heaven to Kaige, tired as he was, used to the roars and snarls of monstrous beasts and vile demons… and his own screams.

The sky was growing light as the sun began to rise, peeking tentatively over the horizon, ready to cast a brilliant fire over the forest canopy. The stars were beginning to dim as the moon set in the west. Kaige sighed, realizing he might have to sleep in the wilds after all. He strained his head forward, hoping to catch sight of the city. Instead, he found the glow of a small fire. He urged Stormwind into a canter, hoping the camper would have information on how far the city was, and perhaps might trade some food for coin.

“Hail,” Kaige said as he rode up beside the fire, trying to sound healthy and energetic. “Might you know…”

The smell of blood hit him hard. The rest of his words faded as he saw the wound. “My gods. Do you need help?”

• Smug
Reactions: alphabunny
The night was quiet so far, well as quiet as the woods could be. Sleep eluded Rou as waves of pain hit her periodically. Then the head the sound of hooves. At this hour, it was most likely only one thing. Unfortunately she had no fight left in her at this stage. Her best hope was that it was a lone rider and her aim was true. Rou reached for her bow, fighting the shooting pains in her leg and knocked an arrow. As the rider came into view she drew back.
To her surprise his first words seemed casual, friendly - but she was no stranger to fake plesantries.
Then his tone would change as he saw her injury.  Great. Now he knew she was basically defenseless. Rou moved her arrow to aim straight for his heart as he spoke. "No," she replied, her tone sharp and laced in warning.
"Now move along before I let this arrow fly." Her eyes glinted with seriousness in the light of the fire.
Kaige Severos

Most men would have balked at the sight of the arrow leveraged at their chest. Indeed, most would have acquiesced to the woman’s clear demand to be left alone. But Kaige was a different sort of man, and his dark green eyes traced first the woman’s aimed weapon, and then her wounded leg. Rather sluggishly, it was still bleeding freely, a welcome invite for infection which often led to deadly complications. For a moment he was silent, weighing the situation.

He shrugged and turned, as if intending to leave. It was a wise decision.

Then he leaped. He vaulted into the air, twisting above Rou as if in flight. A flash of silver followed the spear he unleashed from the bandolier at his back. With a savage outward slash, he smacked the flat of its blade against the bow, disarming the injured woman without damaging the weapon itself. In an instant, Kaige was behind her, his spear resting lightly on her shoulder. The long blade of the spear touched her neck, cool and dangerous.

“Now look here,” Kaige said, his voice tired but still pleasant. “I’m offering to help. I know a healing spell that could save your life. Now you can pick up your bow and we can play again, or you can slide it away and I will do what I can to fix you up.” He paused. “… I’m not a renegade or thief. Your business is your own and I won’t ask questions. What do you say, milady?”

alphabunny

• Smug
Rou followed him with her arrow as he made to leave but it turned out to be a trick and in a flash she found bow on the ground and a blade against her throat.
She swallowed hard as he spoke his next words, much to her suprise they did not request coin or other material objects.
Rou had two choices now, most likely die fighting off the stranger  or win by some miracle and die by infection if she was to weak to travel in the morning.
The half-elf let out an irritated groan, placed her hand on her bow and pushed it further away. "There, and I do not need you magic." It was safe to say her ego was beyond bruised. Two defeats in less then twenty-four hours. If word got out, it would not be good for buisness. She felt the blades pressure release from her neck.
"So what are you? Some kind of circus magician?" He might have said he would refrain from asking questions, but she made no such promise.

Kaige Severos

Last edited:
  • Cthulu Knife
Reactions: Kaige Severos
With a wry smile, Kaige loosened his death grip on the spear’s handle. Releasing the lady from the spear’s promise of an untimely demise, Kaige spun it around in one hand – an admirable show of dexterity – before using the haft to nudge the bow farther from her reach. She was at a complete disadvantage now, but even so he watched her as he stepped around the dwindling fire. He had made ill judgements before and had learned never to assume another’s apparent vulnerability.

At her own assumptions, he only grinned. “A circus magician? My lady, you wound me.” He gestured to the blood-slicked armor he wore. “Does this look like a jester’s outfit? Although I suppose it has seen better days.”

Staying close, he gathered a few sticks, twigs, and broke some heftier branches off the trees, piling a good bundle near the fire for tinder. He knelt by the hungry flames, poking in few sticks to build the fire’s strength before speaking again.

“I’m a demon hunter. Kaige Severos, at your service,” he said. He pointed to the horse. “That’s Stormwind, also known as ‘Go Faster Damnit’.” He smiled, then lifted an eyebrow at the woman. “If you don’t get that leg patched up it’ll get infected. You’ll die, probably slowly. I can’t do much once a fever sets in.” He tapped his chin as he pretended to think. “Hmm… letting you die? That’s not me at all. No, that won’t do. Now, I could knock you out, and heal you while you’re unconscious. Or you could accept my offer like a good girl.”

alphabunny

• Dab
Rou repositioned herself so that her back was against the large oak tree behind her.

She gritted her teeth in pain before replying, "It is more the man then the outfit that gave you away."

As Kaige began gathering things for the fire, Rou used the temporary distraction to creep her hand into her emerald cloak that lay at her side. Subtly she felt around for the hilt of dagger and wrapped her fingers around it, her throwing knife would have been better but it would be beyond obvious and quite painful for her to reach into her boot and grab it.

She watched her new companion silently. Kaige had obviously already decided he would be sharing her fire with her this evening, not much she could do about it now though.

At the demon hunters introduction Rou could not help letting out a huffed laugh when it came to the name of his stead. Then he went on about her eminent death she could not help but let out a groan, this time out of pure irration, followed by an exaggerated roll of her eyes.

"Firstly Kaige," she spoke his name as if it were poison on her tounge. "Do not call me girl and secondly," Rou winced in pain once more, "I can help myself just fine thank you, all I need is some herbs. So now you may take leave, I am perfectly capable of doing all that I need on my own."

With this she moved her hand from the daggers hilt. Rou made an attempt to stand up and prove her point but as she placed pressure on her wounded leg, a built up, agonising scream finally escaped her lips and Rou's legs gave in beneath her weight. With a loud thud, she landed on the forest floor.

She looked now at the demon hunter, most likly satisfied with his victory. Her eyes narrowed at him, his face illuminated by the dancing flames between them.

"Fine."

Kaige Severos

• Cthuulove
Instead of laughing, a concerned frown passed over Kaige’s face as the wounded rogue fell to the ground. He was at her side in an instant, his spear left behind the fire. Carefully, he manipulated her leg so that it was held out straight, with the injury in clear view. The fire, fiercely hot, illumined the view. The sight was ugly and Kaige’s frown turned from concerned to deeply worried. He reached into his boot and withdrew a simple hunting knife. With this, he cut away the cloth around the wound, peeling away the ends from the laceration.

“Just lie still,” he ordered. “Don’t talk and don’t interrupt me, please.”

He set the knife aside and placed his hands over the wound. He bit his lip. A moment passed, and then a dim, blue light emanated from his hands, growing in intensity until it was as bright as the crimson shine of the fire. The burning sensation radiating from the cut flesh slowly faded into a soothing cold. Slowly, the bleeding, aggravated by her carelessness, stopped.

Kaige grimaced as if in pain. “Aahhh…”

The fresh, wet blood surrounding the wound seeped back into the body. The light from his hands pulsed, and sliced muscled fused. Then the skin, bit by bit, laced together, solidifying and sealing. The cold faded into a more pleasant warmth as all that was left of the wound was a sickly yellow bruise.

Kaige removed his hands. His brow glistened with sweat. Unsteadily, he stood, staggering back to his place by the fire. He collapsed to the ground. He had already used the healing spell twice today; three times in the space of a few hours sapped the remaining strength from his body. He hugged himself for a moment, shaking from the chill that settled in his bones, and glanced at the woman, managing a grin.

“To be honest… I suck at magic. Heh. You can kill me now… it might feel better.”

alphabunny

Rou did as instructed and remained at still as possible. She watched intently as Kaige cut away the remaining cloth around her wound with care. He had a gentle air around him, one she would not expect from someone in his chosen profession.

Her eyes grew wide as she watched the light leave his hands and it took her fighting every instinct not to draw away. As the bleeding calmed and the wound closed, Rou's pain faded alongside and eventually came to an end. Bending forwards she examined where there was once a deep cut but now a mere bruise, Rou was in awe.

She pulled her gaze away from the simple mark to look once again at Kaige, he was tired now, weak even by the looks of things.
"I may not be a women of honour, but it would be down right wicked for me to kill a man who just saved my life," she gave him a brief once over, taking in the full state of him now. "With what seemed to be a cost to his own well being."

He himself was most likely battered and bruised aswell to say the least. His attire covered in blood and his body tired, looks as if he himself had also had a long day. "Thank you," her tone was genuine.

With her leg once again in working order Rou stood up and pulled on her cloak. It was now her turn to gather more wood for the fire. "I unfortunately nothing to offer you besides a warm fire this evening."
Every now and then she would lean over and pick up some stray twigs and the occasional larger branch.

Kaige Severos

Kaige didn’t really think the woman would stoop so low as to kill her benefactor… but it was still a relief to hear her affirm that thought. Not that it would have been an easy task, but healing was extremely taxing for the demon hunter. Exhausted as he already had been, the woman likely could have done it. Kaige was glad to see that, though obviously stubborn and keenly suspicious, she at least had some morals and ethics. Leaving someone to die didn’t suit him,but dying himself didn’t suit him either.

He was disappointed she didn’t have any food, though more than that he wanted to sleep. He managed to gesture to his horse. Obediently the dappled blue trotted forward, nickering softly as it nosed Kaige’s uplifted hand. He stroked its long head, murmuring reassuring words before raising his voice to speak to his healed patient.

“If you look in Stormwind’s saddlebag there might be cheese and some dried meat. Not much, but you’d probably be starving after that healing. Don’t worry about me, I’ll be fine.” Kaige knew he’d be starving himself, but he had gone for days without eating before. He wouldn’t exactly be happy about it, but he would be fine.

“Mind if I sleep a bit? It’s been days…” He yawned, closed his eyes, and promptly passed out.

Dreams were not Kaige’s forte, but he did on occasion have them.

“Hunter of my kind…” the voice hissed. A long, forked tongue slithered from a monstrous jaw, full of fangs and foul poison. It stroked against his skin, and it burned the flesh it touched. “Shall we sssee how much you can hurrrt?”

A distorted hand emerged from a pocket of mangled bone and pulsing veins. The claws sank in over his ribs, and he heard the grinding and snapping of his bones and felt a river of his own blood streaking down his side. The pain was near unbearable. He screamed and the demon laughed.

Not this again!

He jolted upright, and almost immediately the nightmare left him in a wave. “Oh…” he laughed, embarrassed at himself, “Well, that was unpleasant.”

The sun was up. How long had he slept? He felt refreshed… ravenously hungry, but refreshed.

alphabunny

• Devil
As Kaige passed out Rou herself followed shortly after, she was hungry yes but tired more then anything.

Sleep would come in waves, even the sound of an owl close by would wake her. Rou could now down being a light sleeper to her childhood. In The Shallows she was forced to constantly be on her guard, now as a mercenary that habit was forced to be carried over.

When dawn finally came she was wide awake and already on her feet, and scavanging the nearby area for any herbs she could find. Even shooting a squirell in the process.

It was still early enough for a small enough fire to roast the rodent without alerting a nearby village so she did just that. As the turned the meat she pondered her next move. Alleria was out of the question for atleast the next couple of months and by noon she expected men on the road after her hide.

The squirrel finally done, Rou would break of two legs and nibble on them as she began collecting her things.

Dagger? Concealed and in place.

Throwing Knife? Still in a small pouch in the inside of her boot.

Cloak? On.

She pulled her bow over her chest and swang her quiver onto her shoulder. She took a final glance at Kaige who seemed to still be fast asleep, excuse the occasional stir. Swiftly Rou made for Stormwind but just as she placed her boot into a stirrup, his voice broke the morning silance.

"Oh, good morning Kaige." She looked at him and flashed a smile.
"I left you some squirrel." Then Rou dug her heels into the horses side, ready to flee down the dirt road.

Kaige Severos

• Cthulhoo rage
Not for the first time, Kaige’s eyes ran up and down his thief. Despite his having just woken, his gaze was sharp and steady, as alert as if he had plenty of sleep and been wake for an hour. He took in the rogue seated on his horse… and said nothing. Another man would have risen and shouted at the very least. While common enough animals, a good horse was still a pricey mount, and Stormwind was clearly a well-trained, rare breed of a dappled blue courser. Replacing such a beast would be no easy task.

A more temperamental man might have wasted no time in trying to kill the woman. In this situation, he would try, and be left in the dust while she rode off, leaving him to walk the long way to Alliria.

But Kaige remained calm, one hand running down his chin as the thief set heels to his horse. He drew one leg up and set his elbow on the knee as he watched Stormwind take one obedient step…

And took no more.

With an irritable snort, Stormwind set his front hooves down in the rough earth, refusing to move further. Despite how much the thief might rail or scold it, how much she might chafe its mouth with the light rubber bit or kick it with her feet, however much she might saw the reins back and forth, Stormwind stood firm, tossing its head as it stubbornly decline to obey its new master.

Meanwhile, Kaige took the rest of the squirrel off the dying fire and took a bit, never taking his eyes off her. He bit into the squirrel, which was a nice, fat specimen, and chewed a bit before speaking in a voice sparkling with humor.

“Stop, thief.”

He took another bite. Then, “Stormwind, lie down. Roll, boy.”

Stormwind immediately flopped to the ground and, at Kaige’s second command, rolled on its side, trapping the thief beneath its hefty weight.

Kaige ate the rest of the squirrel slowly, and was feeling much better as he cast the bones into the nearby brush. He raised his brows at the trapped, would-be horse-napper.

“I feel like many men would say I should kill you… but I also feel like that would be a waste. All right, I said I wouldn’t ask questions, but it seems to me you’ve forfeited the privilege. What have you got to say for yourself, milady? More importantly, who’s after you?”

alphabunny

• Gasp
Rou was not expecting her morning to go so south, so quickly.

"ARrgggggrggg," Rou shoved against the horse as she made feeble attempt towards pushing Stormwind off of her.

After a couple more minute she gave in.
"Fine I'll tell you, just-" she gave a double handed push; "this thing off-" one last attempt, "of me."
It was useless. Rous arms relaxed now on the horse and her head on the ground.
She turned her head to look at Kaige best she could. "My name is Rou Stonewall. I had a job go wrong, thats how my leg ended up the way it did."

The half-elf did not plan on giving up anymore more information until Stormwind no longer held her captive.
Kaige Severos

Rising to his feet by the fire, Kaige stretched as Rou struggled briefly beneath the horse. He was still hungry, but otherwise felt much refreshed. Though he wanted a bath and perhaps a glass of wine or ale. Of course, there were things to be done first and tasks to be completed, the first of which finally offered her name underneath his loyal mount.

Rou Stonewall,” he repeated. He mulled the name over for a moment before shaking his head. He had never heard of the rogue before. Not surprising, as he had not been long in this area of Arethil before. He paused, and then motioned to Stormwind. “Up, Stormwind.”

The horse nickered, as if laughing, as it rolled back on its stomach. Lurching up to its feet, the horse allowed Rou to dismount before trotting a few feet away to graze.

Kaige walked to Stormwind and dug through the saddlebags, eventually removing a small brick of cheese. He unwrapped the snack and took a bite as he considered.

“What kind of job? Actually, nevermind,” he decided. “I think I can guess. Look, Rou Stonewall. Try to steal from your benefactor again and we might have an altercation. Now that that’s cleared up,” he said pleasantly, “where do you plan on going from here?”

alphabunny

"Agg," Rou groaned as Stormwind released her and immediatly she was on her feet dusting herself off.

"Well that's a new experience, being detained by damn horse." She was most definitely not impressed and it was as clear as the day was new.

"Don't worry, you will not have to worry about me stealing from you again; benefactor," the last word would leave her lips in a tone of clear annoyance at the title.
As she once again began picking up her things and fixing her cloak Kaige continued to speak.

A simpleton would be able to put two-and-two together on her chosen occupation or atleast come to the conclusion that it was not the most savory one.

Rou rolled her eyes and looked at him now, "Glad you figured out my Job smart guy."
She was taunting him now.

"Well I'll defiently not be going back to Alliria in the next two weeks, maybe a month...depends on how fast the heat dies down."

Where would she go now, the mix breed was not certain... maybe it was time for her to go home or atleast where home used to be. She swallowed hard as she felt her throat close.

Rou began kicking dirt over the fire pit before bending down and tightening her boots.

She most definitely not about to offer up her possible next location to some man she did not trust or barely even know

"I am not certain yet, how about you demon hunter?" Rou began walking towards the road now, ready to part ways. She was greatful he had healer her but as far as she was concerned this was where the paths seperated.
Kaige Severos

Little was it known to Rou that Kaige was focused not on her general occupation, but the exact task that she had so bunged up. His mind ran quickly as he considered all the jobs one of her rather untrustworthy nature might accept. There were many of them: thievery or burglary of any number of things, for one; a treasure or precious family heirloom. Perhaps it was infiltration of an unsavory group of men and women. Or possibly she had accepted the most dangerous of missions – assassination. He pondered the last. She didn’t strike him as a true killer, but it didn’t really matter now anyway.it seemed she had just barely escaped with her life.

He was still munching on the last bit of cheese when she called him by his own occupation. Usually, it would not have bothered him, but this time it rankled him more than usual. He cast a glare at her that was harsher than he intended, and snapped his name. “Kaige. I have a name, if you recall.” Gods, another one that couldn’t get a name right. The only ones that could were Arvelai and Shade, two dubious friends he wasn’t even sure were still alive.

Rou started off to the road leading away from Alliiria. For a moment Kaige considered doing what many others would decide on; happily leaving her and forgetting the encounter. She wasn’t polite, far from charming, and if she was grateful, failed at showing appreciation too well. But as she neared the road, he mounted Stormwind and followed her, pulling out his map and unfolding it.

“It seems there’s a village not too far away,” he said. He smiled at her as he pulled up alongside her. “Why don’t you jump on? I can give you a lift; you shouldn’t strain that leg.”

The road emerged into view, a beaten path well-known to seasoned travelers who frequented the popular capital. Farther on it would branch into several roads that would themselves lad into every corner of Atheril, from the glistening coasts of the Gulf of Annuak to the far reaches of the Espressa wilds.

alphabunny

• Popcorn
As Rou began walking, the muscles in her injured leg ached slightly...in fact all of her muscles hurt.
The yesterdays events were nothing close to pleasurable and she was fortunate that the most damage she endured was the now wouned slash in her leg.

Rou Stonewall had experianced worse before and she had the scars to prove it, a slit half way through one of her sharp, elven ears she had inherited from her mother and an ugly scar cutting down her back.

Yet each time, she came out stronger and wiser and if Rou was anything, it was proud of herself after all she had endured.

Not even three meteres away the sound of hooves came from behind and Kaige offered her a ride. Rou was silent for a moment, if he wanted to kill her or hand her over to her pursuers it would have happend by now and riding to the village sounded much more plesant then walking and it would be a much shorter journey.

Without a word, Rou would reach up and grab the end of Stormwinds saddle and place the other on Kaiges theigh then she hoisted herself up onto the horse.

"Thank you." Her voice was softer then usual but her words were genuine. The half-elf was not accustomed to being offered help without having anything expected from her in return and this seemed like such a situation.

Wiggeling in her new seat for a moment she found a comfortable spot and leant back sightly and put both hands on the back of Stormwinds saddle to hold herself steady because she was not about to wrap her arms around Kaige.

Kaige Severos

Smiling to himself, Kaige gave a gentle kick to Stormwind’s side. The horse broke into a light gallop, its gait was smooth and fluid as it passed over the road. Kaige relaxed on the saddle, humming softly as the sun cast its morning light over him and his new passenger. He could already feel the warmth the day would bring, a gentle heat he welcomed. It was a far cry from the chilling underground passages and sewers he spent a good deal in, hunting the menacing denizens dwelling in such places,

As they rode, they passed a few other travelers. Some were singular or in pairs, riding horses or walking steadily down the path. A few greeted them from carriages drawn by more horses or oxen. None of them were hostile or seemed looking for anyone, and Kaige smiled and waved, laughing and declining when a traveling merchant asked if he and his wife needed anything.

The village proved to be closer than Alliria might have been. It was a cluster of homesteads and small shops and stalls, selling fruits, vegetables and other farmed or homemade goods. Free ranging chickens clucked about on the grassy roads. There was a small winery selling imported drinks and a butcher and more, all that was needed to support a small community.

And yet there was an eerie silence. The villagers, instead of greeting Kaige and Rou, eyed them with silence and suspicion, their eyes narrowing. The silence only grew as they rode farther in, and one woman called her children, playing with gloomy expressions, inside.

“Something’s wrong here,” Kaige murmured as he pulled up beside a building. It was a small tavern, with a small sign engraved with the design of a stylized green bird and the words The Emerald Swallow.

Kaige dismounted, offering a hand to Rou as a young boy walked over to the, offering in a rather depressed voice to take Stormwind to the local stables.

alphabunny

The ride had been smooth and they had arrived much sooner then Rou would have on foot. Her leg even felt better now.

Once Kaige dismounted he offered her his hand. For a moment she would hesitate then she took it and got off of Stormwind with ease.

"Besides that merchant calling me your wife?" Her question retorical Rou took in the eerie atmosphere as she dusted off her cloak and readjusted her things.

"Whatever there problems are, they are not ours to solve," pushing the door open to The Emerald Swallow they found the atmosphere possibly even worse inside the building then it was outside.

There were no jovial patrons or even a lone musician. The air was musty and dark with only a few candles assisting the daylight.

Rou pushed off putting feeling she had in her gut one side and head for the bar.

"A mug of Ale and some soup if you have it. I am not sure of my companion..." She looked to Kaige expectantly, waiting for him to place his order.

Kaige Severos

Conspicuously empty, the only good thing that could be said about the bar was that it was clean. The wooden chairs and tables were polished and shining, neatly organized, and the glasses set upon the counter sparkled. It was as if the tavern was new.

As if nobody had used it for days.

The man behind the counter was an old gentleman who in his youth may have been handsome. Now, age and an anxious furrow in his brow had robbed him of true comeliness. He glowered at Rou as she placed her order, a curt nod his only sign he had heard her. He turned sharply to Kaige and made a gesture to hurry up.

“A glass of red wine and a stew, please,” Kaige said after a moment’s thought. The bartender grunted ad headed into the back. Kaige lifted a brow. “You’d think he’d be happy to have a few customers,” he murmured, heading to a table. He pulled out a chair for Rou and sat on the other side.

“Is soup all you’re going to eat?” Kaige asked in a cheerier voice. “Surely you need more than that.” He looked up as a maid approached with a mug of ale and a glass filled with wine. “Hello, ma’am. If it’s not too much trouble, please add a slice of cake or pastry to our order for my friend here.”

“No trouble at all, sir,” the maid said, though she rolled her eyes as she set down the drinks rather heavily and departed.

Kaige took a sip of the wine. It was good, not watered-down, with hints of imperial apples, citrus fruits and the aftertaste of dark chocolate.

The food was not long in coming. The soup was lamb, rich and savory with spices, potatoes and a hint of cilantro. The stew was beef with potatoes, an array of vegetables and a dash of paprika and black pepper. Both meals smelled wonderfully. A slice of warm cake doused in fudge was set off to the side, topped by a strawberry.

“At least the food is good,” Kaige said presently as he took a bite of the stew. “What do you think happened here, Rou?” he asked seriously.

alphabunny

• Sip
As the pair headed to a table and Kaige pulled out a chair for Rou, it was easy to say she was suprised. Whilst the act was small, it was gentlemenly - a trait she had not encountered in quite sometime.

As the half-elf sat down she thanked him and before she could get out that soupnwas all she needed Kaige already ordered her something to go along with her dish.

Rou had never been one to eat much, growing up in poverty she was used to food being scarce, delicasies like pastry or cake even more so and even now as she entered adult hood her appetite remained minuscule.

As the maid brought their drink, Rou found her entire demnior off putting. She could understand the attitude if the tavern was chock-a-block with patrons or if she had a multitude of tasks that needed to be done all at once but neither of those two options seemed to be further from the truth.

As they waited for their meal Rou stayed quite. Inbetween taking large sips of her ale she analysed Kaige Severos in her mind - not like she knew enough about yet to draw a conclusion.

When their food arrived Rou had her spoon in the soup moment it hit the table. Whilst it was delicious, she could not have to much all at once. Her stomach was not used to the richness of the food and if she ate to much to quickly, she had a feeling it would come up not long after going down.

At Kaiges comment of the food all she made in reply was a "mmm" sound as she chewed on a potato.
Then he followed with a question, his tone serious possibly mistrusting of their surroundings.

Swallowing the last bit of food in her mouth, Rou took a sip of her drink before replying to him.

Whilst he was serious, she could not be bothered. "Would not have a clue," she shrugged her shoulders. "And it's not really our buisness either way."

Putting down her spoon she leaned back into her chair and downed the rest of her ale.

"Maybe buisness is just bad, they could have had some trouble with bandits lately or the new tax increases so people cannot afford a tavern."

But then again, if that was indead the problem then why was the place in top top shape with no incling broken or damaged possessions and if it was for a lack of coin then how did they manage to afford quality stock?

A shiver came over a moment or two later and she felt a sinking feeling in her stomach, one not caused by the food.

"I think its time we finish up here and go on our way Kaige." Her tone now matched his earlier. Rou reached into her tunic at the should and unclipped a small purse she had attached to her vest.

Normally she never touched this coin but something was telling her to pay and leave. And if Kaige felt the people were in distress they could keep watch from a distance.

Kaige Severos

As he ate the stew, Kaige considered the possibility of bandits or tax increases. Neither which explained the quality stock the tavern appeared to have in plenty. Chocolate especially was a pricey delicacy, yet it sat on the slice of cake Kaige had ordered for Rou. It didn’t match up, and Kaige shook his head to himself even as he held back a sigh.

He held out a hand as Rou unclipped her coin purse. “I’ll pay.” He reached into one of the many compartments built into his armor and procured two platinum coins. He eyed Rou. “Honestly, milady, I need to confirm what I already know.” He stood up and walked to the bar.

The bartender tensed as Kaige approached, but his eyes widened as Kaige placed the first coin down, “For the delicious meal.” And then the second, “For information. What happened here, sir?”

The bartender was silent for a moment, his dour look never fading. Finally, he sighed and took the two coins, biting them to ensure their value. Pocketing them, he leaned over the bar and spoke in a whisper.

“Ten days ago,” he said, “The local milkmaid disappeared. We thought she had run off for a better life elsewhere. But then a man disappeared, and then another. My patrons sighted… something… creeping around buildings at night. We had hunters seek it… but… all of them… slaughtered.” He shuddered.

“We called in help.

“Two knights came. They said it was a demon, or monster, and they would take care of it. Gave me a bag of coin and said if the job wasn’t done the coin was mine. Well, that was five days ago. They haven’t come back, and people are still disappearing.”

Kaige nodded. “Do you have an entrance to the war tunnels underground?”

The man looked wary. “How… well… yes. It’s in the basement of the abandoned house, westside. No one lives around there now. Not that it helps.”

Kaige reached into another compartment, and placed a heavy pouch that clinked on the table. “I am Kaige Severos, Demon Hunter. If the problem is not solved in three days, the coin is yours. Otherwise, I will return for my reward before then.”

The bartender laughed sardonically. “Well. Thank you for the coin, Severos.”

Kaige returned to the table. “I’m not sure if you’re wiling to wait, but if I don’t come back, you can take my horse.”

alphabunny

As Kaige made his way over to the bartender; Rous long, sharp ears pricked up as she made her best attempt to listen in on the conversation and she only heard a couple words...disappeared...slaughtered...demons..

When Kaige returned to their table and made his proposal she stood immediately.

"You really think I am going to let you walk into a lions den and leave me here like some damsel then you are sorely mistaken."
Tighting a strap around her waist and at her shoulders she pulled on her things.

"I may be low born and someone in a distasteful line of work, but I am not one to allow the man who just saved my life walk into an untimely death." Rous voice was firm and arguing with her would be no use, whether he had realised it yet or not. Her mind was made up.

Kaige Severos

Last edited:
There was a short pause after Rou made her stance clear. Used to working alone, Kaige raised an eyebrow, then made a noncommittal shrug as he turned to exit the tavern. Whatever Rou Stonewall might say now, he was fairly certain she would change her mind and make off with Stormwind soon enough. He’d seen enough burly warriors and self-proclaimed heroes run from the challenges he faced.

“Do you know much about demons?” he asked Rou. He didn’t wait for a reply. “Most like living underground. Sewers, underground encampments, war bunkers and shelters, that sort of thing. This one sounds like a Spectra. High class, since two of my peers were possibly killed,” Kaige spoke his thoughts aloud as he walked down the path to the west side of town. “They all look a little different… but they all want the same; to kill.”

It was not a long walk before the sounds of village life completely faded. The block they reached to the west was deserted; tiny houses and farmsteads lay barren and untended. No livestock grazed there, and no wildlife could be seen or heard. The bartender hadn’t specified which house, but one stood out; a cabin, door slightly ajar, with a large black X painted across the exterior walls. It was a common sign to warn others away.

“Demons of the sort we’re dealing with enter through gates called Infirms,” Kaige told Rou as he strode toward the foreboding house. “Look.” He paused before the doorway, unclasping the leather gauntlet around his left arm. Runes, tattooed black, were engraved into his skin. They shone an eerie blue and pulsed with magic. “One’s nearby.” He cocked his head at Rou and smiled slightly. “Look, no judging if you turn around, milady.”

Swiveling around, he nudged open the door, letting it swing inward to expose the door to the basement.

Blood crusted the doorway, dripping fresh from the ceiling.

“Lovely,” Kaige murmured.

alphabunny

• Cthulu Knife
Rou followed alongside Kaige until they reach the cabin. The most she knew about demons was the tales they told children at night to keep them in their beds so like most tales for little ones she assumed it was untrue in the ways of what to expect or how to escape if you were so lucky.

But now her and Kaige were not escaping, they were walking right into the belly of the beast.

When the pair reached the cabin and Rou saw the large x painted over the door she removed her bow and knocked and arrow, ready incase of an attack.

Would an arrow even do anything though? Would it not just whisp through the demon like it were a ghosts? Were demons even ghosts to an extent?
All these questions ran through her mind in mere seconds.

When Kaige showed Rou his forearm her eyes grew wide in amazment. "That is impeccable.."

As much as she wanted to ask him questions on the markings that were imbedded into his skin; she knew now was not the time. Perhaps if they both came out of this alive, the half-breed would be able to inquire.

At the site of blood Rou did not gauge or have the type of reaction a normal civilian would, she was no stranger to death or its counterparts.

"So how do we kill this damn thing?" She asked, her back facing Kaiges as she analized the room - her arrow tip following her gaze.

Kaige Severos