Completed I Demand Justice to be Served!

Hawkshaw smiled, but it was a nervous one. Perhaps it finally dawned on him, the caliber of individual he was prosecuting. He coughed into his fist and regained his composure, cycled to a different lens on his eyepiece.

"I see, so you have created Ella - such as she currently is - for the express purpose of combating the undead menace. Then why did you bring her to Elbion?"

Meanwhile, Harrier Wren - subtly disguised by the magic called mimicry - took extensive notes.

So far her only exposure to the objects of collective disgust came via today's testimony and the anecdotes of certain alcohol-plied guards. To her moderate frustration, real necromancy seemed not much of a factor. She'd actually met the defendant once or twice, him and a horde of absolutely undead chickens. But the chicken in this particular case might or might not have been dead before he fused it, body and soul, with a pregnant girl and her child and some kind of vegetable. Twisted, but not Harrier's cup of tea. The closest technical parallel she could draw was mimicry itself, with certain marginally interesting variations.

The winged skeleton horse, however, which might or might not really belong to him...the horse was of interest.

“Objection, your Honor. Compound. Calls for narrative. Relevance.”

Urberus stroked his white beard.

”The trial concerns allegations of violations of the...” he looked down at some scribblings at counsel’s desk, then recited the relevant provisions.

Abomination Convention of 354 and the Soul Binding Convention of 288

“Whether or not the goodman fused this woman against her will is what is at issue.“ he wheezed. “This is an extended fishing expedition by the Procurator and does not establish whether Steve possessed an undead horse or fused the woman against her will.”

What was this ungodly interruption? Hawkshaw's eyepiece fixed itself on Urberus. Light from a window caught it, giving his scowl a nice sparkle.

"The Abomination and Soul Binding Conventions are quite clear in the prohibition of the creation of any unnatural creatures by an unsanctioned practitioner - or the importation of such beings into the city. The party's willingness is irrelevant!"

Great, the gallery was chittering again.

• Yay
  • Popcorn
Reactions: TTamark and Urberus
His Honour Turtious Interferens frowned.

"Yes, a greater degree of focus would benefit us all. Counselor Hawkshaw, you have demonstrated that the defendant deliberately performed the magic that combined the bodies and souls of the girl Ella, her unborn child, and a chicken. It is likewise clear that he deliberately grafted a rodent to a root vegetable. However..."

The turtle pondered extensively.

"However, Counselor Urberus is correct: you have yet to conclusively demonstrate ownership of the allegedly undead horse, the horse's mortality status, Ella's willingness to participate in the fusing or mimicry ritual, the defendant's culpability in her ongoing state of hardship, abrogation of any relevant duties, or the involvement of necromantic principles or techniques. Do you understand, counselor?"

Steve was about to speak when the orc who volunteered to be his lawyer objected to something. Steve didn't really understand most of it, but had nothing to hide on that matter. So he excitedly spoke up when it seemed that they required more information.

"Maybe I can help on some of those fronts!

I brought her to Elbion because there was something I did not expect. An unaccounted for variable so to speak. She was pregnant. Not enough for me to notice, or she hid it well enough for me to not notice, at least until it was too late... Mind you, you would not normally count the number of people going into the ritual for one of this size, it is a chicken, and an orc woman.

So there I was casting a ritual made to bind two beings, and a third shows up. It was a miracle I was able to keep them from destroying themselves. It happens sometimes where while casting a ritual a wrench might be thrown in, let me just say a soul, even an unborn child's soul makes for one heck of a wrench. I was forced to make a decision in that moment, but none of the options were good. I knew that it would be extremely difficult to reverse if I completed the ritual improvising it to work with three instead of two, but the alternatives were not worth it.

I could try and eliminate one of the variables, like getting rid of the chickens soul, but then the chance that the chicken part of the body would die were a risk, even larger the orcs would be paralyzed for life. Similar risks were present if I eliminated Ella's soul, The child would likely survive, but I would have to have decided to kill Ella. Honestly eliminating any souls in a hurry risked damaging the other souls.

This left eliminating parts of the combined form, this would be riskier, with little upside. Remove the chicken body from the equation after it is already there? Just leave less to work with. Trying to create temporary bodies, not even necessarily orc, or chicken just to house them for a bit. that would have required me to work actively against the magic that was already flowing.

With all this in mind I redirected the flow for three, instead of two, entities into one, then did what I could to fix them till I more permanent solution could be reached. Now I am smart enough to know that Ella needed help, help that I could not provide alone. This was not a nice and neat ritual, this was emergency action taken to save the souls of all parties involved. Those actions leaving the souls tangled, but also strictly 'caged' or separated after the fact so that no further damage could be done. I understood that to undo this it would likely require someone to hold the 'cage' open so a second party, an individual extremely practiced in soulmanship, or two soulsmiths could work on separating the three souls.

So short I brought her to Elbion because I was unaware of the pregnancy, and wished to cure her for her child."

Steve nodded proudly, he was doing the right thing surely everyone could see that.

Hawkshaw's lips pursed together, creating quite the thin line. "I understand, Your Honor. Of course."

Apparently patience was running thin. Hawkshaw's usual meandering inquiries were not fulfilling his purpose. Hawkshaw spent the duration of Steve's statement walking back over to his table. He had his assistant, a Satyr with a severe overbite, hand him another piece of parchment.

"Thank you for your candor, Master Will's Son. In the interest of time, I will ask that you answer the following questions with either 'yes' or 'no.'"

"Do you believe that you acted in Ella's best interest, given her afflicted state and urgent need for care, when you lodged her in a stable - a building used for the storage of animals - for several days?"

"Do you believe that posting on the public board asking for help in this complicated matter was the best course of action, given the intricacies involved in her affliction? As opposed to, of course, approaching a College-approved expert on the matter as soon as possible."

He flicked a lens into place, looking directly at the paper he had been handed, "And, finally - you may answer this in as many words as you please - you mention in the posting you made to the public board that Ella is a golem and that there are only two souls. Both of these statements are observably false. Do you believe this to be deliberate obfuscation on your part, a lapse in memory, or something else?"

No flair for the dramatic, these people. All business.

Last edited:
"Yes"
"yes"
"In practicality now she is a golem rather than a proper hybrid because of the unique circumstances, and I am fine with ignoring the chickens soul, I mean it is not a humanoid. I could not explain every detail. She is in the most accurate analogy within a golem body, mind you a flesh golem. and I need to extract two souls from the power stone."

Hawkshaw sighed, scratched his brow. "Yes, I imagine you do need to do just that, Master Will's Son."

He meandered back over to the Procurator's table, climbing up on the stool and making himself comfortable. The parchment he used was returned to the fold.

"No further questions, Your Honor."

Urberus’ lips pursed into a firm line as he continued to stroke his beard, then he hobbled forward.

“Just three questions, Master Wilson. Yes or no, if you please. You never intended to harm the girl, correct?”

A pause for the answer.

“And it’s true that you did not know she was pregnant when you conducted the chimeric fusion?”

Another pause.

“You only ever intended to protect Ella, isn’t that right?”

"Yes."

"Yes."

"Yes."

Steve had no idea what the Gnome was trying to prove, from what Steve had said it had to have been obvious that that he did nothing wrong. Steve therefore was equally confused by the orcs questions. He had already provided answers for those questions hadn't he? And the answers were obviously yes, so why ask them?

• Yay
Reactions: Red Guild
The judge shuffled in his chair with a grinding of shell on wood.

"I see. Stev son of Wil, you are dismissed back into custody. Thank you for your willingness to speak." He frowned deeply. "Counselor Hawkshaw, I believe you have other witnesses to call. Will we be hearing from Ella herself? I see that she has been listed as...evidence?"

Hawkshaw was shuffling papers when the judge called on him, he looked up, quickly re-adjusting his eyepiece to keep it from falling off. "I don't believe we will be hearing from her, Your Honor. But yes, she's been listed as evidence for the time being."

Among the shuffling, he found the relevant parchment, and read from it partially.

"The College's examination of Ella concluded with her being ruled a magical construct - a golem, in the parlance of Master Will's Son. And pursuant to the law, magical constructs and summonlings are not eligible to give testimony," he gave a little, rolling chuckle, "Lest these proceedings become something of a ventriloquist act."

Hawkshaw paused for laughter and, when none came, coughed awkwardly.

"We'll be calling Lieutenant Armitage Gullhorn of the City Watch to the stand next, Your Honor."

Hawkshaw's answer about Ella's ability to stand witness displeased the judge greatly. He said nothing, but Harrier could tell. The simple solution, to her mind, would have been to kill the construct - put it out of its misery - and have a chat with Ella's spirit. But Elbion frowned on necromancy, and calling a ghost to the stand certainly fell within that sphere, even without euthanasia involved.

Meanwhile her own frustration grew. Nobody was asking the real questions: she had yet to learn the initial mortality status of both the chicken and the potato.

Last edited:
"If I may your honour, she isn't a puppet. I am the first to admit that she currently resides in a body that is practically a golem, but a golem requires one to control it, or a magical instruction engraved into it. Ella is controlling her own body, not me as she has no influence of mine placed on her, feel free to examine yourself. So is she really a puppet if it is herself who is in control?"

Urberus placed a hand on Steve’s shoulder.

“Clearly the lengthy questioning has exhausted my client, your honor. Please excuse the outburst.”

The old orc patted Steve on the shoulder. The monkey, meanwhile, hopped onto Steve’s head and wrapped both hands around his mouth.

Hawkshaw frowned at Steve. There was really no need for this kind of behavior. He gathered the necessary papers and left his table, wandering over to the booth allocated to witnesses just as Lieutenant Gullhorn took his seat.

The Lieutenant was weary looking fellow, clean-shaven, short black hair. There were some dark circles under his eyes, and he sniffed periodically. Nerves. Or a cold, perhaps. Whatever. Still more fit to testify than a golem.

"Would you do us the kindness," Hawkshaw said, pausing to put a new lens into place - it gave an audible click, "of introducing yourself to the Court, Lieutenant?"

Gullhorn shifted, but spoke with a calm certainty otherwise. "Lieutenant Armitage Gullhorn of the Elbion City Watch. Battlemage."

The rest of the ensuing exchange has been transcribed below.

HAW: How long have you served with the City Watch? As a Battlemage?

GUL: Uh, seven years now. Give or take a few months.

HAW: Do you frequently track down and destroy undead constructs in your line of work?

GUL: Yes.

HAW: How many have you, personally, tracked and destroyed?

GUL: Uhhh, hard to say. Dozens, at least.

HAW: By what process are you able to tell if a construct is undead?

GUL: Aside from the, uh, physical characteristics, we can usually tell due to the, the necromantic energy, I guess you would say, locked up inside of it. That it uses... Uses to stay mobile.

HAW: All constructs contain some form of magical energy to animate them, correct?

GUL: Correct.

HAW: And the magical energy used to animate the dead is different from other forms?

GUL: That’s right, yeah. It’s distinct. Uh… More polluting, I’d say. Corruptive (sic).

HAW: And as a veteran battle mage and alumnus of the College, you are able to differentiate between necromantic energy and, say, an alternative form?

HAW: Is this an ability unique to you?

GUL: No, anyone with proper training can, uh, can tell the difference. Anyone.

HAW: When assessing a construct as undead, have you ever been mistaken?

GUL: No.

HAW: Do you believe your supervisor, Captain Olfbert, would back up such a claim?

GUL: Uh, of course. No, no doubts to, uh, that.

HAW: Would you please describe, for the court, the events surrounding the accused’s arrest at the stables? Particularly as it pertains to your encounter with the undead construct stabled there.

GUL: Well, after we found the, uh, the golem, we decided to - to conduct a full search of the premises. And something drew me over to one of the stalls in the back. It was a, uh, sense of the, you know. Necromantic energy. So I had that stall broken open and an, uh, undead horse… With wings. Charged out. And... Took to the sky, flew away.

HAW: Now, this winged horse - you’re certain it was undead?

GUL: Yeah. Thing stunk of necromancy.

HAW: In your experience, do living things naturally exude necromantic energy?

GUL: Unless actively engaged in, er, casting necromancy, no. No they don’t.

HAW: Have you ever witnessed a horse to engage in necromancy, winged or otherwise?

GUL: I… I have not.

HAW: Most interesting. Now, I have just a few more questions. Do you recognize these two keys?

[[A Satyr, identified as “Mandible”, at this point held up two keys from his position at the Procurator’s table]]

GUL: Yeah, those keys were recovered after we conducted a search of, uh, the accused and his property.

HAW: And what about this cloak?

[[“Mandible” at this point returned the two keys and now holds a heavy, hooded black cloak.]]

GUL: That cloak was also recovered from the search of the accused and his, his property.

HAW: I see. Thank you for your clarification, Lieutenant Gullhorn. That will be all from me.

• Yay
Reactions: Harrier and TTamark
UBE: When you came to Master Steve’s premises, you did not knock did you?

GUL: Uhh, no. We didn’t.

UBE: You decided to start chopping down his door with axes, didn’t you.

GUL: Uh, ah, yeah. We have to act, uh, quickly. In these matters.

UBE: Because if you didn’t act quickly, Steve would have found out you did not have a judicial warrant to search his premises, isn’t that right?

GUL: The City Watch, uh, doesn’t require a warrant when there’s, there’s a credible complaint regarding necromancy.

UBE: How did you learn of the alleged necromancy?

GUL: We were tipped off by an, uh, individual who had seen the golem and produced the flier that the accused had, uh, written.

UBE: So you’re telling the court that any individual could claim their neighbor had a golem and that the city watch could then burst through the neighbor’s door with axes to search for it?

GUL: Well, uh, you. You know, that’s, uh, the flier. That the accused, uh, wrote. That was shown to, to me, and the city watch. Indicated that there were, uh, soul bindings taking place. So, yes. Based on that, we felt we had reasonable, ah, cause to, uh, search a premises. Yes.

UBE: So the only sources you had were a flier and an informant?

GUL: Uh, the informant had a, uh, another witness to the golem with him. So, so two informants. I guess.

UBE: I’m looking around the courtroom and I don’t see the informants. Where are they?

GUL: They’re…? In that room over, over there. Where I was. Just before, uh, being called. I mean, one of them is. And the stablemaster.

GUL: Did... You not know that?

UBE: Thank you, Lieutenant Gullhorn, but please leave the questioning to me. What are the names of the informants?

GUL: Uhhh, we took one down as a Gahoris (sic) and Robert Yew.

UBE: I see an- Oh my. Can I see your hands for a moment, Lieutenant?

*Sniffing noises*

GUL: ...Uh… My hands? Is that, uh… Is that… Do I have to, or, uh…?

UBE: Your hands, please.

GUL: Uh...

HAW: Objection? Is there a reason for the physical examination of a witness…?

UBE: It will become apparent. Now please, the hands. Let me get my eyeglass.

HAW: No, hold on, now, is the honorable counsel qualified even to…?

UBE: I have been a Maester of Alchemy for a very long time, young man.

HAW: And this entitles you to prod the Lieutenant’s hands?

UBE: Yes, I would think so. Unless there’s something he has to hide?

GUL: Uh, no, I just -

HAW: There is no reason to believe this is to become relevant!

UBE: Then it can be stricken afterward. Now, please, I’m sure Lieutenant Gullhorn has nothing to be concerned about.

GUL: I mean, I… I guess…

*Sniffing noises*

UBE: Ahh. Aha. Mmmm. Hmmm. I see. Yes. Ok. Thank you, Lieutenant Gullhorn…

*Paper shuffling*

UBE: How long have you been addicted to pixie dust?

HAW: Objection! Again! You can’t possibly be serious!

UBE: Your honor?

Fifteen years on the watch, now, and he'd seen nothing like this. Gullhorn had picked the wrong week to quit sniffing pixie dust.

Last edited:
"I shell allow it," said His Honour. "It speaks to the credibility of the witness. Lieutenant Gullhorn, unless the defense has any further questions for you, you are dismissed."

Meanwhile, Harrier continued scribbling in no language anyone present had seen before. It mostly involved flying skeleton ponies.

“Thank you your honor, only one further line of questioning,” wheezed Urberus.

UBE: Lieutenant, I understand you witnessed the alleged necromantic construct, is that right?

GUL: Correct, yes.

UBE: It resembled an emaciated pegasus, isn’t that right?

GUL: Uhh, yes. Excessively emaciated, I’d say.

UBE: And you attempted to apprehend this pegasus, didn’ t you?

GUL: That was my, my intention. It ran away, ran by me, before I could, uh, do that.

UBE: It took to the air with its wings, correct?

GUL: Uhhhh, ostens- ostensibly? I don’t know, uh, how else it could fly.

UBE: And you attempted to shoot it down with sorcery, right?

UBE: So you discharged a bolt of destructive lightning in a confined space not once but twice, didn’t you.

GUL: I, uh, I wouldn’t consider the, the open sky an, uh, confined space.
It was flying.

UBE: Lieutenant, you were in a stableyard, weren’t you?

GUL: Correct.

UBE: And there were buildings all around you?

GUL: Uh, yeah.

UBE: And your lightning bolt, it could’ve destroyed those buildings or set them on fire if it hit them, isn’t that right?

GUL: Wh- no! No, it wouldn’t’ve. Not at all.

UBE: So your lightning would not ignite a building if it struck it...

GUL: Well, if it were, uh, a strong enough - but it wasn’t, so...

UBE: So you weren’t actually trying to destroy the allegedly undead pegasus? I’m confused, Lieutenant.

GUL: My, my intent was to ground it, so, uh, it could be more carefully, uh, disposed of.

UBE: Your intent… I see. Was it also your intent to miss hitting the pegasus not once but twice?

GUL: Uh… It was not my intention to miss. No.

UBE: But you did. Miss, that is.

GUL: ...Yes.

UBE: No further questions, your honor. I think we have all heard enough.

Steve requested a moment to speak with his lawyer privately.

"Hey, you are really hurting that poor lawman's image I understand that he may have some of his own problems, but he was just doing his job to the best of his abilities. If I were him I'd feel really bad right now. I'm sure that we can win this without having to hurt people. After all I did nothing wrong, so this will be easy."

• Haha
Reactions: Red Guild
Hawkshaw leapt off his stool - a movement he made with such furor he looked like a particularly agitated jack-in-the-box. He marched back up, eyepiece clicking. "Before you go, Lieutenant. Just some clarification. Aside from the hunting the undead, what other duties do you perform with the city watch?"

Gullhorn twiddled his thumbs, apparently not keen on further engagement. "General... Law enforcement, I suppose."

"Have you dealt with smugglers in the past?"

"Yeah..."

Hawkshaw was getting closer to the booth, clearly wanting to get in Gullhorn's business but being of insufficient length to do so. "And have any of the smugglers you engaged with been caught transporting Pixie Dust?"

"Mm, yes..." Gullhorn muttered, forlornly.

"Is it at all possible that any lingering residue of Pixie Dust on your hands may be as a result of contamination from your apprehending smugglers in your line of duty? You are, after all, semi-regularly exposed to such substances in pursuit of your duties?"

Gullhorn slowly looked up, eyes shifting between Hawkshaw and Uberus. "...Yes. Yes, that is possible."

"Would you say it is very much likely to happen?"

"Very much."

"Would you like to address the spurious and frankly inappropriate remark that you are addicted to Pixie Dust?"

"Um... Yes," Gullhorn leaned forward, arm on one leg. He squinted at Uberus. "That was... Rude. And inaccurate. Sir."

Well, that wasn't nearly as convincing as he would have hoped it would be. Where was the waterworks? Hawkshaw did hate being the only thespian in the room, but these things couldn't be helped.

"I am certainly glad we've settled that," he said. "Master Javier to the stand, please..."

----

A dusty looking fellow trudged awkwardly into the stand, awkwardly squeezing himself into the seat. He was a large fellow, ungainly in size, but sturdy as an oak. The booth looked poorly made to accommodate him.

Hawkshaw switched to a new lens for the occasion. "Would you mind introducing yourself to the court?"

"Javier of Torleon," he said, in a voice so deep the booth vibrated, ever-so-slightly. "I run the stables where this, uh, happened. I guess. I work for Duke Nalson."

The remainder of his testimony is transcribed below.

HAW: Would you mind introducing yourself to the court?

JAV: Javier. I run the… Stables this all… Happened at.

HAW: Master Javier, in one of the stalls at your stable, the golem known as Ella and a disfigured rodent were found. Who rented this stall?

JAV: Ah, Steve Will’s Son. The accused guy.

HAW: And in another stall at the same stable, an undead, winged horse was found. Who rented that stall?

JAV: It was… It was, like, the same guy. Steve Will’s Son. But he used a different name.

HAW: What name did he give you?

JAV: It was… Master Eternum, I believe.

HAW: You are of the opinion that the individual recorded in your ledger as ‘Master Eternum’ is the same person as Steve Will’s Son?

JAV: No, no, not an opinion, no. They’re the same.

HAW: Can you describe to me what Master Eternum looked like?

JAV: ...The accused. He looked like him. But with a black cloak on. Easy.

HAW: Have you been listening to these proceedings?

JAV: Yeah, I heard most of it.

HAW: Have you heard the accused, Steve Will’s Son, speak during these proceedings?

JAV: Yeah.

HAW: Does the accused sound anything like Master Eternum in his speech?

JAV: Exactly like him.

HAW: Do you recognize this black cloak?

[[At this point, Mandible indicated the same black cloak that had been previously shown to Lieutenant Gullhorn]]

JAV: Yeah, that’s the cloak he was wearing. I remember it, it’s got that, uh, thing. On the corner there. I recognize that.

HAW: Of course you do. Do you recognize these keys?

[[Mandible then indicated the same pair of keys that had, as above, previously been shown to Lieutenant Gullhorn]]

JAV: Those are the… Keys. To those two stalls.

HAW: Which two stalls, precisely?

JAV: One’s for the stall that had the, uh, golem, you called it. The other’s for the one with the zombie horse.

HAW: Would you be surprised to know that Master Eternum’s cloak and the key to the stable he rented to store his undead horse were found in possession of the accused?

JAV: ...No. Not really.

HAW: Why is that?

JAV: Because they’re the… Same person. Are you listening?

HAW: Very closely, I assure you. Did you think it was at all suspicious that the same person would try to hide their identity while renting a second stall from your establishment?

JAV: A little.

HAW: But you didn’t care.

JAV: Look, I just run the place for Duke Nalson, and he says to just take the money and don’t ask questions.

HAW: So you didn’t ask any questions? Whatsoever?

JAV: As long as the money is good, just like he says.

HAW: And the money was good?

JAV: Money’s always good, so… Yeah, I guess. yeah.

HAW: What services do your stables offer?

JAV: Well, we take care of the horses for as long as they’re there. Clean them, feed them, change the hay, let them graze. That kind of thing.

HAW: Did you or any of your employees have any interaction with the undead horse in Master Eternum’s stall?

JAV: Uhhh, yeah. I had to take over for it, ‘cause the other guy got creeped out by it.

HAW: By the undead winged horse?

JAV: Yeah, that one.

HAW: Did you notice anything peculiar about the horse while it was in your care?

JAV: Wouldn’t go outside, just stood still. All the time. Didn’t want to move. It, uh. It never breathed. And it also didn’t eat or drink too much. Like, he was a hungry looking, uh, horse. But he didn’t eat like it. Only a little at a time. And then, uh… It didn’t…

HAW: Didn’t what?

JAV: I don’t know if I should say.

HAW: Go on, son, speak freely.

JAV: It didn’t shit. Ever.

HAW: The horse never defecated once while it resided in its stall?

JAV: ...Defecated? I don’t -

HAW: To defecate is to - it means what you just said, earlier.

JAV: Then yeah. Or, no, it never shit. Ever. And I know, ‘cause I had to clean the hay out all the time. No one else would. And there was never any shit.

HAW: And how long have you been working these stables, Master Javier?

JAV: Few years now.

HAW: And how long have you worked with horses?

JAV: Uhhh, most of my life. Started when I was small.

HAW: Have you ever observed a horse to never breathe, seldom eat, and never defecate? While remaining alive for several days?

JAV: No.

HAW: As one would expect. That will be all, Master Javier. Thank you.

Last edited:
  • Yay
  • Popcorn
Reactions: Harrier and Urberus
"Hmm," Urberus mused, looking at his client.

He removed his monocle and rubbed it on the front of his robe.

"Steve," he whispered, "That lawman is going to try to exile you from Elbion forever, or put you in prison. They believe what you did was wrong. Very wrong. Even if you do not. If you apologize for it, your sentence might be lessened. Do you want me to arrange a plea deal? You would confess that you turned the girl into a chimera, but I believe we can get rid of the necromancy charge. At worse you might be expelled from the college and banned from the grounds for a few years, but with good behavior perhaps it could be lessened in time."

Pale green eyes looked very seriously at Steve. "Now, I am going to get up and cross examine this witness. I want you to think about what I said while I do. When I sit back down, please let me know whether you wish to negotiate a plea or continue to claim total innocence."

The orc stood up, smoothed the front of his robe, then hobbled forward to address the witness.

UBE: Good noonday to you, Master Javier. Do you have any proficiency with the use of magic?

JAV: No, sir. I don’t.

UBE: Have you ever encountered an necromancy before in your life?

JAV: Uh, yes. Like, a few days ago. With the winged horse.

UBE: Are you claiming the horse was undead?

JAV: I mean, it had to be, yeah.

UBE: What do you mean, it had to be?

JAV: It didn’t act like a, uh, normal horse. Live, horse, I guess.

UBE: Are you familiar with every single horse in existence, winged and unwinged?

JAV: Uh… Just the ones… Around here.

UBE: So you don’t actually know that the horse was undead, you just know that it didn’t act like a normal horse, correct?

JAV: I know that live horses are supposed to breathe. And that one, you know. Didn’t.

UBE: Are you aware that there are some species of whale that can hold their breath for up to a month?

JAV: I don’t get whales in the stables, so, uh. No. Didn’t know that.

UBE: And you also don’t know every single type of horse, correct?

JAV: I mean, I guess not, but I know enough about horses -

UBE: So there could be a type of horse that exists that does not breathe through traditional means which you are unaware of.

JAV: I know dead horse’s don’t breathe, so...

UBE: That wasn’t my question, Master Javier. My question was could a type of horse exist that does not breathe through usual means.

JAV: I mean, yeah! Sure! It exists ‘cause I saw it, and it was, you know, undead. That’s the type of horse that doesn’t breathe.

UBE: Master Javier, you stated earlier that you have no magical proclivity, so aside from the lack of defecation and the lack of visible breathing, you do not actually know that the horse was undead, correct?

JAV: What? No, I know it was undead, I don’t need, like magic, I guess, to… To know… Do I...?

UBE: Master Javier, if I put you into a coma so deep that to our mortal perceptions you did not appear to be breathing, would you be dead?

JAV: ...That’s a weird question.

UBE: Just a yes or no, please.

JAV: No, I guess not.

UBE: Thank you. So, it was your opinion that the horse was undead, correct?

JAV: That’s what I’ve been saying.

UBE: How soon after seeing the horse did you develop that opinion?

JAV: I dunno, maybe a couple days. Yeah, a day or two.

UBE: And you did not report this undead horse to the city watch?

JAV: Well, I guess - I didn’t, uh, think it was undead at the time. It was, uh, just a weird horse. But then, like, I hear later that that’s what undead horses do.

UBE: So you only developed the opinion that it was undead AFTER speaking with Lieutenant Gullhorn and the Procurator, correct?

JAV: No, not those guys, I asked my cousin, who does, uh. Housekneeping, yeah. At the College. He knows about that kind of thing.

UBE: Your cousin. I see.

*Heavy wheezing noises*

UBE: Master Javier, you’re aware that harboring an undead construct is against the law, aren’t you?

JAV: ...Yeah.

UBE: So, sitting here today, do you believe the emaciated horse you were harboring in your stall was undead?

JAV: But I didn’t put it there, that Steve Will’s Son did.

UBE: Master Javier, harboring the undead is a serious offense. Isn’t that what you were doing, or were you, perhaps, mistaken in the belief that it was undead?

JAV: Uh...

UBE: I think the punishment is ten years exile? Twenty? Excuse an old orc, I forget.

JAV: Uh, maybe, maybe someone could… Uh, clarify.

*shuffling papers, throat clearing*

UBE: Permanent exile and confiscation of all personal property in Elbion. Do you have a family, Master Javier?

JAV: ...I do.

UBE: Ah, I’m sorry. Well, let me reask my previous question, which I believe was unanswered. Were you harboring an undead construct, Master Javier, yes or no?

JAV: Hey, you can’t, like, force me to only say yes or no… Can you?

UBE: Your honor, can you please instruct the witness to answer.

JAV: Okay! Okay! Uh… There was a, a zombie horse in the… Stable that I run. Without my knowledge. Or, uh, consummate. Consent! Consent.

UBE: So, you’re confessing to harboring a zombie? Or are you not sure that it was undead? Could you, perhaps, be mistaken? After all, you don’t know every type of horse in existence…

JAV: I… I guess my cousin could be… Wrong…?

UBE: Thank you, Master Javier. No further questions.