Completed Hospitality

Just as he had assumed.
"So it was indeed a Demon.

I did not take time until now to think about the seals properly, but now that you mention that wizard....

To tell you the truth, whoever was said wizard, while not as skileld as I, was extremly skilled, and for reason unknown to me, he intentionally designed at least the seal that is supposed to seperate the demon and it's host, so that it adjusts to the demons power.

Now it is not what you think, it won't grow stronger when your demon becomes stronge ror you yourself, but rather if your demon would however acquire powers enough to be considered a mid- or highlevel demon, the seal would adjust accordingly.

Now what is strange, is that your demon is at best a low-level demon, yet the reason the seal is weakening or should I say can weaken at all, is because the wizard wanted it to be so.

Now as for the reason why, I could give you many theories, one would be, that you are part of an experiment, most likely unknown to your parents.
Something that especially speaks for that, would be the adjusting nature of your seal, while it is irrelevant in almost all cases, it does matter if the wizard predicted the demon to get stronger while time passes.

Now why that would be in his interest, I can not say, bur regardless, to find out you would have to find him, but considering the seals I can guarantee you, that you wouldn't be his match in combat.

Now in theory it could also either be a side-effect and even be unknown to the wizard or I could be wrong.
While the arrangement and the flow of magic of the seals does speak for an adjustement, unless I see your demon turn into a mid-level demon in terms of power, I can not guarsntee my hypothesis."

Lechies Delrio

Last edited:
  • Yay
Reactions: Lechies Delrio
Lechies's brow furrowed, her eyes showing profound confusion and concern. Whatever it was she'd expected Darkensand to say, it certainly wasn't further warnings about the apparent precarious state of her demonic seals.

Was it really so surprising, though? For some time now, Lechies had suspected a defect had appeared in the seals -- her recent, strange affinity for ice magicks could not be explained any other way -- but she'd assumed it a consequence of the Second Law. Not even magic lasted forever. When the seals finally failed, that would be their end -- and hers, as well. She'd accepted that idea for years.

But now, the theory that the seals could hold out for much longer, but their architect had chosen not to design them that way? For the sake of some experiment? Lechies supposed she should be angry at the thought of possible betrayal, but rage refused to kindle in her chest.

She was just too exhausted. First, the possibility that her seals had been damaged; now, the possibility that the wizard who'd saved her life all those years ago had harbored ulterior motives. It was all too much to think about now. Too great a mental burden, after meeting a lich and then trekking through the forest and then sneaking into an enemy stronghold and then fighting through bandits and that mage. Never before had Lechies so yearned for the comfort of her bedroll, yearned to fall into the embrace of dreamless oblivion.

"If it was an experiment, I have no idea how my benefactor could be tracking its progress." She massaged her temple. "My family hasn't been in contact with him since the day he sealed the demon. Though, I suppose he could have simply planned to wait and see... Listen for word of a demon possessing an unfortunate soul, or some such..."

Either way, perhaps she was finally due for a visit home, to see what her parents thought about this hypothesis. The topic was too sensitive to discuss through letters.

Lechies smiled weakly. "I appreciate your words of caution, though I fear I'm in no state to properly express my gratitude. I feel a bit like the walking dead myself, I'm so tired."

Then, sobering some, she added, "Earlier, you mentioned that your 'vessel' wasn't fully recovered. I imagine that has something to do with why you came upon the farmhouse seeking shelter in the first place?" Lechies glanced to the makeshift camp in the distance, still busy with noise and movement. "Will you still be able to rest safely tonight, with the soldiers roaming about?"

Doubtless Captain Thyrsus would make Darkensand's death more permanent if presented with the opportunity.