Private Tales Homeward Bound

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Character Biography
Link
Alaric groaned as he hoisted himself onto his weary steed. They were all a bit worse for wear, and Alaric had the mud to prove it. He looked to his new road companion, his lips quirking into a smirk before returning to their tired position. The night was fully upon them and he rolled his shoulders as he awaited Syr Oliver to mount as well. They'd have to set camp, but here was not the place. There was no cover, only the dark snake of the road before them. The moon had yet risen, but Alaric felt at peace in the dark. An impatient snort from his young mount had him turning the beast in a circle to calm him.

"Well, that could have gone better, but it definitely could have gone worse." He paced slowly forward as Syr Oliver settled in his seat. Ideally they'd find a small copse of trees and some fresh water. His food stores weren't particularly abundant, but they'd figure something out. It's not the first time he went hungry. "Let's find somewhere to rest our weary bones Syr Oliver. I say we've earned it." The sounds of night began to play, crickets and bats filling the night air with their song. It was relaxing, but he couldn't help but feel a deep sadness in the loneliness the night brought as well.

Syr Alaric was a lonely lad, he had yet to connect with anyone in the order. He was a little self loathsome to let others get close. He hid it all behind manners and jests, no one wanted to dig under the surface when he seemed to operate just fine the way he was. The steed beneath him walked with a drooped head, yes they all had taken a toll today. Soon they would rest, a fire to chase away the cold of the night. He glanced about them as the trundled along, a small chuckle escaping him as they passed another wagon. This one was rotted, fallen apart, there was no saving it. Still, the odds gave him a quick dash of humor. Troublesome things, wagons.

Oliver

• Wonder
Reactions: Oliver
“ You’ll have no argument from me on that, Syr Alaric. “ He responded belatedly, the draft mare beneath him easing into a gait without having to be told. Old as she was, Anna-Stiina knew to follow Syr Alaric who’d taken lead, if only temporarily for she insisted on settling to a step next to the younger horse. As the road lay practically abandoned for the night, they could easily ride abreast for the time being.

Maybe even converse. But what of?

He found himself glancing warily at the lad, catching that chuckle and a smile upon recognition. Beyond the politesse, chivalry and general cordiality, he realized not having much of an impression of his fellow knight. Nothing to fill in the hollow within the husk, the actual man lost somewhere betwixt easy humour and a distance that approximated to an arms’ length. It wasn’t a secret and he’d gladly let him have it, if such preference remained true, but one had to admit such things didn’t exactly inspire camaraderie.

And wasn’t that one of the greater perks of the Order, if not even a founding principle?

The hoof beats fell deafeningly loud as he kept his silence, staring deadpan at the way ahead. He imagined it painfully obvious he was having a hard time coming up with something to say, the air abuzz with haphazard thought and inhales that lacked depth. And considering that on most days and with most people, he personally couldn’t seem to shut up to begin with.

Ah, fuck it.

“ You mentioned having been on a job and for that, traveling. Do you often take them on in your lonesome? “ He rose a brow and tried something of a smile, look landing back on Alaric with curiousity.

" I understand how it can be efficient, if anything. "

In the darkening of the hour, the silently trudged forward. The gait was easy, the horses well trained to keep it. He was sure they would find someplace to settle for the night, this road in particular was of the quieter nature.

Lightning bugs winked in and out of existence, fleeting hopes to find their mates. Crickets sang in the grass, the sound almost soothing the tension from the younger lad. Dusk, comforting embrace of shadow to chase away the light that dwindled. Radiant hues of deep blue and purple in the sky, the smell of coming rain in the wisps of clouds above. Yes, it was a comfort.

Alaric was brought back to companion as Oliver spoke, and he sighed quietly as he shifted slightly on his mount. "I did not take this one alone, though I was sent to return home after we finished. There was some rebuilding to do, but the report needs to be given as well. More and more grotesque creatures are cropping up, dangerous to the villages not close to the bigger cities." He constantly felt the need to prove himself, and it stung to be sent home early, though he was younger and more green than the rest that had remained.

"What were you doing out here anyways? To stumble into quite the debacle." He shook his head, remembering the ridiculous event that had brought the two knights together. "I don't think I've seen you outside the gardens, quite the green thumb I understand." Alaric had not the patience for such a thing, too hot headed and cocky for such an endeavor.

Oliver

Ah, wrong assumption.

He gave attentive nods to the explanation, eyes adrift betwixt the road and his company, keeping watch on both. What he heard sounded something like dejection, companioned by a whiff of dread. He could understand it, what with the wild, corrupted things.

The tone repelled him from prying further, but thankfully it didn’t have to mean another silence. In turn, was purpose questioned of him, easing the concentrated seriousness off his face in one grand sweep. He smiled a little, equal parts self-awareness and amusement at the remark.

Suppose that was true. All of it.

“ I get outside the gardens plenty — You’ve just not looked for me. “ He responded, head cocking like with challenge. “ Like today, as mentioned by yourself. A stroll with a friend after so much foul weather— “

The horse and surrounding were indicated in a glance and gesture of a hand. The abrupt pause concluded in a shrug.

“ Or that had been the plan, initially. Excitement found me by chance, yet again, and I’ll say that I do prefer the garden to most of it. “ Particularly the part where we were knee deep in mud. He gave a caricature of a huff, all feigned disapproval. There wasn’t really anything to feel regretful for, seeing as if given the chance he would’ve done it all again exactly the same.

There wasn’t a way in which the day hadn’t unfolded this way, to his mind. He liked to think all had merely done their best, whatever that meant to any which one.

“ But we’ll be back soon. You’ll file your report and be soon off to another venture. “ He spoke with conviction, like he knew it true. “ And me — I’ll go back to pruning. “ His nonchalance was fractured by a grin, unbothered. He knew who he was and it was all well and good, as the people say.

“ You figure we’ll have to worry about those creatures in the night? The grotesque ones I’ve heard so much about. “

Both of them were testing the waters, treading carefully and gauging reactions. A small parry of words dancing in the shadows as they continued forward on the unrelenting path. In his questioning, it hadn't occurred to Alaric that perhaps manners escaped him and he caused offense to his companion.

He glanced over, answering the jut of Oliver's challenge with a dip of his own head in embarrassment. It seemed it was good natured in his response, however and Alaric smiled sheepishly.

A nod of his head as Oliver gestured widely around them. "Aye, I have to concede that I've not looked for you elsewhere, you've got me there." Alaric scratched his chin idly, he really should get to know his fellow knights better.

"I'll take it as a good turn of events that we met on the road the way we did. I've got the opportunity to get to know a fellow knight, and have him quietly put me in my place." He chuckled softly. "I do apologize for how that sounded, I'm told I don't think before I act, or in this case speak."

Alaric's horse shuffled slightly to the left, dodging something in the road. The young man ignored it, not catching what it could have been, though his horse danced a little more before resuming it's course. "I'm not sure what's worse, a cult of crazies or monsters that stalk the night. Perhaps the world is ending."

Alaric glanced up at the quickly darkening sky and frowned. "The dark is prime hu ting grounds, it is possible that we could run into something. I doubt we will though, I've not heard anything this close to home. "

Oliver

• Yay
Put you in your place? And what exactly is that supposed to be, one must wonder.

His frown betrayed consideration, lending a twist to his sustained smile. At the apology, he let his attention rest upon the darkness in turn and gave a hum, more understanding than acceptance. A part of him wanted to challenge it, that one should so easily result to assuming offense, let alone then be reduced to formality that had the power to disperse all ease of being. Not that they’d been terribly companionable thus far, but —

They’d been doing well enough, respective personalities considered. There was difference, he’d noticed, but it wasn’t anything intolerable or irritating. Just — Inconvenient.

He’d returned to a pleasant neutrality by the time he regarded his company again, in a sidelong glance as the young man explained. While speculation on any which apocalypse escaped his interest, he could keep up an acknowledging expression for it, one that slowly took on amusement as the man concluded.

“ Well — If we do run into something — “ A cursory look went the length of the field, pretending a search. “ — You’ll just have to protect us. For I regret to inform you, that I didn’t come armed nor armoured. “

Like it was a grand reveal never thus far observed a possibility, he opened an arm and struck an impression of a soldier ashamed for his foolishness.

My good Syr Knight, Syr — I’ve forgot all of it at home. My sword and my helm both! And my horse is ancient as the Sky — she cannot even run! Throw me in the ditch, wherein should an imbecil as me lie.

“ Unless a little knife counts for something. That I do have, presently. “ Wholly unbothered by the topic, a too plausible impending doom, he took a pronounced inhale of the cool air. It had a great smell, the approaching night on a dirt road, surrounded by fields and forests. The horse’s tail gave a swish, a comforting flutter of a sound.

“ Jest aside — One should indeed heed your doubt and evidence against us being bothered. So I shall, with caution, which makes me inclined to suggest a guard. “ His stare fixed upon Alaric, watching for variance in opinion. He’d be sure to wrench it out, if any went visibly unsaid.

“ I’ll take the first shift, in case you've no preference for it. “

Last edited:
It was hard to gauge Oliver, especially with the impending darkness. They were testing each other with words, and simple actions. He wondered if he would be able to break his own formalities and become close to someone. He kept everyone at arms length, afraid of what would happen if he began to care. No, that wasn't right. He did care, but he was afraid to show it.

Unbeknownst to Alaric, and perhaps even Oliver, they were being followed. A shadow amongst shadows, tracking it's prey with practiced patience.

Upon mention of Oliver's lack of weapon or armor, Alaric nodded. He was aware that his companion had little in terms of self-defense. "If it comes down to it, we shall have to make due with what we have. I know no magics to help us either." It seemed he did not get that from his father in the slightest. There was a comfort in the quiet of the night, the stillness that hung in the air.

"I agree, and you're more than welcome to it." Silence again, naught but the sounds of the horses and the crickets breaking it. "I know we do not know each other well, but I hope I'm not giving you the impression I'm a stuck up brat. I'll be honest that I'm not very good with other people." He paused akwardly, glad that Oliver couldn't see the embarrassed blush that crept up his neck. "I know little about interaction outside of formality." Hopefully Oliver would understand, more than anything he hoped he wasn't mocked by his fellow knight for such a thing.

Oliver

No challenge — thus was the matter painlessly settled. A firm nod marked the agreement sealed, in its way contributing to the wordlessness that threatened to arrive in its wake. While he didn’t generally mind it, betwixt the two of them as they were he had the strange feeling that it wasn’t exactly desired nor natural.

They weren’t at such a haven yet, if such a thing even existed. He had faith, of course, since the lad seemed awfully decent and upright, the storybook example of one to befriend or ally with. Given the time to think on it, he realized there was nothing to dislike or disagree upon, per say. And yet, despite it all having been so awfully pleasant —

The spell of suspense was struck dead in a drastic pivot of subject, nicety exchanged to honesty. It struck a spark of both interest and surprise to his look, the entirety of him shifting on the saddle to watch and listen. The darkness stole the details on faces and gestures, but by the tone he got the impression there was genuine struggle there. He could appreciate what it meant.

“ It is safe to choose formality. I fault none for it. “ He gave his initial response, attempting assurance. “ But I do admit, since we are speaking honestly, that it does bore me. It is rigid and without character, at its worst predisposing us to remain apart. “ He paused for breath and gave a shrug of the shoulder, a softening of the statement.

“ I feel much the same about titles and the like, but that is another thing — “ A shake of the head, dismissing that he’d begin on it. “ With that said — I have not once thought you a ‘stuck up brat’. “ He allowed himself a smile at that, emphasizing the quote as a meaningful glance fell upon his company.

“ You’ve merely a duality of confidence and timidness to yourself. I don’t pass judgement for such things, but can endorse practice, for which you've clearly the courage. “ A keel of the head as he paused to consider, attention drifting as he swatted away at an unseen buzz in the air next to his ear. Mosquitoes — great.

“ So speak to me — What do you enjoy? Beyond chivalry, that is. “

Alaric Wulf

• Aww
Reactions: Alaric Wulf
Alaric found his company to be fairly amicable. The darkness separated them, so that it were if he happened to be talking to a shadow. It made it much easier to relax, even his shoulders dropped slightly as he got more comfortable.

He couldn't help but laugh in acknowledgment as Oliver answered in kind. He was absolutely right in what he was saying, and even though his ears were hot with embarrassment, he could appreciate the honesty.

"I will admit to you that I have no real hobbies for myself, I've not figured that part out yet. It's why you'll rarely find me at the monastery..." He trailed off as a low growl behind them made him spin in his saddle.

"That did not sound like a normal beat Syr Oliver."

Alaric tensed, eyes straining in the dark. He had no magic, only a blade. Oliver had even less on his person. Could they outrun whatever beast this was?

Oliver

• Gasp
No real hobbies. A grand shame if he ever heard one.

His brows had climbed a touch, arching at the response. While it was equally in lamentation and disbelief, he hadn’t the time to speak out in either as something else made a sound. Much like Syr Alaric, he searched the darkness abaft with his look, unsure what he’d rather it be that they’d heard.

Watching the blackness, its edges fuzzy and alive with shapes that he hoped were imagined, he held his breath. The horse beneath him twisted its neck, ears swiveling and steps taking on a bouncy, disoriented quality. The reins clicked and hooves scraped, suddenly hideously loud.

“ Quite. “ He answered belatedly, voice reduced to a low mutter. The lad must’ve meant the strange layer of resonance in the noise, something that made it belong to no animal he knew. Yet, anyway.

“ Those corrupted things — “ Not quite whispering, but forcibly calm and casual in tone, he leaned backwards in a slow movement. A hand reached inside the saddlebag, searching. “ Figure they travel in packs? “

He pulled out a fraction of his rations, some salted dry fish and half an oatcake. The former he threw at the darkness, staring into it as his heels urged the horse into a faster gait.

Alaric Wulf

Alaric didn't think it possible, but it was as if the night had gotten even darker. It seemed to swallow them whole, even the crickets had fallen silent. The stars seemed to disappear, drenching them in what felt like eternal darkness.

His horse was a trained beast, and it held its gait, though he could feel the muscles beneath him tense, the agitation reaching him plainly. He looked for Syr Oliver in the darkness, directing his steed closer.

"Some hunt in packs, most do not. I've seen them cannibalize each other even." His jaw was tight, and he clutched the reins even tighter. This was not good, the beast would have the upper hand here.

The sound of screeching wrenched through the night, and Alaric gritted his teeth. "A cat of some sort. Likely extremely large, and might have even more to worry about than just tooth and claw." He'd seen beasts combined like a bad experiment, wolves with snake scales hard as rock, birds with venom on their claws. Dangerous and unpredictable. "I don't know if running is our best option."

Oliver

The faint shape of Syr Alaric steered closer, calling for attention as he spoke. The tension was tangible, helped none by the dense dark and whatever he was told then in response. Suppose he regretted even asking.

“ Cannibalism, huh. “ He hummed in an ever sinking tone, shoving the oatcake in his mouth just as a horrid shriek split the false calm. Over his chewing, he could just about hear the rest of Alaric’s musings, which spelled out how entirely and absolutely fucked the both of them were. Not to mention the horses, for which he’d lament equally so.

Well, shit.

“ Figures. “ A mere mutter, heavy with preoccupation as he glanced about the blackness that embraced them ever tighter. Even his feigned humour gone, he ground his jaw, one hand landing on the hilt of his knife.

“ There is thicket on both sides of this road. “ He remarked suddenly, decisive. “ It comes at us, we split. If it is large as you say, it might not be able to follow betwixt the trees. “

And not both of us at the same time, at least. That part he wouldn’t say, lest he be taken for one eager to sacrifice, be it himself or his companion. Which he wasn’t, but it was the sensible choice in dire straits. Submit to fate.

“ Don’t suppose you’ve a spare sword? “

You could cut the tension with a knife, it rolled off of each man and horse alike. The waiting was the worst, though knowing was just as bad. The night had swallowed them whole, if only Alaric had magic. Even a light to guide them would suffice.

"Aye, if it turns dire that is probably our best option. Though considering your lack of armor and weapon, I'd do my best to draw it's attention." He wasn't saying it to be the hero, it made sense in his brain. Syr Oliver was a trained knight, but he certainly was lacking in equipment.

Before Alaric could answer the question of extra weaponry, an explosion of movement caught the young knight by surprise. What appeared to be a mountain lion, nearly the size of Oliver's steed bore down on the man and his horse.

The squealing of the stallion broke the silence, claws rendering flesh to ribbons. Alaric tried to wrestle himself out of the saddled, the large cat distracted for now. He wrenched his sword out first, throwing it onto the path, panicked grunts leaving his lips as he tried to get away from the carnage.

Oliver

• Stressed
The air stirred, the shape of his companion rider literally torn from his side. Flesh was rent to shreds, a burst of blood painting the flank of his horse and spurring it into white hot panic in an instant. It gave a wild buck, head tossing, and the abruptness of it all was enough to throw him off.

He landed in but a muffled grunt, having braced for it. Hoof beats were fast distancing, splash of water suggesting the horse cleared the ditch and was fast making it through the field, towards the thicket. At the edge of his attention, bone and sinew crackled, the smell of iron and guts strong enough to make any man retch.

Despite the pain in his ribs and the acid in his throat, he rolled up slowly, wary of drawing the beast’s attention away from its feast. In the dark, metal shimmered, mere couple paces away. Dumbfounded, he stared at it, breathing in, the sound of a man fleeing reaching through the dark — click of armour, shift of garments. So Alaric was at least alive, but—

Had he just dropped his sword? Gods be good— And fuck me.

Breath held, he scrambled up and reached, grasped for the hilt. His free hand unsheathed the knife as he broke into a run, picking direction based on where he’d last heard his companion go. It took all his effort to not fall into his own blade on the way, foot catching some hole in the wet grass.

And here we are —
a whole brilliant plan outdone by instinct as he sought to catch up, dreading the moment he’d hear the beast come after them.

He had no idea what they’d do, if it did.

Alaric Wulf

Alaric managed to pull himself from the wreckage that had once bore him safely. The horse had stilled, no shrill cries piercing the night. He stood slowly, panting and gore covered. His eyes never left the giant beast that had shredded the night so abruptly.

He could hear the steps of Oliver, and he tried to edge away from the mangled corpse and the cat that fed on the flesh. Perhaps it would be enough to keep it occupied while they escaped.

He could see the outline of Syr Oliver now, and he held a hand up as he slowly made his way back to safety. He was sure he didn't need to tell Oliver to stay silent. He hoped that either his blade had been recovered, or that it could be recovered, just in case.

When he was a mere few feet from Oliver, did fate rear it's ugly head once more. The rumble of the giant behind him was enough to turn the lad pale as a ghost, he could already hear the heavy paws falling behind him. Horse flesh it seemed, was not enough.

Oliver

They reunited on the sinking grass of a field, mere shapes and sounds of startled breaths in the dark, but equally alive all the same. The joy of such a thing was short lived.

He closed the distance to Alaric in two swift steps and grabbed the lad by the shoulder, shoving him out of the way as the beast made to pounce upon the both of them. Paws ripped into dirt, jaws closing around empty air just so. Sidestepping again, he listened to the frustrated growl, recovered sword already aswing.

He held onto the hilt with both hands for more force, bringing the blade down from overhead to where ever he’d figured the beast’s neck was.

Alaric Wulf

Oliver had reached Alaric, in time to wrench the boy aside to safety. The sword had been recovered, the blade singing through the night air as Oliver wielded it efficiently. Gasps left the mouth of Alaric as he still tried to recover from the fear, and the panic that had sent adrenaline pulsing through his veins. He was shaking from the effect, his skin cold and clammy.

He could hear the grunt of exertion from Oliver as he swung the blade down, heard the screech of the beast as sword met flesh. Though sight was minimal, Oliver had found purchase, and Alaric was relieved. Howls of anger and pain pierced through the veil of darkness, the creature though maimed, had new prey in sight. Oliver was next in line, and Alaric lurched forward to assist, even without weapon in hand.

Oliver