Hello and Goodbye

Eleanor Griffin

Void Forger
Character Biography
Link
The sun was setting and the shops were closing all along the streets of Alliria. Long shadows and golden pools of sunlight reflected off buildings. Eleanor looked around as she walked alongside Luna. It felt strange to be back. Most people gave both of them a wide birth and no one recognized them. It was not like she had been well known before she left. Everything seemed exactly the same as it had been when she left, yet it all looked different. She was different.

Eleanor walked up to a woman who was packing up her flower cart and getting ready to leave for the night. The woman started at first, taken aback by Eleanor's offputting aura, but relaxed a little after getting a good look at Eleanor.

"Can I have a dozen roses, mixed red and white?" Eleanor asked. The woman nodded and wrapped up the flowers for her and Eleanor thanked and paid her giving her an extra tip before returning to Luna.

"I'm going to head to the graveyard. You don't have to come with me if you don't want to," She said.

Luna Slateforge

• Yay
Reactions: Luna Slateforge
“My place is by your side child. But some journeys must be completed on ones own. I will remain by the gate.”

Luna said with a slight smile under her mask. She stood ready to follow Eleanor to the grave sight. The city was a far cry form her normal comfort zone if the wilderness and she felt a presence that she didn’t particularly enjoy. She was tense and ready for anything but she kept a calm facade for her students sake.

• Yay
Reactions: Eleanor Griffin
Eleanor could tell that Luna was a bit tense. Even though she remailed calm and collected Eleanor could tell by her aura and by the way she held herself, her shoulders and how she watched everything around them. Though it didn't seem to be Eleanor's past that was making her uncomfortable. Her reactions to Eleanor's mentions of it was almost impartial. She was loyal and respectful but she also seemed distracted by something that Eleanor couldn't quite put her finger on.

"Thank's I won't be long," Eleanor said as they neared the graveyard. A gated encloser stood between buildings a tree growing up over the wall, a chapel steeple rising up behind it. Eleanor pushed open the gate and walked up the well-kept path. Taking a detour off the path she began to weave her way between the gravestones towards the back of the church. She knew exactly where she was going. Their family owned a plot on the Chapple grounds where her grandparents were buried and where her parents would be buried when they died.

She slowed as she neared it. There it was, a new stone, the family symbol of a Griffin beneath the name Terrance Griffin. Her breath caught and she faltered. It almost hadn't felt real till now. But it was. She walked up to it and knelt down on one knee placing the mixed roses at the base of the stone.

"Hey there," Eleanor breathed, tears welling up in her eyes and blurring her vision. "A lot has happened since I saw you last. I-" A tear ran down her cheek, "I'm much stronger, I can protect myself now," Tears were streaming down her face through a smile. "I love you, and I miss you," She whispered laying a hand on the top of the tombstone and bowing her head "I hope you're happy."

"Hey! What do you think you're doing?" A voice shouted behind her. She jumped and spun around. A boy of about 16, well dressed and gangly, brown hair brushed back and accusing green eyes.

"Brennen-" Eleanor gasped.

He stared at her for a moment then his eyes went wide and took a step back.

"Eleanor?" A look of confusion and shock plastered across his face. He looked her up and down again a hint of disgust coming into his face. "What happened to you? Why didn't you come back home?"

Eleanor sighed and a tired look came into her eyes and she looked away. "I wanted to. It was complicated," She had wanted to avoid this. She had never intended to see her living family again.

"Complicated?" Brennen snapped "That's it? Complicated. You just disappeared and we didn't know what had happened to you. Mother has been so worried that she's gone completely gray. And speaking of that, what happened to your hair?"

Eleanor scowled and the whispers intensified, it wasn't like she could tell him the truth. "I saved Terrance from a fate worse than death and I had to pay the price. That's all I can say about it." She said looking away and crossing her arms.

Brennen's expression softened a little "Will you at least come home now. Mother has been so worried, she won't even eat some days."

Eleanor sighed and looked back at him. She may have not gotten along with her family but she still loved them and she never wanted to hurt them like this. "I can't stay. I have a new life now. but I can visit. let them know I'm ok,"

Brennen smiled "Great, Mother will be so happy to see you." He said as they both began to walk back through the cemetery back to the gate.

Exiting back onto the street Eleanor saw Luna and remembered she hadn't come here alone.

"Ah, Luna... this is my Brother. Brennen, this is Luna... a friend," She said introducing them to each other. Brennen looked Luna over skeptically for a moment before begrudgingly offering his hand to shake.

"A pleasure to meet you miss," He said a bit tightly, more from sheer propriety then actual politeness.

• Yay
Luna was sharpening one of her knives as she did when she was nervious.

Though to those that didn’t know her she would be as apathetic and indifferent as ever if not with a little bit more edge to it. She sheathed it with a quick twirl.

Her eyes narrowed as she saw the new comer, but noticing he was with Eleanor and she seemed quite happy to be with him Luna relaxed.

“Pleasure to meet you as well.” She said softly. Looking at the hand for a moment as if trying to remember what to do before blinking and taking his hand. Giving it an awkwardly stiff shake.

“Eleanor..We..” She began to protest as she saw the visit wasn’t going to be as quick as she hoped. Detours were one thing...But this was turning into a visit. A visit meant angry family’s, dirty looks, bounties being put on heads, and gods forbid they run into her old teacher.

That woman made Luna feel queasy. Like she was always ready to strap Luna down on a table and cut her open until she found out what made Luna the way she was. It was silly, and irrational of course, and Luna knew she wouldn’t....Yet the feeling remained. So needless to say she was not happy to hear that this grave visit was turning into a home visit.

Her protesting fell silent after a glance from Eleanor and Luna fell silent in her protest. She was the one calling the shots here now. Luna would respect her decision and follow her with silent loyalty even if she hated every minute of it. Like a dog following it’s master through a thunder storm.

• Yay
"I know we are in a bit of hurry but this won't take long. Brennen has informed me that my mother has been ill on and off ever since I left. I want to see if there is anything I can do about it." Eleanor explained sensing Luna's discomfort. To be honest Eleanor was dreading the reunion just as much if not more than Luna. But with her newfound magic, she might actually be able to do something about her mother's failing health.

Eleanor took Luna's hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze "You don't have to come if you don't want to."

• Yay
“I can wait in the courtyard.” Luna said with a slight smile at the reassuring squeeze Eleanor offered her.

She simply waited and followed silently as Eleanor and her brother led the way to her students home. Luna for all of her hang ups about being here was curious to see where her sister had grown up. Her roots.

The streets were silent as they walked but any shady types seemed to avoid the group like the plague which suited Luna just fine. She would hate to have to kill someone in front of Sister Eleanor’s brother.

• Yay
It wasn't long till they came to a set of gates. Brennen pushed them open and lead them up a tree-lined path that came to an open courtyard in front of a villa. the grounds were filled with gardens but the twilight had cast everything in shadows and a yellow glow filled the windows of the house. Eleanor gave Luan a reassuring look before following her brother up the front steps.

Brennen burst through the door and called out into the house "Ma! Pa! I've found Eleanor! Eleanor has come home!"

Servents stopped and stared. A tall dark-haired man came out of the parlor and froze in the archway.

"Eleanor, is that you?" he asked.

"Yeah, it's me, nice to see you again Elric," She smiled.

"Eleanor?" A trembling voice could be heard calling from the parlor. Eleanor brushed passed Elric and stopped short. Her mother sat in the armchair by the window, a quilt across her lap. Her hair was completely gray and she looked so frail and pail.

"Mother," Eleanor gasped tears coming into her eyes as she rushed forward and knelt at her mother's side.

Her mother grabbed her gloved hand and looked her in the eyes, her eyes brimming with tears "Oh Eleanor it's really you, I can't believe your home," She cried pulling her close into an embrace.

------

Madam Valkery had been staying at the Griffin estate for the past couple of days. The Lady Griffin's health had been deteriorating and Valkery had been called back the help treat her, though it was clear her ailment was not a physical one.

Valkery walked down the treelined path back from the market. She had gone out to try and collect some rare ingredients that she had been unable to find in Elbion. She wore her usual fancy wide-brimmed hat kept on with a long hatpin. Her dress that night was a dark sea blue, high collared and long-sleeved as usual.

Valkery froze as she approached the house she saw a cloaked figure in the courtyard and she was sensing that same dark aura that came off of the followers of that dark cult. She could not make out who it was from here but that did not matter. It was a good thing she had just come from the market and her aura well was full from the bustle of the town.

She placed her basket on the ground. She then reached into a slit in her gown and drew a rapier and approached the figure, her shoes quickly clacking against the stone. "You have one chance, demon, to tell me why you are here before I run you through," She cried out without slowing her pace.

• Yay
Luna had seen her coming. Felt her coming. Her light was as thick and pungent as she was sure her darkness was to someone not of her faith.

She barely turned as the glint from her knife flashed in the light of the quickly lowering sun. A loud clang of steel clashing with steel rang in the air as the two figures met. Luna had blocked the strike trying to use her foes momentum to carry her past.

“Demon?” She asked quizzically shifting into a fighting stance. It was her presence she had been feeling this whole time. Before she could say more however she froze. A hot trickling sensation running from her side. She looked down to see blood flowing from a slash. Her mask fell away as well.

Cleanly cut to bits.

This woman was fast. Really fast. She gritted her teeth clutching her side for a moment before discarding her cloak and drawing her second knife, sinking into a fighting stance. She hadn’t given up on talking but with a foe this powerful one needed to be ready as often a second of an opening was all a foe like this required.

“I’m not here to fight Valkery.” She said softly. Her jaw tightening in pain as her new wound throbbed and black blood began to drip to the ground poisoning any plant life it touched and turning it into from full and green to shriveled black.

“So don’t make me. I would hate to have to explain to Eleanor why her old teacher is dead in her courtyard because you can’t keep yourself in check.” She spat. Dark tendrils beginning to pool around her.

She didn’t know what Valkery was packing in her magic arsenal, but she wasn’t taking any chances with that either.

“Besides. We both know you won’t beat me.” She said in a way that was simply matter of fact. She wasn’t taunting.

She was being honest.

• Yay
"I wouldn't be so sure about that," Valkery asserted drawing the foot-long silver pin from her hat and casting the hat aside. She now brandished the pin in her off-hand and the longer blade in her fore. Valkery watched as vile black tendrils of Aura began to come from Luna. One thrashed out to strike her. Valkery didn't even flinch as it seemed to deflect away from her as if off an invisible barrier. "Your tricks won't work on me." She pushed forwards attacking with her blades in quick succession. This time both her opponent's blads and the black void worked together to defend against her attacks. This was going to be a difficult fight, she could not afford to hold back or delay.

Valkery knew of ways to disrupt the functioning of a body on a fundamental level, she was also intimately familiar with Elvin physiology, she had treated and dissected enough to know. Valkery began attuning to her opponent's breath and presently Luna could feel a catch in her throat like something had stopped it. Almost like being choked by a pair of invisible hands.

• Yay
Eleanor finally pulled away to look at her mother, tears in both their eyes.

"Oh, I was so worried, but your back, you're alive," Her mother cupped her cheek in her hand a look of concern passing across her eyes "You're so cold dear, are you ill?"

Eleanor placed a hand on her mother's wrist and gently moved her hand away. "I'm fine, it's just a side effect of the magic I use." She explained carefully avoiding mentioning any details.

"And your hair?" Her mother asked brushing a strand of white hair from Eleanor's face.

"It's just the magic, like Valkery," She reassured clasping her mother's hands in her own.

"Ok, I'm just glad you're home." Her mother said smiling down on her daughter and planting a kiss on her brow.

Eleanor looked sadly up at her. "I can't stay. I have another life now. I just came to make sure you were ok,"

Her mother's brows wrinkled and her eyes searched Eleanors in confusion "But why? I don't understand, you came home."

Eleanor sighed, she hated to do this. A part of her wanted to stay here in this warm safe space. But she knew it wasn't truly safe and if she stayed they would all die. "I made a promise to someone, a promise I can't brake, and I can't come home for good until I have fulfilled it." Eleanor said standing up and planting a kiss on her mother's forehead. Through that kiss, she passed on a gift, what little healing she could impart without using the void.

Last edited:
  • Yay
Luna smirked. “Seems our defenses are equally impenetrable.” She said after having her attack blacked effortlessly and defending from her foes attack with equal ease. Then the madame began looking at her in that way.

That way that made Luna’s mind drift back to that feeling of examination. A person seeking to know you as intimately as a friend and being smart enough to look past any facade, with the soul purpose of harm and further knowledge.

It was then that she froze sinking to her knees the void seemed to sink into the ground and dissipate around her.

She clutched at her throat.

“H-how..” she gasped out dropping her blades. Her black eye remained open as her other was scrunched shut with pain. Her weakened shoulder throbbed as well from the effort of defending Valkerys attacks. She tried to cover it up hoping Valkery would simply chalk it up to fatigue.

Through the haze Of breathlessness she began to form a plan. It was risky but she counted on the madame being curious.

• Yay
Valkery saw Luna go down and the void dissipate. She didn't wast time, still maintaining concentration on her magical hold on Luna's breath, she drove forwards, blade striking at several vital points in quick succession. She could not afford to underestimate her opponent. She could not afford hesitation. She needed to take her out before she could call on her full power. Valkery could feel that Luna had not been using her full power. To be honest, Valkery was not using hers either. She was hoping she would not have to.

• Yay
Luna waited.

Her opponent needed to be close enough to strike. She allowed her to strike her the rapier piercing her chest a mere inch from her heart when she struck. She pulled the blade in deeper with a groan of exertion.

Pulling Valkery closer to her in the process before she sank her teeth into her shoulder sending a massive right hook into the madames perfect nose.

If this stunned her enough she would shove the woman to the ground the rapier still sank to the hilt in her chest.

It’s blade jutting from her back. She would ignore this however as she would then mount Valkery. Tendrils flowed around her as the attached themselves to the woman restraining her as more void blades seemed to materialize around her. Each hovering over a vital spot. They all came crashing down. But every single one missed at the last second. Mercy.

“That..really hurt..” Luna struggles out. Bits of black blood dripped from her mouth as she spoke splattering and staining the madames perfect dress. Her breathing was heavy as her injury began to catch up with her. Her right eye became in fluctuated as she hit her limit for the moment. “I s-should kill you..”

She said heavily. “But I won’t. For her..” She said softly before her void energy disappeared and she simply collapsed on top of the madame her cheek pressed to her chest as the void energy disappeared along with the blades.

• Yay
Eleanor turned to her brothers "Take good care of her," She said. Looking past them she saw her father pass through the hall and stride into the parlor. His aura was tight, Eleanor couldn't tell if he was angry with her or worried, probably both. He was a tall man and towered over her wordless.

Finally, he spoke, his voice bearly above a whisper, "Why didn't you come home?"

Eleanor looked at the floor "I have a promise I need to keep, I can't stay."

"No promise can be worth the worry you have put us through."

"You were the one who taught me to always keep the conditions of a contract. Now I really need to be going," Eleanor said moving past her Father for the door. He grabbed her wrist and she halted.

"I am your Father and I say you are not leaving," He ordered.

Eleanor stood frozen eyes locked on the floor before slowly looking up at him a dangerous fire in her eyes. All of the lights flickered out leaving the room in shadow and a chill filled the air. "Let go of me, Father."

His grip loosened and she pulled her arm away before striding for the front door leaving them in the dark parlor.

Valkery was taken by surprise as Luna took the strike strait on, charging up the blade and sinker her teeth into Vlakery's shoulder quickly followed up by a right hook before tackling her to the ground. Vlakery was pinned but quickly regained her senses deflecting the void blades as they struck at her heart and neck. Luna's words began to slur and in a moment she collapsed on top of her and the void dissipated.

Valkery shoved the other woman off of her getting up and pulling her blade from the woman's chest and held it up in front of her face inspecting the black blood that coated the blade. She could sense that Luna was still alive, if only just bearly. She was about to run her through again and finish her off but thought better of it. Instead, she pulled a small glass vile and a scalpel from a pouch under her skirt. Knelling down she took Luna's hand and cut an incision in her palm letting the blood run down her fingers and into the vile.

Corking it she tucked it back into the pouch. Then she noticed the large book strapped to Luna's side. She took the book and tucked it under her arm. She was about to lift Luna up and carry her off when the door to the front of the house opened. Vlakery didn't have to turn around to know it was Eleanor's presence she was feeling, if not tainted by the void.

Eleanor rushed towards them and knelt by Luna's side. Valkery just stood and watched her, her face impassive.

"Luna, Luna! Hold on, I've got you," Eleanor cried placing her palm over the quickly spreading black stain on Luna's chest. A black energy flowed down her arm into Luna.

The wound closed and Luna came back with a gasp. Almost as if a bolt of energy launched her up right from her back to her hands and knees.

Something was wrong.

While she had been healed almost instantly she remained pale and weak with a trickle of blood beginning to seep from her nose as sweat began to bead on her forehead.
“Thank you child. Y-your teacher and I were having a slight disagreement.” She said as the realization of what was truly wrong struck her like a bolt of lightening.

Her book! Where was her book!

She looked around frantically until her gaze fell on Valkery.

“You.” She said in a growl.

Her eyes narrowing as she pushed past Eleanor and moved to confront the madame.

“You have no idea what your toying with! You stupid, stubborn human.” She spat moving to tackle her again but only to succeed in falling at her feet. Her void magic struggled to form before it petered out to nothing. “Return it. For your own..safety..” Luna pleases trying to catch her breath. In her weakened state even simple act of standing had winded her.

The whisperers began as soon as she had tucked the book away. The void energy beginning to leak from the book snaking around looking for bare skin and a way to latch to her body.

They ranged from random warnings, to screams and sobbing, they told her of death and decay, of power and immortality. Void magic would finally find skin. Latching to it it began to seep into her skin and spreading under it branching through her blood vessels. “Fall.” She would hear a warm voice as the energy inside her forced her to her knees.

“So.” The voice sounded warm and pleasant. Like a handsome young man or woman were speaking.

Not that it was blended but seemed to switch to whatever Valkery herself found most pleasing to listen to.

“Your the one my forger thinks will oppose me...I’m not one to leave my Enemies to their own devices..So I’m here to make an offer...” He said smoothly with a chuckle.

“ Get it off of her Eleanor!” Luna yelled looking to her student. “Now! You know what will happen!”

• Yay
Eleanor rushed forwards to try and support Luna.

Valkery looked down her nose at her weakened opponent "I'm not human," She scoffed. She could hear the whispers, but she only analyzed them coldly. They sounded much like voices she had heard before, voices that had haunted her for years. the sound of powerful men telling her of the power they could offer her if she killed for them, the screams of her victims, or the cries of her comrades in arms as they died. But she had overcome them long ago.

Her vision went black and she let herself fall to her knees shifting to sit comfortably on her heels as if she was just on an evening picnic. If this beeing that had taken her student wished to speak to her, let it, she had a word or two to say herself.

It suggested that they make some kind of a deal is a soft honey voice that seemed to fluctuate in volume and tone but settled on a voice that almost sounded like her own voice.

Valkery smirked, "You sure know how to flatter a person but you took something of mine and I intend to get it back,"

------

Eleanor held Luna, she could feel her pain, she wanted to help her but the whispers told her to wait, their master wished to speak with Vlakery. Eleanor was torn, she wanted to help Luna, she wanted to keep Valkery from getting caught up in this but she couldn't disobey. "I know," Eleanor whispered, a tear coming into her eyes. Then she saw the light come back on in the house and the front door open, the silhouette of her father coming into the doorway. They couldn't stay. In an instant black tendrils from Eleanor's book lifted Luna up and they both ran off into the darkness using aura to boost her speed and endurance. She would have to come back for the book later but she couldn't linger and put the rest of her family in danger.

“Eh? W-what are you doing! Eleanor!” Luna began as she was pulled away by Eleanor’s void tendrils.

Every step they took further away from the book seemed to cause her to deteriorate further as she thrashed and struggled against the tentacles that held her trying like a maddened animal to get back to her book from sheer desperation.

“Eleanor! PUT ME DOWN NOW!” She screeched in a tone of voice that was far cry from her usual soft, neutral tone.

She had not heard her master speak and being separated from her book was causing her physical agony.

“Well I’m nothing if not charming.” The voice said casually.

“Ah..Yes..It seems I do have something of yours. Just as you have something of mine.” The voice said with a good natured chuckle. “Sadly I think the items of mine your holding right now are far less valuable and far more replaceable than what I have of yours..”

The voice continued smoothly. “I can offer you what you desire....All I ask in return is your loyalty.” The voice said seductively almost purring into her ear.

“And do not let your victory here lead your expectations astray. Luna is a priestess. A loyal servant to be sure, as well as a caretaker, a healer, a guardian...Not a warrior.” The voice paused for a moment letting its words sink in.

“Should you choose to continue to defy me you will find my warriors are far less....breakable..” It said slowly.

Last edited:
  • Yay
Once Eleanor felt they were safely away she stopped in a dark alley. The void pinned Luna down and covered her mouth with a tendril to stop her screaming form alerting everyone in the area to their presence.

Eleanor dropped down and straddled Luna as she struggled and bucked against the void, "I'm sorry, Hold on, hold in there, just a bit longer." She pulled out her own book and opening it she held it in one hand, while she held Luna's face down with the other. Eleanor began to breathe heavily and using her aura she almost forced Luna to sinc her breathing to hers. She felt a ghost pain shoot through her body, and her eyes went white. The book began to hover and the void energy that was holding Luna down began to pour into her. Running down Eleanor's arm and forcing its way through Luna to her heart. They both shared a moment of agonizing pain and then it all stopped. The pain was gone. The tugging pull in Luna was only a faint afterimage.

Eleanor let out a deep breath and removed her hand, the rest of the void falling away from Luna as Eleanor put her book away and got off of her.

"How do you feel," Eleanor asked carefully helping Luna sit back up "I've linked you to my book but you will have to stick close to me and you won't be able to fully use the void till we get your's back."

• Yay
Valkery listened patiently, her smug calm unwavering. When the voice was finished she smirked "Is that all you have have to offer? I can and will get my student back on my own, and here I was expecting something far more tempting. Was this all it took to get her to join you? I mean the child did have a weak sense of self but I'm disappointed that she could have been so easily turned after everything I taught her." She paused glancing thoughtfully up to the side. "I desire neither power nor wealth what could you possibly have to offer me?"

• Yay
Her eyes sprang open as her hands clasped around Eleanor’s neck.

“What did you do!? Was I dead!? Tell me you didn’t...” She paused midway through her wild eyes rant and looked down at her unmarked skin. “..oh..” She said seeming to realize something that calmed her immensely almost immediately.

“S-Sorry..” She said releasing Eleanor and embracing her. “I thought you..I hadn’t..” Luna rambled.

The pain had faded and the weakness plaguing her body before had vanished, but it still felt wrong.

She put this from her mind however and gathered her sporadic thoughts. An outburst like that needed explanation.

“I haven’t seen someone soul tie in a long time.” She said slowly. “ If I had been dead when you tied me...You would’ve made me a wraith.” She continued.

“To some the highest honor to others...A fate worse than death..” She pauses still catching her breath letting that information sink in before sinking onto her butt leaning against the alley wall.

“And also..Your old teacher is a bit of a..what do the mortals call them..Elise quite enjoys it a lot as well...” she pondered a moment before it seemed to occur to her.

“Ah. “A creepy bitch” I think is what she says..I think it applies..” She said with the ghost of a smirk.

“Not that I’m one to talk I suppose..” She chuckled. “So..What now pup..”

“I see...” The voice seemed almost disappointed.

“If wealth and power are all you think I have to offer you..Then we have nothing more to discuss.” The temperature would begin to lower to bone chilling.

“You and those that side with you think yourselves these beacons of hope when you are but simple candles to be snuffed one by one.” It chuckled softly.

“You are strong child, but no amount of strength will save you in the end. You’ve asked yourself what you have to gain by joining me, but I must wonder why you haven’t asked what you may lose by opposing me. Think on it.” The presence began to dissipate as it paused for a moment

“Oh and do be careful with that book. One of your kind hasn’t possessed one in decades. I’m curious to what may happen. Mostly I hope it kills you..” The presence would disappear before she could respond.

Last edited:
  • Yay
Eleanor Felt Luna's hands close around her throat. She felt her breath begin to leave her but she didn't fight it. When Luna regained her sense and let go she coughed and gasped for air rubbing her neck slumping to the ground near Luna. She glanced up at her as she explained about Wraiths and soul bonding. She had never heard of that, she hadn't been sure of exactly what she had been doing, she just knew that she could stop the pain Luna was in.

When Luna called Valkery a "creepy bitch" Eleanor looked at her in shock.

"She's not that bad, sure she took your book but..." She trailed off taking her hat off and tucking the loose strands of her hair behind her ear. "Anyway, we need to get your book back."

• Yay
As the temperature dropped Valkery hardly responded.

The voice spoke of beacons of hope.

"Hope is a waste of time," Valkery scoffed.

It then went on to threaten her before the vision faded. Valkery scoffed as her proper vision returned to her and her senses faded back into focus. A man was standing over her and she felt him gently shake her arm. She looked up at him.

"Ah, Lord Griffin, My apologies," She said taking his hand and letting him help her up, the book still tucked under her other arm.

"Madam Valkery, Where did my daughter go?" He asked.

"I didn't see, I'm very sorry, but this encounter has provided me with a lead. You will have your daughter back soon, you have my word," She said walking over and picking up her sword and her hat. "Now if you don't mind, the sooner I get started on this lead the sooner your daughter will be returned to you," He said placing the hat on her head and heading into the gardens.

Lord Griffin just stared speechless after her.

------

Valkery returned to the garden house which The Griffin had given to her for a research center. The small cottage had been rearranged with tables covered in veils and strange measuring instruments with stacks of books and loos papers strewn about on every available surface.

Valkery took the vile of black blood and set it in a wooden holder then moving some books she sat down in a chair, throwing a new log in the fireplace and lighting it with a thought. Then she opened the black book. She could still hear the whispers and feel the strength of the black aura that filled the book. It seemed as if the book held more aura than any single person could process at once, though she also noticed that the book that Eleanor had carried had felt even stronger than this one. Flipping through the pages she began to read. She was a fast reader. It was a big book but it would not take her long to finish, especially if she didn't sleep.

• Yay
“Well yes. I would think that to be obvious.” Luna said in her usual dead pan way.

“We will have to hit her hard. You’ll have to take point. I feel I may not be as much of a use fighting Eleanor. As the decades pass by I feel I’m getting worse at it.” She said with a pained ghost of a smile that disappeared as quickly as it came. She stood only to sink back down with a deep, guttural, cough.

“My wolf mother said scars are reminders of mistakes in battle. And I feel I’m making more and more. I’m not a fighter Eleanor. I’m a survivor. It’s a very different thing.” She sighed looking at the ground. “I’m a caretaker. A healer. I’m made to fix like a bandage. Elise and Syn are hammers made to destroy....” She trailed off for a moment before finally clarifying her thought. “I’m not sure how much longer this bandage can be used as a hammer..” She said finally.

Luna looked spent. Her mind was as frayed as her tattered clothes. She jumped at every sound and seemed scared of a slight breeze. Which made since as it seemed one could very easily knock her flat. But she was alive...whether she wanted to be or not. Truly the mark of a survivor

“So with my current state..It’ll be you that will have to get the book back. I have a feeling I was quite close to ending up strapped to a table and cut open after this last encounter.” Luna said finally ending her rambling.

• Yay
Eleanor shook her head sadly "If you are a bandage and they are hammers, that would make me a chisel. I create things. Though a chisel is better adapted as a weapon than a bandage." She knelt down next to Luna and helped her stand. "I know Valkery pretty well. She will come looking for us soon. She also isn't stupid. She will soon figure out that the book in harmful to her. She will not keep it on her person. She is probably staying in the garden house. If we return to the house we can hide and wait for her to leave." She explained putting an arm around Luna and guiding her back in the direction of the house.