Private Tales Forge works.

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Thraah

Fire Kitten
Character Biography
Link
"My butt hurts."
Thraah didn't like riding. Basic gave her some training but she still didn't enjoy it. She would have preferred to take a cart, or walk but the Academy has stables for use. So use them they did. A horse a piece, because "Dreadlords don't share!"
Greedy assholes.
It looked a monster underneath her, dreadfully tall and uncomfortably wide. She always stretched before getting on a horse but it never helped.
"How much farther?"
She whined, partly because she knew it annoyed the others and partly because Dreadlords also seem to love long periods of utter silence.
The road to Vel Castere was worn but slightly overgrown. Folk took the route but not as much as to other places. This pilgrimage to visit the forges was a strange one. Something about building character. Bah, Thraah had enough character. More than most anyways.
Above them birds lazily followed the path they took and to the left and right the rich plains of green bled onto farmlands. It was nice.
Would be nicer to walk.
"Somebody say something or I'll start singing. Don't test me, I will."

Last edited:
"Thraah." Came the stern warning from Zephyrine. The travel had been taking longer than they anticipated, but it was necessary to make stops for the horses to rest and refuel with food and water, and the same for the present company. She was fine to make the trip alone, having waited weeks for her request to be submitted and then approved, and then several more weeks to organise a time for her to depart. She did not know how Thraah found out she was about to leave, when it had only been Kor and Larkin she had told of her plans to learn the non-magical way to create weapons.

She was a perfectionist, and there had been an error in her materials as of late, resulting in adequate recreations of her chosen weapons.

Zephyrine told her woes to Proctor Urahil, who was teaching Zephyrine basic first aid, another theory she wanted to learn in hopes one day, her magic could understand recreating flesh and healing wounds. It was Urahil that made this visit happen, and with quiet anxiety, Zephyrine was prone to disassociating.

Which meant no one had been talking to Thraah.

That only asked for trouble.

"We have at least another hour. Maybe less, but this is the last hour, I swear." She threw her friend a pleading look. Zephyrine was not sure how the others in their small group were taking Thraah's bored musings.

Davi had missed the sun of his home county.

Vel Anir to the East and the Academy a little further South could hardly be called tropical. He had suffered twelve years of harsh winter snows, dreary spring rains, and summer storms. The odd moment of sunshine the residents called summer was positively laughable. He had always blamed his paled skin and thin frame on the Academy's brutalism but since moving back to where his soul called home, he was beginning to wonder if it wasn't something a little more. Six months back in the Cortosi climate Vel Castere enjoyed had seen colour return to his skin, his body to fill out and for muscle to develop. Of course, Cookie's quiet and determined mission to see him pack on the pounds had helped too.

Despite his position being secure amongst the Knights, Davi still found it hard not to spend every moment he could outside in the glorious sunshine in case he would be forced back to the Academy. Which was why he had volunteered that morning to take the afternoon patrol. In the high sun most Anirian's suffered when out on the march for longer than an hour. He'd taken the opportunity to test out one of the new forms he had been working on; a speckled golden eagle native to the mountains to the North of Castere but that were often seen further south when the fish were more scarce up river.

From his birds eye view he'd spotted the Initiates and Guards that made up the little group an hours walk from the great fortress. He'd followed for a while to listen to their conversation and confirm the reason for their visit before returning to the fortress to report. By the time the group finally trundled up the path, a group of Dreadlords were waiting to greet them.

What was the trick to meditation? If you sit still and breathe at the right tempo for long enough, you were supposed to reach some sort of spiritual enlightenment? Unlock some tucked away potential within oneself — tap into some unfathomable power?​
Bull. Shit.​
Elias sat on his folded knees facing away from the road. He bathed in the sunrays, let the boon of his radiance course through his veins. He emptied his mind best he could to focus on feeling and understanding the flow of magic within him. Be more efficient. Make it be like breathing.​
A call for his attention broke his concentration. A heavy sigh. Elias opened his eyes and rose to his feet to join his companions and former classmates.​
Thick, muscled arms folded, Eli opened his mouth to voice a complaint, but almost as if she anticipated it, Black jabbed her elbow deep into his ribs.​
Furrowed brows. A second sigh heavier than the first.​

Last edited:
They weren't out here because they were expecting company. While Sam had known that, at some point in the next week or so, an Initiate from the Academy would be arriving for mentorship, the road from there to Castere was quite long. Weather, road troubles and conditions, among many other things could make or break the length of the journey. The Initiate could arrive today or in a week. Either way it mattered little, she'd be here. The General had made it clear he wanted her to remain in the city and continue working on his order.

So they were out here as part of a weekly routine. A run beyond the city walls in the fresh air of the countryside. With Davi on patrol and Eli between missions, that meant the latter would be her running partner. They'd taken a break somewhere short of the southern gates, not in a hurry to head back in just yet. Eli'd wanted to test out meditation and Sam? Well, a nap had sounded pretty damn good considering the non-stop work hours in the forge she'd been pulling lately.

She'd been nicely settled into that nap too, giving Eli his necessary quiet time, when Davi arrived on fresh wings to report the approach of not one, but two Academy initiates and a retinue of Guards.

Odd. Sam couldn't recall ever being sent anywhere with Guards when traveling for training. Just how soft had the Academy gone on these kids now? She stood, she stretched, she moved down to where Eli had been sitting along the road and stood there for a while watching the road, armor gleaming under the sun. Spied the approaching group, narrowed her eyes as they shortly grew from pinpricks on the horizon to forms passable as horses and riders.

Felt Elias' bellyaching long before he could suck in enough breath to do it. Elbowed him in the side for good measure, "Don't..."

Behind her she could hear wings swooping. Maybe Davi, maybe not. Could never really be too sure.

"Hold," she called to the small caravan of riders as they approached and stepped out into the middle of the road before them, "state your names, titles, and business in Vel Castere."

Thraah spoke first.
"We're Initiates from the Academy. This one is Zeph, she's here to see you lot about crafting stuff and I'm Thraah, her plus one."
She jabbed a thumb at Zeph then at the guards about them.
"This is Tonny, Tanny, Tonky and Bonky. They've been told not to talk to me."
They had been, or at least it seemed like they had been. The whole trip Thraah couldn't get more than directions out of them.
Quickly she swung her leg and slid from the saddle, grateful for the relief it brought her legs and back.
"So who are you lot then?"

Zephyrine dismounted from her horse and approached the one that addressed them. "I have a missive here." She had kept it close to her all journey, and finally Zephyrine could hand it over in the same condition she had gotten it. It detailed the information of one Zephyrine Caddel, to travel to Vel Castere for further training.

"And, the ammendment." Zephyrine held out the personalised letter from Proctor Urahil, who had used her connections to secure this visit for Caddel."Stating that Thraah was a late addition."

The Guards that had accompanied them strolled on ahead and showed their identifications and missives of their transfer. When Zephyrine and Thraah had stopped in Vel Zrada, the very city she had been born in, they were met with the Guards that offered them some company for the road ahead.

"That letter also says, I am told, that because we are missing some time from our lessons, we are to assist you and your company with anything. Thraah can work with fire, and... I can recreate things. That is why I am here." Zephyrine was not one to further elaborate unless asked. The back and forth letters before her departure, and the missive and letter, everything was made clear as to why this Initiate was here.

Learning how to hand make materials and weapons would be most advantageous for Zephyrine, who relied on the pouch at her side full of scrap materials to create weaponry. The Proctors were certain she would one day go beyond simple base constructs and conjure anything that came to her mind.

Davi Elias Samantha Black Thraah

The Golden Mountain Eagle who had been perched upon the curved stone gave a soft caw. He had alerted the General to their latest arrivals as Sam had requested when he had first brought the news to her. Another caw - a single one instead of two - which conveyed their agreed upon code; they were Sam's problem for now.

Elias was anything but thorough in checking the Guards' papers. At least they had some. Signed and sealed by some Major. It wasn't his job to nitpick the discrepancies of transfer documents. He handed them back nearly as quickly as he got them.​
"Good grief, thought I was going to go mad," Elias heard the Guardsmen talking among themselves as they continued down the trail. They seemed eager to be away from the Academy pups and to report in to their new duty station.​
"The mouth on that one..." Another said. And they were gone.​
Eli steps up to flank Sam. He was quiet, arms folded, and towered above the present company. When she was identified, Elias glared at the other fire-user.​

Last edited:
"Dreadlord Black," Sam replied as she took the papers proffered by the younger redhead and perused their contents with far more scrutiny than Eli, "Knight Lieutenant of the Dragonsbane Squadron. This is Dreadlord Sol," she tipped her head to the tall, imposing man who moved to stand at her side.

"Dreadlord Nevarro is ... somewhere around here," Sam gestured absently about the general area. He was want to remain to the shadows and it would come across as rather odd to introduce a bird as a Dreadlord... at least before they met him and learned of his abilities.

The addition of Thraah gave her no pause. There was more than plenty of work to do here to keep the Initiates exhausted, as the Academy would prefer, and depending on Thraah's capabilities she could easily slot her under Elias's mentorship for their visit. She schooled the smirk from her expression thinking about just how thrilled he would be to hear it.

"Welcome to Vel Castere," the Lieutenant replied as she folded the papers and handed them back to Zephyrine, "as you will be my wards for your stay, you will refer to me as Lieutenant Black or Ma'am. You are not the leave the city without my permission. You will both be assigned a work and training schedule during the week and will have the weekends free to yourselves. I will see that you are provisioned cots in the training barracks and provide you both with your assignment papers this evening."

She passed a level gaze over them both, "Are there any questions?"

Thraah's hand shot up like a flag on memorial Day.
"Yeah, What's-with-the-bird-Is-there-a-curfew-here-Is-it-true-this-place-was-built-on-an-ancient-Dwarf-pet-cemetary-Why-is-the-bird-looking-at-me-What's-the-punishment-for-breaking-curfew-Can-me-and-Zeph-be-roomies-Where's-the-bathroom-Did-you-guys-hear-about-the-eclipse-What's-for-dinner-Seriously-what's-with-the-bird?"
It looked like it was staring, to be fair everyone was at that point. Thraah was beginning to feel she had been loose with her tongue again and checked with Zeph via glance.
Yep, too many words again.
"... I mean eh, Ma'am."

Zephyrine winced as Thraah began to speak, for she knew her friend well enough that she was about to run their ears off.

"I think what Thraah meant to say is that we are grateful for this opportunity. My first question is where can we freshen up? It has been more than a week since I had a proper bath. Horses aren't the best smelling."

The Initiate known as the Recreator looked up at the other Dreadlord present. She gave him a curt nod. "We know the rules. We will abide by them." Tawny eyes cut to her friend, narrowing her gaze. Zephyrine would not tolerate being brought down by any of Thraah's troublemaking.

They were now in the hands of Dreadlords, away from the Academy.

Davi - Elias - Samantha Black - Thraah

The bird cocked its head to one side.

Then the other.

Now he understood what the guards had been muttering about when they had passed through. With a big sigh for a bird he spread his wings and launched into the sky; he had absolutely not agreed to deal with that.

Elias canted his head towards the sound of flapping wings. He uncrossed his arms and turned to watch Davi fly off. Fists balled at his side, he began to mutter all manners of profanities under his breath.​
"Ohoh, I'm gonna pluck you bald next time I see you, cunt," Eli's lithic mask of a face cracked into a wry smile. He planned to give Davi hell for leaving them with the kids, but the truth was Eli would be well over his frustration the next time he saw their shifting companion.​
He turned to face the Initiates, "The barracks have an attached communal bathhouse. It's far from proper, but better than what you're used to at the Academy."​

Last edited:
The Lieutenant's gaze remained relatively deadpanned as the one called Thraah briefly seizured at the mouth with word-vomit. Seven hells, this one was going to be ... interesting. At least the other had some sense about her. A heavy, dark brow quirked at the pair of them, silence reigning in consideration of a response until Elias beat her to it. His simpler approach was probably better.

"Staff Sergeant Reicher at the Barracks will give you a rundown of protocol and schedule for while you are staying there," she turned and motioned for the girls to follow as she and Elias lead them along the road to the southern gates of the city. Her gaze briefly spied the form of the eagle sailing away to freedom and she made a mental note to ensure he was well-involved with the Initiates and their training.

It would do Davi some good to take charge of something.

"I have preparations in order for you at the Hammerhall Forges, Initiate Caddel, that will cover the training requested by Proctor Urahil. You are also here to learn forge techniques, Initiate Thraah?"

Unbeknownst to all, even Zeph, Thraah had her own reasons for coming to Vel Castere.
It was home of the one and only Anir Ball Dragon League Hall of Fame/Museum and she was going to see it if it killed her.
"Uuuuh!"
She hadn't been listening to Sam, she was thinking about stealing Anir Ball relics, like the ball Slick Beasley used to score his first point with.
Another quick glance at Zeph told her to keep it quick.
"Sure, yeah. Sounds like a blast."
Above them, the bird left... like it was sick of looking at them. Weird to see an eagle just hang out close to a city. A village or town sure but Cities were noisy and had too many places for prey to hide. And people tended to get awry if you swooped in on them in the street.
"Yo, your bird left."
She pointed at the flying figure getting smaller and smaller. Why nobody was talking about the bird struck her as odd but graduates were weird. Heck, the entire republic was full of oddballs so she tried not to judge.

Zephyrine Davi
Samantha Black Elias

Patience was the first thing Proctor Caddel taught Zephyrine growing up, but Thraah had a unique way of disarming such practice.

She closed her eyes, softly exhaling with her lips moving, as if in prayer. Once she opened them, she gave a grim smile to Lieutenant Black before they started up the road, making their way to the city.

"Either of you overseeing our work?" She asked, pulling her horse behind her. It felt good to stretch her legs, ignoring the burning in her muscles. "Or will there be more faces for us to memorise?" Memorising, she was good at. She liked going over names and faces, recalling any detail about them. To Zephyrine, it meant she was alert. An old practice taught to her by the late Proctor that raised her.

Elias slightly turns his head back one way to address the brunette. His temper rises alarmingly fast at her almost dismissive response to Sam, which he checks just as quickly. "You bored? Don't wanna be here? Pay less attention to the fuckin' bird and mind who's speaking to you."​

Then the other way to answer the redhead, "Lieutenant Black will be responsible for officially evaluating the pair of yous. As we're assisting with your training, you should also expect feedback from Dreadlord Nevarro and myself."​

Content to let Elias handle the whelps for now, Black lead the group in through the southern gate of Vel Castere. Aside from being near half the size of Vel Anir, Castere's grandeur so far as a fortress city went was on par with the capital. It mimicked the great architecture of the city, though the quarried stone was somewhat different here than what they'd used in Anir. So close to the drylands of the west, it cast a stark contrast to the sky with its dark, stone structures.

"You will receive introductory lessons with one of the Grade C Blacksmiths," she followed Elias' words as they stepped along broad wooden bridge that crossed a moat, "once you have received a passing note from them on the craft of a dagger, I will take you on myself and teach you how to forge a shortword. By the time you leave here, you will have the knowledge and skills needed to create novice quality pieces. I have been given a month to train you - it is up to you to put in the time and effort."

She wasn't a Proctor. There would be no hand-holding or caretaking here. These Initiates would be expected to keep their own self-discipline if they wished to utilize their time here wisely.

Elias words earned Thraah's full attention and she held his gaze, as something primal and powerful passed in the air between them. She refused to budge as Sam entered the City.
"Go ahead Zeph. I'll catch up."
Her bluster was gone, her careless words sharp and short now.
She was gonna fight this nerd. Right here, right now and she didn't want Zeph anywhere near when she handed him his own ears on a plate.
Already Thraah was bringing her temperature up to dangerous levels. Her hair drifting on the rising air around her.
"Sol, was it?"
In her mind his name held the same feeling as Mercer's did.

Zephyrine Elias Samantha Black

Last edited:
Zephyrine gave Thraah an odd look, but went ahead either way. Already she was clued in to what her friend was up to, but the Initiate was not going to get involved in whatever mess Thraah was stirring. All that came from her was an exasperated sigh before following Lieutenant Black.

Whatever reason Thraah had in accompanying, it was not the same level of aspirations as Caddel's. It was detrimental she learned basics in smithing, to reacquaint her knowledge of materials to better strengthen her recreation magic. Lately, the quality in weaponry created without a base material had become brittle and unreliable. Instead of learning with some regular smithy, Proctor Urahil pulled many strings to ensure Zephyrine was to learn from the undisputed best blacksmiths.

It was the time alloted that sunk her heart, but already being away from the Academy so long had her ready.
"Daggers are the easiest for me to recreate, but I never learned how to recreate perfect balance in weapons. I'm eager to learn what I can, Lieutenant. A month is generous, so thank you for accepting this unusal request to take me on as an apprentice." Perhaps Zeph had doubted the influence a lowly Fourth Rank Dreadlord could have, but upon meeting Perrine Urahil for basic first aid lessons, she knew miracles like this were possible for a woman that made many connections in her work.

"And I feel it must be said now: apologies for my friend, Thraah. Haven't known her long but... she is a passionate type. Suppose that is to be expected from those that wield fire." She smiled sheepishly, shrugging. "She came to the Academy after the Revolution... those types have a different zeal about them compared to the rest of us."

• Derp
  • Gasp
Reactions: Davi and Thraah
A quick meeting of gazes was had between Eli and Sam, and as the latter began to make her way into the fortress-city with the other Initiate in tow, the former quietly watched their backs until they were gone. Then he turns and sizes up the spirited brunette with a dark brow arching up in mild curiosity, but as he finishes his visual assessment of her his countenance twists like he bit into a lemon wedge.​
"Dreadlord Sol," he corrects Thraah.​

Last edited:
"We were all apprentices to someone, back before the Revolution," Sam remarked. While she primarily served under Captain Holstag, she'd taken on an apprenticeship with the Academy blacksmith in her newly granted free time post-revolution. Beyond that, she'd taken weekends in the capital to learn with the best smiths available there. Zephyrine was, perhaps, skipping some steps here but Sam would never begrudge efficiencies.

As for the one called Thraah. Well...

"Don't apologize for her, Initiate Caddel. There are very few things in life we can control, least of which are the actions of others. She's Dreadlord Sol's problem right now."

Last edited:
"No..."
Thraah undid the chain and let fire flow from her hand down its length as she started whipping it up into a circle.
"You're DEADLORD SOL!"
Thraah lunged forwards towards Elias into a sprint, spitting gouts of fire from her mouth as she did so and lashing out with the flaming chain.

Elias

Zephyrine kept her head straight, not letting herself look back as she heard Thraah shout. She was unable to decipher what was said, but Thraah yelling at any capacity didn't warrant much thought. "Right, she is someone else's problem now." Zeph kept in step with the Lieutenant, chewing at her lip as she did her best to stop worrying about Thraah.

Why had she come? This was one of the important things Zephyrine needed to learn before she could tell herself she was ready to leave the Academy. This trip was for her. She had looked forward to being solitary for weeks, to go back to her roots of training on her own. She had always done her best alone...

"You mentioned another Dreadlord earlier. Am I to expect training with them also?" Small talk was not at all her forte, but Zephyrine needed something to talk about and forget the world of trouble Thraah was brewing for herself.

• Cthuloo
  • Derp
Reactions: Davi and Thraah