Fable - Ask First Day of Class

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first

Orion

Remains of a Man
Character Biography
Link
===

This tow both a home and a prison. How very fitting.

Miane

Last edited:
The moment Miane stepped into the town, she realized she had possibly made a grave error.

She hadn't asked about Trastus or its Magical Academy while she was in Elbion several days prior because she figured no one in the town that housed the College of Elbion would want to talk about a competitor school. But when she'd stopped in Kamarhan to hire a ferry across the river, whenever she asked about Trastus, she got odd looks, and people scurried away.

One older woman had finally at least pointed to the road that would lead to the town, though she'd mumbled something about curses and ghosts. It had only taken Miane a day or two on foot, though, and she hadn't met any trouble along the way.

Trastus was silent, though. Eerily so. Especially for a town this large in the middle of the day.

Quietly, she reached up and stroked the feathered breast of the barred owl, Akea, which sat upon her shoulder. Then she nudged him, moving her wrist to where he could easily grasp it and hop on, and she felt him do so very carefully and gently, mindful of the fact that she didn't have her thick leather gloves on at the moment.

She lowered the bird to face her. She didn't need to maintain eye contact to speak with him through her mind, but she needed it for the initial connecting moment.

What do you think, Akea? she asked. Is it abandoned?

Akea fluffed his feathers out and flapped his wings. He rarely communicated with her through words, but she could feel his desire to take flight. "All right," she murmured aloud, though it felt like the sound of her voice broke a somber silence, and she tossed him into the air from her wrist.

She kept their minds connected so he could warn her instantly if there was something of concern as he soared over the town.

Miane quietly wandered the streets. The buildings were all in some sort of disarray and disrepair. Weeds were overgrowing the cobbled streets, and there was no sign of life.

Not even rats.

Slowly, her footsteps led her towards the three towers at the opposite end of the town.

She glanced up at the sky. Akea had not seen anything so far.

Be careful of the towers, she spoke to him. The town seems to be abandoned, but that doesn't mean the towers are unmanned. I don't want you to get shot.

She felt, more than heard, the owl's agreement.

"Hello?" she called out as she neared the towers, her hand resting lightly on the hilt of her sword in case she had need to draw it. "Is there anyone here?"

Orion

The dark-robed mage had been gazing listlessly up at the azure sky from just beyond the three towers that the Academy consisted of, his thoughts lost in the silent breeze and gentle sounds of the nature that had slowly begun to fill his home over the last few years. The voice of another person in Trastus; To Orion, it was like hearing the cry of a wild beast in one's own home, so foreign and unexpected that it sent shivers up and down his spine merely with how out of place it was.

At first, searing anger ripped through his veins as though his blood boiled and seared at the notion of anybody encroaching in the land that he'd looked after for so long. He could feel the muscles across every inch of his body tighten, his breath growing shallow and his chest fluttering as he brought his head down to stare eye to eye with his visitor.

A woman slim and feminine in figure slowly made her way down the main street of Trastus towards him, calling out in greeting. How dare she set foot in Trastus, approaching his Academy without fear? That question rippled through his mind as his teeth clenched, mind slipping behind a miasma of rage, threatening to submerge him in his hatred completely as she slowly came further and further into view.

Surely she was either brave or foolish, but it mattered not to Orion. His gaze was wide; sunken and sullen features alight with emotion as he raised his hand towards her and felt the energies that surrounded and flowed from within him swell and push out from his palm.

It would feel to her as though she walked against an invisible force that pushed her back, or a powerful gust of wind against her stride.

"You walk in Trastus, doomed and forgotten." The voice of the once esteemed instructor boomed with authority as he stepped forward to begin walking towards her, the silver trinkets that hung from his belt clinking softly against one another. "There is no bounty to be gained here. No riches to be pilfered. The only thing you will accomplish by stepping foot near these towers is your own demise."

It wouldn't have been the first time bandits or looters had attempted to search the Academy for valuables. They never expected a powerful mage to reside within the walls, and it had become a regular part of his day to scour the town for unwanted occupancy. As Orion neared closer to his guest, the force coming from his hand would lessen.

He was so focused on the woman that he hadn't noticed the owl she'd arrived with at all.

"Either state your purpose or leave this place. I wish not to kill." The pinpoint pupils of his silver eyes remained locked on her, but his voice grew softer. The energies he gave off were wicked and malicious, but it seemed that the man they surrounded did not share their nature.

Miane

Miane barely caught sight of the figure of a man robed in black, sunlight glinting off his silver belt, before his hand was raised and an invisible force slammed into her. She only took a couple of more steps before she realized it was futile to continue to advance, fighting against this... unseen wind that only seemed to be blowing against her.

Her footsteps stilled, hand tightening around the hilt of her sword to draw it if this man came close enough to be an actual threat.

"You walk in Trastus, doomed and forgotten." The voice of the once esteemed instructor boomed with authority as he stepped forward to begin walking towards her, the silver trinkets that hung from his belt clinking softly against one another. "There is no bounty to be gained here. No riches to be pilfered. The only thing you will accomplish by stepping foot near these towers is your own demise."

She could feel the rage emanating off of him, but was uncertain what she'd done to actually stir it up. Slowly, with her free hand, she reached toward the leather satchel slung over her shoulder.

"Either state your purpose or leave this place. I wish not to kill."

Miane did not get a chance to answer. Panic filled her as she saw Akea, wings spread, swoop low behind the stranger, talons stretched wide to slash.

Akea, no! Wait! she shouted through their bond, simultaneously dropping her hand from her sword hilt and stretching forward to try and reach the stranger in time to pull him down, out the path of the owl's talons, or to dart behind him and stand between him and her angry familiar.

"Get down!" she called out as she fought against the invisible force, hoping that the stranger would listen. And hoping that he would not turn and slay Akea in midair.

Orion

The twisted and fragmented mind of Orion echoed silent screams and whispers into his thoughts, all of them conflicting and clashing with one another as his remaining sanity was put to task in the presence of unexpected company. Was she foe? Was she friend? He couldn't decide, and as he walked closer to his ensnared visitor his misty grey eyes would roam over her form as though they searched for that answer.

"She's still gripping that blade."

"This could easily be a misunderstanding."

"Kill her, before she can kill you."

"You're better than this. Talk to her."

"Get down!"
Her cry breaks his concentration, the tunnel vision that focused so intensely on the mysterious woman opening wide to take in the world around him once more as he awakes from his maddened trance quite suddenly. The woman had released her weapon and now looked panicked. The flow of the energy from his hand against her stops, his arm recoiling back in momentary confusion before he heard something approaching him from behind.

He turned on his heel, facing whatever new threat came for him. Even if he'd been expecting an avian attacker he wouldn't have been fast enough, and the searing pain of talon against flesh spreads across his cheek as he makes a failed attempt to step aside.

The cloaked man staggers back, hands moving up to clutch his face as a sharp hiss of pain leaves his lips. The pain was grounding, pulling him back to reality and lifting the veil that filtered his vision an angry red. His pale hand moved away from his face, scarlet drops of blood resting in the fold of his palm. He was scratched, but the wound was far from dangerous.

In fact, this strange woman had likely been what saved him.

Straightening himself and wiping more blood from the cut that ran from the corner of his mouth across his cheek, he turned to watch as his attacker, an owl of all things, returned to its Master. Yes, he was thinking much more clearly now... He'd been quite hasty in his aggression. Using his non-bloodied hand to brush some hair from his eyes, he bows at the waist slightly.

"You could have easily allowed my throat to be clawed out by your companion, and yet you alerted me even as I attacked you. Please forgive my behavior..."

Straightening once more, he spreads his arms in some attempt at a greeting. "Welcome to Trastus, once proud home of magic and all of its practices. Now, little more than a remnant of its former splendor..."

Miane

Miane stumbled as the force fighting against her suddenly vanished, but barely kept her feet. She flinched as Akea's talons tore across the man's face before she could reach either of them, and threw out her gloved hand, calling the owl back to her.

She watched, her attention split between securing Akea and the actions of this stranger, as the black-robed man wiped away the blood on his face. She was, at least, relieved to see that her warning had been sufficient to keep Akea from ripping out his eyes.

As the man turned and bowed, though, Miane hesitated. The sudden change in his demeanor was... strange. He spoke, though, and while she was tempted to settle her sword-hand on its hilt again, she refrained.

"You could have easily allowed my throat to be clawed out by your companion, and yet you alerted me even as I attacked you. Please forgive my behavior..."

Straightening once more, he spreads his arms in some attempt at a greeting. "Welcome to Trastus, once proud home of magic and all of its practices. Now, little more than a remnant of its former splendor..."

"My apologies, for his attack," Miane murmured. "Akea only noticed that I felt threatened."

She looked past him, at the towers, noticed that no guards had come to the man's defense. And that was so very, very quiet. Just like the town.

"This is Trastus, then?" she asked, reaching into the leather satchel at her waist. "It's... former splendor?"

Her brow furrowed as she withdrew a worn, leather-backed journal. "My late mother's journal said there was a school of magic here. That one of her cousins worked here. I was hoping..."

Miane's voice faded away as she took in the sight, once more, of the single man, the strangeness in his eyes that hinted at a sanity that fought with madness, and the all too quiet town and school.

"I guess what I hoped is futile," she said, disappointment laced through her voice now. "I'm sorry to have disturbed you. I can tend to your wound, then Akea and I will leave you in peace."

Orion

Orion could only offer a sad curl of his lips, some semblance of a blood-streaked smile as she spoke of what Trastus had once been, of what she'd thought it still was. The life of Trastus was as dim and faded as Orion's, and all that remained of it was within him.

"You were far from the only to feel such a threat's presence..." Orion slowly collected some of his hair in his hand, long black lines running along his skin and in-between his fingers. Normally, he saw fit to mentally prepare himself when expecting company, and as unstable as he tended to be it was quite a necessary preparation. "This is all that remains of the City of Magic, and I am all that is left to defend its memory. My visitors usually tend to have intentions far less... pure." His vigilance had twisted into paranoia, and for that, he was already scolding himself internally.

Tucking those locks he held between his ear, to do her the courtesy of gazing upon her with both eyes, he slid his hands behind her back. So, she was related to one who had worked for the academy? There were many positions to be filled when Trastus was at peak capacity, so it was quite believable.

Upon learning that her goal was in ruins, however, she seemed quite upset. Yes, he remembered the looks on the faces of the students here when that unforgivable tragedy had ended their instruction. Who exactly had brought about such a travesty, though? Of course, it was folly for him to feel sorrow for those who suffered at his own hand...

Did he feel sorry that they were no longer able to be taught? Or that he could no longer teach them? Maybe he was so selfish.

Maybe there was a chance to rectify such selishness.

"You leave so hastily. This Academy is defunct, indeed... but what you seek may still be intact. The only hands that have been laid upon this land since it's abandonment are mine own, and the echoes of my instruction ring through the halls. You claim your mother relates to a member of this City? Then by blood-right, you are Trastian; just as entitled to these calm, dead winds as I."

It may have been a minor stretch, but there was truth to his words. Trastus had always accepted the families of those who helped maintain it as its own.

Miane

Miane huffed a little, embarrassed now as she recalled the many odd looks she'd received as she asked in the larger towns about Trastus. "No wonder people gave me a wide berth when I'd bring up Trastus," she commented, the corner of her mouth twisting up wryly. "Surely they all thought I was either insane or a criminal."

Her smile fell away quickly, though, and she glanced down at the journal in her hands as the man tucked his hair behind his ears. She ran her thumb along the worn spine, wondering what her mother would have said to find Trastus in this state.

She looked up when the man began to speak again, and though she had no change of expression on her face, her heart leapt into her throat when he said then by blood-right, you are Trastian.

Her whole life, she'd been other. Whether because of her family's quiet resistance to the Shtakmat State in refusing to convert to their religion, or her position as lady of the keep now that both her parents were gone, or having to hide her abilities. Abilities she hadn't even known came from her mother until just a few short months ago.

"Trastian?" she murmured quietly. "You say you were an instructor here?"

She reached up to stroke Akea's feathered breast where he'd settled on her shoulder, wondering if perhaps her journey had not been futile after all.

"I came in search of an instructor," she said softly. "But I think first we should tend to the wound Akea left on your face."

Orion

The thin lips that rested on the face of Orion curled into some semblance of amusement when the woman recounted the ire she'd drawn for her curiosity. "It's unlikely that they thought such a thing of you..." He began to speak lowly, muttering in a hushed breath as though she were much closer than she was. In that moment, Orion felt as though she were nearer to him, to all of Trastus, than she could have ever known.

Instruction. Yes, that was the prevailing goal of many who had traveled to this land when it thrived. Once, this place had been a monument to education, a shrine to mastery and understanding of the arcane. "Instructor? Yes... but more than that, I was one of the three headmasters who oversaw everything. I am the last headmaster, as well." As he spoke, one of his hands lifted to run a single finger along the break in the skin where her companion had struck him. The warmth of his own life ran slowly down his finger and the back of his hand.

There was no pain; it had been long since his nerves worked normally, registering all that they should. What was left in its place was relief; blood was a reminder that he still breathed. It was a reminder that he was human, and he had not lost that yet. It may have seemed an easy thing to forget, but to Orion, his humanity was all that he truly had left of himself.

"My wound will heal. It is far from dire, thanks to you. You seek instruction in the arcane, but I fear such a desire may be lost here. The only option you have is a slowly withering mage barely able to control his own abilities, let alone bolster another's..."

No, the time of Trastus as a place of learning had long passed. Now, it was a ruin. A remnant of times prosperous and wonderful, haunted by the man who'd put that time to an end. Orion loved Trastus, but he had also doomed it. For him to take a student now... It would be an insult to the memory of those who died here, would it not?

The bigger question was, did Orion care?

"...However, we are both bound to this place. If you are in need of a guiding hand, then I shall not refuse you. To turn a neighbor in need of water back to the sands of the desert is akin to murder. Come, I will show you the place your Mother truly spoke of. The Academy."

He turns slowly, every second questioning his decision. Was this right? Did he have the capacity to do as she needed? He had no definitive answer for these questions, but he grew weary of waiting for death. At worst, returning to instruction would kill him. At best, he would regain the calling which he had lost so long ago. He would gesture her to follow close behind him with one hand, curling his fingers as he set off towards the three towers that loomed in the distance.

Miane

His voice grew softer then, and now that Akea was settled and calm once more, Miane stepped forward a few paces, till she stood within arms-length of the man.

"Please," she spoke when he reassured her his wound would heal. "Akea's talons are used to rip apart prey. Best to clean it at least once, and avoid infection later."

As he continued to speak, she listened carefully. He seemed... not quite sane, but really, she had few options. The College of Elbion was... too formal. It would take too much time for her to even get admitted the college, let alone begin learning. And from what she'd heard... it was better suited for those who already had a foundation in magic.

Her foundation was only just beginning to be cobbled together, in a smattering of knowledge pieced together from her mother's journals.

He turned toward the towers, then, offering her a tour, and as he gestured for her to follow, she quickly fell in close behind him. It would be easier to tend to his wound in a place where he could sit down, as well.

"I am Miane," she introduced herself as they walked. "What may I call you? Headmaster?"

Orion

For the duration of their gentle stride to the looming structure that Orion claimed to be keeper of, his disposition seemed stable enough. There were no more sudden swings in his mood, and he spoke intelligently, as though he were the highly educated man he claimed to be. It was with pride in his voice and a small bloodied smile that he would point out various places of interest as they traveled down the mossy vine-covered road. "The city was founded by Leorn Trastus in the year 348. The idea behind the city was that it could be a utopia for practitioners of magic, so long as they dedicated themselves to peace and abstained from violence or crime. The Academy itself was actually built last, the surrounding city wasn't finished and fully populated until 350, and the Academy opened proper in 356."

He gestured towards a group of unusually tightly clustered buildings, constructed with a much different architecture than the rest of the town, worn with even more age and bunched close to the Academy's base, surrounding it almost like a wall, save for the road. "The buildings closest to the Academy were constructed first, serving as the homes for Mr. Trastus and his colleagues as they began their endeavor. As more and more people heard of his aspirations, they built outwards to accommodate the growing population"

"Thusly, the older buildings, mostly residential in nature, are towards the center of town, and the newer buildings, more often centered on business and commerce, lie in the outer section of Trastus."
They had finally reached the base of the Towers, two tall ebony doors leading into the Hall of Reflection pushed open slowly, creaking with age as they reveal the disheveled room behind them. Orion felt a pang of some sort; some tug of apprehension at bringing somebody to the Academy when it was in such severe disrepair.

In keeping the Towers intact and unpilfered, he had succeeded. In keeping them pristine? He had failed. It was with no small amount of shame that he turned in the entryway, bowing his head low. "Forgive the disarray. I was not expecting visitors this evening... You may call me Orion, Miss Miane. You need not address me with such titles, as I have not worked in any official capacity in some time" He seemed to care little for his wound, but the bleeding had yet to cease, crimson dripping to the stone floor of the Hall. There were plenty of chairs scattered through the hall, both overturned and otherwise. Orion set himself to collecting several for them to sit at the large round table in the center of the room.

He almost seemed to be making some attempt to impress her.

"Come, come. Let's sit and discuss further. Surely I can provide you some level of assistance in what you seek?"

Miane

Miane easily kept pace with the man as he led her up the road and to the Towers, trying to make note of everything he told her about the town and the school. When they finally stepped within one of the Halls, and he apologized for the state of the place, she just shook her head.

"I am lady of a keep," she told him. "And it is far smaller than this place, but still requires nearly a hundred people--soldiers and servants--in addition to myself to keep it running. The fact that you have kept this place from being plundered is practically miraculous. Please don't worry about the rest.

"And please, Orion," she said with a soft smile, glad to finally have a name for him. "Just call me Miane. No 'miss.' I have very few people that I get to speak with on a first-name basis."

As Orion righted some chairs at the table in the middle of the room, Miane took the time to set up a chair near a window to serve as a perch for Akea while the talked. Once the owl was settled, she joined Orion at the table.

"Come, come. Let's sit and discuss further. Surely I can provide you some level of assistance in what you seek?"

"It is... a long story," Miane said, though she did not sit yet. Instead, she took off her cloak and settled it over the back of a chair, then removed the satchel slung about her shoulder, reaching inside of it and withdrawing a smaller pouch. "I will tell you while I tend to your wound."

She set the pouch down on the table, and put the satchel in the same chair with her cloak. From the pouch, she pulled out a small flask, an amber colored bottle, and a couple of clean rags.

"Tincture of yarrow," Miane said, holding up the amber bottle, and then pointing to the flask, "and water that was boiled."

She gestured for Orion to sit, beginning to speak as she waited for him to comply. Once he was seated, she would wet a rag to clean away the blood, and then use the other rag to dilute some of the tincture with the water and carefully dab it to the wound.

"My mother died when I was born," she began. "There were complications with the birth, and no doctor or midwife near enough to help her. My father told me the doctor--when he finally got my mother to him--was barely able to save me."

Miane sighed then, wishing some things in her life had gone a little differently. "My father rarely talked about my mother. What little of I know of who she was I learned from the woman who had been my mother's maid. It wasn't until after he died that I found her journals, and I learned that my mother had been a witch. That nearly all the women in my family have been witches.

"I've always been able to communicate with animals," she explained. "That came completely naturally to me, with little effort, and as my father trained me in his own trade--falconry--I was able to easily hone that talent.

"But there are other things I've just... had to cobble together, with no knowledge. The protective warding runes around my family's land, for one. I think I have them functioning properly now, but I'm honestly not sure. I have to... renew them, every so often? I'm not sure that's the right term.

"But lately... there have been some other things too. Headaches and strange dreams during certain lunar and solar cycles. Sometimes I wake up in the night and it feels like there's energy crackling over my skin and through my fingers but I don't know what to do with it."

She sighed again, and set aside the now-dirty cloths, and settled into a chair. "My keep is deep within Shtakmat State territory. My family's presence there has only been tolerated because we were there before the Sahiyi were, and because in recent years, those in my family who had powers have hidden them."

Miane leaned back in her chair then, shaking her head a little with disbelief. "So that is why I'm here, a spinster witch with no training, looking for someone to teach me how to manage my magic."

Orion

Orion knew well that the state he had managed to keep Trastus in all on his own was impressive enough, but blaming himself for the increasingly cluttered disarray of the place did some measure to distract him from why the place was so empty. Still, Mianes' commendation was not met with refutation. "Miracles are something I once prided myself on accomplishing. If keeping this academy in one piece is the last of them that I am able to perform, then I do so with the utmost pride." He mused, wiping at his bloodied face once more. Her smile was comforting, but the shifting of his shoulders as she dismissed his formalities spoke to how unusual and foreign this very much was to him. To have another's presence in this academy, in his home... He'd begun to believe such a day would never come.

"Well, Miss... Apologies. Miane, You've already gotten into the Hall of Reflection. This is further than any before you have gotten in years. I'd say if anybody is worthy to share their story, it is you." The lift in his voice spoke to amusement at her hesitation, but as she discarded her cloak and worked to retrieve her tools to treat his wounds, he seemed to grow quiet. Orion felt no pain, the nerves in his body had long since stopped functioning normally. To see his own blood, the red fluid that proved he was still human... it was almost a source of comfort to him.

Nevertheless, he would seat himself and tilted his frame closer to her as she lowered to her seat beside him at the table. He recognized the yarrow almost immediately; there had once been a great garden in the rear atrium of the second tower, where all manner of beneficial herbs and flowers were grown. Orion was no gardener, unfortunately, and the only yarrow in Trastus was now what little that had already been prepared and stored.

He winced, his sullen eyes squeezing shut as she dabbed at the wound with the cloth. It didn't hurt, but there was an unpleasant stinging sensation that came with the handling of wounds. He distracted himself by listening to her tale.

What a tale it was.

Her mention of the tragedy surrounding her birth brought his cold grey eyes to meet her gaze, his brow furrowing in sympathy. Orion too had known not his birth parents, although in his case the cause was more indirect. He knew the pain of wondering, of not knowing. It was an ache that resembled no other. He pitied any who had to experience it as he did...

"My father rarely talked about my mother. What little of I know of who she was I learned from the woman who had been my mother's maid. It wasn't until after he died that I found her journals, and I learned that my mother had been a witch. That nearly all the women in my family have been witches."

That struck him as odd. Magic and its practice weren't nearly as frowned upon as they'd once been in ages past. What was the point of concealing her Mother's nature from her? "Is magic frowned upon in your culture? Or rather, in this Shtakmat State? I can't say that I'm... -ah-... familiar with the place." Orion hoped she could forgive his ignorance. "Not that it matters much. Communing with animals from birth? Successfully utilizing wards without a scrap of reading material or instruction? These are not things most people just 'know' Miane. You have raw talent blossoming within you. Your Mother must have had a very deep connection with the arcane..."

With the conversation to distract him, her treatment of the wound flew by quickly. It was just as she said, shaking her head incredulously; A spinster witch with no training...

But who could speak to animals and place wards, nonetheless...

Orion would shoot to his feet suddenly, his face going quite stern as he pushed his chair aside to hurry over to one of the many bookshelves that lined the walls of the Hall. Extending a hand to run along the spines of the books, he spoke. "I have a theory about your ability that I would like to test, should you allow me. Children are rarely magically inclined as a result of their parent's aptitude, especially not on the scale you describe. I suspect there is a good deal more to this story than you know." Finding the book he was looking for, he pulls it out of its spot: A dark green book with an unreadable symbol on the cover, its pages appearing colored with age. He turns to Miane once more... "May I see your back? Just a small portion of your skin will do, I do not wish to threaten your modesty."

Miane

Miane raised a brow in surprise as Orion asked about the Shtakmat State, and its views on magic. "You've lived in seclusion for too long if you're unfamiliar with them at all," Miane scholded, but only lightly and with a friendly smile. "If you go northwest, into the Sereti, portions of the Cairou river and into the mountains are now controlled by them."

She looked down at her lap thoughtfully, fingers fidgeting over the fabric of her skirt. "Any who do not adhere to the Sahiyi faith are... frowned upon, in the Shtakmat State. My family has long avoided conversion, and our presence has been tolerated because we were established in our holding before the Shtakmat State was formed, and because our falcons were prized as the best in the region.

"It is... less that magic is frowned upon, and more that I will not worship their god and attribute my abilities to that god."

As Orion continued to speak, she leaned forward in fascination. Communing with animals and placing wards, as she had done, was unusual?

When he shot to his feet, Miane leaned back again, startled. But she followed curiously when he crossed the room to the bookshelves lining a wall, his fingers brushing along their spines.

"A theory?" she murmured, watching as he selected a book. She barely caught a glimpse of the dark green cover and the symbol on it before he turned back to her.

"May I see your back? Just a small portion of your skin will do, I do not wish to threaten your modesty."

She ducked her head, blushing a little, but nodded. "Just a moment," she murmured softly, turning away to undo the lacing at the neckline of her tunic, loosening the fit enough to allow the collar to be tugged down in the back to expose her fair skin.

"Is that enough?" she asked, still turned away, adjusting the way her tunic sat to allow it to start slipping down the back of one shoulder. He needed to see her back, after all. "If you need to move the fabric more, that's all right."

Orion

Orion turns the book open in his arm, turning the age-colored pages with a trained and careful hand. Miane was right in that Orion had been here alone in this academy for quite a substantial length of time. He spoke without looking up at her, still scanning the pages. "It's entirely likely that I did know more about the Shtakmat State at one point in time, but my memory... my mind is not as it once was. I've lost much more than I have gained over the last few years." There was no sadness to his voice, but a somber glaze rested in his eyes, unable to hide the disappointment with himself.

He ran one of his fingers along the lines of faded text on a page near the end of the book, continuing to address her. "Contempt out of a difference in beliefs... will we never learn? There will someday come a time when we as a world must learn to look beyond trivial divergences in thought." As a youth, Orion had been quite revolutionary in mindset, often championing the idea of unifying all races to live as one, discarding labels and prejudices. Even if there were those in Trastus who disagreed with his ideology, the results he produced in his classes made up for it.

If his idea was correct, then Miane's aptitude for magic with such little study would make much more sense. It was, of course, possible that she was indeed just a prodigy who's Mother had also had a powerful talent. Nevertheless, his test would either prove or disprove him. As she works the laces of her tunic so that her bare flesh is exposed to him from the neck and partially down her back, he takes a quick strides to meet her, cradling the open book in one arm as if it were a child as he comes to a stop directly behind her.

"Numato... felrath axiun." He spoke with a low vibrato as he closed the book, placing it on the table beside them as his hands began to emit an eerie blue glow. It appeared as if there were transparent blue gloves covering his hands, humming softly and pulsing with light. "You will feel no pain, only my palms. Make an attempt to relax..."

First, he slipped the fabric down both of her shoulders to give himself adequate space. Miane was a woman in the prime of her life, but his touch was not lecherous. His palms would be warm as they both pressed softly against the flesh of her back, a soft vibration being sent through her muscles as he slid them in small circles. This only lasted for about a minute, and Orion only spoke once, in the reassuring voice one would expect from an instructor or mentor. "You're doing fine. Nearly finished."

Finally, Orion would step back, the blue light dimming from his palms.

"You may dress. I am sorry for any embarrassment, Miane. If it's any consolation, your mother remains much closer to you than you know."

Miane

"Ah," Miane murmured with quiet understanding as Orion explained about his... lack of memory. She looked over her shoulder at him quizzically for a moment, though. He... didn't seem that much older than her, if at all really. As he continued to speak, she smiled wistfully.

"If only it were that simple," she said. "But humanity has a tendency to group together over similarities and ostracize those who are deemed 'others.'"

Miane heard him come up behind her, jumping slightly as he set the book down on the table with a quiet thunk. She twisted her face back again curiously as Orion uttered those strange words, her eyes widening as the blue light enveloped his hands.

"You will feel no pain, only my palms. Make an attempt to relax..."

She just nodded, and quietly helped as he tugged the shirt further down her back, a hand pressed to her chest to keep it from falling off of her completely when her shoulders were bared. She flinched when his hands pressed to her skin, her throat tightening for a moment, but she forced herself to take a deep, shuddering breath, and focused on the warmth of his hands, rather than the strange presence of them.

Other than her lady's maid, there was only one person who'd touched her this intimately, and a strange, cloying grief threatened to choke her with its presence.

She nearly jumped when Orion spoke again.

"You're doing fine. Nearly finished."

Miane nodded again, not trusting her voice at that moment. Almost done, she thought to herself. No more time for thoughts to wander.

When Orion finally pulled his hands away, she stepped to the side and quickly pulled her tunic back into place, retying the laces, puzzling over his words.

"What do you mean?" she asked when she turned back to face him. "About my mother?"

Orion

It was not lost on him, the intimacy of the act he'd performed on a relative stranger. Had he been a weaker soul, he would have been lost quite easily in the beauty of the young woman, the softness of her flesh against his palms. Fortunately enough for Miane, Orion had long since given up things such as physical pleasure; It wasn't as though he'd be able to process it correctly anyway, was it? No, he was above lechery anyways.

Still, she handled herself quite well in such an odd position and situation as hers. He dusted his hands, small sparks of blue and white light jumping from his skin as he reached around her to retrieve the book, the momentarily focused and alert silver pools of his eyes going dull and sullen once more. "Yes, it is a shame. I myself have bore witness to great disharmony because of our own inability to accept others. Even those who wish change are too meek to seek it." He jabbed lightly at himself with that comment, a man who had the means to fight for change, but who did not seize the opportunity.

"Nevertheless, I believe I have an answer as to how you're already so powerful..." He was already at the bookshelf, tucking the old tome back into place with a thoughtful hum, before correcting himself with the wave of a finger. "Well, not the answer, but definitely a contributing factor. Your Mother loved you quite dearly, no?" He turned back to face her, head tilted as his eyes roamed over her with some burning curiosity, his hands raising to the strange half moon shaped silver bauble hanging from his neck.

He stepped closer, a low hum leaving his throat. "In cases of people with particular prowess, it is not uncommon for their energies to have interesting effects on the people they spend long periods of time with." Orion did his best to explain. "You have residual magic surrounding your body, baked into your flesh. Miane, your Mother's magic quite literally rubbed off on you. That piece of her remains with you, and will forever."

After a moment of silence, Orion claps his hands together and cracks a small smile. "Cliche, I am aware. Even so, I can't have you running around without knowing how to properly control all that potential. It would be irresponsible of me not to teach you." He gave his final verdict on whether or not he would instruct her.

"We shall begin in the morning, bright and early. Tonight, we must arrange your accommodations."

Miane

Miane watched quietly as Orion put the book back on the shelf, still not quite certain what to make of this strange man, but relieved that he at least had some answers and knowledge for the questions she'd been asking for a lifetime.

"Nevertheless, I believe I have an answer as to how you're already so powerful..." He was already at the bookshelf, tucking the old tome back into place with a thoughtful hum, before correcting himself with the wave of a finger. "Well, not the answer, but definitely a contributing factor. Your Mother loved you quite dearly, no?"

Miane sighed, glancing down at the floor as she scuffed at it with the toe of her boot. "I would assume she did," she answered quietly, sadly. "My father said she fought long and hard to birth me, and then to stay alive long enough to hold me in her arms and name me."

She looked up again at the sound of his footsteps as he approached. There was insatiable curiosity in his eyes, enough so that she almost took a step back. The only times she'd seen that sort of scrutiny directed toward her... things had ended badly, and Miane had to fight to keep her shoulders from curling in. From trying to become small and unnoticeable.

But he didn't come too close. His curiosity didn't shift into apprehensive suspicion, and she made herself continue to stand tall and straight before him as he continued to speak.

"In cases of people with particular prowess, it is not uncommon for their energies to have interesting effects on the people they spend long periods of time with." Orion did his best to explain. "You have residual magic surrounding your body, baked into your flesh. Miane, your Mother's magic quite literally rubbed off on you. That piece of her remains with you, and will forever."

Her breath escaped her, then, and Miane found that her hands trembled as she stretched them out before her.

"You can't be much closer than mother and babe," she murmured. "I wonder... is it possible that she deliberately gave me some of her magic, during that ill-fated birth? Once she knew that she wouldn't be around to be part of my life?"

Perhaps it had been her mother's desperate effort to protect her in some way, the only way she would be able to.

Miane startled a little when Orion clapped his hands then said that he was obligated to teach her, but she gave him a grateful smile.

"Thank you," she said. "If there is, by any chance, a room with a balcony, that would help me be able to manage Akea easily."

Orion

He turned back to face her, head tilted as his eyes roamed over her with some burning curiosity, his hands raising to the strange half moon shaped silver bauble hanging from his neck.

... Orion the Goblin King, lol?

Orion could only tell her of his theories regarding her abilities; it certainly wasn't for him to say whether or not such a transfer of power was intended or expected by her dear mother. Orion was far from an expert on interpersonal relationships, and he couldn't even pretend to have a clue what the mother may have been thinking as she realized her child would be going through life without her presence.

As poetic as it would be for such a transfer to happen as an act of love and protection in the last moments of life, it was equally possible that the stresses of tumultuous childbirth had loosened her control on her energies. There was really no way to know, and... "It's possible, but there's no way to tell. Nor does it make any difference in the long run. She obviously loved you, and that is the part you must focus on."

That burning desire for knowledge in his eyes seemed to fade a bit as they changed topics. There would be time for him to test the full capabilities of her power later; daylight was running short, and if she desired a balcony for her companion, they only had three options. Two of them would take time, and one of them was likely an undesirable compromise.

"If you require a balcony, then we would need to house you..." He slowly turns as he speaks, outstretching a hand to the three large doors opposite the massive entrance to Trastus Academy. "In one of the three Headmaster's chambers, each of which lies at the top of the respective tower. From right to left, these are the Tower of Apus, the Tower of Centaurus, and the Tower of Orion." He went on to briefly explain how students were delegated to their own tower for study, based on who their instructor was and their areas of expertise.

"As I'm sure you've guessed, the Tower of Orion is where I reside. I am sure you do not have any desire to share my chambers with me, so that leaves Apus and Centaurus. Personally, I believe Apus may suit your needs. It was previously used by our female Headmaster, Seralina Trastus, so it is equipped with more suitable arrangements." He failed to mention that he was still cleaning the remains of a mutated, magic-maddened beast out of the Centaurus tower, a likely reason he didn't suggest the tower next to his. That had been on his docket today...

"Come, Miane." Without waiting for an answer, he set off towards the Apus entryway, sliding open the dark oak door engraved with a bird of paradise. "You must be exhausted..."

Miane

Yes... her mother had loved her, of that Miane was certain, especially after finding her journals.

As Orion pointed out the tower entrances, and talked a little more of the school's history, she retrieved her cloak from where she'd set it aside and carefully draped it over her forearm. With a glance over at Akea, she raised her arm. The owl flew from the chair where he was perched to land on her arm.

"As I'm sure you've guessed, the Tower of Orion is where I reside. I am sure you do not have any desire to share my chambers with me, so that leaves Apus and Centaurus. Personally, I believe Apus may suit your needs. It was previously used by our female Headmaster, Seralina Trastus, so it is equipped with more suitable arrangements."

Miane blushed and shook her head. "I'm sure the Tower of Apus will be sufficient if you think it is best," she murmured.

She quickly retrieved the rest of her belongings--mainly the medicines she'd used to clean Orion's scratch--and followed as the headmaster led her to the Apus entry. She made note of the engraving on the door, and took a deep breath to prepare herself the long walk up the tower stairs.

"Is there any way to send a message from here?" she asked. "I will need to send word to the steward at my estate to let him know that I have made it safely and not to expect me back for a while."

If need be, she could tie a note to Akea's leg and send him. But she was loathe to be separated from her familiar for the many days it would take the owl to reach the keep.

Orion

Orion offered a slight bow at her choice, having anticipated as much. The Tower of Apus would suit her needs comfortably, and while he would be resting a fair distance away from her two towers over, Orion would likely know if anything was amiss; this place was doused in his magic, and he knew it better than he knew himself. "Follow me then, Miss Miane. I will show you to your room."

Behind the door he lead her through was a room very similar to the circular chamber that they had just left, on a much smaller scale. A round table sat at the base, cluttered with dusty books, empty flasks and candle resting at the center. The walls were lined with a staircase that spiraled up the length of the tower, with doors leading to even more facilities at several points along the way up. Reaching out and placing his hand on the railing, Orion began to ascend.

"This Tower has several classrooms, a conservatory for growing plants useful for the arcane, a laboratory for alchemy and concoctions, and what will be your personal chambers." The sounds of their footsteps on the stone stairs, laden with a thin maroon rug, were the only sounds in the long-forgotten Tower. "Unfortunately this city has been long forgotten by the majority of Arethil, and for good reason. There is no effective means of communication to other parts of the world"

He paused on the steps for a moment, humming softly as he turned to look back at her through the dark curtain on his head. It was strange, sometimes his eyes seemed to hold an insanity, barely restrained. Other times they were as calm as a morning breeze. Right now the twinkle in his silvery hues spoke to something perhaps different than both. "However, on the rare occasion that I do need to contact the outside, I have a courier whom I pay to collect my outgoings. I will contact him tomorrow." How exactly did one contact a courier without proper communication? Orion had his ways...

To call the room that awaited them at the top of a Tower merely a bedroom would be underselling the enormity of the room. The chambers were about the size of a small home. The place was well kept, much more neat and clean than the rest of the tower. There was a small oven, cupboards that looked to be well-stocked, and a small table on one side of the room they entered. The other side of the room featured a dusty but still quite beautiful chaise lounge, deep red and sat before an empty fireplace, with a glass door that opened into a balcony behind it. The walls around the lounge were lined with even more bookshelves, although these were in far less disrepair.

There was no sign of a bed, although the presence of another door in the room seemed to suggest there was more to be seen.

"Aside from the slow communication, I do believe this place should have everything you will require during your stay here." In truth, Orion was actually slightly excited. Having a student of any kind gave him excuse to clean up the old labs, to see them in use again... he shivered at the thought.

Miane

• Wonder
Reactions: Miane
Everything was desperately in need of a cleaning, but it was nothing Miane couldn't handle with some rags and a bit of elbow grease. She was curious to see the conservatory, eventually, and wondered if Orion had managed to keep the plants within it alive. Perhaps she could get some ideas from it to help lengthen the growing season back at her keep, especially with the limited growing space they had on the side of the mountain.

He paused on the steps for a moment, humming softly as he turned to look back at her through the dark curtain on his head. It was strange, sometimes his eyes seemed to hold an insanity, barely restrained. Other times they were as calm as a morning breeze. Right now the twinkle in his silvery hues spoke to something perhaps different than both. "However, on the rare occasion that I do need to contact the outside, I have a courier whom I pay to collect my outgoings. I will contact him tomorrow."

Miane paused suddenly as Orion turned back, and Akea swayed on her shoulder. She didn't even flinch as the owl's talons gripped at her through the shirt. She wore many such scars already.

But she wasn't quite sure yet what to make of Orion, and his ever-changing gaze. "Thank you," she answered with a smile, then continued to follow him up the stairs.

When they finally reached the living quarters, Miane looked around them with wide eyes. She was fairly well to-do, and by no means considered herself poor, but the first priority at the keep was survival. Luxuries were not an everyday thing.

And that chaise was... absolutely beautiful.

"A glass door," she murmured to herself, shaking her head in disbelief. She'd never seen such a thing.

"Aside from the slow communication, I do believe this place should have everything you will require during your stay here."

"So long as the foodstuffs are still good," she nodded towards the cupboards, "everything should be fine."

Miane strode over to the glass door and opened it up, taking Akea out to the balcony and letting him perch on the railing.

"Hunt if you need to, my love," she murmured to the owl before going back inside.

"Is there firewood here?" she asked Orion as she went and peeked into the other door, confirming that it was a bedroom. "Or do I need to go gather some?"

Orion

Orion felt an odd sense of pride swelling up within him as Miane admired the room. Orion had failed in many things, but the general upkeep of the academy had always been one of the few priorities that he had never faltered on no matter the state of his mind. If he could not be proud of the only thing he had left, then what purpose did he truly serve?

Alas, their night would need to come to an end soon. Orion felt the creeping sensation of claws at the edge of his mind, threatening to drown him in thoughts most foul if he did not retreat and apply a new layer of protection upon himself. Outwardly this would show only as a small wince of pain every few breaths he took. Quietly he would step over to the wall beside the bedroom door, leaning on it. "Most of the food is preserved goods, dry or in jars. It is not glamourous cuisine, but they take much longer to spoil, which is vital seeing as I so rarely depart the city."

The glass door was obviously the work of experimentation, as it was flawed in its design. The clear glass that the majority of the door consisted of faded into a blue tint that grew heavier towards the bottom. "The door was a donation from one of her students. A brilliant young mind, he loved to craft everyday things with materials one normally wouldn't dream of using. I do wonder whatever became of him...." Orion trailed off, his eyes closing for a moment in thought...

He watched as Miane took her companion outside, opening the door to the bedroom as he did so. The bedroom was neat, with smooth stone walls and two tall bookcases stacked with not books, but jars of what appeared to be magical ingredients and tied rolls of parchment sat on either side of the bed, and one of the odd glowing fireless lanterns they'd passed in the tower earlier hung from the wall above the large bed. Most unique was the circular window below the light, letting fresh air and sunlight from outside funnel into the room. A small rope hung from said window, allowing one to pull it to adjust the airflow and amount of light peeking through.

"Firewood. Of course." He turned around as his new pupil re-entered. "I wasn't expecting this room to be used, so I did not stock it. I will retrieve some for you, but I fear I need to retire for a moment." His gaze darted away from her, as if worried she might see something in his eyes he wished to remain hidden. "Make yourself comfortable, I will return in an hour or two, before night completely swallows the sky with some fresh wood."

Miane