Knights of Anathaeum Firestorm

Threads open to all members of the Knights of Anathaeum group
Character Biography
Link
“Am I to be reduced by such unfruitful labours?”

Feathers ruffled, slow blinks that sealed avian eyes, a tapping of taloned foot as Montbank considered the components. The aromas produced by the various mortar and pestles made the eyes water when too closely examined, let alone the acrid fumes resulting from their combination. Of which there had been many. The tables on which they sat was outside for safety reasons, protected by tarp to prevent the wind from carrying the experiments into the air.

“Eel head was simple enough matter. But this? Mayhap beyond me.”

An ivy green book was picked up and flipped between sections with careful claw, an alchemical tome to which Montbank had been studious enough to examine yet still sought to glean the meaning. Most of it was of little import to his pursuits. Yet, there was some promise lurking in the footnotes of all things.

Montbank repeated the oft scanned words, as if trying to fathom further meaning by recitation.

“When ground and powdered, chalk can stabilise the surge from other components, but if too much used will smother the flame conjuration.”

Montbank gave further thought. Peered at the mortars and pestles which within lurked much potential. The slivers of fire drake scale. The ground up burning nettle. The ichor of flame toad. Shell of lava beetle. The spores of incendiary fungi. The stabilising chalk.

“One thing is certain...I simply refuse to eat any of this,” Montbank declared, placing hands upon hips and involuntarily preening himself for a moment, as if maintaining his pride and appearance at the same time.

“Perhaps a blend, crushed in vial? Or orb? With activating gesture, or word? Is it so much to ask that an incendiary drop be easily attained?”

He gave thought.

“Most likely best it not be easy. But there must be a way to activate it in high winds and direct it so it doesn't just set me aflame.”

He stretched his wings. Looked at the components.

“I'm not eating this,” he repeated as his stomach growled in agreeance and in hunger.

• Popcorn
  • Yay
Reactions: Agatha and Roki
Through the flaps of the makeshift alchemy tent, came Roki's shock of purple hair. His bright green expression fast behind it. Bright, because of its warmth, green, because of his orcish heritage.

"Syr, got some uh..." he sniffed the sizzling air. "Food out here for ya, compliments of Syr Melga," he said with a smile. "I'd bring it in but," he grinned excitedly. "Smells like you have some volatile components,"

Theolonious Montbank

"Ah, jolly good, thank you my good fellow. Spot of food to set the grumblings aside. Well. Some of them."

Montbank pontificated with his current company, gesturing at it as if were already a lost cause as he made slow movement to the food, hands about his straight back.

"Volatile components indeed, fine for grounded folk but in the air the turbulence would set it into fits, which would ruin everything in short order. I tell you Syr Roki, I tell you true, there's not enough chalk to prevent me from becoming a fiery flying ruin with any more than two mixtures in the tumbling payload. It's just too bloody, too bloody..."

He set a few feathers straight about his neck.

"Frightfully angry."

Roki

• Popcorn
  • Yay
Reactions: Agatha and Roki
Roki watched Syr Montbank with wide, excited eyes.

To think. A man. Covered feathers, combustible feathers, would be in a room that was so utterly... explosive. Well, it left nothing but admiration in the young squires heart, for the Owl Knight. Not that anything else had been there besides.

Well, maybe a question or two regarding his condition, and if he could spend time studying him in flight. Maybe take a look at his wings?

For another time.

"Um, Syr Montbank," he clarified, a nervous laughter. "I, well, I'm still a squire, Syr," he smiled sheepishly. "And, you know," he let a hand in, and poked a finger toward the outside "Best keep the flame toad ichor off the mutton?"

Theolonious Montbank

• Popcorn
Reactions: Agatha
"You carry yourself well enough to have the spirit of the knightly in my eyes, you are dutiful and respectful, and hard applying to the any task. Much too many are too cool in spirit, as if being dispassionate were a fashionable thing. But you attend your duties with good cheer and firm zeal, it is noted by many," Montbank praised.

"And yes, best to not enhance what spice already lurks within the bowl, sound advice. I'm so often on patrol that I sometimes forget how a hot meal is good for morale. You're a good sort to bring me something other than my usual flight rations."

He made his way to food and sat himself down.

Breathing in deep, he felt relief within his shoulders at the prospect before him.

"How do you fare esteemed Squire?" he asked sincerely and attentively, seeking dialogue and companionship in this reprieve from duty. Attending one's own well being is a duty all it's own, and Montbank always did value peaceful conversation that wasn't concerned with his comrade's injured plight as he carried them to safety.

Roki

• Yay
Reactions: Roki
A warm laugh came from the squire's mouth, and he grinned so wide his cheeks hurt. "D'aww, well that's good of you to say, Syr," he said with a warming of his cheeks. Another little laugh. "Suppose a little bit of zing comes handy in a pinch," he agreed bellow his breath. Startled up when the Sky Knight agreed to the food. Nod, quick little nods. "Of course, Syr," he said as he slipped out of the work-tent, and onto the green field upon which it had been pitched.

The food exchanged, Roki thought he could skip a few minutes of kitchen duty to speak with a Knight.

It was an educational experience, after all. Not everyday one spoke with a Sky Knight.

"Me Syr?" he asked, and gave the question some thought as he plopped his bottom down onto the grass. Felt the blades there neath his fingertips as he combed one way, then the other. "Things are... well," he half laughed. Then frowned. "Well, could be better," he addmited with some soberness in his voice. "Lost my cool in a mission and, well," his frowned deepened. "Near burned down the whole woods out west... near the Bellamy holds," he sighed, "Lucky i made it through at all after how bad I was burned,"

Theolonious Montbank
Noa

"No malice in such a misstep I'm certain," Montbank said immediate, his eyes upon the squire instead of food for such an admittance. He knew what it was to handle ordinance in such close proximity and the mishaps that might arrive. It was a rarely advised upon thing, this business of friendly fire. To swing a sword, one had greater control over that that the spillings of explosives and fire that was oft demanded in the agents within the field.

Montbank knew not of the specifics. His ears heard much in the field and little of repremands that weren't directed at himself for his wanderlust. A wanderlust that had lessened in recent time, for the busyness of assignments made him tired, and a firmer discipline to be well rested for future ventures steeled him against his own wants to fly free. For the most part.

“Don't be hard on yourself is what I'd say. We all use our initiative without guidance at some point, and experience directs with wisdom and proper consignment to our talents. Can't get there without some mistakes. We'd be shattered by the first mistake as knights if we were not seasoned by them as squires. Builds character. Better to act at all and sometimes falter than be frozen by indecision and not enter the field at all, in the longrun of one's dedications to the cause. Initiative is the prime material for usefulness in a knight, the ability to react to changing circumstances. And we are all changed for our errors, one way or another. Be it for the better if you can help and nourish your wisdom with it, worthy Squire.”

He dipped his beak and breathed in deep of the smell of food and added, with hints of his own well spring of professional regrets revealing itself in his voice.

“But I understand that can be easier said than done. Sometimes...the cruelty of random chance and forces outside of our control...it can be a bitter thing. But it gets easier with time.”

The last part Montbank had to confess as not to misadjust the squire. He himself had some doubts on if time did make it easier.

Sometimes people just died in your arms and there were a million things you could do quicker, but couldn't, and it just the way things was. Sometimes you were seconds too late with an interjection of magic. Sometimes the winds denied you. Sometimes...

Montbank forced himself to eat instead of dwelling on such things in company that he was instructing to do as he couldn't sometimes, and allowed Roki to digest his council in turn.

Roki

Last edited:
  • Bless
Roki let the words sink into him. The last words the Sky Knight imparted him with, words he would likely remember till his dying day.

Worthy Squire.

He couldn't help but smile, though none of the turmoil had truly dissipated, even as Syr Montbank went on with his wisdoms.

He was waiting for his comeuppance to come about. The deliverance of his fate.

Yet, something of how Syr Montbank spoke next snapped the squire out of his own ruminations. "Do you have... regrets, Syr?"

Theolonious Montbank

Montbank gave a small hoot. Ruffled his feathers as if drawing a cape about itself from imagined cold. Blinked slow. He tried to balance his thoughts between personal indulgence and trying to provide a good example to the fellow. But the truth was the best compliment he could provide, and was worth the middle ground.

He drew in breath as he straightened his back.

"Yes," he said, weighty.

He took a few mouthfuls of food.

"But regrets...regrets mean you still yearn for something better. A better world where you can save everyone and maybe, just maybe, save yourself. It's when every fortune and decisions fouls, and you don't lie awake at night thinking how you could have done more. Should have done more. That's when the game's over. Regrets serve one well, if tempered with humility and optimism, however hard it can be to imagine. Shows you still have a care in this world to be better. This much I know."

The next words he considered to say were, I hope I never have to carry you home.

But he refused the indulgence, however true that was.

It would only make it worse should it happen.

Montbank continued.

"And we can do better than our pasts. If I have learned one thing, it's this order of things. Could, should, ought, must. Master that, and you'll master what error troubles you and turn misfortune into future wisdom. Could I have done more, should I have done differently, ought I do better, must I do more. So it goes for me at least. Don't let regret drag you down to what's possible. We're not fated to repeat the deeds that make us feel so."

• Cthuulove
To be better.

The youth nod. Not every word would stick deep. But enough there, like the first prongs of a seedlings roots, broke through the mantle of his mind.

"Could, should, ought, must," the young man repeated. Turned the phrase over in his mind some more.

A grin wriggled out of the mire of his emotions.Could I spend time making some potent concoctions? Yes. Should I?" his expression turned flat. "Maybe not." his brow wriggled and bounced as he thought along. "I ought to get back to my duties,” he frowned again, and got up from his seat on the grass with a huff. “Well,” his grin flashed fast again. “I must be going now, Syr,” he dusted his hands and bowed to the Sky Knight. Deep and sincere. “I’ll do my best to remember your words,” he assured. Gave a small nod.
“To be better,”

Theolonious Montbank

Montbank felt an sense of satisfaction out of Roki's attendance to his words.

He nodded back sagely.

"Be well, do well."

He finished up his bowl of food quickly, as if flight were demanded of him any moment from now. He got up, and began to tidy up his chemical affairs.

"Well, that seals it, I'll leave this indulgence of firestorms," he said to himself, and thought of his recent company. "Lest I have to seek my own contrition from pursuant for a future misstep of my own."

Roki

• Bless