Open Chronicles Errant Knights

A roleplay open for anyone to join
Kaylus continued to follow Marr. He kept his hand off his sheathed sword – even as the guards and Templar rested theirs on the hilt of their weapons.

The Templar asked Marr, “How much ore, and what price?

The late mayor’s records would have noted the price of the ore sold to the Templar. The amount of ore sold each time was also noted. However, the band could only find stores of this our of up to half the regular order – at least, outside of the mines.

Kaylus remained silent and waited for Marr to give an answer.

• Yay
Reactions: Marr
Negotiations were always so tedious. He was a man of war, not some sort of merchant bandying about trade.

This Templar at least seemed shrewd enough to take advantage of an opportunity. From what he knew of the Order, they were a pragmatic sort. They cared more about Monsters than they did bandits and the like. Perhaps they would simply take the deal and walk away.

"For now? Seventy Five Allirian Crowns for half your usual order." The discount would work out to nearly a two thirds of the usual price for the weight. A thirty percent discount, though only half their usual weight.

"More ore next time." He said with a shrug. "We need time to mine."

Marr tried not to laugh at the thought of himself mining.

• Yay
Reactions: Klaus
After Marr spoke, the Templar looked around. His eyes glanced at the palisade, the village behind it. He mentally noted the weapons Marr and Kaylus bore. The fact that armored Tarri stood before him. If the Errant Knights still bore any symbols, he would memorize them.

Deal,” the Templar replied to Marr with his hand still on the hilt of his sword, “We’ll exchange here and be back for a full order next week.

Kaylus did not add anything to the negotiations, though he noticed the Templar’s gaze wondering about. His claw grew closer to his own blade. Kaylus looked at the guards and caravan driver to see that their gazes remained focused on the pair of Tarri.

Kaylus concluced the Templar was likely trying to gauge the band’s power – and possibly even recognize them if possible.

If Marr accepted, the Templars would give seventy-five Allirian Crowns and seek to leave immediately.

• Popcorn
Marr nodded his head, took the gold, and then quickly ordered the Ore to be brought out.

The entire interaction took only a few moments, and just a few seconds after the Templar turned around and began to wander down the Road Marr turned to Kaylus. "Our preparations must go faster now."

Humans were predictable things.

He'd seen the way the Templar had watched, how he'd tried to peer into the town. There was no doubt in his mind news would now quickly spread about what had happened here. If the Templars did not return in force, then the Rangers would come quicker.

Still, not everything looked back.

"The Gold will be useful." They could invest it in the fortifications.

• Yay
With the Templar and caravan departed, Kaylus added, “They might try to keep an eye on the village, see if we can get the ore they need… Actually, they or the Rangers might send scouts soon…

Kaylus could not see an easy solution. Assuming the Templar caravan arrived on a weekly schedule, the band would have to find a way to mine the same amount of ore as the village of one hundred used to output if the mine had no ore stockpiles. At the same time, they would need hands to build a palisade to envelope the whole village. And they would need the band alert and ready for a Ranger or Templar attack at any time.

We can start shifts,” Kaylus said, “Keep work on the palisade going in the night if we have a fire for light.

Someone would attack soon anyway, Kaylus assumed.

I can send a two men to get enough tools to keep everyone working,” Kaylus told Marr.

The forest surrounding the village provided enough wood for the stakewall. They need hatchets and pick axes to keep as many people working, though.

• Popcorn
"Do it." Marr said without hesitation.

Any defenses they managed to build up now would help immensely with whatever attack would eventually come. There was no doubt in his mind that one would eventually show up, and a wall went a long away in the defense of these things.

As Kaylus suggested sending away more men however Marr frowned. They had only so many Knights, and the more they lowered their own numbers the more trouble they would find themselves in.

"Perhaps its time to offer an amnesty to those in the mines." Marr thought. "If they work upon the walls we will feed and ensure their survival."

For as long as they were necessary anyway. It would help them in building the palisade, and give them some hostages if necessary.

• Yay
I’ll see to it, then,Kaylus said as left to go to the mine.

Being cautious, Kaylus gathered six other party members to the mine. Swords were drawn. Everyone was ready.

Kaylus was the one to remove the brace against the mine’s door. Then, the Tarri gave a few solid knocks.

Talk,” he ordered, “We’ll give your lives, food, and water if you work with us.

After a few seconds of silence, a man called out from the other side of the door, “What… do… you… want?”

A few heavy breathes spaced out the man’s words. It would be well within day two without water for those inside. It would not be long before they die.

We need labor,” Kaylus told them, “If you work, you live. You get food. You get water.

“You… killed… how can… we trust… you?” the man replied.

Trust me, or starve to death,” Kaylus declared.

No need for eloquence or deceit. With there being no exit, the villagers had the choice to risk whatever the band would subject them to or just die in the mines.

Instead of a verbal response, the villager unlocked the door and opened it. The men by Kaylus brandished their weapons. Kaylus gazed into the dimly lit mine to see thirteen villagers. Eight adults, five children. A couple of the weaker looking villagers were passed out.

And with that, Kaylus and the men would guide the villagers to a single building to house them. They would need a couple people keeping watch, yet that would be two men for the price of eight hands that they can work to death. More if the children can do anything.

With that done, Kaylus soon returned to Marr to inform him, “The villagers will work on the defenses, soon, and the mine is now open.