Completed Egads! A Fist Fight Mid Flight.

Jeremiah

Machina Gratuiti
Character Biography
Link
proxy.php
The denizens of Shadokien were in for an unexpected and rude awakening as the rooster cawed. Mornings in this city of color and magic were typically mundane. This was unlike anything they'd seen before. Two rival gangs residing in Allir Reach broke out into chaos amidst the cities painted roads. This eventually led to a member stealing a carriage from a decent old man who'd lived in the City of Shadokien for some time as a means for escape.​

The only thing neither gangs anticipated was an overzealous and far too cheery automaton to be witness to the entire outburst. Jeremiah had thought it smart to spend a day in a city far away before returning to Vel Anir as to avoid guards suspicions. He was willing to stay out of the scuffle until an innocent civilian was now paying the price for their lack of tact. This turned swiftly into a chase between the gangs, four carriages each, rampaging through the town without concern for who they hurt.​

The automaton seized the moment and caught a carriage with one hand, swinging himself up top to face a member who'd been standing on the vehicle. "Quite the ruckus you've stirred up, isn't it?" He said to the gang member cheekily. The man swung his fist at Jeremiah but was reversed and thrown off the carriage by the philanthropists strength. Jeremiah now stood atop a high speed carriage trying to retain balance. They were headed directly towards someone who hadn't noticed the carnage quite yet.​

"WATCH OUT!" Jeremiah called to the civilian, hoping they had enough time to not be run down.​

Shadokien
Morning

Well, isn't this great...

He'd woken in some side alley where he'd slept half the night, knife in hand of course. As marvelous as this place appeared he wasn't going to start resting easily under the stars between these streets anytime soon. A frustrating night, for he'd be nicely tucked into a warm bed at this time if things hadn't gone awry.

Yesterday, on his way to the city, his horse croaked - well off the beatin' path to boot, so no sign of help it sight. Oh he was certainly close enough to the city to make it on foot at least by nightfall, but there was one. Other. Problem. When the horse fell over to breathe its last few breaths, it decided to land on the wrong side. The side he had - like a fool - strapped his coin purse onto. Lifting the fallen beast proved impossible, just too hearty.

So, he had no option but to hike his was to Shadokein himself. He made it a bit later than he hoped, and with no coin found no luck and so late at night was given no charity. He did look a little worse for wear, probably smelled it to. Easily dismissed. So, he'd rested in the least tetestable place he could find for the time being.

At least he wasn't hung over.

He got up on his feet, and dusted himself off while making sure he still had everything he'd came with. After sorting himself out he stepped out into the street, blinded by the flash of light from the Sun. He stumbled a bit, even further out into the street as he tried to regain his bearings.

"WATCH OUT!" Jeremiah called to the civilian, hoping they had enough time to not be run down.

His eyes shot wide open, and he whirled around to see the carraige barreling down on him.

Son of a..

He leapt with all his might to get out of the way.

The automaton watched carefully as the man was able to evade in the nick of time. Jeremiah raised his top hat to him, steam ejecting from his bronze cranium. "Terribly sorry, gent! I'll have this wrapped up in a jiffy!" He called cheerily towards Nikolos before turning his gaze towards the carriage chase yet again. He moved slow but steady across the top of the barreling vehicle making his way to the driver. Seven of these careening things left to stop and most of them needing to be returned to the nice people of Shadokien.

When he reached front he hopped into the seat next to the gang member driving the carriage and let out a laugh. "My you sure do go to great heights in order to escape prosecution." The driver swinging a blade towards Jeremiah, which the automaton had ease dodging mid conversation. "I wonder what went wrong along the way. Do you have that answer yourself?" The blade caught Jeremiah's face but was severed in two by a forward propulsion of his own head, the driver unaware the man sitting next to him was naught but turning gears.

"What a shame." He spoke once more before slamming the back of his hand in the man's throat. The driver gagged hard and toppled out of the carriage, leaving Jeremiah to take the reins. He slowed the vehicle to a halt and got out swiftly, now facing the direction they came from. Three more carriages heading towards him. Hard to say where the others were now in town. Mages on horses were now in pursuit. He recalled something about the guard in Shadokien being all magic users. It was just going to heat up from here, it seemed.

• Yay
Reactions: Nikolos
Nikolos rolled over his shoulder and back up onto his feet, shooting his head around to gather as much as he could about whatever the hell that was about.

"Terribly sorry, gent! I'll have this wrapped up in a jiffy!"

"Right..." he said with his head canted to the side just so.

Then in a burst of instinct, he whirled around to leap onto the carriage which trailed behind the others. His grasp found purchase, and he hung there off the side of the vehicle with his boots held just high enough to keep them from scraping across the road below.

His action did not go unnoticed, as he could hear one of the men shouting at him, calling him more than a few unsavoury names. But he hoisted himself up with enough time to steady atop the uneasy carriage before the driver could do too much.

But the draw of his sword forced the man to retreat, and he let loose of the reins to hurl himself into a wagon of hay nearby - leaving the carriage to waver across the road uncontrollably. Nikolos wasted no time in grabbing hold of the reins and straightening things out. He urged the horses faster, and they obeyed. He brought them and his carriage alongside another, affording a toothy smile to the less than excited man now next to him.

Then, he began to slam his cart into the other, determined to either force him to stop or for both of their vehicles to crash in a heap.

Either would do.

• Cheer
Reactions: Jeremiah
It seemed the civilian he'd called out to was now involving himself in the ever churning debauchery. Must be a stalwart heart to face vehicular ferocity with nary but a smile on his face. What a champion! Jeremiah was delighted at the chance to see another help him in this borderline insane movement of menial justice. It would be done!

The carriage that was now being reined by Nikolos was careening into another; as they both made their way towards the automaton in the middle of the road. The connection between the two vehicles, luckily, slowed them both down just a bit. At least enough for the gentleman to assert himself to the top of the one dueling with Nikolos'. He reached down and choked out the driver, tossing him into passing grass before hoping below into the seat. The two were now neck and neck in their carriages. Jeremiah called out to Nikolos;

"I didn't expect assistance! It is greatly appreciated chap! I wish I had some sort of monetary reward to offer but as it stands I haven't a coin to my name!" This was followed by a hearty laugh and a tipping of his top hat to Nikolos. Steam vented from the top of Jeremiah's metal head. "There should be about five more of these runaway carts if you wouldn't mind helping me quell the beast a bit more!"

• Cheer
He wrenched on the reins and pulled his cart aside as Jeremiah proceeded to board it, and take control. He let out a hoot and a holler, capturing more than a few startled looks as they sped past a few onlookers on the streetside.

Only then when the automaton tipped his hat and vented steam did Nikolos realize, or half realize anyway, just who it was that had called out to him. He was a metal man.

His mouth dropped, and through some sputtered words he managed to reply with at least some amount of composure.

"There should be about five more of these runaway carts if you wouldn't mind helping me quell the beast a bit more!"

"Ah.. what ar- well yeah! Its the least I can do!"

The metal man had saved his life after all. As far as he was concerned, he owed his life to the automaton. He'd have surely been trampled if not for his warning.

• Thoughtful
"Wondrous!" He said, pulling the reins of the carriage to slow it to where it stop. After all, this was stolen property anyhow. When the carriage began to just slip behind Nikolos', he let go of the reins and jumped as quick as he could to grip onto the carriage being driven by his newfound partner. He barely kept his balance as he stood atop the canopy. Being wary that it was a bit thinner than that of the other vehicles and he may very well collapse if he remains too long since his weight was quite tremendous.

They were falling behind the escapees now, and he moved quickly to sit right next to Nikolos in order to prevent destruction of someone's precious cargo carrier. A horse being ridden by a mage pulled up to them quickly.

"BY DECREE OF SHADOKIEN'S CHOSEN, I ORDER YOU TO CEASE YOUR ADVANCE." The mage called to them both in a tone of fury and determination. Shadokien's Chosen were the guard of The City of Shadokien, and their numbers were minimal. Though he didn't know the details exactly he knew that these mages were not to be trifled with unless you wanted to become star dust. He put his hat, which has miraculously remained with him the entire time he's been flying carriage to carriage, to his chest and spoke to the mage.

"My apologies friend, but I'm afraid we're far too involved for that now! We swear that we'll have the property returned as quickly as possible!" He spoke very apologetically and the mage showed signs of dire confusion.

"Are you not of the gangs running rampant?"

"Heavens, no! We are but interlopers putting a dent into their heinous hysterics! We are on your side!"
The chosen looked confused still but didn't want to argue, or waste his time.

"If you two hold the truth in your hands than I entrust you to deal with the two straight ahead of you, me and my affiliates shall halt the rest. I WILL be speaking with you when this is done, do not try and flee."

With that the mage sped ahead of them on his horse heading towards the targets he'd called out. Jeremiah looked back to Nikolos and set his hat atop his head again. "Well friend it seems we've the law on our side for the time being. If I may be so rude, do you mind picking the pace up a bit? These ruffians aren't going to knock themselves out, now are they?" He said cheekily, letting another hearty laugh echo with the sound of nonstop hoofs sprinting.

• Yay
Nikolos looked on as Jeremiah made his way onto his procured ride, and felt the carriage struggle under his weight. Amazing, he thought, he'd never seen or heard of the like. At least he seemed to be friendly enough. He wouldn't want to take a hit from the guy.

He almost went a bit pale when the city's authorities showed up. Wizards for crying out loud. He could deal with flesh and swords, but metal men and magic? He was way out of his element in this strange and wonderous city. But thankfully the metal man was blessed with a fine tongue, or... whatever, and swayed the mages to subdue their suspicions of them - at least for the moment.

"Well friend it seems we've the law on our side for the time being. If I may be so rude, do you mind picking the pace up a bit? These ruffians aren't going to knock themselves out, now are they?"

He smirked, affording a mischievous side-eyed glance to Jeremiah, "Not to worry," and he thrashed on the reins, compelling the horses to hasten, "I was thinking the same thing!"

• Cheer
"Wondrous!" He clapped his hands together as their wagon picked up speed. They were gaining on the ne'er do wells at a much greater pace now and the automaton was filled to the brim with excitement. He knew that glee in a time like this was a vice but he could hardly hold it in. He always loved thwarting wrongdoings when they presented themselves.

As they approached he stood up, leaning off the side of the carriage in preparation to leap. He kept his eyes on the wagon they encroached upon as he spoke; "Prepare for a weight shift friend! I shall be jumping in just a few moments!" While the gentleman did not have a physical mind, the magic in his bronze bones gave him a similar feeling to what a heart racing would be. Once they were just behind, he flew from their carriage to the next.

He reached out to grasp the still moving carriage and was met with an ungainly landing. He was able to grip a rope tied to the back latch, his feet planted in the ground, and he stopped the carriage dead in its tracks. He did however fall face first when the vehicle ceased movement, though he didn't suffer any serious injuries. As the wagon Nikolos had manned continued forward he waved to him to keep moving. Jeremiah knew he could handle these goons by himself.

• Wonder
Nikolos appreciated the warning - for all the good it did. When Jeremiah flung himself onto a nearby target he felt the whole cart buckle and nearly collapse right then and there. In fact, one of the wheels on the opposite end splintered, and he felt the axle struggle.

He thrashed on the reins again, urging the horses on. The carriage struggled still, and he felt it waver. Quickly, he stood to his feet and launched himself onto the backs of one of the horses hauling the carraige.

The wheel gave way, and the rear end of the carriage dropped against the road and was drug. Nikolos quickly tended to the harness, and with a quick pull back on the rein slowed both horses. He unclasped his chosen steed and kicked into its sides, bolting forward while the other horse and carriage came to a halt.

And Nikolos gave chase, gaining quickly with the speed his unbound horse granted him.

He came up the one side of the remaining hooligans, and flung one leg over to have both on one side. He pulled the horse closer to the side, only to have the driver swerve toward him. It slsmmed into him with a great force, causing his horse to jeer away.

Nikolos leapt...

And grabbed!

Now once again he was hanging by little more than his fingertips. He managed his other hand close, and grabbed ahold and pulled himself close. And there he hung for a moment, off the back of the escaping ruffians, while he sorted himself out again after the hammering he'd just taken.

• Wonder
Three felonious ruffians poured out of the carriage at once, donning their weapons with the intent to harm Jeremiah immediately. He put his dukes up and egged the challengers on with a wave of his fingers. The came as a group, wasting no time. A little inconvenient but no issue overall. One man swung his sword on to Jeremiah's shoulder, the blade dropping from his hand immediately. He gripped his wrist in complete agony. Oh, the joy of your identity being completely hidden. The automaton put his foot into the mans chest and knocked him backward.

The other two hardly noticed and came at him still. The second assailant tried to hold up Jeremiah's arms behind his back as the third prepared some sort of spell. Not good. Magic harmed him tremendously he had learned. Likely why his master gave him a nullifying spell. Yet this only panned out if he himself could use his arms. The man gripping him from behind was of nowhere near the strength Jeremiah had so he came to the conclusion that this was still no issue.

He leaned back slowly and bent forward at incredible speed, flipping the man gripping his arms over his head. The mans arms twisted underneath Jeremiah and fractured, while his legs came crashing down on his ally. He let go of the man, leaving him screaming on the ground as he walked up to the conjurer he'd just knocked down. He picked the man up by his collar and delivered one solid jab to his temple, breaking his skull and knocking him unconscious.

He stood up, fluffed his coat, and walked towards the carriage. Which was now fleeing. Because the horses were spooked. Drat. He needed a new plan

Oh! Of course! How could he have been so foolish. He had almost forgotten he was magic. He leaned forward and concentrated the arcane steam that poured through his clockwork bones, ejecting out the bottom of his feet. He began to move at ten times the speed any horse could, and caught up to Nikolos in no time.

"Need a hand?" He said, watching his temporary ally dangle from the carriage with all his might.

• Cheer
He indeed held on with all his might. His less than optimal performance had been something of a hinderence. Having a moving carriage knock into him, granted one he was at least moving the same speed as, had nevertheless caused him more than a slight grief. He'd been dazed, and felt weak at one moment and then another - but he held on damnit.

And through it, he managed to come to and orient himself, obtaining a better hold on the situation.

"Need a hand?"

"Actually, you're just in time!"

And with skills befitting an acrobat, he grabbed hold of the rear corner of the carriage, and swung himself around and grasped at the door, swinging it open. He reached, and pulled himself aboard. After having done that, he slid open the window behind the drivers, and let out a terrifying noise.

"BLAHARGARAGHGHahaaaaargrgrhahahaha!"

His distraction descended into laughter as he beheld the looks on their faces.

Jeremiah

Jeremiah floated beside the carriage as he watched Nikolos bring himself inside of it and scare the bajeezus out of the two sitting in the front. The automaton could hardly stifle his laughter himself as he let his steam magic carry him towards the drivers seat. The two were completely enamored with Nikolos' antics that they did not see him float right up to them until he sat dead in the center of the two.

"A happy afternoon to the foolish duo in center row!" He declared as if he was announcing something. He then proceeded to grab the heads of both the wagon thieves and bonk them together with a loud thud. He tossed the two unconscious men to the ground and took the reins of the wagon himself. Turning around to give Nikolos a thumbs up.

"Well done my friend! You have quite the fluidity and grace in your movements AND your humor! It's a pleasure to have met you this day!"

As they rode forward they ended up catching up to the Shadokien's Chosen they'd talked to earlier. The mage was holding his hand in the air, carrying an entire carriage by some arcane will. Behind him trailed about seven individuals, wrapped in pale, green, ethereal chains that were held by another magical guard.

"Seems you've made good on your word."
The mage spoke to the two of them with a nod.

"Well of course, good sir! Twas' but a trivial matter!"

• Dab
It was far too difficult to contain himself. As Jeremiah made short work of dispatching the two buffoons he laughed all the while, adding some exuberance as he leaned out the door and pointed at them rolling into a heap on the street in their wake. He slapped his hand against the carriage with an ethusiastic woo! before ducking back inside.

"Well done my friend! You have quite the fluidity and grace in your movements AND your humor! It's a pleasure to have met you this day!"

"Why thank you! You're uh..." he struggled to truly define the things he'd seen this metal man do, "...not too bad yourself!"

Not too bad yourself.

You basically just jump around while he kicks everyone's ass and you say he's not too bad.

Nikolos wondered just where the hell he came up with this stuff sometimes, but chuckled it off casually as they rode up to reunite with the town guard.

"Seems you've made good on your word."

He hoped out from the carriage, emerging into a triumphant stance with his hands upon his hips.

"Why of course, master magician. But it is... he who deserves any good credit!" He moved to shake Jeremiah's hand, "I'd likely be on my way to the morge if you hadn't called out. Names Nikolos, and I am indebted to you."

• Cheer
"My original plan was to question you and offer your freedom as a reward..." The Chosen began to speak as he set the carriage down from it's magical trance.

"But it'd be a fool's errand to pretend that you two were not responsible for aiding this city back to comfort and quiet. If you'd be willing to accept, I'd like to extend an offer of five hundred crowns to you each as compensation for your deeds today."
The mage smiled at them as he spoke. Jeremiah clasped his hands together with a CLANG and laughed uproariously.

"I would not be so rude as to say no to your generous offer! It will cover travel expenses for the both of us perfectly!" The automaton turned to shake Nikolos' hand in return.

"You need not place debt on yourself for my sake, friend. I do not do these things for praise or for wealth, but rather the knowledge that for these lovely denizens of Shadokien, their lives will continue on prosperously and uninterrupted."

He attached his reward sack to his hip and cleared his 'throat'.

"Where do you plan to venture to next, dear friend? Oh! I've entirely forgotten to ask your name, haven't I? You may call me Jeremiah! And you are?"

The Shadokien's Chosen that were speaking to them then carried on, taking the criminals that they were able to apprehend onward for questioning, leaving Jeremiah and Nikolos in the middle of the road. Many eyes gawking at them.

• Yay
Nikolos nodded his thanks to the mage, and took the sack of coins with a gracious smile. He strapped it to his belt at his hip. While he listened to Jeremiah speak, he couldn't help think more and more as time went on that he was undoubtably the strangest gentleman he'd ever come across. To be trapped in a metal suit, and be as cheery as that?

"Where do you plan to venture to next, dear friend? Oh! I've entirely forgotten to ask your name, haven't I? You may call me Jeremiah! And you are?"

"Oh, me? Well... I don't stay in one place for too long. I just have to keep going where the wind will take me my friend."

Just then, he had a thought.

"Say, you wouldn't mind giving me a hand would you? You see just out of town my horse collapsed, and trapped many of my belongings. I couldn't budge the thing, but a guy like you..."

Well, he'd hardly break a sweat.

Jeremiah

• Thoughtful
"Ah, the vagrant's life." He was far too used to that himself. Traveling wherever called to his non existent hard. More whatever magic was in place of such an organ.

"I know that too well. The wind is a fickle guide, isn't she?" He laughed heartily at his own words. He was sure Nikolos could ascertain what he'd meant. The automaton hummed a bit when this favor was asked of him. Not that he was trying to decide if he wanted to help him, of course he would help his battle buddy! But that maybe he should find a horse himself. It would take him back to Vel Anir with a great deal less questions on his tale. Yet his magic would likely carry him much there much quicker. Hmm...

"But of course my friend! If you lead the way I would be happy to lift the horse's corpse for you!"

• Cheer
"Right then Jeremiah, I'm Nikolos, and I'm grateful!"

He began out of town, making some idle chit-chat along the way. He mused to the automaton as to the magics that gave this city its light, and what they might be.

"Say," he said as they drew near to where the horse had breathed its last, "are you..." he stopped, and turned to look at him, "who are you Jeremiah. How is it you do what you do? I've never seen anything like it."

Jeremiah

• Thoughtful
Jeremiah without a word lifted the horse single handedly. Literally. With one hand. The lifted it upward and used his other hand to remove the saddle and belongings attached to it. When done he set the horse back down gently and pet its mane lightly.

"Poor thing. Hope they can rest now."

He turned back to Nikolos as he asked his question and straightened his coat.

"I am but a simple philanthropist. Doing my best to make the world around me a better place with each movement I take. As for..." He looked down at his own wrist, steam with magic crystals sparking it shooting from his bronze flesh.

"I have no answer. But I will!" He said with jubilant vigor.

"Nikolos I hate to cut our time short as it has been wonderful working with but I have to try and get passed Allira all the way to Vel Anir as soon as I can. I know that my magic can carry me a bit faster than a horse can." He turned around towards the west, heading to Alliria with a wave goodbye to Nikolos.

"Until we meet again, chap!"

• Cry
Nikolos watched on in awe as Jeremiah made short work of retrieving his items. He was quite pleased to have them returned to him, and he was sure to split the coinage he had waiting there for him with Jeremiah for his trouble.

"I have no answer. But I will!"

Interesting, to be there and to be alive but unsure of what and who you were. But somehow, he understood how Jeremiah might have felt - he didn't understand how he was so damn happy all the time. But he was a riot to be around.

"Well my friend, it has been a pleasure," he shouted to him with a wave, "maybe the wind will cross our paths again! Take care!"

Now...

...where the hell was he going to go?

• Cheer