Open Chronicles Dragons In Chains

A roleplay open for anyone to join
It hadn’t taken more than a heart beat for Hera to break free from the crowd. They were so gullible. So easy to predict. But not a real heart beat, no, more a thump. The world was a living, breathing thing that had a thump. A beat. It grew in her chest and resonated in her ears.

Whooooomp. Whaaaawoooomp.

Every day, every hour. Every moment encapsulated inside a whaloop that rang through her core.

Some beats were soft, a faint potential that tickled at her nose. Others were waves that silenced the world and stole her breath.

Too. Many. Thumps. No more breaths.

She was running out of breaths. She tried to tell them that as she came through the door, but they made the world turn into a drum set. She felt the door slam and bounce off the world behind her. She didn’t feel the cold air on her body. Her bareness had silenced a soul crushing thump back in that yard. She embraced it gratefully.

She swayed and wordlessly went to Jeriah, patting William’s head along the way. “No more thumps,” she pleaded, leaning into Jeriah’s frame for a hug.

Her hand went up, covering his mouth to assure this.

She gave William a sharp look, one that most assuredly said, ‘You’re next.’

The fire slowly fizzled into life, smoke wafting up the chimney. William blew a little more to fan it up before sitting back up and placing more wood around it. He willed it to burst into flame but most of the heat for the moment seemed to be heading out the chimney.

He was in time for the tail end of Jeriah's offer and a massive claw engulfing the charlatan's hand for a shake. "Oh gods". He wasn't sure about this but he wasn't going to make a scene in front of a lizard that looked like it was a hundred foot tall.

"Who's Melfa?" he settled on then, "Jeriah, one is enough but you can't hire an entire-" he stopped himself saying the word he'd been about to "-gang of them" he finished.

Hera's arrival got all eyes on her for a moment. She latched onto Jeriah before shooting him a glare. The dishevelled thief looked at the lizard, the seer, and trickster. He sat down and put his head in his hands, faint groans audible.

Any surprise at how pert their little seer was vanished from mind when he felt her cold, slender form pressed up against him. She didn't feel as if she had the size to keep her bones safe from the chill after their swim. Thackett peeled her hand from his lips and tried to rub some warmth back into her icy digits.

"You did good," he whispered.

Thackett was fairly certain he knew who 'Melfa' was. Relieved that she hadn't torn his arm off when they had shook on the deal he decided to let the komodi explain that one to the thief. Perhaps she would try and eat him if he was accidentally offensive. It sounded as if he had just tiptoed around a faux pas. William didn't always guard his words when he was stressed out.

There was an old chair by the fire. Its fabric was faded and torn but it was close to the heat and looked comfortable enough. Eventually he steered Hera towards it. He fetched a blanket from one of their bags.

"Get those wet clothes off and warm through," he told Hera, but it applied to them all. He tried to keep his voice down so she could rest. Sometimes it didn't matter what he did; Hera could not always turn away from her power.

"We have a group," he said quietly as he started to strip down. "So we just need a new scheme." There was a note of excitement in his voice.

"Don't roll your eyes at me young man," he said out of the corner of his mouth towards William. He couldn't see his expression but he liked to annoy his thief by guessing correctly.

"In the morning," he affirmed, leaving a wet pile of clothes by the fire and fetching others. There were many small scars across his arms and shoulders. White little lines that caught the firelight. The ones across his back were not so fine that they needed light to be plain to the eye.

"I think I will wait to the small hours and go pray."

When Jeriah said he was going to pray this was usually accepted by the group as meaning that he was going to go and sniff out the nearest whore house and that he would return in a few hours in a much calmer state with a faint smell of cheap liquor about him. He cast a glance towards Hera, wondering if she knew his dirty little secret.

The komodo didn't have much more to say on the subject of her newfound employment. Her heated gaze lingered on the arrival of Herra for only a moment before slipping off towards the thief and his pathetic fire. Keratin spikes dragged across the wooden floorboards with the curling of the beast's tail. Melfa pushed to her feet with a grunt and made to move over to William, that same strong, clawed hand that just shook on a deal now clamped down on the man's shoulder, pulling him back from where he sat at the fireplace.

Stooping slightly at his back, he'd feel the prickling of claws pinching at his flesh through his clothes as, suddenly, teeth.

The guttural rattling of a crocodile slithered from between those teeth (lots of them, long and pointy), "Aaaam Melfa," Melfa offered with a clarifying snarl before unleashing a spurt of firebreath at the wood inside the fireplace. The results were somewhat explosive in nature, enough to singe the eyebrows of the thief depending on how close he'd been sitting, as well as the stone and brick mantle.

But, now the fire was hot and crackling.

"Melfa find Komodi caravan for night," if ever there was a constant, it was that komodi could be found just about any place it never snowed. Every city worth its salt had at least one small caravan of the dragonfolk on the outskirts, trading and selling the most peculiar things. She released William's shoulder as she lifted back to her hunched posture, giving him a rough pat, "Melfa also...pray."

Apparently she well understood. Or maybe she was being serious. Either way, her sinister sneer went with her out the door.

The chaos in her head no longer screamed. Their safety brought relief that was utterly delectable to her senses. Hera surrendered herself to the lolling visions, other people’s words softly rolling off her tongue. She’d laugh, she’d cry out, she‘d moan in pleasure. But there was no more reaching Hera tonight. She was an untuned radio, lost to the powers she had indulged in for far too many days.

Not that it mattered. They failed anyway.

She cried too.

The morning brought a new day with it. Or whatever that crap was Jeriah always spewed. Hera squinted against the light pouring through the faded curtains, her mouth dry and her head fuzzy.

“Ouch,” she groaned, picking herself out of the chair. The blankets fell from her lap, but now that she was dry there was very little to see beyond her the white linin underthing she stole off a nun. She clanked around the room, stumbling as she went. “Where’dtheygo,” she croaked at William.

It was frustrating, not having little details like her friend’s location on hand. Asking questions. So much effort. So tedious. She grabbed a stale tankered of all from some remnants of a meal and downed it, clutching to the table.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thackett was several minutes away when Hera returned to the land of the living, though she didn't always seem to fully anchor herself in the present. That was how most people were fixed in this world. She seemed to have more freedom in the matter. For a cost.

He had in fact spent the last two hours in a brother town by the city docks. It had only been chosen because it was rarely frequented by the city guard. Thackett didn't want to end up hanged after being dragged out of a brothel in the nude.

Before that he had gone to pray. He had gone to pray every time he had told the vagrants that was where he was going. The most complicated lies grew harder to sell over time. A truth no one would believe was far easier.

The temple of Aionus was not large here. As was usual there were no seats before the suit of armour at the end of the hall. The congregation was expected to kneel on cushions. There were just a few children in robes minding the temple. Likely homeless strays taken in by the church.

Jeriah strode to the cushions closest to the empty, oversized suit of armour. It had been painted in a gold leaf but was likely a cheap iron underneath.

It did not matter that this was a small temple with a mediocre avatar of their god. Aionus was in all places and all times.

"I think I caused several deaths today," he spoke to the suits feet. "I was hoping to save an acquaintance from the noose. We failed and I will miss his crude, crude stories over the fire."

Thackett looked more thoughtful than sad as he spoke. He pursed his lips and continued.

"I didn't expect today to be one of those days where I find my faith shaken by the inequality in this world."

Jeriah looked up at the empty helm in defiance.

"I'm sure starting with an apology and launching into a complain doesn't endear me to you, but I think we both know you're not going to talk to me again." Thackett let his frustration show. He raised a fist and thumped a cushion beside him. One of the boys carrying a case between side rooms looked over at him.

"Oh screw you," Thackett muttered, leaving at a brisk pace and vanishing back into the night.

Jeriah paused at the street corner. The sun was painting streaks of colour between the distant mountains. He waited and listened until he was certain he wasn't being followed. He had always been a good listener.

"I didn-" William began but Jeriah moved on before he could interject. He waited until he had his back to him before he rolled his eyes. Jeriah's line of 'going for a wee pray' was generally code for some debauchery. The charlatan claimed it was for the good of his health.

A half shriek, half yelp sounded when the komodo grabbed him. Hands beat futilely against an arm that seemed to be thick as both of his put together. The blast of fire sent a wave of heat through the room, strong enough to nearly crack stone. But the miserable fire was now crackling along well. He was dumped unceremoniously before the behemoth stalked out with a leer.

Morning brought mild relief from the pain though he knew he'd have the aches and soreness for another few days. Getting used to a beating didn't mean you got quicker healing from them. The floor had been a good bed. Being warm and with four walls and a roof meant the accommodation was almost palatial by his standards.

"Not a notion" he yawned, sitting up and wincing at the flare of pain in some parts. He'd have to make sure he wasn't nominated as the punching bag in their next foray. "Jeriah went for a pray and with luck that monster is gone off with one of their caravans". Non humans, beastly creatures really. Couldn't trust them as far as you could throw them. And komodi were very difficult to throw.

Melfa had situated herself at a small table downstairs at the inn, quietly crunching on the bones and discarded pieces of food left behind by the evening's patrons. Insofar as the previous sentence goes, it went without saying that the table wasn't small - Melfa was large - and quietly accounted only for the fact that she wasn't speaking to anyone though she was eating loudly. Difficult to crunch chicken bones in silence.

The detritus of dinner was often served free, or for the meager penance of a copper (mostly for the use of the plate and drink that accompanied). Komodi weren't regularly invited to civilized parties, but they made a great clean-up crew of party messes.

When Jeriah walked in Melfa lifted her gaze, biting into what appeared to be a leg bone with the same ease someone might bite into an uncooked carrot. She had a few new items on her figure that may or may not have been apparent to the man, but time spent with a Komodi Caravan had more uses than just an easy bedmate for the night.

For the time being, she said nothing to him and continued her meal. If one could call it a meal.

Jeriah rubbed his eyes and yawned as he walked into the inn. Melfa's bone crunching was like a chisel to the brain. He winced but meandered towards her table and pulled out a chair.

"I see you found a flock of chicken for breakfast?" he mused. A small voice suggested that the komodi might not appreciate the subtleties of sarcasm. He was glad there was a komodi caravan on the outskirts of the town. If there hadn't been he might have suggested smuggling Melfa out of the town in the small ours of the morning.

"Have you seen the others awake?" he asked. He turned to see if anyone was around. A beer with some bread and dripping would go down well, he decided.

• Yay
Reactions: William de Courcey
Hera grimaced, lowering herself into the cold wooden chair by the table. “It’s not a monster. It’s a Komodi, and it’ll bite your lips off if you don’t start speaking nicer to it.“

She drained the last of the left over mead from the chalice, running a hand through her hair and tuuuuuugging at the roots. Ugh. Migraine.

She pulled over the cold, congealed leftovers and started to eat them ravenously. She never ate when she got into one of her moods, and after days of trying to pull their friend from death’s door, she looked thinner for it.

“Why am I only wearing a blanket?”

"No smoke without fire" William shot back, "There's a reason they're not left in some towns". He avoided staring at Hera. Scantily clad, the allure was ruined a bit by how she wolfed down a morass of leftovers and downed stale ale.

"You weren't dressed in much more when you arrived" he said, getting up with some care. He'd be walking funny for a few days. Another glance at Hera demolishing what was left on the table. "I might go downstairs to get some breakfast. Do you want me to bring anything up for you?"

Melfa paused between crunchings only long enough to get "Wat flock?" out before taking up the next piece of carcass. Maybe she didn't understand his humor. Maybe she didn't understand the word flock. It was anyone's guess, really. (It's the latter.)

A shake of her head in response, horns just barely missing the wagon-wheel chandelier of half-spent candles over their heads.

With another loud CRUNCH she bit down into a pheasant-sized ribcase that someone hadn't bothered to pick clean last night. To her side the rattling of her tail across the floor as it snaked upwards, curling in the air before smacking against the nearby table twice.

"More!" Melfa called out to the barmaid who came hustling out with another tray of leftovers.

"Won't have any left fer the pigs at this rate," she quipped as she dropped the platter onto the table, bits and pieces flying about. Her hands went to her hips as she tutted at the Komodi before looking to Jeriah, "Anything fer you?"

"The flock that you are apparently eating," Thackett chuckled. He looked significantly more at peace with himself this morning than he had the night before. That made sense; he had lost a companion the previous evening.

Jeriah slid a few extra coins onto the table for the mess that Melfa was making. Someone would have to clean it up. At least he hoped the komodi would not lick the floor clean.

"Bread and dripping? And a beer?".

"We got jam?"

"That will do nicely, thank you."

• Popcorn
Reactions: Asemir
The leftovers were practically crumbs now, and still her stomach rumbled.

"Uh..." She rubbed at her face, smearing grease and uncaring. She smelt like city water anyway. Which was a kinder way to say they had likely swum through sewage.

"My bag, where is it?" They had prepared for this. At least, Jeriah had. Last night the room had been set up and their supplies dropped. Hera stood up and rustled towards the pile, still driven by her hunger. "Out, go, I need to change." She ordered, holding the blanket precariously to her with one hand while the other yanked clothing out.

William twisted his back a little for a satisfying crack. "Not the foggiest" he told her, "Jeriah might know though, want me to check downstairs for him?" Unless the vagrant was sleeping in some gutter reeking of drink and vomit. Or worse floating face down in the river with a knife in his back.

Her imperious command made him give a mock bow as she ordered him to the door. "As you wish milady" he told her with false gravity. The hand holding the blanket didn't waver an inch and her tone brooked no argument. William slid out, taking care to shut the door behind him lest he get another earful.

He trooped down the stairs with careless steps. Jeriah and the...thing were there enjoying breaking their morning fast. "Gods above" he intoned, "Where were yiz all the night?"

Melfa briefly paused to look down at her meal quizzically.

"Is checkan, not flock."

Boy were they in trouble if the leader of this group couldn't tell a chicken when he saw one. Monch monch monch. She munched in silence until the jumpy one emerged from the room, slit pupils within saffron orbs watched him while he descended the staircase and remained utterly fixated as he joined them at the table.

Melfa couldn't understand him through his accent, so she continued crunching on carcass bones while pointedly staring at the man.

Jeriah drummed his fingers on the table, seemingly transfixed by the display of appetite.

"That one was indeed a chicken. Altogether it was most certain what I would call an entire flock of chicken. And William, where I go at night is entirely my own business. Unless you are asking Melfa where she found a flock of chicken to slaughter. I imagine it takes a lot of food to keep such a powerful sword arm swinging."

He gave the waiter a big smile as his food and beer were placed down in front of him. Some dripping to dip the bread in would have gone better with the beer but he wasn't going to complain.

"Come and sit down William. It's time for a new scheme and I have a mark in mind. A baron who's just replaced his peasants with kobold slaves who needs to be hurt in his wallet."

• Yay
Reactions: Ceit
William made a face as Jeriah chided him for being nosy. The charlatan's smile widened as a large platter of food and drink were placed down in front of him. He didn't need to be told twice to sit, sliding in opposite Jeriah and helping himself to some of the food.

"I thought slavery was meant to be illegal around here now?" there were always ways around it though, the easiest being just changing what they were called. Kobolds though. Like Melfa except small, weak, and vicious.

He raised his hand to get beer brought for him. "A baron. Aren't we flying a little too close to the sun to chance that?" his head jerked towards the hulking komodi, "Especially after what we got up to yesterday?" he put delicately.

Jeriah waved this away as if it was of little concern. He tore off a chunk of bread and swept up a generous coated of jam.

"Far from here," he waved away, talking with his mouth full. "Few days ride."

• Yay
Reactions: Ceit
Melfa had to stop again, looking down at her plate as he motioned to it. She hadn't killed those chickens, what on earth was he talking about?

Oh well. Monch monch monch crunch.

"Melfa not ride," the komodo interjected at the end of Jeriah's sentence. There simply wasn't a horse big enough for her.

• Yay
Reactions: Jeriah Thackett
"We can get a wagon, or join a caravan along the road," Thackett said, rolling one hand in mid air.

It quickly returned to his mug of ale. Not a bad brew, he thought as he drained a third of it in one go.

"But we do need to get out of town quickly."

"Join a caravan"

William's voice was flat. He was trying to picture the four of them by the side of the road. Jeriah with a big beaming smile, Melfa looming, Hera distracted by a tree or flower, and then him trying to appear inconspicuous. What right minded merchant was going to invite them aboard?

"Maybe investing a wagon might be a better idea" he suggested, loathe though he was to part with money. "Anything that gets us out of here"

Melfa made a deep, rumbling noise of thought, spiked tail sliding across the wooden floor as she shifted in her seat. The chair groaned.

"Komodi caravan move to next city soon. Melfa have long night with clan leader," her tail curled upwards as she eased back from her empty plate, the end of it arching round to her face like a serpent. She used a spike to pick at her pointed teeth.

"Small price, can join."

• Yay
Reactions: Jeriah Thackett
"See," said Jeriah, pointing a chunk of bread towards Melfa. A single drop of crimson jam landed in the middle of the table.

"All we need to do is wait a while until their clan leader is able to walk again and we get get out of the town. They won't notice a single komodi in a caravan and hopefully no one got a good look at Hera's face..."

He did not think they had been looking at her face.

William held up his hands in surrender. "Point taken".

Leaving with a komodi caravan wasn't his first pick of transport but it definitely beat dancing the hemp fandango. The annoying bit was that they were going to have to pay for the privilege.

"Nah she was in the room all night, no one would have seen her face" he assured Jeriah, the comment sailing right over his head. He shot a concerned look towards the chair that was bravely taking the komodi's bulk. "I mean we should be able to walk right out. And for Melfa, well one komodi will look like another to the guards"