Fate - First Reply Dead and Alive

A 1x1 Roleplay where the first writer to respond can join

Razputin Demetrius Teak

“A bit busy at the moment, Ant.”
Elbion College
Character Biography
Link
Within the famed library of Elbion College, a student snakes through the massive shelves following his relatively novice spell of locating while mentally reciting the list of books the librarian told him he would need for his latest assignment within the class of General Studies. His movements at first look somewhat put together and focused, but a single look at his hat covered eyes and it would not be hard to tell the poor kid was struggling. He paced forward quickly and magically requested the glowing orb that marked his minor incantation’s existence speed up while simultaneously looking up and around in a futile attempt to catch a glance of the desired titles himself. Finally, he came to a gap with a large table in the middle with a couple chairs stationed around it and a few closed books scattered on it’s surface. In a moment of horrified realization, the young boy moans in exasperated pain as he finds himself back where he started this seemingly hopeless search. Ungracefully shoving himself into a seat, five ghostly figures would come out and join him at the table, hovering inside the seats.

This boy of 19 was named Razputin, and he was a new student at one of the most prestigious boarding schools ever to exist. Of course, given this massive opportunity he had earned, there was near endless time and reason to fear and overthink. His icy blue eyes flicked to and fro as he scanned the expressions of his compatriots from under the oversized wizard hat that covered his head. Nothing looked good in their features, and he was beginning to get a sinking feeling his partners in crime had similar luck. He then twiddled with the blue and gold collar on his robe as he scanned the paper detailing the assigned reading once more. Finally, he sighed, wringing his hands and looking around with a pleading gaze.

“No luck?” he’d ask, struggling to keep his composure and not figuratively melt into a huge blob of panicked pudding. The first ghost shook his head and played a sad tune on his lute. “Antares was as effective as a defective directive at finding the book for your chosen elective.” he would mutter in practiced falsetto. That wasn’t even that much rhyming, so at least the ghost respected the fact he didn’t want to hear it right now. The second ghost, however, prowled closer and got straight in the boy’s face with a sneer. The kid met his gaze with a confused stare, scooting back a bit. “I taught you better than this, so shut the fuck up and make a better strategy, Razputin Demetrius Teak. Rid will not apologize for his failure to succeed until you do.”

The second ghost would spit this demand like an insult in the face of the surprised boy, who was now bristling at the use of his full name. Still, Razputin was not of small tact, so after a short stand-off between the two he realized the doctor was most likely right. “I see sense in your words, Rid. My heart got ahead of my head, and that blinded me,” Razputin would admit easily, even bowing his head to emphasize his apology. “What do you propose?” He’d ask, still nose to nose with the ethereal human. Rid would back off, floating through the table to where he had come from, sighing in disappointment. “At least you understand my perspective. Fine, but this foolishness will never be permitted again. Now, Den should be able to help us more with things regarding books. We are in his domain of experience.”

Razputin would smack his hat-wearing head, almost upset he had failed to do more with such a huge advantage. “I am disappointed with myself now as well, missing something so blatantly obvious. Thank you for bringing my sorry mind to it’s senses.” Suddenly, the very man in question would begin to speak, a much older and soft voice somehow still piercing through the louder two.

“Quiet down, you two. I have a grasp on your request, so stop talking and let me think. A book on the History of Magic? I saw one, but it might not be the source your proctor wants you to learn from.” Den rumbled slowly, sighing as an excited Raz practically jumped out of his seat. “It doesn’t matter. The general history of magic is going to be the same because it is talking about magic as a whole versus a specific type, I believe. Lead the way.”

As they were walking, Den struck up a conversation that turned out to have an interesting result. “Even I know a bit about magic history given how integral it is. Want to know a bit before you blindly put your faith in a book?” Raz would turn his head and begin an intriguing conversation which by the end he was so involved in, asking questions and debating answers that when he bumped into somebody, he barely had time to turn and see his books falling to the floor. Well, this isn’t good, he’d think, still only physically capable of looking in shock.

Last edited:
  • Yay
Reactions: Hieronymus Pangloss
Hieronymus Pangloss oft spent his unnocupied hours amidst the countless stacks of Elbion's libraries. Few as they may be. Perusing, more oft than not, and people watching.

As he did now, eyeing the curious young student who seemed to be wound tight as a top string. So, he approached the youth. His red robes trailing lazily behind him.

As he grew closer, he could hear the conversation playing out in the hushed halls of the library. While he seemed to stand alone, Hieron could here feint whispers stirring in the air.

Perhaps it was his own curiosity that had him lapse in awareness. However it came to be, the two bumped into each other, and the young scholar dropped his books onto the floor.

Hieron cleared his throat. "Having a bit of trouble, young scholar?" he asked, and glanced at the clatter of old tomes on the floor.

He helped the boy gather them up.

Whence he had straightened up, with a tome or two in hand, he felt the air thick with the weave of gheists. And with a quirk of his brow, Hieron could see the feint trails and forms of the company the boy kept.

A small sound of surprise came from his throat.
"My," he said with smile. "Quite the crowd you keep," he cleared his throat, and gave the young scholar and his ghostly crew a bow of the head. "Maester Pangloss, if you will," he eyed to tomes in his possession. "On the histories of Magic, I see," a genial smile curled across his lips, and his white whiskers bobbed with amusement.

Last edited:
Raz knew he had bumped into someone, but he did not expect the unfortunate victim to be a Maester, let alone one like Pangloss. The stories of the feats of the fourth order member were wonders to read and research, and that is just what happened when Den and Eo learned of his wanting to apply in order to study at Elbion College. “I’m so sorry, sir. Thank you for taking the time to help a new student, despite your status as a member of the Fourth Order probably demanding more important responsibilities.”

The young boy would bow, being careful not to drop any books this time. Still, he almost dropped them anyways when the old master remarked about crowds. He could see them, see them all. Why did that give Razputin a sense of peace? Not even he knew at the time. “Wait, what do you- No, that’s to be expected, nevermind. If you’re able to communicate with them, they’ll reveal anything you’d ever want to know about themselves. Still, do not tell anyone else. I don’t feel like repeating….” He’d trail off as he glanced down at the books in his hands, the histories of certain magica and their origins.

“Yes, yet my newest assignment has only to do with the general history of Magic, so most of these are useless. Would you happen to know anything about that? My librarian friend has offered to fill in the blanks, but perhaps you would be willing to help as well?” he’d genuinely request, looking at Dentoine as he said “librarian friend” just so the Maester would know who he was talking about.

• Yay
A hum of curiosity came from the old wizard. "Your secret is safe with me, young scholar," Hieron assured.

A happy bounce of his shoulders, and Hieron nod in kind toward the spirit of the Librarian. "Ah, tis a grand tapestry of you've been asked to investigate, young man, one with many colors, and countless hands that have added to its span, " Hieron cocked his head with pondering. "On the general history of Magic," he chuckled small. "Well, before I add my own stitch to this canvas you aim to grasp, I would know your name, young scholar, if you would be so kind,"

Razputin Demetrius Teak

Ever since Raz had been left by his mother's grave at age thirteen, he had known the dead. Refia first watched over him in pity, and Razputin caught her in the corner of his eye. One confused attempt at communication later, and he learned that his words not only reached the dead, but that he could impart emotions into them as well. Shortly after, his sob story had attracted four more friends: A bard who aspired to teach him music, a doctor who decided to help him learn medicine to survive, a Librarian excited to have a host who might possibly go to a library someday, and a Wizard who connected his abilities in communication to unusually high mana and decided to make him into a protege of sorts.

However, he and his friends were not exactly accepted within society, and though he managed to scrounge up enough funds on the streets to attend school like the rest of the children, they did not accept him either. Their inability to see the dead made them think he was crazy and talked to himself like a lunatic. This sentiment soon shifted into bullying, and while Raz did not exactly mind it thanks to the stone cold doctor's advice, it was such a hassle deal with the constant distraction. He could not afford distraction, not then and certainly not now.

Razputin drew in a sigh of relief at the wizard's promise of confidence. He sounded serious, so Raz calmed down a bit. "Thank you kindly for accepting my request, sir," He'd say with a small smile, glad to know someone actually cared what he thought. "My name is Razputin Demetrius Teak. I usually go by Raz, but if that's a bit too informal for you, I also answer to just Teak."

• Yay
Hieron gave a slight nod. "Rasputin D. Teak, a fine name, for an aspiring scholar of the magical and mysterious," he looked to those gheists that kept him company.

For such a young man, to be gifted in such a way. It was a miracle the boy had made it so far as Elbion. The old wizard caught himself combing the stormy grey trails of his beard, and cleared his throat.

"Hm, come, young Teak, these old bones grow stiff if I stand around for too long," he began to walk slowly past the young scholar and his posse of poltergeists. "I am most curious, you see, as to your thoughts, on the history of magic, what has your friend, the... librarian, was it?" he smiled friendly, and nod to the ghost in question. "What have they surmised?"

And at a pace that was markedly relaxed, and precisely directionless, Hieron strolled through the great library.

Razputin Demetrius Teak

Last edited:
"Ahem. Sir, I do not mean to be out of line or annoying, but my first name is RAZputin, not RASputin," the young boy would say quickly, trying to emphasize the difference in sound between the Z and S. Following that, he would state with a nod: "Hieronymus Pangloss, quite a fine name as well, and one fitting of a Maester." The young boy did not mean to mock the storied elder, but instead try to copy him. It IS said imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

The boy would chuckle a bit at the suggestion to sit, remembering a quote by Den. "I think sitting is a good idea. I was once told by a rather wise gentleman that reading while sitting gives you less energy to worry about standing and more energy to devote to study."

After saying that, he would lift up his hat to reveal two piercingly light blue eyes, as well as pick up the pace in order to maintain at least a little eye contact. The young scholar would then look up with a musing expression, as if trying to remember what he and his friends were speaking of before their extraordinary encounter with Heironymus.

"I hope you can pardon my rambling, but I will go into as much detail as I can recount," Razputin warned, signaling quite obviously he was about to ramble.

"Well, we started off with who first learned about the flow of magic and how to harness it, as well as some of the disasters that occurred when people explored darker forms of magic and became corrupted. Of course, it was after those disasters we as humans realized actual entities such as gods controlled different forms of magic, so we then discussed who we attribute control of those types of magic and spells to. Finally, we talked about the impetus for schools that teach magic, like the mage academies in Alliria and this very College itself. We didn't go much deeper than that, I believe."

Last edited:
  • Yay
"Oh," Hieron sounded surprised. "My mistake, Razputin it is," he admitted. A slight bow of his head, admittance and apology for the mistake. A little chuckle came soon after as they stepped on, upon hearing his name spoken. "Couldn't say I was a fan of it at your age," he puffed his cheeks, and squinted his eyes. "Always sounded too old," a cool sigh, and a smirk curled his lips. "But, some things you grow into," he surmised.

They kept strolling at an easy pace, and Hieron listened to the young man tell what he felt he knew of the histories of magic.

"Ah," he said at the end of the summary, a mischievous smile upon his lips. "And who was it, that first claimed the gifts of magic, pray tell?"

Razputin Demetrius Teak

“Ah, well, I wouldn’t use old. I would look more to the adjective wise and arcane, two words to fit the name of a great wizard, which you have definitely grown into. I aspire to one day become a member of the Foard as well, so speaking to someone like you is an invaluable experience.” He’d say this and then look at Dentoine, shortly after verbally requesting the librarian retain as much of their conversation as he could, to which the librarian affirmed he could currently grasp all of.

“Specific quotes are good,” He’d say, just catching his impromptu mentor’s next question.

“Well, perhaps I worded that poorly. We discussed who first discovered magic according to certain books that are said to be reliable, but the truth is nobody really knows for certain, given that histories are different in different places. It’s a question I’d love to one day be able to answer, even if it takes my life to do it.”

He’d sigh, perhaps finally remembering the books in his hand. This was fun, Hieron even talking to him was fun. His proctors were of high level, of course, but none of them seemed as high level as who he was conversing with. “All of my teachers are nice, but I wish we could talk more than just this probably one time occurrence. I’d never ask to be some sort of protege, since you most likely have better things to do than devote time to a lowly student, but…whatever.

He said this without a guilt-tripping tone, literally meaning lowly. In terms of importance, jobs worthy of someone of the Fourth were impossibly more needed and prioritized than a random new kid. Still, that didn’t mean he couldn’t ask questions of his own.

“Now I have a few questions for you, sir? What do you like about magic in general? Do you know any spells from schools other than the college school?”

• Yay
The old Maester made a surprised sound at the young scholar's forwardness, and forthright nature. It was not every day one met a young mind, so hungry for enrichment.

"You would be surprised, young Teak," he said with a little laugh, still strolling easily through the library. Pointed his crown toward an oncoming obstacle that might trip up the astute student. "Much of the business of the upper echelons involves a great deal of tedium, and paper pushing," he shook his head, remembering his last meeting with the Foard.

All the effort and preparation it had taken, to achieve a minute step toward a goal he felt should have been simple and clear for all to understand. He laughed at it.

"Well, you speak some wisdom," he assured. "Skepticism is oft undervalued, and too quick are many to trust the written word," this, as they passed countless volumes and tomes collected over the course of generations. As many lies written betwixt the bindings as truths, he surmised.

"Ah, a few questions for me, you say?" he mulled them over. "Magic, is like most good things in life," he said with an easy smile. "A way in which we can explore our relationship with this thing we call, existence," he pursed his lips, and quirked his brow. "I learned a handy spell from an Aberresai Flame Whisperer, involving some rare and magical beans,"

"Well, I'd assume so, sir. The upper echelon most likely has more to do because they get to do more, if that isn't confusing. The alchemy teacher has stated there will be a sort of test coming up where we get to explore outside the walls of the college, and I anticipate having to do paperwork myself, so I guess we have that in common despite the difference in status." He'd say this with a chuckle, a tiny, flickering spark of excitement in his eye.

On the topic of trusting people, Razputin had not much to say. There weren't many people, alive at least, who he knew well enough to trust in the first place. The people who often talked down to and disrespected him never had a reason to really be that mean to him. To them, he was weird and crazy and an obvious target for insults, but he could never understand what he had done to deserve it. Though he seemed personable enough, Razputin only really believed in things it made sense to believe in, giving him a deep cynicism.

At the thought that magic was a way they could learn about existence, the young man actually paused walking. Though magic was powerful and sometimes even otherwise impossible, it didn't make sense that something humans could understand with their limited time would help us begin to figure out something so utterly...what was it?

Unfathomable, that was the only word he could think of. Given he was in an educational setting, he did more than just think, though.

"My life has made me an awful pessimist, so I hope you do not take disrespect to this, but I disagree. Tallying everyone in history across the world, we do not even understand magic totally, so how would you expect us to begin understanding existence even with its help?" He'd ask this with an interested tone, given that this perspective was one he had never heard.

Hieronymus Pangloss

Last edited: