Fate - First Reply Dark Gathering

A 1x1 Roleplay where the first writer to respond can join
She tossed the bigger purse back into the cover of the carriage and sat next to Raziel waiting for the passing of the city gates. An easy purchase into the kingdom and their thoughts on the town were very similar.

This place was droll. Even a bit sad. She hated it. It made her feel a combination of emotions that she didn't want to experience. She was too used to jumping from lavish city to lavish city without any interval of being around the poor or seeing the unfortunate in person. She felt almost sick looking at it. These were not feelings she knew how to process.

"Sounds good. Are we planning to lay low this evening?"

• Yay
Reactions: Raziel
"Indeed," Raziel replied. He hoped their definitions of 'laying low' were vaguely similar. "We'll need to get a change of clothes for tonight. Nothing too fancy. I am a bureaucrat and you are my apprentice."

He drew up the carriage alongside a large inn. It had its own stables and hopefully enough room to stash and cover the small carriage. It wasn't going to be cheap, but then he wasn't paying.

"We'll need to get some aspects of our history lined up," he explained. "Can you read, write, count?" he asked.

Reading and writing were rare skills in Arethil, but if she didn't then he simply needed to explain that his apprentice was being taught those skills. This family owned mining business likely wouldn't keep many ledgers anyway. Hopefully there was enough to review to get a sense of whether they were really a front for some anti-monarchists.

• Devil
Reactions: Amalia Rosethorn
"What kind of person recommended me to you with the thought I was illiterate?" She chuckled a little. "I grew up rich. Schooling wasn't an option for me, but a necessity. Though I can't forge others writings or the like." She looked up to the sky. Maybe that should be something to learn. It sounded like fun. Controlling the words of another.

"With extra coin on our hands it shouldn't be hard to find a less..." She looked down at her own outfit. "...Incriminating get up." She looked back over to Raziel. "I hate to bring this up, doll, but. Are you not a little worried about how some may react to you being a tiefling? Many harbor resentment to just your appearance." She didn't mean to offend, there was just truth to it. Humans especially had a hard time dealing with one who looked like a demon.

After a few turns of her gaze, she pointed out a tailor to Raziel not far off their path. "Shall we?"

• Yay
"It constantly unnerves them and it's just the way I like it. I had an aold acquaintance forge some papers with exceptional care which means I have officially come on behalf of someone who is an entirely plain human. A human with a lot of coin and a lot of power to his name."

Raziel raised an eyebrow as he looked down at Amalia.

"Our mutual acquaintance is a hardly forthcoming with information unless plied with coin.

"Should anyone ask," he said as they reached the door, "Our cases were stolen. Only if they ask."

Figures. Likely some pig from high society that she'd killed for before. Those were the only ones who ever asked her for help anyhow. It came as no surprise to Amalia that Raziel knew some of the same fools. A shame. They were never worth working through.

He seemed to have a full grasp on how others are to react. Even indulged in the feelings of others fearing him. What a stunner, she thought quietly. If she could say anything about Raziel it was that he emanated genuine control. "Of course." She said softly before she gently stepped off the carriage.

"You know what you're doing and what you're looking for. I'll follow your lead."

• Yay
Raziel paused before stepping through the door. A swish of his tail betrayed the fact that he was trying to work out if he was being mocked. He decided that he couldn't tell and continued inside.

They emerged a short while later with a package of paper wrapped in string.

"As bland as you would expect an auditor to wear," he bemoaned when they were beyond earshot of the shop. It was a small enough town that rumours could spread like wildfire from a single store owner.

"Drab colours are not my favourite," he added, "and as you pointed out it is not as if an outfit will hide my heritage, but we must look the part."

Hey look, they agreed on something. These outfits were gonna suck. She prided herself on being the prettiest killer she could be so this would feel completely backwards. The idea of playing dress up for a job was pretty enticing though. She could make this work.

She took some time in the parlor to find the best outfit she could. Essentially anything that would make her gag. She ended up settling on a brown tunic and vest, with a pair of hideous green pants that still matched the top. After purchasing she went into their dressing area and changed promptly. She also tied her hair up into a tight, short ponytail and removed her earrings.

She came out with her old outfit in hand and looked at Raziel. "Ugh." She said under her breath, as she peered at herself through her reflection in the window.

• Yay
Later that evening

They arrived in suitably drab clothing at the Earl of East Hyrralder's gathering. The young nephew, once removed, from the King was known to stay in the city most of the year. He left his province in the hands of beurocrats and only stayed there when it suited him in the summer months.

It was not the kind of royal gala where people were announced. By the time they arrived there was a small dance floor going to the sound of a small band who had been hidden from sight. Several rooms were given over gambling, the air laden with smoke. Games were played to flickering candlelight and brandy was the drink of choice. In the main hall food was still served. A familiar harlequin entertained the guests with feats of acrobatics and mime.

"You are young. Important men will ignore you. See what you can hear about the current state of these lands," Raziel whispered.

Amalia felt weird being surrounded by her usual crowd in disguise as she never previously had felt the need to. She hated her clothes but tried very hard to keep her disdain for them under wraps as she accepted the request given to her by her current employer. Raziel proved to be a very organized man as the time they spent together went on. She was beginning to enjoy this job quite a bit. The harlequin had also made a reappearance interestingly enough.

She nodded towards Raziel and took her leave. She made her way to the main hall to get some food as she realized she was famished. Once she'd had her plate she made her over to a drink and a seat. A bit of her gluttony made this call but she also knew that those indulging in alcohol were more likely to talk loudly and thoughtlessly, and sure enough...

"There's been whispers of rebellion, yes."
A voice rang out from a pompous looking heavier set male. "They've yet to act however. Unappreciative denizens are bound to be found anywhere. They think they are right in their revolution yet forget the tribulations it causes us! Those who have given them all they have in the first place!"

The man was confident and must be from a high position in the kingdom. She leaned her head towards him while looking Raziel's way, indicating his importance. She sat and sipped her wine listening intently.