Fate - First Reply Dark Gathering

A 1x1 Roleplay where the first writer to respond can join

Raziel

Tiefling Blood Mage
Character Biography
Link
The fire crackled, sending shapes dancing across his page. It wasn't particularly condusive to writing, so Raziel's quill hovered over the page. He finished adding a few more notes and then set the notebook down. The small book was bound in a study, dark leather. The pages were fine calf vellum. The outer binding was dwarf. A small private joke: that his story was told in the lives of his victims. He hoped someone would find it amusing long after he had departed this world.

Raziel looked towards the skies, his tail slowly swishing across the grass. He waited for three individuals. They would find him easily enough here. Not many lit fires this close to a road known to be plagued by bandits. Common bandits were of little concern to him. Nor would they bother the other three.

First came The Crone.

proxy.php

He heard her coming from a long way. Muttering and cursing under her breath.

"Raziel," she muttered, taking a seat on a log without invitation. She set down her heavy bag. Raziel knew that she would complain bitterly at its weight, yet she would carry it for miles and miles without stopping any lower than she started.

She pulled out a pestle and mortar and started grinding some freelsh petals. The rhythmic sound joined the fires.

He neither saw nor heard the third member of the group arriving. He looked away, looked back and the macabre mask of The Harlequin was looking back at him.

proxy.php

She didn't speak. She never did. She merely offered the slightest tilt of her head. Raziel started mentally preparing the defensive spells within his arsenal.

If the three of them did not unnerve one another then they were beginning to fail at their craft. They had worked together in the past but it was not a regular event. Few had the will, or even the funds, to make a contract lucrative enough that they would work together. Toppling an entire kingdom, even a small one, was worth it.

That just left the fourth member. The outsider. One they had not worked with before. All three glanced at the remaining log beside the fire.

• Cheer
Reactions: Amalia Rosethorn
"Miscreants, the lot of you." A dreamy voice rang from the shadows above it seemed. And from them fell a pale petite woman of human birth eyeing all three with extreme discontent. Her judgment was far from hidden even from behind the elegant mask she bore.

She walked up to the Crone and examined her closely, pointing a finger at her. "Why aren't you tired, hag? Your age has become much more weight than knowledge, wouldn't you agree?" She scoffed and turned her face away from the old woman quickly, letting her eyes wander to the Harlequin, where she promptly laughed daintily.

"Cute! You must be the soulless puppet killer!" She put a hand to her chest and dawned a prissy, regal pose with her knee kinked. "How outplayed you are, and too shy to say a word. You must not be very good at what you do." She finished her light giggle and finally turned her attention to Raziel, who she walked directly up to.

"You. You are the one who requested me, no? So far nothing of this seems remotely worth my time. I'd love to hear what it is you intend to waste my talents on, exactly." She pirouetted around and walked to an empty spot in the dark, where she promptly conjured an queens throne made entirely of ice in front of her. She sat in it and waved the back of her hand at Raziel.

"Your explanation, please." She demanded, snooty and uncaring tone attached to her words. Her arrogance was matched only by her genuine apathy. She thought herself much better than those she'd chosen to involve herself with.

• Yay
Reactions: Raziel
Amalia Rosethorn

Silence followed. It was a deep silence. The kind that hides all kinds of dark desires. Raziel turned his gaze slowly to the Harlequin and then to the Crone. They both looked back at him with a bemused indifference, clearly waiting for him to reply.

"Topple a minor kingdom without murdering the king or any of his immediate family. Turn a very popular monarch into a figure of public hatred and have him deposed before the winter is over. Ensure that the change of power is bloody and opens the doors for our benefactors to gain a foothold."

Raziel leaned forwards towards the fire and placed his chin in his hands. He was smartly dressed in a fine coat, a bejewelled blade at his hip. There was nothing overtly dangerous about the Tiefling. The girl was probably too young to see where the danger was. Someone wiser and older would meet his gaze and see it there.

"Should you think that is too minor for your..." he waved his hand towards what he assumed was now a rapidly melting and uncomfortable chair. "...then I suppose you could take it on by yourself or choose a different contract."

• Devil
"Oooh that does sound fun!" She blurted. Her tone seeming to switch from a moody narcissist to one somewhat childlike and full of wonder and curiosity. As if who she was a second go was seemingly not even there anymore. "But we can't kill the king?" She put her hands on her hips as she stood up and pouted. The ice throne vanishing.

She moved back up to the Harlequin and felt up the cape she donned. "This is so soft, I love it! Did you have it custom made?" She spun around with hair hands in the air and a silly little hum. "Ooooh whatcha makin'?" She mused over towards the Crone. She almost seemed like she'd entirely forgotten her horrendously rude entry.

"But but but!" She faced Raziel once again speaking softly and raising her hand with an eager tone. "I'll get to kill some people, won't I???" She started to make a snow man out of her magic.

• Yay
They were all uniquely talented. The three of them that had worked together would never be described as normal. They each were a little broken in their own way, more than a touch eccentric. Raziel knew he wad his own vices.

Perhaps someone had sent them a magical prodigy who was already far more broken than the rest of them. A shattered porcelain doll. All sharp edges.

"Dunno," the Crone replied. "Just one flow now. Could bring a man back to life. Could kill one slowly over a year with one drop."

The Harlequin said nothing. Somehow, despite wearing that mask she had gone from curious to impassive.

"It will be a blood bath, in the end. But there is delicate work to be done first. Asking questions and forming a plan. I am to assume that this is not your...area of expertise?" Raziel asked, with as serious an expression as he could manage.

"Hmmm..." She tapped her chin in thought as Raziel asked his question. It was relatively difficult to tell if she was thinking about what was said to her or the snowman she'd just made out of magic. "It's hard for me to be subtle, yes. Yet I'm always happy to manipulate. Flirt my way into a room we'd need. I can kill discretely if need be too. I just really really wanna kill something."

She revealed a folded weapon of some sort and and unraveled it in a flash. She cut the the snowman in two quickly with her unveiled scythe and folded it back up in the same motion. She watched her creation crumble with intrigue in her eyes.

"I'm easily much better at slaughtering prey buuuuuut. I am interested to see where this kingdom toppling goes and can play along to whatever I need." She looked up at Raziel with a quaint smile. It was hard to tell if she'd been messing with them or if her brain really had some loose wires. One look into her eyes would tell anyone that she has certainly killed before.

• Yay
Raziel didn't reply, not at first. He was thinking. Raziel was the type who was always following several strands of thought at any given moment. He analysed every situation looking for how it could be turned to his advantage. Now he was considering how exactly he could use the girl’s talents without her nature compromising their task.

"The Harlequin is going to bring us the gossip from court and stay well placed to ensure the entire Royal line is eradicated when the end comes. The Crone will be moving into the city and ensuring that those key figures close to the king are influenced in the right direction."

The Harlequin did not speak, but she could write well enough. The Crone had a repertoire of curses for all needs. A Kings trusted advisor could have a change of heart to suit their needs, have a failure in judgement and lose his place of esteem or even fall ill and suffer a quite horrific end.

"You two will make your own way into the city as per usual, but you - and I don't believe I caught a name - will come with me. A revolution does not come without blood, but it must be the right blood. Killing the king tomorrow would not do. And importantly would not lead to being paid. "

• Thoughtful
"The Cloudburst." She said with a double blink in the direction of Raziel. She did like the idea of killing just about anything though it bummed her out that her actions would be restricted from killing whoever she pleased. Oh well, those things would come after she received the payment Raziel spoke of. She'd almost forgotten entirely that was what drove her here. Pretty, pretty coin.

"Soooo speculation..."
She spoke with a finger to her chin walking in circles. Ice formed where she stepped and vanished as she lifted the next step. "The toppling of a kingdom requires a good amount of set up, that I'm sure Harlequin and Crone are playing a vital role in. Or so it sounds. With the gossip we receive, we would likely find people who share our goals that linger within the walls. Should we not take the life of one those 'allies'? Their death could ensure that rumors are solidified as fact in the minds of those who would later revolt."

• Yay
"Ah, you mean to matyr someone? An interesting proposition."

Raziel had drawn a steel coin from his pocket and started to send it dancing across his knuckles. It was for a separate contract, one that could wait. The Steel Coin made their contracts in magic. A coin bound a soul to the target. If the assassin failed then the coin started to burn. Burn the flesh from the bone, the soul from the body. One needed confidence to take such a contract. Raziel had plenty of that.

"I'm going with some forged letters to investigate the books of a mining business though to be a front for some republicans. If we can find the right one to send into action...make it look like an act of the Crown..."

• Love
She perked up. Ooh it wasn't often that someone found her ideas to be of worth. And then she killed them. It really was a simple life. And look! Raziel even had a way to deploy this plot with class. So unlike the many mongols she was used to having to put up with. She judged them too harshly it seemed. She didn't consider herself a mastermind, but did think she was above most if not all.

"I love this!" She proclaimed with terrifying glee. She pirouetted once more and began to fall backwards, only to re-conjure the throne she had earlier and land gracefully into its seat. "Perhaps I could play a damsel who was disregarded by the crown or even abused! Add a picture to your poetry, per say." She landed an elbow on the arm of the throne and placed her face in her hands, swinging her leg.

• Yay
Raziel was entirely unsure about letting the girl act any particular part. It felt as if she would rouse suspicions of almost anyone.

"Perhaps, but first let's start with you playing the part of my assistant as we ingratiate ourselves with court and go and look into the business of this mining company.

"I was going to steal a carriage along the North Road and take it to the city.." he offered.

Maybe just a little bit of killing would settle the girl down and let him take the measure of her.

• Thoughtful
She pouted a bit, "Awh okay... I suppose it's only natural for you to not trust me. I can't imagine what kind of lowlife recommended me in the first place. I've worked beneath some filth before." It was true. Rich pigs allured by her looks and offering her more than coin. Blech. High society really belonged to scum.

She did jump back out of her icy throne and clap her hands once at his plan. "That sounds far too fun! Let's! I promise to behave and follow your lead for the time being." She'd finally completely come around. It took her a bit to get comfortable with hierarchy. She still didn't even view Raziel above her. But a job was a job and she'd best act right. She offered him an obedient curtsy.

• Yay
Words were powerful things. So we're promises and bindings and contracts. It was a lesson hammered into him when he had been adopted into the Order of the Steel coin. It would suffice, for now, but he would need to see how she worked to decide where she fit in.

It wasn't an easy task for their kind to find a place in a team. He had despised not being the sole architect of his own destiny when he had been forced into it for the first time. It was all about setting the boundaries and allowing each party the freedom to accomplish their own tasks.

In some ways there was trust between the three of them that had arranged themselves around the fire first. In other ways there was absolutely none.

"Well then, rest up, because in the morning we need to steal a carriage."

She stretched her arms over her head and lifted her leg a bit, feigning exhaustion. She offered the crowd of three a warm look and and a promising stare. Though she intended to keep her promise to Raziel. Well unless of course something came up that offered her more... She couldn't control how the world turned. Just how she turned with it.

"I suppose that will be needed. I shall find a place to sleep nearby I suppose. Meet here again come morn?"

• Yay
"First light," he replied. "I want to catch an early carriage."

The next morning there was no crone beside the smouldering remains of the fire. No harlequin either. Just Raziel, who snapped his book shut with a loud clap as she approached.

"Good morning," he purred. "Now did you say you can use a blade as well as magic? We really need this to look like a common robbery."

• Sip
Amalia yawned heavy as she approached. So early, so demanding. So be it, though. She began stretching as if she was about to go for a hefty run. She cracked her neck and back so incredibly loud it could almost be assumed she slept outside if her clothes weren't completely spotless. She looked with heavy eyes at Raziel and put her hands to her cheeks. She began to conjure frost against her cheeks until she couldn't take it anymore. "Fuck! That's cold." She exclaimed. She looked much more awake now.

"Well, I'm familiar with scythes and sickles. Yet daggers aren't too far off from the icicles I conjure? I can stab with those unless your hellbent on me using a practical weapon." She pulled an orange out from her armor and began eating it, skin and all.

• Yay
It took a lot to bemuse the tiefling mage. He had bartered with demons, raised whole towns. He had personally slain the rogue mage Prinaus above the gates of Vel Anir.

The girl managed it. If his other associates had strange tenancies then this girl had a few normal ones to make her seem like a real human.

"All I am saying is no magic for killing the occupants."

• Wonder
She pouted. Amalia was sure that her ice magic would leave no trace of her involvement. She'd done so many assassinations with it and have had almost no authority on her trail. Though she couldn't argue with the tiefling right now. He was her paycheck. She had to keep reminding herself of this.

"Fair enough, boss." She said with a smile. "I'll make it happen." She started to look all around them in curiosity of where the other two may be. They however had their jobs and were likely already on them. This group was efficient if anything.

"So are we laying in wait now? It might be a while before a carriage makes it way."

• Yay
Boss? He could not help but feel he was being mocked. Raziel could be a petty, vengeful creature but it would take more than that to get a reaction if that was what she was after.

"That's the plan, there should be almost one an hour."

As they walked away from the campsite he cast an appraising eye over the young woman.

"They'll stop for you," he declared. "Apparently I do not present a trustworthy facade."

Certainly not enough for a carriage carrying wealthy merchants to stop.

• Yay
He wasn't wrong about that. Many would turn their necks to a tiefling upon the sight of one. How vain and prejudice these merchants could be. Though not surprising it earned her face a scowl from how disgusted she was by the concept. Oh, it was going to be fun to watch the rich squirm. It was always a pleasure.

She curtsied Raziel's way before she removed her mask and set it on a rock. She conjured a small icicle in her hand and cut her own face diagonally with it. She let out a sharp yelp as she did, but it left a noticeable gash on her. She smiled the tieflings way as she covered her armor with her cloak by way of both her hands.

She positioned herself to wander in front of any carriage that may pass by. "Let the games begin."

• Yay
The blood of a mage held its own particular quality. More difficult to manipulate, heavier. Raziel stood before Amalia Rosethorn , tail giving a bemused swish.

It occurred to him that he had denied her magic, but an icicle was probably quite a good weapon for committing murder.

"Indeed, but we can't play with them for too long. Need to get on our way," he said, stroking his goatee in obvious amusement. Raziel turned and went to hide behind a patch of bushes.

• Yay
She waved him down as he spoke in sort of a 'yeah, yeah' kind of way. She understood what needed to be done. And as luck would have it, she'd get to prove her efficiency quite soon. The wound on her face was getting nervously close to healing right before two men sitting in the front of a wagon came slowly her way. She perked up and ran into the road.

"Help me! Help me, oh gods please!" She cried to the two men. They were dressed relatively nice, wagon seemed heavily loaded. The likelihood of them being merchants was great. They stopped dead in their tracks as one got off to come check on Amalia.

"What happened to you?!" One asked in horror upon seeing her wound.

"Bandits!" She cried back. "They're still close! Please for all that is holy take me from this place!" She gripped the mans shirt and begged him profusely. He took her by the shoulders and brought her to the carriage, sitting her behind both of them. The driver whipped the horses and as they did so, Amalia's hand could be seen reaching for the belt of the man that 'saved her', drawing his dagger from it.

"Hey wha'-" Was all he could get out before the cryomancer slashed his throat from left to right. The man careened out of the carriage, The driver looked back in horror and as soon as he did, Amalia grabbed him by the face and stabbed him repeatedly in the stomach, her hand covering his mouth so he could die quietly. She holstered the dagger on her person before grabbing the reins of the carriage to stop it from traveling too far. "Idiots." The Cloudburst let out a happy 'phew' before standing up and waving Raziel down.

After doing so, she went to go drag the body that had fallen out into the trees.

Raziel marched smartly up out of his hiding place. He felt a touch of regret that both of the travellers were dead, or dying. He had no qualms about the kind of person he was, at how his hands twitched with need when it was too long since he had last sent a soul departing this world.

He had told her to get on with it. Business before pleasure. Raziel didn't bother to carry the driver far from the carriage, leaving him barely hidden in the trees on the the roadside. There were few identifying marks on the carriage itself. He used the driver's own coat to wipe the blood from the seats.

"Just a straight ride to Sarkell. The whole town has a stone wall around it. We'll take the east gate where I'm told the guards forget your passage for a few silvers. Did they have any coin on them?"

• Yay
"Enough." She said with a wide smile, jingling a small pouch she'd swiped off the dragged body. "Not the richest of men but well enough off." She hopped into the seat next to Raziel, and touched her finger to her face. She froze the gash she'd caused on herself and when the ice shattered her face looked back to normal.

"I haven't even checked the carriage yet!" She said, clapping her hands. She leaped back through the curtain of the carriage to see what these merchants may have in order to assist them. She let out an audible 'oh!' as she came back to the front with a slightly larger pouch of coins which she handed to Raziel.

"If what I found originally didn't cut it, this certainly should. Aaaaand loooots of wiiinneeee." She said in a sing-songy tone. She then proceeded to freeze all the blood that would have gotten on her and near her, shattering the evidence once it hardened.

• Yay
"Well then, keep the larger purse hidden and the smaller one will be more than sufficient as a bride at the gate. Actually take half the coin from that one. Too much of a bride attracts attention in its own way."

There was no much to getting into the town in the end. Barely even a mumble as the coin was palmed off and they were waved in.

There was nothing exciting about the town. Thick grey walls around a drab settlement. In the centre stood a squat, square tower. The seat of the Kings power over his small kingdom. A little man for a little kingdom. Raziel couldn't imagine living his whole life in such a place, but that was the cycle that the inhabitants would go through for generations.

A familiar old face watched their carriage roll by. How the crone had got here so fast was a mystery even to Raziel.

"We'll find an inn for the short term and see about a cottage for longer," he explained. The King's nephew once removed is having a small party tonight. Might be an opportunity to get a feel for the situation before we visit the Kings Court."