Private Tales Dances With Thieves

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Maranae

Character Biography
Link
She looked in the sack again and blinked at the gleam of bright silver and reddish copper.

It was more money than she'd ever had before. She still wasn't entirely certain how much it was, or what she could get with it. She had come a long way in the many months spent in Alliria; at the start she had been an unwashed, uneducated, poorly socialized and barely a person. Now she was none of these things, or at least she was less of all of them except for the last.

She walked a market just outside the Shallows, head and eyes dancing all around at all the trinkets and pretty things on display for sale. Most of everything here was glass or lacquered wood in brilliant colors; the people here were too poor for jewels and gold. It was just as well she didn't really care about money or jewels. Shiny and sparkling was good enough by her lights. She probably couldn't tell the difference between a ruby and a piece of red glass, anyway.

She towered over most of the crowd, a slim and girlish shape clothed in simple grey tunic and trousers among a sea of adults. There were oddities about her, though. She was human looking, at least. Except for yellow eyes and an uncanny, almost feline grace in her movement. Except for the long incisors. Except for the uncomfortable aura of null, faint though it might be. There were hints of womanhood, but they were faint. Incomplete, as though she were a child despite being over six feet tall.

Listening to her talk sealed that deal.

She stopped at a table that was covered in bangles and necklaces made of brass and copper and set with cunningly cut glass so that it sparkled and gleamed in the late afternoon light. She was staring at a particularly gaudy looking choker with a ruddy imitation ruby, the proprietor of the table anxiously taking in her threadbare appearance. She pointed at the choker and opened her mouth to speak-

-and then found herself staring up at the table from the ground as someone or something cannoned into her at speed. She offered a grunt as the only initial reaction, and then quickly got to her feet afterwards. She started to turn back to the table and its ridiculously gaudy jewelry and then stopped.

The sack with the coins in it was gone.

She looked at the ground round her and saw nothing. She stopped, faced scrunched up with the effort of thought, and then her mouth slowly fell open as it dawned on her that she had been robbed. Bamboozled.

Filched!

"H-hey!" Her head snapped left and right, and caught sight of a fleeing shape running down the street. Whoever it was already had two streets of lead on her.

With a huff, she took off after the thief. Probably thief.

There wasn't so much anger on her face as determination to get back what was hers.

• Devil
Reactions: Ivy
She ran. She ran as fast as her bare feet can take her. As fast as she can with the stamina left in her. Ivy was not a particularly bad person. She tries to live honestly as her parents told her, but as far as she is concerned, they are gone now, or at least she could not find them anywhere. It's been a few years since she washed ashore in The Shallows, and not a moment passes where she missed her island home, clean, majestic, and plentiful. It was a life with a lot of good food, happiness, and good people to share in the wealth of the island. Those were now a fleeting memory to her.

She usually goes around The Shallows, begging for money and food, she rarely steals. But begging today turned no hope for the girl, and there was nothing edible in the garbage pits she scavenged from. Starvation left her with no option but to steal a purse or two just to get something to eat for the day. It has been days since her last meal, and she could not take the hunger pains any longer. She was thankfully nimble and lightweight. She made no noise that could be heard amongst the throng of people passing through. The moment the red-haired teen (at least, she thought she was a teen) noticed and shouted, she mustered the strength she had left. Outrunning her was difficult, as her energy was waning. But, she knew the alleyways that she can hide for a bit, and head the other direction.

She snuck into an alley, becoming very small, and invisible to the public, which was easy as the people here seemed to treat her like dirt anyways. She looked around to see if she was still being chased, and it seems that she lost her. She pulled the sack that she hid in her tattered tunic, looking at the contents inside. She counted the coins as best as she could, having become more familiar with the currency of the land. it was silver and copper coins! Enough for a small bowl of stew or some stale bread. Looking once more if she was being followed, and then stood up, her feet dirty and cut from walking barefoot. The pain was no importance, having gotten used to that feeling for years now. She ran the other way out of the alley and into the streets, hoping that girl... woman was not still trying to find her.

It was everyone for themselves. And she scored big time for herself.

Maranae

• Cthuulove
Reactions: Maranae
If there hadn't been other people in the way, the thief would never have had a chance to keep ahead.

Fiery long hair flipping about in a tangled, haphazard mess behind her, Maranae belted along after the thief. Some part of her 'ancestry' - whether she wanted it or not - could scarcely resist giving chase to a fleeing shape to begin with. That same part of her was built to hunt. Her eyes locked in on the flicker of red-brown hair, the diminutive shape going in and out of sight as various people got in the way.

Many of them darted out of her way. Just as many stood their ground, anger evident. Maranae did not stop or apologize or excuse herself. She didn't even think of doing such things, anyway; all she thought about was what was hers and what had been taken and that she wanted it back.

What she would do if she actually caught the thief was a problem not yet considered. She could figure that part out when she did because there was no way that the one running could outpace her.

And then she outpaced her. One moment, there was a short thief scurrying along, and the next there was only the crowd.

Mara slowed and stopped, confusion on her face. Where did they go? It was too loud for her exceptional hearing to key in on anything. There were too many people and too many scents wafting through the air to pick out any individual one. She also did not have the thief's scent, anyway.

She stood among a sea of uncaring people, head cocked to one side as her head swiveled...

...and caught sight of an alley.

With an odd sound at the back of her throat, the redhead barged through the crowd and slipped into the shadowy space between buildings. Almost immediately, she found a short, ruddy haired youth standing with a sack...

Mara's mouth fell open in surprise, before snapping shut. An unfamiliar emotion swirled in the back of her head as she pointed a long nailed (was it clawed?) finger at the stranger. "Give it back! That is m-mine!" The words were sharp but delivered with a deliberate pace that made it clear speaking was not one of her strong suits.

• Nervous
She had thought she had lost the woman. She ran so fast and blended with the other low lives of the Shallows. She turned to an alley, around the area where she has been sleeping for the past couple of days, nothing but a fishing net for a bed. She expected to rest alright for now, but the woman caught up to her. She demanded, with a very sharp manner yet scary tone, her sack back. She walks back slowly, intimidated by the woman, her clawish finger pointed at her. She gets the idea to run off again, but her bare feet tripped on a sharp rock and she fell to the ground. Her foot, filthy from the mud, was bleeding from the rock, and she curled up in pain, still holding on to the sack of coins she had stolen. There was no other way for her to get out of here.

"I-I'm S-Sorry". Tears were running down her face, covered by the strands of her long and dirty reddish-brown hair. Her somewhat thick accent, losen by living here for a few years now, and her somewhat broken use of the language made it clear that she was not around here. "I hasn't eaten good in days. I wan' somethin' ta eat. P-Please don't hurt me".

Maranae

The sharp scent of fear filled the alleyway.

She stopped some distance away from the urchin, poised to dart forward with her own burst of speed if needed. "Coins not food," she said in reply to the statement, then cocked her head to one side as she remembered something else. Coins could be used to buy food,

It was almost a requirement in a city, unless one liked the flesh of thinking, talking creatures. Maranae did not.

"Go out of city, catch food," she said. The edge was gone from her voice. The words were slow and deliberate, as if each had to be thought of before stringing it with the last. Her teeth got in the way of forming some sounds, too, giving her words a thicker sound than they might otherwise have.

She extended her hand, palm up. "Mine. Give to me," she repeated. She made no threatening gesture, other than a look of discontent on her childish face.

• Nervous
catch food? Ivy tries to understand what she could mean... She means hunt!? She does not know if she can. She came from an island tribe of gatherers, so she can scavenge the streets for edible scraps, but going out and hunting, fighting animals and such is intimidating. She can barely catch fish in the rivers she made her home in. Besides, all she has ever known is the Shallows. She does not know what lies beyond.

"I-I don't knows the first thing about h-hunting out there" She explains, still clutching to the sack of coins. "I don't even haves a spear, and I can't catch any fishes anyways... and I never been outside of this place before. What if theres are monsters over there? It's scary".

Maranae

"Scarier than I am?" She grinned widely, displaying long incisors and canines. Her mouth looked like it belonged on a predator.

The veiled threat was clumsy and as transparent as glass. Maranae had no guile whatsoever. Unless this waif raised a hand to hurt her there was absolutely no chance of the chimera actually hurting her. She was still angry, though. Angry and not entirely sure what she could do about it.

"Make a stabber," she said slowly. "Learn how to make, to catch, to hunt? This city," she stumbled over the word, "is more scary than outside." Truth, too. At least animals were honest about their intentions for the most part. Humans could look you in the eye and smile while reaching round to stab you in the back.

Even as naive and slow as Maranae was, she understood that.

Ivy cowers at the sight of her teeth. She dared not try and fight her. To her frightened child mind, she is pretty scary, but she doesn't seem too intimidating, but that might be for show. Of course, when she tried to explain what she should do to hunt outside of the city, and how less dangerous it is than the Shallows, but her nativity was still scared of heat is beyond the only place she knows. Even on her island home, she never ventured far into the woods outside of her village.

"Can you... Can you... s-show me how?" She asks, still clutching to sack of coins.

Maranae

She held her hand out again. "Give. Then yes, she will ... I will show."

Maybe not hunting; it was far to the wild lands outside of the city. But she could certainly make something the youth could use to secure food. Or something, anyway. Maranae could not really think a great deal ahead. It was difficult to plan a few steps in front of her. She lacked the imagination, perhaps.

She knew what would be best. She perked up a little, a grin spreading across her face. "Take you back to shop. Make you a stabber." She paused. "But what is mine, back first."

Having put her guard down, her offer to show her how was offered. She had to really think about it. She was scared of what lay outside of the Shallows, but the woman seemed more scarier. And it was better to have a scary person on your side than against you. She picked herself up and handed the sack of coins back to her.

"O-Okay. T-Thank you". She stood there, not knowing what to say next. She didn't want to give her name if she wasn't going to. Would she even be a close friend for her?

Maranae

Maranae danced a little caper when the little purse was handed from the nameless urchin back to her. She didn't even look inside to see if it was all there; she couldn't count, anyway, so it would have been a pointless gesture. She offered Ivy a big, toothy smile that was much brighter and friendlier than anything on display so far.

"Come on," she exclaimed after thinking a moment. Her own stomach rumbled, her face crumpling with hunger she hadn't realized was there until just then. "We can go back to my master's place. And get something to eat on the way!"

She was imagining meat, dripping rich bloody. The city lacked any significant population of prey animals, so she had to settle for what the people in the city considered to be food. And so long as it wasn't green or cooked too much, Maranae did not care.

"Come, come, lets go!" It almost seemed as if the offense of having stolen from her in the first place had been entirely forgotten.