Private Tales Crossing Over

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Syuri

The Wanderer
Syuri's crystalline eyes followed the fae in silent scrutiny as he circled them. If she'd learned anything about fae it was that she didn't trust anything about them. Her gaze narrowed at his answer and her gut churned nervously at how uncertain it seemed. She had seen Keernan's magic several times now, it'd saved them both. It seemed a steep trade, but it wasn't her predicament to consider.

She looked to Keernan as the healer came to lead them away, and she reached to take his hand. "It's your choice.. But it seems, extreme." she frowned and tucked herself in close to him in attempt to lend some support. Mango was clawing her way out of her bag to peek over her shoulder and swat at fireflies.

Reactions: Keernan

Keernan

Elemental Shifter
Fae Courts
Character Biography
Link
They were led down towards the water's edge. Keernan reached out, scratching behind mango's ear. The cat at first found this a distraction to its hunting, but mango soon had his eyes closed and head tilted towards him.

"We can think about it," he said. Even though he was the one to be subjected to Rushel's experiments but she was tied to him and at risk from The Aralyssian too. He didn't know how far her reach extended, whether they could simply outrun her or were damned to have her perpetually on their heels.

"It does sound extreme," Keernan said. He grimaced in pain as he walked. It had felt like being torn apart when the Aralyssian had a hold of him. Not something he wanted to experience again.

The edge of the water harboured a thick patch of giant mushrooms. Some of the mushrooms tilted up to look at them. Beneath the brim of wide flat mushroom was a face. Under the surface was a relatively human body, smaller patches of mushrooms across patches of its skin.

"Who's hurt?" it croaked.

• shock
Reactions: Syuri

Syuri

The Wanderer
She couldn’t help but smirk at Mango’s purring by her ear, the sound reminding her that they were safe for the time being, and so she pulled in a deep breath and sighed. They were okay, he was okay. Perhaps she might even rest easy.

It does sound extreme.

Syuri shot him an uncertain glance and a tight-lipped smile, hoping they’d have some privacy to talk about it, but somehow she felt that there were eyes and ears everywhere hear. That thought was only confirmed as the mushroom spoke, sending a jolt through her and eliciting a short squeal quickly silenced by her hand slapping to her mouth.

She blinked down at the creature, feeling her skin heat under her palm. “Oh..” she muffled and sheepishly lowered her hand to her chest, pressing it against her racing heart. “I’m sorry I..”

Her throat cleared and she looked to Keernan. “He is.” she said, trying to offer an apologetic smile to the little thing and disguise her awkward curiosity.

Keernan

Elemental Shifter
Fae Courts
Character Biography
Link
"No need to be sorry," croaked the creature. There was a slightly femenine tone to its voice. At least there was by their standards, whether those applied or not was another matter. Its height and wrinkled features made it look like an old lady had stayed in one place for so long they had been overgrown by mushrooms.

"I did not mean to surprise you."

It lifted itself out of the water. It did have legs and it climbed up over the gentle bank and towards Keernan.

"Ah," it went, seeing the blood stains. "Lie down."

With surprising strength its two small hands tore a much larger opening to investigate.

"Animal bite? Anything poisonous?"

Syuri

The Wanderer
Syuri smiled curiously at the creature as she watched, and she settled herself down next to Keernan, idly stroking at Mango's ears as the feline poked her head over Syuri's shoulder to watch too.

"I'm not sure what they are.." Syuri answered with an uncertain glance to Keernan. "Some sort of hound.." her brow quirked, assuming the little fae would no doubt know more than they did about what they were.

Keernan

Elemental Shifter
Fae Courts
Character Biography
Link
"I recognise them, but I don't know their naaaaame..."

Keernan had some tolerance for pain, but his voice rose an octave and trailed off when the mushroom creature poked the wound with a long nail.

It licked the blood from its finger.

"Hmnph, not poisoned. And I know poisons."

Keernan wasn't in the mood to reply. He had gone more than a little pale.

"I have a paste that should clear this up quickly. I will need to pack the wounds. It will hurt. This is the worst of the damage?"

Syuri

The Wanderer
Syuri winced slightly at Keernan's pain, her hand reaching to offer a firm squeeze at his shoulder.

"I hope so.." she answered the creature's question, a lilt of a question in her tone as she looked to Keernan. As far as she knew he'd only been bitten the one time.

She'd been too busy looking around to have noticed Mango climbing out of her bag and sniffing around. The ginger cat approached the fae creature with hesitance and reached a paw to gently bat at it.

"What do you call this place?" she asked, looking over her shoulder to search through the glowing grasses, wondering where Rushel and the others he was with had disappeared to. "Rushel, said something about removing a spark.. Do you know how it's done?" she asked, her tone significantly lower as she turned back to regard the mushroom, thing. Noticing Mango she reached abruptly for the feline and pulled her into her chest with an awkward apology.

Keernan

Elemental Shifter
Fae Courts
Character Biography
Link
"Rushel? What is that young fool up to now?" croaked the walking, talking fungus. It shook its head and made a noise of irritation.

"Casnedath was much quieter when they weren't all following that lout around. I don't know what a spark is."

The creature pulled free a thick leaf that had been sat on the top of the water. The faint bioluminesence around the edge of the leaf remained. It started to mix a dried up flower.

"It's...another spirit. Inside me," Keernan said quietly. "He wants to..."

Keernan went very silent, very suddenly. The paste has been applied to the wound without warning. He didn't cry out, but went very still and pale.

"Not my area of expertise," the mushroom replied. "Is that food?" It asked, pointing at Mango.

Syuri

The Wanderer
Syuri couldn't help but smirk as it seemed her first impressions of Rushel were not misplaced. Her head tilted as she idly scratched at Mango's ears.

"Cas-nedath?" she repeated with the lilt of a question. "Is that what this place is called?" she asked. "Is he in charge?.." she added and cleared her throat as she realised how many question she was barraging the little fae with.

She looked back to her as she asked about food, her eyes widening in horror at what she was pointing at. "Food? No. She's my cat. A, uhm.. companion." she blinked and looked to Keernan, about to speak when she realised the ghastly colour his skin had gone.

"Are you alright?" she grimaced and looked down at his leg.

"That is, safe, right?..." she asked quietly, quirking a brow at the fae.

Keernan

Elemental Shifter
Fae Courts
Character Biography
Link
"Safe? Safe? It is safer by far than a hole in the leg," it replied, shaking its head. Droplets of river water rolled down the smooth, round surfaces of its mushroom layers.

"Hmm. He has gone a little pale." It turned its head from Keernan to Syrui, trying to figure out if he really had lost colour. It would have been difficult to tell a loss of colour from her alabaster skin.

"Oi," it said, poking Keernan's shin, "are you in pain."

Keernan nodded through a grimace. "I will...be fine."

"See? He's fine," it said, with concern. "Casnedath is probably as far as you can see in either direction up and down the vale. And my name is Torlak and you are very welcome."

Syuri

The Wanderer
Syuri winced slightly as it seemed she'd offended the creature in some way and she resorted to biting on her lip rather than asking any more questions.

She cleared her throat and offered a tight-lipped smile to Torlak, giving a light nod as she claimed that Keernan was 'fine'. He certainly didn't look fine.

"We should go get some rest."

"Thank you, Torlak." she nodded, and rummaged in her pack, pulling out some wrapped up sweetbreads and offering it to the creature. She had no idea what they ate, but the last thing she wanted was to be in debt to a fae.

Keernan

Elemental Shifter
Fae Courts
Character Biography
Link
Torlak did not have eyebrows. If they did then they would have been raised in curiosity at the offering. No complaint was given so it seemed there was a chance it was going to be eaten.

Keernan took a long, slow breath. The fire around the wound wanted to spread its flames further up his leg. Trying to put it from his mind he slowly stood up. Moving didn't aggravate it very much.

One of Rushel's hunters was still lingering. He casually approached when Syuri suggested rest. He was taller than Rushel by a head. His shoulders seemed oddly proportioned to his waist. He didn't move like the Arallysian, smooth and fluid, but with an awkward, loping gait.

"Come, you can get some sleep," he said, leading them directly towards the sloped cliff of one side of the vale.

"It does hurt," Keernan admittedly quietly. "But in a good way. Like it's healing. I hope."

The rocks were not plain. Vines of deep purple stretched across the face in a tight weave, even over places where straight staircases had been hewn into the stone. In loose rows great leaves reached out from the wall. They let off a deep red bioluminescent from the ridges that gave them strength. It took Keernan a long study to realise they were using these leaves like beds.

He could see fae climbing up the stairs and edging along and dropping into them. Keernan wasn't even sure if they were leaves or flowers.

• Cthuloo

Syuri

The Wanderer
Syuri tucked a disgruntled Mango back into her bag and slung it over her shoulder, the ginger cat's head poking out to stare around at the curiosities. Everything was different here. Plants and birds and trees she'd never seen before. Creatures she'd never known existed at all watched them from here and there as though they were the strange ones.

"I hope so too.." Syuri murmured quietly, sticking close to Keernan as they followed behind the hunter. She was finding it extremely difficult to allow herself to trust that they were safe here but she tried to hide her uncertainty under a shy smile. If they were going to murder them in their sleep, they wouldn't have bothered helping Keernan at all...

She stopped to watch as fae dropped into the large leafy hammocks which seemed to cocoon around them, and she glanced to Keernan with a light smirk. "Beats a forest floor.." she shrugged. The hunter lead them down the stairs and along a ridge to where their strange leaves waited, and Syuri felt instantly tired as she breathed in the soothing aroma that seemed to surround the plants. She squeezed at Keernan's hand, hugged her pack to her chest and let herself fall into the cradle.

Keernan

Elemental Shifter
Fae Courts
Character Biography
Link
Keernan had to devote a lot of his attention to pushing the pain down and following their guide. That spark of curiosity still burned bright.

As Syuri fell back into the supporting plant he grinned. It lasted for a just a few moments before his face twisted into a grimace. A few slow breaths and the worst of the pain ebbed away. One last step to go.

Even seeing Syuri on the naturally grown platform he felt a flutter of nerves. They were high enough that if it broke away it would be a painful tumble. Keernan stepped out after her.

"It's like a hammock," he declared as he settled down. The faint pulse of bioluminescent light surrounded them. Up above no stars had made their home in the sky. There were only the bright and bold moons.

• Sip