Private Tales Coinciding Paths

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
As she walked away from the camp she couldn't help but notice the warmth that was spreading from the pit of her stomach. Anverth, despite all that had happened, had kept his cheery disposition and it never ceased to amaze her. Not only that, but she was beginning to find the use of his chosen nickname for her somewhat different than normal, the sound of the endearing term making her chest tighten in a way that was the opposite of unpleasant. It brought a smile to her features, the female forcing herself to concentrate once more on the task at hand. She was quickly losing daylight and intended to be back far before the halfling even got the chance to miss her as he had so aptly teased.

******​

The sun was just disappearing from the horizon when she returned, Valerie reminding herself to walk straighter and hide the slight limp she had. Her hunt had been fruitful, the female toting along two hares which were strung over her shoulders, but they had come at the cost of a small tumble while she chased them. The fall had been enough to remind her of her injuries which hindered her, but not enough to worsen them. However, she still did not wish for Anverth to worry. They needed to eat and gathering berries or other plants before sundown would have been too time-consuming.

Sauntering back into camp she proudly held up her catches, casting the dead animals to the ground before she too sat to skin them and mount them onto sticks. The fire was already roaring as he had promised and the thought of a decent meal made Valerie's stomach rumble. The last 'wholesome' meal they had eaten was the bear cakes.

Placing the rabbits on a spit to turn them easily she spoke up, asking quietly, "Where do you get your inspiration from for your songs? I will say that you surpass even a few elvish songstresses that I have seen in my time. What other elvish song do you know other than that of the tavern owner?"

It was nice to sit and relax. The scene of a warm fire and Anverth's company seemed like bliss compared to the previous night of waiting tables and being surprised by the elven men. Valerie leaned back against a nearby root, cleaning dirt from her nails with her dagger blade as she awaited his answer.

Anverth sat crouched over the fire, vest hanging open to let in the warmth. It hadn't been terribly long since Valerie had left for her hunt, but he already felt a grim sensation tingling his skin. It felt like a heavy blanket, weighing his shoulders and smothering even the burning light of the fire. His gaze was steady and contemplative as Valerie sauntered back into camp, hiding her limp well enough that he hardly remembered her injuries at all. A bright grin spread over the halfling's face as she made her entrance, and he only dimly noticed the pair of rabbits hanging over her shoulder. His voice took on an air of mock petulance as she took her seat by the fire, and he fixed her with a half pout. "You said it'd only be a short while before you came back, but I counted at least a few minutes."

The musician edged closer to the elf, dragging his violin case along behind him. Even as close to the fire as they were, proximity brought a pleasant warmth to Anverth's chest that put the flame's heat to shame. Valerie skewered the rabbits expertly and propped them up on a makeshift spit, finally leaning back and relaxing only to ask the young halfling a rather difficult question.

He thought for a few moments, looking between the fire and his fiddle. "Well, I suppose it depends. Wanderlust tends to fuel the more upbeat songs-- Especially the chronicles and epics concerning grand adventures. As for sadder tunes and poems, well... I think everyone has some grim memories. I tend to think about my father, wondering where he is, if he's still walking the world..." The halfling trailed off, realizing he might have said more than Valerie had bargained for. In short time, though, he continued his answer with renewed enthusiasm. "As for the more romantic ballads, I, ah..."

Anverth trailed off once again, looking to where the elf leaned back, close to his side. The firelight flickered over her face, highlighting her beauty while pushing her sharper features into shadow. She cleaned her nails absently with her dagger, reclined with all the poise and grace of a snake ready to strike at a moment's notice. She was, put briefly, fiercely gorgeous.

The halfling realized he'd been staring without ever really finishing his thought, cleared his throat with two coughs, and turned back to face his front. "I find my inspiration for love songs where I can," he concluded with finality, nodding once to say that particular answer was finished. "As for what other songs in the elvish tongue I know, well, there are only a few I'm well practiced in." He began to count what songs came to mind on the fingers of a single hand, listing titles and descriptions of three classic pieces and a few more comedic ditties. "My personal favorite has to be 'The Tragedy of Sir Sal'eh', though. It's a terribly complicated piece, I'll admit that much, but it tells a good story-- Rings true to the Thread of Mortality, and the tragic price of living free. Perhaps a touch too sappy, but there's a reason it's stood the test of time."

• Yay
Reactions: MJK
He answered her question after some thinking, giving her different motivations for different genres of songs. However, Valerie couldn't help but pay special attention when he got to the portion about his father. She had a comment on that, but chose to wait until after he finished rather than interrupting him.

The she-elf watched him carefully as he spoke though, just as interested in how he was saying what he did as well as what. She noticed his slight pause when moving on to the romantic songs, the vague but noticeable he glance he gave her over his shoulder making her stomach twist. Valerie did not know when he had gained the power to make her insides knot with a simple glance, but it was a development she felt slightly nerved by. I need to control my emotions- before they get the better of me.

The strange epiphany made her lose focus for a second, the dagger slipping in a little deeper than she had intended into her nail bed. Hissing slightly she withdrew the blade, inspecting the most minuscule droplet of blood that pooled to the cut's surface. Convinced after a few breaths of waiting that that was all the blood that would be drawn she sucked it clean, then continued on with cleaning her nails while responding.

"I take it your father was absent then? I feel for your sense of loss...however, I could almost say I envy you. I'd rather a non-existant male authoritative figure in my life than one who sees no issue in trading me off like common livestock." Her words had taken a serious tone, one which she did not wish to delve into much deeper. For this reason, she made a distinct effort to lighten up as she switched over to another, easier question to ask.

"Could you sing the Tragedy of Sir Sal'eh', I don't think I'm quite familiar with that one. It might give you a chance to practice your pronounciation as well...also, I feel that I owe you any answers about my own life after the trouble of last night, so ask away." She nudged at his close-by side teasingly, leaning forward to turn the rabbits with a stick.

Amidst his talking, the halfling hardly noticed Valerie's quiet wincing breath. His back was turned to her, reclined as she was, and it was likely for the best he didn't get worked up into a smotheringly caring frenzy over such a little injury. When she spoke up again, though, Anverth couldn't help but look back at her once again, that same charming smile adorning his features. There was some quality to her voice that he couldn't quite place, yet every time she spoke he found himself wanting to listen to her for days.

She delved into her relationship with her father, garnering the musician's fullest attention. The world around him seemed dulled, as if someone had thrown a blanket to smother their modest campfire, yet Valerie still shone as brightly as ever. His heart went out to her, in truth; While he'd barely known his father, he imagined it was worse to have a negative relationship with one's parent rather than none at all. A thought came to mind, growing into a comment of some decent wit-- He filed it away for later, knowing full well that a better time to crack-wise would soon present itself.

Anverth donned a surprised look as Valerie requested a song from him-- No, no, not any song, but perhaps one of the more complicated pieces he knew. Nevertheless, he nodded to her, wiping away his shock with a put-on expression of self assuredness. The young halfling flinched slightly at her teasing nudge, more so at affectionate nerves than true surprise. A faint redness covered his cheekbones, though perhaps it was just the firelight.

"You don't owe me anything, culver-- You've given plenty, and I'm sure you'll give more in time." The musician fiddled with his instrument case as he spoke, drawing it open and briefly admiring his violin's craftsmanship as its delicate engravings were shadowed by the nearby flame. As he withdrew the instrument from its resting place and raised it to his shoulder, he was suddenly struck by a rather embarrassing question. He glanced up at Valerie, a sheepish smile accompanying his still present blush. "I, ah... I was actually wondering, you don't have anyone you're sweet on back home, do you?"

• Yay
Anverth shrugged off any thought of asking her too many questions about her own mysterious background, somewhat content for her to just open up rather than probe away. It was rather refreshing in the female's eyes. Back at court, every other person was seeking how best to delve into everyone else's business...constantly. It made for quick and airy gossip which would seem dramatic at the time but which also had the tendency to be as fleeting as a summer rain.

Much to her enjoyment the halfling produced his instrument, giving it a loving glance as she watched him carefully. It was an activity she had grown accustomed to and looked forward to doing - watching him go about everyday activity, just to gauge his reaction and then compare it to how different it was to the elven nobles back at her 'home.' I don't really feel at home there anymore. Being out here in the wild...in his company...has felt more like home than that roofed building and elvish court ever did.

The man raised his violin to his shoulder, preparing to play by tucking it under his chin and readying the bow. Before he strung out a single note though he asked after a detail of her life after all. The question did not faze the female one bit, who shrugged as if he had asked about the weather or some other mediocre topic. "Suitors came and went. It is a common feature of the court. Men...and even women...of similar age tend to have ephemeral relationships purely depending on who can gain them more of what they want at any single time. I was not prone to such vapid and short-lived connections - despite some people's best efforts at convincing me otherwise."

Cleaning her dagger using water from her waterskin and clean cloak she tore off a piece of the rabbit, inspecting it before tossing the small piece into the fire. "It's just about done. We can eat once the song is finished."

She focused solely on Anverth as he sang his tune, humming along to the repeated chorus once she got the gist of it's melody. It was as he had said, somewhat sappy but still rather enjoyable for her. Valerie's own voice was not as hearty as his, but rather on the sweeter, softer side. Any input into the song she added was only just audible, more added as a sub-conscious thought while she idly kept moving the cooking rabbit above the fire.

Anverth listened intently as Valerie answered his inquiry, lowering his violin halfway into a resting position as she went on. Given her keen senses, she may have noticed the slightest droop of relaxation to his shoulders when she claimed that short lived romance wasn't much her speed. "Well, I'm glad for this insight into your past, Val," The musician said, straightening out his posture and choosing his words carefully- In actuality, though, he was trying not to sound too excited.

The fiddle rose to Anverth's shoulder once more, and he drew his bow along its strings to make certain everything was in tune. Creasing his face with worry, he twisted the nobs at the instrument's head, adding a faint creaking worth of tension to the strings. One more test of tune, and he was ready to play.

The song was, in a word, complicated. The violin played out the driving melody of the piece, whereas Anverth's verses ran a syncopated harmony, sweeping around the slow and steady thrumming of the violin like a bird looping the branches of a tall, stubborn oak. The chorus, luckily, was much easier to sing along to, and after the first two passes between verses, Valerie could get a good enough read on it to sing and hum along however she wished. There was a faint trace of redness on Anverth's face during the choruses in which the elf decided to sing along, likely due to physical exertion. After all, it would make little sense for him to blush from the simple sound of her sweet, soft singing voice...

While his pronunciation could still use some definite work, the halfling played the song as well as one might expect. He didn't soar above and beyond, but he missed very few notes-- A hard task to pull off, given the contradictory parts he had to play. In the end, it turns out that the titular Tragedy of Sir Sal'eh' was a tale as old as time; A man feel deeply, irrepressibly in love with a woman. After only a decade of courting- an unbelievably short time among older Elvish traditions -they were to be wed. She died upon the night they were to be wed, though, and Sir Sal'eh' couldn't help but weep. His tears restored her to life, but as with all arcane acts, the price he paid was most dire- A life for a life. The woman lived the rest of her days alone, a widow never wed.

Anverth finished the song without a flourish, drawing the violin away from his shoulder. He held it there for a moment, feeling its weight, the way the grain of the wood felt against his hand... After a few moments, though, he placed the instrument back into its case and laid his bow beside it, clicking the container shut. He turned to Valerie with a wide grin, eyebrow cocked in question. "How did I do, Culver? Any improvement to my enunciation?"

The effort that needed to be put into the song surprised even her, Valerie completely unwilling to even try and sing along to any verse other than the chorus. The lyrics were somber and depressing to say the least, but it fit well with the hardships they had faced for the last few days. However, once the song was finished, Valerie found herself almost wishing she could hear the tune once more...more for the repeated sound of Anverth's singing rather than because the song had been enjoyable.

He asked after the impression he had given her, Valerie pulling away from her leaned position against the root to inspect the rabbit as she responded. "I definitely think you spoke better than that first night I heard you. I could always speak to you directly in Elvish rather than Common, if you wanted to improve quicker. In exchange, maybe you could teach me how to play the violin." Her words were said only partially in jest, the female pulling the rabbit off from the sticks and onto pieces of open-laid leather so that they would not touch the dirt.

The steaming meat sent curls of fragrance-filled smoke up towards them, pulling a loud rumble from Valerie who lay her hand on her middle as if to silence it. "Food is ready. Be careful, it's hot." Using her dagger she tore off pieces of meat, handling the hot threads with tender fingers as she moved the meat between her hands so as to not burn her skin. She offered the dagger to Anverth to use as well, blowing on the quickly made meal before carefully placing it into her mouth. "That's good. Definitely better than scrounging around for a meager collection of berries. Is it alright for you?" Her brow raised as she looked over at the halfling, juggling the next piece of meat between her hands too cool it off.

While eating she asked another question, waiting to swallow before speaking. "Do you cook a lot? If so, what is your favourite meal per say...even if you don't cook it yourself."

Valerie's praise rang out over their small glade. The mare and mule didn't seem to mind, given that they were preoccupied with grazing after a long day's ride, yet the elf's compliment to something so mundane as his pronunciation felt warm and amazing to Anverth. A grin quickly spread over his face as he pondered her offer-- While speaking Elvish would undoubtedly help him to get its intricacies down, he'd spent much of his life speaking only the common tongue. Nevertheless, he found himself nodding. "Alright, I can show you the basics of my trade, but my type of music is hardly fitting for halls any grander than that damned inn we served in last night." He gave Valerie a teasing eyebrow wiggle, nodding his head off to one side. "Though I should warn you, I doubt I'll be half as charming in my second tongue."

The halfling spoke as Valerie went about taking the rabbits from their place over the fire, but his tongue got too tied up to continue talking once the scent of cooked meat found his nose. His stomach gave an empathetic growl to Val's, and he turned a sheepish smile her way. She held her dagger out in his direction, and Anverth took it as carefully as he could. Cutting away a small chunk of rabbit was a shaky process for him, in part due to the hunger he only recently became aware of and the bruises that still lingered and ached around his body. Once a chunk was separated from their meal's main mass, he plucked it up between two fingers, gave it a good long blow, and popped it into his mouth.

It was hot. Quite hot.

Perhaps Anverth should have heeded his friend's warning a bit more cautiously, but the only course of action he had was to chew quick and swallow quicker. Once the uncomfortably warm mass of foodstuff was in his stomach, he let out a long sigh of relief. "Okay, food's very hot, indeed." He passed the knife back to Valerie as he spoke, reddening out of embarrassment alone. "But, yes, it's very good for me. Let's not forget to pick up some spice or something next time we're in town, though."

The pair continued eating in a contented silence, chewing over their unseasoned meal. "We'll need to get some salt, at least," Anverth noted to himself, but his ears perked up at Valerie's questioning. He turned to her, chewing his lip in thoughts. "Well, I'm not a culinary expert by any stretch of the imagination, but there are a few recipes I know of. As for my favorite food, though... Hm. I don't know, really. I mean, bear-cakes seems like an unfair answer, but to be honest, I think I'd eat just about anything." He smiled a broad grin, then, a small bit of pride welling up in his halfling-half. Food was his people's specialty, after all.

Valerie was content with this: sharing a meal with the male in front of a fire out in the wilderness. She had been to (albeit at her fathers wishes) many a gathering in her time. This setting was simplistic to put it nicely compared to the flamboyance of some of those gatherings, yet she knew she would happily choose something like this for the rest of her days if it meant never seeing Calamis again. Even if the threat of becoming a bride wasn't hanging over her head, she would still prefer this.

The meat was beginning to cool to a point now where she no longer had to peck at it with careful bites, the elf wolfing down a quantity which may have seemed impossible for her. Listening to Anverth's response she chuckled, throwing a glance over at the steeds to make sure they were alright before she spoke.

"I have a few favourites. Most of them are sweet - I do think I would eat deserts with every meal if it were possible." She added a few more logs to the fire, then leaned back against the root to get comfortable. Now that her belly was full and the night was almost upon them, exhaustion was catching up quickly. The previous night had not exactly boded well for any sort of proper rest. The elf shuffled around, suddenly stopping as she gave a sidelong glance at Anverth. Without asking first she slowly lowered her head to his shoulder, more content to have the softness of his vest beneath her cheek than the hard root at her back. That's what she said to herself, at least. It couldn't have anything to do with the reduced proximity between them - right?

"Speaking of sweet things...did you have anyone you were sweet on back home? There must have been some lucky girl who inspired all the songs you've written." Her eyes were already fluttering tiredly, blinking with a slow-paced action. Pinching the fabric between her thumb and forefinger she pulled the side of her cloak around her, creating a cocoon of fabric to ward off any of the cold.

As their meal began to cool more and more, Anverth was quick to tuck into it. He was used to more than three meals a day back home, and it was starting to show as he wolfed down an entire rabbit all on his own. His half was finished a while before Valerie's was, yet the halfling had enough self control to avoid scarfing any of her portion.

Valerie gave a curious answer to her own question-- At least, it was curious to Anverth. He cocked an eyebrow, giving the elf a quick up-down look, as if trying to figure out where exactly the sweets she loved so dearly went. Perhaps that was just another mystery that the world wasn't ready to know... The musician was so caught up in his musings that he didn't realize his friend was leaning in until her cheek was already on his shoulder, earning her a brief look of confusion on the young man's part. Realizing that it was simply a reprise of last night's positioning, he was quick to wrap an arm around the small of her back, resting his hand on her waist and pulling himself towards her. It was a nice thing, being close. Their proximity brought a warmth to his chest that was quite unlike the heat of the fire only a few feet away, instead making his heart flutter to a staccato rhythm he couldn't quite place.

Her question caught him further off guard, bringing a reddish tint to his cheeks; Anverth was silently thankful that she couldn't see him blushing from her comfortable position. "Uhm, well... Believe it or not, I was a bit too peculiar to exactly win many hearts back in High-Hill. Didn't write too many love songs, either-- Mostly put old stories and legends to melodies, really." The halfling's smile was sheepish, true, and entirely too adorable for his own good. He decided not to mention that the muse for a romantic ballad or two had recently entered his life, knowing full well that she'd have no interest in such a 'vapid, short-lived connection'.

"You? Peculiar? I can hardly believe that..." Valerie said teasingly, chuckling under her breath. In actuality, she was thankful for his response. Despite her not knowing the reasoning behind her feelings, the fact that he did not have a girl back home who was waiting for him to return made her quite relieved. "If it makes you feel any better, I was thought of as peculiar as well. Not nearly polished or aloof enough for most of the court's liking. I used to stick out like a sore thumb at gatherings. I always had a hair out of place or clothing that wasn't extravagant enough compared to the other girls." Sharing this made her feel strange, as if she had unlocked a box that couldn't be shut again. It wasn't as if she had ever had anyone she could share such a secret with.

Valerie slowly nodded off, thankful for the strength of Anverth's arm which had snaked around behind her and kept her propped up. It made it easier to fall asleep, since she didn't have to concentrate on keeping herself up straight and instead could lean fully on the halfling. Ever so gently, she slipped into a deeper sleep, the female sliding forward until her head rested against his chest and her hair fell over her features like a bridal veil. So too did her cloak slip free, exposing the silver glint of the pendant chain hanging around her neck. It glinted in the firelight, making the metal appear to be gold-hued with the orange-yellow glow of the flames.

The she-elf's dreams were anything but peaceful, the female's mind running amok with nightmarish visions. She stood in a dark corridor, with barely enough light to see but a few meters in front of her. She recognized the mosaic floor belonging to the court building back in her elvish settlement, but the walls were bare of the lavish decorations usually present on them. Her heart was racing, the girl somehow knowing that she was in danger and that she needed to run and hide. Sprinting forward she found a fork in the passageway she was in, Valerie running down it. Her legs felt heavy and for every four running steps she took it looked as if she only moved a meter ahead. She heard a cackling laugh behind her, not needing to turn around to know whatever was chasing her was catching up. Pushing herself to sprint faster seemed to only make her slower, Val turning her head to see Calamis sprinting just behind her. His smile was wide and caricatured, taking up half his face in a way that was unnatural and terrifying. "I'm coming for you Valerie!" He shouted down to her, his voice seeming as if it came from all around her. He was gaining on her in a matter of seconds, Valerie gasping awake just as his dream-hands clasped around her waist in an icy grip.

Valerie sat up straight, perspiration dotting her forehead as she looked around wildly. Her wide eyes saw nothing of the man she had dreamed of, her ragged breath calming somewhat at the realization that Calamis was actually not around. It was just a dream....just a dream....

The young half-breed felt his face heat up with redness at Valerie's teasing tone, though he wasn't quite sure why. He could take any insult in stride, and he'd taunted Magnus in spite of the dagger at his throat. Yet it was the pretty elf saying that she didn't find him all too strange that made him blush so promptly. She went on to sell herself far, far too short in his eyes, inspiring the faintest bit of anger in the musician's chest at 'the court's' undercutting. Anverth swept a hand forwards, gently sweeping a misplaced lock of hair off of Valerie's face and placing it back behind her ear. "Well, I think you're plenty un-peculiar. Not average by any stretch, but not strange, either-- out-of-place hairs, plain clothing, and all."

The runaway was quick to doze off on Anverth's shoulder, inspiring him to hum out in quiet contentment. Once he was sure that she was well and truly asleep, his free arm snaked around her waist and pulled her closer to his side in a pleasant hug. Her weight was a pleasant one as she drifted deeper and deeper into wakelessness, snoozing along elegantly despite her dream's dangerous content. The young musician was equally quick to join his muse in slumber, resting his cheek against her head as he dreamed.

His rest was visited upon by visions of color and sound, a cacophonous mass of flashing lights and common commotion. Anverth found himself wandering this dreamscape, admiring the odd quality of it all before coming across a conductor's podium. He ascended its single step, taking up the baton he found on the podium's flat surface and tapping it twice to gain the attentions of his phantasmal orchestra. At once, the colors dimmed to nothing and the sounds ceased. As he reared back his baton, the world seemed to tense with potential; He brought the implement swinging downward, and the light flashed back in dazzling, prismatic shades. A magnum opus began to roar from the vast void, filling the world with perfect harmony and--

And then he shot awake, feeling Valerie sit upright in his arms. Her frantic search for Calamis was met by a dissatisfied groan on Anverth's part as he wrenched himself upright, arms still wrapped intimately around Val's waist. "S'it morning already?" His query was made on the tired tongue of sleepiness, and he blinked the bleariness from his eyes.

• Yay
Breathing heavily, chest rising and falling as she scanned the thick darkness, Valerie did not at first hear Anverth's waking comments. Coming up with nothing visually that Calamis found their location, Valerie instead turned to her attuned sense of hearing. The forest around them gave up nothing but insects buzzing, leaves rustling with the wind and the far off prancing of a deer over brush. Only when she strained for signs of them being watched but came up with nothing did she relax, letting out a hefty sigh as she melted back towards where Anverth was sitting upright.

Recollecting that he had spoken to her, she mumbled out a response. It was the middle of the night after all and she had senselessly woken him up with her nightmares. "It's not morning. I...I just thought I heard something. It was just a dream though, sorry to have woken you. It would be best to go back to sleep." She tried to coerce him into returning to his much-needed rest, the female noticing then the arm still snaked around her waist. It was a comfort if she was honest with herself, an anchor in the midst of her still realizing that her nightmare was not reality.

She lay back down, guiding him along as well. Luckily the fire still had glowing embers, enough to provide warmth albeit at a much less fiery level than when it had been roaring with flames earlier. Wrapping her cloak around her she closed her eyes, although in no way managed to fall into a deep enough sleep.

The next morning came with a pale yellow sun rays fighting their way through the tree canopies to reach the pair's sleeping figures. Valerie woke with a slight stir, remaining mindful of Anverth possibly still sleeping as she rose from slumber. Careful unwinding his arm from around her she stood, unclipping her cloak. The sight of the purple bruise still apparent on his face did not take away from the peaceful expression the halfling wore as he slept, the sight making the huntress smile softly. It seemed a pity to wake him, but she knew they needed to travel if they were going to make it to their destination before the midday sun reached the peak of it's heat.

Kneeling down she placed a hand on his arm, squeezing slightly before whispering. "Anverth...it's morning now...we need to get going..."

Blinking slowly, one eye closing just a hair before the other, the young musician was nearly half asleep as Valerie continued to search their surroundings for any sign of hidden observers. Anverth mumbled softly before noticing the elf's intent focus and silencing his muttering straight away. Slowly, she seemed to calm, turning her attention back to the young man lingering on at her side. With his half asleep mind contented by her explanation, the halfling was quick to recline in turn, pulling himself in once again. "Awlright, alright... Goodnight, Val."

Anverth, nearly exhausted by their past days' adventures, dozed off without too much of a hassle, leaving Valerie alone with little more than his light snoring for company. Despite his wishes, his dream sadly did not return.

~=*=~​

A gentle hand squeezed at the halfling's arm, stirring him from slumber once more. Gladly, sunlight baked the surroundings to pale, lovely shades of yellow. Anverth sat upright, gently rubbing the sleep from his eyes with a pair of balled fists. "Oh, uh--... Yeah, of course. Morning." Restful times always seem to end too soon for the young man's liking, especially on the road. If there was one complaint he had about the life of freedom such wandering brought, it would undoubtedly be the inconsistent sleeping schedule.

Wrenching himself up onto his feet, the musician gave his back a stretch. When his eyes opened once more, he gave Valerie two blinks of surprise. Not only was he continually surprised she wasn't some dream, but she seemed even more exhausted than him. It was as though she'd missed a few hours of rest, though as to how, he could only guess. "Ah, friend. Glad to see you're already looking lively this morning." Another charming smile slid easily over the halfling's face before he went about collecting his things. A fiddle case here, his pack there - All in all, not a terrible morning for picking up camp. He'd hardly used any of his personal belongings the night before, save for his violin of course. "Anything else we're forgetting, Culver?" Another smile, this one paired with the half-cocked brow of a question posed.

• Yay
He greeted her, commenting on her lively demeanor. It seemed wrong to Valerie when she reflected on her restless, post-nightmare slumber. However, she would could hardly let a few lost hours of sleep force a sour mood on what was promising to be a good morning. For this reason she responded back with a laugh, kneeling into the dirt to pack up her bed roll. "I feel as sprightly as a newborn deer, ready to head towards the coast so we can restock some goods. Not like we had much time to do so in Vel Anir."

They continued on, taking little time to gather up their belongings. Valerie was reloading her horse when Anverth posed his question, prompting her to give a long gaze at the clearing. It appeared as if they had never been here at all, save for the specks of ash peaking out from the buried dead fire. The sight satisfied her, considered that if Calamis were to stumble through here it would take a well-trained eye to spot that there had been any recent occupants of the area. "I think we're all good to go, if you're ready." She swung herself onto her steed, waiting for him to take up a similar position before heading off.

******************************************************************************************
True to her guess, the pair approached a moderately-sized, seaside town before midday. The clay roofs (which sat like wide-brimmed hats on most of the buildings) contrasted starkly with the blue of the ocean in the distance and wide stone streets meandered their way like streams between the structures. The settlement was quite different to the might and imposing nature of Vel Anir, much more relaxed in it's presentation and less structured in it's layout. The most bustling part of the town appeared to be the harbour, nestled into the far right of the bay where ships of various size were slotted between piers and docks. The sight calmed the elf, who had been eager to get off her horse after doing nothing but riding for a day and a half.

"We can hand our steeds in to a stable on the perimeter and then find somewhere to restock and gather more supplies." Valerie's voice was light-hearted and relieved, the female sitting up a little straighter in her saddle as she strained to try and see more of the village spreading out before them. Before long she would not be able to, since the road was beginning to slope downward towards the coastal basin and the advantage of increased height above sea level would be gone.

Anverth looked out across the seaside town upon their approach, smiling a little smirk to himself at the building's squat, wide roofs. Something about the homes these people had made for themselves reminded him vaguely of High-Hill, and the halfling realized rather suddenly that he hadn't given his hometown a single thought in what felt like ages. Granted, his adventures with Valerie had taken up much of his attention, yet a small tug of nostalgia Anverth didn't know he had pulled at his heartstrings. The path swallowed the pair of mounted wanderers into the city itself, surrounding them with the subdued hustle such a mid-sized settlement would fill itself with.

At Valerie's suggestion, the young musician stood shakily upon his stirrup and glanced about for a stable. Sure enough, one such establishment made its presence clear with a sign on the street side depicting a horseshoe and saddle. "I do believe that's a stable house up ahead, Val." Anverth pointed dead ahead, settling himself back down onto his mule and giving the stubborn creature a gentle pair of pats on its neck. "Good job spotting that, friend."

The mule gave little more than a harsh bray in response to its rider's teasing, and continued along the well-paved pathway.

A few minutes and a pair of copper pieces later, Anverth had negotiated a more than fair stabling fee for the night, and the pair of young friends had the rest of the afternoon all to themselves. The young musician gave Valeries a grin as they emerged once more onto the thoroughfare, presumptuously tucking his arm through her own and bringing his stride in line with hers. "So, where to now, Culver? What say we find someplace to spend the night, maybe sit down in a comfy chair, sleep in an actual bed...? Doesn't sound half bad to me."

(sorry for the long wait)

They exited the stable, having secured a night's care for their two steeds. Anverth's suggestion of finding some comfort was all too enticing, Valerie closing her eyes and sighing at the mere thought of a bed. Lightly laying her hand on top of his she nodded in agreement, her head jerking forward in a repeated bowing motion.

"Comfy anything would be a dream come true, Anverth. I'm willing to part with an extra copper or two if it means we get to sleep on an actual mattress rather than a stretcher, bed roll or the ground."

The pair continued on, walking the streets while others went about their own business. Valerie kept her eyes open, looking for any indication of an inn. Upon turning a corned the view changed, the streetside on their right dropping off to ocean water lapping away at the stonework. The sound was soothing and rhythmic, allowing Valerie to ease more into a less cautious state. Her dream from the night before had been all but forgotten and the screams of ocean gulls overhead along with the melodic tone of Anverth's voice in her ear made it easy to pretend that they were in complete safety. A sign waving in the ocean breeze caught her attention, a wooden engraving of what she had been seeking making the she-elf perk up in posture.

"I think we've found what we're looking for. With any luck, we might get an ocean view."

Stepping inside, the faint smell of salt permeated every breath the girl took. A short talk with the inn owner and an exchange of coins was all that was needed to secure what they longed for. Within minutes, Valerie and Anverth were led to an ocean-facing room, the only one left in the establishment. They were hushed inside and wished a good stay, Valerie opening the door and sighing with relief at the sight of a quaint but well-furnished room. The room was well-lit, warm thanks to a small and soot-coated fireplace and clean. Sighting the thick mattress nearly made Valerie leap from the threshold - but the mattress only sat on a single bed. Blushing faintly some of her excitement dwindled. Sure, her and Anverth had slept in the same company for some nights now, but - the single bed was a new development.

However, the room was still perfect. It was also the only one left and Valerie hardly had the energy to go trekking back through the town to look for somewhere else to stay. Especially after her poor sleep the night before. With Anverth being injured...and also only half-elf....she doubted he would want to journey on to look for somewhere else either. Thus, she decided to play it cool. If I don't make an issue of it, then there will be no issue to talk about or get awkward over...she mused to herself. The girl simply strode into the room calmly, placing her things down against the wall before walking over to the window. The view was spectacular, the increased height offered by them being on the first floor allowing over the busy streets to where the ocean spread like a blue blanket towards the horizon.

(No worries!)

Anverth couldn't help but grin, taking in a breath of salty air as a breeze rolled in from the sea. "I'd spend a silver if it meant sleeping on something stuffed. I've missed my old bed, even if I had to replace the hay every week or so-- Oh, do you reckon we can find some feather-stuffed mattresses for the night? I once bought a down pillow off a travelling merchant, and, wow, that was something else."

The young musician continued to talk on as the pair walked on, running his thumb across Valerie's hand to a beat only he could hear. His gait stumbled for a moment when their path brought them near the ocean, though. He stopped for a few moments, looking out across the horizon. Here and there, fishing vessels were lazily drifting on the water, likely crewed by the local townies and villagers. Before long, the pair of one-and-a-half elves continued on their way, lead by Valerie's superior vision to a seaside inn.

When the elven maiden led them into their room, Anverth couldn't help but smile. The inn was cozy and warm, a harsh contrast to the past two nights spent sleeping in an Anirian alley and the woods respectively. Of course, he hadn't much minded sleeping by the fireside with Valerie warming up next to him, but his eyes still fell bluntly onto their room's single bed. If he'd known they had to share, perhaps he could have negotiated a fairer price-- Granted, their price point was the least of his concerns. While cuddling for warmth in the cold wilds had seemed a touch romantic to him, there was something about sharing the same sheets that nagged at the young man.

Valerie didn't seem to mind, though, and her nonchalance served to quell the musician's nerves considerably. If the noble lady didn't mind, then what right did the pauper have to make things awkward? Anverth strode to the window, cozying up near Valerie's side. His gaze once again swept across the horizon, and he couldn't help the sense of awe that crept from his feet to his forehead.

"You know, people say that beauty only comes about rarely," he said finally, turning to glance charmingly at the elf beside him. "But ever since I started traveling those few days ago, seems the gorgeous views just never end."

He was talking about the ocean, of course. The young man had never seen the sea before, and he hoped his sentiment was shared by Val. In any case, the young man's gaze fell to his friend's cheek, questioning the faint tint of red that had slinked over her ethereal features. Undoubtedly it was the exhaustion of a day spent riding, nothing more.

• Yay
Valerie never took her eyes off the scenery as he spoke to her, only smiling quietly and nodding her head to indicate she had even heard him at all. After a few more moments of silence, her eyes scanning over the horizon, she responded.

"This reminds me of the harbour back home. It is not flat and accessible like this one is, but rather placed on the edge of treacherous sea cliffs. One needs to meander down narrow, rocky stairways carved into the sides of the rock faces by foot. Any supplies are brought towards Fal'Addas through complex tunnels that open up at the beach and wind their way up and through the cliffs to reach the peaks before sunlight is seen again. A few of the tunnels even flood during spring and neap tides."

She unfolded her arms which had been crossed over her chest, turning her head ever so slightly to peer at the rest of the room she had ignored while taking in the view. Other than the bed there was a simple nightstand on which stood an oil lamp and chipped porcelain jug. In the far corner of the room, in front of the minute fireplace stood a folding screen made of wood and old sail cloth. Behind that Valerie could just peek the sight of a wooden tub, cauldron and bucket at it's base which she assumed was to heat water over the fireplace before filling the tub.

The thought of scrubbing off the last few days of dirt was tempting, memories of the scented oils she had left back home taunting her. Valerie shook off them off, instead turning so that her back leaned against the glass panes. "I'm exhausted. I might take a nap before the sun even thinks of setting and then still sleep like a log tonight. Perhaps we could ask for a cooked meal to be sent up once it's prepared, unless you would prefer to locate a cheaper source of supplies? I'm fine with either option. Cooked food would be easier, but gathering supplies will save us the time of doing it tomorrow or the day after."

Anverth listened with bated breath as Valerie recounted the details of her homeland. He had never been too deep into the Falwood himself, only living far enough to isolate himself from the breadth of humanity without ever truly bumping knees with the prominent Elven settlements. It was a life between two worlds, in many ways; a fond metaphor he hadn't yet abandoned during their travels together. The young musician left the window as her description came to its ending, taking a seat on the bed's very edge. It felt nice to sit down on something that wasn't alive or earthen, for he felt the furniture didn't mind his weight half as much as that stubborn mule did.

He grew steadily more tempted to lay back and fall asleep then and there, but the tenacious young lad managed to pull through his exhaustion remarkably well. At Valerie's question, he donned a broad, bright smile and nodded encouragingly. "If you're tired, then nap by all means; there's plenty of time to go around. I can go request a warm meal and see if they're looking for entertainment tonight. Should be able to finance supplies tomorrow morning with whatever I can scrounge together."

Anverth rose from the bed once more, pressing his hands to his knees like a man twice his age. Of course, men twice his age don't often get battered in the streets and ride horseback for a day and a half on end, so at least the musician had an excuse! He crossed to Valerie once more, giving her a charming smile that could almost hide the faint blush still lingering on his cheeks. "And please, don't take this the wrong way- Love you to bits and everything. But I would pay anything for a nice, inn-made meal or two, with all the spices and salt they can spare."

• Yay
"I have plenty of money left-over from our previous night of work. The horse and mule were quite cheap, luckily. I don't think there is too heavy a need for melodies from you tonight, no matter how sweet they are. The rest might do us both some good." She pushed off from her spot against the window, stretching her arms above her head with a moan before going over to her bag.

Rifling around inside she made some space, then pulled off her cloak. After folding it and rolling it up she put it inside, taking out her money purse to feel the weight of it. The item was still hefty in her palm, confirming what she had said before she added, "A cooked meal from the inn it will be then. I will go organize that with the manager." She rose, rolling up her sleeves which were billowing at her wrists before heading out the door.

It was a few short moments before she returned, giving the halfling a tired smile. "They'll bring it up when it's ready."

***************************************************​

Along the same path they had travelled, Calamys and his minion were trodding along. Grumpy and dusty, the two men were in a foul mood. Magnus spoke, shoulders drooping and his head barely lifting from where he stared at a spot on his saddle. "Was travelling through the night very necessary?"

Calamys, stern and serious in his arched back and sour expression, answered with a sharp tone. "Of course it was. We've most likely caught up to them now. The closest town is up ahead, a small one at that. The type of town where newcomers outside of the harbor area are easily recognized and spotted. All it will take is some asking around with bribes of coins and lips will be loose. Pity our girl decided to choose this town of all places....even with all her training, without her having been outside of the elven settlements she knows little of the dangers of the human world. I bet not even the halfling knows of the secretive pirate groups that use this town as a basis for their black market."

The two rode through the thinning trees, the town where Valerie and Anverth were staying becoming clearer despite the setting sun in the distance.

"So an evening of rest with a warm meal?" The halfling queried with a small smile, nodding in concession. "Sounds--... Well, it sounds almost too good to be true. I'll be here when you return." He gave her a look as she left, a faint glint of attraction showing briefly in his eyes. When Valerie shrugged off that cloak and rolled her sleeves up, she was nearly stunning! Of course, they were just friends - Anverth had to remind himself of that before his malignant crush could assert itself.

The elf would return to find her travelling companion reclining on their shared bed, fiddle sitting in his lap as he leaned his back against the headboard. His fingers plucked a jaunty little tune, and he gave her an equally happy smile as she entered once more. Food was on its way? By the gods, he could almost taste it... "Well, what are we to do 'til then? I could teach you a bit about playing the violin, or-- Oh!" Anverth gave a nod towards the fireplace, newly loaded with two fresh cuts of firewood and notably sporting the bucket near its hearth. "I put some water on to warm if you're looking for a bath. If not, well, I could most certainly use one. Just needs a while to heat."

The halfling grew more thankful for his split heritage. Even as he took up his portion of the bed, there was still plenty of space to go around. Nimbleness and a slender figure do have their upsides after all, even if it leaves him wanting for brawn and strength.

• Yay
⁸Valerie had heard the quiet strumming before even entering into the room, but the sight of Anverth stretched out like a lazy cat on the bed still managed to make her smile. It was a warming sight, seeing someone so easily contented by something that brought them joy and the fiddle was that such thing for Anverth. The elf perched on the very edge of the bed on the foot-end, large eyes watching the halflings nimble fingers as he plucked at the instruments strings.

She looked up when he spoke though, her green hues lighting up at the thought of washing up. "A warm bath? That's as enticing to me as gold trinkets are to crows. I'll get the water ready in the meantime. Perhaps when we're finished we could even use the water to wash up our clothes." She stood, pushing up off the springy mattress with a little strain as her muscles ached from riding. A nice soothing bath is just what I need. I feel like a weeks worth of dust is layered over me.

Strolling over to the small hearth she got to work. It took little time, the girl lighting the wood and setting the bucket in place on a hook over the flames when the food arrived. Opening the door, she Nodded gratefully before retrieving the two wooden bowls handed to her by the innkeeper. The female placed one in Anverth's lap while she went over to sit in front of the fire. stoking the flames in between spoonfuls of a warm stew, she unconsciously hummed to herself as she waited for the water to boil.

The food was finished and the light fading before the water was ready, Valerie taking care to use her cloak to lift the heated bucket of water before emptying it into the tub. The water sloshed against the sides, steam already curling from within as Valerie dug around in her bag for some simple farmers soap she had traded for a hunted rabbit a few weeks prior. After placing two candles on the fire hearth so she could see in the growing dimness of the room, she skittered behind the dividing screen with her bag in hand. She was aware that the tub and the rest of the room were only hidden by a small section of fabric on the room divider, but the opportunity to remove the grime of travel was not to be passed up.

Within minutes, the only sounds in between being water lapping against the tub sides or her gulping in a breath to duck under the water, she was clean and dressed again. She emerged from behind the screen, hair still damp but forming into wet curls and her face slightly flushed from the warm water. Valerie felt better than she had in days, able to dress into cleaner clothes consisting of a grey tunic peasant top and peasant skirt that cinched in at the waist. Different from before was also her bare feet, the female plopping down her dusty riding boots and closed satchel by the bed post. "The water is all yours." She said, gently combing out the knots in her hair with her fingers.

**************************************************************************************
On the other side of the seaside town, the ruffians and crooks began to emerge from wherever they hid during the day - often sleeping off a headache from the previous nights drinking. This is where Calamis and Magnus headed, the captain frowning in disgust as a man nearby bent over a gutter and emptied his stomach of his contents. Despite his obvious aversion to the scenery and ramshackle buildings around them, Calamis said nothing which confused Magnus deeply. Eventually, after they passed the third group of under-dressed woman being propositioned by gruff looking men, he spoke up.

"Cal, I don't mean to question you, but what do you plan to achieve on being here? There are accommodations much more befitting your station on the other side of this dwelling." Calamis gave his friend a smirk before speaking.

"She's expecting us, Magnus. Valerie will be more alert than ever after that close encounter. So, I thought it best we get someone else to do our dirty work for us. Once that halfling is out the picture and she's taken by surprise, we can swoop in and claim what's ours." They turned a corner, heading into a shady but packed establishment. The rickety building looked as if it might collapse at any second, Magnus noticing the ugly stares they were getting as they made their way to the back.

"Keep quiet, let me do the talking. The man we are going to meet has dealt with me before, but he does not like newcomers." Calamis said, Magnus keeping a cautious eye out as they approached a table surrounded by unshaven and partially drunk sailors. One of the men looked up, noticing the elven soldier and stood.

"Captain Calamis! What are you doing in my neck of the woods?" He went to shake Calamis hand, the elf surpassing this and bowing to him instead. "Nice to see you again, Darius. Winning your game of cards? I'm here to offer you some quick work for lots of cash." The man chuckled, cracking his knuckles before rolling his large shoulders. "I always win Calamis, you know this....as for this job, what do you have in mind?"

Calamis grinned smugly, crossing his arms over his chest before speaking. "I need you to take out an individual, how you do it doesn't matter. I know he's a halfling though, I hear those can be quite....valuable, in your business. He's traveling with a girl, her I need you to simply capture and bring to me." Darius grinned wickedly, rubbing his meaty hands together eagerly. "A halfling you say? The slavers in the black bay pay extra for slaves which are a bit more exotic. When do you want it done?"

"The sooner the better....the quicker it's done, the more I'd be willing to pay."

Darius looked to the men, his glance bringing them all to their feet. "Consider it done before dawn. Any ideas on where they are?"

Calamis shrugged, boredly looking at his nails. "An pair of strangers in a small village shouldn't be hard to find. I'll be waiting here." With that said, the group of men left without another word.