Private Tales Chasing Nightmares

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Karl von Stehlen

The Stalwart Shield
Character Biography
Link
proxy.php

"Revenge... is like a rolling stone, which, when a man hath forced up a hill, will return upon him with a greater violence, and break those bones whose sinews gave it motion."
-Jeremy Taylor

"If I had the choice, I would not be assigning you this......" A man in armor stepped forward towards a table. This fellow held the rank of "taskmaster", his job was as simple as his name: Hand out assignments, specifically, to various knights of the Iron Cross Order. The taskmaster was currently standing in a what called the "briefing room", as paperwork located all over the room, while tacked to one of the larger walls was a massive map of a territory with various pins attached into it. Underneath his armpits were a couple of rolled up parchments of paper, and he was facing two other men in armor...brothers to be exact. Karl and Ivas of the Von Stehlen house...as they both stood to. "...but seeing that there's no one else available at this moment but you two...and I can't sen Karl off on his own...But I have no choice by to put you on this mission...so I hope to the gods, you can control yourself `

The taskmaster then began to pace about the table on his side, partially thinking to himself, and partially addressing the two knights in front of him.

"The urgency of this mission cannot be understated, as even as we speak our window of opportunity grows smaller and smaller. This..." The taskmaster took out a rolled up piece of parchment from his collection and handed to Karl, whom opened it up, revealing a sketch of a a particularly looking individual. "...is Jacaevor Ariar...he's not exactly known inside the realm...but outside? He's known as a slave

"Recently, we've gotten word that Ariar is planning to run a slave convoy through the Schleiferwoods...a pretty ballsy move trying to run a slave convoy right under our noses, but this would indicate that whoever Ariar is transporting is on such a market, well...there worth a lot or they're some one who needs them now...of course it doesn't matter either way, 'cause we're bringing this entire operation down on it's head."

The taskmaster would move to reveal the map beside him, before picking up a wooden pointer nearby, before using it to circle out and indicate a specific area on the map.

"We had some general ideas of where this convoy would be moving, but as of early this morning, one of our Patrols caught wind of a baggage train moving across the horizon but over the border, but they appeared to have been heading towards the forest. Our scouts were able to get a sense of where they were heading, but they were unable to pinpoint the exact numbers of the cargo or even what this "cargo" even was...but we've been coordinating an ambush location, the Patrol, the Death Jackels, have sent word of the ambush site and we've already dispatched the 21st Halberdiers, I believe they call themselves the "Silver Blades", on site to assist with the ambush. Even so, the Hunts-captain has specifically requested for some knights to assist, which brings us back to your assignment."

The taskmaster put down his pointer, whirling around to look at the two knights currently in the room.

"Your orders are to assist the Death Jacks and Silver Blades in arresting all members of the convoy and seizing whatever peoples or goods they may be transporting. You are all authorized to use lethal force if necessary, however, you two have an additional order: Bring in Jacaevor Ariar, alive...not only are we to make an example out of him, but we need to interrogate him for any information in-regards to who is buying his "stock" and if anyone else is potentially thinking the same thing. I understand that one of us here has even larger reservations about the matter then most..." The taskmaster said, as he glanced up at Ivas. "...but level heads must prevail if we're to purse this plague to it's roots...and put an end to this barbarity...here are your coordinates, the huntsmen should signal you once you approach...best of luck to you two, and may the steel in your hearts hold fast."

With that, the taskmaster left the two to prepare for their upcoming mission. There was really one thing to do before the two were to mount up: Arm themselves. But before that, Karl took the coordinates he was handed to and lumbered over to teh larger map, comparing what the coordinates the taskmaster had given him with the location on the map...before taking some chalk to the side and marking somthing out, folding the parchment up before looking to his brother.

"Best we get armed." Karl was referring to the armory right next to the briefing room, as the door was where the taskmaster had exited, revealing racks of weapons aligned in proper rows....
Ivas von Stehlen

The Taskmaster paced around the room explaining the details of the mission. His sights landed on Ivas as he stated that there would be no room for out of control behaviour. He handed Karl the parchment with the sketch of Jacaevor Ariar and Ivas leaned leaned over to take a look as well, the image burned into his mind. The Taskmaster continued as he told them of their meeting with the Death Jackals and Silver Blades, and keeping this Jacaevor Ariar alive. The thought of leaving a monster like that alive made Ivas flex his hands to control himself. He wasn't there to give his opinions, he was there to follow orders and bring this man back alive whether he liked it or not.

Once again the Taskmaster looked at Ivas as he spoke of his experience with slavers. Ivas stared at the Taskmaster but didn't say a word, as much as Ivas didn't want to admit it the Taskmaster was right. He would need to be levelheaded and think about his actions in order to make this mission successful. With the information they had, this should be a fairly simple operation but the Taskmaster's concerns for having Ivas in this mission was valid. Not known for his stealthy approaches, Ivas was one to charge in and lay waste to the opposition. This was not in his area or expertise, but Karl had been on a few of these missions so Ivas knew all he had to do was listen to Karl's orders and they would be back before sundown. As the Taskmaster left the room Karl made some adjustments to the map that he was given. He folded the paper and nodded to the armory in the next room telling him that they should get armed. Ivas nodded in agreement and let out an, "Aye."

The armory was a big room lined with a variety weapons, from massive swords to small daggers to bows of differing heights. Ivas's hand gravitated toward the massive slab of steel against the far wall, but knowing that the mission called for an ambush he drew away. His eyes scanned the room and eventually landed on a smaller sword, not one that was small enough to be used with a shield like his brother Karl, but one that paled in comparison to the greatsword in the corner. Karl had already chosen his usual sword and shield and was waiting for Ivas back in the briefing room.

Ivas stepped out and closed the door gently, making sure the sword didn't hit the wood. He nodded to Karl that he was ready and Karl nodded in response. The two left the briefing room and walked down the many hallways of the estate and into the sun. Their horses were already prepared by the stable boys and ready to go. Mounting the horses, the two set off toward the woods to meet up with the huntsmen at the designated coordinates. The ride remained mostly quiet between the two as they had a mutual respect that didn't need many words. But the nagging thought of the Taskmaster's distrust in Ivas made him question it to Karl, "Why did he single me out? I've gotten better with the rage, have I not?" He didn't want to question the Taskmaster, but it made him feel lesser than the others every time he did it. It was the fourth time in the last month that the Taskmaster brought up his actions on the battlefield, and he may have been right but Ivas thought he was getting better at controlling it.

The woods were thick and dark, giving them plenty of shade under its massive trees. Sounds of birds and other wildlife were amplified and surrounded them as they rode. The path that they rode on was well worn from many patrols and previous missions. The dirt kicked up behind them as their horses galloped smoothly along the road. Wind filtered itself through the trees and gave them a small breeze. It was a nice day for an ambush and a nice day to capture a slaver or two.

• Yay
Reactions: Karl von Stehlen
When they entered the armor, Karl had moved to the side where the one-handed swords were lined up. First, Karl picked out the shield with the iron cross crest and attaching it to his left arm, then he proceeded to grab two long swords; one after the other, sliding them into his empty scabbard on his left hip. There was a particular reason that Karl wore two swords, and that might become apparent during the upcoming conflict...

Regardless, Karl followed his brother outside, where Daisy and his brother's mount were waiting. Karl would move to the side of Daisy, patting her down for the trip ahead. A moment later, the two knights have mounted and soon both of them found themselves moving quickly on the open roads. Karl had taken the lead, as he had a strong sense of where the Taskmaster had marked out the ambush site. The Schleiferwoods was indeed a good place for a smuggling route, well it would have, had it not been filled with both monsters and huntsmen patrols roaming for such illegal things, on top of being very easy to get lost within. Thankfully, the two of them were to have support, or rather, they would be supporting one of these patrols, whom knew the landscape all too well, thus would give them an advantage over their opponent...

Karl was already thinking about the plan of action and what they're roles would be, when he heard Ivas suddenly speak up, and slowed Daisy a bit to match pace with Ivas.

"I wouldn't think too much of it, brother..." Karl shrugged almost nonchalantly, his facial expression was naturally indifferent, but it didn't seem uncaring. "...I doubt he see's you as lesser...I've seen him dismiss other knights from certain assignments on the same grounds...think of it from his perspective: We've have a situation where there is a level of precision involved...and we have you, who may be personally and emotionally attached to a subject such as this, which may effect your performance in the matter...like it or not...even if we were talking about your rage, it would still be rational to attach someone whom has less history with the matter...someone who may be less spontaneous...or rather, whom may suffer less...emotional distress or...trauma...from the matter..."

Karl seemed to have chosen his words a bit carfully, his expression hardly changing, as his focus remained forward on the road.

"I suppose the best thing to do in this sort of situation is to...prove him wrong...see it as an opportunity to remake your image...who knows? This may as well be one of those stories you tell around the fire one day..."

• Yay
Reactions: Ivas von Stehlen
Karl spoke to him in his usual demeanor, but Ivas still felt like an outcast. He'd been singled out for his rage. Sure, he could prove the Taskmaster wrong, but what would that change in the Taskmaster's eyes? Ivas kept his eyes on the road and nodded to himself as Karl finished speaking, "Maybe." He trusted Karl's input and reasoning but his mind betrayed him and only put him further into his loneliness. But they rode on, silence lingering above them once more like a cloud.

Further into the Schleiferwoods they went, the only sound being the heavy hooves beating like sticks against earthly drums. Ivas wondered how many slavers were a part of the convoy and how many of them he could actually give judgement to. Slavers were better off rotting on the side of the road, preferably in more than two pieces. They didn't deserve peaceful or honored deaths, they deserved slow and painful deaths that made them regret the decisions that led them up to that point. However, that wasn't what they wished on this mission and it was in Ivas's best interest to follow the mission. As much as he wanted to gut these disgusting slavers, he knew that the information they had was even more valuable and could help them find even more convoys that illegally crossed Strojland.

Ivas took a deep breath and remembered what Edgar had taught him years ago. Rage only produced destruction, a destruction that almost couldn't be repaired. It may give the wielder strength and the ability to look death in the face, but it also put everyone that the wielder loves in harms way. Edgar always told him to not focus his rage on the past and let it make decisions for him, but to focus it on the future and build a better world for everyone so that no one had to go through what he did. As Ivas was finished calming himself they caught sight of one of the scouts waving to them. Karl led them to the scout and the man walked to Karl, "Sir, we've been following the convoy's every move. They've just begun moving through the woods, we've some more men up ahead I'll take you to them." The scout started moving quickly ahead and Karl and Ivas followed closely behind. Soon they came to a larger group of huntsmen and their leader walked up to Karl and Ivas to greet them.

• Yay
Karl and Ivas would dismount, before following the the huntsmen scouts further into the forest, trailing their horses behind them as they went. As the two continued further into the Schleiferwoods, it would seem as if more and more trees began to crop up, clustering, bending into a maze of a natural porportion. Had it not been the huntsmen gudies, it was a wonder if the two knights won't have gotten lost.

After a bit of a trek later, they would across a bit of a revene, where many men were gathered...some were standing in plain view...others, not so much. The scouts would continue to lead the knights forward, coming upon a group of soldiers whom appeared to be discussion among themselves, squatting around what looked like a battle plan drawn into the ground.

Karl would approach, giving a hail of greeting, as the men around the

A man with a steel helmet stood up and stepped forward, his bow was secured to his back. This was Hunts-Captain Oliver Rossel, Hunts-Captain of the "Death Jackel" Schleiferwood Patrol, a man whom had worked with the noble household on a number of occasions, usually with their older brother...

Hunts-Captain Oliver Rossel
proxy.php

"Greetings, Sir Knights..." The Hunts-Captain called out, stepping foward and offered Karl a hand, which the knight took with a hefty grip. "...Karl, Ivas, I'm glad you two could join us. Captain Schachner is over younder, getting his men into position...I think we figured out a plan of attack..."

Oliver would offer his hand to Ivas, were he to take it, he'd give the knight a firm handshake, before letting go...

"Right, so if you gentlmen would follow me, I'll go over the battle plan..." The hunts-captain nodded forward, turning back around and headed back to the gathered men. When everyone had gotten into a position where they could see, Oliver began going over the battle plan: The men from the two units would be split into two groups, one attacking from the right and the other attacking from the left. Quite the simple battle stratagem, but there was more. The two attack groups would await for the convoy to get into an optimal position, before the huntsmen hornblowers would on the Hunts-captain's signal, sound the attack call. This would result in the huntsmen loosing arrows and dropping as many of the guards possible, before the halberdiers would close in melee and apprehend those whom remained alive. The only portion of the convoy that will be spared of arrows was the leading portion, whom will be immediately halted by a line of halberdiers, and thus it's leader apprehended.

The knights on the other hand would be positioned each on either side of the ambushing site, where they would follow the halberdiers into the melee. However, both knights were to remaining near the head of the convoy, and advance to help take it's leader as quickly as possible. With the leader down, it would only be a matter of time before the others would surrender. The policy was to take them alive if possible, dead if they must, but this policy was up for a looser interpretation, considering these were slave traders...Once the hostile elements of the convoy was pacified, the men would then move to secure the goods.

Seemed pretty simple, but nearly everyone in the group knew, it hardly was that simple.

"Well that's all...but...nevermind..." The Hunts-captain finished up his explanation, but seemed to hesitate on somthing. This was quickly picked up by Karl, as he had seen Oliver's hesitation.

"Is somthing the matter?"

"Um...well, it probably 's just me, but..."
The hunts-captain shurgged, but decided to continue. "...there's somthin' off about this convoy...I can't put my finger on it but...somthing doesn't add up...they've been movin' slower then a slug, considerin' where they are...we're not exactly legend you know...and, we'll, there was somthing a bit off with the guards...they were armed, but...they're was just somthing off about they way they carried themselves...like, it didn't seem quite right..."

A few of the huntsmen at the group murmured in agreement to their hunts-captain, who was now looking up to Karl with a bit of concern.

"Well, whatever it is...we will find out soon enough..." Karl said, his expression was very serious as he looked over the stratgem one more time, before glancing at Ivas. "...you got all of that, brother? If not, then I'll be taking the right flank...remember, we need him alive..."

Last edited:
  • Yay
Reactions: Ivas von Stehlen
Ivas took Oliver's hand in his and shook it firmly while looking into the man's eyes and nodding. The brothers followed Oliver to their makeshift camp and discussed the battle plan. The plan was fairly straightforward to Ivas, let the arrows do their thing and then once the halberdiers apprehended the other men, Ivas and Karl would step in and arrest the leader. If any slavers decided to get brave, Ivas would send their heads flying and their innards sprawling. Easier than organizing the entire armoury, or so he thought.

Oliver looked a little worried and Karl questioned him on it. The Captain explained to the brothers about the guards' sluggishness and Ivas noted how seriously Oliver took it. Karl seemed to take it very serious as well and glanced at Ivas reminding him of their objective. Ivas nodded, "Aye. I'll take the left." With that Ivas pointed at a few of the huntsmen and motioned them to come with him before turning back to Karl, "Good luck, Brother." A part of him was a little disappointed that he didn't have a bigger role in killing the slavers, but he thought nothing of it and continued on the left side of the road with the small group of huntsmen. When he got into position he looked across the road at the other group and nodded to Karl before turning to the nearest huntsman, "You. Explain to me exactly what these guards are doing that's so odd." The huntsman looked back at him before whispering, "Sir, the guards in front of the convoy, they almost seem lazy. Like they either don't know what they're doing or they're really tired. It's quite off-putting to be quite honest." Ivas nodded and looked back toward the road before sliding the front plate of his helmet down.

Behind the face plate he felt like a different person, like he wasn't really a person at all but an instrument. An instrument of pain and suffering that was to be brought upon such repulsive filth. When the helmet was on he was no longer Ivas, he was known as The Bloody, or as some in the order called him The Knight of the Boundless Rage. It fit him, but he didn't know if that was a good thing or not. Perhaps it was at times, and at times it wasn't. As everyone from the Taskmaster, to Karl and Edgar repeatedly had to tell him to calm himself in the midst of battle. And so that's what Ivas tried to do in their last moments of peace and quiet. He breathed deeply and slowly remembering what Edgar had told him time and time again.

His technique was cut short by the sound of hooves and footsteps, very slow hooves and footsteps to be accurate. From over the ridge in the forest he could see the convoy crawling along, and what the huntsmen were saying was true. The guards seemed to drag their feet and let their hands dangle limply at their sides. Some of them were so slow that they walked next to the wagons with their swords scraping along the dirt. The horses too were just as lackadaisical, slowly moving and wagging their heads back and forth keeping them down. The sight was odd and something did indeed feel off to Ivas but he pushed the thought away and focused on the task at hand. He looked back one more time to Karl and nodded firmly.

• Yay
When they departed, Karl would give Ivas a gentle fist to his shoulder while nodding in acknowledgment, before turning to his side of the ambush site. The Hunts-captain would put his hands together and let out a bird like noise, which seemed to mean somthing to the huntsmen, as they began to get into position, the halberdiers following close behind.

It did not take too long for everyone to get into position, out of sight those whom were not looking. It wasn't long before the convoy could be heard in the distance, soon appearing over the horizon for all to see.

"There he is!" One of the huntsmen hissed, as he was indicating to a certain figure sitting at the front of the convoy. No doubt, that was the notorious Jacaevor Ariar. The convoy itself seemed rather typical for a slaver convoy, multiple guards of various races, in their hands were quite the variety of weapons...although, a keen eye would notice that these weapons were rather...cruder, then one would imagine a slaver guard would wield...especially when crossing through hostile territory...and the wagons, which no doubt contained the "cargo"...were closed top wagons...what were they hiding?

Regardless of these oddities, when the convoy pass through a certain point, Ivas would hear somthing a kin to a birds call...immediately followed by the sound of several horns...and a volley of arrows flew out of the surrounding foliage and tree tops, dropping the various armed individuals that had been sauntering along with the wagons. This startled the horses, whom began kicking and neighing, much to the detriment of the drivers. In the next instance, the sound of several men yelling would echo through the forest, as halberdiers and huntsmen emerged from their hiding spots, brandishing all manners of weapons. These men would then began to descend onto the convoy from both sides and with full fury, ready to meet any opposition in their tracks. Meanwhile, to the front of the convoy, several halbeiders had emerged from each side of the makeshift path, coming together to form a halberdier wall, sealing the escape forward.

From where Ivas had been standing, he would have seen Karl following the wave of soldiers forward. Karl's jet black face-plate was down as his bright red plume fluttered in the wind, as he held forward his shield and had a sword ready in his hand. The brother was advancing forward at a steady pace, moving forward with some of the men on his side to intercept the lead wagon...​

The call came and so did the horns. Several shadows of arrows would randomly blot out the little sunlight that slipped through the dense trees, but Ivas didn't look up. It wasn't his job to look up, it was his job apprehend the monster in charge of this convoy. As the arrows descended into the guards Ivas and the huntsmen rose from their position and stormed the road. The halberdiers formed a line that would be nearly impossible for the slavers to escape from.

In Ivas's mind all he could think to himself was how much he wanted to tear them apart limb from limb but a part of his mind also forced its way in and kept telling him, Keep calm! over and over again. He couldn't let his rage get the best of him this time around, even if they were apprehending a monster hiding inside of a man's body. His attention was turned to the plume on Karl's helmet. Ivas didn't wear one himself, he didn't want to, to him it looked a little silly and it was incredibly difficult to get blood out of. This focus helped Ivas calm himself and not lose sight of the objective, and he followed his brother to the front of the first wagon.

Most of the guards had been felled by the volley of arrows, those who were merely injured were kept down by huntsmen. The other guards and the drivers who were lucky enough to not get hit were also held down by a number of huntsmen, their swords, daggers, and knives out at the ready in case one of them tried to make a move. Ivas pushed to the front of the men where Karl stood and stared at the man they were looking for; Jacaevor Ariar. The man behind the convoy and the plan to smuggle the slaves through the Schleiferwoods. Ivas noticed earlier how the wagons were covered, but this didn't matter to him at the moment as his full attention was on what this man would say or do.

The entire ordeal descended into a sort of chaos, as men were shouting and cursing, specifically for their targets to drop their weapons. Karl himself had dropped his sword during the initial frenzy of the charging, rushing forward towards the first cart and reaching upward, grabbing this Jacaevor Ariar, whom had a considerably frightened expression for some notorious slaver, as the knight ripped him out of his seat and threw him onto the ground, pinning him there with his free hand, as the other halberdiers whom had advanced with Karl kept their weapons lowered at their target.

Yet as soon as the ambush had occurred, it seemed to have ended just as fast. The various guards had almost instantaneously dropped their weapons at the sight of the soldiers, some even began to cower as the ambushers advanced. Those who did try to put up a fight were less then skilled, as their swings were wide and clumsy, their weapons quickly swatted out of their hands by the oncoming attackers.

Within minutes, the situation had been pacified, all threats had been dealt with without any further violence...which only seem to echo the hunts-captain's sentiment earlier about things being odd...this had ended a bit...too quickly...given the context of the convoy...being that slave running in these parts was practically a death sentence...

"Sir knights, you might wanna come look at this." One of the huntsmen suddenly hollered over towards the rear of the convoy, causing Karl to turn his helmeted head towards that direction, before looking up towards Ivas on the other side of the wagon.

"Ivas, over here..." Karl called out to his brother, his free hand still pinning Ariar on the ground. "...hold him down, I'll go take a look."

The ambush seemed too easy in some regards, with almost everyone seeming to drop their weapons and give up. This struck Ivas as curious and he watched as Karl ripped Jacaevor from his perched location and threw him to the ground. The man acted oddly fearful and not at all like a big name slaver. One of the guards that were still up and fighting ventured a little too close to Ivas and he stuck his hand out to grab the man's face. He brought it close to his own, not worried about the man's sword as it was dropped out of fear. Ivas lifted the man's face-plate and looked at him closely. The guard, despite being one of the few to keep fighting, looked terrified. Ivas pushed the man's head back and he fell to the earth clumsily while huntsmen pointed their swords at him.

Ivas bent down to grab one of the swords that the guards were using, studying it. This is less than poorly made and maintained. He thought to himself as one of the huntsmen called out to them. He looked curiously at the back of the convoy until Karl spoke to him, he dropped the weapon on the ground without a care and walked to his brother. He told him to hold the slaver as he went to go look at the convoy. Ivas nodded and simply placed a sturdy foot on the man's chest.

Jacaevor looked pathetic underneath his boot, not the man he was expecting to capture. But also seeing him like this made it just a little easier for Ivas to control his rage. Instead he felt elation, for once he got to be on the other side of a foot. His memories flashed before him, he knew that the slavers he worked under saw the face Jacaevor was making time and time again. Perhaps Jacaevor knew now what Ivas had felt numerous times when he was just a child. His foot clamped a little harder on the man's chest as his imagination ran wild with tearing him limb from limb and feeding him to the beasts that lurked in the woods around them. However, he let up when he heard one of the huntsmen behind him whisper, "Sir, please calm down." Instead he focused his attention on the back of convoy again, hoping to see what the huntsman was making such a fuss over.

"Remember, we need him alive." Karl nodded to Ivas as he watched him place his foot onto man, before moving towards the rear where the huntsmen had been hollering for him. Karl would continue to the rear, passing other soldiers and huntsmen whom had the convoy guards on the grounds or in some way pacified. When Karl finally reached what was perhaps the secound to last wagon of this five wagon convoy, a group of huntsmen and halberdiers were surrounding this one guard who was cowering on the ground.

The guard himself was an elf of sorts, seemingly real lanky judging by his frame, clearly not cut out to be a fighter. One of the halbiders was on his knees next to him, grabbing at the guard's arm.

"Sir, look at this..." The Helibder said, as the men parted for the knight to pass through. Karl would then take a step forward and nealt down, taking the guards arm into his hands and gripped firmly, as the halberdier pulled back the guard's sleeves...causing Karl to raise an eyebrow. "...sir, it's a bra-"

BOOOOOOM

A sudden explosion rocked the surrounding area, knocking down people and horses as far as to the front of the convoy, including Ivas. The trees surrounding the convoy embed and bent, leaves were shaken off and raining down onto the people below. A thick black smoke had quickly engulfed the rear, mainly the last two transports of the five cart transport, and with it: Karl. Meanwhile, most of the men, including the convoy gurads, were knocked off their feet. There was a momentary silence, or rather, momentary ringing in everyone's ears...as when the ringing subsided, the screams of pain pierced the air, followed by the merrid of coughing from the soot and the commotions of several men yelling.

"Everybody down!"
"Are we under attack!?"
"Weapons! Weapons!"
"What's going on!?"

The chaos of the situation would ensue, as men began looking to and fore trying to determine the situation, and if indeed they had just been counter ambushed themselves, which seemed highly unlikely. Yet no arrows flew from the tree lines, nor did any battle scar attacker emerge from the foliage, and it would seem that the explosion had been somthing...internal.

As the chaos continued, trying to organize itself out, it would appear that Mr. Ariar was able to wiggle out of his predicament; as Ivas's foot had come off, he was able to scramble onto his feet the moment the shaking had subsided to a bearable level, running shakily past the various soldiers whom were shaken by the explosion...trying to make a break towards the tree line...at the same time, Karl hadn't emerged from the smoke...no one did...

Last edited:
Ivas couldn't see much of what was going on at the end of the convoy, he could only see that plenty of huntsmen and halberdiers stood there looking at each other confused. He looked around at the rest of the troops and asked aloud, "Are all guards apprehended and accounted for? No stragglers?" The men all called out, "Yes, Sir!" And Ivas nodded, looking back down at Jacaevor thinking to himself silently, This was too easy. Something doesn't seem right.

One of the huntsmen made his way from the back to the front, his face looked confused and shocked. Ivas stopped him, "You. What's going on back there?" The huntsman threw up his hands slightly, "It's odd, Sir. One of the guards are a small elf. Not one for fighting, aye?" Ivas nodded slowly, "Aye."

"That's not even the most odd part, Sir. On the arm of the guard is a br-"

One second Ivas was looking at the huntsman, listening to him speak. The next he was flat on his back, ears ringing, smoke above him and huntsmen and halberdiers scrambling. He sat up and saw Jacaevor get up and make his way to the treeline. Ivas looked around and saw some huntsmen getting up close to him and quickly got up. He shouted at them, "Stop him now!" The huntsmen looked at Ivas and then at Jacaevor but weren't well enough to go after him, they scrambled but were too disoriented and stumbled over.

Ivas looked at Jacaevor and then at the plume of smoke rising from the back of the convoy. His worry and fear of being left alone pulled him in the direction of Karl, but his body moved towards Jacaevor. He followed him into the woods, the slaver not getting too far before Ivas grabbed him and slammed him up against a tree, knocking the wind out of the man. Ivas then grabbed his collar and dragged him quickly back to the road, a few huntsmen and halberdiers were back on their feet helping their fellow comrades. Ivas tossed Jacaevor towards them and pointed at a few of them, "You, you, and you! Hold him down! Now! So help me if he escapes again.." Ivas let the men's imagination fill in the rest of the sentence as he ran to the back of the convoy, pushing through thick black smoke.

He knew Karl was capable of taking care of himself and that a blast like that wouldn't kill him alone. But he was afraid of the pieces of wood from the wagon launching themselves into vulnerable areas of his armour. He was also worried for the men that were with Karl as well, though admittedly not nearly as much. He pulled a few halberdiers from the wreckage and continued searching. Some of the men were already dead, either from the shock of the explosion or the pieces of wood that lodged themselves in their bodies. Some were lucky enough to take a piece directly to the head, killing them instantly. "Brother!" He yelled out as he tried to fan smoke out of his face, making it easier to see. Please be okay, Karl. Ivas thought as he searched.

A sudden hand would clasp onto Ivas's back, pulling him sideways. It was Karl, his armor was now covered from his plume all the way to his toes in soot, but nevertheless he seemed fine, his expression hardly seem to have changed since he had advanced to the rear. However, it was indeed a testimony to whoever had made the armor that Karl was still standing, seemingly rather unharmed by the explosion. Behind Karl, several of the men he was with were making their way out of the smock, some were dragging along friends or foe, all of them coughing as they went. It would appear that Ivas had been rummaging through the last cart, as the secound to last cart still remained in tack.

"Brother, it's clear to me now *cough* this entire thing was a distraction...a decoy..." Karl said as he turned towards Ivas, his expression had grown grim enough to rival their older brother. "...the guards*cough* they're branded *cough* with slave markings*cough*cough* no doubt used *cough* some sort of expendable fodder..."

Karl took a moment to cough, getting as much as the soot out of his lungs as possible. The explosion was hardly enough to kill Karl and the men with him, as they were far enough from the explosion to be spared the wrath of it's direct force. However, they were indeed thrown off the most by the explosion, being so close to it, it had sent most of them flying, and Karl had barly had time to get his shield up before the shockwave had hit him. Luckily, his armor was able to weigh him down a bit, so he didn't fly far, and had began to pick himself up...roughly feeling his way through the smoke, when he almost tripepd over a body. When the knight had knelt down to inspect the body, they're was somthing wrong about it, aside being a bloody mess...this weren't the their men nor...any of the guards whom did a poor job of guarding the cavern...

"Don't touch the wagons!" Karl suddenly yelled, his whirling around and pointed towards some of the men at front of the convoy, as some of them appeared to have wanted to break open the paddy lock. "They're rigged to explode!"

The thunder of Karl's bellowing echoed through the forest, as the moment the men began to process what the knight had said, before they quickly began to scrambling away from the carts, dragging along the convoy guards as they did.

"Brother, Ariar! Where is he?" Karl turned around, relatively calm despite what he had just said, his expression remaining ever serious. "There are people in the carts and I think the carts are rigged to explode upon opening...we need to get them out without triggering...whatever it is that had made the explosion..."

The sudden pull made Ivas spin and cock his hand back for a full forced punch before realizing it was Karl. He immediately relaxed and listened intently to his brother before he went into a coughing fit. Ivas waited for him while he moved his shoulders, feeling the impact of the explosion in his body. It wasn't much but it was enough to make his shoulders a little sore he was thankful he was up by the front.

Ivas followed Karl's finger as he pointed and yelled at a few men that were trying to open more of the wagons. Rigged to explode? What kind of monster would use people as a decoy? His brother turned to him and asked him about Jacaevor, Ivas nodded and motioned to his brother to follow if he could, "He's at the front. I have a few men holding him down, he tried to run and I had to capture him before getting to you." He made his way to the front where the huntsmen and halberdiers were still holding down the man.

"That wor-*cough*-ks"

Karl would thus let go of his brother's shoulders, as he followed him towards the front, his now dusted plume bouncing with each step. When the two got there, a group of men had surrounded the leader, one of the halberdiers appeared to have pinned the man to a nearby tree trunk.

"Alright buddy, you got a lot of bones we can break without killing you, so you better start talkin' before we start breakin'." The men were no doubt trying to threaten Ariar into telling them

"Sir..." One of the huntsmen to the rear of the commotion gave a small salute at the two knights, before turning his attention back to the scenario. "...some of the lads are trying to get somthing out of him...but, damn, if that isn't the sorriest slaver I've ever seen..."

Karl didn't say anything, his attention was on Ariar, his grim expression never faltering...as he stepped forward, gently pushing himself forward towards the front of the crowed...

"I bet you that fancy necklace of yours was brought by blood money!" One of the huntsmen to the front yelled, drawing attention to a necklace the man had been wearing, which actually appeared rather crude compared to his outfit. Yet the huntsmen's fury wasn't done, as he used the short sword in his hand to lift up said necklace. "It's barbarians like you who hold the rest of us back! You degenerate scumbag piece of sh-"

The hunstmen suddenly turned the sword vertically, drawing in back and cutting the strings of the necklace, sending the parts scattering to the floor and...well, there was definitely some sort of foul play, as when the necklace had been cut off...like make up being washed away by water...as the illusion fell from the person, this "Jacaevor" was no more then some other person...as Karl looked into the man's eyes...eyes filled with terror, as if he was on the cusps of death...and to this end, Karl took his wrists, and turned them over... examined it closely...as on his hands was somthing that was similar to what the other guards had possessed...

"Branded too..." Karl grunted, as if the branding had confirmed one of his suspicions, as let go of the man's wrists and allowing the scared...slave, to grasp it. The men around the two knights were flabbergasted, to say the least, as the halberdier gently let go of the slave, allowing him to slide down against the tree trunk "This isn't him...this entire thing...a setup...a distraction...this can only mean one thing..."

Ivas showed Karl the man who was now pinned to a tree. A spark of joy went through him as he watched the group of men interrogating him. This disgusting slaver would get what was coming to him, and the fear in his eyes made Ivas feel alive. He followed Karl to the front and watched as the huntsman cut his necklace off, the man's face showing true terror. Not one of a man who had done evil deeds, but one of a man who was innocent. This made Ivas question his thoughts until Karl turned the man's wrists over and show the brand. A feeling of regret came over Ivas, but his face wouldn't show it as he still had a duty to do and the real slavers were still on the loose somewhere.

He walked to Karl, "Brother, we have to send scouts out immediately if we have any chance of capturing the slavers. Also," He turned his attention towards the convoy, "We have to get the people from the wagons out safely without triggering the explosives. If only Llyn were here she would know how to open it.." Ivas also turned his attention to the different guards that were being held up by the huntsmen and halberdiers, "Everyone, check the arms of the guards." They had been fooled. The real slavers could've been out of the forest by now, Ivas knew that Karl would make the right calls and know how to handle the situation.

"Don't bother...their all branded..." Karl almost murmured, his eyes hadn't wandered away from the decoy Ariar...the knight seemed as if he hadn't heard Ivas, instead stepping back forward, and taking a knee...right in front of the frighten slave.

"Hey..." Karl said, his expression seemed to stay the same...but his voice softened, as it caught the attention of the cowering slave. "...we're not here to hurt you...we want help..you, and all these people in the carts...but we don't know how these carts are set up, or what makes them explode...if you help us...we can do a lot more for you...make you a free man...release you from this...bondage..."

Karl might have not been the most friendly of beings, that being a big man in a piece of black clanky armor...but it helped a bit that he had his faceplate up...and while he didn't show...all that much human emotion...it was still more then what the slave was used to... a person of power, who didn't have to hide behind a mask...with promises of freedom...which would only cause the man to hesitate more upon his silence...

"T-they'res a trip wire in the doors...i-it's connected to the magic crsytals tied to...t-their hands...it'll detonate when the d-doors are open..." The man stuttered, his eyes held fear but actions...they were the actions of a brave man striking out for himself for the first time. "...I-i think if y-you...open the door-r slightly...you m-might cut the w-wires without trigger-ring the crystals-s..."

That was what Karl needed, as he gave a confident nod towards the man. "Thank you...I think you may have saved a number of lives today..."

With that, the knight stood back up, leaving the man shaking where he sat. Karl would then whirl around to the greater scene, as the men were already backing away from the carts. This caused the knight to grimace a bit, before letting out a whistle that caught the attention of the men.

"Gather around!" Karl bellowed, as some of the men looked at each other, before making they're way towards the brothers. Men soon began to gather around the knight, taking care to step away from the carts, as they looked up to observe the knight on the slope. "Listen up! We've got a delicate situation on our hands! A dangerous situation that requires brave men!...Their are people inside of these carts! Carts rigged to explode if opened!...Now I understand that some of you may be hesitant...and I will not blame you for backing out...and we can leave them to their faiths, but these people...These people, most likely have never gone a day in their lives as freemen! And now they've been brought here to die!...Their so called destiny...but you know what I say...to hell with destiny! We are Strojlanders! We make our own destiny!...So I say to you men, if those of you whom wish to back out of this dangerous task, you may step back now...but for the rest of you...let us show these barbarians that

Frankly, the entire ordeal sounded as if they were about to do battle...but for the first few moments, the men simply looked at each other and murmured...but by the end of the speech, everyone was cheering...not a single man had stepped back during the chaos...a fact that didn't escape the knight's attention.

Since taking up the mantle of Stahlspitze and donning the jet-black armor, Karl had to learn how to give rousing speeches to the troops...perhaps both as a born noblemen, and as the spearhead of a formation of knights. It was never easy at first...but his older siblings were much more experience in the matters...so, Karl was able to pick up quickly on the aspect of speech craft.

"I see no man has stepped down...very good...now listen up! The carts are rigged to explode upon opening the door. There's a wire connecting the door to the explosive crystals...which I am told are attached to the...hostages...and needs to be cut, very delicately!...You all will need to open the door ever so slightly! Just enough to slide in a knife and cut the wire!...Only then will you be able to open the doors and retrieve the hostages...Is that understood!?" A wave of "yes sirs" and "ayes" spread across the crowed, as it seemed as if Karl was eyeing ever single one of them. "Good! Now...split up to groups by section, and get to it!"

The men gave one last cheer, before quickly dispersing into their section, moving towards their appropriate sections where they had been assigned for the ambush...and got to work, careful not to fling the wagon doors open.

It was then Karl turned to Ivas, his grim expression persisting, and nodded to him. "Ivas...go grab your horse...I may need you to ride out soon to deliver a message..."