Private Tales By the light of the silvery moon

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Brenna

Cadet of The Sanctuary
Nordenfiir
Character Biography
Link
As another loud roar of laughter went up around the fire Brenna quietly picked up her mug, her satchel and wandered a little bit away from the group. Nobody battered an eyelid at her leaving and continued with their stories and drinking. Brenna didn't dislike these kinds of evenings - they were some of her favourite moments on their trip Southwards but after a point her eyes grew more tired and slurred words became harder to read. It was somehow lonelier to be sat in the middle of the action and yet not understand what was going on. Besides, she enjoyed the moments to herself in the evenings. It gave her more time to work on the Signs but occasionally she would take the time to go for a swim or draw.

Her footfalls barely made a noise as she picked her way through the trees towards a small stream they had passed through on their way to their camping spot. She could still the glare of the fire and if anyone looked for her she wouldn't be hard to miss - she didn't have a death wish after all and they had faced enough problems on the road for her to value being close to the rest of the group. But it was enough distance that she felt separate from the group. Brenna dumped her satchel down in the snow and then sat down beside it in one fluid movement. She rummaged amongst the pieces of parchment and then pulled out some blank sheets and a piece of charcoal.

The night was beautiful. The moon hung low like a silver penny in the inky blue sky. Its light turned the snow a brilliant white and picked out the edge of every ripple and wave in the small stream. Opposite her the thick trees stood in a stark and contrasting darkness. Even with her keen vision it was hard to see much beyond the first row of sentries to the secrets beyond. The gentle breeze occasionally forced them to break their granite postures as it rushed between them and disturbed the pine needles like a mother might ruffle her child's hair.

The whole atmosphere filled Brenna with an innate sense of serenity. Her head bent over her page and she began to draw.

• Cheer
Reactions: Gylfi Runarsson
Like most nights, Gylfi joined the men that sat and told jokes and stories around the fire, but he never told any of his own. Even at the best of times, he would only let stifled chuckles escape. He would let those like Solveig be the life of the group.

As the others roared with laugher, Gylfi wore a wry smile and looked down at what little drink remained in his flagon. When he looked back up and his eyes scanned around, he noticed that his tiny Brenna was missing. They’d been on the journey for some time now, and were partway between the outpost and Kiringsaal.

As another story began, Gylfi bowed out from the circle and found a trail of small footprints that winded towards the trees. He left the nearly-empty flagon behind.

She didn’t go far. The laughter and voices were still loud and clear, the light from the campfire flickered off the trees. Behind them, shadows from the leafless branches reached out like the limbs of some terrifying creature. It vaguely reminded him of the thin monsters they encountered at the outpost.

Brenna had become rather absorbed in her drawing when Gylfi caught up to her. Curiously, and without alarming her, the tall young man approached her back and crouched, hugging his knees against his chest while he looked over Brenna’s shoulder.

Though she’d just started, it amazed him how she could draw so well. Gylfi remained there, still as a rock, and watched over her shoulder for a considerable amount of time as she continued drawing.

• Love
Reactions: Brenna
The wind graciously brought to her the scent of delicate flowers twinged with grime from their time on the road. Her lips lifted slightly at the corner as she breathed it in but she didn't raise her head to greet her Grumpy Bear. Unlike Sol who sought her out when she vanished for the evening to try to tempt her back to the warmth of the fire, Gylfi was always content to let her continue what she was doing in relative silence. Besides, the light was so perfect she daren't move in case the Gods spited her disregard for the perfect night they had painted for her. So as he came to crouch behind her, his presence like a weighted blanket against her back, she continued in her work.

Her charcoal flew across the page and occasionally she would glance up at the landscape in front of her, smudge out something and go over it with a firmer, bolder line. At one point or other she had reached up to brush a wispy of blonde hair behind her ear and had accidentally smeared the black soot across her cheek. The minutes trickled by until finally she sat up and held the drawing out in front of her critically. It wasn't the perfect capture of the scene in front of her proper, but it captured the essence. The shadows of the forest writhed with the promise of monsters and adventure, the moon shone against the pool of the sky like a faeries pearl, and the river which appeared calm in reality took on a life in her drawing where she had picked out every little splash, wave and weave.

Content with her work Brenna turned it and her haunting blue gaze finally to Gylfi for his opinion.

• Love
Gylfi hunched over further and rested his chin between his knees, his bestial yellow eyes closely tracking every stroke of charcoal over the paper. He was queerly entertained by the small lapses in drawing, peeking up to take in her surroundings, watching her nose wrinkle as she corrected minor, insignificant errors.

His shoulders tensed as she suddenly held the paper out in front of her, then nearly shoved it in his face.

Gylfi subtly reeled back, then squinted at the sketch. He gently took it, so as to not wrinkle the paper, and held it close to his face. He stared at it a while before lowering it, exposing a toothy grin.

He roughly signed perfect at her.

• Love
Brenna's returning smile transformed her whole face, lighting it up from the inside with a glow as warm as a summers sun, before she took back the drawing and gently folded it away into her collection. There were sketches of all sorts of things in the growing bundle; a rabbit on its hind quarters as it listened to a far off noise, a half finished portrait of Sol laughing, one of Mika walking across the snow, and another of Hugi's helmet discarded next to his pile of armour. They were tiny snapshots of the groups journey, each one a moment and a memory she could remember as clear as day.

Your Signs are getting better.

It was a truth, he was less jagged with them now. Rough still yes, but by the end of the trip she was confident he would feel more at ease with them. She gently reached out and ran a finger down the braid he still had in his hair and then smiled to herself. It had been done absentmindedly but she thought it suited him. She let her hand drop and then tapped at a clean sheet of parchment then pointed to him.

Can I draw you?

Gylfi didn’t hide his amazement at the sketches, yellows eyes ablaze with excitement as he picked up the half-done portrait of Solveig to look at it closer.

Brenna caught his attention, and he watched her sign with a small smile on his face.

“I have a good teacher,” he signed along.

He tracked her finger as it traced over the small braid that hung down the side of his face. Truthfully, he’d liked it. It reminded him of his younger sisters that would play with his hair all the time, jealous that despite him being a man, his hair was fuller and smoother than theirs.

“Draw me?” He tried to hide his excitement. It failed. He nodded, suppressing a smile.

• Love
A faint blush painted itself across her cheeks at his compliment. For a moment she felt a pang for the children she had left behind in Faarin. The way of the sword called to her but she had still enjoyed her time in the classroom and the joy on all of their faces as they received praise for a job well done, and their little gifts of paper bears they had lined up on her desk. Such sweet innocence was far away from her current road.

Standing, she took his hands in her own and pulled him to his feet. Her face was the definition of excitement as she half skipped half stepped backwards towards the river and then directed him to a large rock. The light was as perfect as she had thought it would be if someone were to sit there. Motioning for him to stay she quickly retrieved her equipment and then came to sit in front of him but slightly to the left so that the moon sat behind him.

Try not to look too Grumpy

She gave him a playful smile before her hand began to work its way across the page.

Grumpy? Gylfi frowned as she sat him down. How was he supposed to sit? Was there a certain way? The towering, vicious young man stiffly sat on the rock at first. Though, as he watched Brenna engross herself in the drawing, he relaxed. His posture shifted to something much more natural, and even a faint smile drew across his features.

They hadn't many opportunities for peaceful moments like this. It seemed they were always on the move, always dealing with one issue after another. To watch the small, young woman focus so intensely on the drawing reminded him of his sisters.

For the first time, the desire to speak with Brenna burned in him. Where did she come from? What was her home like? Her parents? Did she do other things aside from drawing?

Though many questions came, he sat in silence and let her finish the drawing.

• Bless
Brenna smeared a smudge of charcoal across her forehead when she brushed a tendril of blonde hair from her face and examined the work in front of her. She was definitely her own worst critic for she frowned and rubbed at a bit here, added something else there, then pondered for what seemed like a lengthy time before finally turning it round to show him. She needn't have been so harsh on herself. It was as though the young girl had stolen his soul and laid it out on the parchment in front of her. The drawn moonlight highlighted the exact point the tension eased from his body and the way a smile flirted with his face.

Despite that her drawing was a series of contrasting harsh lines that built up the picture of strength the man carried about him even when relaxed and enjoying himself. There would be no mistaking him in her drawing as a man who smiled often. It was quite the opposite and came across as though the moment was a rare one. A flicker of a different layer not often shared with outsiders.

"You like?" Bre tilted her head slightly and asked aloud shyly.

• Love
Gylfi moved from the large rock and crouched to look at the drawing. His eyes flicked between the paper and Brenna.

"It is amazing! Did I really look like that?" Slackjawed, he stared at the paper again. "It is almost impossible to believe."

Even if he had wanted, he wouldn't have been able to suppress his grin. The towering young man hugged his knees and rocked where he sat, his large frame threatening to burst with excitement. Without warning, Gylfi pinched a small clump of snow between his thumb and finger and brushed the two smudges of charcoal from Brenna's face.

Messy, he signed with a playful smile.

• Love
Her eyes followed his lips like one might follow words on a page. As his awe and exclamations grew so did Bre's smile until it practically split her face in two. Even the moon looked a little dimmer in comparison. She drew as a way of relaxing but it was so much more rewarding when people she captured liked what she had done.

She was nodding in answer to his question when he suddenly smeared snow across her face. A small squeak came from the back of her throat and her nose scrunched up like a small rabbits as the cold touched her skin. Before she could ask why he provided the answer and her cheeks heated a little. Slowly she turned her blackened hands over then plunged them into the snow to wash them clean with a sheepish smile.

You can keep it if you like... she offered the page out to him. I'm sure I will have more chances to do some more of you on our journey.

• Love
Gylfi happily took it, and after looking at it again, carefully folded it and tucked it into a small pouch around his back. He pulled his cloak closed around him and stood up.

A hand peeked out from under his cloak. That would be nice. He smiled, then offered the same hand to help her up. “Let’s walk.”

• Popcorn
Brenna took his hand with a brilliant smile and let him hurl her to her feet. She put away all the bits of spare parchment and charcoal then canted her head towards the river. It was a nice view and it was also a good marker if they followed it making it easy enough to find their way back. Instead of keeping a whole of his hand she looped her arm through his so they could bundle together for warmth.

It is nice to see you smile.

She glanced up at him with an odd glint to her eyes.

So... you are a warrior? Have you seen many battles?

• Love
As the much smaller girl clung to his arm, Gylfi threw his cloak over her, covering all but her small head which peeked out from under the black garb.

Do not get used to it. Conveying sarcasm or humor through signs was still a challenge for Gylfi, so he could only hope the message was properly conveyed.

Trained, yes. Battles, none. Father was a great warrior. Trained me well. Best my age in Indeholm.

• Love
Indeholm?!

Brenna had been mid-laugh at his joke about smiling when she recognised the sign for the city. She had always wanted to visit the lands where the famous Nordenstrekkers were raised. Since her father had told her of the great horses she had always wanted to grow up to be worthy of a mount; only the best were granted one after all.

I've wanted to visit since my father told me about the Strekkers, Bre explained, I'm from Faarin - just a lot of fish up there, nothing exciting.

It was probably a lie but then what young person ever thought their hometown was exciting?

• Love
According to the Queen, you will. Indeholm, after all, would be their last stop on the journey. You can meet my sisters, too.

The same could be said for all Norden women, but his three younger sisters were headstrong, brave, and fierce. They were always a pain in his side since they learned to walk, but he loved them nonetheless.

I think you would get along with them. Younger than me, but they seem older sometimes. He smiled, and as he dropped his hand from signing, rubbed the top of Brenna's head.

• Love
Brenna felt a pang of sympathy for his sisters; being the youngest was hard work. She thought of Valthar when Gylfi rubbed her hair, messing it up, and shot him a playfully dark look.

Being a sister ages you dramatically.

She stuck her tongue out for good measure before smiling. This was far nicer, talking to him in this way without worrying about saying something wrong or bumping into him and causing a spike in his temper. He had seem far more relaxed since they had fought together.

What were you doing up in Nordengaard?

"My father can't travel like he used to," Gylfi frowned, Delivering furs for him. He was, anyway, until he got roped up into this mess.

Respected by friends and feared by enemies, Runars Fjalarson was apparently a renowned warrior in his heyday. Gylfi was young but old enough to remember the accident that had taken his first mother and leg of his father. It was something he deeply regretted, the memory.

What is your home like?

• Popcorn
Cold, Brenna shot him a smirk. Faarin was further North than even Nordengaard and it was the last big stop before the frozen wastelands of the rest of the Tundra.

It is pleasant enough. The Sanctuary is beautiful, The legendary area that Faarin was supposedly built to protect and care for the Pale Kings Herd. It fed the rest of the Nordenfiir population and Bre was honoured to be a cadet in the forces.

My mum kind of lost her mind when I had my accident, she motioned to her ears, and then when dad died. Then she thought Valthar dead too and she had been ill for the past two years now, a frown touched her brow. Her mother would be livid to find out she was on this expedition. So I have just been taking care of her mostly, this is the first real adventure I've been on. I'd only even been as far as Nordengaard before.

“The world is massive,” Gylfi looked forward, as if trying to see what was past the trees, mountains, and snow. My father told me stories of the Summerlands. I want to see them.

He never knew if he would manifest a Svalen. Before this, he’d never left his home. Of course, he threw a fit at first. He’d also nearly thrown a fit with the Queen when she said he would join her on the journey.

Though, and especially since bonding more with Brenna, he saw it as an opportunity to grow. See more. Learn more.

“Have you ever felt that-” he looked down at his ward and met her gaze, “-you don’t belong somewhere? Or anywhere?”

• Love
Brenna grimaced at his question and, for perhaps the first time since meeting him, actually lost her smile. She knew far more than he could possibly understand. It had taken her years of her life to be able to even talk to her family let alone the people of her town, and outside of it? She rubbed at her arms a little self consciously and then squeezed her right bicep as if hugging herself as tight as possible. Eventually she nodded.

I cannot even talk to most of my people... I can see what you say - what they say - but they cannot hear me. It is like being stuck outside in a storm looking in at a warm fire but not being able to find the door.

The signs helped, but even then so much meaning was lost unless someone knew every subtle shift, every little nuance, and even then Bre had her own slight 'accent' as the priests had called it.

• Bless
Gylfi frowned and wrapped his arm around Brenna, pulling her closer to his side under the cloak in a silent gesture of comfort. He understood what it felt like to be distant from others. Different circumstances, of course, but he knew.

He pressed his thumb against her pink nose and signed, I hear you. Why don’t we turn and face the storm? I don’t need a fire or shelter.

Gylfi gave her a childish, toothy grin and rubbed his large hand on her head.

• Bless
And, just like that, the sun returned. As he scooped her into a giant hug Bre found herself unable to do anything but laugh and forget about the drearier subject they had been discussing. When he ruffled her hair she gave a small growl and shoved him in a playful manner.

I suppose when you are built like a brick shithouse storms don't bother you much. The man was enormous and she couldn't quite believe that he was younger than her. He dwarfed even Valthar and, though her memories of her father were from when she was little, she thought he would have dwarfed him too.

Why don't you tell me more about your sisters?

Brick shithouse?!

Gylfi pouted and pinched Brenna’s cheek, lightly tugging it. She wasn’t wrong by any means. Her light, playful shove hadn’t disrupted his balance even a bit.

They are the daughters of my second mother. A lot like my father, in terms of appearance and how they act. I take after my mother. His hand lingered for a moment. A fleeting frown flashed across his features before he continued. They are smart. Good at anything they do. Scary at times. I thought I would have to look after them, but the opposite happened. Always climbed on me, even after they started growing big.

He frowned again. Smiled. You would like them.

I miss them.

• Bless
They sound like fun. Brenna signed after laughing at his description of them. It seemed as though it was a trait amongst the Norden for sisters to end up taking care of their brothers, even if they were bigger. She thought of Valthar and her own relationship and how close they had been growing up. He had always wanted a quiet life and she the one full of adventure. Even after her accident had rendered her unable to pick up a sword for quite some time it had still been her taking care of him in other ways.

When I bumped into you in the Mead Hall was the first time I had seen my brother in just over three years. I went to take the Path and when I came back I was told he had disappeared in a fight when the demons came. They thought he was dead but... I knew... I just knew I would feel something more if he were gone.