Private Tales Broken Compacts

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Cal did not move an inch once Orlaith fell asleep, though he did not follow her into the dream immediately.

Instead he lay awake.

He thought about his life, what had brought him here, what he would do now...what he would do next. A year ago he had thought he would be an Inquisitor. Two Years ago he had been determined to restore his families honor.

Now? Now he just wanted to get this one woman away from the nightmare that he had supported all his life. It would not make up for his crimes, but it would be something.

His head turned, eyes grazing over her form for a few moments. It would be something.

Cal thought to himself as he too drifted off into sleep.

By the time they woke up in the morning the snow had stopped falling, the fire was but small cinders, and the mantic had laid itself across the opening of the strange rock hut. Cal was still asleep, his arm wrapped around Orlaith's belly. A surprising amount of warmth remained beneath the fur blanket, and even in the air around them.

Sunlight cast down upon them as dawn broke.

• Cthuulove
Reactions: Órlaith
There was no plague of nightmare nor memories that night. Despite being hunted in the wilderness, she felt safe enough to rest soundly and she stuck close to him for warmth. The rosy hue of sunlight grew brighter on her face and she groaned quietly, too comfortable to allow the day to wake her.

Still half asleep, she pulled his arm around her a little tighter and let a deep breath fill her lungs and tumble from her lips, but as the light filtered in, so too did her consciousness and realisation. Her grip loosened and she cleared her throat, glancing back at him with a lazy smile and a grumble of "Good morning."

• Popcorn
Reactions: Cal
Cal stirred slightly, shifting against her for a moment as sleep retreated and his mind folded back into consciousness.

Eyes still remained closed as he let out a quiet yawn, stifled by the thick fur of her cloak. "Good Morning."

It was a second after he said the words that Cal realized suddenly how he was positioned. The noble froze for a second, cheeks turning crimson as he drew in a breath and very slowly began to move his arm from around Orlaith's belly.

"I uhh.." He began. "Slept well."

Cal commented as he drew himself up a bit.

• Ctuhlu senpai
She gave an awkward laugh under her breath and nodded in agreement as she sat herself up and stretched with a groan. "Hm, me too." she grinned, rubbing the sleep from her face and yawning against the back of her wrist..

"So.." she slapped her hands against her thighs. "Cake for breakfast?.." her brows waggled. She wasn't sure if there was a better distraction than cake, and if there was she hadn't tried it yet.

• Cthuulove
He chuckled. "Sure, along with some hard tack."

As much as Orlaith might want to believe it, cake was not a substitution for the nutrition one would require to actually make it over the Spine.

Glancing around for a moment he pulled the fur blanket off of himself and pulled another log gathered the previous night onto the fire. Before long a flame flickered back into life, and Cal pulled out some of the rations he had purchased...along with the cake.

"I think we'll reach the foothills today." He said as he placed the foot in front of her, dragging out the map from his coat too. "Which means we have to decide which way we want to go."

There were three options from what he could tell.

• Cthuloo
Órlaith's nose wrinkled. She'd tried real food now, she knew what it tasted like. hard tack was sustenance, but it wasn't real food. "Mh.." she grumbled with a shrug and smirked at him.

She shuffled a little closer to the fire now that she didn't have him wrapped around her, and she settled close to him to pour over the map and consider their options. "Which way seems less likely to kill us?.." she asked with a glance at him before she reached for the pack with the food in it and rummaged for breakfast.

• Wonder
He glanced at her for a moment, smiling as he stuck some of the hard tack into his mouth. It half hung from his lips as he spoke.

"There's this path here." He pointed towards the south. "Seems to go through a Valley...It would be longer, but there's a few villages along the way."

He frowned. "Trouble with that, if there's a storm it's likely we get stuck for a few weeks."

Not something that would help them escape, though if the snow was bad enough it also meant that anyone hunting them would be slowed to a crawl.

"There's this way to the north, takes us along a mountain path but...it I can only guess at what a hike that would be." It seemed to almost go directly into the mountains straight up, and then down. Fast but difficult.

Cal chewed on his food for a moment as he frowned, finally pointing to the last path.

"Then this one...it's marked weird...but I think it means it goes underneath the mountains." He motioned to how the line 'through' the Spine on that map seemed to turn into a series of dots rather than a straight line. "Caves, or maybe an old Dwarf Trade road."

He'd heard of those before.

• Cthuloo
She licked her lips before taking a large bite of her cake, and she smiled at him with a face full of frosting as she chewed. "Hm.." she chuckled and brushed it from her nose as she followed his finger about the map.

Her brows rose and she studied the underground path.. "It would give us more shelter from the elements at least. Do we have enough food to last us the journey?.." she asked, clearing her throat as she'd already half devoured the cake, and she swiped the crumbs sheepishly from the map..

• Bless
Reaching into the inside of his coat Cal pulled free a handkerchief. On the bottom of it was a monogram of his families emblem, a coat of arms that was as old as the Tribunal itself. At least that was what his father had always told him.

"Here." He said as he offered it to her, not being so bold as to get the mess off of her face himself.

"There's another village right in the foothills, we would have to buy more there." He told her. "Going beneath the mountains though..."

Cal frowned. He had heard a dozen rumor, stories. The Dwarves might have built cities and holds all across the Spine, but they were not the only things that lived within or under the mountains. Still, it was better than getting stuck in a valley for a month or falling off a cliff. "I think you're right, it's probably the best way."

• Ctuhlu senpai
"Oh.. Thank you." she mused, her lips twisting as she suppressed a grin and lifted the handkerchief to wipe the crumbs and frosting from her face. "Sorry.. I suppose you're used to those tidy, noble ladies.." she said in a dramatic tone. It occurred to her that she was supposed to be one of those ladies, had she not been treated lower than the peasantry, perhaps she'd have better learned about manners and such.

Órlaith smiled as they were agreed on the best course, and she studied the coat of arms on the piece of fabric in her hands, her fingertips tracing over it. "Does my father have one of these?..." she asked with a brief frown.

• Popcorn
"I don't mind." He told her. "Just don't want it to get frozen to your face."

Near the fire it was warm enough, but when they got going for the day the Temperatures would likely drop once again. The thought of Orlaith running around with Frosting on her face for the next few days was an amusing one, but he thought better of it.

His smile thinned a bit when she asked of her father. "He does."

Cal said with a nod of his head.

"All the old noble families have them." All those who were already in Rhagos when the Tribunal fell. Those who were ennobled by the Council after were not allowed a coat of arms. An old and ancient tradition.

• Thoughtful
"Hm.." she nodded thoughtfully as she looked over his family crest, her mind drifting for a moment before she pulled in a deep breath and offered it back to him.

"So, we're settled then. Beneath the mountain it is." she nodded firmly, and got to her feet to start packing away their things. "I suppose we should get a move on."

• Bless
"Keep it." Cal told her with a smile.

The joy touched his eye for a few seconds, his fingers curling around hers so that she could not deny him. Before she could even object Cal stood up, following her lead just a second later and drawing himself away.

He quickly rolled up the blanket and bedroll, quickly setting about clearing the camp in the same manner that he had the last few days. No trail was to be left behind, no mark that they had ever been here. If anyone followed them, they would find the shortest lead.

At least he hoped so. "Bundle up."

He told her as he settled the Mantic with the last of their things.

"It's going to be cold." Colder than it had been, and he could not keep his concern for her free from his voice.

• Cthuulove
Órlaith smiled to herself as she tucked the little handkerchief into her pocket, and she took his advice in layering up under her coat, and pulling her fur hood up and knotted it tightly around her neck.. She was still warm enough from sleep, and hopefully it would be a few hours before the cold started seeping into her muscles.

She wandered out into the open to watch the gentle snowfall, her gaze wandering across the untouched, fresh new page that awaited them and her lips curled at the silence that seemed to fall with each feathered crystal. She watched their descent for a moment of calm and clarity, their chaotic flight to form a blanket that could not be more uniform, more orderly. Yet for some their destination was to come to her hand, to alight upon her ungloved palm and let her warmth be their spring melt. She blinked thoughtfully as the frost patiently kissed her face, captivated by the soft, dusty illusions of light that sat heavy on her eyelashes. She adored the snow, more so when it was falling.

She breathed, and turned back to take his hand and climb up onto the back of the mantic, and she held onto him as usual. This time though she smirked shyly at his back as she tightened her grip, ready to set off.

Just as he had said, their trek was cold, so cold that Cal had to slow the Mantic just so his fingers didn't freeze off. Even with his gloves on the press of the wind was harsh, and after a few hours as the mountains drew closer and closer Cal had to slow them to a trot.

"M-maybe we find some shelter." He stuttered out.

A sparse forest had come into being around them, though it was interwoven with massive boulders and rollings hills that quickly grew into cliff like spires. Ahead of them still lay the Spine itself, but it was clear they had entered the mountains now.

At least an echo of it. "I'm f-fre-freezing."

He shivered, even with all of his own layers and the warmth of Orlaith laying across his back.

Cal needed a break, a fire for just a little while.

Even though such a thing was the worst of ideas...with the Rhagosian Signal Eagle circling slowly in search over head.

• Nervous
Reactions: Kaius
Órlaith shivered against him and quickly nodded at his suggestion. She'd been freezing for miles, and now everything ached from shaking and her hands and feet were numb. "Me too.." she muffled against his coat and peeked up to look around for some sort of shelter.

She patted his shoulder and pointed to where the rocks huddled together, the largest of which had what seemed like the mouth of a cave that looked just about large enough to keep the cold wind and snow off of their backs.

• Popcorn
He nodded his head, shivering still and pulling on the reigns to lead the Mantic over towards the cavern that Orlaith had pointed out.

The rocky outcropping seemed to be part of a larger cliff face surrounded by a sparse few trees. The cavern half hidden beneath the boulders that seemed to have fallen from the top of the outcropping. Cal glanced up for a brief second, just missing the Eagle to the left as he watched for any boulders that might be a danger.

"I'll g-get the firewood." He told Orlaith as he slipped off of the Mantic.

A cold wind rushed down off the spine, throwing itself over them and creating a dour cold that settled in ones bones. "G-get the blanket. T-t-tent."

Cal said through chattering teeth.

• Stressed
"Mh.." she nodded, her body rigid with cold as she slipped down into the snow. She rubbed her hands together until she could feel them again before she unpacked the saddle and set up the tent to provide a little more shelter by the rocks. She kicked away a small patch of snow to let him set up the fire, and unpacked the bed rolls and blankets.

Órlaith pulled one of the blankets around her, leaving enough room for him to pull it around him too. She glanced up at the flash of movement through the trees, noticing the eagle, but she didn't think it worth mentioning. Perhaps, if she wasn't freezing to death she'd have commented, but for now her teeth only chattered as she waited on him.

• Popcorn
Cal quickly dropped the firewood onto the ground, gathering enough for a few hours.

A part of him thought perhaps they would not be traveling further today, and thus he'd gathered a little extra for the night. Though the snow had stopped the cloud above were still gray, at least enough so to conceal the warmth of the sun.

His hands shook as he struck the flint for the flame, Cal shivering so much as he lit their fire that a joyous laugh broke from his lips the moment he saw the light. "Thank fuck."

Cal swore quietly under his breath, pulling himself back and practically grabbing Orlaith to slip beneath the blanket and drag her close to the fire.

"B-beneath was the right call." He said as he pulled her a bit closer, a cold hand brushing her skin as he smiled at her.

• Cthuulove
Órlaith echoed his laugh at the sight of the fire, getting as close to him as she could as he joined her in the blankets. The heat stung at her face and hands as she huddled closer to the fire, her teeth latching on to her lower lip as she bathed in the warmth.

"Mhmm.." she let out a shuddered chuckle and returned his smile. She was growing used to being close to him now, sort of, and she studied him for a moment before resting her head down on his shoulder and pulling the blankets tight around them..

"Just imagine, you're I-in a w-warm bath..H-hot water all ar-round you.." she let out a shaky breath and closed her eyes. "I c-could make you believe that, I-if it didn't hurt so m-much." she frowned.

• Cthuulove
The warmth of the fire was sparse, but as they drew closer together beneath the fur blanket he couldn't help but feel a little bit warmer.

One arm wrapped around her, holding her tight as the other softly wrapped around her fingers and squeezed them. It was warmth, barely, but it was there. The Tent helped, keeping some of the heat in even as the wind pushed up against it's canvas. "I-i-t's alright."

He said.

"I-I-I..." Cal clamped his teeth shut for a moment, taking a breath of cold air to try and wrest some control back. "I'd rather be here with you anyway."

The noble said as he looked at her with a smile.

Briefly he wondered if there was a way to remove that mark from her flesh, that pang of guilt running through him once again as she mentioned the pain.

• Cthuulove
His answer warmed her in itself and her rose blushed cheeks dimpled with a bright smile as she looked up at him. Every day with him was something new, whether it was food or a soft bed, conversation or kindness. Nobody had ever wanted her company, let alone someone like him, or at least, the someone he was supposed to be. He was nothing like them.

She squeezed back at his hand and pressed a kiss against his cheek before cuddling back into him. "You're s-sweet Cal.." she sighed, and slowly soaked in the warmth, from the fire, from him.. from how happy she felt despite how cold she was.

"Damn eagles circling probably waiting to pick our flesh from our bones out here.." she laughed under her breath..

• Stressed
It was a strange feeling, this protectiveness. In his youth he'd never thought he would care about anything but his own joys. That had been beaten out of him by his father. As he'd grown things had changed, and he'd come to care more for honor, reputation, thos things.

Now? Now he found himself caring for this little mage. Wanting to see her safe, happy. It was strange, and not a path he ever would have thought for himself. Despite that, he couldn't help but enjoy it. Cal was about to open his mouth to speak when she mentioned something.

He froze for a second, his features paling.

"E-eagle?" Shit. "W-what kind?"

Surely a coincidence. The Spine had to have eagles, birds of all sorts. "Were the feathers on it's tail r-red?"

• Thoughtful
Órlaith looked up at him and glanced up at the sky again. She couldn't see it any more, but her gaze narrowed as she summoned the memory to the forefront of her mind and she nodded slowly. "I think so.." she answered. "W-why? What sort are th-those?.." she shuddered with a small smile.

• Stressed
Cal glanced at the cavern, then at the mantic, then at Orlaith.

His fingers froze over her hand in an instant and his teeth chattered. Panic struck through him for a few seconds, his entire body racing with goosebumps until he forced a measure of calm to run over his body. "I-it's them."

He said quietly. "They use the eagles to scout."

Cal had a thousand thoughts run through his mind, a hundred different ideas. He looked at the Mantic, then towards Orlaith, then at the cave behind them.

"Grab what you can from the Mantic." He told her. "Everything you think you can carry for long."

They would have to leave some things behind, but they could take the blankets, one of the sleeping mats, food, and the tent. It would be enough.

It would have to be.