Private Tales Broken Compacts

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
After a moment of confusion, Órlaith smirked at his teasing. Things like humour and sarcasm weren't all too common, but she understood them well enough and she rolled her eyes. "You know what I mean.."

She stretched and wrapped her blanket around her, curling close to the fire to watch it as he spoke, conjuring the images of what she imagined in the flames. The thought of being entirely lost in a city where nobody cared should have been terrifying, but to Órlaith it was soothing and she smiled dreamily.

"Maybe I'll see it some day.." she smirked, but the mirth didn't meet her eyes this time. "I've hardly seen my own city.. Not that I have any desire to. But I could always hear the festivals. It was nice to imagine that they were good people." she nodded slowly.

"I would just.. like to belong somewhere. Somewhere nobody knows me or cares who I am, or what I am. I want a simple life, with a simple house. I want to go to the market and buy sweet breads and fruits that I've never tried. Feel sand on my feet, the sun on my skin.." she frowned and shrugged.

Silly dreams for a silly girl.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Cal
Cal smiled at the dream, the simplicity of it.

He had never been introduced to small dreams, not really. Everything had always been about bigger, more. Regaining the family honor, taking back what was theirs, becoming 'great' once again. His father had wanted them to be something more, not...simple.

There was something inherently charming about the idea though. Cal could well understand the lure of it, the thought of finding a place for himself in this world that was beyond politics, beyond wealth, beyond the confines of the life his father had set for him.

"One day." He told her firmly, a smile flickering across his lips.

A pop from the fire echoed as he continued.

"One day you can have that." Across the mountain, through the Wylds, over open plains. Far beyond any reach of Rhagos, where even the Inquisitors had not tread. That was where he would take her.

So she could have that life.

• Bless
Reactions: Órlaith
Trust was a difficult thing to come by, belief in peace even less so, and yet as he smiled at her with his promises, she allowed herself to feel soothed by them, whether she believed them possible or not.

"One day." she repeated with a light smirk across the fire at him, letting her eyes linger for a moment in thought before she let her shoulders rise and fall with a sigh.. "I think I'm warm enough to manage a few more miles.. Perhaps we might reach the mountains before nightfall." her brow quirked and she turned to lift her gaze toward the snowy peaks.

• Popcorn
Cal nodded his head.

He doubted that they would reach the edge of the forest today, but they could make some progress still. Two or three more days was what he figured, and then they would follow a road to the north. It would lead them further from Rhagos, and hopefully let them happen upon a village.

"Get another layer." Cal reminded her as he quickly reached over and knocked over the flames. He cast sand over the embers, digging up some of the earth and throwing it over where the fire had been just seconds ago.

The heat was instantly snuffed out, but he wouldn't take the chance of anyone getting on their trail. "It's only going to get colder."

Cal said as he made his way back over towards the Mantic.

She nodded and pushed herself to her feet, taking off her jacket and rummaging through the clothes she'd 'borrowed' from his mother's wardrobe, and she pulled on another two layers before slipping the coat back on and fastening it tightly around her and pulling up the fur lined collar and hood.

"Better.." she smirked, barely able to move now, but at least she didn't feel like she was on the verge of freezing to death. She pulled herself back up onto the Mantic and wrapped her arms around his waist once again to brace for the jolt and tousled journey she was quickly becoming accustomed to.

• Popcorn
As he'd thought it was another two days before they reached the edge of the forest.

On the last Cal slowed the mantic to a steady walk instead of it's sprinting run, deciding that it was best not to look like they were on the run from something in case they encountered Hunters or foragers. The temperature had dropped too as he predicted, and when they came out of the forest at sundown one could see why.

A massive open plain sat before them, stretching outward for miles upon miles until they finally reached the towering mountains of the spine.

One could see them clearly now, even though they were well over a weeks travel away. They stretched into the heavens and beyond the clouds, their sides illuminated by the light cascading over them from the west. Cal took a breath at the sight.

"That's going to be some climb." He said quietly as the Mantic stepped onto a worn dirt road.

Travelling was tiring business. The cold had made it's way into her bones again, and as Cal slowed the mantic's pace, Órlaith stole the opportunity to bury her face against his back and close her eyes for a little while. By the time she opened them again there was no longer forest ahead of them, and her sleepy eyes blinked at the frigid expanse ahead of them and then upward across the mountains. They loomed ever closer, and yet Órlaith could not understand why they never seemed to reach the base.

The great, rocky giants stood like a bold declaration of just how small and insignificant humans were, they had stood for centuries before and would stand for centuries more long after she and Cal were both gone from this world. They had a way of making her worries feel petty and inconsequential, and she couldn't help but smile at them. Until Cal spoke, that was.

"Climb?..." she answered, her voice gritty with sleep and cold. "Surely there is a road, a mountain pass.. I, I don't know how to climb that." her brows rose. Órlaith turned to look around in every direction, her brow furrowing as she shivered.. "We're too exposed.. We need somewhere safe to rest.." preferably an inn with a roaring hearth and a hot bath, she thought.

"Figure of speech." Cal assured her, patting her arm gently in a comforting motion.

"There's a few ways over, and under." Though he was somewhat weary of the latter. There were dwarf holds and ancient fortresses, but...well Cal knew almost next to nothing about them. The roads above seemed safer than those below. "We just have to figure out which to take."

Cal told Orlaith, nodding a few seconds later as she spoke of somewhere to rest.

The cold was setting in, and without the trees guarding them the wind seemed to sweep down off the mountains and directly onto them. Cal hunched himself over a bit more, pulling himself together and gathering a bit more warmth.

"look for lights." He told Orlaith. "There's gotta be a village somewhere around here."

He hoped anyway.

Órlaith nodded against his back, assured for now that they'd make it across the mountain spine safely. All she could think about was warmth. The wind was picking up, bringing with it a fresh blizzard that cut through her back like knives. She held onto him, trying to keep them both warm, and she tried not to groan at the aching in her muscles from the shivering.

The sun plummeted, leaving the snowy sky a deep shade of ominous red, and in the snow it was difficult to make out much else around them for a time, until finally it settled and a few lights flickered somewhere in the distance. She tapped Cal's shoulder and pointed toward them.

"Are you sure it'll be safe?" she asked.. "If they're looking for us, they might check there.."

It wasn't like they had much other choice. "We should get our stories straight."

• Popcorn
Though Cal nodded his head in agreement, it was a good idea to get their stories straight...well to come up with a story at all.

He mused for a second, glancing back at Orlatih for a moment. "We're newlyweds. Headed to my families farm in the north on the Gulf of Ryt."

That would be a story as believable as any.

"I don't think we'll have to worry about any Inquisitors." They had made almost a direct line from his estate to here through the forest. Anyone else would have to go all the way around, a trip that would be thrice as long. "It's wanted posters we'll have to look out for."

He glanced back at her again.

"Can you change your hair?" At least put it in a different style, or perhaps they could steal her a hat.

Newlyweds..

Órlaith grinned despite the cold and managed a husky laugh as she nodded. "Alright, dear husband. My name is Sarah.." she smiled. It'd been her mother's name. She supposed it would be unwise to use her own name, in case anyone came asking questions, in case they already had done. "And yours would be?.."

Her brow furrowed now with the added anxiety of wanted posters, and she bit on her lip as she considered cutting her hair. It fell below her shoulders in dark waves, and though her hood was up, there were still a few unruly tresses that peeked out. She rubbed the numbness from her fingers and slipped the hood back to scoop her hair up and into a knot, and pulled the hood back up. It would have to do for now.

"Do..You have coin? I doubt anyone will give us anything for nothing.." she frowned as they got closer to the snow quilted buildings..

• Smug
"Tulio." It was a Cortosi name, but one that he had always liked. He had first heard it when his nanny had read him the story of an Adventurer by that name. For some reason it had always stuck with Cal since then.

As they came closer he nodded his head. "A few."

His families wealth had all but disappeared, yet there were odd 'tiers' when it came money. Most of what he owned would still put him in a class above...well probably this entire village. The silverware he had used to trade for supplies and the mantic had earned him a bit of coin too.

Though it would not go much farther than this village and perhaps two beyond.

Lights began to glow around them as they moved into the square, Cal looking around in search of an Inn. A few people glanced up at them, but most seemed to keep to themselves.

Eventually he spotted a sign, what appeared to be a mountain holding a mug of ale. "Charming."

He said quietly as he slipped from the Mount and held up a hand to Orlaith.

"My darling wife, let me help you." It was probably a bit much, but newlyweds often fawned over one another. He thought it a nice touch.

• Haha
"Tulio.." she repeated, her lips twisting as she peeked over his shoulder to cast her hazel eyes over the village with curiosity and hesitance. She followed his gaze to the sign and sighed deeply.. "If my eyes weren't frozen I might cry.." she laughed under her breath and looked down at his offered hand.

She stared at him for a moment. His words amused her, at least on the surface, but there was a stirring sadness deep in her chest as she tried to adapt to the role, to a life that wasn't hers, one that normal people lived. It was probably best not to look terrified to take his hand, and so she smiled and took it, allowing him to help her down and she landed with a crunch in the fresh snowdrift.

"Thank you my love." she countered and glanced around, taking in her surroundings from ground level, subconsciously tightening her grip on his hand. She flinched as a scrawny young man appeared in the porch of the inn and called to them.

"Good evening', travellers. Will you be stayin' with us? We have a few rooms available. I'd be happy to shelter your.." he looked to the mantic which stared back at him.. "Beast." The boy smiled, and Órlaith eased a little and looked to Cal..

• Thoughtful
Cal nodded his head. "Aye."

There was no need to reveal who they were just yet, the boy had no reason to know. From his pocket he dug out a small copper coin, flipping it towards the lad. It wasn't much, but enough that he looked at it with a beaming smile.

"Make sure she's well taken care of." Cal said as he patted the mantic's side and pulled the saddlebags off of her. He slung them over his shoulder, then gently pushed on the small of Orlaith's back to urge her towards the Inn.

As soon as they stepped through the door warmth cascaded over them, a huge hearth burning on one side of the room while mostly empty tables lay strewn in between.

Before Cal could even look around a portly woman rushed over to him.

"Hello there dearies! Are ye looking for a room? Everyone's welcome at the tipsy mountain. I'm sure you must be tired, please please grab a seat."​

The woman grabbed their shoulders and practically threw them towards a table.

• Cthuloo
She'd been in the cold for so long that she audibly groaned a sound of delight as the warmth of the tavern washed over her. The joy of it threatened to bring her to tears, and she decided that she never wanted to leave this place again.

Órlaith had never been greeted in her life the way the woman welcomed them, and she couldn't help but stare, lapsed into a silence of shock and confusion. She stumbled a little as the woman directed them to a table, and she fell into the cushioned armchair, close enough to the hearth for the heat to kiss at her cheeks.

It was difficult to let herself relax right away, even as the heat thawed the icy cold from her muscles, her hazel eyes wandered around over each patron and cast over the walls in search of any posters with their faces on them. She couldn't see any, not from where they sat at least, and nobody else really seemed to be paying them any mind.

"Thank you..We would like a room, yes.." Órlaith answered hesitantly and slowly took down her hood.

• Popcorn
"Aye, please." Cal said, giving the woman a friendly smile.

He had stayed in places like this before on his trips, though this inn was unfamiliar to him. The woman nodded eagerly as Cal grabbed a few coins from his pocket. It was a Silver galleon, marked from Rhagos. He thought for a second, then nodded to himself.

"Where are you two from?"

Cal looked up at her as he held the coins, then smiled. "Little village outside Rhagos. Balleda."

The woman nodded with a wide grin.

"Lovely town that."

"Aye it is." He said with a smile. "Could we get two meals as well? Some wine?"

The woman nodded almost immediately as she saw the coin, grabbing it quickly and whisking herself away towards the kitchens.

Órlaith bit gently on her lip as she let Cal do the talking, only offering a warm smile each time the woman looked to her and offering a polite "Thank you.." as she went to get their meals and...wine.

"Feel so fancy." she sashayed her shoulders with a quiet chuckle to herself and lowered her voice.. "Thank you, Cal.. I hope I can pay you back some day." she smiled, holding his gaze as though to emphasise her gratitude.

She could smell all sorts of foods, and her stomach called for it eagerly. It wasn't long before the plates pf steaming hot food was brought out, roast chicken with potatoes, vegetables all drenched in gravy, and fluffy warm bread..

Now there really were tears in her eyes, and all she could do was stare at it.

• Popcorn
"Don't worry about it." What was left of his wealth would likely be confiscated in the coming months anyway.

The Inquisition was ruthless when it came to 'traitors'. They did not care for your crime, nor your convictions. To them all that mattered was that you paid. That payment could come in the form of your life or your property. In this case it was probably both.

Cal figured if he got Orlaith out, if he got her away...it would be worth it.

A sin attoned for, even if it was only a small one. "Well?"

He prompted.

"Dig in." Cal said with a smile, looking down at the meal and wondering how long someone had spent on it. He figured it would likely have taken a page or two just to describe how to make just the potatoes. "The wine seems good."

He said with surprise as he took a sip.

• Haha
His voice dragged her gaze from the plate and she grinned with a laugh under her breath, realising that she’d been staring at it. She slipped out of her coat and lifted the cutlery, trying her best to be as polite as she could despite how hungry she was, and how eager she was to try everything.

She sliced a tiny sliver of chicken and brought it to her lips, and her gaze widened as she chewed. She’d had chicken before, but it was a dry, grey meat that didn’t taste like anything at all. This? This tasted.

“Mh...” she groaned happily, slicing a little more, and soon she was stabbing her fork into roast potatoes, carrots, cabbage, and shoving it into her mouth amidst mumbles of “Oh Gods..”

She could die happy so long as she was allowed to finish this meal first. She audibly moaned as she chewed and she dragged her wrist across her lips with a look of apology.. “This is what you’ve been eating this whole time?...” she asked incredulously and swallowed.

The wine was also a new taste, one they caused her face to grimace at first, but it wasn’t long before she was on her second cup and using her bread to mop up the gravy.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Cal watched her with no small amount of wonderment, grinning from ear to ear as he saw the expression on her face shift through a whole different subset of emotions.

He could tell the joy on her face, the surprise, the bliss that seemed to run over her features as she bit down on one new piece of food or another. Cal couldn't keep the amusement from chuckling up a bit, his head shaking as she asked her question. "Suppose so."

There was a quiet joy in this.

The way that Orlaith reacted, the joy she took was almost infectious. Cal was almost weary that someone else would notice just how happy she was, his head half swiveling to make sure that no one was looking at her too closely.

"Take it easy o-" Cal's words died on his tongue as she all but swallowed an entire cup of wine. "Ah."

His head shook as he took his own bites.

• Smug
She stuffed the last of her bread into her mouth, the plate sparkling clean, and her eyes rose to Cal as he was still eating. Her cheeks warmed and she gave a sheepish chuckle.. "Sorry.." she cleared her throat, taking another long sip of her wine. Oh.... oh.

"How the other half live.." she mused and lifted her cup. She was thoroughly warmed, her belly full, her thirst quenched and her head felt pleasantly light already. And there was the prospect of a comfortable bed.

As she came to the end of her second cup, the friendly woman returned to pour her another, saying something about being a lass after her own heart but Órlaith didn't know what it meant and simply continued to drink. She wouldn't say she particularly enjoyed the taste of it, but she enjoyed how it seemed to warm her belly and ease her tension.

"I feel... floaty." she smiled at him with a deep sigh. "Y'know.. This might be. No. Not might. This is definitely, the best day of my life."

• Popcorn
Cal smiled, though he felt a slight pang of guilt as she mentioned this being the best day of her life.

A year ago he barely would have considered her a person, now the fact that a simple meal and a few glasses of wine were the greatest day of her life made him want to scream. He felt no small amount of disgust with himself, with Rhagos.

Lips thinned for a brief moment, but he wiped away the expression and returned to one that was more happy. "Wait until you sleep on a feather bed."

He told her with a smile.

"And eat bacon for breakfast." That was an essential component to enjoying life, enjoying freedom.

• Wonder
There was no hiding the positive delight in her eyes, the gold flecks amidst the browns and greens seeming to hold dominance and sparkle a little brighter. It felt strange to smile the way she did right now, it wasn't something she did very often, an occasion so rare that she could remember the very few times she had ever had reason to smile.

More wine was consumed. It tasted a little better with each sip.. "Never had bacon before.." she answered absently, and her head tipped back as she closed her eyes and grinned at the ceiling with a "Hmmmmmm.."

The portly woman returned to clear their plates away and refill their cups and she looked over Órlaith with a quiet smile and directed her words to Cal.. "First room at the top of the stairs is yours luvvy." she nodded, and had been about to turn away when Órlaith spoke up..

"Hey!..Hey..." she reached a hand out toward the woman to wave it in the air in case her words alone failed to grasp her attention. Her words had sufficed and the woman smiled at her expectantly, and so Òrlaith reached to pat pat at Cal's hand on the table before she gripped hold to it.

"This is my hhhusband.." she grinned drowsily. "We're married. I'm a wife." she slurred with a grin and chuckled to herself..

"Me!"

Last edited:
  • Haha
Oh dear. The thought rang through Cal's mind as he felt Orlaith's vice like grip pincer down onto his hand.

The instant she began to speak he knew that she had too much to drink. It was a moment of small horrors as he suddenly considered the thought that Orlaith might never have had wine before. His face paled slightly, and then his hand instantly came up to cover hers.

A laugh broke from his lips. "Sure are!"

Cal said jovially, leaning into Orlaith's side and gently drawing her a bit closer as he placed a peck on her cheek and smiled up at the portly innkeeper.

"Just married a few days ago, in fact!" He declared happily. The woman seemed to look at them, and then break out into a wide beaming smile.

"NEWLYWEDS! Well why didn't you say so! Let me get you some carrot cake, loves. On the house! No newlyweds should go without cake!"​

Before Cal could offer some sort of objection about needing to get Orlaith to bed the woman suddenly swept herself away. Moving with surprising speed and grace for a person of her side she disappeared into the Kitchen, Cal left somewhat stunned.

• Haha
Where a normal wife would have probably smiled softly in appreciation of a chaste kiss to her cheek, Órlaith blinked and her mouth gaped for a moment until the woman started gushing over them, and she remembered that a wife would be used to such things. Her cheeks had turned a furious pink.

Órlaith beamed, her face positively lit with glee as the woman declared that they would have cake, and free cake at that. She chuckled as she watched her leave to the kitchens and she turned to Cal, whispering loudly to him since he now sat so close to her.

"We're getting cake Mister Sarah." she wiggled her eyebrows. "Best. Day. Ever."

As the woman returned with two plates of cake and poured more wine, Órlaith could barely contain her excitement. "Thank you!"

She could smell the sugar. It was like the smell from the kitchens whenever the bakers were making sweet breads. She never dreamed she'd get to eat anything like it, and as she scooped the first forkful into her mouth, her tastebuds actually ached for a moment, unused to the sweetness. She chewed hesitantly as she stared down at the cake.. "Oh holy fuck."

Another forkful...

Another...

And suddenly she was crying, tears streaming from her eyes as she looked at Cal with a sniffle and a sob. "I just love it so fucking much.."

• Haha