LFG Brainstorm For a Roleplay!

Vii

The Storyteller
Character Biography
Link
Hey everyone!

I joined recently and I got my character made, so the last thing I need in order to start roleplaying is a partner(read: you). I already have your attention, so now I just need to catch your interest. To that end, I'm going to provide a brief description of my character(Violet) and its current situation in Arethil, and then I'm going to provide a bunch of ideas for roleplays I would be interested in starting up.

Here's a concise description of my character and its current circumstances:
Violet appears human on the surface, but in actuality, it is a sentient, autonomous magic item that is able to 'shapeshift' into mundane objects and creatures - kind of like a mimic or a doppelganger! However, that doesn't mean that it's humanity is a façade. Violet has a soul, a mind, and a personality, and it is most comfortable when it is walking around in its human form.

Violet was unearthed from deep within a mine under the Aberresai Savannah around a year ago and got traded around as a rare gem for several months before some spellcaster figured out how to activate it. Upon first activating, its mind was virtually blank save for a few simplistic survival and rational instincts. It had no ability to speak, it had no context with which to understand where it was or what it was doing there, and it was terrified of being destroyed. So it ran. And ran. And kept running. And once it got to a safe place and things stopped chasing it, it began to observe.

It figured out how to take the form of various creatures before long, and it began travelling. Over the course of a year, it figured out a lot of basic things about the world. It could mimic other creatures and objects it saw in order to learn more about what was 'normal' for them. Further, by taking many examples from the appearances of other travelers and people it met, Violet made itself a human body that felt 'just right' and which enabled it to interact with humans more easily. Through its various interactions as a traveler, it slowly began to understand the basics of the Common tongue, and also learned some of the basics of 'normal social interaction'.

As it traveled, however, it encountered a plethora of the horrific dangers of Arethil. Bandits, Warbands, Conmen, Corrupt Lawmen, and Wild Beasts and Monsters were some of the many threats that it faced. Invariably, Violet either ran away or submitted to these foes out of terror, but even that was rarely enough to avoid getting her body 'killed'. There were plenty of friendly travelers and acquaintances that Violet met along the way, but Violet's extremely limited grasp of Common served as a barrier which isolated Violet from them. Thus, the majority of Violet's experiences have been those of misery, leading up to the present.

And here are a few ideas that I came up with:
Someone loses a fight of some sort and is left for dead, and shortly thereafter, Violet passes by and notices the person on the ground. Once the coast is clear, Violet goes over to inspect the person and then tries to heal him/her. Shortly thereafter, the other creature wakes up.

Maybe the person Violet saved realizes what happened, is thankful, and wants to do something to repay Violet, despite how difficult it is for them to understand one another. This might lead to that person leading Violet over to someone important, like a figurehead in a political group who views the person Violet saved favorably. Or maybe the person themselves is a figurehead of some sort.

Alternatively, maybe the person sees Violet as 'something useful' and decides to take it along with him/her. Maybe the person thinks that Violet was trying to finish him/her off, and wants to interrogate Violet to find out more about the group he/she thinks Violet is with. Or perhaps he/she noticed something about Violet that meshes with a prophecy or some sort of command of an important figurehead that the person is beholden to. Could be any sort of thing.
Violet is travelling along a path on route to a nearby city or town when she happens upon a group of slavers/bandits disguised as travelers. They approach Violet and beg it to go over to town to get some help, trying to trick her into bringing people(and more importantly, their stuff) over to them. Violet doesn't suspect anything, so it goes over to the town/city and starts desperately trying to get people to help. A group of people who heed Violet's call head over, with Violet leading the way. Then the slavers ambush the group.

Maybe they're temporarily taken prisoner and have to escape? Maybe the slavers/bandits get wrecked? Either way, Violet isn't competent enough at Common to explain herself, so they're bound to find her actions incriminating, or at least suspicious. Maybe they'll group Violet in with the slavers once they're dealt with, and will try to get it indicted. If Violet ends up running away while getting indicted, that could lead to something interesting.

Alternatively, if the people who help Violet don't care about the law, they will probably at least ask for some sort of remuneration since she put them in harm's way. What will they ask for? Gold? I wonder what would happen if Violet just generates a gold coin out of thin air right in front of them. That's gotta lead to something interesting, right?
Violet happens to find herself in a situation where being present leads to other creatures wanting to do something to her. Maybe she happens to have witnessed a crime and the criminal wants to keep her silent. Maybe she happened upon a monster-in-disguise as its disguise drops, and the monster wants to make sure Violet won't reveal its identity. Or maybe someone mistakes Violet for someone else and tries to take her somewhere on false pretenses.

Alternatively, maybe Violet does something that puts someone else in a precarious situation. Like maybe someone dropped contraband, and before they can recover it, Violet finds it and picks it up, so they have to somehow convince her to give it back without anyone else discovering.

Or maybe Violet sees someone doing something magical and tries to mimic it, but ends up doing something remarkable and catching the other person's attention. Maybe she's just messing around with a stick and somehow manages to take on a sword fighting stance pretty well. Or maybe she successfully produces a spell that a wizard was prototyping. Either way, Violet's incompetence at Common would probably lead to some misunderstandings that'd be pretty entertaining.

If you saw something promising, or if you think that I would be great for a roleplay you're currently planning out or playing in, feel free to tell me about it! Either post below or send me a private message, either way should be fine.

If you want to know more about me as a roleplayer, check out the "About" section of my profile page. If you want to know more about my character, Violet, go ahead and check out the profile for my sub-account, Violet , since the "Wiki" tab on that account has way too much more information about it. And of course, if you have any other questions or comments, feel free to ask.

Thank you for reading!

• Yay
Reactions: Raigryn Vayd
Hello there again Roy! :D

Yes, I'm pretty interested to rp with you! I'm somewhat new here myself but I do have plenty of roleplay experiences for over 10 years and am running rpg forums on my own.

I just have to mention that I'm not an native speaker, but my posts do have some depth and insight, describing the surroundings, the feelings and thoughts. I read in your "about" that you want to improve describing the emotional part in your posts and so on. I'll gladly can give you feedback on that :3 (And you can correct my grammar anytime you want *laughs*)

I'm actually doing a new character who could fit. His char page will be done today, I'll let you know. But I can write you in Discord and tell about him and we can brainstorming there if you want!

Edit: I do like your character concept!

Last edited:
  • Yay
Reactions: Vii